PDA

View Full Version : Summer Reading Issue

Lord Mike
May 24th, 2006, 05:37 AM
So I live in Alabama. There are a lot of good things happening at the beginning of your teens. First crush. Playing sports. Playing addictive video games. All of that good stuff.

What makes me so mad is summer reading. Even worse, we have to read the book they choose for us. I have to read The Outsiders. You also have to read another book from a list of 15 other books. Do I read? No. Will I read? Probably not.

Picture this. You have a good summer and you're trying to enjoy the last days before school starts. You notice that you haven't read at all. Boy, are you in trouble. Rob of the last few days. Your parents say "Well, reading opens a whole new world!" though they notice no one at this age really doesn't care! They'll say "What has happened to today's society? In my days, I learned a lot more. I love reading." and they'll keep going on about this stuff.

Do you like reading? Do you like school? I don't.

Zone
May 24th, 2006, 02:07 PM
I'm going into high school, so there's no more required reading (though during high school there is required community service helping things), but after 6th grade, I had to read The Misfits, and after 7th I had to read The Cure. Both horrible books. I didn't even read the entire middle part of The Cure.

Drifblim
May 24th, 2006, 02:13 PM
My school started the programme right when I entered freshman year. The year following, the reports were never checked. I'll do them, partly because I actually like reading.

Krafty Quill
May 25th, 2006, 06:13 AM
If the book's well-written, got a little action and can keep me interested I wouldn't mind reading it.

Lord Mike
May 25th, 2006, 06:35 AM
The sixth Harry Potter book caught my attention a little. Though most books bore me.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
May 25th, 2006, 12:37 PM
I can't read books. If I do I'll explode:knockedou Well if the book is based on a movie then I might read it.

:t092:~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~

Lord Mike
May 25th, 2006, 01:52 PM
I feel the same way. Boredom can almost kill you at times.

Allstories
May 25th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Well, if you don't read when you're younger, I can't imagine that you'll like it any better when you're older. Plus, The Outsiders is pretty awesome, so I wouldn't be too worried about it. Just take your ritalin and get it over with.

Zone
May 25th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Most of the books schools make you read are horrible. One exception to this I've found so far is The Giver. That book is amazing. It's too bad the sequels were horrible. Another book that I was given to by a teacher but wasn't required for everyone to read was some book about a school that was a 30-floor tower, whose name I can't remember. I liked it back then, and read the sequel the next year.

Lord Mike
May 25th, 2006, 02:35 PM
My friend has to read The Giver for his 7th grade summer reading.

Naminé
May 25th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Well, if you don't read when you're younger, I can't imagine that you'll like it any better when you're older.

That is probably true... Naminé hardly read when she is little, and even now she can hardly read any books. Strangely enough, her interest on reading stories online, mostly fanfics, is tremendous. It is a striking contrast with her laziness to read novels in real life...

~Ozy~
May 25th, 2006, 03:06 PM
I'm sorry, but this almost sickens me. Reading is a wonderful prospect and you can hardly expect to achieve a higher command of written and spoken English without reading the sources from where it came.

Personally, I love reading, and in four years of high school, there has not been one book I've read that I have not taken some form of personal value from. I continue to read in my free time and thank my teachers for introducing me to some of the authors and dramatists that are now my favorites.

Kalylia
May 25th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Okay, first thing's first, "The Outsiders" is a MARVELOUS book! Second thing, I'm guessing you'll be starting high school or at least the eighth grade, YoMama, and if "The Outsiders" is what they've chosen for you, then you're getting off EASY! It's a fairly short novel and NOT a difficult read at all. I might feel some pity for you if you were being told to read "The Fountainhead" or "Great Expectations".

However, you are not.

Reading is the most wonderful thing in the world. Read whatever whenever, but you HAVE to read! It's one of the only ways we gain intellegence! And, as I don't want the human race to become a mass of mindless sponges...

If you want books that aren't boring, try "Ender's Game" or "Go Ask Alice". Those aren't boring books by any standards.

Summer reading, bad?

Please. I WISH my school did that. It's the easiest thing in the world. Read a few pages every night before you go to bed and you'll be done in no time. And that way, you haven't wasted any of your precious summertime.

*looks around* What is the world coming to?

Lord Mike
May 25th, 2006, 03:21 PM
I'm sorry, but this almost sickens me. Reading is a wonderful prospect and you can hardly expect to achieve a higher command of written and spoken English without reading the sources from where it came.

Personally, I love reading, and in four years of high school, there has not been one book I've read that I have not taken some form of personal value from. I continue to read in my free time and thank my teachers for introducing me to some of the authors and dramatists that are now my favorites.

You must live in a small world. Teens these days aren't entertained by reading as much as music, video games, and sports. There many other things that a teenager does in spare time, but chances are if its not require summer reading, they're not going to read.

*~Ashley~*
May 25th, 2006, 03:28 PM
I've had summer reading every year from kindergarten all the way through my senior year. And I'm glad I did. Sure, many of the books we were required to read didn't appeal to me, but reading really does broaden your horizons. I mean, what's better than sitting outside on a beautiful day reading a book? I'm sure you'd much rather hang out with friends or play videogames or whatever, but reading is probably much better for you in the end.

