PDA

View Full Version : Information Technology Chit-chat

Hiroshi Sotomura
February 9th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Since the old Computer/OS Talk has been pushed back to the dark pages, here's a new thread for it.
Talk about your computer at home, school, etc. Show specifications of it! Or chat about the latest technology available!

Jake's updated specifications
Power Mac G4 400MHz Sawtooth
Pioneer DVD-RW/CD-RW DVR-106
No internal floppy
2 USB ports
2 FireWire ports
40 GB hard drive
512 MB RAM

^^NICK^^ v.2.0
February 9th, 2004, 12:31 PM
I have a DeLL. That's all I know. It's black. It's Windows XP. It says Pentium 4 on the computer. That's all I know

Haruka
February 9th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Heres my boring... nm

Dell Dimension 2350
2.0 gHZ Intel Celeron Processor (I really hate it!)
30 GB Harddrive
8x DVD Drive, 32x4x2x External CD-RW Drive
Floppy Drive
56k Modem
Sound Card
384 MB of Memory (128 MB DDR + 256 MB DDR) (NOT THE GAME)
10/100MPS Network Card
Windows XP Professional
4 USB in Back, 2 USB in Front
Earphone Plug

^^NICK^^ v.2.0
February 9th, 2004, 12:43 PM
I have two cd things, I have a cable modem, and a cd bruner

Hiroshi Sotomura
February 9th, 2004, 12:44 PM
I just erased and partitioned my hard drive. 10 GB for each drive, holding Mac OS 9, Mac OS X, Mac OS X 10.2, and a drive waiting for 10.3.

Now I need to get programs on. Unfortunately parts of my DVDs are slown on copying.

Haruka
February 9th, 2004, 12:46 PM
X_X... I installed no SP1 verson of XP and it ruined AOL...

Format and driver reinstalation is painful.. >_< it takes hours...

Hiroshi Sotomura
February 9th, 2004, 12:51 PM
At least Mac OS X 10.2 comes with all the drivers I need.

^^NICK^^ v.2.0
February 9th, 2004, 12:54 PM
what is partition? I've been hearing that.

Haruka
February 9th, 2004, 12:55 PM
A petition is part of a harddrive. >_<

ask Kairi... she knows more then I do on computers.

Timbjerr
February 9th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Information Technology...isn't that what IT stands for?

anyways...my dad is an IT dude at his office, so he knows a lot more about computers than I ever hope to know. He built the computer I"m using now out of pieces he salvaged from outdated computers from work, so I'm basically running a mutt machine with XP

lol

Haruka
February 9th, 2004, 08:05 PM
No Dude! I heard enough Dude... because I wrote a Story on Brawly which is a surfer that says Dude alot...

100marios
February 9th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Information Technology...isn't that what IT stands for?

anyways...my dad is an IT dude at his office, so he knows a lot more about computers than I ever hope to know. He built the computer I"m using now out of pieces he salvaged from outdated computers from work, so I'm basically running a mutt machine with XP

lol
Same here hehe.......
My dad likes to buy each piece seperate when they're on sale, so none of the pieces actually belong with one another....at least I don't think so hehe....

Timbjerr
February 9th, 2004, 08:26 PM
No Dude! I heard enough Dude... because I wrote a Story on Brawly which is a surfer that says Dude alot...
dude? lol

what is wrong with the word "dude"?
It is the cornerstone of modern slang. Without it, there will be no slang to help differentiate between teenagers and adults by their speech.

besides you whole post is off-topic...and you call yourself a mod XDD

Same here hehe.......
My dad likes to buy each piece seperate when they're on sale, so none of the pieces actually belong with one another....at least I don't think so hehe....
lol...at least it works just fine... I mean it hasn't exploded my desk or anyhng yet.

100marios
February 9th, 2004, 08:30 PM
dude? lol

what is wrong with the word "dude"?
It is the cornerstone of modern slang. Without it, there will be no slang to help differentiate between teenagers and adults by their speech.

besides you whole post is off-topic...and you call yourself a mod XDD

lol...at least it works just fine... I mean it hasn't exploded my desk or anyhng yet.
Yeah hehe...
Aren't computers not supposed to work as well if they're matched up with pieces from different brands?
I remember, I wasn't able to go onto the computer for what seemed like a month because we couldn't find a little fan that would fit my computer! And when we finally did it broke! Dumb Tigerdirect! Hehe.....

