PDA

View Full Version : High oil prices here to stay

Otter Mii-kun
April 21st, 2006, 01:16 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12408007/
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12417998/
As if we aren't already paying enough for gasoline and diesel-Iran says we should be paying more! I bet our politically correct pro-globalist stooges would be saying the same thing!

-ottermi619-
It's because the entire Islamic world of the Middle East believes we never pay enough money for oil. Never have, never will.

parallelzero
April 21st, 2006, 08:06 PM
Something good that I hope to come of these high prices is the idea of more people using alternate energy sources, especially when it comes to cars and that sort of thing. Global warming is an issue right now, despite whether or not a government says it isn't. Cutting back on gas and oil will probably help the good cause.

Sammi
April 21st, 2006, 10:26 PM
People in the States get gas cheap, compaired to people in Europe. It's much more expensive over here than the States. Last time I heard, it's about $6 a gallon or so in Germany, and that's about half of even the higest prices in the states.
So, I wouldn't be complaining about it. People in the US are more lucky than they think. :/

Tsugaru
April 22nd, 2006, 12:07 AM
Well South Africa have the highest petrol rates in the world><Its a fact and it went up by 55c a liter which is really expensive...and It so stupid

Drifblim
April 22nd, 2006, 03:52 AM
If I didn't know better I'd say Ahmadinejad is just trying to wangle money into the nuclear programme in Iran.

I remember reading about a gas station in Brooklyn that charged $4.14 at the cheapest, but when the Daily News got out with it the owner swiftly changed the prices.

enyce
April 23rd, 2006, 12:14 AM
In a few years, I hope america runs its vehicles on other things besides oil. In south america in the spanish countries. Their people run their cars on corn oil. The vehicles run just fine. This is what america needs to do. But since Bush makes a living off of oil. This will not happen any time soon. And if our next president is an ass like Bush. We're pretty much screwed

Genesee Avenue
April 23rd, 2006, 02:18 PM
In a few years, I hope america runs its vehicles on other things besides oil. In south america in the spanish countries. Their people run their cars on corn oil. The vehicles run just fine. This is what america needs to do. But since Bush makes a living off of oil. This will not happen any time soon. And if our next president is an ass like Bush. We're pretty much screwed
I fear that we may yet get ANOTHER war mongering oil fascist in the White House for 2009! Will this never end!??

Didn't Shrubster himself say in the State of the Union (crap) about supporting the development of alternative energy? Another lie exposed! I wouldn't trust him to lead us in alternative fuels development any more than I should be made to believe that Saudi Arabia and their regime are our (supposed) "friends"

Soul Eater
April 23rd, 2006, 02:23 PM
For one thing Gas and Oil are two different things, second....This shouldnt be discussed because it might probly turn into a political issue. DX But I really have no say in that so I'll leave it alone. =x

Drifblim
April 23rd, 2006, 04:35 PM
In a few years, I hope america runs its vehicles on other things besides oil. In south america in the spanish countries. Their people run their cars on corn oil. The vehicles run just fine. This is what america needs to do. But since Bush makes a living off of oil. This will not happen any time soon. And if our next president is an ass like Bush. We're pretty much screwedNo, it won't make a difference. The corn for ethanol is scarcer than oil is and countries aren't as willing to export it for obvious reasons. And by converting to ethanol some gas stations have actually had to shut down. This means it's nowhere near as cost-effective to use ethanol now.

Naminé
April 23rd, 2006, 05:05 PM
Cost effectiveness is the reason why no countries run alternative energy source except for gas in Naminé's unimportant and inaccurate opinion. The effective use of money is far too important compare to the other "minor" advantages, such as the environment.

Naminé thought that gas and oil are from the same source, but the two are in different states of matters. She always saw them as substances that are similar enough to be identical. Guess that she should stop falling asleep in class~

Otter Mii-kun
April 24th, 2006, 04:22 AM
I fear that we may yet get ANOTHER war mongering oil fascist in the White House for 2009! Will this never end!??

