PDA

View Full Version : The Battle Frontier of the Bands!

EmeraldSky
July 4th, 2005, 02:55 PM
"The Battle Frontier of the Bands!"

Episode 1: Rock On, Pokemon!

A summer breeze ruffled the bedroom curtains, revealing the room's owner sprawled out on his bed, his messy black hair splayed across the pillow. The boy appeared to be admiring one particular poster on the wall: a poster that depicted a brown haired girl clad in a sparkling blue shirt and black pants; clutching a microphone in one hand as she sang. Underneath the girl's picture was her name: Icy Kayou.

The boy sighed as he admired Icy's picture. Oh Icy...if only I could play with you...or for you! he thought as he turned to look at a red-brown acoustic guitar sitting on a stand in the corner. Then we could go all around Kanto... He was about to muse some more until he heard a rustle on the floor. Huh? He quickly glanced on the floor, where he saw a tiny yellow mouse creature looking back up at him. "Oh! Hi, Pikachu!" he cooed as he cradled the creature in his arms.

"Pika!" Pikachu chirped back in response to his master...until he heard a familiar female voice calling from the kitchen. "Ash! Dinner!"

"Coming!" Ash climbed off his bed and started for the hallway, only pausing to grab a red hat with a black and green Poke Ball design from the hat stand by his dresser. "You hungry, Pikachu?" he asked the little Pokemon as he trooped downstairs. Pikachu gave an affirmative nod as Ash set him on the kitchen floor, where he skittered over to an already filled bowl. He watched as the other occupants of the house arrived and settled at the table.

Ash, meanwhile, hungrily admired the meat and rice on his plate, but just as he was about to take a bite, he felt a stinging sensation on his hand. "Hey!"

"Hey, yourself!" the girl next to him snapped, only pausing to blow a wisp of her flaming orange hair from her face. "Wait for everyone else to sit down first!"

"What's all the ruckus about?" an older boy asked as he took his place at the table, only pausing to stretch his tanned arms towards the ceiling.

"Ash is trying to start eating before we do!" the girl explained.

"But I'm hungry, Misty!" Ash protested.

"How can you be hungry when--"

"ENOUGH!" the older boy snapped, pounding a fist on the table for emphasis.

Delia sighed as she sat down at the table. "Thanks, Brock...you sure know how to stop an argument."

"I've had lots of practice..." Brock assured Delia as he began to eat. "Which reminds me...I got you Ash's birthday surprise today..."

"Good..." Delia smiled. "Should I wrap it or not?"

"Nah...I want to cherish the look on his face when he sees what it is!" Misty laughed. At this, Ash's mind began to race as he ate: Could it be...did Mom really get me the guitar I wanted? Then I'll be able to jam along with Icy...

---------

Sunshine go away today...Don't feel much like dancing. Icy Kayou sang to a cheering crowd. Ash stood nearby, jamming along with the band on a red and white electric guitar. He smiled as the crowd began to cheer for him..."Ash!" "Ash!" "Ash!"...
---------
"Ash..." Brock waved a hand in front of Ash's face. "You there? I'll eat your dessert if you won't..."
"What?" Ash gasped, instantly snapping out of his daydream. "I'd die without chocolate chunk ice cream!" With that, he raced to the freezer to get the ice cream...

"What were you thinking about so hard?" Misty was curious.

"Just daydreaming about my surprise..." Ash replied as he sat down with his ice cream.

"Well, that's for me to know now, and for you to find out tomorrow..." Brock smiled. "By the way, May and Max are coming to your party...as are Hiro, Kamon, and Crystal."

"Really?" Ash was surprised at this. "It's been so long since I've heard from Hiro..."

"According to the letter he sent you today..." Brock continued, reaching for a piece of paper on the table. "he says: 'Kamon, Crystal, and I will be arriving in Kanto tomorrow--just in time for your birthday! But you'll find out what our presents are.'...sound good?"

"Good? That's great!" Ash cried as he put his dishes in the sink and raced back up to his room...

The next day...

"Morning, big guy...and happy birthday!" Misty called as she opened the curtains in Ash's room, allowing the sunshine to stream inside.

"Thanks, Misty..." Ash yawned as he climbed out of bed and trudged to the closet...only to see Pikachu resting on the top shelf! "Oh!"

"Pikapika, Pikapi!" Pikachu replied as he presented a thousand credit bill to Ash. Ash just smiled, slipped the bill inside his wallet, and began to get dressed....

---------

Ash trooped downstairs into the festively decorated kitchen, just in time to see a wrapped present on the table. "Who's this one from?" he asked as he fixed himself a bowl of cereal.

"That would be mine..." Delia replied as she tended to some bacon simmering on the stove. "You can open it now, if you want."

Ash tore open the wrapping paper and smiled as he lifted a framed picture of him, Delia, and Pikachu from the ribbons and bows. "This is so beautiful...thank you." he stammered.

"You're welcome." Delia replied as Ash set the picture aside. "I gave Pikachu the other part of my present..."

"...which is nice and safe in my wallet!" Ash laughed as he put his bowl in the sink.

"Well, hurry and finish getting ready, everyone will be here soon!" Delia called after Ash as he sped upstairs to the bathroom.

----------

Several hours later....

Ash smiled as he admired the array of presents his friends had given him: CDs from May, T-shirts from Hiro and Kamon, a new video game from Max, DVDs from Crystal, and posters from Misty and Brock. "Thank you all!" he began. "The gifts are nice!"

"Our pleasure..." Misty replied as she helped herself to more cake.

"Hold everything!" Brock interrupted as he set his plate of cake aside and produced a blue bandanna from his pocket. "We still have to give Ash the big surprise!" With that, he proceeded to blindfold Ash.

Delia laughed as Ash groped about, trying to find his way to the living room. "Did you really have to blindfold him?"

"Why not? It'll make the surprise even nicer..." Brock replied. "Okay! Take a look!" he called as he removed the blindfold...and Ash gasped when he noticed what was before him: the guitar he had dreamed of, plus all the accessories!

"YAHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" Ash cried as hugged his best friend. "Thank you so much!"

"Anytime, champ!" Brock laughed as Ash settled down in a chair, flicked the amp on, and begin to tune his new instrument.

"Ooh, play something!" Misty begged. May and Crystal nodded in agreement.

Ash thought for a moment, then began an oddly relaxing melody; over which he sang:

There is, a house, in New Orleans...
That they call the Rising Sun...
And it's been, the ruin, of many a poor boy...
And oh, I know I'm one....

Delia was shocked! "I didn't know Ash knew 'House of the Rising Sun'!"

"I taught him that one way back when he first started the guitar...seems like eons ago now..." Brock replied as Misty joined in on the piano to compliment Ash. He led the applause when the song concluded...

---------

"Thank you for everything, Mom." Ash smiled as he climbed into bed that night, all the while admiring both of his guitars sitting next to each other in one corner of the room.

"I'm glad, Ash..." Delia replied. "See you in the morning..." she whispered as she flicked off the light.

---------

"Morning!" Ash called to Delia as he entered the kitchen.

"Morning..." Delia replied as she finished cleaning the kitchen. "Would you mind going to the store to pick up a few things for me?"

"Okay..." Ash replied as he accepted Delia's list and started for the door, Pikachu in tow. "Be back later!" He waved goodbye as he disappeared down the road.

---------

"Let's see...bread, milk, eggs..." Ash read as he studied Delia's list. He was about to read more items when he noticed Pikachu frantically pointing out a poster taped to a street light. "What is it?"

"Pika!" Pikachu called. "Pika pi!"

"Look at it? Okay..." and Ash walked closer to the poster and glanced at it. "Battle of the Bands...three weeks from now...and first prize is....FREE BATTLE FRONTIER PASSES???" Ash couldn't believe his eyes.

"Pika pika, pika pika chu..." Pikachu sang, all the while "playing" a pantomime guitar.

"You think we'd be a great band? Let's ask everyone when we get home, okay?" Ash assured Pikachu as the two of them entered the grocery store.

To Be Continued....

EmeraldSky
July 5th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Episode 2: The Birth of the Red Masters

"I'm home!" Ash called as he set the grocery bags on the table. "Here's the change..." With that, he set the extra credits in the change jar sitting on the counter.

"Thank you Ash..." Delia replied as she washed the breakfast dishes. "Off to play guitar for a while?"

"Actually, I've got something I want to tell everyone..." and Ash raced into the living room, where everyone else was gathered. "Guys! I have great news!"

"We just won 10 billion credits?" Brock joked. Misty just sighed--that was Brock's typical reponse whenever someone said they had good news, but judging from Ash's enthusiasm, she knew this was pretty important.

"Not quite, but it's the next best thing!" Ash smiled as he unfurled a copy of the poster before the others, causing some curious murmurs to go wafting through the room.

"Battle of the Bands?" Kamon asked, studying the flyer intently. "Sounds fun!"

"Yeah...." Hiro agreed. "However...I'm not sure I can play anything, or even sing!" Crystal winced at this--she and Kamon both knew Hiro didn't have the greatest of voices...

"That's okay, you can help us out!" Ash assured Hiro before turning to address Kamon and Crystal. "You guys want to help me make a band?"

"I'll think of something to play!" Crystal assured Ash as she got up from her place on the floor and stretched. "I can play a variety of instruments, like fiddle, Pokeflute, saxophone, trumpet..." she continued, counting off the various instruments on her fingers.

"If you need a bassist, count me in!" Kamon agreed, psyched at the prospect of playing in a band.

"May? You want to help?" Ash asked as he turned to May, who was engrossed in a game of poker with Max.

"Well..." May thought for a moment as she discarded a few cards from her hand, then drew three more. "If you're singing lead, I can probably sing backup...." She paused as Max interrupted. "Pair of Kings--beat that!" May revealed her hand to Max--a pair of Aces! Max sighed, knowing this was the third time in a row May had beaten him.

