PDA

View Full Version : Computer/OS Talk

Pages : [1] 2

Hiroshi Sotomura
September 21st, 2003, 03:56 PM
This is returning the subject about OS Tak, so here talk about what you have heard about computers, about what your school's computer uses, what operating system you have, etc (PCs that is).

Example: Your computer's OS, your computer model and specs...

Kairi
September 21st, 2003, 03:59 PM
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=678

There's a similar topic already, although the topic title is misleading. I'll change the title on the other one, since it was here first. I'll close this one.

Kairi
September 21st, 2003, 04:14 PM
I'll reopen this, as the other went off topic and such. Sorry Shigeru-san! ^_^;;

Haruka
September 21st, 2003, 04:23 PM
Dell Demension 2350
Intel Celeron Processor At 2000 Mhz
30 Gb Harddrive
Windows Xp Professional
Liteon Dvd 16x Max Drive
128 Mb Memory
6 Usb Ports
Dell Quiet Keyboard
Logitech Optical Mouse
FLOPPY DRIVE
56K MODEM
BOADCOM 100MPS/10MB INTERGRATED NETWORK CARD
32 MB INTEL INTERNAL EXTREME GRAPHICS.

Kyosuke
September 21st, 2003, 04:24 PM
I have a Dell Dimesion 8100 with....
-Pentuim 4 processor
-20 gb hard drive
-cd writer
-Windows ME

thats all I can think of at the moment.

Hiroshi Sotomura
September 21st, 2003, 04:27 PM
Don't worry about it Kairi (and ignore the PM I sent you).

Anyway, I like my Macintosh, because the operating system it has is fast enough for me, but my dad wants to buy a Windows computer because of it's speed O.o

It's about 333MHz, enough for me, and it has a built-in modem, ethernet, 2 USB ports and 256 MB of RAM.

However I broke it's CD drive *upset*

Haruka
September 21st, 2003, 04:31 PM
Heres my apple computer

100 MHZ ~ POWER PC PRE G3
128K Whatever it is called
Floppy Drive (I got the metal peice of the floppy stuck in there. :()
CD Drive (my only way to send infomation from my PC)
Intergrated modem (28.8 mps)
3 MB Video Card (that stinks... really)
1.2 GB Harddrive (big enough for me for now. :D)
32 MB Memory (self installed by me)

22sa
September 21st, 2003, 04:34 PM
Current PC.

3 Years old
128 Memory
600 mhz
52X CD Drive
CD Writer

Kairi
September 21st, 2003, 04:37 PM
Well...

120 Gb Hard Drive
1.79 GHz P4
256 RAM
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1
Junky ATI graphics card
17" Gateway Flat Panel Monitor

Kyosuke
September 21st, 2003, 04:38 PM
And here is one for my old pc that has my downloads and whatnot on it.

-Dell Demension XPS P200s
-12x cd rom drive (pitiful..)
-56k modem
-1.99 gb hard drive
-Windows 98se

Hiroshi Sotomura
September 21st, 2003, 04:42 PM
My iMac is an all-in-one 333MHz G3, which is not too fast compared to latest PowerMacs such as the G5, 256 MB of RAM isn't enough... my computer keeps using Virtual Memory :/ ...... It runs Mac OS X 10.2 (I need 10.2.6), and unfortunately the ATI Rage Pro graphics card doesn't take advantage of Quartz, therefore it's really not good for graphics. In fact the rendering is a bit wonky. The monitor is built-in as this is an all in one, my keyboard is a Logitech Elite Pro, the mouse is Intellimouse Explorer.

Shining Arcanine
September 21st, 2003, 05:20 PM
I have a PC made by Shining Arcanine Inc. Running Windows XP. Here are the specifications:

2.4GHz P4 Processor w/800MHz FSB
1GB of RAM
200GB HD
ATI AIW 9700 Pro Video Card

Kairi
September 21st, 2003, 05:27 PM
That's a very nice computer Shining Arcanine! You built it yourself eh? Was it the first one you built? How old is it? How much did it cost to make? What sort of case/cooling do you have in it?

Arcanine
September 22nd, 2003, 08:16 AM
Well here is is my computer (the one that is not on the internet).

Computer: HP Pavilion 255c
Monitor: 15" Flat Panel Monitor (or the HP Pavilion vf51)
Windows: XP Home Edition
RAM: 448MB
Hard Drive: 70.4 GB
Memory: DDR SDRAM Memory 512 MB, NVIDIA GeForce4 MX graphics with 64 MB of DDR SDRAM
Processor: AMD Athlon XP Processor 2.1 GHz
DVD: DVD Video/Rom 16x Max Drive
CD: CD/CD-RW Combo Drive
Floppy: 3 1/2 Inch Floppy Disk Drive
Ports: 2 USB and 1 IEEE 1394

z type
September 22nd, 2003, 12:25 PM
I've got a wireless keybord and mouse
computer:ANTEC
17''screen
hard drive:80gb
CD burner, dvd player,cd-rom floppy space,
printer, 3 speakers
pentium 4 processor and sound card
The best graphics card money can buy.Thats all i know i got it last friday.