Like Nagoyaka Aikouka said, if you read a chapter or so a night, you'll be finished in no time. It's not like the books you're being required to read are extremely long. You'll still have plenty of time to do the things you want to do.

And, by the way, as a senior in high school, I can honestly say that most people my age do like to read a good book every once in a while. Sure they like music, video games, and sports, but it doesn't mean they don't like reading as well.

~Ozy~
May 25th, 2006, 03:31 PM
I listen to a wide variety of music, from jazz to hard rock, metal to classical and love it all.

I'm a gamer. I used to write reviews for a small gaming site and my school paper. I picked up X-Men: Legends yesterday because I was bored with all of my old games.

I'm an athletic person. I walk to school every day, participate in Parkour and am on one of the larger teams in COPK as a whole. I also ski, run, hike, and do some low-scale mountain climbing.

I also love reading. It's one of my favorite activities. I want some of Joseph Conrad's books and Eugene O'Neil's plays to read over the summer. Both are wonderful writers and well-worth picking up. If you cannot see the value in reading, then it seems to me that it is your world that is small and I truly pity you.

You talk about my world being small because I like to read. I see yours as small for not. You mention activities as though because I'm bookish I do not participate in them. On the contrary, I pride myself on being conversant on almost any subject. You are being self-limiting by not exposing yourself to a wide variety of literature in addition to more "pleasurable" activities. Mein Kampf, for example, is a fascinating read and valuable historically, psychologically and philosophically. It also might inspire you to read Beyond Good & Evil, again, fascinating and philosophically amazing. From there, you can travel to Absurdist drama and the Expressionistic forms it spawned from, which leads to political theory. My world and my mind has only been enriched by reading.

Allstories
May 25th, 2006, 03:34 PM
You must live in a small world. Teens these days aren't entertained by reading as much as music, video games, and sports. There many other things that a teenager does in spare time, but chances are if its not require summer reading, they're not going to read.

We live in the bloody information age. How can we possibly get by without reading? I think it's pretty irrational to attempt to justify your abyssmal reading habits by making such a rash generalization about the habits of other teenagers. Plus, it's JUST READING A BOOK. What are you spending your summer vacation doing that demands so much of your time?

Zone
May 25th, 2006, 03:36 PM
I hate reading, yet in 5th grade I had a 12+ grade reading level and still have one. On some reading comprehension thing we took this year, me and only one other person I know got a perfect score. You don't need to read books a lot to be good with language.

Natsuki
May 25th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Hey, I'm in Advanced English and we have to read three novels each summer and write chapter summaries, do packets and vocabulary work for each book. XD Believe me, it's no fun having to do work like that on your summer break. The teachers also choose our books for us. This year it was The Catcher in the Rye, Grand Opening and Jane Eyre.

The books themselves are pretty good, but we digress them so much in class you soon begin to hate them. XD; Anyway, I love reading. I think it's a wonderful experience to completely lose yourself in a good book, my favorite genres are science fiction/fantasy. :3

So aside from having to do chapter-by-chapter summaries and vocab., I don't mind reading over the summer. XD

~Kelsey

Crystal Clair
May 25th, 2006, 04:23 PM
This year it was The Catcher in the Rye, Grand Opening and Jane Eyre.
I read Jane Eyre all the way back in the seventh grade!
And in class, we're currently reading The Catcher in the Rye. I love that book. Holden and I have too much in common (it's scary, actually)
ahem
Well anyway, dont complain about reading. What are you doing on an internet forum then? I mean you read posts every day so dont you think you could use the same technique to read novels 'n stuff?
And this semester, we read this dumb book called the Color of Water and The Catcher in the Rye. I despised the CofW because I've read enough black opression stories to fill one of Team Rocket's pitfalls.

Zone
May 25th, 2006, 04:35 PM
For the two years I had to do summer reading, I didn't even read the two books I had to read that I could choose. I don't remember what they were for the first year and for the second year, they were the sequels to Artemis Fowl, and I read the first sentence on each page instead of reading the book. I also did this a few days before the restarting of school. I have better things to do in the summer, like swim. This summer, like last summer, I'm being on a swim team (I'm on it in summer and winter) and I'm doing lifeguard preparation things at a pond I live down the street from. Next year, which is when I'll be old enough to be a lifeguard, I might become a lifeguard there.

That was the last time I post in this topic without responding to someone's post.

Lord Mike
May 25th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Exactly. I wion't be taken prisoner by summer reading. Tennis rocks and I want time to play it.

Kalylia
May 25th, 2006, 04:46 PM
You're not being taken prisoner! Your teachers are just trying to make your life better by getting you in the world. People write for one purpose, to better other people's lives. Suck it up and read. Complaining isn't going to get you anywhere. Who knows, maybe you'd actually enjoy it if you stopped whining.

Zone
May 25th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Exactly. I wion't be taken prisoner by summer reading. Tennis rocks and I want time to play it.

It's not being taken prisoner. If it's a book that isn't horrible, it's not a bad thing, though there are only a few books I've read that I found good. Find a good book and you won't care.