PDA

View Full Version : Pokémon & Digimon- which came first?

tymime
September 29th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Lots of Digimon fans (and Pokémon-haters) I've talked to say Digimon came first in Japan. I'm pretty durned sure Pokémon is the original and Digimon is the rip-off, but I need definite dates. :donut:
I wanna know for sure!

Ryoutarou
September 29th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Digimon Tamagochi > 1995
Pokemon Video Game > 1996

Yeah, Digimon came first.

Light_Azumarill
September 29th, 2005, 12:54 PM
I don't consider either of them a "rip-off" of the other, simply because they're totally different. Sure Digimon can "evolve" into a higher form with more power like Pokemon, but that's about all they have in common. And a main hero (in 1st season Digimon) that has fluffy spiky hair. That's it. Digimon come from a parallel world, Pokemon from the same world. Pokemon stay evolved, Digimon don't (though it may take them a while to go back like in Tamers). They're plenty different. They just look the same to the untrained eye.

Cooltrainer Lance
September 29th, 2005, 02:36 PM
I'm pretty sure that digimon came out first. I <3 both equally. I don't think either is a rip off of the other. Like Light Azumarill stated they have many differences and few similarities.

Dragonfree
September 29th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Digimon.com's copyright notice says 1997-2005.
Pokémon.com's copyright notice says 1995-2005.

That's where I looked to see it, but then I've also heard that Tamagotchi existed before that and were basically the predecessors of Digimon. Were they really as similar to Pokémon, though?

Well, either way, I don't know a lot about Digimon. I've just done some research on the monsters, and found that aside from a small group of Digimon which are basically the most Pokémon-like ones, I prefer the Pokémon monster designs by far. :/ Even in the case of comparisons like Agumon and Charmander, I prefer Charmander because I like the simplistic style.

viridian doubletongue
October 1st, 2005, 09:52 AM
You can't compare the two. It's like saying that pokemon is like Yu-Gi-Oh when Yu-Gi-Oh was just a crap anime about a crap card game with crap monsters. It's just the mon in the name where people try & find a similarity. & originaly pokemon was pocket monsters which sounds nothing like digimon.

Jarman
October 1st, 2005, 04:40 PM
Digimon was a type of Tamagochi before the Pokemon games were first made, but they didn't make Digimon into normal games, a TV show and a TCG until Pokemon became popular.

LishaKara
October 1st, 2005, 06:35 PM
Digimon came first. Let us all get this straight.
Neither is a rip-off of the other. In fact, they are almost polar opposites. I won't go into the details now because Light Azumarill's post explains it quite thoroughly.

Cya'.

John Denver
October 1st, 2005, 06:52 PM
The Digimon brand technically came first...but the Pokemon show and game and what not came before Digimon did...

so that means, Digimon is the incoherant work of Satan

pokejungle
October 1st, 2005, 08:30 PM
Digimon.com's copyright notice says 1997-2005.
Pokémon.com's copyright notice says 1995-2005.

That's where I looked to see it, but then I've also heard that Tamagotchi existed before that and were basically the predecessors of Digimon. Were they really as similar to Pokémon, though?

Well, either way, I don't know a lot about Digimon. I've just done some research on the monsters, and found that aside from a small group of Digimon which are basically the most Pokémon-like ones, I prefer the Pokémon monster designs by far. :/ Even in the case of comparisons like Agumon and Charmander, I prefer Charmander because I like the simplistic style.
That could be refering to the site though =/

Random Plushie
October 2nd, 2005, 12:53 AM
The Digimon brand technically came first...but the Pokemon show and game and what not came before Digimon did...

Yes. Yes it is. You explained it quite thoroughly. XD

Alter Ego
October 2nd, 2005, 01:05 AM

Can't argue with that logic. ^^

BROOKE_&_LUGIA
October 2nd, 2005, 06:22 PM
I heard Digimon was around as early as 1991! So, I think Digimon came first.

tymime
October 4th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Digimon was a type of Tamagochi before the Pokemon games were first made, but they didn't make Digimon into normal games, a TV show and a TCG until Pokemon became popular.
Thank you, that explains a lot. So it did come first as a Tamagotchi off-shoot, but didn't become Pokémon wannabes until Pokémon came out... Yay! I was right! It is a rip-off! *personal opinion* :paranoid:
What baffles me is how Duel Monsters got to be popular when it's almost exactly the same as Yu-Gi-Oh...