Shining Arcanine
September 22nd, 2003, 04:17 PM
That's a very nice computer Shining Arcanine! You built it yourself eh? Was it the first one you built? How old is it? How much did it cost to make? What sort of case/cooling do you have in it?

Yes it was but I was trained in computer hardware four years ago so I could have done it eariler if I had the parts. It cost me about 50% ($1500) less than the dell equavilent ($3000). I built it 3 months ago. The cooling is a generic fan in the back of the case and a stock intel fan for the P4. I monitor the system temperatures and it seems to suffice. Not to mention it keeps me warm in the winter time. I am thinking of replacing them with large low rpm fans (I will get one for the front of the case too) to cool more efficently and lower the computer's noise.

Btw, it uses the Intel 875P (Canterwood) motherboard and Corsair memory modules.

Hiroshi Sotomura
September 22nd, 2003, 04:30 PM
Wow that's looking like a very sophisticated computer... was it?

Shining Arcanine
September 22nd, 2003, 04:38 PM
It's software and speed overwhelmed me when I first used it. Now I think it's slow. lol

Actually, I am thinking of replacing my 200GB WD Special Edition Caviar HD with a RAID 0 setup of 72GB WD Raptor HDs. That should take care of the speed issues (all due to the sluggish 20Mbps transfer from the HD). Then using the 200GB drive for weekly backups to negogiate the increased risk of data loss caused by RAID 0. Of course it would take me a while to procure the funds required to do so.

Haruka
September 22nd, 2003, 06:00 PM
I buy cheap computers. as long as it works, thats fine with me. :P

I wish i had a P4 though, not a crappy celeron processor.

Latios Master
September 22nd, 2003, 06:07 PM
Mine:
Macintosh PowerBook G3
with Mac OS X Version 10.2.6
Memory: 320 MB
Processor: 292 MHz PowerPC G3

I have Nec speakers, and an Epson Stylus C82 printer with DURABrite ink.

I wished I had a better computer...

Hiroshi Sotomura
September 22nd, 2003, 11:05 PM
Well that computer is much better than my crappy iMac... I mean 333MHz isn't taken advantage of... the RAM on my iMac is not so used.

Q Man
September 23rd, 2003, 02:49 AM
Well, here's my computer's specs, while not the greatest in the world, it gets things done.

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 1.7 Ghz
Video Card: NVidia GeForce3 64Mb DDR VRAM
HD: 52GB (2 disks - 12 GB and 40 GB, partitioned into 20 GB partitions)
Memory (RAM): 512 MB DDR
Sound: Gineric onboard sound, I typically use headphones now

~~My Wishlist~~

Fastest AMD AthlonXP (but not a 64-bit)
ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 9600 (so I can also record from a TV signal!)

Kairi
September 23rd, 2003, 12:31 PM
Lol, the service pack one merely means you passed Microsoft's authenticity test. Most people would shrug it off and say "Well, if I don't download SP1 they can't catch me". The thing is, programs now "look" for SP1 on an XP machine, and if they don't see it they won't install. You probably knew this already though. ^_^;

Haruka
September 23rd, 2003, 12:59 PM
Service Pack 1 screwed up my computer. Orginally it's preinstalled with Windows XP Home Edition SP1. I installed XP Professional which isn't SP 1 and then it screwed up AOL 7.0.

Chain Recaction eh?. :P

It screwed up the laptop too... My mom yelled at me so we had to start the OS over again. :P

Shining Arcanine
September 23rd, 2003, 01:51 PM
Well, here's my computer's specs, while not the greatest in the world, it gets things done.

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 1.7 Ghz
Video Card: NVidia GeForce3 64Mb DDR VRAM
HD: 52GB (2 disks - 12 GB and 40 GB, partitioned into 20 GB partitions)
Memory (RAM): 512 MB DDR
Sound: Gineric onboard sound, I typically use headphones now

~~My Wishlist~~

Fastest AMD AthlonXP (but not a 64-bit)
ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 9600 (so I can also record from a TV signal!)

Want to hear my Wishlist?

3.4GHz P4 Extreme Edition processor
Another GB of TWINX Corsair RAM
Dual 72GB WD Raptor HDs
New case and processor fans.
Namebrand 300Watt Power Supply
External IDE HD Bay

That should just about cover it. lol Anyway, I suggest going for the soon to be released P4 Extreme Edition. It is faster than AMD's chips (current 3.2GHz P4 also is faster) and is pretty much a repackaged Xeon MP processor.

