PDA

View Full Version : Incorrect Pokemon Types

Dizzy
September 6th, 2003, 11:36 AM
Have you ever seen a certain pokemon that looked like an ice type but really wasnt

This first happened when i saw Phanpy ........

I thought that it was a water type because elephants have the power to shoot water out of there trunks ... and it would make more sense

and Gyarados ( Water/Dragon) it would make more sense because its in the dragon group

Any1 agree Reply

Frostweaver
September 6th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Have you ever seen a certain pokemon that looked like an ice type but really wasnt

I thought that it was a water type because elephants have the power to shoot water out of there trunks ... and it would make more sense

and Gyarados ( Water/Dragon) it would make more sense because its in the dragon group

Any1 agree Reply

water dragon Gyarados = Gyarados upgraded itself to "Curselax" rank...

Even though Gyarados is made in the image of the chinese dragons (dragon that's more like a snake, and it can fly without wings), it shouldn't be a dragon due to balance reasons.

Cherrim
September 6th, 2003, 12:47 PM
I mistook Wobbufett (I know I spelled that wrong) as a normal type. o_O; @_@ It looks so boring, so.. yeah.

I don't understand why the Gastly chain is part poison. o_o;

Frostweaver
September 6th, 2003, 01:50 PM
perhaps it's the thing that Gastly is "gas" and it's suppose to suffoicate people. Therefore it's acting kinda like poison gas i suppose... who knows.

(btw Lightning i tried to restart my comp, log off and log back on and i can post again)

tyranitar0000
September 6th, 2003, 03:34 PM
I will be posting all my ideas.

Charizard-Fire/Dragon
Squirtle and evo.-Water/Steel
Kangaskhan-Fighting (Kangaskhan is baesd on Genghis Khan)
Hoothoot/Noctowl-Flying/Psychic
Dunsparce-Ground
Seviper-Dark/Poison (heh heh heh)

Kairi
September 6th, 2003, 08:21 PM
Well, now that it has Levitate, it makes it cheap because it can't be Toxic'd, and has a lot of resistances and immune to Ground.

Frostweaver
September 6th, 2003, 11:27 PM
good thing Absol is created... i found Absol to be one of the best Pokemon to destroy ghost types with torment and shadowball. Torment just kills Dusclops bad...

Dizzy
September 7th, 2003, 08:22 AM
Ninetales - Fire/Ghost
Ursaring - Pyschic
Phanphy - Water/Ground

tyranitar0000
September 7th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Ninetales - Fire/Ghost
Ursaring - Pyschic
Phanphy - Water/Ground

I think your ideas for Ninetales and Ursaring are off a little. :confused:

Dizzy
September 7th, 2003, 09:09 AM
nope there not ..........

sorry if im flamming you or bashing you but your idea of squirtle being water/steel are off too ............

ok anyways back on the subject

Amphie
September 7th, 2003, 09:50 AM
Vulpix/Ninetales- fire/psychic
Gyarados- water/dragon (why flying??? I really don`t understand this)
Ampharos- electric/dragon
Togetic- normal/psychic

Frostweaver
September 7th, 2003, 11:34 AM
Now that's like the 3rd time someone questioned Gyarados to be a dragon. It should really be water/dragon, but then the result of that is Gyarados becoming everyone's favorite earthquaker... it's part flying for pure balance reasons in the gameboy games. Plus flying makes sense too, since it doesn't need to crawl on land and it doesn't exactly "levitate" too. So flying is as close as you can get.

Dizzy
September 7th, 2003, 11:48 AM
There should be a new Solarbeam

It would make sense if the pokemon gathered engery from the sun ......... but the sun shot the beam

There should also be like a Moonbeam or LunarBeam

But it wqould be dark element ^^

i dont care if you dont agree with me

Pezz
September 7th, 2003, 02:17 PM
I agree that Phanpy should be water/ground.

I'm not sure about Ursaring being Psychic, but Ninetales should definately be fire/ghost. If you know what Ninetales is based on, it would make sense, but I don't really feel like explaining it now. It's like that little guy in the Zelda games that you can summon wearing the mask.

Frostweaver
September 7th, 2003, 02:27 PM
it's the ninetail fox... if Shiftry who is based on Tengo gets to be dark type, then Ninetales should be part ghost... anyone saw the Jhoto episode of Ninetales? Plus learning confuse ray and will o wisp (2 rather ghost like move) it should really be part ghost...

Spike Razzor
September 8th, 2003, 05:24 AM

Umm... No, elepahants can't shoot water. You abviously watch too many cartoons because the spray it. And they also can't even drink water throught there trunk so theres no way its gonna get blasted out of it, and even if it somehow could, it could't breethe then and it would kill itself trying...

Game set and match.

Dizzy
September 8th, 2003, 05:23 PM
does it matter , if they have the ability to spray water then they should be water/groun ^^

Frostweaver
September 8th, 2003, 05:46 PM
imagine the trunk to be like a big tube. They just fill part of it with water, then let it FLOW OUT again later... i believe a Chansey can do that too if it uses its pocket to fill it up with water, then to let it flow out again... but that doesn't mean Chansey should be part water.

However as a cartoon itself, Phanpy can just "evolve" into a funny looking elephant that can do that ^^;

Spike Razzor
September 8th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Its abvious you all don't get it, what your telling me is that Phampy will have a short burst of water and then it can't do it again cause it needs to put more water in it trunk... And Frost is telling me that Chansey will take out it egg leaving it exposed to the cold, just so it could fill up its 3 & 1/2 inch deep pocket with not even enough water to do anything and it will magicly blast it at some fire pokemon...

Frostweaver
September 8th, 2003, 06:17 PM
i think you're the one with a little misunderstanding.

You got almost exactly what i was trying to say. I wrote that Chansey example to see how weird of an idea this is... Chansey can use Water Gun in Dizzy's way by using the methods i wrote up there. But how can you blast water from a little pocket? all i can do is clumsily walk over to the side of a Torkoal, and jump up so water will flow out of the pocket and land on to Torkoal... that's as close of a water attack Chansey can ever get... and just cause it got this weird way of "Water Gun," that means it should be part water? no...

so Phanpy in the same sense shouldn't be part water...

Spike Razzor
September 8th, 2003, 06:32 PM
i think you're the one with a little misunderstanding.