"I think I can take drumming duty..." Brock began as he stared out the window. "Back in Pewter, a good friend of mine taught me both guitar and drums...but it's been a while since I've done any drumming, so I may be a bit rusty."

"Hmmm...." Misty thought for a moment, then continued. "I've never played in a band before...I mean, I've enjoyed playing the piano for fun, but not in front of a few thousand people!"

"It's not that bad, Misty..." Brock smiled as he placed a hand on Misty's shoulder. "In fact, performing's a lot of fun!"

"Please, Misty?" Ash begged. "We need a keyboard player, and since you play the piano really well..."

"Oh, all right....if it means that much to you..." Misty sighed as she got up from the floor. "In fact, I think I have a digital piano in my room somewhere..."

----------

"Wow..." Ash gasped when he entered the basement the next day. "You moved all this in here?"

"Well, I had a little help..." Hiro laughed as he gestured to Max making some final adjustments on Misty's digital piano stand. "The whole practice in the basement thing was Kamon's idea..." he explained, gesturing to Kamon tuning a black bass guitar nearby the piano. "Guitars are over here..." he continued as he led Ash to a microphone in the center of the room, where both of Ash's guitars were waiting. "Max even tuned them for you..."

"With my tusty pocket tuner!" Max added as he finished setting up a small mic on the digital piano.

"What's the mic on the piano for?" Ash was curious as he selected his new electric guitar and settled down in a chair before his mic.

"So in case I want to sing backup, I can!" Misty replied as she entered the basement and settled before the piano. After adjusting a few settings, she started a light melody. Ash and Kamon soon joined in, making a relaxing groove fill the air.

"Sounding great, you guys!" May smiled as she entered the basement and took a place by a mic next to Ash. "But we still need a drummer..."

"No problem!" Brock laughed as he entered the basement and made himself comfy at the drums. "Let's see if I remember how to do this..." With that, he started a steady beat...

"Not bad!" Misty smiled. She led the others into a catchy groove complimenting Brock's own beat.

http://s13.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1MGUL9RFMSTRZ28C6VV7R2D6CW

When the song concluded, Ash turned to see Crystal applauding as she entered the room. "That was great, you guys!"

"Well, since we're here...why don't we think of a name for the band?" Misty suggested. "I suggest 'Kanto's Rainbow'!" The guys all gagged at this.

"Rule of band naming number 1, Misty...the band's name should reflect what kind of music it plays..." Kamon began. "and judging from that light groove we played earlier, I think we'll specialize on soft rock and light jazz..."

"Good point, Kamon..." Crystal agreed. She thought for a moment, then replied. "How about 'Cool Rockin''?"

"I don't think so..." Brock sighed. May and Misty shook their heads no in agreement.

"Um...'Dancing Star'?" Max interjected.

"Definitely not!" May sighed.

"'Groovin' Pika'?" Hiro suggested as he stooped down to pet Pikachu.

"Mmm...nah." everyone agreed.

"How about 'Icy Groove'?" Brock suggested.

"That's a little better..." Crystal agreed. "But remember, Ash gets the final say..."

"What do you think, Ash?" Misty asked. "Any ideas?"

"Hmm..." Ash glanced around the room for a moment, making a note of all the red he saw in the room: his cap and guitar, the drum set, May's clothes... "How about 'The Red Masters'?

"Cool!" Crystal laughed.

"Yeah! Perfect!" everyone else agreed.

"All right! The Red Masters it is!" Ash cried. "Howsabout we jam a bit to celebrate?" He snapped a few times to count everyone off, and a jazzy rock beat filled the air!

http://s13.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=21QHFBXWMZE1Y3SLC67B1JBJ8S

---------

"That was a great song you guys were playing down there!" Delia smiled as she waited for Ash to get comfortable for the night. "I thought I left the radio on at first, but when I heard you guys playing, you sounded great!"

"Thanks..." Ash replied as he pulled the covers up over his head. "Tomorrow we hope to get some actual songs written..."

"Maybe you'll get an idea in your dreams." Delia replied as she turned out the light, leaving Ash to sleep.

To Be Continued...

EmeraldSky
July 6th, 2005, 07:19 AM
Episode 3: Shake, Rattle and Roll!

Ash yawned as he entered the basement, where the others were having either a quiet jam session or relaxing on the floor. "Morning, everybody!" he smiled as he settled into his place at the front and began tuning up.

"Morning..." Max yawned. "Like the decoration May and I made for the drums?"

"Wha.." Ash turned to look at the drums, where he noticed that the bass drum now had "THE RED MASTERS" written on it in glowing red tubing that looked like handwritten script. "Very nice!"

"It glows in the dark, too, so if you guys have to play at night, the audience will see the band name shining from the stage!" Max smiled, pleased with himself at his handiwork.

"Looks good, Max!" Hiro smiled as he sat down before the console with all the mic controls. "When's rehearsal going to start?"

"As soon as Brock and Crystal get here." Misty explained. "Brock's out mowing the lawn, and Crystal's..."

"Present!" Crystal smiled as she entered the basement. "Nice decor on the drums..." she noted as she took her place at a mic on Ash's left.

"Now to see how Brock reacts!" Ash smiled as he joined in the jam session Misty and Kamon were having with a light electric guitar riff.

"React to what?" Brock asked as he entered the basement. He couldn't resist smiling when he saw the script. "Nice touch! I like it!" he laughed as he settled in.

"Okay, we have our name, our instruments, now all we need are some songs to rehearse!" Ash cried, triumphantly strumming his guitar for emphasis. Brock added a drum riff in agreement.

"One problem: Where are we going to get a song?" Misty asked, concerned.

http://s23.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0EJJNSTTXWM5S1VWQWMDQOUSOK

"Simple...we'll make one up!" Ash replied. He motioned to Brock, who began tapping out a light beat. Misty joined in at the digital piano, adding a bouncy countermelody to Brock's rhythm. Ash joined in a few moments later with a mighty strum, which only served as the prelude to a blaring solo. He smiled as he strummed away. With this song, we'll be a hit at the battle of the bands! he thought as he wailed away, unaware that half the Growlithes on the block were barking loudly.

Then the girls began to sing: "Too far...take it easy....It's all right....Too far...take it easy....It's all right....Too far...take it easy....It's all right....

"Go, Ash!" Brock smiled. He intensified his beat as Ash launched into a deafening solo...

Meanwhile, in Professor Oak's lab...

"Anything I can do to help, Professor?" Tracey asked as he brought a sandwich to Prof. Oak.

"Not right now, thanks..." the peofessor replied as he took the plate from Tracey. "But thank you for the offer." He was about to bite into the sandwich when a high pitched note pierced the air, followed by the whole room shaking! "What in the world?" he asked as he scrambled to rescue a few statues from falling to the floor.

"Char!!!!" Charmander yelped, appalled by the noise.

"Bulba!" Bulbsaur agreed as he rushed to shield his ears!

"Squirtle?" Squirtle quickly sat up inside his pool, surprised by the noise.

"Char char!" Charmander explained as he hopped over to a drawer that had been jarred open by the shaking, rummaged through the clutter, and emerged wearing a pair of earmuffs. "Char..."

"Squirt..." Squirtle sighed as he inserted his trusty earplugs to block out the noise coming from down the road.

"What...earmuffs?" Prof. Oak was confused as to why Charmander was wearing earmuffs. "Ash must have his radio on loud...so this shaking's not an earthquake..." he mused as Bulbasaur walked by, a pair of cotton balls in his ears.

"What's going on? Tracey asked as he entered the lab, bewildered as to why all the Pokemon were all frantically looking for something to shield their ears.

"I'm going to go see what Ash is doing to make such a racket." the professor sighed as he started for the door. "He's making quite a bit of noise..."

---------

"Yeah!" Ash cried as he concluded his solo...just in time to see Delia in the basement doorway, a stern look on her face. "What?"

"Ash...I know you want to win a Frontier Pass;" Delia began. "but isn't the whole rock band thing going a little too far?"

"So you were the one playing that solo?" Prof. Oak joined Delia in the basement. "I must say, that was some nice guitar work, Ash!"

"Too Far...I like that name for that song!" May smiled. Delia just rolled her eyes.

"If you're going to practice, Ash, then at least give us some fair warning before you play..." Delia sighed as she trooped back up the stairs.
Just then, Tracey appeared next to Prof. Oak, applauding as he came down the stairs. "So was that really you playing that amazing solo? I'm impressed!" Ash took a bow, flattered by the applause. "In fact, I want to help you guys out somehow..."
"Depends...what can you play?" Crystal asked, unamused by Tracey's request.
"I may not be able to play anything...but I CAN do this!" With that, Tracey produced his trusty sketch book and started drawing. "Okay guys, get your instruments like you're going to play something..." he asked.

"What instrument should I be holding?" Crystal asked as she longingly glanced at a fiddle, Pokeflute, a saxophone, and various brass instruments, all gathering dust.

"Hmm...the saxophone would be good, and capture the style of music we play..." Kamon suggested. He waited as Crystal grabbed the saxophone and May grabbed a tambourine from a second pile. "Okay, start drawing!" he called to Tracey.

A few minutes later...

"Okay, take a look!" Tracey smiled as he displayed his completed portrait to the others. Above the group's picture he had written "Live: The Red Masters!" in the same script that was on the drums. Below that was the dates of the battle of the bands, plus the group's contact information.

"Wow!" May was impressed.

"Very nice!" Ash agreed.

"How bout it? Do I make a good PR guy?" Tracey asked.

"That's a nice poster..." Prof. Oak commented as he took the poster from Tracey and started back up the stairs, allowing Delia inside. "In fact, I'll make copies of it so you can put it up around the neighborhood!"