Kairi
February 9th, 2004, 08:31 PM
I wanna build my next computer myself, its not so hard and probably a lot cheaper. I probably could have afforded a P4 EE 3.2 GHz if I had built it myself, though Im not sure what kind of motherboard Id want.

Ill post my current stats up later, but I know Moonlight got an Alienware 3.2 GH P4 EE with 1 GB of RAM and the best ATI card for Christmas.

Of course Intel should have a 4.0 GHz processor out next time I get to build one though, I think mid-2004 is what they're saying.

Haruka
February 9th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Nah... I heard Moonlight is using a Compaq Computer with a Celeron Processor just like me.

=P

I hate celerons.. I Lothe them. =P

Kairi
February 9th, 2004, 08:50 PM
No, she got an Alienware one like that for Christmas, Ill even pull up the post later.

And at least it isnt a slow Celeron, that would be worse.

Hiroshi Sotomura
February 9th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Mozilla Firebird has changed names to Mozilla Firefox.
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/buttons/getfirefox_large2.png (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/)
What's New

Here are the news in this release of Firefox:

Windows Installer Firefox now comes with an installer for Windows. Aside from making the installation process smoother, the installer also solves some common plug-in problems.

Download Manager The new streamlined download manager keeps your downloads organized without getting in your way. Select Tools > Downloads or press Ctrl+E to see it or change its behavior.

New Add Bookmark Dialog The Add Bookmark dialog has been enhanced and now allows the creation of new bookmark folders.

Work Offline It's now possible to view Web pages you've previously visited without being connected to the Internet.

Better Handling of File Types Binary files (e.g. .wma and .rar files) served by servers incorrectly sending text/plain should no longer be displayed as garbage in the browser, rather they should be appropriately handled.

New XPInstall Frontend The dialog that appears when installing themes and extensions has been redesigned and is easier to use.

New default theme for MacOS X The Pinstripe theme integrates better on MacOS X than the Qute theme, used on Windows and Linux.

Lots of bug fixes and improvements Disabling of form auto-completion is now working, the address bar now remembers the edited text across tab switching, among many other bug fixes.

Haruka
February 10th, 2004, 12:46 PM
No, she got an Alienware one like that for Christmas, Ill even pull up the post later.

And at least it isnt a slow Celeron, that would be worse.
And I wasted my money... My machine costs 599 and even more since I added a 256 MB memory stick...

>_<

Yamichu
February 10th, 2004, 01:18 PM
I have an Optima (or whatever) computar that's whitey gray and says Windows XP on it...that's all I know... :disappoin
Oh yeah, it says intel celeron on da side as well.

~HORN!

Kairyu
February 10th, 2004, 01:27 PM
I know I posted my comp stats somewhere in PC but I'm too lazy to find it so I'll just post it again.

Kairyu's mean machine/Custom built Alienware Machine:

Alienware Full-Tower Chassis (420-Watt PS) - And for your information, its case color is Red/Orange with red glowy lights that can pierce your eyes, Mwahaha!
Pentium 4 Processor with HT Technology 3.0GHz 800MHz FSB 512KB Cache
Desktop Board D875PBZ - Intel 875P Motherboard
1GB DDR SDRAM PC-3200 - 2 x 512MB Module
GeForce FX 5950 Ultra 256MB 8x AGP w/DVI & S-Video
120GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Serial ATA 7,200 RPM 8MB Cache (w00t)
Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW
Samsung 52x24x52x16x CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS - 7.1
NEC 19" MultiSync FE991SB Flat CRT (very nice)
Creative MegaWorks THX 2.1 250D speakers

And some other noteworthy tid bits:
-I have four games installed in it.. and they are:
Halo PC, Starcraft: brood war, FFXI, and SimCity 4. I'm not much of computer player, I know.
-Has used about 32 GB of the HDD already, most of which is used to store music files.
-Uses a Dsl modem, its not very fast though>_<
-And even use a wireless keyboard and mouse, lol.
-USB port count: 8

I think I went a bit overboard on the ram but I'll never know when I might need it, lol.

Haruka
February 10th, 2004, 01:30 PM
FireFox is EVIL... don't download for your goodness..

It messed up my webpages... >_<

Kairi
February 10th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Not evil at all, it just runs the gecko engine, which is much different than IEs. As a webmistress, its your responsibility to make sure your site looks as good as possible in IE and Firefox. =\

Haruka
February 10th, 2004, 02:00 PM
No, the colors I picked is not compatable with Mozilla.

usami
February 10th, 2004, 05:20 PM
I dont know much about my computer is:
Windows ME
Cleron Prosessor Thingy
56k modem

Thats all and a side note not very slow @_@ *living in the stoneage*
But it does what i use it for ^_^.

