PDA

View Full Version : Pokeyman =/

Chairman Kaga
September 5th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Believe it or not, there are still ber-ignorant people who pronounce pokemon that way...do you still encounter these sort of people, and if so, does it enrage you?

Timbjerr
September 5th, 2005, 02:47 PM
It bothers me enough to make me want to correct them, but not enough to actually do it...roughly a 7 on that scale...

Cherrim
September 5th, 2005, 02:51 PM
8D I say it that way sometimes when I'm making fun of myself.

Um, yeah. If they're doing it on purpose just to bug me, I get annoyed, but I don't care really. So in that case, maybe a 5. If they're just ignorant and they honestly don't know, I'll correct the pronunciation and it'll only be a 2 or 3.

Spectrum
September 5th, 2005, 02:51 PM
like yay i kaut graudan wit a pokaybll!!!!!!!!

(Translation: Couldn't care less. :D Because I know some people won't get it.)

Natsuki
September 5th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Yes, nearly all of my friends pronounce it as "Pokeyman", "Poh-kuh-mon", or "Pokeymon". X3 And because they're my friends, I don't even bother correcting them, though it does slightly annoy me. XD Though the one I hate most...is the one most adults I know use: "Pokeymans". <_________< I hate that one with a passion. XD So I rated myself as a 7 on the Rage-O-Meter. =P

*sigh* I have so say...it really is a depressing and almost degrading sight to see an adult mispronounce a simple noun. *shakes his disapprovingly* XD

~Kelsey

oni flygon
September 5th, 2005, 03:25 PM
I don't really care... maybe I'd be annoyed but just a bit... otherwise, I just chuckle at it.

Alex_
September 5th, 2005, 03:38 PM
I voted 2,I don't really mind it.

Sylphiel
September 5th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Even though it's a rare occasion that I actually find someone who says the word in any way...I'd say any mispronunciation would rate as a "1" for me. I just don't care, really. ^_^;;

Neko64
September 5th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Typholzion
Yes, nearly all of my friends pronounce it as "Pokeyman", "Poh-kuh-mon", or "Pokeymon". X3 And because they're my friends, I don't even bother correcting them, though it does slightly annoy me. XD Though the one I hate most...is the one most adults I know use: "Pokeymans". <_________< I hate that one with a passion. XD So I rated myself as a 7 on the Rage-O-Meter. =P

o___O;; Isn't it supposed to be pronouced 'Pokeymon'?

Or was it Poke' mon >___> lol

lolz I cought graudun wit a pokebale :P:P

Agent9
September 5th, 2005, 04:07 PM
It bothers me..Thats why I tear them limb from limb! Just kidding. Well I feel insulted when people say that.

devilicious
September 5th, 2005, 04:16 PM
rofl mew2 ish teh 00b3rzorz gt it wut mestr bal

Agent9
September 5th, 2005, 04:19 PM
*stares in confusion* what are you saying Deviruchi? Well I rated myself a 10.

Natsuki
September 5th, 2005, 04:19 PM
o___O;; Isn't it supposed to be pronouced 'Pokeymon'?

Or was it Poke' mon >___> lol

lolz I cought graudun wit a pokebale :P:P

I believe the correct pronunciation for it is "Poh-kay-mahn" or something of the sort. XD Though for me, they "Pokeymon" thing is perhaps the least annoying one of all of them. If not, it just doesn't bother me at all really. XD It's mainly the "Pokeymans" one that I loathe. <_______< *shudders* XD

~Kelsey

Chairman Kaga
September 5th, 2005, 04:29 PM
"pokeymans" is especially grating, especially when said in a thick southern accent...no offense to southerners, I just hear it a lot like that around here x_x;

I think that the main problem is that people have no idea what the function of an accent mark is... means e to 90% of people =/

Sammi
September 5th, 2005, 04:34 PM
I'm kinda irritated by horrible mis-pronunciations of it... however, if they don't put the accent on the , I don't care about it. It's just a minor thing ^^;

Neko64
September 5th, 2005, 05:22 PM
*feels bad* lol I pronounce it Pokemon just because its easier for me (dang speech problems >.>) But I can still call it Poke-kay-mohn but its just easier to call it Pokemon. I'm lazyyyyy XD X3

Though sometimes, I call it Poke-kay-mohn whenever I feel like it XP lmao

jynx
September 5th, 2005, 10:53 PM
I knew some1 that pronounce it as "Poke-man" =o=||||

Minako
September 5th, 2005, 11:54 PM
It bothers me when people mispronounce it, but I'm not really -enraged- by it. =P

My mom usually pronounces it "Poh-kee-mon", but I don't really expect any more from a parent... XD My dad is the kind that goes "Poh-kee-manz". +cough+

Hiroshi Sotomura
September 6th, 2005, 12:30 AM
When I say Pokmon, it's always the same way the Japanese say it: Po-ke-mo-n. But when I refer to it in Japanese, it's always Po-ke-tto-mo-n-su-taa. So I really don't give. People who mispronounce it are silly, stupid...