You got almost exactly what i was trying to say. I wrote that Chansey example to see how weird of an idea this is... Chansey can use Water Gun in Dizzy's way by using the methods i wrote up there. But how can you blast water from a little pocket? all i can do is clumsily walk over to the side of a Torkoal, and jump up so water will flow out of the pocket and land on to Torkoal... that's as close of a water attack Chansey can ever get... and just cause it got this weird way of "Water Gun," that means it should be part water? no...

so Phanpy in the same sense shouldn't be part water...
Making it Water would only be a waste of time, it would be gain no speacial advance over Rock, Ground, and Fire cause it can learn moves that could KO them easy. And even if it could learn Water attacks its trunk its way too small and flat, plus it would only make it weak against itself.

StellarWind
September 9th, 2003, 10:27 PM
Well, in my opinion, the Ralts-Kirlia-Gardevoir line should have been Grass/Psychic and female only. The thing on their heads looks like a leaf, kind of, and if they could learn some grass moves, they'd be a lot better altogether (Ralts is annoying to level up, yes inded.)

As for why female only? Just look at Kirlia and Gardevoir. It's an Annoying White Pixie, evolving into A Ballgown Girl. I bet that male Gardevoirs get picked on a lot. ;P

Frostweaver
September 9th, 2003, 10:30 PM
at the same time the classical "Machamp is male only" argument will be brought up... it looks like a male only! look at all those muscles! well like stated before in old PC, it is completely possible... like how female spiders are completely almight and powerful compare to the wimpy males who'll get eaten right after you know what activities

So if Machamps who look like male but can be female, why can't Gardevoir be male? We see cross dressers in real life too ^_^;;

EDIT: a rather big typo in last sentence... forgot 3 important words >_<

StellarWind
September 9th, 2003, 10:34 PM
Just because Machamp is a human-shaped steroid-breathed bastard doesn't meant that he has to be male only. I've seen female bodybuilders before. OW. Scary. But they still exist. Now, Considering their human shape, most people assume that female 'champs, 'chokes and co. have, uh, chest developments, if you know what I mean. However, Machamp, Machoke and Machop are NOT mammals, and so there's no reasons there'll be much difference in the form of males and females (except for maybe larger hips on the females, and that's a level of detail the games won't get to.) Sexual Dimorphism in Pokemon only exists in a few cases (Latios/Latias, Volbeat/Illumise, Tauros/Miltank and the Nidorans). I don't see why people consider Machamp as male only looking.

Gardevoir though, is a whole different story. Although whatever gender it is, that red thing stuck in their chests has GOTTA hurt. o_O

Iveechan
September 10th, 2003, 11:09 PM
Yay, my "there's nothing wrong with the Machop line being female" argument is working, mwa ha ha! In birds of prey, hyenas, and some other animals, females are the larger and stronger sex, so there's nothing wrong with female Pokemon being big and strong too.

Gardevoir doesn't really have breasts, it just looks like it has a gown and maybe a slight female shape. But I don't see what's so bad about it being male. How do you imagine a male Gardevoir to look like anyway?

Back on topic...

Mawile should've either been part Dark or pure Dark... it doesn't learn Steel moves that are offensive (I think), and its Sapphire equivalent is part Dark. Either way, its stats still stink :P

Seviper would have been SO cool if it was part Dark!

Altaria... this is a long shot... part Ice. If it learned maybe Icy Wind on its own, I could see this happening. But don't get on my case about this, I did say it was a long shot. I'm so sick of Dragon/Flying types...

Speaking of Icy Wind, Sneasel SHOULD NOT be an Ice type. It should be pure Dark or part Fighting.

Pezz
September 11th, 2003, 11:16 AM
I never understood why Sneasel would be part ice...It doesn't look like it should be, and does it even learn any ice attacks?

I think Khangaskhan should be part fighting, it looks like a fighter to me, plus the classic Boxing Kangaroo thingie springs to mind. *gets an idea for a Kanaghaskan evo*

Dizzy
September 11th, 2003, 12:32 PM
Yay, my "there's nothing wrong with the Machop line being female" argument is working, mwa ha ha! In birds of prey, hyenas, and some other animals, females are the larger and stronger sex, so there's nothing wrong with female Pokemon being big and strong too.

Gardevoir doesn't really have breasts, it just looks like it has a gown and maybe a slight female shape. But I don't see what's so bad about it being male. How do you imagine a male Gardevoir to look like anyway?

Back on topic...

Mawile should've either been part Dark or pure Dark... it doesn't learn Steel moves that are offensive (I think), and its Sapphire equivalent is part Dark. Either way, its stats still stink :P

Seviper would have been SO cool if it was part Dark!

Altaria... this is a long shot... part Ice. If it learned maybe Icy Wind on its own, I could see this happening. But don't get on my case about this, I did say it was a long shot. I'm so sick of Dragon/Flying types...

Speaking of Icy Wind, Sneasel SHOULD NOT be an Ice type. It should be pure Dark or part Fighting.

Seviper should have been part dark ................

Frostweaver
September 11th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Sneasel is better off pure dark... it's harder to be classified as "fighting" type if you use sharp claws in battle. The idea of "fighting" type is more like punches and kicks, not furiously scratching each other.

Seviper could have easily been dark type, as it learns crunch anyway. Plus in terms of literature the serpent is always considered as an "evil" being.

Spike Razzor
September 11th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Iveechan is there any Pokemon you think shouldn't be Fighting? XD!!!

And Pezz to me Khangaskhan dosn't look like a fighting type, its punch moves are all Normal. It has poor speed and most important it is in the the Monster group (in GSC) which are mainly heavy Dinosaur-like Pokemon that can't jump high, its prob called Khangaskhan because it has a pocket like a Kangaroo =3. The only Fighting move it can prob learn is Double Kick if it breeds with Nidoking. Maybe even more kicking moves if you breed it well. *thinks of Khangaskhan using high jump kick* ROTFLMAO!

Dizzy
September 11th, 2003, 12:50 PM
Iveechan is there any Pokemon you think shouldn't be Fighting? XD!!!

And Pezz to me Khangaskhan dosn't look like a fighting type, its punch moves are all normal. It has poor speed and most importann it can't jump high, its prob called Khangaskhan because it hass a pocket like a Kangaroo =3. The only Fighting move it can prob learn is Double Kick if it breeds with Nidoking. Maybe even more kicking moves if you breed it good. *thinks of Khangaskhan using high jump kick* ROTFLMAO!

