View Full Version : Hardest Pokemon name to pronounce?

August 5th, 2005, 5:02 PM
Well here you can go ahead and name those Pokemon you hate to pronounce. Personally I think Groudon is tough to pronounce..I'm not sure if it should be pronounced as grew-don or grow(as in growl without and 'l')-don..so people...what are your thoughts?

the skate board kid
August 5th, 2005, 5:41 PM
How about meditite?

August 5th, 2005, 5:57 PM
Hm... for me it'd be some of the new ones like Gardevoir and Barboach. Also, I really think they butcher Larvitar's name on the anime. I mean, since when is an "i" pronounced "ay"??? Because they always say "Larvaytar". It's weird, shouldn't it be more like "Larvitar" with the "vit" sounding like "bit" or "vite". Meh, those two pronunciations make more sense than "ay". -_-

August 5th, 2005, 6:00 PM
Yeah..though I always take note of it I never realise they pronounce it differently..but its 4Kids fault..they kind of suck with the Dubbing.

August 5th, 2005, 6:01 PM
I reckon "Gardevoir". i say Gar-deh-ver.
Also i used to think Roselia was rose-ee-lia when its rose-alia. XD

Crystal Clair
August 5th, 2005, 6:05 PM
I've always had a huge problem pronouncing "Kyogre" but in the end I stuck to my cousin's way of saying it. "Kaigor" but sometimes I say "kaiorga".
Then there were the Pigeot and the Ratata incidents. And at the time I had a pronounciation booklet of the names
Pidgeot: everyone said Pijeeaht but me and the book, the books said pijiht but then again so did Officer Jenny in "Houen Alone"
Ratata: I thought EVERYONE said Ruhtatuh but suddenly I find out its Ratuhta. I mean like wtf!!11oneone

August 5th, 2005, 6:53 PM
Most people I know pronounce rattata like "rattatat". I pronounce it the way they do in the dubbed anime.

My list (with how I pronounce each name):

Chimecho (Chime-eko, I think that's right)
Misdreavus (Miss-druh-vus)
Numel (Noo-mul)
Kyogre (Kee-oh-gur)
Milotic (My-luh-tic)
Chinchou (Chin-cho)
Ampharos (Am-pha-ross)
Gardevoir (Garde-vwa)
Kirlia (Kurly-uh)
Grovyle (Grov-ul)

August 5th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Well sounds pretty pathetic but it was probably Rayquaza for me. On the Deoxys movie they said RAY-QUAY-ZA and for a long time I've been saying RAY-QUAZ-A. I always say the 2nd one anyways cause I'll forget how to say it properly.

Fury of Ninetales
August 6th, 2005, 8:19 AM
i agree geoff. my friend and i always said ray-quaz-a and now after seeing the 7th movie, he sometimes says the butchered 4kids name ray-quay-za. i've always said gar-de-vwar for gardevoir and pidjit for pidgeot. i used to say suicune's name really weirdly. i said -sue-i-cane instead of swee-coon. dumb me XD

August 6th, 2005, 8:31 AM
Hm, I haven't seen the Deoxys movie; I pronounce it Ray-quahz-uh. the other pronunciation sounds strange o.O

Chairman Kaga
August 6th, 2005, 9:24 AM
I've always had a beef with the way the name Lugia is pronounced.

LOOGIE-ah sounds like something you cough up when you have bronchitis. I've always preferred loo-GUY-ah.

Oh, and for the longest time I pronounced Wobbuffet "Wobbuffay", as in a food buffet, it was never cleared up until Jessie got that infernal creature in Johto <_<;

August 6th, 2005, 9:38 AM
Yeah..though I always take note of it I never realise they pronounce it differently..but its 4Kids fault..they kind of suck with the Dubbing.
Exactly that...about HOW many times have they been suck-ups with the dubbing? Lets find out...

(This is a Stadium 2 error)

And the Pidgey line an Rattata as noted.

August 7th, 2005, 6:33 AM
QUAGSIRE is the hardest pokemon for me to pronounce.( Actually, i still dont know how to pronounce it!)

August 7th, 2005, 6:38 AM
Rattata. Its hard to spell, and I thought it was always Rat-tat-tat for some strange reason...O_o

Alter Ego
August 7th, 2005, 6:44 AM
Kyogre, I never get that one right. And Misdreavus and Chimecho are a bit of a pain too, but besides that they're not so hard really...

August 7th, 2005, 7:24 AM
Kyogre for me the first part kyi is pretty simple but the gre just seems to get stuck in my tounge, I used to have some problem pronouncing deoxys too.