Hiroshi Sotomura
September 23rd, 2003, 07:07 PM
What is faster though? Dual 2GHz Power Mac G5 or AMD's latest processor?

And btw the G5 chip IS a combination of the P4 chip (one of them as far as I know).

Shining Arcanine
September 24th, 2003, 12:24 PM
What is faster though? Dual 2GHz Power Mac G5 or AMD's latest processor?

And btw the G5 chip IS a combination of the P4 chip (one of them as far as I know).

Intel's latest processor as of last check. I am looking into AMD's and Intel's newly released processors now.

Btw, no it isn't because the latest G5 is one of the slowest (both performance per clock and wise GHz wise) processors on the market today.

Edit: I just finshed reading the review. The Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz Extreme Edition (aka. Xeon MP in P4 camaflague) exceeds the Athlon 64 FX-51 at streaming data processing (e.g. video games), multimedia files encoding (e.g. video editing), and mutithreading (e.g. Photoshop). The AMD Athlon 64 FX-51 exceeds the Pentium 4 3.2GHz Extreme Edition at scientific (99.9% of all computer users don't use this) and bussiness (do you really need hundreds of fps in MS Word? it doesn't make your more productive).

As You can see, I am slightly biased since Intel because their processors are optimized for the growing needs of the vast majority of the people who use them. Not to mention they are highly scalable (Highest Northwood P4 core will go at is 4.2GHz while the highest the Althon Barton core will go at is 2.4GHz last check).

Haruka
September 24th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Hmmmmm. I want to get my hands on P4 Techology..

This is my dream computer:

Dell Laptop
15 inch screen
30 GB Harddrive
1.8? gHZ P4 Processor
128 MB Memory

Hmmm. Who knows, I might get a laptop of my own someday. :P

Shining Arcanine
September 24th, 2003, 12:45 PM
My dream PC is:

10.20 GHz Processor (with HT) based on Nehalem core
64GB of RAM running at 12.8GHz based on NRAM
10 Terabyte Solid State Drive based on NRAM
ATI AIW Graphics card based on the R420 core
Running Windows Blackcomb workstation

If anyone is wondering, none of this stuff is out yet or close to being ready for production. The 10.20GHz processor is set for 2005 as of early 2003. The ATI AIW R420 based Graphics card is probably set for sometime next year. Windows Blackcomb is set for 2008. And only God knows when they will discover a way to address NRAM so it would be usable.

Kairi
September 24th, 2003, 12:50 PM
That thing is so powerful you'd probably die if you touched it... *_*;

Is Blackcomb the name for the next Windows, or is that something different? I thought the next Windows was 2005?

Haruka
September 24th, 2003, 01:03 PM
I thought there was a new operating system called "longhorn"?

Shining Arcanine
September 24th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Longhorn is the next generation desktop version of Windows. Blackcomb is the desktop/server version that follows it.

Kairi
September 24th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Have they decided an abbreviation for it? Few people are going to want to type or say that out each time they refer to it.

It's going to handle 64-bit processors right?

Shining Arcanine
September 24th, 2003, 02:42 PM
The software must be compiled for use with different processors. There is a 64bit version of XP and its server counterpart, Windows 2003 Server.

Kairi
September 24th, 2003, 02:47 PM
Yes, of course. There's 64-bit versions of most of the operating systems, just few programs that are configured for it.

Haruka
September 24th, 2003, 03:18 PM
But, theres a disavantage for 64-bit operating systems.

They cannot run 32-bit or 16-bit programs.

Shining Arcanine
September 24th, 2003, 06:16 PM
That isn't necessarily true. Windows XP 64Bit edition emulates 32Bit for the Itanium while it just changes 32bit calls to 64bit calls on the Althon.

Haruka
September 24th, 2003, 06:18 PM
Whaaaaaaa!... Hmmmm. I never used the 64-bit verson of Windows XP yet... I never touch complicated stuff.. anyways..

Hiroshi Sotomura
November 1st, 2003, 12:17 PM
SA said the Power Mac G5 was the slowest PC around on the market a while ago.
That might be false.
SA have you tried the G5 at all?

Anyway very soon speed will not be a necessity. They we'll be looking at Hard Drives, RAM and Graphics.

Shining Arcanine
November 1st, 2003, 01:58 PM
The benchmarks are good enough for me. I don't need to use an obsolute computer to discover what review sites have prediscovered for me. Not to mention Apple's PCs are known for being slow.

Haruka
November 1st, 2003, 07:28 PM
Well, I thought Macs are sposed to be better than PCs.

PCs is the real McCroy. :P Nothing can beat it. Not even VMS(Virtual Machines) (which is the half of the proformance of the real thing.)

If you are picking out a VM software for windows, Stay away from Virtual PC... It's evil! (because it's made by microsoft)

Hiroshi Sotomura
November 2nd, 2003, 12:18 AM
Why stay away? Virtual PC was made by Connectix originally... nothing except the copyrights have actually changed in it.

