PDA

View Full Version : Gay Rights Debate

LosPokeHuevosMas
February 25th, 2006, 06:02 PM
I don t know if u all here yet but in Mexico we have been having riots over the president granting gay rights. What do u guys think? are they fair or no? Let me no, i really want to here waht u think.

DragonTrainer
February 25th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Something tells me this won't turn out too well.

They're normal people, like anyone else.

LosPokeHuevosMas
February 25th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Something tells me this won't turn out too well.

They're normal people, like anyone else.

I agree. I don't know why everyone so mean to them. It makes me mad. :(

John Denver
February 25th, 2006, 06:50 PM
This is...whoa, completely and totally not allowed...

flame war immenent (however it's spelled)

Kylie-chan
February 25th, 2006, 06:54 PM
I'm not going to lock it until anything happens.

It's imminent, fyi. :3

Drifblim
February 25th, 2006, 07:07 PM
That's one thing I like about Vicente Fox. He's willing to do anything even if it does him riot after riot. As well as unemployment riots over here in the US.

</sarcasm>

But at any rate, I don't think gay marriage should be prohibited, but there shouldn't be that much leeway for them. Imagine if we had these marriages being used to settle corporate feuds....I'd hate to see Rupert Murdoch and Bill Gates together....

Kylie-chan
February 25th, 2006, 07:10 PM
That's one thing I like about Vicente Fox. He's willing to do anything even if it does him riot after riot. As well as unemployment riots over here in the US.

</sarcasm>

But at any rate, I don't think gay marriage should be prohibited, but there shouldn't be that much leeway for them. Imagine if we had these marriages being used to settle corporate feuds....I'd hate to see Rupert Murdoch and Bill Gates together....
That could happen just as easily with heterosexual marriages.

John Denver
February 25th, 2006, 07:12 PM
I'm not going to lock it until anything happens.

It's imminent, fyi. :3

You mean you're not going to lock it because I said "this will be locked"

Yeah, I know...I know

Kylie-chan
February 25th, 2006, 07:18 PM

Geez...
If you have a problem with me, take it up with me on PM. Don't go offtopic.

Drifblim
February 25th, 2006, 07:19 PM
That could happen just as easily with heterosexual marriages.At least they'll have a quandary of some sort. Not to be sexist, but I've noticed that many males are running high-stock businesses....

Kylie-chan
February 25th, 2006, 07:22 PM
At least they'll have a quandary of some sort. Not to be sexist, but I've noticed that many males are running high-stock businesses....
Doesn't mean that the only marriages that benefit two businesses have to be high-stock.

Neko
February 25th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by John Denver

Geez...

XD Well it's your own fault that everybody hates you..XD j/k

I haven't heard anything from Mexico or w/e (doesn't like the news channels lol) But I really wouldn't be phased by the president granting the right if I was there. People should be allowed to love anyone they want to, no matter what sex/race/w/e ^^" (Though it would kinda disturb me seeing two gay guys like, kissing or something like that XD I'm straight) But I do think that all the people that ARE complaining should just worry about themselves, and not what other people are attracted to. |=3

John Denver
February 25th, 2006, 07:28 PM
XD Well it's your own fault that everybody hates you..XD j/k

It's not my fault that Kylie's insecure...

I haven't heard anything from Mexico or w/e (doesn't like the news channels lol) But I really wouldn't be phased by the president granting the right if I was there. People should be allowed to love anyone they want to, no matter what sex/race/w/e ^^" (Though it would kinda disturb me seeing two gay guys like, kissing or something like that XD I'm straight) But I do think that all the people that ARE complaining should just worry about themselves, and not what other people are attracted to. |=3

Yeah, people have the ability to love whoever they want. But marriage is biblical, and the bible condones homosexuality, unlike the politically correct government...

Neko
February 25th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Yeah, people have the ability to love whoever they want. But marriage is biblical, and the bible condones homosexuality, unlike the politically correct government...

Uh..wait then why would gays even WANT TO get married? XD I don't know...There should be like, something else thats like, different from marriage, but like, the same thing. xD *brick'd*

OFFTOPIC:
Also how do jews get married then?? *dies*

Kylie-chan
February 25th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Uh..wait then why would gays even WANT TO get married? XD I don't know...There should be like, something else thats like, different from marriage, but like, the same thing. xD *brick'd*

OFFTOPIC:
Also how do jews get married then?? *dies*
He was being sarcastic, I think.

John Denver
February 25th, 2006, 07:44 PM
He was being sarcastic, I think.

I was being fully serious

Because they DEMAND equal rights but they don't want to actually have to do anything to get them. They just DEMAND them!

And there is, it's called a "civil union." It's all the marriage, minus anything religious...which, I think, is stupid...

Neko
February 25th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Because they DEMAND equal rights but they don't want to actually have to do anything to get them. They just DEMAND them!

Wow, but they would eventually HAVE to do SOMETHING to get ANYTHING, y'know? XD

And there is, it's called a "civil union." It's all the marriage, minus anything religious...which, I think, is stupid...

Then does that mean you think marriage is stupid? Unless, that is, you think the religious part makes it worth while or something. >.>

John Denver
February 25th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Then does that mean you think marriage is stupid? Unless, that is, you think the religious part makes it worth while or something. >.>

No, I think marriage is one of the greatest things that can ever happen to someone. I think civil unions are dumb because they try to take the biblical foundation out of marriage...

Drifblim
February 25th, 2006, 07:57 PM
So what? They love each other, let them marry, but keep the marriage motives in check.

Kura
February 25th, 2006, 08:04 PM
It's not my fault that Kylie's insecure...

Not everyone believes in the bible.
You can't use that as 'proof' of what a marriage should or should not be.

John Denver
February 25th, 2006, 08:22 PM
...the bible.
You can't use that as 'proof' of what a marriage should or should not be.

Yes I can, actually...

Marriage comes from the Bible. That's where it was created. Having marriage without the Bible is like having e=mc^2 without Albert Einstein...

Chibi-chan
February 25th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Marriage comes from the Bible. That's where it was created. Having marriage without the Bible is like having e=mc^2 with no Albert Einstein...
So are you saying that people didn't get married before the Bible?

Kura
February 25th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Yes I can, actually...

