PDA

View Full Version : Do gym Leaders Get payed?

jirachi_pt
March 5th, 2004, 04:15 AM
Do u think gym leaders get payed, like by the Pokemon League? If so, how much? They probably do, at around $35000-40000 a year.

Scyther5
March 5th, 2004, 05:47 AM
They probebly do (not sure who pays them) and i would guess 50000-60000 XD

dqle
March 5th, 2004, 09:19 AM
I dunno... you know Misty? She never got what she wanted EVER even if she and her other three sisters were the gym leaders of Cerulean City. And what about Brock? He has 10 other brothers and sisters. If he were paid, wouldn't he have hired a baby sitter or something???

Latios Master
March 5th, 2004, 03:46 PM
I don't think they get payed. I think they do it just for fun.

Ryoutarou
March 6th, 2004, 11:07 AM
So you think they just trian day in day out and battle hundreds of trainers lose a ton of time's just for fun?

Phoenix Boy
March 6th, 2004, 11:54 AM
I think they get payed but not much but there potions and stuff get given to then i think

but they need money for: The gym keeping tidy, there own homes and there pokemons stuff

Misty~ They probaly do get paid but not enough to buy stuff for them selfs
They need money to keep the water clean and healthy, pokemon food , badges ect

Brock~ Mabye he enjoys it & his brothers & sisters probaly hate babysitters & where would brock go???

Pokemaster10000
March 6th, 2004, 12:29 PM
I'm sure gym leaders get paid but they just don't show it. Possibly very cheaply though around 5,000 a year or somethin.

Greed
March 6th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Maybe they get payed little? Who knows, if they didn't get all they wanted, perhaps cus they get money, but they use most of it to pay bills, etc.

*dies*

Teara
March 6th, 2004, 02:15 PM
*walkz to Power Houze gym, findz manager*
Me: Zo, do you get paid?
Manager: of courze.
...well, there'z your anzwer! ^_-

dqle
March 6th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Hmm, maybe you guys are right...
Must be expensive to keep a gym running, considering some have Pokmon areas/parks.

P.S. Brock always wanted to become the best Pokmon breeder in the world, so he'd have to travel everywhere!

Flaming Torchic
March 6th, 2004, 08:56 PM
So you think they just trian day in day out and battle hundreds of trainers lose a ton of time's just for fun?

One word...Yes

They are pokemon trainers, to them it is a privelige to be able to battle many trainers every day, it is excercise (sp?) for their pokemon and is also really fun. Remember, this is the pokemon world, and everyone (almost) loves battling with their pokemon.

Cherrim
March 6th, 2004, 09:23 PM
I consider the job of a Gym Leader to be a full-fledged job. There's really no reason they shouldn't be paid. I imagine the badges and the prize money would be provided by, well, likely the Pokemon League. But I also think they would give the gym leaders a yearly salary for living expenses and for buying supplies such as Pokeballs, potions, etc. It couldn't be voluntary work unless the Leaders all held seperate jobs as well, and as we've seen from the games and the anime, being a gym leader is a full time job.

As for how much they would get paid... I'm absolutely no expert on that stuff, so I would have no idea. ^_^; But you would think that, if following the games for example, that Brock would be paid less that Giovanni because of the difference in "toughness" or Pokemon levels, etc.

shep
March 6th, 2004, 11:10 PM
considering its just a game/anime...I dont think they do

dqle
March 7th, 2004, 09:14 AM
I dunno...
Pikachu was clobbered by Norman's Vigaroth, but it's not at a high level.
If Pikachu had used Thunder... the gym would probably be a massive crater!
I'd think that being a gym leader is a privilege. I wonder what perks the job has...

Pokemaster10000
March 7th, 2004, 09:26 AM
I dunno...
Pikachu was clobbered by Norman's Vigaroth, but it's not at a high level.
If Pikachu had used Thunder... the gym would probably be a massive crater!
I'd think that being a gym leader is a privilege. I wonder what perks the job has...

Yeah. Pikachu's Thunder attack is crazy. It nearly blew up Roxanne's gym.
If gym leaders don't get paid, how would they get money? And i really doubt that everything they get is for free.

dqle
March 8th, 2004, 07:05 AM
FYI: Pikachu's Thunder can blow up a small mountain as shown on the episode where Peeko was kidnapped!

I guess the Pokmon League does pay them, but just enough to run the gym.

Kairi
March 8th, 2004, 12:09 PM
You know how when you beat a trainer you get money? That's half of the money that they were carrying. And how when you lose you lose half? Well, it goes to them. So perhaps they do get paid, but their real income would be from defeating trainers. I'm sure the Pokmon League supplies the badges since they must be official, but the trainers probably have to pay for anything else like Pokballs etc. It's their responsibility to keep their Pokmon in top shape, not the League's. They could just get someone else if that were the case.

dqle
March 9th, 2004, 06:49 AM
But if that's the case, what happens when the gym leader is on a losing streak, then how could that person ever get enough money to get the supplies they need to get a comeback? And how do you know that the gym leaders get the money? I also seriously doubt that when you defeat a gym leader, that the money you earn from them is all they have doubled! That's almost like minimum wage! It's not enough to get any supplies, not for long anyway!

DragonTrainer
March 9th, 2004, 07:38 AM
I never gave this so much thought.But, as I imagine it, they are provided with the gym and everything, and also some money by the Pokemon League, but only enough for the basic things, like bills, keeping the gym in good shape, keeping their pokemon in good shape, and food.They would have to make more money like other trainers do, by battling, and earning money from your winnings, like Kairi mentioned earlier.

