PDA

View Full Version : Mad Cow Disease. A another worry in the US

Arwen
January 4th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Well, everyone heard about the infected cow that was found in the US during vacation?

I did... I gave up beef because of this... (I can live without beef for a while... though...)

Symtoms that I heard in a human is: Depression, forgetfullness, holes in brain.

Zento
January 4th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Holes in the brain is a very hard symtom to expect isn't it? ^^;; You can't really see it right off the bat. XD;

Yeah, I stopped eating beef as well, at least I like chicken. ;-;
By any chance do you know what states were having issues with it? I'm trying to be aware, and I tend to forget.

YAS1
I ate beef recently. It's not like they're going to package infected beef. There might be a cure in 2005.

SonicUmbreon
Yeesh.. I'm not that freaked out. I live in the seconed largest beef producing state in the US, Kansas. I live on a farm, even though we don't raise cattle.. Each farm that is around us has cattle. Around here when the first cow in Canada got Mad Cow, the beef prices shot up. But I knew if it was in Canada, it would get here. But anyway, there hasn't been any human cases of Mad Cow on this continent. So don't give up beef, unless you live near Washington and there are human cases

Alakazam
January 4th, 2004, 04:12 PM
I don't eat meat, but I eat fish, so I'm ok. I just think meat is gross, but I eat fish since I need some sort of protein, otherwise I would be dead. Thank you.

Arwen
January 4th, 2004, 04:13 PM
I'm taking no chances... *eats a chicken...*...

Anyway, I don't eat that much uhhhh... beef...

punkie90
January 4th, 2004, 04:23 PM
What! No more beef for me. Eww. my stomac is rumbling...

Arwen
January 4th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Chicken is better than beef! It's less fatting!!!

:P

Kayleigh
January 4th, 2004, 04:44 PM
I've never really enjoyed eating beef. Just the thought of a dead cow makes me sick. But... I do like chicken. ._. *gets kicked out of her Animal Protection group*

JK. XP I'm not going to completely stop eating meat, but I have cut down lately. (Not that I ate a lot of it anyways.) There's an extremely rare chance of anyone ever catching that disease, though if anyone wanted to quit eating meat then I wouldn't blame them. So many animals have become extinct--or nearly extinct, just because of some hunters that wanted to make a stupid fur coat. It's sad, really. I even read that the Bengal tiger should be extinct by 2010.

Frostweaver
January 4th, 2004, 04:45 PM
no point in "*gasp* I'm not eating beef anymore!".

As cows have a LONG time before showing symtops of Mad Cow disease themselves. They can "hide" the disease up to 7 years long. So if you ate beef within the last 7 years, you got just as much chance of getting it as eating beef like usual or banning beef for your diet starting from today. Whatever you do, just have to depend on luck now...

Cherrim
January 4th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Moo.

Er... yeah. I highly doubt there's anything to worry about. In the days after the initial incident, I was reading the papers and experts say that the cow likely contracted the disease because of the feed it was given was from the UK, I believe. The disease probably originated in one cow which was used to make feed for animals, which was then used to feed the cow which later contracted the disease. @_@; Whatever the cause, it's not making me give up beef. I love it and in my family, we often have once a week or more. =\ There has only been one case of BSE/Mad Cow originating in Canada (and possibly the one linked to Canada which occured in the US recently), so I don't really see the need to worry.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/madcow/index.html

The above URL is a pretty good page for information, if you want to know more. =\

punkie90
January 4th, 2004, 04:50 PM
i know. But mystomic stilll hurts. Glad i ate chicken today! Go hotdogs!!!

Arwen
January 4th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Depending on luck????

The probality of getting it is 1/As many cows in the US

Don't take chances

Frostweaver
January 4th, 2004, 04:58 PM
nah... the chances is (mysterious number as there are too much related factor)/(how many cows there are in the whole world). The "Canada Mad Cow" incident earlier was actually a cow sold from the US -_-. So as you see it's too hard to track down where the disease came from (but the very first case in the world is found within UK boundaries). No point of "don't take chances now so don't eat cow" as you took the chances already by eating beef years ago...

Arwen
January 4th, 2004, 05:01 PM
But, still..... I am still not going to eat any more cow!!!!

(Even I ate it before, it's not tinted...)

Mystical Mewtwo
January 4th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Two cows are sitting on a hill. One says,

"Hey, bill, have you heard about this new mad cow disease? Are you worried?"