Marriage comes from the Bible. That's where it was created. Having marriage without the Bible is like having e=mc^2 without Albert Einstein...

Not really~ The actual Bible doesn't justify anything. It was written over 2000 years ago. We don't even know if the people who wrote it were just mental or what.
e=mc^2 has proof to it because it has been tested and is a true statement.

You can't say that the bible is a true statement because you can't prove that the person who claimed to say something in it actually did say it.

Also, people who believe in other religions believe in marriage, and they don't follow the bible.
If it were only created by the bible, many other parts of the world wouldn't have the concept of marriage.

Yet they do.

Marriage is a concept. An idea. People wanted to feel bonded with one another, so they made up this idea of marriage.

LosPokeHuevosMas
February 25th, 2006, 08:32 PM
You all are debating this issue on two different levels. There are the political and the moral issues here and some of you seem to think they are the same thing.

John Denver (My New Hero) is arguing on a moral issue of faith. He is saying that the bible establishes marriage. Which it does. However that is not the point. I was more looking to entice discussion about the legality not the morality of it. Legally the reasons for seeking marriage are numerous and the reasons that civil unions will not suffice obvious.

P.S. Yeah, I am not Mexican.

Cherrim
February 25th, 2006, 08:46 PM
o_o Regardless of whether the bible started it or not, the fact that marriage is now accepted broadly as the step a couple takes toward their own mutual unison as people makes it rather irrelevant in the discussion of the political and legal implications of gay marriage. Tons of people get married everyday without so much as a care as to whether it was originally started by Christianity or not since they don't follow the religion in the least. Why should an entire nation follow the rules of a book that not everyone in said nation believes in?

A little irrelevant, perhaps, but I know many churches dislike the fact that marriage is being taken from them and instead now also represents the unholy wedlock of two same-sex lovers. Thus one option is to simply rename it such that instead of being in a "marriage" they're in a "union" of sorts. But considering the fact that marriage, as a whole, no longer specifically means that of a Christian faith, I don't think it's a good idea. :\ For most people, it's more so the idea of being married (and literally using this term) to the one they love that iniciates the ceremony...not the legal implications of marriage. (Since by "chaning the name" they would get all the legal benefits of marriage but just not the title.)

I believe everyone has the right to be married if they so desire. Legally, in many countries, all citizens are equal. If they are equal, each and every single one should have the same rights as everyone else. So why deny some people the right to marry? It doesn't make sense to me.

Chibi-chan
February 25th, 2006, 08:47 PM
You all are debating this issue on two different levels. There are the political and the moral issues here and some of you seem to think they are the same thing.

John Denver (My New Hero) is arguing on a moral issue of faith. He is saying that the bible establishes marriage. Which it does. However that is not the point. I was more looking to entice discussion about the legality not the morality of it. Legally the reasons for seeking marriage are numerous and the reasons that civil unions will not suffice obvious.

P.S. Yeah, I am not Mexican.
Well first of all, if you're looking for intense debating, I'd look somewhere else o.0; We're not going to fight like dogs if that's what you're expecting.

What's up with the Mexican...?

Gay love (maybe not marriage) has been going on since the Romans and was thought of then as the purest love of all really. Yes, there were gays when Jesus was around. He didn't smite them, heck Jesus didn't even get married or so we think. I don't mind gay marriage much, it's just putting Parent A and Parent B on a birth certificate...that just bothers me :S

So why deny some people the right to marry?
Catholic Church does that all the time, same sex marriage or not. -o- But I'd not get into that...

EDIT: LMAO. 'Is Gay Marriage Wrong' Banner ontop of this thread XDDDDDD

Ryoutarou
February 25th, 2006, 08:57 PM
What's up with the Mexican...?...did you even read the first post? The thread was about the Mexican president granting gay rights. Unless you're talking about the user title, then hell if I know.

I myself don't mind gay marriages, as long as it's only the legal act. A full blown church gay marriage is just something I wouldn't agree to, there's no reason for a religion to change it's ways now all of a sudden. If people want to get married, fine, let them, just don't let it be a church marriage. I think people prefer calling it a 'union' because the marriage terms did start with Christianity and Judaism. Before then, there really wasn't an established practice for marriage. Most of the time you'd have a daughter being sold or traded off for money or land or cattle. So in that sense, I can see why some people would rather call it a union. I really couldn't care what they called it, it's the same thing.

Otter Mii-kun
February 26th, 2006, 04:48 PM
A full blown church gay marriage is just something I wouldn't agree to, there's no reason for a religion to change it's ways now all of a sudden.I woudn't even call gay marriage "marriage" at all. Totally demeaning to the definition.

Cherrim
February 26th, 2006, 05:00 PM
mar·riage
The legal union of a man and woman as husband and wife.
The state of being married; wedlock.
A common-law marriage.
A union between two persons having the customary but usually not the legal force of marriage: a same-sex marriage.
2. A wedding.
3. A close union: “the most successful marriage of beauty and blood in mainstream comics” (Lloyd Rose).
4. Games. The combination of the king and queen of the same suit, as in pinochle.
Source: Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=marriage)
Marriage is no longer solely a Christian or religious term. Thus saying gay-marriage is contradictory to the word "marriage" is not a valid point. <_<

I agree with Jorge. Legally, I think it should be allowed. But I certainly don't think churches should be forced to perform ceremonies for couples that do not bide by their religious doctrines and faith. (So a Catholic church should not be forced to marry two women or two men because such a marriage is not condoned by its laws, etc.)

Alpham-A-Epsilons
February 26th, 2006, 05:05 PM
What :( He's granting gay marriage in Mexico man thats wrong on so many levels no I dont that should be marriage is only for Men & Women Man I'm so pissed about it It's where I was born In mexico hell now I dont want it to happen especially in my country

Avenging Angel
February 26th, 2006, 06:06 PM
My opinon on gay marriage? Well, I consider it as a sin, but thats my belief.

Alpham-A-Epsilons
February 26th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Right on Avenging Angel so youre Christian anyways why are the gay people and bisexuals its just wrong

Cherrim
February 26th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Right on Avenging Angel so youre Christian anyways why are the gay people and bisexuals its just wrong
...you can't choose your orientation. It just happens that way, for lack of a better term--so why should something be instantaneously labeled "wrong" if the people in question can't even help it? The fact that they like people of the same gender comes naturally to them. I mean, with murderers and the like, they choose their actions. They have the choice as to how to shape their lives and that's how they breech the laws of both nations and religions. However, it hardly seems fair for someone to be "wrong" for something they have no say in. That's like saying people are wrong if they're of a different race--it's how they were born and they can't change it. They don't have that choice.