I agree with Pezz , Kangaskhan is a kangaroo , they fight , and genghis khan was a warrior aka fighter so theres the sense ^^

Spike Razzor
September 11th, 2003, 12:56 PM
I agree with Pezz , Kangaskhan is a kangaroo , they fight , and genghis khan was a warrior aka fighter so theres the sense ^^
Come on... Look at it, its big and slow... And the Nido evo's learn Double Kick and they turn into Poison/Ground not Posion/Fighting.

Frostweaver
September 11th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Kangaskan gives me the feeling of some type of dinosaur more than kangaroo... seriously... it's big, slow and sturdy. Kangaroo hops everywhere in speed of light...

Iveechan
September 11th, 2003, 05:07 PM
Kangaskhan is not that slow... mine's Speed was in the 250's, which is not high but sorta average. That's kinda like Girafarig's Speed. Kanga is pretty fast for the way it looks.

And Spike, did you not read my post carefully? I only suggested Sneasel be fighting. Whatever. It would still be neat if Electabuzz was part Fighting. It may not learn Fighting moves on its own, but they could tweak it, plus it can learn the brick break tm.

I would have loved it if Tyranitar was a Ground type instead of Rock. It would give it an Electric resistance. Let's see the weakness/resistance chart:

Rock/Dark
resistance: normal, fire, flying, ghost, dark, *psychic*
weakness: water, grass, ground, steel, FIGHTING, bug

Ground/Dark
resistance: poison, rock, ghost, dark, *electric*, *psychic*
weakness: water, grass, ice, bug, fighting

They have the same number of resistances, but being part Ground would give 'tar 2 immunities to relatively common types. Ground also has one less weakness and no double weaknesses. The only bad part is that it would have a common Ice weakness. STAB'ed Earthquake, w00t!

StellarWind
September 12th, 2003, 02:48 AM
Kangaskhan is a Marsupial, and it has several Kangaroo elements, but I doubt it's really a *kangaroo*.

I do agree with Ivee on the idea of Tyranitar. It indeed *should* have been part ground. Even its shell doesn't look too rocky.

Nyura... Pure dark. or Dark/Fighting. I don't know why it's half ice myself. (shrugs) -_-

Spike Razzor
September 12th, 2003, 04:57 AM
And Spike, did you not read my post carefully? I only suggested Sneasel be fighting. Whatever. It would still be neat if Electabuzz was part Fighting. It may not learn Fighting moves on its own, but they could tweak it, plus it can learn the brick break tm.

Yes I did, but im saying is that im getting the impresssiong that you think almost every Pokemon thats human-shaped or can stand on two legs should be part fighting, and concidering how many evil Psychic moves are out there waiting to land cheap hits is overwhelming. Take the move 'Psychic' it does way more than it says to almost all Pokemon (but dark).

Kairi
September 12th, 2003, 05:46 AM
Kangaskhan has 299 speed with a neutral personality and full EVs.

It did a lot better when it had Curse, it had only one weakness and it was physical, had Roar to beat psuedohazers out. Now it has Early Bird for a one-turn Rest...

Tyranitar needs a lot of weaknesses, especially now that it has Dragon Dance. Everything but Latios that has Dragon Dance has a 4x weakness.

My Zapdos and a Tyranitar often faced off in a Thunderbolt/Rock Slide War if it came down to it. Although Miltank was the ultimate anti-Tyranitar, it probably isn't now due to Dragon Dance.

Iveechan
September 12th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Sneasel and Electabuzz doesn't really cover "all" standing up Pokemon. That's two. WHOOP DEE DOO! And Fighting is an excellent type, it can take down five types. Your argument is Psychic. If Sneasel was Dark/Fighting, then its only weaknesses would be Flying and Fighting and it would be immune to Psychic. A big improvement over being weak to fire, steel, rock, bug, and a double fighting weakness if I do say so myself.

Don't we have a million water and normal types already? Chhanging the types of a few Pokemon would be great.

Huntail to part Dark, Gorebyss to part Psychic.

Dizzy
September 12th, 2003, 12:33 PM
right , because they learn those type of moves like confusion and bite

Frostweaver
September 12th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Huntail shouldn't be part dark... it got a big mouth but then it uses pure physical attacks... (abuse that monstrosity stats man)... Better to have a physical STAB for the other type. Gorebyss indeed should be part psychic...

The denotation for Kangaskan maybe pretty speedy, but still the connotation for it is pretty slow and sturdy... it just doesn't *look* like the stats make sense for it...

Tyranitar lost rock type for ground? If that is true then the very next day you see Tyranitar bashing everything in sight on RSbot... Dragon Dance + STAB earthquake + excellent stats... oh dear. It's too terrifying to just imagine such a monster.

Iveechan
September 12th, 2003, 05:31 PM
Pffft, if the game can make monsters like Slaking, Blissey, Kyogre, and Kingdra, I'm sure making T-tar ground would be no problem.

Oh yes, I meant to mention earlier, Heracross is a fighter yet it doesn't kick or punch.

Frostweaver
September 13th, 2003, 05:56 PM
it can reversal and brick break... and the reversal heracross is always a classic deadly killer, now with boosted speed of salac berry too (evil...)

Kingdra isn't that "unbeatable" really... as it got some big time limited moveset without sleep talk... against a kingdra nothing a mirror coat can't handle... the only physical attack it can learn is HP ???, secret power or return... Slaking gets killed by anyone with protect (a good time to send out ninjask to buff up). Kyogre is currently just paranoid about Shedinjas that it even sacrificed ice beam for ancientpower in standard sets. Well blissey... i can't really defend against that one x_x

Iveechan
September 13th, 2003, 10:07 PM
...and a ground/dark tyranitar gets pwned by water, ice, and fighting, just to name a few. I'm not saying the above Pokemon were "unbeatable" (don't put words in my mouth please), I meant that they are very difficult to beat, especially for a new trainer or one like me who doesn't understand all of these move combos. Kingdra with a limited movepool? Heck, water and dragon can hit anything, and dragon breath may paralyze.

what is reversal anyway? a punch, kick, or slam? I know heracross gets fighting moves, it's just not a "traditional" fighter who punches and kicks.

