PDA

View Full Version : The spwriter's new sprite thread

Dragonfree
March 23rd, 2006, 01:15 PM
The old one was more than a month old and its title was bad anyway, so meh. I just made this Umbreon.

http://www.dragonflycave.com/images/pixelumbreon.png

It's a pixel-over of a TCG image using R/S colors with shading from scratch. The leg (I'm sure you know which one I'm talking about) looks a bit weird, but I'm going to fix that up a bit now.

Esupio
March 23rd, 2006, 01:17 PM
Awesome Dragonfree, you have amazing skill at spriting and pixel art :P

yeah, I asume your talking about the front right leg? cause it does need to be fixed up.
Show us more :P

Silon
March 23rd, 2006, 01:17 PM
Heh.. I see nothing wrong with the leg. :/ Well, it looks good.. (It would be good with some more shading on it's butt.)

Dragonfree
March 23rd, 2006, 01:41 PM
Leg fixed a bit. I like it much better now.

I know the lack of shading on the back looks a bit awkward, but because the only light source is from below and it's strong light, it's basically all shadow with patches of highlighting. There wouldn't be any lighting there at all, so it's all shadow there. =/ I may add something blacker on there or something...

RLan69
March 23rd, 2006, 02:22 PM
Very nice Umbry sprite! Great shading, and I like the pose.

battlemaster
March 24th, 2006, 02:07 PM
I LOVE IT >.< love the pose, love the shading.....keep it up!

Dragonfree
March 24th, 2006, 07:25 PM
http://www.dragonflycave.com/images/pixeljolteon.png

Fwee, a Jolteon. :3 I'm going to make all the Eeveelutions like this.

Persona
March 24th, 2006, 07:51 PM
wow its really good. cant wait to see all the evolutions ^_^

Esupio
March 25th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Awesome Jolteon :P
I can't wait to see a flareon

Signomi
March 25th, 2006, 03:38 AM
You've done a great job with that Jolteon and Umbreon (I never really saw anything particularly wrong with the shading on the back :/) You're quite the gifted spriter. I found great pleasure in looking at your past works aswell. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the evolutions done ;)

Kurosaki Ichigo
March 25th, 2006, 10:32 AM
*Jaw drops* ZOMG, You are really talented at this Scratch stuff, defiently better than what i did on my Digimon ones ^_^, i would love to see more work from you, Jolteon is my fav of the evolutions.

RLan69
March 25th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Your scrath stuff is great! I'd like to see Flareon next!

Dragonfree
March 25th, 2006, 11:22 AM
I changed the Jolteon's back leg, and you got your wish, RLan69, because I've been working on this Flareon today.

http://www.dragonflycave.com/images/pixelflareon.png

I also tweaked the shading on the Umbreon's right front leg (our left).

Kurosaki Ichigo
March 25th, 2006, 11:23 AM
What i wouldn't give to see Grovyle *falls over dazed*

Persona
March 25th, 2006, 11:24 AM
oooo kool a flareon ^_^ after you do all the evee evolutions, will you just do random pokemon or thats it? :'(

btw...is it possible if we can adopt these? O.o

Kurosaki Ichigo
March 25th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Yeah i was gonna ask the same thing, you really should do a Pixelart Adoption thread that would....ROCK THIS WORLD OF PC lol.

Persona
March 25th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Yeah i was gonna ask the same thing, you really should do a Pixelart Adoption thread that would....ROCK THIS WORLD OF PC lol.

yes very true, she should become a mod in the pixel art forum for this kinda work O.o *claps*

Alpham-A-Epsilons
March 25th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Man youre talented Dragonfree I see no flaws I wish you could do Espeon

DarkGreg
March 25th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Jeez with dragonfree's talent I'd love to see a Blaziken made by her.(She should be a Mod like Signomi)

Kurosaki Ichigo
March 25th, 2006, 11:45 AM
I agree, she should be Mod like Signomi, ^_^

[ Designed Child ]
March 25th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Croc was that a hint? lol requesting something but in a different form of mind?

