PDA

View Full Version : Pokémon Community Idol

Geometric-sama
March 15th, 2004, 05:45 PM
The thread disappeared during server migration, but luckily I had it saved for a repost:

OK, not sure if this should go in Other Chat or Other Entertainment so I'll put it in OC and mods can move it as necessary. I was planning to start this over a month ago, had everything all written out, and then Anthony and Shadow came along with their Singing Contest". Well, consider the SC a warm-up, here comes the real thing!

We've had Britain's Pop Idol, American Idol, <insert nationality here> Idol, even World Idol. Now it's time to bring Idol to the Internet with the Pokémon Community Idol!

For those of you who don't know what Idol is, it's a singing competition. Thousands of people audition and are judged by a panel of three people, and a number are selected to go through to a final. After that, it's audience vote as each week has a theme for the song and one person is voted out each week.

We'll need three volunteer judges for the competition. Usually it's one nasty judge (like Nasty Simon Cowell, LOL I like him), one nice one and one somewhere in the middle, but it doesn't matter. It's probably best if judges have broadband, though, as you'll need to download every audition file. Apart from that, anyone can audition. (I don't want to judge because I want to enter.)

To audition, you need to record yourself singing a song (any song) without accompaniment. Then you compress it as MP3 or WMA and upload it XD. Please state your PC username and the song you're singing before you start. For first audition, one verse and chorus is all that's needed. You're not allowed to use effects like reverb and echo to make your voice sound better.

Auditions close... say, end of this month (March)? Then the judges need to talk to each other, whittle the auditions down to somewhere between 8 and 12 finalists and announce them (easiest way is for each judge to shortlist as many as he/she wants, then put in whoever appears on more than one shortlist), together with judge's comments on everyone (remember, you can be nasty like Nasty Simon). After that, each week each finalist has to record another song (you can use backing for the finals) that has something to do with the theme for that week. Every week the audience (ie. everyone who's not in the final) votes for the person they like best, and the one with fewest votes is out. In the last week, when there are only two people left, they have to record a set song (I thought maybe the Trainers' Song / Indigo League Theme, full version) as well as one of their own choice, there's no theme on this day.

As for weekly themes for the finals, since this is a Pokémon Community I thought we could do some Pokémon music themes and some other themes. Depending on the number of finalists, it would probably be 6-10 themes needed, so these are some possible themes I thought of.

POKéMON THEMES
2BA Master (a song from the "2BA Master" CD - if you don't have it, they were the songs from Pikachu's Jukebox)
Totally Pokémon (from the Totally Pokémon CD, or Pokémon Karaokemon, or the soundtrack from Pokémon 3 - the CDs even had karaoke tracks and an instrumental disc)
Pokémon: The First Movie (any songs from that soundtrack - most of them aren't Pokémon, so you can get them on other CDs)
Pokémon: The Movie 2000 (these include "Pokémon World" if you don't know any others)

OTHER THEMES
Pop
Rock/Metal/Punk (YAYYY! Have two of these, LOL - maybe one for rock/alt. rock, and one for metal/punk/hardcore - that way Good Charlotte fits both into "rock" and "punk" XD)
Japanese (you have to choose a J-Rock/J-Pop/Anime song and record that)
Rap/Hip-hop/R&B (you can use a rap/rock or rap-metal combo as well, like some of the Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit songs)
Pre-90s music
Australian music XD (hey, there is some good stuff out here! And I don't choose Australian just because I am Australian, but because most of the music you hear comes out of the US and UK. AFAIK Australian music overseas pretty much equals Kylie Minogue (bad), Jet (OK) and (in the UK) Delta Goodrem (good).)

plus you can have a "general/own-choice" theme.

So you can start recording your audition straight away, but we need three volunteer judges. Did that lengthy and somewhat confusing post make sense? XD

Remember, for auditions you can record *anything*. It's only finals that have themes.

bna_li
March 16th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Great, I'll so definitely... try to join!
[EDIT] Maybe not... I'm sick, caught a cold..

HIM
March 18th, 2004, 09:37 PM
I must compete. I will do Good Charlotte. Jedi, You can pick the song for me.

bna_li
March 19th, 2004, 12:16 AM
Wierd, when I try to upload the .mp3 it says INVALID FILE TYPE.
[EDIT] I sang with the windows recorder, works now. I'm still sick, so...

PM2008
March 19th, 2004, 04:44 PM
I volunteer to be a judge I can be the evil or the nice judge(I have many personalities).And I have all of the requirements to be a judge :rambo:

Hiroshi Sotomura
March 19th, 2004, 05:03 PM
I'd probably be doing Delta :-p

Dizzy
March 19th, 2004, 07:53 PM
No This Is Like Operation: Superstar That I Made :((((((((

Hiroshi Sotomura
March 21st, 2004, 03:00 AM
I can be as nasty as Simon sometimes! Can I be a judge?!?