Hitokiri
February 27th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Ooh, I don't like threads like these. They're always so tense o.o...but I'll try and keep myself civil o_o

...you can't choose your orientation. It just happens that way, for lack of a better term--so why should something be instantaneously labeled "wrong" if the people in question can't even help it? The fact that they like people of the same gender comes naturally to them. I mean, with murderers and the like, they choose their actions. They have the choice as to how to shape their lives and that's how they breech the laws of both nations and religions. However, it hardly seems fair for someone to be "wrong" for something they have no say in. That's like saying people are wrong if they're of a different race--it's how they were born and they can't change it. They don't have that choice.

Well, that's up to be debated o.o;; Though a lot of people say that people are "born gay," I just don't believe this is true. I think people choose to be gay or straight. I don't think there's some "gay gene" that decides your gender. Then why couldn't there be a "murderer gene" or "geek gene" or "athletic gene." I think it also has a lot to do with culture and the changing times. If people were born gay, then why is it that there are suddenly a huge mass of gay people now, unlike 1000 years ago. Shouldn't there have always been this amount of gay people all throughout history?

But, this is just my opnion ^.^;; please don't lock this or ban me or anything T_T

Cherrim
February 27th, 2006, 12:17 PM
If you look back to more ancient civilisations like the Greeks, you'd note that homosexuality was widely accepted at the time. But then, I believe, as the Catholic church later gained power, it was suppressed and condemned, so now society's ideals as a whole are anti-gay. I believe there have always been gay people, the problem is they've just been too scared or too intimidated to be able to come out and admit it. (Note: I'm just going by what I remember here...haven't actually read the facts in a few years so they're probably a little off or something. :x)

As for the born with it thing, well...I still don't believe people choose it because honestly: why would someone choose to be that which society condemns? (The conditions are improving, so I can see some people doing it for attention--I think I know someone claiming to be bi just so that people will think she's cool. <_<) Part of it could be determined just how someone's raised. But then, even that has its decrepancies since people who come from strict Christian families can turn out to be gay too...and growing up as they did, it doesn't seem to make sense. o_O It could be a combination of nature and nurtute, but I truly don't believe that it's purely based on choice. But then, this is kind of a whole other debate, isn't it? XD

Allstories
February 27th, 2006, 12:19 PM
I don't necessarily think that people are born gay, but I don't think that makes it particularly wrong. I think it's like acquiring a taste for a certain food. It's just a preference. You still can't really do anything about it.

Pokedragonfire
February 27th, 2006, 02:11 PM
If you look back to more ancient civilisations like the Greeks, you'd note that homosexuality was widely accepted at the time. But then, I believe, as the Catholic church later gained power, it was suppressed and condemned, so now society's ideals as a whole are anti-gay. I believe there have always been gay people, the problem is they've just been too scared or too intimidated to be able to come out and admit it. (Note: I'm just going by what I remember here...haven't actually read the facts in a few years so they're probably a little off or something. :x)

As for the born with it thing, well...I still don't believe people choose it because honestly: why would someone choose to be that which society condemns? (The conditions are improving, so I can see some people doing it for attention--I think I know someone claiming to be bi just so that people will think she's cool. <_<) Part of it could be determined just how someone's raised. But then, even that has its decrepancies since people who come from strict Christian families can turn out to be gay too...and growing up as they did, it doesn't seem to make sense. o_O It could be a combination of nature and nurtute, but I truly don't believe that it's purely based on choice. But then, this is kind of a whole other debate, isn't it? XD

I don't care how it happens, but people can do whatever makes them happy without doing harm to others. Isn't that in the US constitution or something like that? (I don't know about Mexico.) That's my philosophy. The might be a gene that makes you more likely to be homosexual, even with the brain chemistry aspect, I think probably some of it is being raised or a choice. But I don't know, I'm just guessing, I don't think I know anyone who is homosexual or bisexual. Which I have no problem with, if that's what people want to do. I agree that probably it's coming up more because we have got pretty much all other types of people's rights in the US (again I don't know about Mexico) so now groups who have previously been hiding are coming out more to fight for their beliefs. I figure once we get all the human rights I'm hoping for an animal rights movement that might actually get something done. P:

Kylie-chan
February 27th, 2006, 02:13 PM
No offence, but nothing there supports your argument against same-sex marriage. o_O

Hitokiri
February 27th, 2006, 03:42 PM
No offence, but nothing there supports your argument against same-sex marriage. o_O

Yes huh! The bible says a ton of times that a man must marry a wife. It says husbands and wifes many times in the bible. It not once says husband and husband or wife and wife. It also says that a man must not lie with a man as he does with a woman! o.o;;

Pokedragonfire
February 27th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Why do some people apply their beliefs to everyone? O_o You don't have to be gay if it's against what your beliefs are, but you shouldn't stop other people from doing it as long as it's not doing harm to others. You're not going to change these people's minds and stop them from being gay by being against them so you're not actually saving them from whatever fate the bible has planed for them.

~Ozy~
February 27th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Ooh, I don't like threads like these. They're always so tense o.o...but I'll try and keep myself civil o_o

Well, that's up to be debated o.o;; Though a lot of people say that people are "born gay," I just don't believe this is true. I think people choose to be gay or straight. I don't think there's some "gay gene" that decides your gender. Then why couldn't there be a "murderer gene" or "geek gene" or "athletic gene." I think it also has a lot to do with culture and the changing times. If people were born gay, then why is it that there are suddenly a huge mass of gay people now, unlike 1000 years ago. Shouldn't there have always been this amount of gay people all throughout history?

But, this is just my opnion ^.^;; please don't lock this or ban me or anything T_T

I must respectfully disagree. I did NOT choose in any sense my bisexuality, nor did some event in my childhood shape me. I've just always thought (always being since I hit puberty, at least) that guys can be as attractive as girls, and that I could date them just as easily.

