PDA

View Full Version : Gary or Ash

Deathspector
February 22nd, 2006, 01:39 AM
Forgive me if this thread hs been posted here before, but I feel the need to justify a couple of points about these two. Also, feel free to vote in the poll, but please post as well. I don't only want this an opinion thread, but I want it a descussion thread, so start debating.

In my opinion, Gary far outsttrips Ash in all fields of Pokèmon training. Unlike Ash, he understands a lot more about Pokèmon training, and his goal is, unlike Ahs's of becoming a Pokèmon Master, remains unknown to the viewers of the animè.

He also has a team of Pokèmon that technically, can roll Ash over. What do y'all think?

Ravecat
February 22nd, 2006, 02:19 AM
I agree with you, Ash can be an... idiot... sometimes.

Crosman
February 22nd, 2006, 03:05 AM
I would vote Ash even know Gary has Golem, Blastoise and Alakazam. (three of my favorites)

Shiny Meganium
February 22nd, 2006, 03:14 AM
I like Gary. He has a cool Umbreon. Gary's Pokemon are a lot more supreme.

Drummershuff
February 22nd, 2006, 03:49 AM
I'd vote for Ash. I prefer his Pokemon to Gary's but I do think that Gary's Pokemon are maybe a bit stronger than Ash's.

Ejunknown
February 22nd, 2006, 07:35 AM
Definetly Gary. Not only did he start with an Eevee, he is stronger and smarter than Ash.

Imagination Ninja
February 22nd, 2006, 08:16 AM
id vote for Ash as i prefer him to Gary , I Know Garys smart and he has cool pokemon. But i prefer Ash as he is quite funny in the first series and he's pokemon are awesome his Pikachu's is cool and has quite powerful eletric attacks and i love his Grovlye because its sooooooooo cool. Anyway i vote for Ash,. Even though sometimes i also think Gary's pokemon are stronger than Ash's.

Crystal Clair
February 22nd, 2006, 10:05 AM
I voted Gary, even though I love Ash to bits. But I've liked Gary over Ash since the beginning, way back when I first saw him. Gary's character design was so cool and how he was so much better than Ash was so cool.
I just didn't like when Ash found out his Krabby was much smaller than Gary's, LET KRABBY BE!

Decepticon
February 22nd, 2006, 11:54 AM
Ash I guess, hes got Squirtle!!1
and in the first season i liked how they made him so stupid it always made me laugh. now that Ash is smarter the show isnt as good... but i do like alot of gary's pokemon *coughumbreoncough*

Lily
February 22nd, 2006, 12:13 PM
Definetly Gary. Not only did he start with an Eevee, he is stronger and smarter than Ash.

Actually, he started out with a Squirtle. I believe one of the episodes explained that part, although it's still vague. Starting out with an Eevee would be contradicting the first episode.

If we're talking about the first series, I'd vote for Ash. His character isn't bad, considering the growth of his so-called development, but it just doesn't appeal as much anymore.

...But if I had to choose, it'd still be Ash, for some odd reason. =P

Ravecat
February 22nd, 2006, 10:15 PM
Well, I still think Gary started with Eevee.

and Oak is his grandfather...

Decepticon
February 22nd, 2006, 11:22 PM
Well, I still think Gary started with Eevee.

and Oak is his grandfather...
in the episode where ash fights gary in the johto league brock says "theres the blastoise that gary started with when he began his pokemon journey"
or somthing like that. so blastoise is his starter even though he seems to have more of a bond with eevee/umbreon in some episodes it shows.

*~Silver~*
February 22nd, 2006, 11:37 PM
Nope I remember that episode, he started with a Squirtle, Also yah I vote for Gary, he's got over 200 pokemon, he has lots of different strong pokemon, and he plain looks cooler. Also what happened to Gary? I don't think I've seen him all of Honen (He could at least appear once!!!)

Deathspector
February 23rd, 2006, 03:11 AM
Yep, lots of people think that Gary started with his Eevee that later evolved into Umbreon, but it's a fact that he started with Squirtle. In the Silver Conference, Gary battles Ash with a Blastoise, which was his starter, and that's another thing...Ash always seems to win, no matter what. he beat a Blastoise with a Charizard for Christ's sake.