"While we're at it, let's record our demo tape in case anyone wants it!" Ash suggested. With that, he started a softer riff...The others joined in a few minutes later, with Crystal playing a somewhat recognizeable song...

http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=08SML5LBTAYSA1YKXPWFOATHCD

"It takes two, baby! It takes two, baby! Me and you...it just takes two! Delia sang along with Crystal as she began dancing to the music....

To Be Continued....

rikku girl
July 6th, 2005, 08:03 AM
stop double posting please

EmeraldSky
July 6th, 2005, 08:21 AM
In the fanfic thread, it's fine to double post, okay?

Coming up tomorrow:

--The first hit song from the Red Masters, or two!

EmeraldSky
July 7th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Episode 4: Success!

Crystal slumped to the basement floor, obviously bored. "Being in a band is boring when you don't have anything to rehearse..."

"Much less not having most of the band here..." Brock agreed as he practiced a rhythm. "I mean, the battle is only three days away..."

"...and although we have a decent repetoire of songs, every time we play most of them, we get yelled at or told it's not fast enough..." Kamon sighed as he tuned his bass. "I mean, what kind of music does Delia like, anyway?" Crystal shrugged--she wasn't sure what Delia liked either.

Just then, Ash entered the basement and got comfortable at his mic. "Morning, guys!" Bored murmurs answered his greeting, puzzling Ash. "What's the matter? Don't you guys want to rehearse?" he asked as began to tune his guitars.

"We do..." Kamon assured Ash. "but every time we play something, we either get yelled at or told it's not fast enough...so I was thinking we could write a song Delia would like." He paused as Misty and the others entered and made themselves comfortable, then continued. "So we need to know just what kind of song Delia likes." he concluded as he reached for some musical staff paper lying by the control console.

"Well..." Ash hadn't really given much thought into Delia's musical tastes, but he figured it would probably help Kamon and the others out in writing songs. "She likes a good beat..." Kamon nodded as he wrote a few lines. "but not too fast." Kamon quickly erased the tempo marking he had initially written and wrote a new number in its place.

"Okay...so here's the drum part at least..." Kamon smiled as he delivered a few pages to Brock, who immediately set to work trying the beat out.

"I have some lyrics!" Crystal interjected, shoving a paper into Kamon's face.

"Hold your Ponytas, Crystal!" Kamon laughed. "I'll write them in the guitar line!" With that, he continued to write.

"You know what Brock's groove reminds me of?" Misty asked as she adjusted a few settings on the piano.

"What?" May was curious.

"A disco beat!" Misty replied. "I mean, we could have a disco ball above us as we play..."

"I can arrange that!" and Hiro pressed a button on the control console, making a disco ball descend into the room. Oohs and ahs wafted through the room as the ball made tiny silver sparkles go dancing through the room.

"Way cool!" May cried as she grabbed a pair of shakers and began shaking them to Brock's beat.

"Guitar part for you, with lyrics..." Kamon called as handed Ash his part. "Would it be fine if May or Crystal sang the second verse?"

"Ooh!" Crystal begged. "I want to sing the other verse!"

"Then, you can!" Ash smiled as he started to practice his part...

Several hours later...

"How is everything down here?" Delia asked as she walked into the basement to check on the others.

"Well...we wrote another song..." Ash began. "and I think you'll like it! Wanna hear it?" he asked as the others got into position.

"Sure, Ash; I'd love to!" Delia smiled as she found a char by the basement entrance and sat down.

Ash snapped a few times to count everyone off, and a pounding disco beat began resonating through the room. As if on cue, the disco ball also appeared, making the already light filled room even brighter. After a short piano intro, a spotlight appeared on Ash, who began to sing as he played...

Starlight!
Shining so bright...make my spirit proud and strong!
This world,
I hold so dear...I will fight, defend its peace!

Standing here, the wind blows, show me the way...beneath the, great ocean, treasure's array...
Come take my hand, and I will guide you there....so follow me!

Dreams will begin, I'm singing Super Live!
Our light shines down upon this world, our great stage!
Love and my promise comes in Super Songs!
I give my courage to you... hear this song of love!
After another short interlude, the spotlight shifted to Crystal, who sang:

Starlight, the time has come!
Grant me wisdom for my quest!
So when, the future comes...my faith will be as it should!

The ice will, be broken, unite as one...one person, will rise up, against the dawn...
The truth inside me guides me steady on...to win the fight!

I give my love to you in Super Live!
Our tears and sweat protect this world, our great stage!
Shout out the battle cry of Chosen Ones!
Memories of this world will unite us as one!

When Crystal finished her verse, the spotlight returned to Ash, allowing him to do a short solo. Yet as he played, he noticed Delia clapping along as May and Crystal danced to the beat...he took that as a good sign as he sang again:

Standing here, the wind blows, show me the way...beneath the, great ocean, treasure's array...

I give my love to you in Super Live! Crystal sang again.
Memories of this world will unite us as one! The two began to trade off on the choruses, Ash singing one chorus, and Crystal the other:

Finally, Misty played one last interlude, concluding the song. Delia stood up and began to applaud. "Wonderful! I actually liked that song!"

"You did? Really?" Ash was psyched.

"Yes!" Delia replied. "You should play that in the battle!"

"Oh we will!" Ash set his instrument aside, ran to Delia, and gave her a joyful hug...

To Be Continued....

EmeraldSky
July 8th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Episode 5: Dueling Bandleaders

"I can't believe it! The battle of the bands starts today!" Crystal laughed as she led the others aboard the bus to go to the park.

"Me neither..." Ash agreed as he took a seat by the window, where he watched the various shops and buildings of Pallet roll by. "I mean, I know we've spent three weeks rehearsing our songs and all, but..."

"But what?" Misty asked, concerned by Ash's sudden fear.

"But..." Ash sighed. "I'm afraid I'll get nervous and forget what I'm supposed to sing...and I don't what to embarrass myself in front of thousands of people!"

"Relax, champ." Brock smiled. "We're going to be doing the song Delia liked as our first round song...so if you get nervous, just pretend that Delia's in the audience, where she could see you very well; and sing like she's the only one listening!"

"I'll remember that..." Ash smiled, comforted by Brock's advice. He stretched as the bus rolled into the park, where a large crowd was gathering around a stage. "The crew has our stuff, right?" he asked as he paid his fare and stepped off into the sunshine.

"They sure do! I can see Hiro and the others setting up!" Crystal smiled. She led the way through the crowd until she found Hiro, Max, Tracey, and a few others setting up the instruments, mics, and controls.

"Okay, gang..." Brock began as he consulted a rules sheet. "For the first round...each band plays one song that they know very well; and the top twenty go on to the next rounds..." He was about to read more when...

"ASH!" a familiar voice called. Ash swallowed hard as he saw Gary approaching him from the setup area. Could it be? My own rival, in a band?...

May noticed the concerned look on Ash's face. "What's wrong?"

"Gary's here..." Ash stammered. "and he looks determined to win..."

"Well, well...I didn't know my own rival had any musical blood in him!" Gary chided as he faced Ash. "What'cha gonna play, chump? 'Mary Had a Little Mareep'?"

"No we're not!" Ash snapped back. "We have a song that we know the audience will like!"

"Yeah, but the audience might be focusing on the girls more!" Gary retorted. "And we all know that a band is a guy's job...right, boys?" he smiled. Gary's bandmates nodded in agreement.

"Ooh..." Crystal stomped off to the storage area, reached for a trombone lying in the clutter, and proceeded to blast a note in Gary's face! Everyone laughed as Gary rubbed his ringing ears in pain.

"That was Crystal's opinion of you saying a band is a guy's job..." Ash replied. "Girls can be good bandmates too!"

"Whatever..." Gary sighed. "But know this: Any smarmy song you play doesn't hold a candle to us, the Blue Rivals!" With that, he strolled off to finish getting ready.

Oh yeah? We'll see what the audience thinks... Ash thought as he took his place by his mic, just in time to see a young man appear on the stage, the sparkles on his blue Hawaiian shirt glittering in the sun. "Who's that?"

"That's Scott; the manager of the Battle Frontier..." Brock explained. "He's the one sponsoring the battle."

"I see..." Ash noted as Scott began to make his opening remarks...

---------

"...So, I wish all of the bands the best of luck in the battle!" Scott concluded to thunderous applause. "Our first band today is...the Blue Rivals!" The audience cheered as a techno beat began to play over the speakers, followed by Gary and his bandmates appearing onstage. The keyboards and drums took over as the other bandmates began singing...

What can I do for you?

What can I do for you?
What can I do for you?
What can I do for you?
I can hear you...

What can I do for you?
What can I do for you?
What can I do for you?...

Far beyond the hazy borders of my heart... Gary joined in the singing.
I could see a place that's something like this,
Every now and then I don't know what to do...
Still I know that I can never go back...

But the things I've seen in those hazy dreams,
Can't compare to what I'm seeing now!
Everything's so different,
That it brings me to my knees...

And though I know the world of real emotion has surrounded me,
I won't give in to it!
Now I know that forward is the only way my heart can go....
I hear your voice calling out to me:
"You'll never be alone!"

What can I do for you?
What can I do for you?
What can I do for you?
I can hear you...

What can I do for you?
What can I do for you?
What can I do for you? the other bandmates sang again, until Gary reappeared in his spotlight to sing again:

I don't plan on looking back on my old life....
I don't ever plan to rely on you....
Even if by chance everything should go wrong,
You'd come anyway and try to save me....

Though from time to time it's an upward climb,
All I know is that I must believe....
'Cause the truth I'm seeking,
Always was inside of me!

And when I find the world of real emotion has surrounded me,
The many things that you taught me then....
Will always be enough to get me through the pain,
Because of you I am strong enough to know I'm not alone! With that, Gary broke of to solo as his bandmates continued:

What can I do for you?
What can I do for you?

What can I do for you?

What can I do for you?

What can I do for you?

What can I do for you?

I can hear you...