Spike Razzor
September 13th, 2003, 10:23 PM
what is reversal anyway? a punch, kick, or slam? I know heracross gets fighting moves, it's just not a "traditional" fighter who punches and kicks.
Its called a "Fluke" a mistake, like Gyarados and Venasaur ect.
Venasaur only learns Posion Power (dunno about R/S version). And Gyarados knows no Flying moves at all, like even if it was only water it could still own Ground and Ghost which are the only things Flying is good against.

Iveechan
September 13th, 2003, 11:05 PM
flying is good against grass, bug, and fighting. Venusaur can get sludge bomb in rs (took them long enough to give it a stab poison move).

Frostweaver
September 14th, 2003, 11:57 AM
must we bring out Gyarados again... seems like i must drag out my old "essay paper" on Gyarados being part flying... it's due to the fact that Gyarados just got this insane attack power, and speed isn't bad too with 260s. Did i mention a modest Gyarados can pretty much sweep with 386 attack power + dragon dance, and use Earthquake on you? And just thank Gamefreak so much for not capable of learning Aerial ace... right now Gyarados is pretty close to unbeatable after 3 dragon dance unless it got paralyzed (which is usually done by electric types anyway). Flying type is needed for balancing reasons and to help Gyarados out. Earthquake is just so common for high atk stats Pokemon that it's not even funny. You need flying/levitate to live in 2vs2 as well. Since grass types are strong to earthquake, it's always nice to have some resistance against leaf blades for gyarados. With a strong 298 sp.def, it's only suitable to have a x4 electric weakness so gyarados can't have an easy life using dragon dance to sweep. Like what Kairi likes to say, the only dragon dancer without a x4 weakness is Kingdra (who has no use of it most of the time) and Latios. All the others are just pure power attacks like Tyranitar and Salamence, so a x4 weakness is needed for each and every one of them so you can put yourself out of your misery earlier and easier...

flying is never good against ghost... it's just neutral like water and electric and many other elements... (But we do know that every common ghost can screw Gyarados all over)

Kingdra... well nice stats and nice elemental combo! Wow i'm going to abuse this! What moves can you learn buddy/ *reads movelist* well um...

(Kingdra's move combo... just throw few of them together and you got a good kingdra)
-rest
-water pulse/surf
-rain dance
-dragon breath
-dragon dance
-ice beam
-return and other normal element attacks

what else... nothing much. Using normal attacks for Kingdra is rather rare, so usually Milotic comes in to mirror coat, Kingdra uses rest and Milotic uses recover... It'll just be a contest to see who runs out of PP first. Water moves are so common so the opponent will pretty much benefit from rain dance just as much as you, and Lanturn would appreciate its opponent to waste a turn doing its rain dance trick for it for STAB 100% accuracy thunder...

Dizzy
September 14th, 2003, 12:00 PM
omg , i dont see ur point , and gyardos can learn thunder y is it so weak against it .......

Frostweaver
September 14th, 2003, 12:29 PM
and at the same time we see earthquaking Thyplosion, shadow punching Dusclops, tons of normal type learning focus punch, and best of all, a Venomoth who's part poison who can NATURALLY learn psychic too...

just cause you can learn it, that doesn't mean you can't be weak against it. We do see Pikachu suffer from many "electrical" diseases in the anime a lot too right?

Kairi
September 14th, 2003, 12:29 PM
I like

Return
Dragon Dance
Rest
Hidden Power

for Kingdra...

the point is if Gyrados was Dragon/Water it would be almost as bad as Mewtwo was on RBY. Undefeatable and can raise it's stats to unholy proportions.

Frostweaver
September 14th, 2003, 12:36 PM
i'm not so fond of HP personally... as if you're doing things the real legal way, using HP right is close to impossible... So i avoid HP on my own Pokemon...

well either way, a Pokemon doesn't have to have a STAB move, and a Pokemon can be weak to a move that it is capable of learning.

Spike Razzor
September 14th, 2003, 01:01 PM
flying is good against grass, bug, and fighting. Venusaur can get sludge bomb in rs (took them long enough to give it a stab poison move).

I was speaking about its defencive ability, not what it can knockout. And can't true grass types learn Sludge Bomb? I never tryed cause I tought Arbok Sludge Bomb for soem strange reason =3.

Frostweaver
September 14th, 2003, 11:25 PM
Grass types without being part poison can learn sludge bomb... but that doesn't mean a grass/poison pokemon should lose its poison ability anyway cause you can do without it... well then if that's the truth then we don't need any types. Snorlax can learn ice attacks, fire attacks, ground attacks, fighting attacks, psychic, and so on... Pidgey can learn dark attacks, flying, normal, steel and etc...

Spike Razzor
September 15th, 2003, 03:04 AM
Grass types without being part poison can learn sludge bomb... but that doesn't mean a grass/poison pokemon should lose its poison ability anyway cause you can do without it... well then if that's the truth then we don't need any types. Snorlax can learn ice attacks, fire attacks, ground attacks, fighting attacks, psychic, and so on... Pidgey can learn dark attacks, flying, normal, steel and etc...
Well you still didn't give me a goood reason why, like from what I have seen Posion/Bug moves are the weakest kind of elements because they do close to nothing. And don't bring Snorlax up, its status makes it like God to anything trying to attack it. It can take any kind of attack and then go to sleep with its Snore combo. And yes Pidgey can learn Steel wing because it has wings (abviously), and persuit makes sence.

Iveechan
September 15th, 2003, 12:09 PM
You don't have to be all sarcastic with the Kingdra thing, Frost. I still find its movepool good imho. Despite the good Attack, Kingdra is meant to be a special attacker, and I think Dragon Breath is still an annoying move. With STAB it's... I think 90 in power I think, and if it paralyzes you then you're screwed unless you're lucky. So it can't beat a special absorber like Blissey? Then... you switch to a physical user, unless the Kingdra does have the return/dragon dance combo. Unless a hazer comes out.

That's what's great about RS, there's a counter for *almost* everything. I still think a dragon dancing part Ground Tyranitar is beatable. Someone brings in an anti-type type on the switch in, forcing the Tyranitar to either switch out or risk being killed. If the Pokemon was a Suicune or Meganium, then they could survive a pumped up physical attack. Tyranitar's only current 4X weakness is fighting, and fighting pokemon and moves are not as commonly seen anyway.

Has it been mentioned that Volbeat/Illumise should be part Electric? I think it has. They can learn Electric moves with TM's, right?