Signomi
March 25th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Eh, just so you know. Just because one may have the talent in spriting/pixel arting doesn't mean that screams 'mod her'. You should know that aswell as I do.

And try not to go offtopic. Remember to keep every post directed to the artwork, not to anything else.

battlemaster
March 25th, 2006, 11:52 AM
http://www.dragonflycave.com/images/pixeljolteon.png

Fwee, a Jolteon. :3 I'm going to make all the Eeveelutions like this.
now this is AWESOME!!!! i cant wait till you finish the others :)

Persona
March 25th, 2006, 11:54 AM
now this is AWESOME!!!! i cant wait till you finish the others :)

ya i agree, the jolteon is my most fovourite out of all of them.

EgiFuX
March 25th, 2006, 11:56 AM
cool eevees
btw what program are you using

Dragonfree
March 25th, 2006, 03:50 PM
o_O;;; Umm... o-kay...

I'm going to do Espeon next and then Vaporeon.

after you do all the evee evolutions, will you just do random pokemon or thats it?
I'll just be doing whatever Pokémon I feel would look good, really. I originally did the Umbreon just because I saw it on somebody's banner and adored the pose so much that I just had to make a pixel-over of it.

btw what program are you using
Adobe ImageReady 3.0.

Persona
March 25th, 2006, 03:52 PM
o_O;;; Umm... o-kay...

I'm going to do Espeon next and then Vaporeon.

I'll just be doing whatever Pokémon I feel would look good, really. I originally did the Umbreon just because I saw it on somebody's banner and adored the pose so much that I just had to make a pixel-over of it.

Adobe ImageReady 3.0.

wow thats the program? kool,...can i adopt the jolteon (i'll give credit) if not i understand. btw, are you working on a vaporeon now?

Chibi Pika
March 25th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Wow. Pretty darn cool. I like the Jolteon better than the Umberon--something about the shading on the spikes is just so attractive. ^^;;; The lef ear looks kinda odd though, IMO. Not sure how, maybe it's the shape--I think it would look better with a spike on the bottom like the right ear. The eyes keep bugging me. I think it's the positioning of the gleam.

Now, as for Umbreon, the eyes look too big, but that could just be stylization. The lightest shade looks too light though, it doesn't seem to fit quite right. Also I don't think the outline on the inside of the ring on the hind leg should be there, since there isn't one on any of the other rings. Still, they're both very nice.
Silverwing: Wow, Chibi. You just criticized someone who's better than you at all of your hobbies. XP
>>

I look forward to seeing more. ^^

~Chibi~

Dragonfree
March 25th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Umm, I'm not into adoption stuff... but meh, if you want. Just put that I made it on there.

I don't think the outline on the inside of the ring on the hind leg should be there, since there isn't one on any of the other rings.
><;; I accidentally left that on... When I drew the outline, I outlined the rings and just removed the outline when I colored it. Looks like I forgot to remove it there. Will be fixed.

Silverwing: Wow, Chibi. You just criticized someone who's better than you at all of your hobbies. XP
At least you're not writing fics involving legendary fusions called Molzapart and Rainteicune. :P

Persona
March 25th, 2006, 08:06 PM
kool, thank... i will. are these hard for you to make?

~JapaneseWolf
March 26th, 2006, 12:46 AM
wow... there so kawaii!!!!! i wish i could do things like that.

Tsugaru
March 26th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Wow dragon free! you are good at these..You use image ready?...isnt that a animation program?...anyway well done cant wait to see more!

Dragonfree
March 26th, 2006, 07:42 AM
are these hard for you to make?
Depends. The big ones do take a lot of time, but most of the difficulty is when I land on a Pokémon that's hard to shade. Flareon was very hard to shade in the official style at this size, for example, so I had to do a completely different style from the official style and make the middle shade look more like a transition between the highlighting and the shadow color. And Umbreon is normally very hard to shade, although this strong light source made it easier. This Jolteon probably has the best spike shading I've ever done...

