PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate RP

Let's Fighting Love
January 27th, 2006, 10:49 AM
In this thread all the Rp players out there get to create one ultimate Rp by brainstorming in one big group and voting on the most popular Topic. So everyone will nominate one topic and then we'll vote on which one is the best then we discuss the Story line and other things.

Loki
January 27th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Say we do get this 'ultimate RP'. Who'd be the RP master/Who'd create the thread in question? Does this ultimate Rp include pokemon or will we vote on that as well?

Lily
January 27th, 2006, 08:54 PM
A compilation of ideas might result in discrepancy, as many RPers sometimes have the tendency to stick to one particular style.

So it is a cooperation amongst players to create a final RPG? Are there any guidelines as to what we should put in?

Zelos
January 27th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Yeah, sounds a little weird to me....

Burninating_Torchic
January 27th, 2006, 09:07 PM
An ultimate RPG seems impossible, as Ultimate is an opinion. In addition, everyone would have different opinions, and voting would not be fair, as that is purely majority rules.

Let's Fighting Love
January 28th, 2006, 09:56 AM
You all have good points it's just that every Rp gets conquered by another one so why not have one ultimate one that won't get conquered that most of the people will enjoy, and anyone who wants to can join. Instead of the makers of the Rp getting upset because some Rp gets more attention which may cause fights or flame wars. I just thought of the possible big picture so I'll need to give it a little more thought.

Loki
January 28th, 2006, 11:18 AM
ANYONE?! Anyone can join? Even total n00bs who talk in 1337 speak? Dude, that's totally against the rules, and some people on PC can't even post 4 words of RPing. Anyone, is definetly, NOT a good idea.

Flames/Fights? Wow. That's one super n00b of a RP Master if they can't deal with the fact that nobody wants to join their RP. That's what the drawing board thread is for.

Conquered eh? Well you see, only a certain amount of people would be allowed to play, because if there was about everybody here, then it'd get too confusing and everyone would leave. I don't think that just because some people's skills are rustier than others, doesn't mean they get special treatment, because they can always go somewhere like neopets or Gaia where people RP with asterisks as action describers, and there they can polish their skills before they come back here, where the standards are slightly higher. *cough* much *cough*

All in All, I think that 'An Ultimate RP' is not the solution to the problems you've brought up.

Let's Fighting Love
January 28th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Hey I know that now that's why I said I had to think about it. No offense but I really would like you to not insult me further for my stupid idea as you brought up.
The things I was thinking of were just sort of because there are people who get 0 posts on their Rp's and they won't even be locked. It's just the attempt to not make people feel left out because they might not be a good Role Player or what ever you call it. The point is if they have troubles instead of critisising someone HELP THEM. That way they have a chance at being good at it otherwise they might think they're worthless and never Rp again. Now personally I want to make people feel more welcome instead of being riddiculed. One other thing the way to start this a tip of bringing the feeling of being welcome is stop calling new people stupid noobs it is very offensive.

Zelos
January 28th, 2006, 02:04 PM
There in lies the problem. A lot of noobs, I don't know how many, but that's beside the point, don't really want to try to do better or follow the rules. Some of them want to act immature and continue on the way they are. On the other hand, I understand that there are some noobs that want to try better, and these are the ones I feel sorry for. I suppose certain aspects could work for the ones who want to learn, but others, just no....

Burninating_Torchic
January 28th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Hey I know that now that's why I said I had to think about it. No offense but I really would like you to not insult me further for my stupid idea as you brought up.
The things I was thinking of were just sort of because there are people who get 0 posts on their Rp's and they won't even be locked. It's just the attempt to not make people feel left out because they might not be a good Role Player or what ever you call it. The point is if they have troubles instead of critisising someone HELP THEM. That way they have a chance at being good at it otherwise they might think they're worthless and never Rp again. Now personally I want to make people feel more welcome instead of being riddiculed. One other thing the way to start this a tip of bringing the feeling of being welcome is stop calling new people stupid noobs it is very offensive.

Congratulations, you're the first one on this forum to trigger my minimodness!
First off, (s)he wasn't insulting you, but instead was merely explaining why your idea wouldn't work.
Second, with that wording, you admitted it was a stupid idea.
Third, you bring up "0 posts in their RPs", when he had already answered that point(drawing board or something like that).

Alana
January 28th, 2006, 06:12 PM
I have to agree, I don't think this would work out very well. But maybe if you took this idea and tweaked it a bit. Say we get the top RPGers to band together and come up with several different plots. If some are similar then they can combine them and make it even better. All of the creators will help each other until they are all satisfied with each RPG. Then you have four or five really good RPGs that will probably be a big hit. Or maybe get into teams of around five. Each team will have to have a similar RPing style or it won't work out. Then they all make an RPG. I don't know if you'll be able to call them "ultimate" RPGs but they will be pretty good. What does everyone think of that idea?

Jack O'Neill
January 28th, 2006, 09:38 PM
I have to agree, I don't think this would work out very well. But maybe if you took this idea and tweaked it a bit. Say we get the top RPGers to band together and come up with several different plots. If some are similar then they can combine them and make it even better. All of the creators will help each other until they are all satisfied with each RPG. Then you have four or five really good RPGs that will probably be a big hit. Or maybe get into teams of around five. Each team will have to have a similar RPing style or it won't work out. Then they all make an RPG. I don't know if you'll be able to call them "ultimate" RPGs but they will be pretty good. What does everyone think of that idea?
That...sounds good. There's only one way to find out this plan's feasibility, however...

Loki
January 29th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Right, but some people deserve to be called n00bs clone trooper. Maybe I don't want to be nice to them. Not everyone in the world is for justice you know...