And if I find the real world of emotion has surrounded me... Gary sang again.
And I can't go on....
You are there the moment that I close my eyes to comfort me,
We are connected for all of time!
I'll never be...

And though I know the world of real emotion has surrounded me,
I won't give in to it!
Now I know that forward is the only way my heart can go,
I hear your voice calling out to me:
"You'll never be alone!"

What can I do for you?
What can I do for you?
What can I do for you?
I can hear you...

What can I do for you?
What can I do for you?
What can I do for you?
I can hear you... the other bandmates sang once again.

I can hear you... Gary sang one last time. He led the bows as the audience applauded.

"That was pretty good!" May agreed. "But we've got something better!" She was about to say more when Brock whistled, getting everyone's attention. "We're on! Scott just announced us!"

"Come on!" Crystal led the way onstage, where everyone got into position.

Ash took a deep breath as he looked out into the crowd. "Here goes... With that, he motioned for Misty to begin; and a pounding beat filled the air. He smiled as the audience oohed and ahhed over the disco ball's appearance. This one's for you, Mom... he thought as he began to sing:

Starlight!
Shining so bright...make my spirit proud and strong!
This world,
I hold so dear...I will fight, defend its peace!

I give my courage to you... hear this song of love! Some enthusiatic cheers came from the audience as the spotlight shifted to Crystal, who began to sing:

Starlight, the time has come!
Grant me wisdom for my quest!
So when, the future comes...my faith will be as it should!

The ice will, be broken, unite as one...one person, will rise up, against the dawn...
The truth inside me guides me steady on...to win the fight!

Suddenly, Ash noticed a familiar face in the crowd dancing to the song: Delia! This was enough to boost his spirits...so he played his solo with newfound gusto, culminating in his chorus...

I give my love to you in Super Live! Crystal joined in.
Memories of this world will unite us as one! The audience joined in as Ash and Crystal began trading off on the choruses...

Our tears and sweat protect this world, our great stage

"Thank you!" Ash called to the audience as the song concluded...

To Be Continued...

EmeraldSky
July 9th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Episode 6: Takin' it Slow

"Here we are!" Brock smiled as he lead the others inside a large and spacious trailer. "This is our complimentary trailer that Scott provided for us!"

"Wow...it feels almost like home." Ash smiled as he eased himself into an easy chair and flicked on the TV, where highlights of his and Gary's performances flashed on the screen. "And yet...I wonder how we did in the first round?" he asked as Crystal sat down on the nearby couch.

"Before I get to that though...one of your biggest fans came to see you..." and Brock set Pikachu down on the floor.

"Pika!" Pikachu called as he walked up to the chair and smiled at his master.

"Hi..." Ash cradled Pikachu in his arms. "How do you think we did in the first round?"

"Pika pika!" Pikachu smiled as he danced to the song coming from the TV. "Pi pika chu!"

"Well, I'm glad you liked it..." Ash replied as he got up from the chair and strolled into the kitchen, where Misty was fixing some popcorn. A line wound around the room behind her: Kamon waited to fix a TV dinner for himself, and Hiro waited to fix some microwaveable pasta. Everyone else was gathered around the table, eating what they had prepared.

"Now, as for how we did in the first round...that's good news-bad news time...: Brock started, but he was quickly cut off by everyone talking at once.

"The bad news first, so can get it over with!" May begged.

"Okay...the bad news is: Gary advanced to the next round." Everyone groaned at this.

"And the good news?" Kamon asked as he watched the numbers on the microwave tick by.

"But the good news is: We made it to the next round too!" Brock announced. Cheers erupted all across the room. "So...the next few rounds consist of several competitions to play certain kinds of songs, yet they all count as one round."

"So what do we have to play tomorrow?" Misty was curious.

"Tomorrow's competition..." Brock fumbled for his rules sheet, then continued. "Each band has to play a slow song..."

"That should be easy, since I bet Gary doesn't know any slow songs!" Misty laughed. Everyone else laughed along with her as they continued to eat.

The next day...

"Ready, Ash?" Crystal smiled as she joined Ash backstage, where Ash was tuning his guitars.

"As I'll ever be..." Ash replied as he selected his acoustic guitar and set it on a stand by his mic. "I picked the acoustic today because I felt it fit what we were going to play."

"Good choice!" May agreed. "I hope Crystal remembered to practice her part..."

"I did!" Crystal assured May, then strolled off to tune a waiting fiddle by her mic. Ash resumed tuning his own instrument, until he heard the audience cheer. I guess Gary's about to perform... he sighed as he listened to the drums and the bass start a relaxing beat, over which Gary sang:

Never know how much I love you,
Never know how much I care...
When you put your arms around me,
I get a fever that's so hard to bear!
You give me fever...
When you kiss me,
Fever when you hold me tight...
Fever!
In the morning,
Fever all through the night....

Ash couldn't resist tapping his foot to the beat. Come to think of it, this has a nice tune.. he thought as he took a few deep breaths to rid himself of the Beautiflies in his stomach.

"Nervous?" Misty asked as she joined Ash in the wings.

"A little..." Ash replied. "Yet...our song brings back memories of the Ponyta race I took part in..."

"It does to me, too..." Misty agreed. "I still remember you trying to control Epona...you were like 'Hey! How do you steer this Pokemon?'" Ash laughed along with her, although a little embarrassed at the fact he was laughing at himself. "But the important thing is...you won the race, right?"

"True.." Ash smiled as he stood up and stretched. "so I dedicate today's song to that race." he continued as he heard Gary conclude his song:

Now you've listened to my story,
Here's the point I have made:
Girls were born to give you fever,
Be it Fahrenheit or Centigrade
They given you fever,
When you kiss them,
Fever if you live and learn....
Fever!
Till you sizzle,
What a lovely way to burn...
"Get ready...we're on next!" Misty called as she led the way out to the stage...

---------

"And now, please welcome The Red Masters!" Scott announced. "The audience cheered once again as spotlights appeared on Ash and the others. When the applause died down, Ash began to play a calm and quiet melody. He tried to focus on his memory of Epona running on a plain as Kamon provided a steady bass line to compliment him...Finally, Ash started singing:

Epona, Epona, come out here by me...
As long as I see you out here, I will never shed a tear.
Tell me now, Epona, since you're here with me...
We shall rest here together, and our dreams will grow!

However as wind blows and rain becomes like snow,
As the fire of dawn comes again... Crystal added a light fiddle countermelody to compliment Ash's guitar.
The moon, it is setting now, rising is the sun,
Along with it's bright light, you return...

Epona, Epona, come out here by me...
As long as I see you out here, I will never shed a tear!
Tell me now, Epona, since you're here with me,
Listen please, for I will sing,
The song of this time!

At this, the others picked up the beat a little as Ash broke off to solo. He smiled...just singing this song made him remember the Ponyta he had written it for.

Hmm...Hmm....Hmm... he hummed as he finished his solo, then sang again:

However, as wind blows and blows and rain becomes like snow,
As the time keeps on passing by,
Even when I pass on, my voice will sing for you,
The song of this time!

Hmm...Hmm...Hmm...
As long as I see you out here, I will never shed a tear!

Hmm...Hmm...Hmm...
I will always remember the song of this time!
The song of, this time! He gave one last slow strum to end the song, to enthusiastic applause!

---------

"That song is so pretty..." May began as the group returned to the trailer that evening. "I wonder if Epona was a Ponyta you once owned?

"Not necessarily owned, but rented for a race." Ash explained as he settled on the couch next to May. "You see, Misty, Brock, and I were on our way to Celadon City one day...

To Be Continued...

Firemaker
July 9th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Will you tell the story in the next chapter?
Also he was in the safari zone

EmeraldSky
July 10th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Episode 7: Gotta Dance Again!

"Great job yesterday, you guys!" Hiro called as he brought breakfast to the others the next morning. He smiled as his platter of food was hungrily snapped up...

"Thanks!" Ash called back as he bit into a doughnut. "If the other kinds of songs we have to play are this easy, we'll win this round for sure!"

"I wouldn't say that about today..." Brock cautioned as he pushed his plate away and reached for his rules sheet. "The song we have to play today involves dancing..."

"That's easy!" Crystal giggled as she started for the bathroom. "Just play a fast song and the audience will be dancing!"

"No, no, no...you misunderstood..." Brock sighed. "The song has to be ABOUT dancing..."

"Oh..." the others replied, nodding to tell Brock they understood.

---------

"You sure this song fits in the rules?" Misty asked as the group got ready backstage.

"Sure, I'm sure!" Ash replied as he eased his electric guitar around him and started to tune up. "It might get the others dancing as well..."

"I just hope it holds up to Gary's performance..." Misty sighed as she heard Gary begin to sing out onstage:

Hey, you!
Come out here on the floor.
Let's rock some more.
Come out here on the floor,
Honey, let's rock some more, yeah!

Now when you get out here
Don't you have no fear.
Put your hands on your hip
And let your backbone slip
And work out.

Oh, my momma, move up (first step),
Party move back (second step),
Shuffle to the left (third step),
Wobble to the right (fourth step).

Now it's plain to see
You put a hurtin' on me
But it's a natural fact
I like it like that,
So work out!

"He's doing great out there..." May commented as she listened to the song:

Yeah, baby work out work baby, work out!
Honey, work out!
Ah, baby work out!
Shout and turn the joint out!
Work out!
Work out!
Work out all night long!
Yeah, yeah! (round and around and around and around)
Baby, round and round we go.
Don't you know, don't you know?
Round and round we go,
Where we stop, nobody knows.
The band is swinging on the stand,
We're moving in, we're moving out.
Then we'll step back now and end this dance with a shout,
So work out! Thunderous applause broke out in the audience.

"Show time..." Crystal called as she led the way out to the stage...Ash sighed and motioned for Misty to begin....and a blast of music filled the air!