Dragon Lover
August 7th, 2005, 7:49 AM
Misdreveas... I can't even spell the bloody thing...

August 11th, 2005, 8:58 PM
Lugia sounds like loogie, phlem you spit up which is nasty.

I say:

Rayquaza as Ray-Qwah-Zah,
Kyogre as Key-Oh-Gray,
Misdreavus as Miss-Dree-Vee-Us,
Gardevoir as Gar-Dee-Vwar *it sounds French*

As for the legendary dogs, they ticked me off in Colleseum, so I just called them Raikou *Rye-Coo is how I pronounce it, Hentai *for Entei, and Suicide *for Suicune, which I pronounce Sway-Coon. Hows that for those Japanese people giving them impossible names.

Random Plushie
August 11th, 2005, 9:42 PM
This reminds me of how my friend thinks that Rattata is Ratattack. XD

I always thought Kyogre was pronounced Ky-oh-ger. o.O;

August 11th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Pokemon like Gyardos and Kyogre, with the 'y' in the name somewhere. its confusing.

Happy Dude
August 11th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Definitly Dexoys.

Man that is confusing.

August 12th, 2005, 5:13 AM
Gaaaah! Tch, I dunno WHAT ta call Kyogre!

Gaaah!! *pulls his scales out*

August 12th, 2005, 5:15 AM
Groudon and Kyogre. I hear different pronounciations all the time.

August 12th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Rayquaza (Ray quay za) That one threw me for a loop. Even CAeshar was wrong about it.

August 12th, 2005, 5:52 PM
I never knew how to pronounce Gardevoir.

And Jynx made me practised for like 2 years...

August 13th, 2005, 5:45 AM
None of the pokemon names seems hard for me to pronounce... But in my opinion it's kyogre... Many ppl in my class pronounce kyogre's name as kai-yo-gray... I used to have problems pronouncing Chimecho... But now... No more problems...

Kyrie Eleison
August 13th, 2005, 8:42 AM
I always pronounce Kyogre as ky-OH-gra. I don't know the right way to pronounce it, I just pronounce it the way my mind tells me to.

And Gardevoir....my goodness. I always pronounce it GARD-eh-vwar. No idea if that's the right way, though.

Regice. For some reason, that name always gets me confused. Is it REG-ice or red-GI-ice? I've always wondered that.

August 13th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Kyogre. I pronounce it Key-og-ruh. x.X and Groudon, I get confused with that aswell. Deoxy's is confusing aswell. Ugh.. I get confused with a lot of them! XD

August 14th, 2005, 6:10 AM
I say kai-oh-ga for Kyogre, and deh-oki-sys for Deoxys.

But seriously, how do you pronounce Chimecho?

Kyrie Eleison
August 14th, 2005, 9:30 AM

I think it's pronounced kim-ME-ko, that's how I've always pronounced Chimecho.

August 14th, 2005, 10:27 AM

Easy, Kohei. Two words: Chime-Echo, otherwise Ch-ime-ec-ho.
So, yeah. Just like the two words in the name. Chime and echo.

August 14th, 2005, 11:55 AM
For me was Rayquaza and suicune, I think i still can't pronounce suicune XD

August 14th, 2005, 8:41 PM
Can anyone teach me how to pronounce Gardevoir?

Random Plushie
August 14th, 2005, 9:00 PM
^^^ I thought Gardevoir was Gahr-deh-vohr. Of course I'm probably wrong. XD

So many different ways to pronounce Kyogre. O_o

I still say Ky-oh-ger. And yet, I'm probably still wrong. XD

August 14th, 2005, 9:09 PM

Kyogre? I'd rather say its Japanese name...

August 15th, 2005, 4:10 AM
How does everyone pronounce Totodile? I pronounce it Toe-toe-dile. I seem to remember in the anime they pronounced it Tot-a-dile. x.X

Cybex Mewtwo
August 15th, 2005, 6:23 AM
I always had trouble pronouncing Suicune.

I first said Su-e-sine

then Su-i-sune

Now I say Su-i-kune

August 15th, 2005, 6:30 AM
actualy, gardevoir is french it just meens gard or someone who watches over

August 15th, 2005, 7:08 AM
I pronounce arcanine are-kuh-nine, but the announcer pronounces it ar-kay-nine on stadium 2, and one of my friends pronouced azurill azz-ree-ill, and even though I know it's uh-zoo-rill, I make that mistake every once in a while. plus the announcer on stadium2 prounounces raichu ray-chu, I make that mistake too.(dumb announcer!)