I suppose that could work Alana, with different people in each RP right? So that way everyone would be able to at least RP a little. Well, not everyone. That would suck and it would become the worst RP if anyone could join, but have the RP Masters pick 5 who sign-up. People should only be allowed to join one, so everyone gets a fair shot, and when everyone who's tried/been declined or accepted, they can see if they want to join the other ones?

Burninating Torchic, I'm a girl, not a dude.

Burninating_Torchic
January 29th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Burninating Torchic, I'm a girl, not a dude.

Sorry. I probably could have guessed that, but for some reason when I don't know for sure I have a tendency to just use the male forms of words such as he and him.

Alter Ego
January 29th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Meh, ultimate RP? I know I'm mostly echoing the others here, but the whole concept reeks. You can't achieve a universally 'ultimate' level in anything, and putting every RPer on these boards to work together would be like putting a bunch of short-tempered cats together in a very small sack, which, in case you didn't realize it already, is not a very good idea. Also, the 'everyone gets to RP' concept is...just plain wrong, really. Sure, it might seem 'fair' from a certain point of view, but the fact is, it's just not going to work, ever. In case you haven't noticed, the clueless and the unrepentant have practically been swarming the RP sections lately (Hence the separate topic for sign-up rules and the moderation of all new RPs.). Yes, those willing to learn should be taught, but not at the expense of those who actually expect a bit more from their RPing experience than flat, two-line posts. It only takes one horrible RPer to spoil it for the rest, now tell me, why should everyone else in the RP suffer because some people can't overcome their own ineptude? <.<

Ahem, rant aside, Alana's idea...well...it could work, although the RP masters should be chosen carefully because tempers can sometimes run pretty wild in RPs and it wouldn't be very beneficial for the RP's development if we had two RP masters constantly picking on each other, same RP genre preference or no. Personally, the best RPing I've experienced is that which is performed among a small group of friends. My first one was the Alphimega remake, which made it to page 73 (although we had to shut that down because the thread creator had pirated the plot <.<), and I've later tried to rebuild on that concept with the Showgan RP, and gotten pretty good results too. The idea is that everyone gets a say in how the plot develops and gets to add small side-characters, encounters, plot twists etc. and larger things are discussed among the members (Which is where the fact that all RPers are on friendly terms with each other becomes important as it keeps arguments from sprialing out of hand), or, as is the case in Showgan, the RP master (That would be me in this instance xD) decides the main course of the RP and the others get to fill in their own details.

Anyways, a co-operative effort from some of the more 'named' RPers around here could certainly prove to be interesting, I'll give it that. ^^ Although one should take care not to overdo it, too many cooks spoil the soup after all.

Loki
January 29th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Actually Alter Ego, you're last quote makes a lot of sense. Too many RP Masters and they'll all have different ideas and in the end it's taste'll be kinda strange. I think that we should find who's willing to be a fair RP Master, someone who everyone knows for sure won't accept a one-liner RP into the roleplay, and then we can build up ideas. For instance, I was thinking a more futuristic RP, as you don't see many RP's where the future isn't totally screwed up. That'd be pretty original, or maybe we could ask around and see if anybody has a good pokemon RP plot in mind, just like an idea and we could all add opinions and taking from Clone Troopers idea, vote which amendments are best? But not before taking a personal Oath to shut up if someone pisses them off and to leave, take a deep breath, come back calm and collected. ^_^;;

Alter Ego
January 29th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Hmm...a non-dystopian future RP? *Blinks* Yeah, that's a pretty novel concept, actually. They all tend to be either twisted empires of evil or horrible post-apocalyptic wastelands, usually both. xD Yes, that would be a genre that would interest me for one, although I usually work in the pokmon field as most people who have even the slightest clue about who I am should know, so maybe it could be a non-twisted futuristic pokmon RP? Heh, I'd be interested in building on that concept, certainly, and I fancy myself pretty good at condemning short posts and sloppy sign-ups so I could help with that. Heck, there could be one person dealing with the sign-up discernment and another to deal with the plot if necessary, or would that be over-complicating matters?

At any rate, I'm willing to help make this happen, although my time is a tad restricted because of real-life interference (I.e. School in general and Physics in particular ~_~). Is there anyone else willing to step up and support the basic idea (Details to be discussed)?

Loki
January 29th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Yeah I was thinking you'd make a good RP mastah.

Anyway, I'm not sure how'd we'd put an uncorrupted future RP in place. Maybe like, where the four teams of the world (including cipher) have disappeared into nothing and yet a new danger lurks along the fabric of time, or the world? That'd be sorta cliche, but you need a good idea mixed with cliche for it to blow the minds of the great one's off. Fortree could be a city in the sky! XD hahahaha, that'd be funny, considering they do worship the sky. If we tried my idea of the bigger threat, then we would have to figure out what the new threat is. I say not all four teams merged, because that happens way too often in RP's. Also, we could add that people know somethings going on because of something like in the Pokemon Movie:2000, where the weather freaks out, and where the pokemon do as well. Maybe something could be trying to capture the legendaries! *snatches Kyogre, Suicune, and Articuno Plushie away from masked figure* Stay away! *hiss*

And we've all got time issues. 2 pages of math homework every **** night and I'm only in 7th grade.

Alana
January 29th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Lol. Hey I know how you feel on the homework thing. *glares at teachers* :P

Hmm, I could help out if ya want. I think something where we have to be a Pokemon would be a nice change. They're not completely uncommon and they used to pop up allt he time but I don't see many any more. Maybe we could be legendaries or something. Or perhaps legendary trainers. You know, the clasic "Chosen Ones". :P ONly rather than going to find our legends we already have them and we have to fight our evil doubles or something. *glances around* *grabs Raikou, Ho-oh, Rukario, and restles Suicune plushie away from Naoko* MINE!