One, Two, Three! Ash sang, only pausing for another hit from the keyboards. One, Two, Three! The rest of the band picked up the beat as Ash began to sing:

You gotta know how to pony, like Bony Maronie,
Mashed Potato, do the Alligator...
Put your hands on your hips, let your back-bone slip...
Do the Watusi, like my little Lucy....

At this, everyone stopped playing except for Ash, who was lightly drumming on his instrument, and Brock, who was keeping the beat.

Na, na na na na, na na na na, na na na, na na na, na na na na.... he sang.
Na, na na na na, na na na na, na na na, na na na, na na na na. Crystal sang along with Ash, leading all the other instruments into a break.

After playing for a while, the music stopped again, allowing Ash to sing again: Na, na na na na, na na na na, na na na, na na na, na na na na.

Na, na na na na, na na na na, na na na, na na na, na na na na. Crystal echoed Everyone else joined in as Ash continued to sing:

Dance with me honey, like Long Tall Sally
Twistin' with Lucy, doin the Watusi
Gotta hold of your back, I like it like that
Do the Jerk, watch me work
Ah, do it! With that, everyone launched into a rousing solo, bringing the crowd to its feet!

To Be Continued...

EmeraldSky
July 11th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Episode 8: Team Rocket's Rockin'!

"Pika pi!" Pikachu called as he pulled the covers off of Ash. "Pika pi chu!"

"...mrrgh, what is it, Pikachu?" Ash yawned as he climbed out of bed and plodded to the closet to get dressed.

"Pipika pika pika chu pi pika..." Pikachu explained. "Pika pi!"

"What?" Ash quickly finished getting dressed, grabbed his cap, and raced out the door. "I'm hurrying!" Pikachu followed along behind Ash as he hurried down the path to the backstage area.

---------

Meanwhile, in a clearing not too far away from the park, Team Rocket waited, all the while observing the crowd cheering for the bands. "Just look at'em...all yellin' and screamin'..." Meowth mused.

"I know..." James sighed. "I just wish we could get cheered for for once...but you know our objective...."

"Which reminds me..." Jessie interjected, only pausing to put her binoculars away. "Why don't we form a band ourselves and use our song to lure Pikachu and other Pokemon into our trap?"

"But..." James protested. "You know full well that I can't sing or play anything....plus where are going to find others to join us?"

"Obsoive..." and Meowth pressed a button on a remote control, making a brightly colored box marked "BAND-IN-A-BOX" spring open! Jessie and James watched, amazed, as several guitars, some keyboards, a black drum set with an 'R' on the bass, several other instruments, and enough mics and amps and players for each of the instruments emerged and arranged themselves in performing formation. "With dis Band-in-a-Box; we can have a band of our own!"

"What a great idea!" Jessie sneered. "So...Rockin' Rockets, huddle!" With that, the Rockets and their new bandmates huddled together, discussing song ideas.

----------

"Almost ready!" Ash smiled as he finished tuning up. "We're on in a few--" His statement was suddenly interrupted by a clarinet trill coming from the stage. "What the..."

"That wasn't me..." Crystal assured Ash.

"Huh?" Ash peeked out onto the stage...and gasped when he saw Team Rocket onstage, charming the Pokemon into a net with a strangly catchy song....

Hey look, and listen so carefully,
To such a sweet little melody,
The fairy of dreams is calling you!
Listen, oh listen, to hear her call!

She knocks on the door so quietly,
"Wake up, and hurry!" she calls to me.
On her ship of dreams we sail...
To a land full of sweet dreams and treats!

Oh, I am so full of dreams!
Of mint pie and apple pie,
Of sweet cake and happiness
and cookie-ookie-ookies!

I lick the last of this sweet pudding
And then eat a little chocolate
The fairy of dreams is watching me,
Smiling down on us from above!

"Chu..." Pikachu started to follow the sound, but Ash grabbed him by the tail. "Don't! It's a trap!" He suddenly yawned as the song started to calm him. "and I'm...tired..."

"Me too..." One by one, the others started to go to sleep...until a drum roll jarred them awake!

"What was that for?" Misty snapped. "I was enjoying a nap!"

"The Rockets...their song is putting people to sleep and charming Pokemon into their trap!" Brock explained, hurridly passing out earplugs to everyone. "So we need to get them off the stage, and fast!"

"Right!" Ash grabbed his electric guitar and tiptoed close to the wings, just as the Rockets sang:

Come, take my hand and we all will go,
Quiet, we sneak off into the dark...
Mom and Dad are not here, they are naught to be seen!
I will not be lonely, I am not afraid!

It is so boring to be alone,
And bossed around by near everyone,
In this land of dreams and treats, we're always yelling and screaming!

Hey look, close your eyes, what do you see?
A sweet aroma for you and me!
The fairy of dreams is waiting here!
Waiting, oh waiting, so patiently...

At that second, Ash delivered a mighty strum, sending the Rockets flying! "Show's over, Team Rocket!" he smiled as the Rockets disappeared with a *ping*.

"Now...since we were so rudely interrupted..." Scott continued as he returned to the stage. "please welcome the Red Masters!" He motioned for Ash to begin as he jogged offstage:

Ash started a soft intro, but quickly picked up the pace as he sang:

Close your eyes tonight and wish upon a shooting star!
See it fly into a million points of light!
Every promise, hope and prayer becomes a jeweled star!
And I believe deep inside my heart that fate, will lead us on... The others joined in a few seconds later, with a spotlight on Ash as he sang:

I've broken free from a cold wave of doubt...
Yet, I don't know why I'm crying...
And so I turn, looking away from everyone...
Silently, I vanish in the night air...
I'm searching endlessly for something that I lost!
My heart is aching painfully!
And as the falling rain consumes me, soothes me...
I will never stop singing this song for you!

If the morning sun should come again and shine once more,
Oh, how I'd want that sunny day eternally!
If we meet again, my joy, my love, my everything,
Would become like jewels, and everyone would know...of a miracle... The others played another quick interlude before Ash sang again:

My heart is open, let my dreams come forth...
Please, don't let anything surprise you...
I can't stop now, for I have come so far today,
And I must...remain pure, strong, and faithful...
The item that I lost will remain in my sight!
And may the world forever turn...

Close your eyes tonight and wish upon a shooting star!
See it fly into a million points of light!
Every promise, hope and prayer becomes a jeweled star!
And I believe deep inside my heart that fate, will lead us on... He paused to play a quick solo before singing again:

The item that I lost will remain in my sight!
And may the world forever turn...

If the morning sun should come again and shine once more,
Oh, how I'd want that sunny day eternally!
If we meet again, my joy, my love, my everything,
Would become like jewels, and everyone would know...of a miracle...

The crowd began to cheer as Ash started to solo again, even to the point where the Pokemon were dancing too!

To Be Continued...

EmeraldSky
July 22nd, 2005, 07:01 AM
Episode 9: Raise Your Voice!

"Morning, guys!" Ash called as he entered the kitchen the next morning. "What do we have to play today?"

"Well..." Brock reached for his rules sheet and studied it for a moment. "We're not going to be using our instruments today, that's for certain." Everyone looked at Brock, confused.

"If we aren't using our instruments, then what will we be doing?" Misty was curious.

"Simple..." Brock replied as he got up to take his plate of bacon and eggs from the microwave. "We'll all be singing a cappella today."

Ash was puzzled. "A cop-ola what?"

"A cappella means simply that you are performing without any instruments." Brock explained. "and I just so happen to have a few arrangements we can use..." he smiled as he showed a few pages of sheet music to the others.

Ash studied the sheet music for a moment, then smiled. "I like this..."

"There's parts for each of us...so we can start rehearsing after we decide who's going to sing what..." Ash continued, obviously excited. The others just started to clear the table, all the while discussing the parts they wanted to sing.

---------

"Okay guys..." Ash explained as the others gathered in a backstage dressing room. "We only have 30 minutes before we go on, so the sooner we can get this done, the better."

"Well, I'm ready to start if you are..." May replied. "so go ahead and give us our notes."

Ash fumbled for a pitch pipe and blew a single note to the others. The others hummed it back, signifying that they were in tune. "And, one, two, three..." Brock hummed a drone while May and Crystal started singing Sha-la, sha-la-la; sha-la, sha-la-la in the background.

Ash began singing over the rhythm:

Love and dreams, together, will unite and be as one...

So I'll turn, my tears right now, into stardust just for you, my calming moonglow...
I believe in you...

I am glad, that you are here, and of that, please be proud!
Don't let clouds, get in the way, of the sunshine in your life!
It shines down on you, and gives you a glow of happiness! Misty and Kamon joined in, their voices complimenting Ash wonderfully. Then all three began singing in three part harmony:

For my dream and yours, and for all we can be,
Lend me faith and will for me to rise into the world!
I want to become your love...

Misty opted to lead the next verse:

I'm always, looking at you, I'll always be at your side...
Don't be scared, of the journey, I'll be there for the ride! You've got the courage!
Come on, let's go!

The boys softly hummed a hamony as Misty continued:

Let yourself, become a light, inside this darkened world...
I'll show you, what it means, to live a life of faith and peace!
Go out there, show them, show them the way that leads to light!

For my love and yours, and for all we can be, Ash and Kamon joined in.
Believe in yourself, follow whatever your heart will say...
Even now, your fate can change...

For my dream and yours, and for all we can be, the three of them sang.
This I promise you, we'll be together until the end!
I want to become your love... They waited for Brock, May, and Crystal to finish the rhythm, then struck a pose to finish.

"That wasn't too bad..." May smiled.

"We finished just in time, too..." Ash sighed as he lead the others out to the stage. Once everyone was in position, Brock started to hum his drone again while May and Crystal started singing Sha-la, sha-la-la; sha-la, sha-la-la a few minutes later.

Ash began singing over the rhythm:

Love and dreams, together, will unite and be as one...