Frostweaver
September 15th, 2003, 10:26 PM
90 attack power dragonbreath still isn't that great... when you got the surf alternative at 142.5... but either way let's drop the kingdra issue aside for the moment.

Bug is certainly one of the strongest element. Being strong to dark, ghost, psychic and grass, bug type attacks are very powerful... if only there's more moves for the bug element. Right now there's only megahorn (but only horded by Rhyhorn and Heracross) and HP Bug... with a rare Silver Wind once in awhile. Bug moves are still rare... if you got "Silver Wind" as a tm in place of shockwave... you can imagine a world with everyteam having a Silver Wind-er. Bug attacks are major weaknesses to the great Shedinja, the every so annoying Dusclops, evil psychic legendaries, everyone's favorite dark type tank Umbreon, and finally the ghost type sp.att user Gengar... all these very common Pokemon are all weak to bug. How can you say bug is useless? If there's more bug attacks, then you'll see bug moves more often. Right now there's only 2 choices pretty much... Hidden Power or Silver Wind...

Poison does need a buff along with grass types, i'll agree on that part... The only poison moves nowadays is toxic. Sludge Bomb is a great move, but like Steel Wing, powerful but weak in terms of element... so therefore they're not a common sight in the metagame...

Snorlax is beatable as long as it doesn't have curse/rest... i don't really care what moves it got... it's all about cursing and resting for Snorlax. It's evil because there's only one pseduohazer that can safely remove Snorlax- Skarmory. Otherwise... well snore all you want... *brick break hits Snorlax*

Due to the great invention of Brick Break, which many Pokemon can learn as long as they have arms pretty much, fighting attacks are a lot more common. Fighting types got a big buff in my opinion in GSC, but got no good tms to make fighting moves common. Finally the amazing tm is invented, and brick break should be more commonly used to counter T-tar obviously, and also Regi-Ice which is also a common sight. Now the almight Snorlax can learn brick break as well, even Skarmory the last of the pseduohazers who can live against Snorlax is safe no more...

types that need to be buffed- grass, poison
types that need to be nerfed- dark (so far only dark)

Volbeat and Illumise should be part electric... then we wont' have so much "fillers"... giving it an unique type will at least give it some "use"... maybe...

Kairi
September 16th, 2003, 06:25 AM
Snore? Nobody gives Snorlax Snore...

It has Block now, so it could easily set up if you don't switch to Skarmory first thing. Most Snorlaxes pack Fire Blast, Curse, Rest, and Double Edge (for taking out a few specific tanks Body Slam won't cover).

Hidden Power is used all the time, especially on Zapdos and Jolteon. Usually Hidden Power Water70, it can really make Zapdos or Jolteon insane. Jolteon makes a Substitute, they switch to ground type. Jolteon blasts it with Hidden Power, and even if it doesnt finish off the Ground type, it has to tear through the sub first.

Fighting did rise up in GSC, and even more now. I suspect Bug will reach this "Ice" like level of power in the next game.

Blissey, with Skarmory and Suicune will beat out almost any strategy; it's usually accompanied by Curselax or Bonewak. No matter how many stupid Bonewaks I have taken out, it's still always hard to do. They too pack Fire Blast for Skarmory, and Swords Dance.

Well, a STAB'd Earthquake from a DD Tyranitar isn't weak, and if it has Chestorest then it'll be around well after it takes out the anti-type. Almost everything that learns Dragon Dance is overused these days. Plus, if you switch Tyranitar in, it takes out Shedinja without even doing a move.

Pezz
September 16th, 2003, 11:13 AM
O.O

Wow, you guys really know a lot about Pokemon...

Anywho, I think that Golduck should be part psychic. He and Psyduck can learn psychic moves and they're always described as psychic ducks, so they should be psychic =D

Frostweaver
September 16th, 2003, 02:31 PM
ice is always overused... ice beam is just a must have on every team now to take out the dragons. It's just that STAB ice beam is rare in the older times with only Articuno to do the job with the occassional Lapras ice beam (which isn't that powerful even with STAB as it's only at an average stat for stats). And now it has risen up and joined the battle with Regi Ice who can tank and dish out great sp.att damage too with ice beam and thunderbolt.

Snorlax is even more evil than before... i can only think of Dusclops who can do a "draw" against Snorlax. Dusclops can set up for the evil double team+pressure combo as most Snorlax can't hit Dusclops (Snorlax's fire blast can't exactly kill anything but as a purpose to act as a Skarmory flak). Then it's just there to see if the Snorlax player will give in and switch out snorlax, or just sit around to waste PP for both Pokemon...

i'm personally not a great fan of Hidden Power... it's great but technically it shouldn't really be used as it's near impossible to get a pokemon with the right hidden power with the right personality in the actual gameboy advance game. But that doesn't mean it's a bad move, as it introduces a lot of surprises for the opponent.

At least be glad that there's brick break to surprise Blissey (still not likely to rid the evil egg once and for all but better than nothing), Dusclops to stall with Curselax, and Bonewak is no more... Suicune now has its own counterpart to face off now (Regi Ice) which will lead into an interesting match... Suicune having mirror coat or not will decide its fate against Regi Ice (reflecting the thunderbolt back will hurt a lot...)

Dragon dancers are so commonly used, and it's not surprising. It's pretty much the opposite of curse. Curse allows a Pokemon to become a fortress, while Dragon Dance gives a Pokemon the ability of assassination, or just KO. Pokemon like Charizard in the past bend both ways to use sp.att and att together. Now it has become a physical attacker most of the time (either using dragon dance or sword dance as the buff).

if any certain moves need balancing, it has to be rest... reduce the PP down to 5 will make all Curselax's opponents happier. Also the games won't take half as long anymore then... (but however... 5 pp rest will make Dusclops even more common than now... hmm...)

PS: Whoever said Pokemon isn't complicated... read and look at all these junk

Kairi
September 16th, 2003, 02:48 PM
Suicune has Calm Mind now however, although Regice has Amnesia. So yeah, that's kind of a draw there.

Hidden Power isn't good on the GBA, but you have to realize arguing it's obtainablilty, you could also bring up the impossibility of perfect IV Pokmon, and shiny etc. Online battling is the theoretical maximum level of play and assumes the greatest values on the variables that, while impractical on the Gameboy, are certainly possible.