Alter Ego
January 29th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Ehh...let's see...how about this? Team Rocket has more or less disbanded, right? First the main organization was split up when Giovanni retreated in the R/B/Y plot arch and then even the newly assembled Rockets got thumped in G/S/C. As for Magma and Aqua...well, Maxie and Archie were pretty shook up after the Groudon/Kyogre incident, ne? Maybe they turned over a new leaf? ^-^ Let's see, that leaves...Cipher. Dang, I could use some help from someone who's actually played those games. xD Well, we could always say that they went overboard with their experiments and their leadership got decimated by a rampaging horde of shadow pokmon. Also, the teams could have detoriated into a kind of cult-thing, you know, the kind of stuff that insecure teenagers searching for their identity would join up for just for kicks and then leave when tehy feel like it? Ahh...I could picture an old admin of one of those teams ranting about that. xD As for the new treath...I agree, the 'new criminal organization' is a complete clich, and the existing teams combining even moreso. I do have an idea for a slowly impending apocalyptic doom (The beauty of it is that most people wouldn't realize at all) although I can't explain it here at least because that would spoil the whole plot. Suffice to say that it's connected to Unowns...the lovable little buggers. ^-^ Ahh...that's a point from one of my older plot ideas, actually.

Anyhow, basic concept; the world is allright, utopic. Sure, there are the usual little crimes and things but basically we have world peace and a general happy, go-lucky atmosphere. But alas, everything isn't how it seems, there's a slow but certain process in the works which could change the world as we know it (Incidentally, that actually happened several millennia ago, wiping out most of the plant and animal life from the face of the planet, although scientists have been unable to discover why). However, our main characters would, each for their own reasons, end up discovering this danger. There is a problem however; who would believe a bunch of teenagers saying that sort of thing? That's right, no-one in their right mind, so it would be all up to the main characters to discover the exact nature of the treath and how to avert it. And...well, several official people might not look too kindly on that, believeing that they're only trying to cause havoc and chaos.

Well, that's my idea thus far, any comments? ^-^

Loki
January 29th, 2006, 11:07 AM
*Squeals* You're a genius! Adding the Unknown was a good idea too. It could be like small concepts of each movie mixed together! Unknown from the 3rd movie, and other syuffs. And the concept of nobody believing the teenagers is very realistic, but maybe we could add because the elder people know what it was like when the Team's raged against each other and refuse to admit something worse could happen after so many years of Paradise?

-I g2g eat, but I'll be back later- Locks Suicune in safe until she comes back, knowing Alana will find some way to open it, while taking Lugia along for the ride.

Alter Ego
January 29th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Thanks. ^-^ I've always been a fan of Unowns ever since I saw that movie and I've been waiting for a chance to give them their deserved spotlight. Yeah, the oldest generation could have this in-denial thing, and so would the current leadership as well. (It ain't popular to be a doomsayer, you know), although I have to admit, I'm not particularly fond of adding legendaries to the mix unless it's absolutely necessary, because...well, their kind of a major movie clich. I'm opposed to the thought that legendaries are needed to accomplish all significant things in the world. Power to the worms! XO

Ahem, at any rate. My comp time for the day is running low (I'm actually on an overtime as it is, but my parents are busy ranting about politics with each other since we had our presidential election today so they don't notice. xD) so I'll have to log off after this. Anyways, there could also be a slight extremist movement heralding the end of days (Okay, they've been doing it for like 20 years now, so no-one takes them seriously either) and it's a bit of an embarssment for the government, so the characters could be branded as working with that organization and presto...the hunt begins. >D

Hmm...I'll be back, hopefully with some more ideas, tommorow. I've got a double skip-hour at school on mondays so I'll have time to think. ^^

Zelos
January 29th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Well, I certainly do like all the ideas that everyone is throwing in. I'd like to help, considering most of the role-plays I join end up dying ;_; Anyway, I think the usage of Unown is a nice idea, they are all so mysterious and you could make them do just about anything...

Anyway, I have had a new role-play brewing in my mind the past few days, but there are so many role-plays out there that have the same idea that even if I added a few twists it wold still be the exact same thing(Basically). Maybe ancient Pokemon could somehow be integrated into this "Ultimate Role-Play* The ancients(Kabutops, Aerodactly, ect.) were never really focused much on in the shows, games, ect. that I think they deserve a little attention, along with the Unown. Anymore ideas anyone else want to throw into the fray(Brilliant thinking, Alter Ego *tips hat*)

Let's Fighting Love
January 29th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Wow....Thanks Alana for turning this into something that works and I will admit I was wrong and that you guys were right and I'm happy this has a chance of working.

Loki
January 29th, 2006, 04:15 PM
I'll try to type up a plot, working of Alter Ego's basic preview, not adding his idea though cause I don't know it...

The world is paradise, utopic. The 5 teams, Neo Team Rocket, Team Rocket, Magma, Aqua, and Cipher have virtually vanished. Neo Team Rocket disbanded long ago, with the disappearance of their leading figures. Team Rocket disappated with Giovanni's disappearance. Team Magma and Aqua have disbanded after the battle of Kyogre and Groudon, and Cipher was overrun by their very own shadow pokemon. Sure, there are the usual little crimes and things, burglaries, break-ins, but basically there is world peace and a general happy, go-lucky atmosphere.

But alas, everything isn't how it seems, as many used to learn, but now, there's a slow but certain process in the works which could change the world as we know it.

However, our main characters would, each for their own reasons, end up discovering this danger. There is a problem however; who would believe a bunch of teenagers saying that sort of thing? That's right, no-one in their right mind, so it would be all up to the main characters to discover the exact nature of the treath and how to avert it. After all these years of peace and harmony, who remember's was strife and misery is? And...well, several official people might not look too kindly on that, believing that they're only kids trying to cause havoc and chaos.