The f in my name isn't capitalized, by the way.

You use image ready?...isnt that a animation program?
It can animate, yes, but that's just a small part of what it can do. It's bundled with Photoshop and the main difference is that it's more designed for web graphics (always saves in 72dpi resolution, more designed to make it easy to save something web-optimized, can animate images, etc.). I use ImageReady over Paint because Paint has no layers, and ImageReady over Photoshop because Photoshop likes to decide that I must be intending to make a straight line whenever I use the pencil tool unless I'm moving it pronouncedly diagonally.

Persona
March 26th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Depends. The big ones do take a lot of time, but most of the difficulty is when I land on a Pokémon that's hard to shade. Flareon was very hard to shade in the official style at this size, for example, so I had to do a completely different style from the official style and make the middle shade look more like a transition between the highlighting and the shadow color. And Umbreon is normally very hard to shade, although this strong light source made it easier. This Jolteon probably has the best spike shading I've ever done...

The f in my name isn't capitalized, by the way.

It can animate, yes, but that's just a small part of what it can do. It's bundled with Photoshop and the main difference is that it's more designed for web graphics (always saves in 72dpi resolution, more designed to make it easy to save something web-optimized, can animate images, etc.). I use ImageReady over Paint because Paint has no layers, and ImageReady over Photoshop because Photoshop likes to decide that I must be intending to make a straight line whenever I use the pencil tool unless I'm moving it pronouncedly diagonally.

yes i agree that jolteon was your best, thats why i asked if i could adopt it =P

Frostfur
March 26th, 2006, 08:27 AM
AHHH! Dragonfree! so cute! i cant wait for Espeon and Vaporeon! r u gonna do an Eevee too?

Dragonfree
April 6th, 2006, 02:21 PM
http://www.dragonflycave.com/images/pixelespeon.png
Yay, next Eon in the series. I did the "base color blends between highlighting and shadow color" technique again. It's funny how some shading techniques that look fine on 64x64 sprites look horrid on larger pieces and force you to do it differently...

http://www.dragonflycave.com/images/staryucrystal.png
Crystal version Staryu made for a challenge.

Dragonfree
April 11th, 2006, 05:29 PM
http://www.dragonflycave.com/images/wingedgrovyle.png

Kendar the Grovyle, from Psychic's fanfic. Well, technically, it's a remake of an older sprite I made that was just a winged Grovyle, but that one inspired Psychic to create the character and now nobody may use the sprite because by now it's become a sprite of her character, not the character a character made after my sprite. If that made any sense.

~JapaneseWolf
April 11th, 2006, 09:52 PM
awww, that espeon is so kawaii, your an awesome spriter but not to be mean but i see that your shading technique is different to normal shading but simalar to the umbreon, how do you get that shading?

Belzeebub
April 11th, 2006, 11:18 PM
This is amazing :o!
I wish I could do that... Maybe I will... Youv'e inspired me now :)
You're really good at this and I really love your art. I personally loves the Umbreon and the Jolteon the most. Can't wait to see Vaporeon. I wish I had your talent. Keep it up ;D

Haunter Master
April 11th, 2006, 11:39 PM
hey dragonfree what about eevee the most important of the eeveeloutions because without eevee there would be no eeveeloutins

Dragonfree
April 12th, 2006, 10:06 AM
awww, that espeon is so kawaii, your an awesome spriter but not to be mean but i see that your shading technique is different to normal shading but simalar to the umbreon, how do you get that shading?
Basically, instead of using a lot of the shadow color, a lot of the base color and some of the highlight color, I use a lot of the shadow color, just a tiny bit of the base color and a lot of the highlight color.

As for Eevee, I might make one if I find an interesting pose.

