PDA

View Full Version : If pokemon were real would they...

Renagadez
August 11th, 2005, 10:05 AM
If they were real,wouldnt it be a little dumb that they repeated their names to talk or cry? I thinks its unrealistic whaddya think is better? If they were to make there own unique crys *like in the games* or just repeat names that were given to them....*geo geo geodude*

Trikip
August 11th, 2005, 10:08 AM
I find it cute when they say their names.

Renagadez
August 11th, 2005, 10:19 AM
I find it cute when they say their names.

I see what you mean,like Pikachu,thats cute

Lord Jacek
August 11th, 2005, 10:31 AM
I think that it would be better if they had the cries because if they said the name over and over the would get annoying.

Smarties-chan
August 11th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Yeah I would also prefer the pokemon cry thingamabob.

Signomi
August 11th, 2005, 10:53 AM
I don't really care ^^; But I kind of find it a little..eh, when they say their names o_o

Fiver
August 11th, 2005, 03:00 PM
I'd think they should say their names as the cries would just be annoying if repeated over and over and boring to say the least, and why would the pokemon even want to make the cries when they can say their name.

kohei
August 11th, 2005, 08:13 PM
I guess if they where real, they should have the cries from the game. But better yet, they should squeak or growl like real animals (Pikachu squeaking :3)

GodofPH
August 11th, 2005, 08:17 PM
^ Agreed Kohei. Pokemon should speak in squeeks, grunts, roars, hisses, or whatever.

Cyndaquil
August 11th, 2005, 08:25 PM
They're like animals in my eyes, and hav you ever seen a monkey saying "mon-mon-monkeeey"? Or a horse sayin "hor-hoooorse"?
No, then the Pokmon's shouldn't, IMO.
They should cry, growl, whatever, but not repeating their name over and over again... >_<''

the skate board kid
August 11th, 2005, 08:37 PM
There cries. I would be used to that

~TSBK~

Datriot
August 12th, 2005, 05:54 AM
I like it when they say their names, I was dispointed because I thought colosseum would have them saying their names not the crys.

Cybex Mewtwo
August 12th, 2005, 06:04 AM
Hearing their names is like listening to a broken record...let em sound like animal calls from the game.

Kurono
August 12th, 2005, 06:49 AM
Pokemon are basically animals...just horribly mutated..and animals can't exactly talk..human anyway..XD
So it would make sense if they had different cries instead of saying their names...

And if that be the case...then I'll just show how it would be if I was a pokemon...
*CharMz! CharMz! Char, Char!*

X3

Charizard_Fire_God
August 12th, 2005, 08:46 AM
It's not all that bad ya know. Tch, for example Charizards repeat their name too, but their thick voice still makes more of a sound rather than bein' just an an annoyin' name repetition. ^^;;

Fls4eva
August 13th, 2005, 05:47 AM
I tink they will Poke`talk... which iz gonna be soooo kawaii...

Zangoose
August 15th, 2005, 04:21 AM
I reckon they should do the cries instead of saying their name over and over again, because it's just more realistic.

Satrijou
August 15th, 2005, 11:49 AM
I think it would be better if they said their own names. In case the trainer forgets XD

Timbjerr
August 15th, 2005, 06:23 PM
The cries from the games are much better and more bearable...

Iveechan
August 15th, 2005, 07:35 PM
The cries from the games. But not stadium-style, like how Granbull and Entei are barely audible in Stadium whereas in the games they have a heavy, rumbling growl.

Bliksem
August 15th, 2005, 09:07 PM
A nice series of grunts, groans, and roars will do it for me. I have a hard enough time understanding what my dog does. If he went "Rosco, Ros Ros Co Coros!" I'd be doing this : o_O;

Wolf_Goddess
August 16th, 2005, 06:58 AM
The cried like in the games. I mean, if a mysterious legendary pokemon just goes around saying, "Ar, Articuno!" is anything BUT mysterious. I mean, in the game it has an eerie sound, one that seems more fitting. Of course, in real life the sound would sound less...digital.

Forci Stikane
August 16th, 2005, 10:29 AM
But in the show & movies the legendaries DON'T really say their names...For example, Articuno doesn't say its name over and over again, but actually makes a noise you'd expect from a bird (somewhat like a "caw"). It's the same with ALL of them (except Mewtwo, of course, who we never heard "speak", per se...), and that's the way that I'd prefer it--they usually use their names, but DON'T HAVE TO.

Missie
August 18th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Yea I much rather they grunt/sqeak/pur/hiss ect if they where real. It just seems better. It would drive you insane if you heard Poli...poli...politoed toed toed.. during the night. @_x No sleep with that. Atleast the brid calls would be more musical.