I didn't add much, but we can all keep adding to it, discuss our idea's first as well.

Let's Fighting Love
January 29th, 2006, 04:30 PM
That's a good plot N-C. So who do you guys think should be the big enemy then?

Jack O'Neill
January 29th, 2006, 09:56 PM
That's a good plot N-C. So who do you guys think should be the big enemy then?
It has to be accessible to everyone, so we'll leave Pokmon-related villains out of this. In fact, the various Teams have been dealt with already.

There are endless possibilities for villains and other enemies if you just dig deep enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Animation_villains
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Computer_and_video_game_villains
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Film_villains
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Villain_groups
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Villain_races
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Television_villains

Basically, just pull out all the stops and use whatever you want.

Alter Ego
January 30th, 2006, 05:05 AM
Whoa, looks like my idea has been a bit misinterpreted in my absence... The fact that there wouldn't be a clear villain (Nope, the destruction-thing is part of a cycle which the actual 'cause' can't influence because...gah, it's so hard to explain without giving away the whole thing and breaking the fun of revealing it as the RP progresses. >.<) As for adding fossil pokmon into it...erm...why? The Unown are at the core of the whole disaster and no, they can't be replaced without changing the whole thing, it's precisely the fact that their very simple as organisms yet hold that enigmatic touch that makes them more a part of the whole thing, the fossils just don't have that (I would have added Cradily if they did xD). :\ Whoa, I'm sounding a bit combative, aren't I? Don't read too much into it, please. Suffice to say that it's related to a certain hypothesis I, being me, made about Unown and how they work. Hmm...should I reveal the big secret right here (To give a clearer picture) and spoil the surprise? Meh, your call, I guess, although I'd prefer not to.

As for that draft-like thing...well, it's a good start but yeah, the actual wording etc. could use some more work. I can handle that, no worries, I'll probably just expand it in my usual style when the actual thread is started, like I did with Ancient Dynasty (The whole writing was just done on the fly, all I had before that were loose ideas and a basic concept ^-^). Oh, and I'm opposed to giving away the game with the bit about the characters getting branded by the government and such, those things should be revealed as the plot progresses. Let it start out simple and branch out to with complications later on, I say.

Oh, and I've come up with plenty of stuff for the RP plot, but I can't seem to put most of them into any real context (Or even proper wording) at the moment, they're just loose things that might or might not be applied here and there. Meh, I was thinking that the 'big enemy' or rather, main antagonist in this case would be the government. Global police, gym leaders, Elite Four...you name it. Since technically, the way they see it, the main characters are the villains, so in the end, everyone is basically striving for what seems good from their perspective and there are no truly 'evil' guys (Although over-zealous/corrupt ones? Well, those are another matter altogether), just a lack of knowledge on all sides, including the being which is treathening to cause the destruction, because quite frankly, isn't the 'evil-bad-guy-trying-to-take-over-or-destroy-the-world' the mother of all clichs? I'm kind of trying to break the stereotypical old 'we're good, they're bad' dualism.

Well, hope that was a bit clearer than mud. ^-^ Thanks for everyone's (Hopefully continued) input.

Loki
January 30th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Hmm...I suppose so AE (can I call you that?) But there's gotta be something trying to destroy the world. There doesn't have to be a reason I suppose, because then we could just say it's an entity of darkness, but theres your cliche again!

As for the fossils, I would guess we could somehow fit them in, but they would play an extremely small role, unlike the Unknown. I'm not saying we should replace the Unknown with the Fossils, I say we should add them into the mix, somehow make them a small peice of the bigger picture. We should also get a basic sign-up sheet together Are we going to add any special things to the sheet, like 'how you came to learn of the disaster?'

As for the draft, it was merely a rough draft. We can add our idea's onto it, and then take the basic concept and totally reword it into a kick-arse plot. But as for the government as enemies, there's those total average gym leaders out there who 'believe' everytime they hear a crazy story. And how will you portray what the character is supposed to do? (haha, I said you, because your basically doing everything) Like, are we supposed to journey around? Or, should we have to collect items? (cough cliche cough)

Zelos
January 30th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Sorry about the ancient Pokemon thing, I was just trying to get some ideas flowing. I don't want to get anyone mad by ruining the whole plot ^^;;

And, I do hope that we CAN stray away from the whole original plot that practically everyone uses. It does get annoying after. I'm glad that we can discuss in here a new way to experience role-playing. I wonder though, how IS this going to work? I understand that you guys haven't got the whole plot together, but this "slowly impending doom" thing sounds pretty good, although not the most original plot(No offense or anything :p)

Let's Fighting Love
January 30th, 2006, 05:09 PM
The reason they're destroying the world is sometimes to make money, but alot of the time they're doing something evil while thinking it's the right thing to do. Like sometimes in movies a robot tries to destroy the human race because it starts to think and thinks we will kill ourselves anyways, other times in movies the robots try to stop violence. Basicly I'm saying is they are thinking they're doing the right thing it just may be wrong the way they're doing it.

Loki
January 30th, 2006, 06:16 PM
...IRobot cliche. *cough* I don't think that'd be the best, because the government already thinks their doing the right thing, and so everyone thinks their doing the right thing but really our characters are doing the right thing? I think it'd be better if we gave RPer's a chance to go either way in the process of the RP. Besides, if this 'destrutive force' thinks it's doing the right thing, then it must be an artificially made object or a human/pokemon. I suppose that might work as it is in the future, but I'm not so sure...