Didn't Shrubster himself say in the State of the Union (crap) about supporting the development of alternative energy? Another lie exposed! I wouldn't trust him to lead us in alternative fuels development any more than I should be made to believe that Saudi Arabia and their regime are our (supposed) "friends"
I'm seriously thinking about hauling my butt out of this increasingly ridiculous country if that ever happens!

singapore
April 24th, 2006, 05:18 AM
I agree with sammy, in europe gas is a lot more expensive, especially in the time arround easter. In terms of alternative energy sources, germany makes intensive use of wind power stations. Unfortunately there are nearly no alternatives to a gas-engined car right now :(
As for oil debates concerning iran and iraq, I personally dont care about the oilt there, but I pray something will happen before the iraq can research nuclear weapons :\

Chase Leader
April 24th, 2006, 06:25 PM
To quote Bush, "America is addicted to oil" the reason mainly because unlike Brazil, we may have some corn ethonal, but we have cars that aren't flex-fuel and that is a problem because with in 3 to 4 years we will be out of gas or pretty close, meaning that gas could be charged at un-realistic prices... and its already getting bad by the end of this year here in Minnesota gas prices will be around FOUR DOLLARS per gallon!!!!

But car manufactures like Ford and GM are already in trouble if they don't come up with a plan for the future... America is obsessed with power, meaning more powerful cars with less and less miles per gallon...Like SUV's and some Trucks, and we can't forget the HUMMER...

GO TOYOTA you have the right idea, you will lead the wave in ethonal flex-fuel cars I just know it. One more thing next year Brazil hopes to be oil independent meaning if something happens in IRAQ they will continue living their lives like nothing happened...think about change needs to happen now.

singapore
April 25th, 2006, 05:47 AM
To quote Bush, "America is addicted to oil" the reason mainly because unlike Brazil, we may have some corn ethonal, but we have cars that aren't flex-fuel and that is a problem because with in 3 to 4 years we will be out of gas or pretty close, meaning that gas could be charged at un-realistic prices... and its already getting bad by the end of this year here in Minnesota gas prices will be around FOUR DOLLARS per gallon!!!!

But car manufactures like Ford and GM are already in trouble if they don't come up with a plan for the future... America is obsessed with power, meaning more powerful cars with less and less miles per gallon...Like SUV's and some Trucks, and we can't forget the HUMMER...

GO TOYOTA you have the right idea, you will lead the wave in ethonal flex-fuel cars I just know it. One more thing next year Brazil hopes to be oil independent meaning if something happens in IRAQ they will continue living their lives like nothing happened...think about change needs to happen now.

right now the prices in germany are:
1 liter = 3,78 gallons
1 liter = 1,3 euro
~5 euro per gallon
1 EUR = 1,2422 USD
=>~6,2 dollar per gallon and I believe it will become even more ridiculous :(
I hope more Car manufactures will change their mind and focus on low miles per galon/kilometers per liter, and on gas (the gaseous stuff) powered vehicles as well.

Otter Mii-kun
April 27th, 2006, 04:56 PM
To quote Bush, "America is addicted to oil" the reason mainly because unlike Brazil, we may have some corn ethonal, but we have cars that aren't flex-fuel and that is a problem because with in 3 to 4 years we will be out of gas or pretty close, meaning that gas could be charged at un-realistic prices... and its already getting bad by the end of this year here in Minnesota gas prices will be around FOUR DOLLARS per gallon!!!!I predict as high as $10 per gallon by the 2008 elections. They may stay that high FOR PERMANENT if we get another warmonger or oil fascist in the White House!

You can also thank our Republicrat government for stifiling near to death development of alternative fuels that we so desperately need now! It doesn't help either that the cronies in the White House back Big Oil and their massive profits, plus their diplomatic relations with Saudi Arabia and other Islamic regimes that export oil. I wouldn't be suprised if our politicians would like to align prices with those in Europe! :<

-ottermi619-
Or this could all be yet more having to "compete in the global marketplace" bullcrap.

poke lover
April 27th, 2006, 05:07 PM
The price of petrol here in Australia is just getting out of hand. In Sydney the price per litre rose to $1.45. Now that just insane. The main reason thats happening here in Australia is becasue the government has handed power to the oil dealers and they can set the price to what ever they want (its not regulated by the government anymore).
This is really making me mad becasue il be getting my lisense in about a year and the oil prices are said to just keep soaring.