Spike Razzor
September 16th, 2003, 02:52 PM
Bug is certainly one of the strongest element. Being strong to dark, ghost, psychic and grass, bug type attacks are very powerful... if only there's more moves for the bug element. Right now there's only megahorn (but only horded by Rhyhorn and Heracross) and HP Bug... with a rare Silver Wind once in awhile. Bug moves are still rare... if you got "Silver Wind" as a tm in place of shockwave... you can imagine a world with everyteam having a Silver Wind-er. Bug attacks are major weaknesses to the great Shedinja, the every so annoying Dusclops, evil psychic legendaries, everyone's favorite dark type tank Umbreon, and finally the ghost type sp.att user Gengar... all these very common Pokemon are all weak to bug. How can you say bug is useless? If there's more bug attacks, then you'll see bug moves more often. Right now there's only 2 choices pretty much... Hidden Power or Silver Wind...

Yes but have you see how low there overall status is? and most bugs are part posion which makes there weak to Psychic. Just some like Butterfree, that other one in RS and Heracross can prob stand up to 2-3 hits before they get knocked out. And Ghost attacks I don't know if they do weakness damage to any Pokemon, I think. Counting on, Megahorn is pretty useless seeing how it won't live long enough to do much. Ghost, Grass, Psychic 3 types I rarely use for battling with elements. No fear from weak bug attacks. Posion really needs to comeback here, the only one that does damage when it hits is prob Posion sting & Acid. And we already know thats a waste of a turn. And Grass its only weak to Fire, and Ice, good against Water. Seems fine to me, Maybe teach something Sunny Day then Solar beam seems to be the only way of striking for this type then again, there is Leaf Blade but I dunno how much it does but it did seem good when it nearly kill me off in RS.

Frostweaver
September 16th, 2003, 03:16 PM
Yes but have you see how low there overall status is? and most bugs are part posion which makes there weak to Psychic. Just some like Butterfree, that other one in RS and Heracross can prob stand up to 2-3 hits before they get knocked out. And Ghost attacks I don't know if they do weakness damage to any Pokemon, I think. Counting on, Megahorn is pretty useless seeing how it won't live long enough to do much. Ghost, Grass, Psychic 3 types I rarely use for battling with elements. No fear from weak bug attacks. Posion really needs to comeback here, the only one that does damage when it hits is prob Posion sting & Acid. And we already know thats a waste of a turn. And Grass its only weak to Fire, and Ice, good against Water. Seems fine to me, Maybe teach something Sunny Day then Solar beam seems to be the only way of striking for this type then again, there is Leaf Blade but I dunno how much it does but it did seem good when it nearly kill me off in RS.

once again, bug attacks don't have to come from STAB. Recall the memories of Bonewak please... Bug Pokemon (majority of them) are fillers and are not usable. But there's Heracross, Scizor, Shedinja, Ninjask and a few others that's completely compatible with the metagame.

Heracross can stand 2-3 rounds like you say. And you think there's not long enough staying power to pull off the almight megahorn? Well my friend... power of the jolly Heracross comes when it's at 1 hp with salac berry... reversal megahorn sweep... it's pretty fast with jolly and salac berry together. If you are still unsecure, pass an agility then. Plus psychic types don't have any physical def to last a STAB megahorn from heracross...

The ohter bug, Shedinja is definitely worth mentioning. Its influence on the game is so great that it scared the uber Kyogre into abandoning ice beam for ancientpower just for the pure purpose of ridding this guy. Shedinja is a powerful Pokemon in many situations (though it's also easily killed in many other situations). Its other evolution Ninjask is by no doubt the best baton passer in the history of Pokemon. With speed boost for free agility, and sword dance for the frightening power, it is a support Pokemon to be feared off. If it got sucessful passes on to Gyarados... then feel the wrath...

the signature move for the poison element must be no doubt toxic... chop my head off if toxic is not useful.

Grass weakness- flying, ice, fire, bug, poison
Grass resistance- water, grass, electric, ground

exactly how many flamethrowers, ice beam and aerial ace do we see? a whole darn lot... Dragonite, Salamence, Altaria, Shedinja, Alakazam (and its 3 punches), kingdra, Fire Blasting Snorlax and many many others all have one of these 3 moves. Grass type is in deep trouble.

Is using sunny day helping yourself, or are you committing suicide? Do we need an Altaria or Flygon doing KO on a Sceptile? Leaf Blade is good but not enough still. It's only power 75 attack power... only equal to the punches, not the bolts/throwers/beam yet. More improvement is still needed but it's still a great improvement. But grass attacks got no TM of its own like brick break or aerial ace... so grass attacks come from STABbed ones only. Grass type Pokemon can learn close to no other attack but sludge bomb and grass attacks. Sceptile is one of the very few exceptions to learning other attacks (crunch and dclaw). Grass types are actually in big trouble. It is doomed.

Spike Razzor
September 18th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Well Ninjask learns other moves mostly. Bugs need an almighty ruler! Like a big hard shelled bug. With good Defence, good Attack and speed boost! That would be a good combo. =3, they also need way WAY more attack power before that can even become more than pests. Im thinking 10 pp Physical move here.

Frostweaver
September 18th, 2003, 01:25 PM
Well Ninjask learns other moves mostly. Bugs need an almighty ruler! Like a big hard shelled bug. With good Defence, good Attack and speed boost! That would be a good combo. =3, they also need way WAY more attack power before that can even become more than pests. Im thinking 10 pp Physical move here.

not all Pokemon needs to be completely useable in the metagame. We do see a lot of crappy water types too like Luvdisc, and normal types like Dunsparce... Grass types got Tangela, Sunflora and etc... Bug types also got its fair share for non-usable Pokemon, like Butterfree.

a Pokemon with high attack, high defense and high speed plus speed boost is not a POkemon. it's a monster then... Bug got its 10 PP physical move already, which is megahorn (deadly attack power too.) Hidden Power Bug is also very powerful, with good PP and 70 attack power (that's only 5 attack power off the almighty grass attack Leaf Blade.) If they throw in a bug attack that's similar to Aerial Ace where everyone can learn it, you'll see it everywhere very soon if such a tm exist...

bug attacks are strong against so many elements its' not even funny. But good thing is that the amount of bug attacks are limited so it is under control.