As for the actual issue of gay marriage, my beliefs are simple. Same as straight folks, let them have the legal benifits of marriage through a civil service, and if they want a chgurch service and can find a church willing to provide it, allow that as well. My personal belief is that if I were to be in a homosexual rerlationship that were tu result in marriage, then I wouldn't want to be involved with an organization that had spurned and persecuted me and those like me for the past 2,000 years. That's just me, though, if a church wants to tell me to get out, fine, if they want to marry gay couples, fine, and if a gay couple wants a church wedding, fine. That's not of concern to me. What is of concern is the denial of rights to a minority, when every other individual, regardless of race, religion, national origin, what have you (sexuality aside) can go and get married overnight to any gorram Vegas stripper they please whereas members of this minority, regardless of the committment or length of their relationship cannot even obtain the legal rights of a marriage. That is injustice, plain and simple.

Kylie-chan
February 27th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Yes huh! The bible says a ton of times that a man must marry a wife. It says husbands and wifes many times in the bible. It not once says husband and husband or wife and wife. It also says that a man must not lie with a man as he does with a woman! o.o;;
I'm saying that s/he didn't say anything that supported his/her argument. XD;

Hitokiri
February 28th, 2006, 06:05 AM
I'm saying that s/he didn't say anything that supported his/her argument. XD;

Oh, lol, my mistake...

And ~Ozy~, I believe the constitution does say that a marriage is between a man and woman o.o;;

~Ozy~
February 28th, 2006, 07:02 AM
I never made that point. I stated that an injustice was taking place. Besides, nowhere in the entire text of the U.S. Constitution does it ever specifically state that a marriage is between a man and a woman. The Constitution sets out the laws for governance of the land and the basic rights afforded to the people (via The Bill of Rights). Later amendments too make no mention of homosexual marriage. In neither Constitution notr BoR is homosexual marriage banned. There is a law stating that the federal government cannot legalize homosexual marriage nationwide and delagates that issue to the states (Defense of Marriage Act, signed by President Clinton), however, that act itself violates the Constitution's Full Faith and Credit Clause by annuling a homosexual marriage made in one state if the couple in question moves to another.

Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

Judging by this snippet of text, DoMA is unconstitutional. Furthermore, just to make sure, I went back and reviewed the complete text of the Constitution, it makes no mention of gay marriage. It runs through the procedures of the Legislative, Judicial, and Executive branches, then adresses the rights, privilages and responsibilities of the States, sets the Constitution as the foremost law of the land, Constitutional Amendments, Ratification, then goes onto the actual Amendments. If you want to review it yourself, here's a link: U.S. Constitution (http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.overview.html)

Please review your facts next time, it would be appreciated.

Linoone
March 1st, 2006, 06:45 PM
well, I'm Mexican, and I'm not gay, but I DO think that if gay people want to marry, then let them be, now if it's wrong or right....if there is true love between two men, then it shouldn't be stopped, if there isn't, well, they probably wouldn't marry, many governments say this is wrong, but what's wrong with love?, I mean, as long as they're not publicly having sex they should be allowed to express their feelings, even through marriage

Ryoutarou
March 1st, 2006, 06:55 PM
Yes huh! The bible says a ton of times that a man must marry a wife. It says husbands and wifes many times in the bible. It not once says husband and husband or wife and wife. It also says that a man must not lie with a man as he does with a woman! o.o;;"Man shall not lay with another man..." That's talking about sex, what if a person were to fall in love with another man? Not have sex, but just love a man in the same way a straight man would love a woman? There's nothing about that aspect of it really.

As for "being born gay" I don't believe that at all. A lot of people say that they had no choice in it, and it sometimes may be true, but it has a lot to do with the way you grow up. The people you're around, the type of things that happen where you live, but at the very core, what a person takes in and what they block out does depend on the individual. For instance, take this scenario..."A boy has lived in a small town all his life, the town is openly not supportive of gays. Yet the boy himself doesn't hate gays the way other people do." It does have a lot to do with the way a person is brought up, but it also has a lot to do with what they choose to accept as being right or wrong as opposed to a set of books.

Crucificus
March 1st, 2006, 11:00 PM
The government should not be permitted to practice such prejudice as to disallow homosexual marriage. It is doing no harm to anybody.

Otter Mii-kun
March 2nd, 2006, 02:59 PM
The government should not be permitted to practice such prejudice as to disallow homosexual marriage. It is doing no harm to anybody.But using the media to shove homosexual beliefs down our throats by making us all think it's "oh so great" is doing harm.

~Ozy~
March 2nd, 2006, 03:08 PM
But that is an issue entirely irrelevant to the current discussion. Media portrayal of the gay lifestyle (if the version onscreen can remotely be called that) IS harmful, to both sides of the issue, I agree, but it has little to nothing to do with the legal and moral underpinnings of gay marriage.

Crucificus
March 3rd, 2006, 03:56 PM
There is a difference between allowing gay marriage and the media shoving stuff down our throats. :/

Kura
March 3rd, 2006, 04:14 PM
But using the media to shove homosexual beliefs down our throats by making us all think it's "oh so great" is doing harm.

That's media for you..
o_o But even if we -didn't- accept homosexuality, the media would be shoving heterosexual beliefs down our throats instead.
So bascially either way would be bad according to media perspective.

But that's they way media works. In truth, it's human nature to want to listen about the troubles around the world so our troubles don't seem as bad~ So that's what media focuses on~

So my point to you is, even if society accepted the opposite (dissaproved of homosexuality) they would instead be shoving heterosexuality down our throats, and therefore causing harm to all the homosexual people in the world~

o_o So.. media is bad either way.. it doesn't count in this discussion, really..

Phantom_Bugsy
March 3rd, 2006, 04:24 PM
You say people shove homosexuality down our throats...what about the shows that have men and women making out on it like ALL THE TIME? Soap operas, prime time TV, daytime TV, everything.

Regardless, the media is going to throw sexuality of some kind into things that don't need it. Might as well make it even.

And I have a girlfriend, so obviously I support gay marriage. (I know it says I'm male. But I'd prefer to be male. :D). I'm a major advocate of it actually and homophobes make me sick.

Believe for yourself. Not what some crazy contradictory book tells you, IMO.