So I'll turn, my tears right now, into stardust just for you, my calming moonglow...
I believe in you...

I am glad, that you are here, and of that, please be proud!
Don't let clouds, get in the way, of the sunshine in your life!
It shines down on you, and gives you a glow of happiness! Misty and Kamon joined in, their voices complimenting Ash wonderfully. Then all three began singing in three part harmony:

For my dream and yours, and for all we can be,
Lend me faith and will for me to rise into the world!
I want to become your love...

Misty opted to lead the next verse:

I'm always, looking at you, I'll always be at your side...
Don't be scared, of the journey, I'll be there for the ride! You've got the courage!
Come on, let's go!

The boys softly hummed a hamony as Misty continued:

Let yourself, become a light, inside this darkened world...
I'll show you, what it means, to live a life of faith and peace!
Go out there, show them, show them the way that leads to light!

For my love and yours, and for all we can be, Ash and Kamon joined in.
Believe in yourself, follow whatever your heart will say...
Even now, your fate can change...

For my dream and yours, and for all we can be, the three of them sang.
This I promise you, we'll be together until the end!
I want to become your love... They waited for Brock, May, and Crystal to finish the rhythm, then struck a pose to finish, much to the delight of the audience!

To Be Continued...

EmeraldSky
July 25th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Episode 10: All That Jazz...

"Hey, guys..." Ash called as he entered the trailer living room the next day. "What do we have to play in today's competition?"

"I think Brock said something along the lines of something jazzy..." Kamon sighed as he relaxed in a chair. "and besides him and Crystal, the rest of us can't play that..."

"Lighten up, Kamon! I can teach you!" Crystal laughed as she shifted positions in her chair. She waited until everyone was paying attention, then continued. "The first and foremost rule of playing jazz: It's okay to make stuff up as you go along!"

"That's called improvising..." Brock added as he joined Crystal in the room. " A typical jazz song starts with one of the instruments playing the tune..." he continued as he passed out sheet music to everyone. "followed by the other instruments improvising a solo around that tune. Furthermore, it's okay to applaud a solo even though the music is still going."

"Sounds fun!" Ash smiled, until one of the instrumental lines caught his attention. "One problem: This arrangement calls for a saxophone...and if Crystal's busy with the trombone, who's going to play that part?"

May shrugged. "I think I can learn to play, if Crystal can teach me..." With that, the others started out the door to the backstage area...

---------

A few minutes later...

"Okay..." Ash sighed as he eased his electric guitar around him. "Everyone ready to rehearse?"

"Almost!" Crystal called as she finished walking May through the saxophone line. "...then play this little flourish here, then it's Misty's turn to solo, okay?"

"Got it." May stammered, although her voice didn't show that she understood very well. "I just hope I don't make a mistake..."

"You'll do fine!" Crystal assured May, then ran over to her place by Ash, where a trombone was waiting. She waited as Ash snapped a few times to count everyone off, then joined in with Brock and Kamon as they started a jazzy melody...

http://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0QBWOXK9LB9973E7FVJCZZ0LJP

Pikachu applauded Crystal as the spotlight shifted to Ash, who began his own version of Crystal's melody, his fingers dancing up and down the fingerboard as he played. Midway through, May decided to compliment Ash with a light harmony...the Pokemon applauded again as the spotlight shifted to her. At first, she was a little unsure of the tune, but before long, she was jamming away with the others...her mistakes being the starting point for her solo.

More applause filled the air as Misty began a bluesy variation on the tune, with everyone else playing a light harmony to back her up. When Misty concluded her solo, Crystal led everyone into the tune one last time to conclude the song.

"Yeah..." Ash whispered as the last note died. He took a bow as his makeshift audience applauded. "Thank you..."

"Ash, I have an idea..." Kamon started. He motioned for Ash to come closer, then continued. "Could you try maybe singing along so that you're imitating the trombone part at the very beginning?"

"How?" Ash was confused. "I don't think I can sing that low..."

"Kamon's referring to a type of jazz singing called 'scat'....not to be confused with what you say to shoo off a Meowth." Brock explained. "When someone's scatting, the singer's making up nonsense words that sound like an instrument...and the trombone line's not that low, so you should be able to scat it just fine!"

"If you say so..." Ash sighed as he led the others out to the stage...

---------

"And now, please welcome the Red Masters!" Scott announced to the crowd as Ash and the others took their places.

http://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0QBWOXK9LB9973E7FVJCZZ0LJP

Ash swallowed hard as he snapped to count everyone off, then started to scat along with Crystal: Oh-del-lay-oh-do-do-oh-ee-oh-do, oh-del-lay-oh-do-do-zo-ee-oh-do, oh-del-lay-oh-do-do-zo-ee-oh-do, oh-del-lay-oh-do-do-zo-ee-oh-do, oh-del-lay-oh-do-do-zo-ee-oh-do, oh-del-lay-oh-do-do, ah-da-ah-da....dan-dan, in-do-in-do... The audience began to cheer as Ash continued to scat, culminating in applause when the spotlight shifted to him.

Next, Ash began his own version of Crystal's melody, his fingers dancing up and down the fingerboard as he played. Midway through, May decided to compliment Ash with a light harmony...the audience applauded again as the spotlight shifted to her. This time, she started her solo on cue and clearly, jamming away with the others as if she had played the saxophone for a long time.

More applause filled the air as Misty began a bluesy variation on the tune, with everyone else playing a light harmony to back her up. When Misty concluded her solo, Crystal led everyone into the tune one last time to conclude the song.

"Yeah..." Ash whispered as the last note died. He took a bow as the audience applauded. "Thank you..."

To Be Continued...

EmeraldSky
July 27th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Episode 11: Unplugged

Ash tossed and turned as he slept that night. I can't believe it...with four more compititions to go before the semis....I just hope we can play well enough to make it there... he thought. Finally, he threw the covers off of him, tiptoed downstairs, settled in a chair with his acoustic guitar, and started to lightly strum a relaxing tune. Maybe just playing will calm me down...

"Ash?" a voice called from the stop of the stairs, startling Ash out of his song. He looked to see Misty standing at the top of the stairs, a concerned look on her face. "Why are you practicing at 3 AM?" she asked as she came downstairs and settled into the chair next to him.

"I'm just worried about the remaining competitions and the semis..." Ash assured Misty. "so I thought I'd just play something relaxing to calm down..."

"Don't worry...if we've played hard this far into the competition, we're still going to support you all the way...maybe all the way into the finals! I know we can!" Misty smiled. "So, go ahead and practice if you want...but keep it quiet." She yawned and fell back to sleep in her chair as Ash continued to practice.

---------

The next morning...

"Okay, guys..." Brock explained as the others gathered in the living room the next morning. "You all know we have four more second round competitions before the semi-finals, right?" Everyone nodded.

"So what to we have to do today?" Crystal asked.

"Today's competition involves just acoustic instruments--nothing electric." Hiro explained as he set his tray of breakfast goodies on the table. He was about to say more when Kamon interjected. "Where are we going to get a song like that?"

Misty nudged Ash. "Play that song you were playing last night!" Ash nodded, reached for his acoustic guitar, and started the same melody he had played the previous night.

"That sounds pretty..." Crystal commented. May nodded in agreement.

"I even wrote some words you can sing..." Misty continued as she offered some lyrics to Ash. Ash just put the lyrics in his pocket and continued playing...

---------

"That was nice of Misty to give you lyrics..." Kamon smiled as he and Ash waited their turn in the wings.

"I just hope the audience likes it..." Ash sighed as he led Kamon onstage, where two chairs were waiting. After checking his tuning and seeing that Kamon was settled, Ash began to play the slow melody again...only this time he sang:

Saying 'I love you...'
Is not the words I want to hear from you...
Its not that I want you,
Not to say, but if you only knew...
How easy it would be to show me how you feel!

More than words is all you have to do to make it real! Kamon joined in with Ash to harmonize.
Then you wouldnt have to say that you love me,
Cos Id already know!

What would you do if my heart was torn in two?
More than words to show you feel
That your love for me is real!
What would you say if I took those words away?
Then you couldnt make things new,
Just by saying I love you!

More than words...

Now Ive tried to talk to you and make you understand... Ash sang again.
All you have to do is close your eyes...
And just reach out your hands and touch me
Hold me close, dont ever let me go!

More than words is all I ever needed you to show! Kamon rejoined Ash for the second chorus.
Then you wouldnt have to say that you love me,
Cos Id already know!

What would you do if my heart was torn in two?
More than words to show you feel,
That your love for me is real!
What would you say if I took those words away?
Then you couldnt make things new,
Just by saying I love you!

More than words... both sang as Ash added a light flourish to finish the song, much to the delight of the audience!

To Be Continued...

EmeraldSky
July 30th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Episode 12: The Dancing King!

"Guys? Ash asked as he entered the trailer's living room the next day. "I hear the bands get a break today, so do you guys want to go to the Fun Zone today?"

"Is the sky blue?" Misty laughed as she hurried to get ready. "This'll be the perfect break from all that playing we've been doing!"

"What's the Fun Zone?" Kamon was curious. "Hiro told me about it the last time he went to Kanto..."

"The Fun Zone is basically a huge complex chock full of games, rides, and loads of other cool things to do..." Brock explained. "It sports a HUGE arcade, a kart track, several swimming pools, a mini golf course, a laser tag course..." he continued, counting off the various attractions on his fingers. "They're always adding new stuff to it, and it's VERY popular around here..."

"Sounds fun!" Crystal laughed. "I'm all for going if it's that fun!

"Then what are we waiting for?" Ash laughed as he led the others out to the bus stop...

---------

"Wow..." May gasped as the group entered the main hub of the Fun Zone. She glanced at the signpost depicting where all the main attractions were for a moment, then started off to the right, which led to the arcade. "We won't be able to do anything without any coins, will we?"