Toothache
May 2nd, 2006, 03:29 AM
Here in the UK, things are just as slow to move away from oil onto alternative fuels. There's about one petrol station right now in the whole country that sells ethanol, and ethanol cars are on the way, though they'll take a few years to appear and even longer to be economically viable.

What I don't get is, we have the technology to abandon oil completely. There's wind power, wave power, solar, hydro-electric has been used for years, and people are going back to coal again (though the price of coal is increasing as the demand does). There's a huge demand of houses in the UK, and new houses are being build all the time, but still using the old infrastructure (gas pipes, water drainage etc). If the new houses were installed with solar panels and water butts, it would be a hell of a lot cheaper, both for the energy bill cost, and for the environment.

This is one of those topics I could go on about all day. So I'll stop for now.

C Sherbii S
May 2nd, 2006, 12:18 PM
I am willing to bet that the majority of people on this forum don't have their drivers license, so they don't even have to pay for gasoline. I do, and let me tell you , it ISN'T THAT BAD! When you put things in perspective we are paying cheap for gas, and we were just spoiled by cheap prices for so many years.
President Bush isn't to blame for the price of oil, although he seems to be a very common scapegoat for many problems that people have.

The truth is that if you just stop believing everything mommy and daddy tell you and maybe you do some research on your own, you will know that the President isn't a "fascist" or whatever you uneducated people are calling him.

Haruka
May 2nd, 2006, 01:02 PM
My parents are like paying 2.99 for gas in New Jersey, which is really expensive. I think the USA needs to seek another alternative fuels like ethnol instead relying on oil. If the US don't stop it's oil addiction, the prices of gas will go higher and soon we won't be able to go anywhere because gas is too expensive.

Naminé
May 2nd, 2006, 01:37 PM
According to what Naminé understands about ethanol, isn't it more expensive to rely on ethanol than oil for the meantime? Naminé thinks that although it cost less to produce alcoholic fuel such as ethanol from agriculture like corn (isn't it called biomass or something? Naminé fell asleep in chemistry class so she doesn't remember it too well.), they are only available in the summer season to be produced, and they require a lot of time. Farmers need to grow the crops and then convert it to a usable fuel, while oil requires a much less processing time. There is also the problem to Naminé that farmers may see this alternate fuel as more profitable than traditional agriculture for food production, and that may upset the balance for food and so on~ Perhaps a decade later, the car industry will find some more economic way to produce engines that rely on alcoholic fuel, and maybe a balance can be reached about the processing/food problems for farmers too~

It's all a confusing mess for Naminé that she will never understand. As for the meantime, Naminé shall not even bother with her learner license even though she could get it a year ago. She isn't looking forward to the high oil price and the car insurance cost at all~

Kalylia
May 2nd, 2006, 01:44 PM
Gas is expensive, and people all over say things along the lines of "walk" or "carpool", and sure, that's great in the city. Heck, you can take the light-rail and all sorts of things in a city. Or, a big city...

Where I'm from, there's at least 10 miles between every city, and most of the people don't live in the cities, but in rural areas on farms. I live 18 miles away from my school and my extra-curricular activities bar me from carpooling with my mother. All of my friends share the same fate as me, though I'm the farthest from town. It's almost impossible to keep going to school and stay in my activities with gas as high as it is. (Almost $3 a gallon here)

SOmething needs to happen. As to what, I couldn't tell you. I'm thinking that we need to become more efficient in producing gasoline or pray for ethynol costs to go down. Either that or pray that electric cars become more feasable quick...