~DragonTrainer

Arcanine
March 9th, 2004, 07:50 AM
I think they do, since they are the Gym Leader they have to buy food and stuff like that and since they can't work any where they have to get money. And they also get to beat up on little kids and take there money too. XD

~Arcanine

dqle
March 9th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Of course they get some money for their position as a gym leader. I know of no legal job that requires you to work for nothin' (except charity or volunteering). Of course, they probably get extra if they can beat up other trainers, but not much.

Kairi
March 9th, 2004, 01:15 PM
But if that's the case, what happens when the gym leader is on a losing streak, then how could that person ever get enough money to get the supplies they need to get a comeback? And how do you know that the gym leaders get the money? I also seriously doubt that when you defeat a gym leader, that the money you earn from them is all they have doubled! That's almost like minimum wage! It's not enough to get any supplies, not for long anyway!
In RBY all the Gym Leaders use pretty cheap stuff, plus they made get a discount. 4,000+ is more than enough for essentials, especially since most have pretty sad Pokmon. Besides trainer carry quite a bit of money on them, and one win could be a massive savings. They may even deposit it, so the half you get is half of what they are carrying, but they may have more at home.

dqle
March 10th, 2004, 06:54 AM
Hmm, never thought about a discount...
Besides, I dunno about bad gym leaders, at least in the show. In the game, they are the saddest bunch of people. Geez, I mean, Pikachu gets beat up by a Vigaroth and all it used was Scratch! (and whatever that last move is called)

Too bad Ash didn't tell Pikachu to use Thunder, but then again, I sorta understand. It's Thunder could probalby wipe out the gym itself!

Ice Master
March 10th, 2004, 08:10 PM
They Get Paid 2 Dollars A Month XD

dqle
March 11th, 2004, 06:39 AM
OK, don't do that again. It's quite pointless (and so's this message)

Ice Lugia
March 15th, 2004, 01:54 PM
You'll notice that when you lose a trainer battle, you lose half of your money. I assume that the gym leaders recieve half of their opponent's money after a win. They may lose and have to give away cash, but since they no doubt have some saved up, it does generate an income. An alternative would be reciving a certain amount from the Pokemon League, though where they'd get the money is beyond me. Ticket sales only go so far.

Chairman Kaga
March 15th, 2004, 02:25 PM
I'd say that in the pokemon world, the pokemon league is the most powerful source of income anywhere...everyone seems obsessed with pokemon...pokemon's popularity hugely overshadows that of any other major sport. The pokemon league, I figure, has a hand in all aspects of life and probably has a pokemon-related product for anything. Gym Leaders probably make a salary proportional to how many trainers they defeat a month, and also they have the right to take half of a losing trainer's money. It seems to be a very lucrative profession, but only the top pokemon trainers in their respective elemental fields could ever hope to attain gym leader status. Pokemon masters have a reputation to defend, after all. They need the best in the business to bring honor to the pokemon league.

Pogiforce-14
March 15th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Here is the way I see it:

Pokemon gyms are appointed by the Pokemon League. I still recall that one episode where the villagers wre afraid of pokemon trainers because the two local gyms were fighting to be recognized as official.

Also, Like any member of an organization, I believe that the gym leaders are paid by teh pokemon league with a set salary. otherwise maintaining the gyms would be rather difficult.

my final point, is that in the game, when a trainer loses thay pay up half their money to the winner. THis is a form of income and also an incentive to avoid losing. so gym leaders train up strong because they 1. don't want to be considered a weak gym, and 2. want to get paid that extra commission.

asher_son_of_ash
March 16th, 2004, 05:20 AM
Hmm......I KNOW WHAT IT IS!!

Multiply the amount you give the gym leader with the .... number of days in a year + THE MONEY THE POKEMON LEAGUE gives then subtract that with the fees for healing stuff.

Holy Cow!! >< Only FIVE DOLLARS?

dqle
March 16th, 2004, 07:04 AM
hmm... 5 bucks...
It's a start!

I agree with Pogiforce-14. Those reasons seem logical.
Although I'd have to argue with the take-half-my-money-if-I-lose thing. Gyms with a losing streak wouldn't be able to get back on their feet easily and trainers would have a hard time defeating gym leaders if they have a ton of money and the trainer doesn't.

P.S. Pokmon gym leaders are NOT Pokmon Masters, just an expert in their elemental class.

IceKitten
March 16th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Ash's Pikachu used Thunder against Roxanne's pokemon? He knows theat it's useless, he's still a nub ._.

Anyway Gymleaders might get payed by how well they do in a gym, from 10-100 depending on their skill.

Winona won 80 today!

Kairi
March 16th, 2004, 12:08 PM
hmm... 5 bucks...
It's a start!

I agree with Pogiforce-14. Those reasons seem logical.
Although I'd have to argue with the take-half-my-money-if-I-lose thing. Gyms with a losing streak wouldn't be able to get back on their feet easily and trainers would have a hard time defeating gym leaders if they have a ton of money and the trainer doesn't.

P.S. Pokmon gym leaders are NOT Pokmon Masters, just an expert in their elemental class.
If the gym leader is on such a losing streak they have no money to keep up, then maybe the league would replace them. =\ I'm sure they don't want poor gym leaders holding their badges.

IceKitten
March 16th, 2004, 12:18 PM
They should replace Wallace......Luvdisc wtf ._.

Chairman Kaga
March 16th, 2004, 12:48 PM
I think his Luvdisc knows Attract or something (its only redeeming quality)...and for some reason I have the worst luck when someone uses attract against me. I personally hate Wallace's Luvdisc (even moreso than I hate Luvdiscs in general...they sicken me...)

IceKitten
March 16th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Well his Milotic could have had Attract, he could have had a Lanturn instead of Luvdisc, that would have been interesting...

Kairi
March 16th, 2004, 01:36 PM
They never make the gym leaders too difficult in the games really, I was just giving an example. @_@;