Alter Ego
January 31st, 2006, 05:07 AM
Nope, I don't mind being called AE, or Alter, just as long as you don't try to call me Ego. ^-^ *Leans back and wonders how many wise-arses are going to call him Ego now* And Tyson, there's no need to apologize for bringing up the fossils, more ideas is already a good thing and I've come up with an idea for them anyway (See below). Ahh...I haven't planned an RP together with others since the Adopter one (Shame that one of the members got major real life problems and had to quit, which kind of threw the others off) so sorry if I'm hogging the work. xD I do appreciate your input. ^^ And concerning the gym leaders...I'm actually thinking that Tate and Liza (Those are about the only ones who were young enough in the R/S/E saga to still be alive, what with their psychic mind-over-matter stuff and whatnot) could actually help later on. However, since the gyms are under government control, any gym leader openly supporting a view which is directly opposite of the government's would certainly be sacked, so any supporters of the characters would have to do so in secret.

Anyways, it looks like i simply have to explain the big picture behind the force in order to explain this. *Takes a deep breath* Okay, here's the deal;

~OMG! SPOILER! OMG!~

As we all know, Unown by themselves are very simple and weak creatures, possessing only a small trifle of psychic power to protect themselves, however, when they get together, as in the movie, they draw strength from each other and can distort reality itself. So I was thinking of it like this...rather than being individuals, the Unown of the world are, in fact, all parts of a single entity, kind of like the countless nodes used for realying information in a human brain, however, unlike with a human mind, the Unown mind is so largely spread out (Because they're all over the world) that the simple distance involved would make true thinking problematic, so at the moment they are in a state of semi-consciousness (similar to dreaming), however, the entity is of course striving to achieve true consciousness, and to that end, every Unown instinctively seeks to unite with other Unown. Once again because of the huge distances involved, this process is an extremely slow one that crosses countless generations (In human years), and when it happens...well, things go bad. When all of the Unown unite into one, a being of immense power would form, however, because this entity has no experience of the world and yet possesses such a great psychic power that it can read the minds of every sentinent being at a great radius, the sheer amount of information flooding its consciousness at the same time sends it into a state of shock and panic, and the creature would react in the only way it knows; unleashing all the power it holds at its surroundings. The resultant shockwave would not only cause the usual kind of destruction but also, because of its psychic nature, create a terrible backlash in the minds of sentinent beings, reducing them once again to their old, primeval state. The entity itself would not be spared from consequences either however, as it spends so much of its power onto this single attack that the Unown no longer possess the means to keep contact with each other, dispersing back across the world in random patterns, which leads to the entity once again loosing its sentinence, only being able to recall the events as blurry parts of its 'dream' and making way for the process to start again, while at the same time, practically all sentient beings would have suffered a similar fate, having to undergo the process of evolution all over again and start afresh, which more or less makes it into an endless cycle, and the world would be near the end of that cycle as the RP starts.

~OMG! END SPOILER! OMG!~

Well, I hope that makes it a bit clearer. ^-^ Anyways, on the subject of villains...well, I do have an idea for that one. Remember the civilization that used Unown shapes as letters? I'm thinking that they would have realized the process in the making and taken precautionary steps, sealing off the Unown in structures across the world to keep them from uniting (I.e. The ruins found throughout tG/S/C and FR/LG), and the villain(s) in question could somehow have found out about this, perhaps seeking to assemble the entity in hopes of controlling it and attaining a divinity of a sort? Either that or they could be the apocalypse doomsayers who want their vision to come true. The fossil pokmon could play a role with this method too, because they would have been alive during the time when the ancient people imprisoned the Unown and would undoubtedly have passed the tale onward to each new generation, so we could have a note of various rare pokmon species acting in a peculiar manner (I.e. Attempting to stop the villain(s)). As for how the characters would get to know of this, I'm thinking that there would be a large enough concentration of Unown in the vicinity of wherever they are (Having them roughly in the same place would make things a lot simpler, maybe there could be some kind of bigger event or something to justify them getting together?) and they would end up communicating with the entity's child form through 'dreams' and that way quite quickly getting the picture.

Anyways, while I'm all for freedom of RPing, the idea of having people go different ways...erm, you mean actually trying to bring about the apocalypse? o.O That would require one heckuva' lot of effort. It's not like everyone has to think that they're doing the right thing, but heck, you'd think that even quite the selfish person would see that the practical elimination of civilization as we know it isn't exactly profitable for them. I'm not saying that characters shouldn't be allowed to be petty, greedy, power-hungry, selfish or indiferent, I'm just saying that they would end up doing the right thing, even if it is for other reasons (Say...wanting to dis the government, getting them of your back to get on with your life, just plain wanting to look good for a more altuirstic member of the opposite gender etc.). Total freedom of choice is a nice concept and all, but it usually leads to weak and fragmented RPs.

Soo...any thoughts? ^-^

Loki
January 31st, 2006, 03:57 PM
I think you've pretty much the whole RP figured out. ^^;; Maybe we could steal from xXSaberXx's fanfiction storyline, and make 'children' that are spread around the world. Children are sort of like people with more awareness of natural occurances, sometimes legendaries pick them as their children and they recieve even 'specialer' powers. (Not a word, I know) Since you don't want legendaries in this though, we could cut that part out and have that extra ability to sense natural abilities as another reason why the people can feel it more than the other's can?

Jack O'Neill
January 31st, 2006, 06:11 PM
Does it HAVE to be purely Pokmon? That alone would alienate quite a few RPers. Maybe if you...integrate elements from other continuities, it would be more appealing to non-Pokmon RPers.