Jordan
August 20th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Probaly Pokemon cry because it's more realistic. You don't see real live kitties say " Kit Kitty ".

Baby Gurl
August 20th, 2005, 09:17 AM
I ratha have them repeat they names like the show cuz i didnt like the way them crys sounded

Chairman Kaga
August 20th, 2005, 09:30 AM
It all depends on whether you classify them more as animals or sentient beings. If you consider them more of the former, the cries from the game are more appropriate because as has been demonstrated in this topic, they speak rather than make noises. If you consider them the latter, speaking their own name is more correct because that is a trait that only humans have (and as can be demonstrated by pokemon such as Meowth, Gastly, Slowking, and a few telepathic legendaries for their ability to gain human speech), and the words that they speak are an actual language and not mindless noises like animals produce. For instance, in Pikachu's tongue, it has been confirmed that "Pi Pi Pi" means Togepi, and "Pi-Pikachu" means Team Rocket.

Besides, I've never seen pokemon as animals, but as a sixth kingdom along with florae, faunae, fungi, protista, and monera.

fearow
August 21st, 2005, 02:13 AM
It's not all that bad ya know. Tch, for example Charizards repeat their name too, but their thick voice still makes more of a sound rather than bein' just an an annoyin' name repetition. ^^;;But in the show & movies the legendaries DON'T really say their names...For example, Articuno doesn't say its name over and over again, but actually makes a noise you'd expect from a bird (somewhat like a "caw"). It's the same with ALL of them (except Mewtwo, of course, who we never heard "speak", per se...), and that's the way that I'd prefer it--they usually use their names, but DON'T HAVE TO. I agree with these two. I find that the more annoying, obvious cases of Pokemon repeating their name is when it's been dubbed. A lot of the Japanese pokemon say their names in a more animal-like manner. For example: Charizard (notice how it actually only roars "Zard" from Lizardon) and Onix (Iwaaaku!). And some of the pokemon only make animal cries (Psyduck originally only quacked).

It helps that the Japanese language lends itself to being more onomatopoeic, so even if the pokemon is just repeating its name, it's like the sound effects being read out, which can be amusing. For example, when Pikachu goes "Pika-pika" to accompany the lightning it makes. Or when the name of the pokemon encorporates the animal sound, it's like a mouse going "Squeeeak!" (Chuu!) or a cat going "Meow" (Nya-su). I suppose dogs actually saying "Woof woof bark bark" could be funny or lame, depending on your humour...

Also, some of the pokemon names lend themselves to puns. I think this has been exploited for jokes in the anime, such as when Bulbasaur/Fushigidane says "da ne, da ne?", in Japanese it's saying "isn't it so? isn't it so?". The more famous example would be the omnipresent Wobbuffet, or Soonansu. "Soooo nan'su!" = "It is so!".

It's a pity these things don't translate so well...

EDIT: Pikachu is actually pretty eloquent for only repeating its name. "Pi-pika chu!" corrosponds to "Roketto-Dan", and "Pikapi" is "Satoshi" (Ash). I really tear up in the 1st pokemon movie when Pikachu goes over when Satoshi has turned to stone, and cries "Pikapi? Pikapi?". You can also kind of work out what it's trying to say a lot of the times in the anime as well. Ikue Ootani is a skilled voice actress...

Greta
August 22nd, 2005, 12:58 AM
I also would liek them to repeat their names, i think its cute when they do that and i cant imagine them talking in a different way..

Cybertank
September 5th, 2005, 11:00 AM
I see what you mean,like Pikachu,thats cute

How about Chimicho? Now thats cute.

AJUST
September 5th, 2005, 11:41 AM
I thinks it's like this.

In real life when an animal makes a certain noize, its sometimes named after that specific noise. Therefore, since Pokemon is marketed for kids, they make 'em say they names.

SonicThrust
September 13th, 2005, 02:29 PM
I like it better when they say their names because the cries kind of annoy me and if they say their names you would not for get them.

Eig
September 14th, 2005, 04:53 AM
I think that they should say/repeat their names AND have the cries AND hissing/growling/roaring.

Ziggy
September 14th, 2005, 11:01 AM
they only make that annoying noise because in the original the gameboy couldn't handle the names and god just think about what it would be like if pokemon were real it would be a dream come true!!! :D

halfling2
September 14th, 2005, 12:11 PM
and hav you ever seen a monkey saying "mon-mon-monkeeey"? Or a horse sayin "hor-hoooorse"?

Actually I have! ROFL. But really, some of the cries are awesome, especially Salamence and Metagross. And a Pokemon sayin their name and then somone asking somone what it is (like Ash) is stupid.