Geometric-sama
March 21st, 2004, 03:14 AM
Yeppy, so we have the nasty and nice judge! Anthony and PM2008. Except, Anthony, that means that you can't compete? Maybe the others can judge you. That's the good thing about having 3 judges.

Hiroshi Sotomura
March 21st, 2004, 03:34 AM
Meh, I've sung before, all I need is a Delta instumental song. XD

Geometric-sama
March 21st, 2004, 03:40 AM
You can use Rifted's technique for removing vocals.

bna_li
March 25th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Is it just me, or am I the ONLY person who posted anything..?

Rifted
March 25th, 2004, 07:10 PM
So far you are. x]

I'm still thinking of what to sing, as well as trying to find time to sing. o.o

bna_li
March 25th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Boo, no ones here, no one...:( I see NO people..

ChoasTheory
March 26th, 2004, 02:23 AM
Ooooooo, cool. I can't compete though =(. My microphone makes my voice sound ummm horrible lol. Its like 30 years old though XD.

bna_li
March 26th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Thats better than sounding five...

Pluslechu
March 27th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Can I post a song I sang when I was just being silly? It's not a real song, just that 'Dashing through the snow on a pair of broken skis' thing...Jus fer fun? =3 Dun have to judje it, I just feel I need somewhere to post it, cuz that's what I made it for XD

-Pluslechu

bna_li
March 27th, 2004, 08:50 PM
If you post it and you pass the audition, you have to sing another song...

Pluslechu
March 27th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Hah! Me pass? lol I was just goofing off so I sound awful, but okay, I'll post it...Who knows?

bna_li
March 27th, 2004, 09:00 PM
OK, try then... post it! To quote him: Fight with honor! You will win! - Jackie Chan

Pluslechu
March 27th, 2004, 09:01 PM
There posted it. *points up to last post*

Be warned, though, it was meant to sound bad...

-Pluslechu

bna_li
March 27th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Be careful... the Vito Winstrate man is tense...

Geometric-sama
March 28th, 2004, 04:22 AM
I'm gonna extend the deadline, for more people to enter. Another... two weeks. Say April 14.

bna_li
March 29th, 2004, 10:34 PM
But no one seems interested....

PichuSecretBase
March 30th, 2004, 03:14 AM
I'll try it later after school.....maybe

perthskies
March 30th, 2004, 05:04 AM
Perhaps your post is just a teensy little overwhelming Jedi_Amara...

I might enter. Tell me, would a male voice for a female song sound weird?

Rifted
March 30th, 2004, 06:32 AM
I might enter. Tell me, would a male voice for a female song sound weird?

Depends on the lyrics. o.o

Anyways, I just haven't found time to record a song because I'm involved in the local musical, so...yeah. I'm hecka interested, just can't find time to record. x]

bna_li
March 30th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Darn... it would if you're singing something like: I love him....:D You know?

Geometric-sama
March 31st, 2004, 07:03 PM
Jackie boy, you can sing whatever you want XD. Heck, I'll probably sing something that's supposed to be a male voice o_O

Rift
April 1st, 2004, 09:32 AM
I'd sing "Hit me baby one more time"!!!! If I had a mic. :P

Geometric-sama
April 1st, 2004, 07:55 PM
*grins* Nice to see you around, Scotty boy. Since you haven't talked to me since we broke up XD.

Here's my audition... sounds terrible, but I can't sing, and I'm really bad at guitar being self-taught... it's supposed to be "Swing, Swing" by the All-American Rejects.

bna_li
April 1st, 2004, 11:12 PM
Somehow I have admiration for people who teach themselves.
[EDIT] Corrupt zip...

Geometric-sama
April 4th, 2004, 05:04 AM
Somehow I have admiration for people who teach themselves.
[EDIT] Corrupt zip...
Oh, sorry. Let's try again.

EDIT: I'm not sure why, but every time I upload a ZIP it corrupts, even if it looks OK when I have the "Manage Attachments" window opens. Can one of the admins look into it?

Kairi
April 5th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Hmm, I'll look into it, that one is corrupted as well. Actually, I couldn't find anything on zips. Can you try uploading it as an MP3?

bna_li
April 5th, 2004, 12:07 PM
No, I have tried it before... have no idea why t says invalid file type.

Geometric-sama
April 5th, 2004, 07:36 PM
I tried MP3 first, but it said invalid file type. Well, we might have to rename them, then download them and change the file extension back o_O.

bna_li
April 5th, 2004, 07:37 PM
That should work though... So, only you and me so far?