The other one replies,

"Why would i care? I'm a helecopter!"

Hehehe. Just lightening the mood. but it is something to worry about, but im not giving up on beef yet!

Legendary Anime
January 4th, 2004, 05:21 PM
You have a WHOLE lot better chance of getting appendecitise(sp?) which can kill you just as easily if not taken to a hospital fast. You shouldn't worry as much as you are about something like this.. May as well not eat anymore beef until they come up with a cure. But that's just stupid. ^~

~Legendary Anime, The Old Legendary Moderator

Arwen
January 4th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Well, it's tempary. I will start eating beef when theres no mad cow in the US...

Legendary Anime
January 4th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Ok... So why didn't you stop years ago?

Arwen
January 4th, 2004, 05:47 PM
There was no case in the US years ago... This only happened so recently.

>_>

Cherrim
January 4th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Well, it's tempary. I will start eating beef when theres no mad cow in the US...
I see where you're coming from, but you're just being paranoid. If everyone was really that worried about it, they would do what Japan is doing now and check EVERY animal being slaughtered for human consumption for BSE to make sure it's okay. But since the US and Canada isn't doing that, you can probably expect that the experts know what they're doing and don't think it's necessary.

Btw, LA... why reverting back to the old username? ^^;

EDIT: Just got Arwen's post. There may not have been a case years ago, but you can't really notice the symptoms of BSE in live animals until a few years after the disease is contracted... and you can only confirm the disease if the animal is already dead by checking the brain.

Shining Arcanine
January 4th, 2004, 05:57 PM
I'm not worried. The FDA knows how to keep people healthy and the virus is located in the central nervous system. You only have to worry if you buy the cheap beef.

Not to mention the cow came from Canada. I believe Canada still feeds their cows ground up animal parts that couldn't be sold (e.g. spine, brain, etc). Hmm... The cows that are fed grain don't get sick and the ones that are fed the parts of dead cows get sick. Maybe there is a link.

Legendary Anime
January 4th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Because I'm tired of people saying: "Oh, you're Legendary Anime from PC a while back". ^^;

Do you think the cow got the disease and died all in the same day? And who cares if there wasn't a case. What if there wasn't any 'case' now, yet in 5 years there was a case and you said the same thing? There's as much of a chance for it to happen now, 5 years from now, or 100 years from now.

Arwen
January 4th, 2004, 06:01 PM
The cow is sposed to eat grass! Not meat... -_-... *sighs*

There can be a link to that.... though..

Cherrim
January 4th, 2004, 06:04 PM
I'm not worried. The FDA knows how to keep people healthy and the virus is located in the central nervous system. You only have to worry if you buy the cheap beef.

Not to mention the cow came from Canada. I believe Canada still feeds their cows ground up animal parts that couldn't be sold (e.g. spine, brain, etc). Hmm... The cows that are fed grain don't get sick and the ones that are fed the parts of dead cows get sick. Maybe there is a link.
From what I've read, the cow that contracted the disease had eaten feed made from ground up animal parts... but the feed had come from the UK. The farmers probably didn't know the disease could live that long. Once this idea surfaced, I'm fairly certain Canada ceased to use any feed from the UK whatsoever.

Besides, just because the diseased animal came from Canada (which, to my knowledge, has NOT been confirmed yet) doesn't mean that it got the disease here. You can't rule out the possibility it got the disease in the US. Also... didn't the first cow that got the disease in Canada come from the US, or was that just a rumour I'd heard?

edit: Quoted twice... whoops. XD

DragonTrainer
January 4th, 2004, 06:07 PM
I'm not worried about this, anyone who is freaking out is just paranoid

Chances are extremely rare to get it.Besides, has any human got it yet?

Cherrim
January 4th, 2004, 06:09 PM
No. No human in North America has gotten the disease. There were some cases in the UK (and possibly Japan, but I'm not too sure on that one), but there haven't been any reported here yet.

DragonTrainer
January 4th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Well, what do people exacly do when they have the disease?

Greed
January 4th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Ever since that, my mum's not letting me eat beef at all @@;

Hmm.. Frostweaver's got a good point, but then again, how come not so many people get it? O.o;

*gets killed by Mad Cow Disease*

Cherrim
January 4th, 2004, 06:24 PM
People aren't getting the disease simply because the diseased animals were found before the meat went to packaging or whatever happens after the slaughter. (Yeesh.. it sounds really harsh. Well, it is... but still. x_X; )

The human symptoms are... I dunno. My computer is going all screwy and I can't seem to open more than one website at a time. Maybe this one will help, though. It's a FAQ on the human-form of mad cow disease:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/english/diseases/cjd/bg2.html

Frostweaver
January 4th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Look at it this way people...