Lucifer
March 4th, 2006, 05:44 AM
You say people shove homosexuality down our throats...what about the shows that have men and women making out on it like ALL THE TIME? Soap operas, prime time TV, daytime TV, everything.

That's because heterosexual relationships are widely-accepted, whereas homosexual relationships aren't. And to be quite honest probably never will be. If we still have people around the world who can't accept different skin colours then I don't hold out much hope on the issue of sexuality.

Anyway I don't really care either way. While I don't think there's anything "wrong" with gay marriage, I'm not going to sit here and bleat on about how I think they have the right to be wed, etc etc. Because that's not what I think. I'm not really interested in having an opinion on matters which don't (and never will) affect me. It's just pointless.

Gay marriage legalized = yay?
Gay marriage not legalized = yay?

That's basically the way it is from my POV.

Allstories
March 4th, 2006, 02:56 PM
That's because heterosexual relationships are widely-accepted, whereas homosexual relationships aren't. And to be quite honest probably never will be. If we still have people around the world who can't accept different skin colours then I don't hold out much hope on the issue of sexuality.

Uhh, just because there are some people who are racist, it doesn't mean that racial equality isn't widely accepted. Even if there are people who don't accept homosexuality, I think it's very likely that society as a whole will; eventually at least. Societal norms have a tendency to differ over time more than you may think.

Lie Ren
March 4th, 2006, 11:38 PM
hmmm... I agree, I have feeling that it'll be accepted someday, and I doubt it'll too far off... Granted it IS already banned in certain places, but something tells me it won't stay that way.... --_-- I'm not against it at all, and I dont really see why some people are.... if you dont like it, don't pay any attention to it....

EmberGryphon
March 9th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Whee! One of my favorite topics of debate! (I came in a little late, though. D:)

Okay, first off: in the Bible, it does say that homosexual liasons are sinful. (It also says eating crayfish is sinful, but I'll stop there.) However, running a country based off a religion- especially from the perspective of the US (which is where I'm from), which has no national religious affiliation, a legal differentiation between religious and legal affairs, and has such a broad range of cultures and religions that forcing the entire nation to respect the morals of ONE of them is almost insane. I don't think churches and priests who don't believe in gay marriage should be forced to preform it- and, happily, they can't be forced by the government to do anything, because of the Constitutional seperation of church and state. Civil Unions look like a good idea in the same way that black compartments of trains seemed like a good idea in the '50's- but if Seperate but Equal failed miserably once, I'm reluctant to support the US trying it again. The legal benefits of marriage (as well as the emotional and symbolic benefits that are usually why two people get married) shouldn't be limited to only the majority of citizens. And as long as no church or religion is forced to preform the ceremony, I don't really see the problem. ^^ Aside from some people thinking it's icky.

Loveless_Strawberry
March 10th, 2006, 09:38 AM
i think it is all fine but i'm gay so i think it does lol

9mm
March 10th, 2006, 09:58 AM
I support Gay rights, as a lesbian, I want the right to marry another woman if I choose

Drummershuff
March 11th, 2006, 03:18 AM
Meh, I think its fine. I'm not gay, But everyone is different so I suppose that its fine. Doesn't do anyone else any harm.

Greed
March 12th, 2006, 07:40 PM
As you all know I believe gay marriage should be allowed. Whether you like it or not.

People who are religious zealots piss me off. And I mean -a lot-.

They're being hypocritical. Love isn't about being different genders, its about the frigging feelings.

I don't have a girlfriend or anything because technically, I hate relationships with a passion.

Unfortunately, Mexico does have quite an homophobic upbringing. At least where I come from. People are encouraged to get married at a young age, and are also quite cruel to homosexuals.

But meh, I'm gay so I might just be speaking out because I'm biased and all.

Kim
March 13th, 2006, 09:20 AM
I'm for gay rights, and gay marriage being legal. Though, I wouldn't force a church to call it "marriage," or at least have religion a part of it if it doesn't want to BE a part of it. But they should still have the benefits heterosexual married couples have.

In the United States, we have Seperation of Church and State. Therefore, anything saying 'The Bible says, blah blah" is completely unacceptable. I don't care what your Bible says--I don't follow it, nor does anyone else have to follow it. That's what Seperation of Church and State is all about.

I have a very good male gay friend. How do I have the right, as a straight woman, to tell him "No, sorry, pal, but you can never be legally recognized with your partner because you're gay?" What right does ANYONE have to tell someone to stop doing something if it hurts absolutely NO ONE?

Someone made an issue of "it completely demeans the meaning of marriage." well bucko, is the love between you and your wife now meaningless if Adam and Steve got legally recognized? Do you cease to want your wife sexually, cease to love her, cease to respect her, cease to care for her at all, because 2 people you don't even know and probably will never meet somewhere in another area of the country wed? Why the hell would you CARE enough about something so trivial that you say "it demeans marriage?" Worry about your own marriage.

This world would be a lot better off if everyone just stfu and minded their own business, instead of telling others how to better theirs.

Greed
March 13th, 2006, 12:40 PM
I have to agree with Kim.

Its not fair that a woman that met a man five minutes ago and is allowed to marry him, yet two men who have known eachother in a long time and actually -have feelings- for eachother are not allowed to do so. :/

The world would indeed be better off if religious beliefs weren't so strongly supported. ._.;

Haunter Master
March 14th, 2006, 12:26 AM
hey ya know what they are humaan and need love too no matter if its male or female i support same sex marrige

Red530
March 14th, 2006, 06:14 PM
I'm not against it. I don't think there's anything wrong with homosexuals.

Kim
March 15th, 2006, 08:09 AM
I have to agree with Kim.

Its not fair that a woman that met a man five minutes ago and is allowed to marry him, yet two men who have known eachother in a long time and actually -have feelings- for eachother are not allowed to do so. :/

The world would indeed be better off if religious beliefs weren't so strongly supported. ._.;

Exactly right.

We have seperation of Church and State, but apparnetly it isn't enforced. LIttle seedlings of religion are in a lot of laws and bans and all this other stuff, and it should NOT be. A lot of debates--abortion, marriage, gay-rights, you name it. Religion is usually heavily involved, whereas it should not be. Fact and fiction, not religion, is what matters.

Psycho
March 15th, 2006, 09:35 AM
'Tis elementary to castigate the shoes that one has never promenade in.