Natsuki
October 4th, 2005, 01:48 PM
I looked on this one website that said Bandai created the tamagotchi, "Digital Monster" on June 26th, 1997. o.o; I don't know if you guys are talking about the anime or just the overall Digiwhatsit stuff or whatever...XD But I always thought Pokemon came first. O.< At least, that's what I've always heard. X3 And that Digimon was not necessarily a "rip-off", but just a branch off of Pokemon, so to speak. <.< *never liked Digimon very much* XD

~Kelsey

jynx
October 5th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Digimon toys came first,

but Pokemon anime came first than Digimon anime.

Anyway, no use of comparing them. I think its coincidence.

Eon-Rider
October 5th, 2005, 10:47 AM
It's just the mon in the name where people try & find a similarity. & originaly pokemon was pocket monsters which sounds nothing like digimon.
How about Digimon as Digital Monsters?

viridian doubletongue
October 5th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Is it copyright anywhere as digital monsters? or is that just what they say in the theme tune.

Datriot
October 5th, 2005, 10:58 AM
I don't consider either of them a "rip-off" of the other, simply because they're totally different. Sure Digimon can "evolve" into a higher form with more power like Pokemon, but that's about all they have in common. And a main hero (in 1st season Digimon) that has fluffy spiky hair. That's it. Digimon come from a parallel world, Pokemon from the same world. Pokemon stay evolved, Digimon don't (though it may take them a while to go back like in Tamers). They're plenty different. They just look the same to the untrained eye.

yeah, I completely agree with you.
Besides they're both just as good as the other.

O
October 8th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Neither are a rip-off ****nit. Digimon came first, technically, Pokémon's show came first. And Duel Masters is made to parody Yu-Gi-Oh. The Producer admits it.

charizard_maa
October 8th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Digimon came first but pokemon isn't a rip off of digimon.

They are complete different stories in game and anime. One is saving the world while the other is a kid and friends following their dreams. Nothing in common and Light Azumarill said most of it.

Anyways look at what more popular rigth now. I may not know much but from my side of the fence, it sure looks like pokemon is more alive as of anime and game (also TCG).

LIke tymine said: Just some thing started by pokemon haters and ignorant Digimon fans. (Too say this right now, I am also a Digimon fan too but a pokemon one first.)

Blaze
October 8th, 2005, 09:29 PM
I think there is a clear difference between the two....

Pokemon: Creatures never look ugly and are always made to have some sort of cuteness appeal

Digimon: More "hardcore" lookish, but always ends the series in which "everyone in the world works together"

Personally in the end, I think Pokemon is more original when it comes to the show, I mean come on at least Ash does stuff with a small group of people not like the whole work ;P

Geometric-sama
October 8th, 2005, 09:48 PM
*sigh* http://digimon.ryux.net/opinion/pokecopy.htm

When it comes to the show, what could be more unoriginal than Pokémon? I love it dearly, but every episode is the same.

And Duel Monsters = Yu-Gi-Oh!

Blaze
October 8th, 2005, 09:53 PM
*sigh* http://digimon.ryux.net/opinion/pokecopy.htm

When it comes to the show, what could be more unoriginal than Pokémon? I love it dearly, but every episode is the same.

And Duel Monsters = Yu-Gi-Oh!

True JA so true ;P

However, maybe one day those Pokemon Company exec's will get the idea that the setup is somewhat bland and they need to redo it ;D

But yes there are so many copy of things, look at Vanilla Coke than the infamous move of Pepsi Vanilla XD

People were talking about that for months ;D

tymime
December 5th, 2005, 01:07 PM
And Duel Masters is made to parody Yu-Gi-Oh. The Producer admits it.
Hooray! I'm so relieved!

Chairman Kaga
December 5th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Please, don't revive threads that have been dead for over a month. =/

*closed*