Compare how many people die from the "common cold" (a disease that we dont' do a thing about because it's 'weak') every year to the amount of people who died from "Mad Cow Disease" (a disease that is vital and deadly, uncurable which means everyone should be prepared about). Look at the numbers now, and fix up some common sense... Either be paranoid to both of them, or drop the grudge for Mad Cow... Help out the beef industry by simply purchasing beef... it's a big help already.

Arwen
January 4th, 2004, 06:48 PM
-_-... and throw it out after you purchase it????

*sighs*

latiosspud
January 4th, 2004, 07:02 PM
-_-... and throw it out after you purchase it????

*sighs*
There's nothing else to do but to eat it so eat it. The chances of getting it are lower than winning the lottery.

Arwen
January 4th, 2004, 07:18 PM
I saw the news and theres a case in the US of Mad Cow Disease!

*freaks out*

Miyu-chan
January 4th, 2004, 07:21 PM
I've heard that the chances getting it are about the same as being hit by a plane falling from the sky. =P I'm still eating it though... (once in a while...) ._.

Keleri
January 4th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Whoa, people get scared easy, don't they...look, it was ONE COW. And if you're still nervous, don't eat hamburger or sausages. Muscle tissue (steaks) is FINE. The preons that cause the disease are found in the brain, spinal cord and eyes of infected cows. I live in Alberta, which is where the Canadian mad cow scare happened...it was one cow here too. Look, our industry has suffered incredibly...you guys should support yours and continue to buy beef. And like I said, only buy steaks if you're concerned, but seriously. The reason why it was so bad in the UK was because they tried to cover it up, and people ate infected hamburger and things. It's really not worth worrying about.

Legendary Anime
January 4th, 2004, 08:44 PM
I've heard that the chances getting it are about the same as being hit by a plane falling from the sky. =P I'm still eating it though... (once in a while...) ._.

LOL! Luckily I don't live near an airport. ^~

"In August, 2002 the first confirmed case of variant CJD was diagnosed in Canada. However, all the evidence indicates that, in this case, the individual was infected in the UK. There have been no subsequent cases of variant CJD in Canada." ~ From the FAQ Lightning provided

Ok, look there. First report in 2002. Yet they've been scanning people from the UK, etc. since the 1980's. Obviously it's not too bad...

Frostweaver
January 4th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Whoa, people get scared easy, don't they...look, it was ONE COW. And if you're still nervous, don't eat hamburger or sausages. Muscle tissue (steaks) is FINE. The preons that cause the disease are found in the brain, spinal cord and eyes of infected cows. I live in Alberta, which is where the Canadian mad cow scare happened...it was one cow here too. Look, our industry has suffered incredibly...you guys should support yours and continue to buy beef. And like I said, only buy steaks if you're concerned, but seriously. The reason why it was so bad in the UK was because they tried to cover it up, and people ate infected hamburger and things. It's really not worth worrying about.
Yay! that makes 3 Albertians for PC ;P
I'll laugh out loud so hard if it's Edmonton XD

Well... Edmonton is the capital of Alberta so obviously I'm eating beef from "infected zone". I'm perfectly fine still talking and breathing and my heart is breathing (i think). As I said before, you may have gotton Mad Cow disease already as it shows its symptoms up to 7 years later after the infection. So pretty much you're not helping anything at all if you stop eating beef now, unless you quitted eating beef ever since 1997 then I suppose you can keep up the "banning."

igtica
January 5th, 2004, 03:54 AM
lol this never made a difference to me being vegetarian, but here in the UK we've been there and done that. To be honest there's nothing to worry about for all you US carnivous types. Mad cows disease and foot and mouth has effected out cattle, but there was bearly any effects on humans, except the crisis of loss of cattle and revenue. Besides I'm sure it'll be controlled easily.

argh i just realised how formal this post was :P well thats what I get for going on PC and revising at the same time. :p soz about that.

Lucifer
January 5th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Yeah, the UK had a BSE outbreak amongst cattle a while back. Absolutely nothing to worry about at all.

I think a handful of people were actually infected. I really can't remember.