Spike Razzor
September 18th, 2003, 04:08 PM
not all Pokemon needs to be completely useable in the metagame. We do see a lot of crappy water types too like Luvdisc, and normal types like Dunsparce... Grass types got Tangela, Sunflora and etc... Bug types also got its fair share for non-usable Pokemon, like Butterfree.

a Pokemon with high attack, high defense and high speed plus speed boost is not a POkemon. it's a monster then... Bug got its 10 PP physical move already, which is megahorn (deadly attack power too.) Hidden Power Bug is also very powerful, with good PP and 70 attack power (that's only 5 attack power off the almighty grass attack Leaf Blade.) If they throw in a bug attack that's similar to Aerial Ace where everyone can learn it, you'll see it everywhere very soon if such a tm exist...

bug attacks are strong against so many elements its' not even funny. But good thing is that the amount of bug attacks are limited so it is under control.
Its kind of strange how they would make attacks for only 2 Pokemon, And I never said the hard shelled Bug Pokemon hade to have good speed on it own =3, Speed Boost will only work like 5 or so times then it would have no effect like all status based moves. And I don't think low status would be work and extremely good move, and Butterfree is good in a way. Able to use Psychic moves without being Psychic type, and judging by what you said Hidden Power is super effective against something your weak against.

Frostweaver
September 18th, 2003, 04:30 PM
because if Megahorn isn't trademarked on a few Pokemon, you won't see psychic, dark or bug types at all in battling...

Butterfree is a rather poor Pokemon with too low stats to be used. Having it to battle pokemon with 300-500 points higher in overall stats is going to kill Butterfree...

Speed boost won't make sense on a slow pokemon in the first place... secondly, it can make a Pokemon fast with no effort. Say you have 200 max agility at lvl 100 (which is pretty slow...) You become...

233 speed in one speed boost... and so on
267 speed
300 speed
333 speed
366 speed
400 speed after all speed boosts

400 speed is very fast. you doubled your speed with no effort in a few turns. That's deadly enough... if they did pseduohaze you you can restart the speed skyrocket procedure while attacking/buffing other categories at the same time. Speed boost is only given to 2 Pokemon who can't attack at all, so that's why it's not in the broken rank. Like give Speed boost to Gyarados and you'll imagine the terror.

Kairi
September 18th, 2003, 05:20 PM
Also, just remember stats no longer have the 999 cap on them. Just thought I'd remind everyone.

Dizzy
September 18th, 2003, 05:22 PM
umm , like thats pretty Algebraic and Technical dont you think?

Frostweaver
September 18th, 2003, 05:27 PM
umm , like thats pretty Algebraic and Technical dont you think?

and what makes you think that Pokemon is never complicated or technical? Pokemon must be one of the hardest and most complicated game in the world...

thank goodness Bonewak is now extinct or else it'll be rejoicing in paradise in the "Legendary Rank" for the metagame along with Blocklax, Kyogre and etc...

Dizzy
September 18th, 2003, 05:29 PM
Maybe because i think pokemon is for Fun , and For Little Kids who cant add without using there fingers , lol.

Spike Razzor
September 18th, 2003, 05:35 PM
Speed boost won't make sense on a slow pokemon in the first place... secondly, it can make a Pokemon fast with no effort. Say you have 200 max agility at lvl 100 (which is pretty slow...) You become...

400 speed is very fast. you doubled your speed with no effort in a few turns. That's deadly enough... if they did pseduohaze you you can restart the speed skyrocket procedure while attacking/buffing other categories at the same time. Speed boost is only given to 2 Pokemon who can't attack at all, so that's why it's not in the broken rank. Like give Speed boost to Gyarados and you'll imagine the terror.

Actually, speed boost on a slow Pokemon does make sence. Think of the super Bug Pokemon I was talking about as a truck (without trailer), it takes off like a snail. But as it gains speed it becomes as a fast a normal car, prob 220 if it has turbo. And yes Gyarados with Speed Boost its like Godzilla on drugs! Oh one more thing, if Ninjask is 1 of the only Pokemon that learns it and can't attack, then why is it so good like you said?

*runs off to get Ninjask*

Frostweaver
September 18th, 2003, 05:42 PM
Let's bring out Kairi's classic case...

Ninjask uses sword dance! (atk up by 2)
(opponent turn)
In between turn: speed boost (spd up by 1)
(leftover heals ninjask, if any)
Ninjask uses protect!
(oppoennt's turn but miss)
In between turn: speed boost (sped up by 1)

so for every opportunity that the opponent can hit Ninajsk with, you enjoy one free agility and one swords dance. So it's either they kill you, or one agility+sword dance for you. It's the fastest and safest way to baton pass in ruby and sapphire, and speed boost is the only thing that makes Ninjask the best baton passer (therefore used in the metagame)

Speed Boost is Ninjask's life. Without it Ninjask will also go to the useless bin.

Spike Razzor
September 19th, 2003, 05:28 AM
Ninjask uses sword dance! (atk up by 2)
(opponents turn:Uses move that has speed powere of 2 (Quick Attack, Extreme Speed ect.)
In between turn: speed boost (spd up by 1)
Ninjask uses protect!
(opponents turn:Fly)
In between turn: speed boost (sped up by 1)
(opponents turn:Fly hits)

Wow that took long....

Kairi
September 19th, 2003, 05:49 AM
Nobody in their right mind would use Fly/Dig/Dive. It's a poor move no matter how you look at it. Besides, Ninjask could pass that turn before the Flyer came down...

Ninjask uses Protect
Foe flew up high!
Ninjask recovers with the Leftovers!
Ninjask uses Baton Pass! Ninjask, come back! Go Rhydon!
Foe used fly!
It's not very effective...

Spike Razzor
September 19th, 2003, 06:41 AM
Nobody in their right mind would use Fly/Dig/Dive. It's a poor move no matter how you look at it. Besides, Ninjask could pass that turn before the Flyer came down...

Ninjask uses Protect
Foe flew up high!
Foe used fly!
Remeber Ninjask is still a bug, so it would be either higly effective or super effective. And you obvoiusly don't know what you were doing, using fly right away is stupid, rather use fast active moves like Extreme Speed or Arieal Ace. It would do damage while the stupid bug is sitting there using sword dance.

Anyone can switch out so why use a baton passer? it takes up space and it can't even attack. I honsetly can't see a use for that Pokemon, either than wasting time. I could just use weak moves to waste up its Protect or strike once its used it already (it will failes after the 2nd or 3ed try). And the nasty lil bug dies.

