PDA

View Full Version : Raikou, Entei, and Suicune: Legendary Dogs, or Cats???

The Songbird
January 23rd, 2006, 05:22 PM
Ahh, perhaps one of the most frequently asked of any Legendary group. Are they cats or dogs???

I actually researched it today, and have found a brief interview with Nintendo with the correct answer!

But... I shall NOT give the correct answer yet! On the 26th, look for the true answer to this famous question! Go ahead and vote first, and let everyone know what you think!

Hamstar
January 23rd, 2006, 05:25 PM
I say dogs...they sound like them and look like them.....Entei even resembles my neighbor's dog a little o.o...

Sammi
January 23rd, 2006, 05:29 PM
I have always called them the legendary dogs, that's what they look like to me. I guess my brother agrees, he doesn't care to correct me ^^;

~Amethyst_Callista_Moon~
January 23rd, 2006, 05:32 PM
Yup, they always call RES (heh, just found that out) the Legendary Dogs.

Natsuki
January 23rd, 2006, 05:36 PM
Raikou, Entei and Suicune are indeed legendary dogs. Every official Pokemon site or other such informative scripture would tell you so. Although I shall admit that Suicune, in my opinion, is the only one of the three that truly resembles a dog. Entei seems more like a lion or a bear, while Raikou looks more like a tiger, what with the stripes and the fangs and such. XD

~Kelsey

Drummershuff
January 24th, 2006, 03:13 AM
I voted for the dogs ^__^

*~Silver~*
January 24th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Though I like Cats I say dogs as well, I think most of everyone dose now.

Alter Ego
January 24th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Cats I say! Raikou has always looked like a mutated sabertooth tiger to me, and Entei kind of reminds me about a lion. I don't know what feline Suicune could be, but it's got this kind of general smooth, sleekness to it that makes me think more of cats than dogs.

coachwhipneoship
January 24th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Suicune looks like a dog to me, for sure. Entei resembles a lion and Raikou a sabre-tooth tiger....yet I regard them as the Lengendary Dogs. O.o;

Kotowari
January 24th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Dogs, everyone says that! Suicune is my favorite and I say he is a legendary dog.

Charaxes
January 24th, 2006, 11:05 AM
I'll go with Alter Ego but honestly, after musing a long, long time on this, I don't think it matters, they are so fantastical made, that they could mean anything you want.

Cats? Yep. Dogs? Yep. Lizards? Could be.

It's all in the viewer's persceptive. Just took me forever to realize but yeah, I'll be waiting for that official answer like the rest of you.

Smarties-chan
January 24th, 2006, 11:08 AM
I agree with my brother, the legendary 'dogs' do indeed look like cats to me. Entei has always looked like a lion to me and Raikou looks kinda cat-ish... The description of a mutated sabertooth tiger pretty much matches Raikou's appearance o.O Suicune looks kinda like a dog though. Anyway... like I said before, the legendary dogs are actually cats.

Chairman Kaga
January 24th, 2006, 11:12 AM
I referred to them as the Legendary Lions before I ever knew that they were popularly called the Legendary Dogs; Raikou is definitely lion-like, Entei bears a resemblance to a large dog, and Suicune is somewhat panther-ish wolf-ish so it's split for me at the present time. It's too sleek to be much of either, actually. I never really agreed with them being classified in the first place; I think after GS came out people just wanted them to seem like a sequel to the Legendary Birds to they were given a similar collective moniker.

Dragonite Tamer
January 24th, 2006, 11:33 AM
I've always called them the legendary dogs, I think cats is a bit unlikely.

Sylphiel
January 24th, 2006, 11:55 AM
I tend to call them "dogs" just because that's the term I see used the most for them; however, I don't see all of them as dogs (my preferred term for them as a group is "beasts", actually). I can't be convinced Raikou is anything but a cat, and while Entei looks like it could be either, I tend to go with lion as well. Even Suicune, the one that's most like a canine out of the three, has a vaguely cat-like build to its body...or so I thought when I watched the fourth movie. Meh.

Bocky
January 24th, 2006, 12:12 PM
I say their cats. Like everyone else, Entei resembles a lion. Suicune a panther. And Raikou either a leopard or cheetah. All cats. And why would anyone call Raikou or Suicune a dog? They dont even look like it. I can understand Entei but the rest look like cats.

Akio123
January 24th, 2006, 02:33 PM
In the original Japanese versio, I have researched they are cats. I don't even know why people say they are dogs. I mean Suicune is a Panther or a Cheetah. Raikoo is a cross between a Lion and a Tiger. Entei could be mistaken as a dog, but it is a Mountain Lion.