"Good point.." Ash followed May into the rainbow tinged arcade, where some patrons were already playing the various games. Hiro and Kamon were playing tag team on an RPG; Crystal was playing air hockey with Misty, and Brock was giving Kamon tips on how to play.

"You get ten coins for 100 credits..." Ash explained as he entered a 100 credit bill into the coin machine, which deposited ten gold coins into a tray at the bottom. "I have plenty of hundreds, should we need to get more..."

"Ooh! You need to try this game!" Brock literally dragged May over to one of the larger machines; which had a dance pad attached to it. "This is Dance Star Extreme, one of my favorites!"

"Yeah, Brock's a Dance Star Extreme king, if I ever saw one..." Ash agreed.

"Here's how the game works..." Brock explained as he stepped atop the pad and inserted a coin. "See these arrows on the pad?" he explained. "As the song plays, arrows will be scrolling by...and you have to touch the arrows with your feet when they line up with the outlines at the top of the screen, okay? Mess up too many times, and you lose..."

"Okay...sounds simple enough..." May gulped as she watched Brock confirm a few settings on the machine.

"I'll show you how it's done first, then I've got a challenge for you..." Brock assured May as he pressed the flashing green START button. The machine suddenly came to life with flashing lights and a cheering crowd...then a voice began to sing as the song Brock had chosen started to play:

Ai-yai-yai,
Ai-yai-yai,
Ai-yai-yai,
Where's my samurai?

The music picked up into a techno beat, and sparkling arrows began to roll by on the screen; prompting Brock to hop and step in time to the beat...

I've been searching for a man,
All across Japan,
Just to find, to find my samurai...
Someone who is strong, and just a little shy,
Yes I need, I need my samurai...

Ai-yai-yai, I'm your little butterfly!
Green, black, and blue; making colors in the sky!

"Wow! He's good!" May gasped as she watched the combo count steadily climb higher and higher as Brock continued to dance...

I'm searching in the woods,
And high upon the hills,
Someone who won't regret,
To keep me in his net,

Ai-yai-yai,
Ai-yai-yai,
Ai-yai-yai,
Where's my samurai?

Ai-yai-yai,
Ai-yai-yai,
Ai-yai-yai,
Where's my samurai?

Oh...Oh...Oh...
Oh..Oh...

Green, black, and blue; making colors in the sky! May couldn't resist singing along to the song.
Ai-yai-yai, I'm your little butterfly! Ash joined in with May.

Ai-yai-yai,
Ai-yai-yai,
Ai-yai-yai,
Where's my samurai?

Ai-yai-yai,
Ai-yai-yai,
Ai-yai-yai,
Where's my samurai?

Green, black, and blue; making colors in the sky! With that, Brock struck a pose to finish, prompting the applause of several onlookers.

"That was great!" May smiled when she saw Brock's ranking appear: DANCING MASTER!

"Thank you..." Brock acknowledged his applause, then stepped off the pad. "Now, here's my challenge for you....think you can dance well enough to make the high score list for that song?"

"Sure I can!" May stepped aboard the dancing pad, inserted a coin, and waited for her instructions.

"To keep it fair, dance to the same song I did..." Brock cautioned. May nodded as she chose the song from the list of songs.

"Good luck, May!" Ash called as he saw the machine erupt to life again, followed by the song beginning:

Ai-yai-yai,
Ai-yai-yai,
Ai-yai-yai,
Where's my samurai?

When the music picked up and the arrows started to roll again, May shakily stepped to the right, then left, then down three times, then stomped on left and right....before long, a combo count had appeared, and it was beginning to climb...

I've been searching for a man,
All across Japan,
Someone who is strong, and just a little shy,

"Left...right...up, up, stomp!" May assured herself as she watched the stream of arrows...

I'm searching in the woods,
And high upon the hills,
Someone who won't regret,
To keep me in his net,

Ai-yai-yai,
Ai-yai-yai,
Ai-yai-yai,
Where's my samurai?

Ai-yai-yai,
Ai-yai-yai,
Ai-yai-yai,
Where's my samurai?

Oh...Oh...Oh...
Oh..Oh... At this part, the arrows stopped for a moment, buying May time to catch her breath, but it wasn't long before the arrows began rolling by again...

Green, black, and blue; making colors in the sky

Ai-yai-yai,
Ai-yai-yai,
Ai-yai-yai,
Where's my samurai?

Ai-yai-yai,
Ai-yai-yai,
Ai-yai-yai,
Where's my samurai?

Green, black, and blue; making colors in the sky! May danced as hard as she could during the final part of the song, then leaned against the machine to see her score.

"You were on a roll for a minute there!" Ash smiled as May wiped the sweat from her brow. Finally, May's ranking appeared: RISING STAR!

"Not bad for a first time Dancing Star!" Brock laughed. "Practice a bit more and you could be a Dancing Master!"

"Well, come dance with me, Dance Master!" May laughed as she invited Brock aboard the pad again, then inserted a coin...

To Be Continued...

EmeraldSky
August 1st, 2005, 08:19 AM
Episode 13: Jammin' in the Park

"That was so much fun, going to the Fun Zone!" Crystal laughed as the group returned to the park that afternoon. "I mean, I didn't know we had such good dancers here..."

"I didn't do too bad for a first time Dancing Star, did I?" May asked as the group walked past the stage, en route to their trailer. She was about to say more when she noticed Scott waiting for them by the entrance to the trailer park. "Huh?"

"Scott...what are you doing here?" Ash asked, puzzled as to what Scott would want.

"Hey, Red Masters..." Scott smiled as the group approached. "First and foremost, I just want to say that you guys are doing a great job in the competition..."

"Thanks!" Ash stammered, while at the same time relieved that Scott wasn't bringing bad news.

"Second of all..." Scott continued, pausing for a moment to wipe a dirty spot from his sunglasses. "The park staff asked me to tell all the bands that the annual Jammin' in the Park concert is tonight...and with this year's Jam coinciding with the competition, I offered to let all the competing bands participate."

"Of course! We'd love to!" Misty smiled. The others nodded in agreement.

"Okay then..." Scott paused to grab a Jammin' in the Park information sheet. "What this means for you guys, is that you'll have to play something instrumental for the Jam...no vocals, scat, or anything involving voices, okay? So if your singers need a break, this is your chance to show off how skilled you are in the instrumental department...

"Sounds fun!" Kamon smiled.

"All bands need to be ready to play at six o'clock; that's also when we'll determine playing order. This means you guys have three hours to throw together a set of three or four instrumentals." Scott concluded as he turned to leave. "So until then, see ya!" With that, he disappeared into the crowd....

---------

"Three hours to write three songs, plus factor in rehearsal time...and we don't have that much time." Ash noted as he studied some sheet music. "But, thanks to Brock, we already have three songs ready to play..." he smiled.

"I wanted to write some stuff showcasing the guitar, the saxophone, and the keyboards..." Brock explained as he practiced a rhythm. "plus Max had to beg for a drum solo... but I kept it low key, and not very loud."

"This is perfect!" Crystal laughed as she studied her part. "We'll be a hit tonight!" She readied the saxophone as Ash snapped a few times to count everyone off, then led everyone into the first song....

---------

That night...

"Wow..." Ash was amazed at the crowd that had gathered for the Jam. "Look at the crowd!"

"Isn't it great that we have a good turnout tonight?" Kamon smiled as he listened to the first band perform. "We're on after this band, so we need to be ready..."

Ash noticed Crystal fingering the sax nervously. "Nervous?"

"A little...but I'm not worried." Crystal assured Ash as she heard the crowd cheer for the previous band. "We'll do fine, I'm sure." With that, she led everyone out onto the stage.

http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1A177MI2JMMDF10KD4XW9FDED3

Ash sighed, counted everyone off, and led everyone into a jazzy beat. The crowd began to cheer as the guitar, the saxophone, and the keyboards traded solos with each other....

To Be Continued...

EmeraldSky
August 3rd, 2005, 01:21 PM
Episode 14: The Moody Pokeblues

"Hi, gang!" Hiro smiled as he brought the group breakfast the next day. "How is everyone today?"

"Doing great, thank you!" Misty smiled as she took a doughnut from the platter of food. "Got any info on what we need to play today?" The others all looked at Hiro, anxiously awaiting an answer.

"Well..." Hiro paused to set the platter on the table, then continued. "Judging from all the harmonicas I kept hearing as I walked around listening to the other bands, I believe you'll be singing the blues today..."

"One harmonica player reporting for duty!" Crystal laughed as she put her plate in the sink. "Just name the riff and I'll play it!"

"Hold everything!" Brock announced as he too put his plate in the sink. "I had a blues song already written, but I forgot to write a harmonica part..."

"I'll fix that!" Misty grabbed the sheet music away from Brock and started frantically scribbling on the paper. After a few minutes, she handed the sheet music to Crystal. "There we go, one harmonica line, ready to play!"

"Thanks, Misty!" Crystal laughed as she studied the part. "I'll get to work practicing this right away!"...

---------

A few minutes later...everyone gathered in the rec room with their instruments, rehearsing their parts. Kamon, however; kept mulling over one particular spot in the bass line, playing the same riff again and again.

"What's wrong, Kamon?" Ash was confused over Kamon's fascination with the riff. "Is something bothering you about your part?"

"Not exactly bothering me per se, it's something interesting about this riff..." Kamon explained as he played the riff a fourth time. "Listen to how this riff sounds when I play it fast..." With that, he played the riff at double speed.

Ash's eye's widened when he heard the riff. "That sounds great!" He quickly joined in with Kamon, adding his own riff on top of Kamon's.

"I think your song needs a rewrite, Brock..." Misty smiled as she added her own part to the steadily growing session.

"Come to think of it, I might as well scrap the original song and start over..." Brock laughed as he wadded up the orginal sheet music and tossed it in the trash. "You guys just gave me a new idea..."

