PDA

View Full Version : Mine Explosion in West Virginia

Chiru
January 4th, 2006, 03:00 PM
A lot of people probably already know this (it's on national news), but a mine exploded in West Virginia - which is, by the way, the state I live in. The explosion caused a cave-in, and thirteen people were trapped inside. When they finally got to the trapped miners, the first report went out saying that they all survived. However, in reality, all but one died. This one person is now in the hospital in critical condition, but they say he's getting better.

Apparently the false report came from people who overheard some cellphone calls or something, and the Coal company never even made a report that all of them survived. That really pisses me off. I mean, the friends and family members of those people were so relieved and ecstatic when they heard that news, and only to find out it's not true. However, you really can't trust the media anyway. I'm also concerned for the one survivor; he's in pretty bad shape right now, and he's more than likely been scarred emotionally as well :(

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/04/mine.explosion.wed/index.html

Otter Mii-kun
January 4th, 2006, 05:25 PM
When I first heard about the deaths as a result of this disaster, I almost immediately thought of the Barnes-Hecker iron mine disaster near Ishpeming in Michigan's upper peninsula that killed 51 in November 1926.

DarkThunder
January 4th, 2006, 05:38 PM
That's north of where I live(Georgia).I heard about it yesterday.It seemed nothing bad(I only saw 1 minute of it)but when I saw it today it seemed really serious.

Sammi
January 4th, 2006, 05:44 PM
It's terrible that they gave out false information. I don't blame them for reacting like they did. I would be very upset too to at first hear my family member was alive, and then hear that they were dead, and it had been false. Hopefully, the families will be comforted, and that the other miners will rest in peace.

I hope that the survivor comes out of this healthy.

Chairman Kaga
January 4th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Although this is horrific, and not only is it going to leave so many with despair for the rest of their life but now the indignance of having their hopes raised only to be shattered all the more, I think that the misinformation was an error and not intentional; one of the worst errors in recent memory, but a mistake nonetheless; this does not absolve anyone from the necessity of blame being placed on some facility of the rescue effort, though; an innocent error does not always imply immunity to punishment.

The Sago mine company, however, should be punished; destroyed, made only a bad memory. No mine in a country like ours should be allowed almost 100 safety violations in a year's time. I won't be so quick to blame the government; for, for one thing, it shows that since this statistic is so well-known now that they did not turn a blind eye to it, and, another thing, we cannot automatically assume that they had any legal rights against the mine; in mining code a violation or any number of violations may not be prosecutable by law. So do keep this in mind.

Dragonite Tamer
January 5th, 2006, 11:01 AM
I feel really sorry for the dead miners' families. That information should not have been believed. The poor families got their hopes up and then completely trashed. I don't know how they'll recover.

Agent9
January 5th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Although this is horrific, and not only is it going to leave so many with despair for the rest of their life but now the indignance of having their hopes raised only to be shattered all the more, I think that the misinformation was an error and not intentional; one of the worst errors in recent memory, but a mistake nonetheless; this does not absolve anyone from the necessity of blame being placed on some facility of the rescue effort, though; an innocent error does not always imply immunity to punishment.

The Sago mine company, however, should be punished; destroyed, made only a bad memory. No mine in a country like ours should be allowed almost 100 safety violations in a year's time. I won't be so quick to blame the government; for, for one thing, it shows that since this statistic is so well-known now that they did not turn a blind eye to it, and, another thing, we cannot automatically assume that they had any legal rights against the mine; in mining code a violation or any number of violations may not be prosecutable by law. So do keep this in mind.

Indeed. 100 safety violations? What a bad rep.

Otter Mii-kun
January 5th, 2006, 01:47 PM
100 safety violations? What a bad rep.
The way things are being put, sounds worse than the Barnes-Hecker incident