And his first battle with Brock...unbelieveable.

In my opinion, if the Gym Leaders had gone on Ash with full force, he'd still be fighting Brock. The stubborn bastard...

ponyta rules
February 23rd, 2006, 05:37 AM
I like them both the same really.I like Ash as he's more friendlier than Gary but i think Gary is a bit better looking than Ash but i like their Pokemon much the same.

Deathspector
February 23rd, 2006, 11:58 PM
I thought that I'd put together this set of gymas that Ash batled in kanto, and see what happened.

Pewter City
Gym Leader: Brock
Outcome: Brock felt sorry for Ash.

Cerulean City
Gym Leader: Misty
Outcome: Team Rocket...bleah.

Vermillion City
Gym Leader: Lt. Surge
Outcome: He one fair and square, but Pikachu versus Raichu? Bullshit.

Saffron City
Gym Leader: Sabrina
Outcome: he made her laugh...what a strategy.

Celadon City
Gym Leader: Erika
Outcome: Team Rocket again.

Fuchsia City
Gym Leader: Koga
Outcome: Team Rocket, yet again...

Cinnabar Island
Gym Leader: Blaine
Outcome: Okay, this was one of my favourite gym battles, that was actually worthy. Charizard pwnz Magmar.

Viridian City
Gym Leader: Giovanni.
Outcome: Giovanni had to go on unexpected leave...honestly.

Hikarii
February 24th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Ah, but Ash is still learning, yes? That's why he's still on his Pokemon journey. ^^; Sure, Gary's smarter, and probably better at Pokemon than Ash is, but I still prefer Ash. (Forget the fact that I love him right now. XD) I guess... Probably because he's kind of stupid and makes lots of mistakes, and since he's still learning, he's making a great role model for me. xx; Never give up, heh.

Himawarii
February 24th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Finally,something diffrent from the May vs. Misty or Kikyo vs. kagome threads xDD

Well,I vote Gary.Badass boys are awesome.Plus he's a Pokemon team is pretty decent to my standards =D

fallen_natsumixx
February 24th, 2006, 02:18 PM

... Gary started with a Squirtle. 0_o They didn't show his Eevee until Johto.

Gary, definately. Gary should've beaten Ash but Ash being the main character, of course, wins. -_-U

At first, I didn't like Gary at all but later on, I began to like him more and more while I began to dislike Ash, Misty, Brock, May and Max even more and more.

Rai
February 24th, 2006, 02:20 PM
I never really liked Gary. Dunno why O.o

So, I say Ashy!! <3

=D

Aegis
February 24th, 2006, 04:27 PM
I have to say Ash, even though they made him WAY to mature in the new series

Spinor
February 24th, 2006, 05:30 PM
stupid people -_-gary is the stupid retardet idiotic(whatever retarded means @~@) taking out the r spells gay which gary is...gay(whatever gay means@~@/XD)ash is better than gary!gary is retired as a pokemon trainer anyway

also hikarii...ash is may's

Soul-Music
February 24th, 2006, 06:45 PM
stupid people -_-gary is the stupid retardet idiotic(whatever retarded means @~@) taking out the r spells gay which gary is...gay(whatever gay means@~@/XD)ash is better than gary!gary is retired as a pokemon trainer anyway

also hikarii...ash is may's

Do you really have to bash any character or people before you answer a topic?

Ahem...

Ash definitely! He's cool and pretty determined. And beside I can see multiple personalities in him (personal perception), that's about it.

Mario The World Champion
February 24th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Ash or Gary?

I'm not voting because of two reasons.

1: Gary first makes himself out as an arrogant jerk at the start of the series and his skills as a Pokemon trainer could wipe the floor with Ash and all of his unevolved Pokemon.

2: Ash has been the show forever and is makes himself look like an idiot sometimes, which is good, but he never gets any cool Pokemon and when he does get a new one, they never evolve!!

So... I'm split on this one.

Deathspector
February 24th, 2006, 11:34 PM

Listen dude, I don't know whether you're being sarcastic or not, but not knowing what retarded menas is just sad. Of course, it also means you're a retard. there's no reason to diss Gary that much. Look at everyone else. They're just poiting out their point of views without insulting the other character.