For example, let's take the Goa'uld, the Replicators, the Ori, and the Wraith from Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis. They all want to conquer Earth once the Unown gather and trigger the doomsday event. The Goa'uld would once more have slaves in the form of primitive humans. The Replicators would have adequate material to...replicate. The Ori could offer advancement in exchange for eternal worship. The Wraith would have a steady food supply that won't fight back. In addition to stopping the Unown from gathering and wiping out all sentient life on Earth, the protagonists will have to combat the predations of these alien influences as well. If you take the Stargate itself, then it can be used to resettle people offworld just prior to the doomsday event; it'll be up to them to rebuild Earth once it triggers.

For a moment, let's assume that the Unown de-evolution attack is limited only to the Earth's surface. Anything in space would be safe, right? Now let's take the PLANTs from Mobile Suit Gundam SEED. ZAFT can adopt a humanitarian stance and allow people to resettle in the PLANTs. PLANTs would also make excellent platforms with which to attack the Goa'uld, Replicators, Ori, and Wraith, if you choose to integrate my Stargate idea. The protagonists can aid ZAFT in resettlement efforts and help ZAFT forces battle the Goa'uld, Replicators, Ori, and Wraith (and they'll get to pilot Gundams, too).

To paraphrase a quote by Number Two from Austin Powers, "There is no world, only corporations." The government doesn't have to be the bad guy. Instead, it could be a whole bunch of corporate interests, like the Umbrella Corporation of Resident Evil fame. In fact, Umbrella could be doing research on the Unown in order to see if they have military applications; personally, I wonder how an Unown infected with the T-Virus would operate.

Loki
January 31st, 2006, 06:14 PM
But if we did add those things, that would deplete another number of RPers, as I have no idea what the h*ll you're talking about in that entire post. Who're the Guoald-whatever? I have no idea what Stargate is, and I have basically only the rough image of what you're talking about. I wouldn't join the RP if there were elements I had no idea where or what they are and are from.

Jack O'Neill
January 31st, 2006, 08:12 PM
But if we did add those things, that would deplete another number of RPers, as I have no idea what the h*ll you're talking about in that entire post. Who're the Guoald-whatever? I have no idea what Stargate is, and I have basically only the rough image of what you're talking about. I wouldn't join the RP if there were elements I had no idea where or what they are and are from.
But still, you get the point. Pure Pokmon would alienate quite a few RPers. Maybe if we just keep the Pokmon-related content limited to just the Unown and make up a bunch of original content to fill in the blanks, we could attract a wider audience. Sprinkling in the odd reference or two to other works can be tolerable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Stargate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Resident_Evil
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Suit_Gundam_SEED

Alter Ego
February 1st, 2006, 06:20 AM
Does it HAVE to be purely Pokmon? That alone would alienate quite a few RPers. Maybe if you...integrate elements from other continuities, it would be more appealing to non-Pokmon RPers.

For example, let's take the Goa'uld, the Replicators, the Ori, and the Wraith from Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis. They all want to conquer Earth once the Unown gather and trigger the doomsday event. The Goa'uld would once more have slaves in the form of primitive humans. The Replicators would have adequate material to...replicate. The Ori could offer advancement in exchange for eternal worship. The Wraith would have a steady food supply that won't fight back. In addition to stopping the Unown from gathering and wiping out all sentient life on Earth, the protagonists will have to combat the predations of these alien influences as well. If you take the Stargate itself, then it can be used to resettle people offworld just prior to the doomsday event; it'll be up to them to rebuild Earth once it triggers.

For a moment, let's assume that the Unown de-evolution attack is limited only to the Earth's surface. Anything in space would be safe, right? Now let's take the PLANTs from Mobile Suit Gundam SEED. ZAFT can adopt a humanitarian stance and allow people to resettle in the PLANTs. PLANTs would also make excellent platforms with which to attack the Goa'uld, Replicators, Ori, and Wraith, if you choose to integrate my Stargate idea. The protagonists can aid ZAFT in resettlement efforts and help ZAFT forces battle the Goa'uld, Replicators, Ori, and Wraith (and they'll get to pilot Gundams, too).

To paraphrase a quote by Number Two from Austin Powers, "There is no world, only corporations." The government doesn't have to be the bad guy. Instead, it could be a whole bunch of corporate interests, like the Umbrella Corporation of Resident Evil fame. In fact, Umbrella could be doing research on the Unown in order to see if they have military applications; personally, I wonder how an Unown infected with the T-Virus would operate.

Why yes, I do believe that it HAS to be purely pokmon. Because I despise the idea of marginalizing them by adding a bunch of completely random stuff in there for no apparent reason, as it always ends up with the pokmon involved ending up as mindless drones being RPed by a bunch of people who don't have a clue about what the heck they are doing. I haven't got exact figures, but judging by what I've seen the amount of crappy RPers signing up tends to be in direct correlation with the amount of moives, TV-shows etc. mixed into the plot. Why? Because people go 'OMG I know that show!' and decide to join just because of that without needing to have the least appreciation for the actual plot. It's good if you just want a bunch of one-liners but bad if you actually want a functioning RP. ~_~ Also, why SHOULDN'T it be pure pokmon? It's set in the world of the pokmon games, the whole disaster is treathening to occur because of pokmon. Why the heck should we get some random alien invaders? There's no JUSTIFICATION for elements from Stargate to be in, there's no POINT in adding stuff from Gundam Seed (Of which I know absolutely nothing by the way, and which I certainly will NOT research just so I can somehow mix in some random crap from there to court some stray Gundam Seed fanboys), and adding zombies from Resident Evil just for the heck of it is, I'm sorry to say, the dumbest idea I have heard. If you want an RP based on some other TV Show/Movie with some marginalized pokmon stuff thrown in just for show then go ahead, but don't come messing this plot up with it.