Charizard_Fire_God
September 6th, 2005, 01:12 AM
Honestly? Tch, I HATE it when they do that! My grandma used ta do it too, tch, good thing she's dead now. XD

kohei
September 6th, 2005, 03:53 AM
I'm annoyed by it, but I've only witnessed it once on Simpsons (by Bill Cosby). Yet I was annoyed on the rating of 10.

I don't get how people can mispronounce Pokemon... it's straight forward po-kee-mon...

serpenter
September 6th, 2005, 09:08 AM
it gets on my nerves allot,

The Fallen
September 6th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Whenever I hear someone talkin about it, rarely, they say pokeyman. I guess they don't know that little accent mark is above it, or just aren't that smart XD

Crystal Clair
September 6th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Ugh, it's a big annoyance to me! Everytime someone says it, I:
Correct them
Start a lecture on what it stands for
Tell them to watch out!
XD I am pretty crazy about my Pogeys!

Renagadez
September 6th, 2005, 09:30 AM
yeah what bobby said,but it doesnt bother me much,I think everyone pronounces it right where I live

Lord Kraith
September 6th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Its is getting on my nerves

eX.A.K.R.
September 6th, 2005, 11:22 AM
I'm very sensitive to people who mis-pronounce the character "". The correct pronouncation should be pronounced "ay". Towards that end, I get frustrated whenever someone pronounces any word with the character "" as if it was spelled with the character "e", and even more so if they subsitute "" with "e" in writing. There's a huge difference between "" and "e" in the pronouncation department. "e" could sound like a lot of different things depending on a word, while "" is always pronounced as "ay", and never anything else, in the English language. You don't pronounce "caf" as "care-fee", right? If "Pokmon" is spelled with the letter "", then it should be pronounced with respects to the letter "", and hence "Pok-KAY-mon", not "Pok-KEY-mon". Yet, sometimes, I hear it being pronounced as "Pok-KEY-mon", and I even see it spelled with "e", not "", which frustrates me to no end. As I said, they are not the same character, and never will be.

Fury of Ninetales
September 6th, 2005, 04:40 PM
i know i shouldn't get mad when people pronounce pokemon wrong, but i do. my mom says pokemonz when she refers to pokemon. :(. from where i come from, i think people say pokemon wrong because the host of Kids WB always calles it pokee-mon. *sues Kids WB host*. but whenever one of my friends says it wrong, i try to ignore it just so they won't know that i like pokemon and treat me different.

marillmonster2000
September 6th, 2005, 04:46 PM
I Don't Mind It :P I Just Don't Like

1.Poker Man
2.Poke(as in "i poked you with a stick!") Man
3.Pahkeemains.

XD

Chiru
September 6th, 2005, 04:49 PM
= pronounced "ay".

It kind of annoys me if they're saying it that way on purpose, but if they really don't know then I don't care. I sometimes try to say it like "Pokmon", but for some reason it's just too much of a strain for my lazy body so I just say "Poke-a-mon".

Oh, and the most annoying pronunciation is "Polkamon". I've seen a few people say it like that, seriously. That's the only one that REALLY grates on my nerves x.x

Cybex Mewtwo
September 7th, 2005, 05:04 AM
Heh...the first person to vote 0.......it doesn't bug me at all.

Random Plushie
September 9th, 2005, 01:21 AM
I just had a flashback of that commercial advertising the reappearence of Pokemon on Cartoon Network. x.x

That dang announcer.. "It's brand new episodes of Poh-kee-mahn!"

Overall, any form of the word mispronounced generally ticks me off.. I said 8. =3

Eon-Rider
September 9th, 2005, 01:32 AM
I don't hear the word "Pokemon" pronounced much anyway si I don't mind...

Datriot
September 13th, 2005, 11:20 AM
I don't get angry at all, if I can't understand it then I say that calmly.