RSL
January 24th, 2006, 05:25 PM
The Chinese translations are as follows:

Raikou: Thunder Tiger
Entei: Blazing Lion
Suicune: Water Wolf

2 cats and 1 dog? BEASTS sounds more like a reliable term, even though I call them the legendary dogs.

DarkThunder
January 24th, 2006, 06:04 PM
I guess they are dogs but I think of them as Beasts.

Rai
January 24th, 2006, 06:06 PM
I always thought they were dogs...I never even occured to me that they could be cats O.O

So I voted for dogs >D

phunboy
January 24th, 2006, 07:16 PM
The Chinese translations are as follows:

Raikou: Thunder Tiger
Entei: Blazing Lion
Suicune: Water Wolf

2 cats and 1 dog? BEASTS sounds more like a reliable term, even though I call them the legendary dogs.
Well, if that's true then 2 are cats and 1 is a dog though I will say I have always referred to them as the legendary dogs as most have but the 2 cat/1 dog thing makes sense as Suicine looks like a dog/wolf and the other two do look like big cats aka lions and so on.

All the Pokmon in general I say for the most part can be classified in the beast category better than any other as most are amalgamations of various animals like Eevee is. Though of course there are those that are direct visual translations like Pidgey, Poocheyna and so on.

Golden Groudon
January 24th, 2006, 08:50 PM
I'm the only one that voted the last one because..

*drools*

The Fallen
January 24th, 2006, 09:34 PM
I'd say Suicune and Entei are dogs but Raikou resembles a cat more. It sorta reminds me of a saber toothed tiger cause of his teeth.

kohei
January 25th, 2006, 04:02 AM
They've been called the "Dogs" ever since I've noticed, so I voted for dogs...

The Songbird
January 27th, 2006, 05:35 PM
I apologize for the delay in posting my results. I was unable to make it online last night. x.x

I found that a Canadian TV station, called YTV, interviewed a Nintendo representative, who announced that the Beats were in fact cats.

I found this result on Wikipedia. I searched for Raikou, under "Appearnace."

I emailed YTV, and am waiting for a reply verifying this info. I shall post their reply once I receive it.

Drifblim
January 27th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Aside from the feet, they look nothing like cats. Their faces and muscular schemes show all, pretty much.

Dragonite Tamer
January 28th, 2006, 04:14 AM
I apologize for the delay in posting my results. I was unable to make it online last night. x.x

I found that a Canadian TV station, called YTV, interviewed a Nintendo representative, who announced that the Beats were in fact cats.

I emailed YTV, and am waiting for a reply verifying this info. I shall post their reply once I receive it.
I'm really surprised about that. To me they have always been dogs. I think I'll just carry on calling them that.

Crosman
January 28th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Suicune and Entei look like dogs but for some reason Raikou looks like a Tiger.

Defently dogs though.

RaikouRider243
January 28th, 2006, 06:15 PM

This is old news. Nintendo has said the Beasts are cats before. If you look near the back of the Pokmon Stadium 2 player's guide, you will see it. I would scan the page it's on but that would be against copyright >_<

Chiru
January 28th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Hmm, I can see where they're coming from when they say they are cats, but I always referred to them as dogs. Raikou reminds me of a tiger, I always thought Entei looked sort of like a lion, and Suicune's body looks quite cat-like. I really don't care which they are though, they're still cool.

BROOKE_&_LUGIA
January 28th, 2006, 07:44 PM
I think they are dogs. They don't even LOOK like cats (well, to me anyway)!!!

The Songbird
January 29th, 2006, 06:57 PM
I never owned any of the Pokemon games outside of the Gameboy series, so I never looked through the Stadium 2 guide. I didn't know that they actually mentioned that.

I always thought Raikou and Suicune were cats, while I was clueless about Entei... XD So I called it a dog because of how common that was.

Houndour2005
January 30th, 2006, 03:19 AM
I have voted for cats too.

Simmons_2.0
January 30th, 2006, 03:24 AM
They are defintly cats I mean they really remind me of different types of cats.

Sanctuary
January 30th, 2006, 04:33 AM
I voted Dogs. But I call them the Legendary Beasts.

~Icestar~
January 30th, 2006, 03:33 PM
I agree with Simmons 2.0, they are cats in almost everyway. Except for Entei's build, and Suicune's cry (which sounds like a snarling/baying wolf), they are as cats are.

For cat breeds it's like this:

Raikou-Egyptian Mau, Bengal, or Ocicat. Probably tabby Bengal.
Entei- Maine Coon or Norweigian Forest Cat.
Suicune- A crazy mix of a Turkish Angora and Applehead/Traditional Siamese.

Yea.