Spike Razzor
September 19th, 2003, 06:44 AM

Ninjask uses Protect
Foe flew up high!
Foe used fly!
Remeber Ninjask is still a bug, so it would be either higly effective or super effective. And you obvoiusly don't know what you were doing, using fly right away is stupid, rather use fast active moves like Extreme Speed or Arieal Ace. It would do damage while the stupid bug is sitting there using sword dance.

Anyone can switch out so why use a baton passer? it takes up space and it can't even attack. I honsetly can't see a use for that Pokemon, either than wasting time. I could just use weak moves to waste up its Protect or strike once its used it already (it will failes after the 2nd or 3ed try). And the nasty lil bug dies.

Kairi
September 19th, 2003, 07:33 AM
Point being, Rhydon is now out with 2x modifiers on Speed and Attack, and Baton Pass would go first so Ninjask wouldn't get hit. If you hit them with Extremespeed, good job, but it won't take it down. It will still get off that Baton Pass and make a tank, one with Megahorn nonetheless.

Aerial Ace is not a 1st turn move, it's a perfect accuracy move.

jynx
September 19th, 2003, 11:08 AM
At first, ghost PM are my favourite and I thought that.......
Abra,Kadabra,Alakazam,Jynx, Cloyster and Gardevoir were ghosts.

Dizzy
September 19th, 2003, 05:47 PM
OK lets use the Frostweaver System here.

This is supposed to be a discussion about incorrect pokemon types ^^ , you guys made it way off subject.

Frostweavers pokemon system is the best .......

jynx
September 20th, 2003, 10:01 AM
OK lets use the Frostweaver System here.

This is supposed to be a discussion about incorrect pokemon types ^^ , you guys made it way off subject.

Frostweavers pokemon system is the best .......

What's frstweavers pokemon system?

Frostweaver
September 20th, 2003, 03:54 PM
what is my pokemon system? ^_^;;

back on the big baton passing arguments, baton pass is not simply switch but also switch with the stat modifiers passed on to the new Pokemon as well. Ninjask is the fastest Pokemon already (unless paralyzed) and with speed boost it's light speed... baton pass will always go first when used by Ninjask unless the opponent uses quick attack, mach punch or extremespeed (which only extremespeed is used and there aren't that much extremespeed user... plus Ninjask got poor def but it can still withstand an extremespeed)

jynx
September 21st, 2003, 05:45 AM
what is my pokemon system? ^_^;;

back on the big baton passing arguments, baton pass is not simply switch but also switch with the stat modifiers passed on to the new Pokemon as well. Ninjask is the fastest Pokemon already (unless paralyzed) and with speed boost it's light speed... baton pass will always go first when used by Ninjask unless the opponent uses quick attack, mach punch or extremespeed (which only extremespeed is used and there aren't that much extremespeed user... plus Ninjask got poor def but it can still withstand an extremespeed)
Sometimes I do think that Pokemon abilities are crazy.
Its totally unnessessary (spelling?) for Ninjask to have speed boost.

Dizzy
September 21st, 2003, 09:45 AM
Well , all your mathimatical , pyshiologist , technologic Pokemon Caluclations......... With all your little points and stuff like , Kyorge , 349 , ummmm Gyardos 600 , for example.

Frostweaver
September 21st, 2003, 11:12 AM
It's completely necessary for Ninjask to have speed boost if you ask me... i can bet you ANYTHING that if Ninjask loses speed boost then you can't find it in the metagame anymore... speed boost = ultimate baton passer Ninjask (using one right now against 22sa in the trivia forum :) )

Kairi
September 21st, 2003, 11:28 AM
Too bad you can't get RSbot to work, you'd be a wonderful foe frostweaver. I hope you'll use Netbattle RS when it arrives. I'd love to watch you play. ^_^

Frostweaver
September 21st, 2003, 11:52 AM
Too bad you can't get RSbot to work, you'd be a wonderful foe frostweaver. I hope you'll use Netbattle RS when it arrives. I'd love to watch you play. ^_^

for some reason i'm scared of that... somehow... *starts designing a requiem for himself for his own funeral*

Yanma is the other speed booster... but it can't baton pass, can't attack... so it's a waste of precious speed boost...

i've just thought of something... how come jynx can't learn curse (not that she needs it for the metagame or anything...)? It's name is "jynx" afterall...

Dizzy
September 21st, 2003, 11:55 AM
What is a Rsbot .........

OK back on topic

were discussing INCORRECT pokemon TYPES.

Frostweaver
September 21st, 2003, 12:03 PM
RSbot- pokemon online battling system that allows pokefans to battle each other across the internet Ruby Sapphire style

incorrect types- umm... porygon2... for some reason i think it should be steel as it's manmade (and steel type is as close as manmade as possible...) but that will disturb the metagame by quite a bit so i'll shut up now.

Dizzy
September 21st, 2003, 12:07 PM
Um wuts a Metagame lol , IM sped ........... please Exuse my dear aunt sally

Frostweaver
September 21st, 2003, 12:23 PM
are you ever obsessed with the word SPED today... what is it anyway?

just say... the metagame = Pokemon game... that would be a simple answer that is straight to the point.

Lanceiscool
October 28th, 2003, 06:30 AM
Koffing always looked rock-type to me.

Porygon
October 28th, 2003, 10:36 AM
Beedrill and Venomoth should be Flyingtypes, not Poisontypes.

Sorry if this is posted already, but it's a big thread.

Dizzy
October 28th, 2003, 11:38 AM
No they should Be poison Types , Why?

Venomoth ~ although it is a flying bug , its more poison than Flying , Also Moth's might be flying creatures but they also need Land ( trees ) to land on.

Beedrill ~ What's the first thing you think about when you hear bee? Stinger , and what is the stinger? Its a point on a bee that secretes poison. So in fact , bees are poison even though they are bugs.

and another thing

Masquerain ~ this pokemon might be able to use water attacks but it is no longer a water type pokemon.

Frostweaver
October 28th, 2003, 03:03 PM
Koffing is suppose to be a stink-bomb as well... and stink bomb isn't make out of rock... plus a rock made of gas is rather.. contradictary...

about the bug types i don't know myself... they certainly are "flying" but i guess their other properties out-dominate their flying skills.

lanceisnotcool
November 1st, 2003, 12:32 PM
Koffing always looked rock-type to me.
You are the biggest retard ever Alex.

jynx
November 2nd, 2003, 10:48 AM
Purple rock that squirts poisonous gas? =.=