This is a POKMON SITE, okay? This is supposed to be a place for people who like pokmon. Therefore I believe that the amount of pokmon fans here far exceeds the amount of Gundam Seed fans, Resident Evil fans, or Stargate fans. Heck, I'd be ready to wager that it exceeds all three of them combined, the only thing I can see this idea bringing is the alienation of countless pokmon RPers (A group which includes both me and some of the best RPers I've seen here) and the gaining of a couple of random TV show fans of which 1. Most probably don't go to the Pokmon Roleplay section anyway 2. 90% probably couldn't write a paragraph of proper IC to save their friggin' lives. And quite frankly, I have no qualms about alienating that lot since that would just spare me the trouble of stamping 'declined' on their miserable sign-up sheets.

In short, the marginal benefit gained doesn't by any means cover the loss of quality RPers incured. The 'Other Roleplay' section was made to handle that stuff, so I'll thank you kindly to keep it where it belongs. -__-

Kurosaki
February 1st, 2006, 08:22 AM
Because people go 'OMG I know that show!' and decide to join just because of that without needing to have the least appreciation for the actual plot. It's good if you just want a bunch of one-liners but bad if you actually want a functioning RP. ~_~
Just want to bring up a point here. Do you read the posts at all in the Pokemon RP section? It's the same way there, if not much worse in most cases. >>

Alter Ego
February 1st, 2006, 08:49 AM
Just want to bring up a point here. Do you read the posts at all in the Pokemon RP section? It's the same way there, if not much worse in most cases. >>

Ouch, point taken. Yeah, I can see what you mean and there are some pretty nasty cases there, although judging by some of the stuff that I've seen in Other Roleplay (Not all of it mind you, I don't spend enough time there to make any real wide-scale observations) I'd say that there are equally bad cases in both, although the amounts can vary. Well, thanks for bringing that up (Can't see the faults in my own arguments. >_<), although I still maintain my stance that trying to lure in people from the Other Roleplay section by adding features that would appeal to them but would also would most probably alienate the Pokmon Roleplay people (The section in which this RP, by virtue of the Unown alone, would end up) doesn't seem like a very good idea simply due to the fact that it would be primarily the pokmon roleplayers who'd get to see the RP anyway.

Loki
February 1st, 2006, 03:31 PM
Nice rant there Alter Ego. *Freshly feared again* XD Anyway, I have to say, that I certainly wouldn't join something that had elements I didn't know about. Or, at least, I'd rather not. And we're not trying to target the entire PC population, just a few. In the end, only about 5-10 people will be allowed to join, if that many, and there are that many dedicated pokemon lovers who are beast at Roleplaying at PC. As Alter Ego pointed out, there's a reason this place is called 'Pokemon Community'. Besides, I pity the person who's never heard of pokemon, considering whether they think it's retarded or not, almost everyone has heard of the series/cards. As for the joining just because you know the series, I'm guilty of all charges. ^_^;; It's like a bad habit.

Now on the subject of the RP, what do you think of my 'Child' idea Alter Ego? It wouldn't change the RP by much, and it'd add about a sentence to the plot. But then there's the chance that people might think that they're the almighty god of everyone else..._ _;;

Alter Ego
February 2nd, 2006, 04:58 AM
Yeah, go me and ranting...I swear, one of these days they're going to demand for a rule stating that I should be kept on a leash at all times. xD

Anyway, did I forget to comment on your idea? o.o *Rushes off to read it again*

*Gets back* Well, that idea does seem to have some merit, what with all the talk about everyone having psychic powers but most just not realizing it (I believe Sabrina said that), so yeah, they could be ones with an unusually good talent for recieveing psychic signals, hence, they'd be the easiest minds for the semi-dormant entity to connect with. That makes sense, and would also serve as a nice weapon for branding them insane (I mean come on, people listening to the little voices in their heads? xD). They wouldn't know of this unusual talent at first though, I did mention that I'd have Tate and Liza serving a plot purpose, right? They'd get to help in explaining this bussiness to the characters later on. Oh, and it would, in my opinion, be a nice complication if they did indeed get caught by the government at some point. But that all depends on how the plot actually ends up developing.

Anyways, the main issue to sort out at the moment is the villain(s). An organization is of course a very old clich, so that one's out of the picture. It would probably have to be a single individual or a very small group...ohh, how about a high-up government official? He/she would have access to a great deal of information (And hence learn about the Unown) and would also see it as being in his/her best interest to frame the characters as they would end up poking around in things that ought not be poked around in, maybe even catch him/her red-handed, overhear a meeting he/she has with a few close supporters etc. Just as a thought. ^^

Loki
February 2nd, 2006, 03:36 PM
Yeah, because the high-and-mighty official would want a higher status. A person gone crazy with power! I think it should be a female, seeing as it's almost always a guy who's the bad guy. Condoleeza Rice! XD It could also be a guy, as there are a lot of male government officials, but just a thought. Perhaps it could consist of three people. Two who are under the wing of the highest, who do that person's dirty work, so that it's harder for us to know who we're really fighting against? Sort of like Shum and Cart in the Pokespecial, except the head honcho doesn't show up as **** much as the Mask of Ice did _ _;;

Alter Ego
February 3rd, 2006, 12:16 PM
Yep, government officials being male is really a deep rooted stereotype. I noticed that when I was typing out that post, I instinctively wrote 'him' without even noticing at first. It would make sense for it to be a female too, because they are usually still denied the top positions, so it could be a very influential woman who's tired of playing second fiddle. But yeah, a small group would probably be best. I'm thinking that it could start with three, one being the president/benevolent despot/whatever the leader-guy would be, and being male, the second being the main villain and his right hand woman. I believe she would be in quite a good position to manipulate him, actually, and would undoubtedly have convinced the president that the power would go to him, only to betray him when he's not needed any longer. To further complicate matters, she could also have enlisted an accomplice whom she has told that she'll share the power with and whose task would be to eliminate the president when the time comes. Well, she'd betray him (Ho-hum, other potential manipulation victim here, and manipulating the opposite gender would be easier) too, and have him thrown away for assassinating the president, usurping 'temporary' control and declaring a state of crisis because of the coup, hence gaining additional power and getting into position to attain her final goal.