Kairi
April 5th, 2004, 07:49 PM
I thought we supported MP3? Hold on, let me look.
Edit: Yeah, we do. Sure they aren't .wav or .acc?

Geometric-sama
April 5th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Yeah, I'm sure. I encoded and tested it too.

bna_li
April 12th, 2004, 06:04 AM
This thread is dead... Why dont we just get a thread where you can post and ask for opinions instead of competitions?

^^NICK^^ v.2.0
April 12th, 2004, 05:37 PM
it says something like, file system directory not writable.

bna_li
April 13th, 2004, 02:24 AM
Use the Windows Recorder, that works, it's what I used. What about what I said? What about just making a thread just for singing, without the competition, and ask of other's opinions?

Dizzy
April 13th, 2004, 02:54 AM
Yeah, I'm sure. I encoded and tested it too.

Have you heard the New Avril Song, Don't tell me?

I'm going to sing that UNCENSORED.. well one verse of it. The part that goes,

-Edited by Kayleigh-

Er, don't post the lyrics to THAT kind of verse here! O_o

bna_li
April 13th, 2004, 05:46 AM
Aaah... scarey you are, Dizzy... Aahhh...

Kayleigh
April 13th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Er... Well, that's not really appropriate. The lyrics that you posted had some things that aren't okay for some of the younger people here to see. I'd recommend singing a different verse.

Dizzy
April 13th, 2004, 02:48 PM
KAYLEIGH!!! .... :(... Fine I'll sing another song... Like Liz Phair!

"You Think That I Go Home At Night, Take Out my Clothes, Turn Out the Nights.
But I Burn Letters That I Write, To You! To Make You Love.
Yeah I Drive Naked Through the Park, and Run The Stops Signs in the Dark
Stand in The Street, Yell Out My Heart, To Make, To Make You Love me

I am Extraordinary If you'd ever get to know me, I am Extraordinary, I am Just your ordinary, Average Everyday Sane Pyscho, SuperGoddess, Average Everyday Sane Pyscho"

Why didnt you like Avril...

It was the Get you in my pants part wasnt it?

^^NICK^^ v.2.0
April 13th, 2004, 03:49 PM
I used the sound recorder on windows.

bna_li
April 13th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Good. Post it then. I dont think you can sing that either, Dizzy.

^^NICK^^ v.2.0
April 14th, 2004, 03:12 AM
Good. Post it then. I dont think you can sing that either, Dizzy.
i mean I used windows and then the attachment thing on here said file system directory not writable.

Geometric-sama
April 14th, 2004, 05:11 AM
I think PC is still having some problems after the server migration...

Since no one can upload, I'm going to extend the deadline until the middle of next month (May 15) to see if we can get stuff sorted out...

Dizz, I wanted to sing Avril too, but those lyrics probably aren't appropriate for kids... you could try some of the stuff from "Let Go", I think it's cleaner...

Kayleigh
April 14th, 2004, 09:50 AM

I am Extraordinary If you'd ever get to know me, I am Extraordinary, I am Just your ordinary, Average Everyday Sane Pyscho, SuperGoddess, Average Everyday Sane Pyscho"

No, it was more of the other part. The word with three letters in it that most kids aren't supposed to know about 'til later in life. o.o;

And I like some of Avril's songs, it was just those lyrics.

Dizzy
April 14th, 2004, 02:51 PM

But this isnt bad is it Kay-Chan?

Roxas
April 14th, 2004, 03:04 PM
oh crap! this again!? :laugh: Oro? maybe i should sing...*hears people screaming "NO!! YOU SUCK!"* :laugh: i wouldve just post me old titanic song, but me deleted it cause me didnt think me would need it......heh....it was the funniest thing i've ever done..... me cant do it again cause me no have mic anymore....grrr.....woof? Oro?

p.s.
Oro?

Kayleigh
April 14th, 2004, 04:00 PM
But this isnt bad is it Kay-Chan?
Nope, that's fine! ^_^ Just as long as there are no curse words or bad things, it's fine.

And hi Kenshin! I haven't seen your posts in a while!

bna_li
April 14th, 2004, 06:09 PM
I wonder... Is anyone even gonna sing...:(

Geometric-sama
April 15th, 2004, 04:37 AM
Well, we're having upload troubles XD... so we can't do much at the moment...

K-rock (XD), come on, it's just another word for a donkey! XD

bna_li
April 17th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Why dont they use Windows Recorder, that worked for me...

Geometric-sama
April 19th, 2004, 09:18 PM
I think it's the upload problems...

jynx
April 20th, 2004, 01:42 AM
I don't have any recording equipment! :D
And had only listened to 2ba master before.