DragonTrainer
February 10th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Let's see here

I have:

A screen thing
A rectangle machine
1 rolly thing that moves the arrow
A typer machine
2 sound doohickeys
Lots of wires

Timbjerr
February 10th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Let's see here

I have:

A screen thing
A rectangle machine
A typer machine
2 sound doohickeys
Lots of wires
dude! you gots like the coolest computer ever!!!
mine is a lot like that exept it has a webcam and mic XDD

DragonTrainer
February 10th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Yes, my computer is excellent
:P

Haruka
February 10th, 2004, 07:19 PM
I want to build my dream computer:

A cheap P4 Processor
ATI All Wonder Video card (the one that media centers uses)
Windows XP Pro.
516 MB
60 GB Harddrive
DVD and CD-RW Drives.

100marios
February 10th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Let's see here

I have:

A screen thing
A rectangle machine
A typer machine
2 sound doohickeys
Lots of wires
Impressive, but I have something none of you have!
A small domestic rodent scurrying inside it's scamper wheel inside the computer!
....I never understood while it was there though...
*grabs the mouse and the computer turns off*
.........................................................................................
.........................................................................................
hehe.

Kairi
February 10th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Pentium 4 3.0 GHz with HT 800MHz FSB 512KB Cache

2 GB of RAM (512 x4)

120 GB hard drive 7200 RPM (The bottleneck of my system pretty much)

ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128 MB DDR

8x DVD-RW drive, of what brand, I have no idea. O_O;

16x DVD-ROM drive

Sound Blaster Audigy2 (D) Card w/Dolby 5.1, and IEEE 1394 capability

8 USB 2.0 ports and 2 Firewire

Speakers are built into the 17 LCD TV w/DVI/ Component/S-video/composite /TV tuner ins

Cable Modem, some gigabit networking inside, and a cheap keyboard and a Logitech mouse

Haruka
February 10th, 2004, 08:27 PM
X_X... I want Verison DSL when AOL expires... or a very fast connection...

I hate waiting for things to download... and I hate celeron processors...

Hiroshi Sotomura
February 10th, 2004, 09:26 PM
No, the colors I picked is not compatable with Mozilla. Whoa whoa Haruka! First, I'd like you to check if your site is W3C compatible and check the colors. It's your code, the Gecko engine can't read it - and you're using Internet Explorer-only code.

Why use Mozilla Firefox?
It's light. People with most platforms can use it. So you can be assured your site looks good, Mac, Windows or Linux. Lots of code in Internet Explorer 6 cannot be found in Internet Explorer for Mac. Mozilla-based browsers are better ON THE MAC and one of the best browser for all platforms.

By the way,
Not only does the layout look color-messed through my Mozilla FireFox, but you'd probably want to see what came out of the bag of browsers.

IE screenshot: I could not read the text for the news. It isn't the colors, it's the coding.

Mozilla: Same problem, but with the table layout.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pokevalley.com%2Fjpgarden%2Flayout02.php

DragonTrainer
February 11th, 2004, 02:30 PM
LOl, I'm gonna install firefox real soon

Haruka
February 11th, 2004, 02:46 PM
AH HA! It shouldn't do that since I wrote it in Marcomedia Dreamweaver with XHTML compliment on. :-/

I saw the problem... all the color codes didn't have a # before it... :-/

HightopNinja
February 11th, 2004, 08:49 PM
My frankenstein hybrid of a PC.

Atx-factor motherboard.
Old e-machines case.
DvD-Rom.
Cd-r/w.
Athlon 2500+ chip.(About 2.5Gigahertz processor).
Radeon video card(my friend got it for me, I'm not sure of the specs).
Audigy sound card.
External 100 zip.
256mb of ram(upgrading this song).
built on ethernet port.
6 total usb ports.
60 gig hd.
30 gig hd.
Can't remember everything..but meh.

Hiroshi Sotomura
February 11th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Whoa! There's your answer!
Internet Explorer seems to not care. It's got a lax render. So download Firefox, and TRY IT!

Haruka
February 12th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Yes, well, only the Torchic Layout is Mozilla compliment, not the mudkip one...

Hiroshi Sotomura
February 12th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Don't you mean compliant? By site looks right on every computer, except for spacing errors due to silly CSS.

Haruka
February 13th, 2004, 08:41 AM
>_<... maybe I should start using external CSS instead of having it on the page.