Silverwing
April 12th, 2006, 04:36 PM
OMG that Espeon and Flareon are awesome! *drools* I wish I had your talent at scratch spriting! I would love to see a Vaporeon done! :D

Dragonfree
April 13th, 2006, 11:22 AM
http://www.dragonflycave.com/quilavaavatar.gif

I recently remade that - it's a Gold version Quilava revamp that I animated. Ignore the "Dragonfree" on the bottom of it. I'm using it as an avatar on another forum.

Kurosaki Ichigo
April 13th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Very true, you should try doing Onixeon, my Rock Evolution that would look intresting, but Grovyle would still kick ***.

Dragonfree
April 13th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Very true, you should try doing Onixeon, my Rock Evolution that would look intresting, but Grovyle would still kick ***.
These are pixel-overs of existing art, meaning that unless you can provide me with a picture of it, I can't do your fake Pokémon. :/

I can technically make scratch sprites, but they very, very rarely turn out good. I'm not good enough at drawing for that.

MegaFuz
April 13th, 2006, 01:08 PM
As always, beautiful, beautiful work Dragonfree. Just keep it up. XD

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
April 13th, 2006, 02:29 PM
I really love your winged Grovyle and yor eevolution

:t003:Dark Venusaur

JBCBlank
April 15th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Know what... I think I might have just the pose for eevee that you'll like, I'll look threw my drawings, find it, and post it, so that you can use it.. as for more eevee evos... I have a ton... think you might like a challange Dragonfree?

Dragonfree
April 17th, 2006, 06:36 PM
What sort of "challenge"?

JBCBlank
April 17th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Well I have alot of really good Eevee evos. and they're just waiting for a good spriter to bring them to life. Also... I think you and I would make the best team for a Sprit comic, I'm good at making killer story's and you can help me bring them to life. What do you say...? you can say no you know...

~JBCBlank

~\"Metal Sonic"/~
April 17th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Keczilla's back in action!

Now...
All of your sprites are teh |D\/\//\/z0rZ (Pwnzorz.) I have no Crits: Your sprites are the equivelent of Godly sprites.
Now...
Heres a suggestion: After you're done with eeveelitions, why not do some of your fake pokemon, like the Leta Evo line, or the legendaries from The Quest for thr Legends?
Or Nidokingu. XD
Peace out!
~\"Metal Sonic"?~
AKA Keczilla
AAKA General Keczilla

Dragonfree
April 18th, 2006, 05:49 AM
I'll say it again, I do pixel-overs, not scratch sprites. I'd do scratch sprites if I were actually any good at drawing, which I'm not. I can shade and outline, but I can't draw. I absolutely adore my Scorplack, exactly because it's a sprite that's completely from scratch and it still looks just how I wanted it. Only one in a hundred drawings I make turns out looking anything at all like I wanted it, and only one in ten of them still looks good when I look at it again a while later. If I were any good at getting shapes and anatomy like I want them on my first try, I'd only be making scratch sprites. The case is that I'm not, and that's that.

Zephyr+
April 18th, 2006, 06:43 AM
I bet if you practiced scratching, you'd get really good. I've seen your Leta line scratches. They're awesomely done and they look genuine Nintendo-quality. Your sprites never fail to astound me, though. Awesome work. Simply awesome. ^^

dude256
April 18th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Oh wow, these are great sprites (big too) Your initial sprite (black one with yellow circles) is fantastic, I'm only familiar with blue/red/yellow saphire/ruby/emerald so I dont know where some of these pokemon are from =(

Again lovely job with these.

~Icestar~
April 24th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Oh! So cute! I love your Umbreon! I wish I wuz that good...btw do you know how to do it on MS paint cuz your tutor just makes mine look blocky... see?http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/Shadowumbreoncat/PixeloverEevee.gif So if you've got tips or something please PM me. i'm desperate to make Pixel-overs that look good. Maybe they should be bigger or what? Plus my parents would get REAL mad at me if I even asked for Imageready so ya, see what you can do. If it's not possible without the blocks, thats fine, I'll just make it bigger. Plus if not for your guide i wouldn't be such a good spriter. Go ter the link in my sig, if ya'd like, and check the site out.