Maybe I can start riding horse to school... *is being totally sarcastic*

Drifblim
May 2nd, 2006, 05:41 PM
According to what Naminé understands about ethanol, isn't it more expensive to rely on ethanol than oil for the meantime? Naminé thinks that although it cost less to produce alcoholic fuel such as ethanol from agriculture like corn (isn't it called biomass or something? Naminé fell asleep in chemistry class so she doesn't remember it too well.), they are only available in the summer season to be produced, and they require a lot of time. Farmers need to grow the crops and then convert it to a usable fuel, while oil requires a much less processing time. There is also the problem to Naminé that farmers may see this alternate fuel as more profitable than traditional agriculture for food production, and that may upset the balance for food and so on~ Perhaps a decade later, the car industry will find some more economic way to produce engines that rely on alcoholic fuel, and maybe a balance can be reached about the processing/food problems for farmers too~Right on the button. Ethanol is only compunding the problem, unless we can get artificial compounds. Aha — instead of looking to ethanol, why don't we create our own new fuel in the labs instead of drilling for oil, and solve both our gas problem and the social problems in the Middle East in one go?

Chase Leader
May 2nd, 2006, 07:48 PM
Easier said than done...HELLO BRAZIL HAS AN OCEAN FULL OF SUGAR CANE...SUGAR CANE ETHONAL...ethonal is good for the enviroment...they have tons of it...which means they could sell it to us for cheap...or at least cheaper than oil...the problem is that most cars can't run on ethonal..it will ruin their cars...some people can't afford cars...which is bad...and the first thing to go will be airplanes...We simply don't have time to instantly make an artifical substance...Oil will run out with in 3-5 years!!! Right now we have ETHONAL...I don't see where we have any choice.

Naminé
May 3rd, 2006, 12:11 AM
Easier said than done...HELLO BRAZIL HAS AN OCEAN FULL OF SUGAR CANE...SUGAR CANE ETHONAL...ethonal is good for the enviroment...they have tons of it...which means they could sell it to us for cheap...or at least cheaper than oil...the problem is that most cars can't run on ethonal..it will ruin their cars...some people can't afford cars...which is bad...and the first thing to go will be airplanes...We simply don't have time to instantly make an artifical substance...Oil will run out with in 3-5 years!!! Right now we have ETHONAL...I don't see where we have any choice.

Naminé knows why~ Mr. Chase Leader can always throw in ethanol into the car engines and witness how the car engine go all squishy like a mush (or some other way to break down.) Plus, Brazil is probably too busy trying to cut down their rainforest (which they can make 80 dollars per hectar out of from selling fruits/wild herbs) in order to make more cows for McDonald to chew (10 dollars per hectar or something?) It's beyond reason to Naminé why Brazil sells its soul to McDonald's cows and refuse on rainforest-cash or ethanol fuel.

Diesel fuel cannot be replaced by ethanol at the moment too, according to Naminé's little research on wikipedia. However, at the same time, ethanol is about 81% more efficient than gasoline when one inspects the amount of energy needed to produce the fuel as well. Guess that nations got the technology to make the fuel, yet the technology to apply the fuel into use is still relatively problematic at the moment~

Drifblim
May 3rd, 2006, 02:17 AM
Oil's not going to run out in five years. The price is simply caused by the oil companies' personal hunger for wealth, and what we need is price adjustment by the government.

Toothache
May 3rd, 2006, 03:35 AM
There are several reasons why oil price is rising so fast. First of all, growing economies like China and India are slowly moving towards developing into how most modern countries are. However, between these two countries alone there is at least 1/4 of the worlds population, probably more, and as more and more of these people earn enough money to afford cars, the demand for oil is greater.

Second, all the mess over Iraq has messed up the oil production over there, as they struggle to put the infrastructure back together. (They still only have a couple of hours of electricity a day)

Third, the pressure on Iran is making things more difficult. Iran is the fourth largest producer of oil, which makes their influence significant in the oil market, especially with Russia which does a lot of trading with them.

Fourth, oil companies are not investing enough into new sources of oil. Their profits as of late are the highest ever, because of the recent price hikes, and yet they prefer to stick to their current oil fields instead of searching for new ones, especially with the demand increasing as much as it is lately. Actually, the amount of oil isn't actually the problem, it's more about the current lack of refining in the world, especially after Katrina knocked out a lot of the refining plants.

Fifth, because oil is so profitable, and renewable fuels aren't as profitable yet, they will stick with oil because that's where the money is. Simple greed overrides the desire to maintain the planet.

Personally, I'd like to say to the US Government - sign Kyoto or get out of the UN, but that's just me. Supposedly the largest economy in the world, but lacking the political will to try and save it for you and me.