So many Straw Man, ad hominem, Appeal to belief, Argumentum ad nauseam, argumentum ad logicam, and Argumentum ad numerum: What a pity of a debate this is.

My predilection on this issue is perceptible, despite my own philosophy, I do opine that religion should not be coerced upon any living being.

However, I have no discomposure for the "love is love" or "gender doesn't matter" arguments, as they are just as dogmatic and nongermane as stating "It is wrong because the Bible says so." Both sides are biased, compelled by their own beliefs and views of love (which has yet to be indefinitely defined precisely), implicating that there is no impartial stance. Calling this a debate any further would be pointless and an insult to debating in general, as neither side will cease to altercate, and the so-called points that have been made are just as partisan - this is more along the lines of "The state your oppinion on Gay Marriage" thread. The only arguments worthy of acknowledgement are "Seperation of Church and State", "Human Rights", and "It is unnatural/natural" (which has yet to be fully verified). Bringing any religious text, as well as your oppinion, into a debate, of this sort, to corroborate one's position is nonsensical and vain, whereas everyone does not live by the same decorum of life as you do and your thesis is not apatheitc or ipso facto.

I have no concern for someone who wishes to be amalgamated to one of coequal gender, considering that there are more importunate affairs that call for my attention. I find this whole matter to be trivial; our bureaucracy's priorities should be re-evaluated, as there are much more crucial problems that they could be focusing on.

In conclusion, whether or not I support gay marriage or deem it to be moral should not matter, as if two people wish to be married then it is not my palaver, nor shall I make it. Outside of religion, factually and by definition, marriage is only a tradition, recognition from the government of a legal union or relationship; not a unification of two amorous individuals, metaphysically and psychologically, sanctioned by God. If two people desire to have apperception of their relationship from the government, then so be it.

Psycho

LelandLancaster
March 15th, 2006, 02:36 PM
My personal belief is that people aren't born like that so it shouldn't be grouped into same discrimination groups like race or gender. So I don't believe that "gay" people should have special rights. Obviously a lot of people don't share this view but hey, you know, people believe different things. It annoys me that there are so many people that claim to be open minded but then can't even try to listen to what the opposing group might think. But, whatever, think what you want.

Allstories
March 15th, 2006, 02:51 PM
It's supposed to be about giving them equal rights, not special rights.

Psycho
March 15th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Technically, they do have equal rights. A homosexual man may venture out and marry any woman of his choice, just as a heterosexual man. However, neither can venture out and marry one of the same-sex; vice versa for women. It could be defined as special rights once taken from that perspective. :\

Psycho

Greed
March 15th, 2006, 06:26 PM
If a woman can marry a man just for fun, then shouldn't I be able to marry another woman just for fun as well? :/

Men and women are both humans why shouldn't they be able to marry even if they're of the same gender?

Marriage is not taken seriously anymore, so there's no point in letting only a man and a woman marry.

Gohan
March 15th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Yay! One of the better debate topics!

I'l start off with the Bible thing.

Okay first of all, not everyone follows the Bible. The book was written a long time ago. And if it's so special, why do they keep re-writing it, if it's so perfect, and blah? I'm Protestant, so I don't really care about the book.

Next, if a man can love a woman, who is another human being, why can't he love a man, who is also a human being? I mean, they just don't think, 'Hey, I like that guy, and since I'm gay, I'll go marry him.'

Most homosexual couples have known each other for a while. They start out as friends, and just cross over that(stupid) imaginary line without noticing. It's just like being friends.

What if Adam didn't end up loving Eve, and fell in love with some other guy? Would we all support homosexual marriage and look down upon heterosexual?

Go Mexico!

It's creepy how some Catholic(sp?) Churches won't wed homosexuals. I mean, doesn't the Bible say we should all be treated as equals? Really, does it? *blank stare*

Wow, we made it this far without it being closed. Miracle, isn't it?

/sarcasm

AuroPervert
March 16th, 2006, 12:07 AM
I think this is a non-issue.

The constitution states that everyone is born with equal rights.

Why should your sexuality take away from those rights?

Kim
March 16th, 2006, 12:59 PM
My personal belief is that people aren't born like that so it shouldn't be grouped into same discrimination groups like race or gender. So I don't believe that "gay" people should have special rights. Obviously a lot of people don't share this view but hey, you know, people believe different things. It annoys me that there are so many people that claim to be open minded but then can't even try to listen to what the opposing group might think. But, whatever, think what you want.

You aren't born with clothes on, but I'm willing to bet you don't live in a nudist colony.

Do you wear make up? Dress up in nice clothes? Wear shoes? Cut your hair? Fingernails?

Greed
March 16th, 2006, 01:06 PM
You aren't born with clothes on, but I'm willing to bet you don't live in a nudist colony.

Do you wear make up? Dress up in nice clothes? Wear shoes? Cut your hair? Fingernails?

Good one. ; )

I am pretty open minded, I'm willing to hear what the other side has to say. It just that I don't see why should they label homosexuals as "wrong" and "immoral".

Its just sad that some people judge others for their preferences.

I honestly also don't really believe in "gays are born gay" stuff. I'm gay myself, but I will admit there were times when I saw a man and thought "d***, he's pretty sexy".

Marriage is a personal decision, it shouldn't be biased on gender only.

Kim
March 16th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Good one. ; )

I am pretty open minded, I'm willing to hear what the other side has to say. It just that I don't see why should they label homosexuals as "wrong" and "immoral".

Its just sad that some people judge others for their preferences.

I honestly also don't really believe in "gays are born gay" stuff. I'm gay myself, but I will admit there were times when I saw a man and thought "d***, he's pretty sexy".

Marriage is a personal decision, it shouldn't be biased on gender only.

Good points yourself. I have bisexual and gay friends who will argue that they are born that way, and some say no, they aren't/weren't/whichever is grammatically correct. I won't tell someone they're lying if they say they were or weren't born like that. And I don't see how people say it goes against nature--many, many, MANY animals are homosexual and/or bisexual. The ancient Romans and Greeks "experimented"...only with the rise of Christianity has it become "bad." WHich should tell us all something.