---------

Several hours later....

"Okay! Let's try this new song..." Ash smiled as everyone got into position in the rehearsal room. He waited until everyone was ready, then motioned to Kamon to begin...

http://s43.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3MRK8Q4MVQOOP2OGVIH6W0DZ99

Kamon began by playing the fast riff on his own several times. Ash quickly joined in with his own riff, complimenting Kamon with his own melody. Crystal added a few harmonica notes in the background as Brock started a driving beat, with Misty playing a light bluesy harmony in the background.

Everyone played the tune together for a while, then the spotlight shifted to Crystal, who started a rousing solo while the others kept playing in the background. When she had finished, Ash took the spotlight for a solo as well, elaborating on Crystal's melody and throwing in his own riffs as well. He led everyone into the tune again, then joined in with Kamon for a quick duet based on the riff Kamon was playing, while Brock kept the pounding beat going. they started softly at first, then repeated the riff again and again, getting louder and louder each time. After everyone played the tune for the last time, Kamon and Ash played the riff together to end the song.

"WOW!!!" Hiro, Max, and the tech crew applauded, obviously impressed. Ash smiled and took a bow, flattered with the applause.

"Blame Kamon...he's the one that came up with the song!" Crystal giggled. Everyone laughed as Kamon weakly took a bow...

---------

"And now, give it up for the Red Masters!" Scott announced as Ash and the others appeared on the stage, ready to play.

Ash nervously sighed, then motioned to Kamon to begin...

http://s43.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3MRK8Q4MVQOOP2OGVIH6W0DZ99

Kamon began by playing the fast riff on his own several times. Ash quickly joined in with his own riff, complimenting Kamon with his own melody. Crystal added a few harmonica notes in the background as Brock started a driving beat, with Misty playing a light bluesy harmony in the background.

Everyone played the tune together for a while, then the spotlight shifted to Crystal, who started a rousing solo while the others kept playing in the background. When she had finished, Ash took the spotlight for a solo as well, elaborating on Crystal's melody and throwing in his own riffs as well. He led everyone into the tune again, then joined in with Kamon for a quick duet based on the riff Kamon was playing, while Brock kept the pounding beat going. they started softly at first, then repeated the riff again and again, getting louder and louder each time. After everyone played the tune for the last time, Kamon and Ash played the riff together to end the song. The audience roared with applause!

"Thank you so much!" Ash called back to the audience.

To Be Continued...

EmeraldSky
August 8th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Episode 15: South of the Border

"Guys!" Max called as he raced into the trailer the next morning, surprising the others. "I have news!"

"We're listening..." Ash assured the overly jumpy Max as he settled in to have breakfast. Pikachu stood nearby, hoping to savor a bit of the bacon and eggs simmering on Ash's plate.

"Well..." Max began as he calmed down a bit from his excitement. "Today's competition involves a song with a Latin beat..." He was about to say more when he heard a soft guitar melody and ocean waves drift into the room. "Huh?"

Misty sighed. "Brock had better not be about to do what I think he's going to do..." She sighed as the music picked up into a samba beat, revealing Brock in a wildly colored Mexican costume, complete with a sombrero and Poke Ball maracas.

"Oh brother..." Ash groaned as Brock started singing:

La-la-la, la la la, it is so wonderful!
La-la-la, la la la, letters of love and joy!
La-la-la, and it is, la-la-la,
And it is...
MY LOVELY ONE!!!

Crystal couldn't resist laughing as Brock continued:

"Oh yes, I understand..."
I fall in love so easily...
"My heart has been broken..."
Too many times to see...
Yet there is, too little space
For me...to get back up again!

"And even if they think of me..."
As someone much too carefree...
"And even if they make fun of me..."
Laughing at my foolish deeds...
Follow the dream, just for me...
My dream is alive!

Come on now, la-la-la, it is so wonderful!
La-la-la, la la la, hear a word's beautiful sound!
La-la-la, and it is, la-la-la,
And it is...
My lovely one...

Everyone burst out laughing as Brock cavorted about the room, shaking his maracas in time to the beat. When the break concluded...he sang again:

"Oh yes, many times I've learned..."
The game of love is filled with pain...
"My heart has been broken..."
It's often aching...
And so, all I can do
Is laugh, to lift my spirit! He laughed to prove his point.

"And even if they think of me..."
As someone prone to make mistakes...
"Even if they're laughing at me..."
Laughing, calling me a clown...
My dream is alive!

Come on now, la-la-la, it is so wonderful!
La-la-la, la la la, hear a word's beautiful sound!
La-la-la, it is so wonderful!
La-la-la, my life of paradise...

"What would be paradise for me is if you'd BE QUIET!" Misty snapped, stopping Brock mid song. She watched as Brock changed out of the costume, dejected.

"Besides...I think I have a song we can play..." Kamon smiled, displaying some sheet music...

---------

"Everybody ready?" Ash asked everyone as they gathered for rehearsal. "And a-one, two, three..." He waited as Brock started a Latin beat. Misty joined in at the piano with a bouncy melody to compliment the beat. Crystal and Kamon joined in with them, doubling the melody on saxophone and bass, respectively.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=39XPCJU4

After everyone had played the tune through once, Crystal broke off to solo while Brock, Misty, Kamon, and May kept the beat going. Ash couldn't resist smiling as a Treecko grabbed on to Pikachu, starting a Pokemon conga line. A Torchic grabbed onto the Treecko; a Mudkip grabbed onto the Torchic, and so on, until Ash noticed the conga line snaking around the room. It continued to grow as Ash broke off to solo.

"Pika pika pi chu! Pika pika pi chu!" Pikachu chanted to the beat of the bouncy song....

---------

"Wow! What a great tune!" Scott cried as the crowd applauded the previous band. "And now, Let's keep this samba going with the Red Masters!" The crowd roared as Ash and the others took their positions.

When the crowd quieted, Brock started a Latin beat. Misty joined in at the piano with a bouncy melody to compliment the beat. Crystal and Kamon joined in with them, doubling the melody on saxophone and bass, respectively.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=39XPCJU4

After everyone had played the tune through once, Crystal broke off to solo while Brock, Misty, Kamon, and May kept the beat going. He grinned as a conga line began to snake through the park...

To Be Continued...

EmeraldSky
August 15th, 2005, 06:48 AM
Episode 16: Words of Love

Ash sighed as he struggled with some chords on his acoustic guitar. Hiro had explained that the day's competition involvd love songs...but no matter how hard Ash had tried, his attempts at writing a song didn't sound too much like a love song.

After fiddling with chords for the umpteenth time, Ash just tore the page from his notebook, crumpled it into a wad, and tossed it in the trash. "This isn't going to work..." he sighed as he reached for a clean page of musical staff paper and started writing down music again.

"How goes the songwriting, Ash?" Crystal asked, piqued by the constant stream of paper wads going into the trash.

"Slow..." Ash sighed. "I either come up with a great tune, but can't put words to it, or come up with good lyrics, but can't think of a tune."

"Why don't we try writing the lyrics first, then finding a tune?" Crystal suggested as she settled on the couch next to Ash and flicked on the TV.

"I already have a tune..listen to this..." and Ash started a quiet melody...

I wake up and hear somebody call my name...that special voice, I remember... Crystal sang along with Ash. The ocean lulls me on to sleep, my thoughts are filled with dreams of you, my heart dreams of you tonight...

Ash's eyes widened at Crystal's singing. "That's great! I should remember this!" With that, he furiously scribbled on the paper, mumbling ideas as he wrote. "Far away...I hear the sound of...crying... and where they are... I cannot tell...."

---------
"Is our song ready yet?" Misty asked as she walked in the room to check on Ash.

"Almost...let me finish this solo..." Ash assured Misty as he finished writing. "There...all done!" he smiled as he presented the finished keyboard part to Misty.

Misty's eyes widened as she read the lyrics. "Wow...I didn't know you could write lyrics this well, Ash!" she exclaimed.

"Actually, Crystal helped with the lyrics." Ash explained as he got up from the chair and stretched. "She just sang a few lines, and I came up with the rest." With that, he grabbed his guitar and followed Misty to the practice room.

---------

"And now, please welcome the Red Masters!" Scott announced as the lights came up on Ash and the others. Misty started a soft piano intro, then Ash joined in:

I wake up and hear somebody call my name...that special voice, I remember
The ocean lulls me on to sleep, my thoughts are filled with dreams of you,
My heart dreams of you tonight...

Far away, I hear the sound of crying, and where they are, I cannot tell.
When hearts are sad, they do not know, the happiness that love can bring
Without that peace and joy inside, the sadness consumes them...

Brock started a soft beat as Ash began the chorus:

I look down on the pieces of, of a dream, a wish; beautiful wish,
These feelings inside of me, they are shining like the stars!
The sea, it rolls on into an orange sun sinking in the west
These tears of mine, they are washed away into the night...

Crystal added a flute riff to compliment the keyboards and guitar as Ash began the second verse:

On that joyous day we were created...I awakened here, and I was called,
From the sky down to the deepest sea, I hear your sad voice call to me,
No matter how the darkness falls, or how gripping the pain...

These feelings inside of me, they will drive the dark away!
And the sea keeps on rolling on, as the sky turns purple with the dawn
My wish for you, do you see it shining, shining through?

One day the time will come, all the war and pain will cease!
They will all just fade away...that day, I hope, comes soon!
So then, I'll sing, sing so that all the world can hear; all around, unto every land and sea...

And so gently, I call your name...
Do you hear me? Will you heed my call?
Little one, I want you to know, of the wish I have for you!

These feelings inside of me, they are shining like the stars!
The sea, it rolls on into an orange sun sinking in the west
These tears of mine, they are washed away into the night...

Na na na na, na na na na... the girls softly sang in the background as Ash broke off to solo...

To Be Continued....