^^NICK^^ v.2.0
April 20th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Could somebody please help me. Everytime I try to upload an attachment, It always says "File system directory not writable''

Geometric-sama
April 20th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Yeah, that's what I was saying. I have a feeling there's a problem connected to *that* server migration that the admins haven't sorted out yet. o_O

bna_li
April 20th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Maybe I should be the winner, since I'm the only one who posted anything!

perthskies
April 21st, 2004, 07:22 AM
Oh, sorry. Let's try again.

EDIT: I'm not sure why, but every time I upload a ZIP it corrupts, even if it looks OK when I have the "Manage Attachments" window opens. Can one of the admins look into it?

Your ZIP doesn't seem corrupted to me... I can open it fine... maybe it got corrupted during download? Hehe... Jedi_Amara, you sound a little timid... yet sweet. I like it. ^^;

bna_li
April 21st, 2004, 10:46 PM
That is so strange... I can't open anything...

Yami_Charizard
April 23rd, 2004, 01:17 PM
Can I audition? I guess you can say I am the next ruben studdard. I'll have my audition up in no time. I can't wait to do this! *goes to start recording*

Dizzy
April 23rd, 2004, 01:26 PM
Yeah, that's what I was saying. I have a feeling there's a problem connected to *that* server migration that the admins haven't sorted out yet. o_O

I'm going to do the avril song... just clean it up a little bit with my own words

Yami_Charizard
April 24th, 2004, 07:14 AM
Can someone give me a site to upload my song? Or how can I upload an attachment.

bna_li
April 24th, 2004, 08:32 PM
In the compose new message, there's an uploads button.

Yami_Charizard
April 25th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Okay! Here it is the one and only pc idol: Yami_Charizard!

Geometric-sama
April 25th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Oooch, Vicky, maybe it's your computer XD. Because it's still corrupted, as far as I can see... it says next to it "1 Byte"

Yami_Charizard
April 26th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Hey can we make the deadline a little shorter because I am so hype! I don't know how to control myself. If you guys can't upload try to put them as attachments.

bna_li
April 28th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Maybe there's no deadline, even... Because no one is in...

Deoxys55
April 29th, 2004, 12:55 PM
I will join if there is still time :)

bna_li
April 30th, 2004, 01:37 AM
There is still time. Just join! And sing something...

Deoxys55
April 30th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Cool. ^^ Can I do a North American Indian song with drums and everything? **Goes to get drums and recorder from the closet**

Geometric-sama
May 2nd, 2004, 04:57 AM
You can enter whatever you like XD. As long as you can figure out how to upload it... we've had some problemos there XD

22sa
May 2nd, 2004, 06:30 AM
If only I could get my speaker fixed soon... hmm, then I download some of you guys' files. :P

bna_li
May 5th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Cool. ^^ Can I do a North American Indian song with drums and everything? **Goes to get drums and recorder from the closet**
Sure, why not! Just sing!

Deoxys55
May 14th, 2004, 04:23 PM
I have a keyboar synthisizer (meaning it can sound like many different instoments) can I use it If not I'll just use the piano sound on it.

bna_li
May 14th, 2004, 08:39 PM
I think you can... there's no rules for that... thinks me.

Eliana
June 3rd, 2004, 05:24 PM
Um can i still join? i really wanted to, and JA said that i should post here if i wanted to show people i could sing lol..... so can i? XD

^^NICK^^ v.3.0
June 3rd, 2004, 05:34 PM
http://pokecommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5155

That's me singing Fefe Dobson's "We Went For a Ride".

Eliana
June 3rd, 2004, 05:36 PM
Um how do you post it? i dont know how

^^NICK^^ v.3.0
June 3rd, 2004, 05:39 PM
First you record your voice. Then when you post, you go to manage attachments, at the bottom. Next you upload your voice file. That's it, and you need a MIC.

Eliana
June 3rd, 2004, 05:41 PM
First you record your voice. Then when you post, you go to manage attachments, at the bottom. Next you upload your voice file. That's it, and you need a MIC.

Huh? lol i am confused where is manage attachemtns and how do you upload it
OHHHH I SEE! okay htis is really bad but i sang its so hard to say goodbye
dang its not working hm oh it is!

^^NICK^^ v.3.0
June 3rd, 2004, 06:07 PM
OoO, I love your voice!!! Do you have an accent?

Eliana
June 4th, 2004, 02:58 AM
OoO, I love your voice!!! Do you have an accent?

Lol *blushes* thanks! but lol whaT Do you mean by accent???

Deoxys55
June 16th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Ok, my dad has the keyboard right now and I can't seem to sing the Indian song that good, so I'm just going to sing a song from brother bear XD