Greed
March 16th, 2006, 06:35 PM
That reminds me, I have some Christian friends who I actually get along with and they know about my preference. It angers me that some Christians can't be like that too. I mean I don't hit on them or anything, I respect that perhaps their religion doesn't take homosexuality as the most "good" thing in the world. However some christians just see a lesbian/gay and go all like "OMFG! A GAY, I'M GOING TO GET RAPED" and that pisses me off.

Actually there were two members whom were openly lesbian, one was an admin. She was very respectful of others and was a very respectable person.

That goes to show that just because one is gay doesn't label them inmediately.

Hell, in a way, the majority of the population is at least -a little- homosexual. This was proven by Dr. Kinsey too.

@ Kim: I heard a lot about the Greeks as well. Even in their mythiology there were bisexual gods. Take for example Zeus kidnapping Ganymede and making him his sexual partner. The Greeks were quite open to homosexuality, even encouraged it. (:

AuroPervert
March 16th, 2006, 09:40 PM
That reminds me, I have some Christian friends who I actually get along with and they know about my preference. It angers me that some Christians can't be like that too. I mean I don't hit on them or anything, I respect that perhaps their religion doesn't take homosexuality as the most "good" thing in the world. However some christians just see a lesbian/gay and go all like "OMFG! A GAY, I'M GOING TO GET RAPED" and that pisses me off.

Actually there were two members whom were openly lesbian, one was an admin. She was very respectful of others and was a very respectable person.

Hell, in a way, the majority of the population is at least -a little- homosexual. This was proven by Dr. Kinsey too.

@ Kim: I heard a lot about the Greeks as well. Even in their mythiology there were bisexual gods. Take for example Zeus kidnapping Ganymede and making him his sexual partner. The Greeks were quite open to homosexuality, even encouraged it. (:

I'm gay, and all my friends know, and none of them care. I think as we advance further and further it becomes more of a nonissue.

About the Kinsey thing though, I think you should take that with a grain of salt. Kinsey conducted his sexual research in all male prisons, I think that it's safe to say that same sex liasons would occur much more often there than outside with the rest of the world.

Kim
March 17th, 2006, 06:29 AM

Yeah, I know some Christians and Catholics who are open and alright with it. And I know some non-religious people who are against it. My mom is Agnostic, and is highly against gays, and while it's annoying to here her say "The only thing I like about Bush is he's against gay marriage"...I can't and won't change her opinion. It's her opinion--it hurts no one. THe people who take action on that opinion are the harmful ones. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but they need to realize that there are some out there for the better good. It demeans no one's relationship or marriage if we allowed two men or two women to marry. If it does, well, then, that's those person's perogative--not mine, and not any gay couple's.

It's been so many years since I've read Greek mythology, and I don't remember Ganymede, but I do know that throughout the times where Rome was the seat of power, a lot of homosexual, bisexual, and hetereosexual relations occurred. It wasn't a big thing for them. A lot of things we consider taboo today were not in earlier times. Why that is, I don't know, other than some bigwigs in Churches and political positions wanting more control by keeping us away from things someone says are "bad."

Greed
March 17th, 2006, 11:13 AM
@ AuroPervert: He conducted his research on male prisioners? That's new to me, I didn't knew that. I stand corrected then.

@ Kim: In battles homosexuality between men was highly encouraged. They hoped that by this, they would battle harder against their opponents to impress their male companion. I believe that's how it goes.

P.S. My mom's like that as well, so I understand. ::nods::

DragonTrainer
March 22nd, 2006, 06:03 PM
Um, about the greeks encouraging homesexuality, I heard or read somewhere that the only reason they did it is because they saw women too lowly to be with and gloryfied other men as they were far superior to women so it was yes, encouraged because of that.

Kim
March 23rd, 2006, 11:55 AM
Um, about the greeks encouraging homesexuality, I heard or read somewhere that the only reason they did it is because they saw women too lowly to be with and gloryfied other men as they were far superior to women so it was yes, encouraged because of that.

Oh yes, clearly. Tha'ts why they had female goddesses.

And those goddesses enchanted those oh-so-better men.

And women were documented to perform homosexual acts in Greek mythology, too.

Clearly, it was because they thought women were dirt.

Psycho
March 23rd, 2006, 07:32 PM
DragonTrainer, you're not completely inaccurate. The belief that men were superior to women also existed. "Beauty and intellectualism is embodied within young men" was the Greek ideal. The goal of Greek education was for men to aspire mental and physical perfection. Women were seen to be infinitesimal, ancient Greek society was voluminously patriarchal and male dominated. Women were viewed as caretakers, mothers of the men's children, and veritably excluded from public life and intellectual affairs. The fact that women were not seen or treated as equal is indeed a fact.

The earliest accounts of homosexuality can be found in pagan religious practices. During early human history people began to worship many gods; most of which were associated with fertility. Asherah, one of the early gods of the Assyrians, was worshipped as the goddess of fertility. Often the worship of this goddess included orgies and various other sexual practices; they would attempt to supplicate or conciliate Asherah in order to gain fertility for themselves, their tribe, or their clan.

In other areas, such as Rome, Homosexual acts were commited on pagan holidays for celebration. Men would become intoxicated, have sex with each other, and beat/rape the women.

However it wasn't as widely accepted or the social barometer as many people seem to think.

“And whether one makes the observation in earnest or in jest, one certainly should not fail to observe that when male unites with female for procreation the pleasure experienced is held to be due to nature, but it is AGAINST nature when male mates with male or female with female, and that those first guilty of such enormities were impelled by their slavery to pleasure.” Plato Laws 1.636c

“If we were to follow in nature's steps and enact that law which held good before the days of Laius, declaring that it is right to refrain from indulging in the same kind of intercourse with men and boys as with women, and adducing as evidence thereof the nature of wild beasts, and pointing out how male does not touch male for this purpose, since it is unnatural,--in all this we would probably be using an argument neither convincing nor in any way consonant with your States.” Plato Laws 8.836c

“I maintain that our regulation on this head must go forward and proclaim that our citizens must not be worse than fowls and many other animals which are produced in large broods, and which live chaste and celibate lives without sexual intercourse until they arrive at the age for breeding; and when they reach this age they pair off, as instinct moves them, male with female and female with male;” Plato Laws 8.840d
“We might forcibly effect one of two things in this matter of sex-relations,--either that no one should venture to touch any of the noble and freeborn save his own wedded wife, nor sow any unholy and bastard seed in fornication, nor any unnatural and barren seed in sodomy,--or else we should entirely abolish love for males” Plato Laws 8.841d