JBCBlank
April 25th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Oh wow, these are great sprites (big too) Your initial sprite (black one with yellow circles) is fantastic, I'm only familiar with blue/red/yellow saphire/ruby/emerald so I dont know where some of these pokemon are from =(

Again lovely job with these.

It's an Umbreon... Dark evo. of Eevee... *smiles* I still love them Dragonfree!

~JBCBlank

Dragonfree
April 26th, 2006, 03:52 PM
http://www.dragonflycave.com/images/chalenor.png

This is Chalenor from my fic, and at the moment he is angry, but his markings look better green than red so I made them green even though they're supposed to be red when he's angry.

Shadowumbreon, your Eevee looks fine for a beginner. It's not Paint's fault. You just need a bit more practice.

dude256
April 26th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Nice pic Dragonfree, pose is pretty cool, but it seems like its < shoulder is broken (maybe that arm should be 5px higher or so...or perhaps its torso is tilting down a bit?) I love its design alot, black kitties with neon glowing emblems/runes/horns are cool XD.

Shadow Grovyle
April 26th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Those are so good! I wish I could make one like those, but good work! they are so Kawaii!

Gary, the Magic Fairy
April 26th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Wow, they're really good, I especially like Chalenor(Your right, green does look better that red would)

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
April 28th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Nice Chaleor Dragonfree. I really like it. I like how it has spikes on its body.

:t003:Dark Venusaur

aocom
April 29th, 2006, 03:05 PM
All of them are great, as usual. The only one that bothers me is Espeon... The lightest shade looks way too pale ><;

maxxa
April 30th, 2006, 02:02 AM
as i said on pfu great!!! i love all your work i tried a pichu but i failed then i tried porygon but again failed ill try again later

Octillery
May 12th, 2006, 01:03 AM
I honestly can't wait for the vaporeon! The favourite at the moment would be Jolteon then Espeon,Flareon,Umbreon. The Umbreon has something about it I think looks wierd but I can't find out what. Keep up the good work anyway!

Octillery:t224:

chao_lover
May 13th, 2006, 10:25 AM
I changed the Jolteon's back leg, and you got your wish, RLan69, because I've been working on this Flareon today.

http://www.dragonflycave.com/images/pixelflareon.png

I also tweaked the shading on the Umbreon's right front leg (our left).

this is really good! i likey! great shading,scratch,great outline and stuff!!

Olan14
May 14th, 2006, 04:58 PM
You did really good with the pixel art! =) I hope to see a pixel art of more pokemon.

Sleepless Shadows
May 15th, 2006, 01:08 AM
You are really good at doing pixel art its great i hope you had fun doing them because your great at it no lie..! ^_~

PokemonEbony&Ivory
May 21st, 2006, 06:01 AM
Hey, these are so good! I LOVE the Espeon and Flareon! The Flareons face looks a bit bare, however. Will you do a Mew one?

Desgardes
May 21st, 2006, 08:32 AM
Nice pixel-overs :P
Pose and posture are grand, but flareon could use some more contrast(darker shades) on its tail.
And thats about it.

Hantsuki
May 21st, 2006, 08:46 AM
I love your Umbreon! *glomps it* ^^; Your sprites are so kawaii, I don't see anything wrong with them to tell you the truth. Maybe there are a few areas where you can shade a bit better, but otherwise it's cool. Your Chalenor sprite is awesome! It's neat and creative looking :3 Keep up the great work!

Dragonfree
May 29th, 2006, 06:53 PM
http://www.dragonflycave.com/images/gengaryellow.png
A remade Yellow version Gengar revamp, made for a re-spriter test at PMF. Haven't been spriting much lately - too busy with my new forums.

~\"Metal Sonic"/~
May 30th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Wow! I really like it! It's face and eyes are <Insert new and hip complement here> and the shading is so <Insert new and hip complement here>! It looks really good.