See, I told you I could go on about this.

singapore
May 3rd, 2006, 10:42 AM
brrr my father and me just came back from my sports training when we decided to fuel our car, we paid 109,6 euros for 80 litres...lol

We were like wtf : )

I am not sure about ethanol since it isnt very popular in germany but I doubt it can fully replace oil. I'll keep my fingers crossed for fuel cell cars though it will take a while until they can be manufactured for the public.

I also agree with toothache, the US government should sign kyoto and stop to pollute OUR environment. Once I read that the US could turn off 4 nuclear powerstations if all people would switch off their computers when they dont need them.. imagine how many overaged coal-fired power station you could turn off therefore.

bye

Chase Leader
May 3rd, 2006, 02:47 PM
So you say we won't run out of oil in 5 years...lol...sorry to burst your bubble but were gonna run out in a maximum of five years...just so you know fosil fuels are'nt re-newable...and at the rate the U.S. is using oil and gas...we will be screwed...its not like we can magically find oil...and yes we are looking for more oil...its called Antartica...and if we did find some thats gonna run out too...then what?

And enough with War in Iraq crap, thats not why the prices are sky-rocketing...its not our government price gougeing...we are running out ot oil...SUPPLY AND DEMAND...if we continued selling oil at a $1.50 we would run out even faster.

And another note...ethonal only ruins cars that arent flex-fuel, all we have to do is make more economy cars that can run on Ethonal...

Otter Mii-kun
May 3rd, 2006, 03:57 PM
Though I do agree that the U.S. should haul right out of the UNited Nations, I would think twice before bowing down to yet another piece of globalism such as Kyoto.

Chase Leader
May 3rd, 2006, 04:05 PM
Ha the U.N. wouldn't last 5 seconds without the U.S. It seems the only one who cares to put up with the U.S. government is the U.S. citizens...why is that...the American Dream...But now were going off topic...

Naminé
May 3rd, 2006, 07:53 PM
Oh oh oh, Naminé knows about the UN a bit. She just studied for a test about them, so therefore let Naminé have a rare chance to contribute to the topic at hand with slight sense of intelligence for once. The United States fund about approximately 25% of the entire organization's budget, with Japan paying somewhere between 10% to 15%. The headquarters of most UN buildings are also scattered throughout eastern US. US will always stay in the UN for the meantime as they need the veto power against China, an uprising powerful countries. US can also give some support to her allied country Great Britain through directing the UN's course of action as one of the five permanent member in the security counsel as well. In all sense, US has more benefits by staying in the UN, even if it is only to paralyze the organization like what the old Soviet Union has done with veto power. It might be even plausible for USA to change the UN with some degree of certainty either, as it's not very fair to Naminé to see that one country who basically runs the UN with free-will donation does not have slightly more power for all that USA has contributed.

As for the Kyoto Accord, Naminé doesn't see it as divine method to all environmental solutions from God either. The canadian government is also considering to withdraw from the Kyoto Accord, as it has done little for Canada over the past few years. On the other hand, USA's personal plan to battle environmental problems have done a slightly better job considering how little investments are required. Canada may be switching the program as well.

About oil shortage, it is rather questionable just how much oil does the Arab countries really have... Naminé recalls last year in science, the teacher has taught her that water is running out in 20 years too. The accuracy of these statements is beyond what Naminé knows... Different methods in calculating the same problem produces different answers. What is considered a factor in calculating for how long will oil last may not be a factor in the calculation by another organization.

singapore
May 4th, 2006, 06:35 AM
I also heard that oil will run out within 5 years.. As Namine already mentioned, noone knows how much oil can be found in the arab countries, but I believe if anything could prove that oil would run out world wide sciensists would put more efforts in finding a solution.

Toothache
May 5th, 2006, 02:15 AM
5 years is probably a more accurate estimate, at the current rate of use and expansion of oil, although I'm not completely convinced of that figure. Probably more accurately somewhere between 5 and 15 years, I doubt we can be more specific than that.

Either way, that's not a lot of time left to get rid of oil. Once it's gone, it's gone. Either we start planning for a future without oil, or we fall by the wayside like many other great civilisations.