“When Zeus created humans and their other soul properties, he ingrained them in every human being. However, he left SHAME out. Since he didn’t know where to insert it, he commanded that it (shame) be inserted in the anus. Shame, however, complained about this and was very upset. Since shame was profusely complaining, shame said: “I will only agree to be inserted this way (i.e., in the anus) and whoever is inserted after me, I will come out.” From this day on, may every sexually inclined person who chooses this method be SHAMEFUL!” Aesop’s Fables, Zeus and Aeschyne (Shame)"

become one of the nine archons, nor to discharge the office of priest, nor to act as an advocate for the state, nor shall he hold any office whatsoever, at home or abroad, whether filled by lot or by election; he shall not be sent as a herald; he shall not take part in debate, nor be present at the public sacrifices; when the citizens are wearing garlands, he shall wear none; and he shall not enter within the limits of the place that has been purified for the assembling of the people. Any man who has been convicted of defying these prohibitions pertaining to sexual conduct shall be put to death (Aeschines. "Contra Timarchus," as cited in Georgiades, p. 69).

Debunking the Myth of Homosexuality in Ancient Greece
By Adonis Georgiades

Though, some of you may wish to visit this website (http://www.grecoreport.com/human_relationships.htm).

Psycho

Kim
March 26th, 2006, 02:24 PM
I love how you avoided all the points of my post.

NiNGi
March 26th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Before I give my opinion, may I know whether this is a free-speech-zone or a ningi-stfu kind of environment?

Psycho
March 26th, 2006, 02:52 PM
NiNGi, go ahead and give your opinion at your own discretion.
I love how you avoided all the points of my post.
That wasn't directed at you in particular. There is some truth to what DragonTrainer stated, though he wasn't completely correct. However, I love how you avoided the remainder of my post which basically refuted the whole "Homosexuality was widely accepted in Ancient Greece" argument.

Also, don't worry I wouldn't avoid your so-called points, as I'm ascertain that I could refute them with ease either way - if they aren't obviously fallacious.

Edit:
Heh, I'll make it short 'cause I drank too much beer tonight and can't be bothered to write anything:
Gay people disgust me. I am not the kind of person that respects what I don't like, so I think they should be cruelly killed on sight.

That doesn't include lesbians... Lesbians are hawt, so I've nothing against them. ^___^
That deserves a standing ovation. XD

But seriously if that's your opinion I can live with it, nevertheless, you may want to watch how you say things, as opposed to what you say.

Psycho

NiNGi
March 26th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Heh, I'll make it short 'cause I drank too much beer tonight and can't be bothered to write anything:
Gay people disgust me. I am not the kind of person that respects what I don't like, so I think they should be cruelly killed on sight.

That doesn't include lesbians... Lesbians are hawt, so I've nothing against them. ^___^

Freenaturearts
March 26th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Arnt these the kind of posts that get um... CLOSED Oo;

I myself believe it isint in OUR possision to say what is best for them, hell right now I wanna shoot ningi and where friends!, you wanna like les gals then you need to respect ALL ASPECTS!... I know Rob is ganna say a thing or two that you deserve, but these people do nothing to you and there no different then you and me, Heck if anything where the plague. They just live there life happily and if we want to get political, They came down here to show us how to look past that =/ why wont people like you ever learn..

And why are posts like THAT ^ of ningi alowed, when I try to defend my religion and I get my *** kicked 50 miles and almost banned just from expressing my cares about it all =/ this is severly uncallfor for a thread and I think it really downgrades PC...

Edit: Specialy when I'm a Pagan and I cant defend myself, But oh let us say what *****es are and your all up on us ! X_X This is why I left a few months back, when will you guys just look past the darn race and religion huh?! heck half of you are christans and hypacrits XD If anything your the one doing all the damage, it's not mild people like us =/

Linoone
March 26th, 2006, 03:48 PM

reread what you just posted, then replace the subject gay with your name, did you like it?, of course not, that how gays feel when they read that kind of stuff, I'm not gay, but if I were I'd be gravely offended, I understand that you don't like them, and I'm not saying you should like them, but hating people like that just because they are gay is called immaturity, and I certainly hope that post was because of the beer

Freenaturearts
March 26th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Hey this reminds me, Why the heck was this alowed and yet when I made that post about my religion I was just about kicked out of pc cause everyone Closed my thread and Blocked me? Yeah I know this is random, but you guys here at pc got me good and Pissed and if anything I'm taking this right to steve, ya dont like it. Suck on a lemon...

NiNGi
March 26th, 2006, 04:13 PM
ROFL.
Haha! Freenaturearts makes me rofl so freaking much! XD!!!!
Wow, I even asked for permission before posting... I'm getting too polite! =o

I am not a tolerant kind of person. If I dislike something I say it, and do something about it... I've kicked the **** out of a gay dude just because he was trying it with me... If I had a shotgun, I would have gladly spilled his brains on the wall... <3

Heh, it's a matter of opinion... you might respect them, and I might not. Not a hard concept, is it?

Linoone
March 26th, 2006, 04:17 PM
ROFL.
Haha! Freenaturearts makes me rofl so freaking much! XD!!!!
Wow, I even asked for permission before posting... I'm getting too polite! =o

I am not a tolerant kind of person. If I dislike something I say it, and do something about it... I've kicked the **** out of a gay dude just because he was trying it with me... If I had a shotgun, I would have gladly spilled his brains on the wall... <3

Heh, it's a matter of opinion... you might respect them, and I might not. Not a hard concept, is it?
well, if he was trying to do something to you yeah, like with all people, its just the right of defending yourself, but from that to hating all gays and wanting to kill them...think about it, it's a massive overreaction to a single incident

NiNGi
March 26th, 2006, 04:20 PM
He didn't touch me or anything... just looked at me funny. I knew he was gay because someone told me.

Heh, it's funny to see how people start flaming you as soon as you disagree with them... Freenaturethingy even added me on msn to insult me further...! That made my day. XD

Ryoutarou
March 26th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Christ, does no one see the report button?

Ningi, banned, FNA, warned, thread, locked. having lots of work to do when you should be studying, priceless.