On the manipulation thing...I think that was inspired by you mentioning Condoleeza Rice (Not going there though, because discussing politics never ends well), after all, she's responsible for summarizing information for the president, ne? Our villainess could do something similar.

Loki
February 3rd, 2006, 03:25 PM
I think this'll turn out to be an interesting RP. Now for a very simple part. Have you figured out the title yet? I think it'd be funny if you put the title as 'Unknown' because it'd have a meaning only to the people who read the plot. XD But then it'd be slightly weirder to people who haven't. Anyway, I think that's mainly it, and we'll need to figure out what region this takes place in/where we'll all start/meet if even. And if this is a solo RP or a group RP.

Jack O'Neill
February 3rd, 2006, 09:27 PM
The female villain could also represent a corporate interest; perhaps she's trying to manipulate the president so that he serves her company's interests?

I was thinking that that company would be based somewhere along the lines of, say, the Umbrella Corporation from Resident Evil or Omni Consumer Products from RoboCop (here I go again with non-Pokmon references...): a megacorporation that already has a stranglehold on just about everything else but the government. Your villainness could be a company operative, manipulating the president, the main villain, and whatever accomplices she may hire on in order to carry out the company's agenda; again, what that agenda would be is up to you.

Regarding the Unown, perhaps this company seeks to use them as a weapon of sorts after finding out that they can be used to generate great destructive power.

Alter Ego
February 5th, 2006, 03:26 AM
Eh...title? Meh, I hate coming up with titles. >.< Although I do agree that getting in 'unknown' or 'Unown' somewhere would be a nice touch. ^^ Any ideas?

As for the whole company-having-control-over-the-state thing, well, I actually considered that, but then I started thinking...isn't that more of an element of dystopian settings (As opposed to utopian as this one was meant to be)? Plus, control over the whole state is kind of tough, in Robocop it only concerns a single city, remember? Shinra from Final Fantasy VII, very similar kind of thing, is perhaps a bit more in that direction, but that one is pretty dang dystopian by nature and they only had control because they were the main suppliers of electricity for the world. Places like Wutai weren't under their control. =P So yeah, those that element fit into the starting mood we were aiming for?

Loki
February 5th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Jack o' Neil, you double posted.

I'm thinkin' we could do 'Unknown Hazard'. Or a different second word that's technically a synonym, because it would mean two things. Unknown because nobody knows what it is, and it's a hazard, and the other Unknown because the Unknown are causing the Hazard? Very complicated title. -.-;;

Jack O'Neill
February 5th, 2006, 12:31 PM
As for the whole company-having-control-over-the-state thing, well, I actually considered that, but then I started thinking...isn't that more of an element of dystopian settings (As opposed to utopian as this one was meant to be)? Plus, control over the whole state is kind of tough, in Robocop it only concerns a single city, remember? Shinra from Final Fantasy VII, very similar kind of thing, is perhaps a bit more in that direction, but that one is pretty dang dystopian by nature and they only had control because they were the main suppliers of electricity for the world. Places like Wutai weren't under their control. =P So yeah, those that element fit into the starting mood we were aiming for?
It may start out as a utopia, but as the company gains power and influence through its plant in the government, it'll slowly yet surely shift into a veritable dystopia. The company will start with the capital, then work its way outwards to the rest of the nation; those regions that resist the company's control will get crushed one way or another.

BTW, Naoko-chan, it's O'Neill with two Ls. There's a Colonel O'Neil with only one L. He has no sense of humour at all.

Alter Ego
February 7th, 2006, 09:39 AM
It may start out as a utopia, but as the company gains power and influence through its plant in the government, it'll slowly yet surely shift into a veritable dystopia. The company will start with the capital, then work its way outwards to the rest of the nation; those regions that resist the company's control will get crushed one way or another.

BTW, Naoko-chan, it's O'Neill with two Ls. There's a Colonel O'Neil with only one L. He has no sense of humour at all.

Either that or they'll build up equally strong companies in other regions. I imagine that in the pokmon world, much like IRL, there are regulations against non-state-controlled monopolies etc. Hence, even if a company would make it that far, the feds would step in (Back by the army) and either demand that the company sell of a part of their assets or socialize it to put it under their own flag, which is precisely why oligopoly (As opposed to monopoly) is the most common market structure in this world. Plus, wasn't the whole original point that it wouldn't be a dystopia?

Anyways, on the name, it's fair enough but it could still use a little something...ho-hum, maybe I ought to ask Random Plushie about this one. She's great with names. ^-^

Loki
February 7th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Hey I just thought of an interesting name 'The Hazardous Unknown'. I'm not going to explain the pun again as I'm sure you get it. It's like a turn around of the original, but I think it's better than the last one.

CyBeastSaber
February 7th, 2006, 06:29 PM
This is one rather complicated and yet interesting rp that is about to be made. I'm sorry but I am out of fresh ideas at the moment for very much anything. I'll be sure to throw some in ASAP. I am sort of creative but that depends on my mood. Yeah... It sucks. I could try making up some names for the Rp while I am still here. Hm... Maybe.......Gah. nothing is popping into my head. I'll have to get back on this. I think I'll draw out the plot and everything. *runs off* Naoko-chan's title sounds good too but....