Missingno Baby
January 5th, 2004, 07:33 AM
There is only one, logical explanation 4 this....I duno!
But why call it MAD cow disease? The cows are probably sad they have it!

Cherrim
January 5th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Does it count if you lived in Edmonton for 5 years of your life? ^_^;;

Anyway... Missingno Baby, to answer your question: they nicknamed the disease "mad cow" because of the way cows act when they start showing the symptoms. They'll get dizzy and they'll walk sort of funny. o_o; Therefore, it seems like they've gone mad.

Arwen
January 5th, 2004, 02:14 PM

Well... Edmonton is the capital of Alberta so obviously I'm eating beef from "infected zone". I'm perfectly fine still talking and breathing and my heart is breathing (i think). As I said before, you may have gotton Mad Cow disease already as it shows its symptoms up to 7 years later after the infection. So pretty much you're not helping anything at all if you stop eating beef now, unless you quitted eating beef ever since 1997 then I suppose you can keep up the "banning."
Do you eat ground meat?

I gave up ground meat while back.. -_-

Dizzy
January 6th, 2004, 12:19 PM
I'm Not at Risk and I will tell you why... I dont eat Beef or Pork because its against my whole existance.. And If I ever Do eat Beef, I know where its coming from not the Supermarkets that contract this Disease.

YAS1
January 7th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Chicken is better than beef! It's less fatting!!!

:POh, please! Beef is as good as chicken! Have you ever heard of chicken ham? *raspberry*Oh and BTW, I had fried chicken today for lunch at school! Have a cow man!
http://images.theglobeandmail.com/RTGAM_Archive/images/20030808/weuro0808/0808beach2.jpg

Tweak
January 7th, 2004, 10:06 PM
good thing i never really liked beef that much, i prefer chicken and turkey cause they taste better. the only time i like beef is in a burger or a taco.

japan tests all its cattle for the disease, versus the fact that USA only tests 20000/35 million =-= that is a SMALL fraction. :) o well, if u get the disease u get it. *crunches on a taco and eats a mcdonalds cheeseburger*

Legendary Anime
January 7th, 2004, 10:20 PM
lol this never made a difference to me being vegetarian, but here in the UK we've been there and done that. To be honest there's nothing to worry about for all you US carnivous types. Mad cows disease and foot and mouth has effected out cattle, but there was bearly any effects on humans, except the crisis of loss of cattle and revenue. Besides I'm sure it'll be controlled easily.

argh i just realised how formal this post was :P well thats what I get for going on PC and revising at the same time. :p soz about that.

I'd be a vegetarian easily if it wasn't for the fact that without meat, you lack protein which is very unhealthy.

Dizzy
January 8th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Chicken is better. Like Arwen said It's Less fattening, and it has just as much protein as beef, Chicken has saved my life, Not beef. Beef is NOT good at all.

My Whole family ( From Grandmother to Little Cousins ) eat Chicken, Fish and Turkey.. Its better for you if you want to live a long life.

Remember everyone, Think of the Suffering people in India who DONT eat BEEF and then you will know.

Shingo`
January 8th, 2004, 05:22 PM
>_> note: stay away from burgers;
meat from like 4000 cows could be in one, buy the organic kind (the ones that are fed what nature put on their menu: grass)

Tweak
January 8th, 2004, 07:12 PM
i eat organic chicken eggs. =D the brown colored ones. but i think da brown colored and white colored eggs taste the same.

USA imports cattle from mexico...think about it, mexico, a country who's health standard are below that of USA. very smart move USA. ^_^;;; but it is cheaper and all those cattle people are thinking about is profit.

hey! jack in the box has turkey burgers! and most places have chicken and salads. you'll just have to go to KFC more now.

i like that cow picture! (on the beach)

jynx
January 9th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Well, everyone heard about the infected cow that was found in the US during vacation?

I did... I gave up beef because of this... (I can live without beef for a while... though...)

Symtoms that I heard in a human is: Depression, forgetfullness, holes in brain.
Oh well, why not eat Tauros instead? Pokemon surely won't get infected XDDD

Cosmos
January 9th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Uh oh, I just ate prime rib for dinner and that is beef. Hopefully I don't get infected with the mad cow disease o_o

Keleri
January 10th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Uh oh, I just ate prime rib for dinner and that is beef. Hopefully I don't get infected with the mad cow disease o_o

Like I said, it's only the ground beef and sausage you have to worry about...not muscle cuts. _;;