Now that that's over and doen with, I'd like to state one more thing. This isn't just a poll, but a debate thread, and I want everyone to keep on debating. Go for it!

zethias
February 26th, 2006, 12:27 PM
I'd choose Gary over Ash anyday. Gary seems to be more serious, not to mention he has Umbreon, which is a pokemon I really like. As for Gary's starter pokemon, i don't have a clue and would rather not think about it seeing as I would probably hurt my head....><.

Drew
February 28th, 2006, 05:47 PM
...... o.o Some of these answers are strange.... *cough* But anyway.... as annoying as Ash can be sometimes... (I'm sorry Veronica Taylor!! I'm soooorry!!) I still like him better then Gary. Because Ash is awesome... Not that Gary isn't, I just like Ash better.

Karrit
March 7th, 2006, 12:06 PM
I prefer Ash, even though he is immature sometimes. Gary just annoyed me.

Nodroz
March 8th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Wow. I'm surprised Gary has more votes than Ash. Anyway, I've gotta go with Gary. He made a great rival. He was intelligent, skillful, level headed, and had some awesome Pokemon. I also found his arrogance and the way he mocked Ash highly amusing. As for Ash, he irritates the hell out of me.

Torkoal Greg
March 9th, 2006, 03:36 PM
I'm not the biggest Ash fan around, but I chose Ash over Gary. I really just find Gary's attitude, more towards the first few seasons, not so much around Johto, to be rather annoying. He was concieted, in a way. I just don't tend to like people like that.

Yggdrasill-sama
March 18th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Gary's simply awesome. Ash, on the other hand, pisses me off.

Fr0st
March 18th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Ash is the most annoying main character ever, but the whole show is based on emotional cheeziness where u must be friendly with the pkmn. In this case ash will always be the better trainer as he cares more...

LelandLancaster
March 22nd, 2006, 02:25 PM
I voted for Gary because his hair just totally tops Ash's hair. And that's obviously the most important thing. :D

Mari-Ashley
March 23rd, 2006, 02:24 AM
Ash. Definitely. Although I disliked Gary in the beginning, he changed in a positive way. But then again, Ash also changes throughout the series.
I just got a thing for Ash that won't go away. <3

Pikachuu!
March 23rd, 2006, 03:19 AM
Has to be Ash, Gary always seemed cocky to me.

Raze-finiarel
March 23rd, 2006, 08:09 AM
I pick Gary because...I...love Umbreon *Begins to twitch* [insert maniacal laughter here] o_0

~Rene~
March 24th, 2006, 02:49 AM
I prefer Ash better. Because he is awesome.

Kyoko
March 24th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Ash all the way^^ he's got great pokemon which sadly eh left bhind and not to mention he has a glalie!!! he has an awesome personality and is cute^^ it's a triple threat!! ;)

blastoise>you
March 26th, 2006, 12:26 PM
To me, Gary was better. He had an attitude almost like Ash didn't really matter. He had more pokemon, and he actually lets them evolve. Maybe I would choose Ash if he caught pokemon instead of trying to help them.

AAMLrox
April 1st, 2006, 02:51 AM
Definitely Ash because i think he's just more likeable than Gary... and Gary always annoyed me -_-

Anyway, what happened to Gary?

SaberRayquaza
April 2nd, 2006, 02:46 PM
Ash, Gary is a jerk.I dont like Gary.

The Great Saiyaman
April 2nd, 2006, 04:11 PM
Gary! He became a gym leader. While Ash won't confess is feelings for girl. Throw me a bone here.

JX Valentine
April 4th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Gary has a certain maturity and edge to him that makes him a bit more superior to Ash, in my opinion. Ash still often acts like a little boy (especially when he's all fired up for a Gym match to the point where he doesn't care about anything except getting to the Gym -- Mossdeep, anyone?), whereas Gary has grown a bit from the shallow, egotistical jerk he once was. He now speaks to Ash as a mature adult (or he did at the end of Johto), unlike he had in Kanto. Though Ash has grown up a bit since his first Kanto journey, he's still got a long way to go before he reaches Gary's level of intellect and maturity.

Not to mention his Pokemon team really was cool, despite the fact that Ash beat him fairly in the Silver Conference.

