View Full Version : Shining or Shiny?

Chairman Kaga
September 8th, 2005, 11:59 AM
This is probably a stupid question, but I thought I'd ask anyway. When you're referring to such pokemon, do you use the phrase "shining" or "shiny"?

Even though it's not the popular choice, I tend to use shining as it's the official version that nintendo used to describe them with when shining pokemon were a new element to the game and to the TCG. However, "shiny" tends to be the almost-unanimous choice among fans today (or at least I think...) For either choice, maybe explain your reasoning behind it? Am I right, or are there still an even number of people who use each version?

Alter Ego
September 8th, 2005, 12:07 PM
I use the term 'Shiny' out of the simple reason that it's more convenient. Eg. I can say "I found a Shiny" rather than "I found a shining pokmon." But I haven't thought about it that much to be honest. Shiny just seems to come of naturally...

September 8th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Shiny..it sounds better and makes more sense..XD

September 8th, 2005, 12:18 PM
I use the word "shiny"...it's the first word I saw used to describe those pokemon, and the one I see the most. So it's stuck with me now. :P

September 8th, 2005, 1:49 PM
"Shiny" I guess. It sound better. :3

The Fallen
September 8th, 2005, 2:21 PM
I believe I use shiny more often. I just sounds better to me.

September 8th, 2005, 2:42 PM
I think people only use shining when talking about the TCG. So i will say Shiny.

September 8th, 2005, 2:52 PM
shining sounds somewhat better to me,but I mostly use shiny.

Random Plushie
September 9th, 2005, 1:11 AM
I use shiny, but that's mostly because that's the only way I've ever seen anyone refer to it. XD

September 9th, 2005, 1:19 AM
Shiny is the only term I've heard in reffering to the games, so shiny it is. I couldn't switch anyway, since it's stuck. =P But I do like the word "shining" more.

September 9th, 2005, 1:30 AM
Shiny. It is a shorter word. It also sounds better.

September 9th, 2005, 2:49 PM
I also use the term "shiny". I don't really know why, but I guess it's because when I'd see a thread saying "Omfg I caught a shining Pokemon!!" or whatever, I always found the usage of the word "shining" to sound...somewhat grammatically incorrect. XD So being the literate and advanced/AP english student that I am...I've always stuck to "shiny Pokemon". XD

September 9th, 2005, 3:08 PM
I say Shining Pokmon.

Nintendo said it was Shining, so it is Shining. Duh?

September 10th, 2005, 8:04 AM
I normally say shiny.

But if the person that started the topic with Shining, I would use shining.

September 10th, 2005, 10:31 AM
I say Shiny, tch, 'cuz it just sounds more gramatically correct in sentences. XP

September 10th, 2005, 11:03 AM
I always use the term "shiny," thoiught I prefer "shining" over it. O.o I don't know, I find the word shining elegant. XD

September 11th, 2005, 2:22 AM
Shiny of course, but when it comes to cards it's Shining.

September 11th, 2005, 3:17 AM
Since it was called "alternative colour" in a Japanese guide book I bought, I've always stuck with it, even when it's called a shiny or shining in English...

However, when on English boards like here, I refere to them as a "shiny".

Needs a Deoxys
September 11th, 2005, 5:28 AM
I use shiny. It sounds cooler and it's more today.

Involuntary Twitch
September 11th, 2005, 5:39 AM
Actually, the term Nintendo uses is "Alternate color." You can see, it's under the word entry things in the game.

But I say "Shiny." All my friends do, too.

September 13th, 2005, 4:28 AM
It's "Shiny" to me ^^ always has been and always will be.

September 16th, 2005, 1:57 PM
Always Shiny. I dunno... That's the only way I've heard it up until now.

September 17th, 2005, 9:15 AM
Shining all the way. It's sounds alot better.