BTW:
1.How's TF and Salazard? Tell them I say hi! XD
2. Who's the new admin and why is Nidokingu's account deactivated?
3. Why are you working on a new forum?

Kingdom
May 31st, 2006, 10:29 AM
I love the Jolteon, it looks like it could be an official picture.
I like how you use the black outlines, it's really hard to get them right. Great work!

natesand17
May 31st, 2006, 03:56 PM
wow you make some great sprites i especially like the flareon and espeon

sv-lucia-sv
June 1st, 2006, 04:46 AM
cant wait till u hav dun the rest hunni.the flareon was fantastic!

Dragonfree
June 2nd, 2006, 10:19 AM
BTW:
1.How's TF and Salazard? Tell them I say hi! XD
2. Who's the new admin and why is Nidokingu's account deactivated?
3. Why are you working on a new forum?
1. They're fine to my knowledge. I'll tell them hi from you if I get the chance.
2. Nidokingu got all emo a while ago and decided to leave the forums so he deleted his account. Naturally, a couple of hours later he wasn't so emo anymore and made a new account. He then changed his name to Fluffy Gryphon a couple of months ago because he's obsessed with gryphons now. So yeah. There's no new admin; just him with a new name. XD
3. Because I wanted a forum hosted on my own server without advertisements and which I could install hacks on. I bought vBulletin, the software that Pokécommunity runs on, and the new forums are most likely opening today. :) You can register...

Everybody else: Thanks for the comments.

~\"Metal Sonic"/~
June 2nd, 2006, 03:44 PM
1. They're fine to my knowledge. I'll tell them hi from you if I get the chance.
2. Nidokingu got all emo a while ago and decided to leave the forums so he deleted his account. Naturally, a couple of hours later he wasn't so emo anymore and made a new account. He then changed his name to Fluffy Gryphon a couple of months ago because he's obsessed with gryphons now. So yeah. There's no new admin; just him with a new name. XD
3. Because I wanted a forum hosted on my own server without advertisements and which I could install hacks on. I bought vBulletin, the software that Pokécommunity runs on, and the new forums are most likely opening today. :) You can register...

Everybody else: Thanks for the comments.

... You mean it? You swear-to-god mean it?
*jumps up in the air, screams in joy, and then cries* I've beem waiting to hear that for so long! Thank you X Numbers not known by man (and woman.) I can finally get the chance to tell everbody how sorry I am, and show them the new me!

My Mom says she'll think about it, so I might join!

Thankyouthankyouthankyou!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, what sprite are you planning on making once the forums are done? I'm dying to find out what your next invention is!

~ The Big K

(On your forums, soon to be "M.G.R Keczilla")

Dragonfree
June 2nd, 2006, 07:45 PM
Well, now the forums are up, and my next spriting project will probably be a Silver version Seaking revamp for a challenge, followed by that Vaporeon I've still yet to do.

Dragonfree
August 30th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Yay for bumping an ancient sprite thread because I haven't been doing anything lately.

http://www.dragonflycave.com/images/pixelvaporeon.png

Yup, it's the last of the Eeveelution card pixel-over series. Might do Eevee.

StarBurst
August 30th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Hey Dragonfree, your stuff is really impressive. :D

Is there any chance you could do Tyranitar?

I've noticed while there's quite a few Tyranitar's around the net, none of them comes close to doing him justice. =\

But with your skill, I think you could do it easily. ^_^

Dragonfree
October 6th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Um, I just figured I might as well post this here, although not a lot of it is mine. o.o

http://www.dragonflycave.com/dpbutterfree.gif

aka my current avatar.

Basically, the two frames of the female D/P Butterfree animated together in a manner reminiscent of the Crystal animation... all I really did was animate it and make the mouth move, but hey.

Signomi
October 6th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Sorry Dragonfree, but I'm afraid you shouldn't have left this thread to be revived after 30 days from the last post, then it's Thread Revival.

However, you're welcome to make another showcase thread if you wish.

~Closed