And yes, I have considered the fact that Ash has literally saved the world several times over, but even so, Gary's still got a good head on his shoulders -- the sort of thing I like to see in a character.

Loki
April 4th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Gary! He became a gym leader. While Ash won't confess is feelings for girl. Throw me a bone here.

In the TV Show, Gary does not become a gym leader, instead becomes a Professor on Cinnabar Island if I'm not mistaken. I think you've confused Gary with Green.

I personally like Gary more, even though his american voice bugs the everything outta me *twitch* But his personality is all around better then Ash's in my opinion. He acts immature around Ash during Kanto, mainly because they're rivals, and he obviously finds it funny when Ash get's mad. But when he needs to, he can be very serious, as demonstrated when Team Rocket attacked his Grandfather's ranch in The Pokemon Corrall, or something like that.

I have indeed also taken account of the fact that Ash has saved the world probably now countless times before, but all I can say is. HE NEEDS TO STOP. XP Ash is the 'Chosen one' or, 'Ash has to save his mom for the better of all mankind' or, 'Ash is the only one who can stop Deoxys from taking over Larousse' or, 'Ash is the only one who can save Latias from Annie and Oakley' and honestly, I personally don't care anymore. Ash needs to deflate, and step down, because by now, he's saved the world 8 times, and he's pissing me off.

I'm obviously not an Ash-fan, but take no offense from my opinions Ash-fans, I am merely stating my reasons for picking Gary, not Ash. (which are blatantly obvious)

And, AMEN to your post Ice Blade. Amen.

Grandadvanceshipper, I think we've all got a clue as to why you hate Gary. *points to the painfully obvious username* I have nothing more to say on that matter. And is a rude way to referring to a person who is mentally disabled. And dude, chill out. You're one of those people who hate anything that gets in your shippings way, such as Gary, Misty, Drew, and pretty much everyone else who has even the slightest ties to Ash and May. *gaspeth*

As for everything else, I have to say...GARY DIDN'T START WITH A @#*$% EEVEE!!! He started with a STARTER POKEMON. You allz need to rewatch the first episode. He started with A SQUIRTLE. *gaspeth* Just had to say that.
Thank you xXFallenXx for clearing that extremely obvious fact up for us. (cough them cough)

Baki Koji
April 11th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Shigeru > Satoshi. And, whoa, I'm shocked that he's actually ahead in the poll.

Blazichu
April 13th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Ash is in every ep. to bad about gary wanting to be a scientest in Pokemon Chronicles

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
April 13th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Ash is totally better than Gary

:t003:Dark Venusaur

Latias-
April 30th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Ash is much smarter, cooler, etc than Gary.

~Alakazam~
April 30th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Gary is a true Pokemon trainer, who develops his pokemon, lets them evolve and creates a balanced team. I would love Gary even more if he had a Charizard, but Blastoise is good. He has a Nidoking and an Alakazam. Those two are awesome. Too bad we rarely got to see them.

Ash just sits there with weak pokemon and leaves all of his old, good ones like Snorlax and Muk at home.

poke lover
May 1st, 2006, 01:54 AM
Gary is better than Ash in terms of battling and training. BUT, when it comes to caring for your pokemon and loving them, Ash is the better trainer there. I guess Ill pick Ash.

DININI
May 1st, 2006, 02:26 AM
I like both of them,but i will say loudly ASH. He is awsome

kuro_kaze666
May 6th, 2006, 02:59 PM
........I like both.......together....in love.

Drew
May 6th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Gary and Ash?
XD
Yeah...that pairings okay...
Anyhoo, Just checkin' back to see whose winning.
I'm surprised that Gary is beating Ash....

T-T

Magma_Hank
May 7th, 2006, 09:00 AM
hmm i lkie ash more because his team is cool

Ichigo Flash
May 7th, 2006, 10:25 AM
I voted Ash because aww bless hes behind but I have equal respect for Gary as Pokemon.
Gary is alot more intelligent, has supreme battling abilites and has a better study of Pokemon (his grandfather being Professer Oak).

However Ash has deeper bonds with his Pokemon and thats what half of Pokemon is about. He is alot funnier aswell :) (even though hes a right idiot at times).

Gary - Has Nidoking :)

Ash - Has a cool Pikachu :)