I got positive and negative stuff about the Power Mac G5 when reading Australian Personal Computer magazine.

And what about the memory bandwidth? 16 GB/s? 1GHz Frontside bus speed? 2 FPUs? 2 Integer Units? 4 instructions per branch of maximum execution and 16 stages of pipeline depth? 4 SIMD units and 8GB Max. Memory (although rumoured it will go to 4TB)?

I hear they're working on the 3Ghz Dual Power Mac G5.

Haruka
November 2nd, 2003, 09:45 AM
Well, I used to have Virtual PC but it uses too much memory and it wasn't funny at all. The windows verson doesn't support USB devices and it's just runs too slow.

vmWare is the real mccoy! It only costs 299 for the download verson of it. :P

BTW: I was talking about the windows verson of virtualPC.

Hiroshi Sotomura
November 3rd, 2003, 12:58 PM
Horray! I got my G4 setup with Virtual PC!
Believe me it was painful since installing was cumbersome. I am currently using Windows XP to type this message.

Haruka
November 3rd, 2003, 01:14 PM
Well Congrats!

Well, my VM has Windows NT 4 installed on it... but no sound though. :D

Hiroshi Sotomura
November 3rd, 2003, 07:02 PM
*sigh* The Microsoft Windows versions of all the Microsoft programs I have are all better than mine...
Bad MICROSOFT! Bad!

Haruka
November 4th, 2003, 06:15 PM
I see... Microsoft's counterpart is 10x slower and worse on a Mac then...

Hiroshi Sotomura
November 5th, 2003, 02:28 AM
My dad also got me a Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop (older model) so right now I'm not typing at my computer desk, but at my bed (which is a few metres away from my computer desk).

Haruka
November 5th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Does that thing work on your Virtual PC for Mac? I am just woundering (because the windows verson is soooo crappy!)

Hiroshi Sotomura
November 18th, 2003, 12:11 PM
Many USB devices work with Virtual PC for Macintosh.
And, if the device isn't compatible with the Mac OS, it might work with Virtual PC anyway, even if there are no Mac drivers.

The Power Mac G5 can run almost all 32-bit applications, and Panther handles the processor(s) neatly as one OS. There isn't exactly a 64-bit version (although there was for 10.2.7 Jaguar) but if there is it would probably be installed chosen automatically during installation.
10.2.7 (G5 version) or later is needed to control the fans and the 64-bit processor.

Hiroshi Sotomura
November 20th, 2003, 01:09 PM
Hello guys? Sorry for double posting, but... this is awfully inactive. I was just reviving it.

Kairi
November 20th, 2003, 01:59 PM
I'm getting a new computer soon. They had a free upgrade from 512MB of RAM to 2GB so...

It has a P4 3.0 GHz with HT,120 Gigabyte hard drive, DVD burner and all sorts of very nice features. I'll get the specs for it in a bit. ^_^;

Kyosuke
November 20th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Whoa a P4 with HT technology, I hear about that alot but never hear about anyone who has it.

My sister has a normal P4 Dell Dimension 8100, with a 52x CD burner, 16x DVD-burner, 80 GB hard drive, but I abused and lost my privledges to use it, (too many downloads she found out about). I wish my computer had that kind of power....

Haruka
November 20th, 2003, 05:08 PM
I have a "poor" Celeron Processor and 128 MB... I wanted 256 MB and a pentium 4 processor, but I am stuck with this..

I got to get my hands on the cenanto (sp?) processors on laptops... they sposed to be good!

Kairi
November 20th, 2003, 05:26 PM
Actually, Centrino is just a combination of things like a networkign card in laptops. It's not actually a chip. ^_^;;

I've never expereinced hyper-threading, guess I will soon. o.o;

Haruka
November 20th, 2003, 06:37 PM
Cool! Wireless Networking. I might get my hands on that tech. some day.

Kyosuke
November 20th, 2003, 08:35 PM
I've always been interested in Pentium Xeon processors, but from what I hear, they were only ment for servers, is it still possible to use it anyway?

Hiroshi Sotomura
November 20th, 2003, 10:28 PM
I don't think I'd be able to make an Apple XServe act as a desktop... but it is an Apple G4 Processor... I think a lot of computers can be made to act as a server even though they don't have the power.

Haruka
November 21st, 2003, 08:48 PM
That means I can install Windows 2000 Server Edition on my computer.. Sweet!

Hiroshi Sotomura
November 22nd, 2003, 01:04 AM
I would fancy running Mac OS X Server on my G4... it has a lot of processing power.

Haruka
November 22nd, 2003, 08:56 AM
I have enough power to run a server... atleast a NT server... (I installed it on my VMWARE program)

Hiroshi Sotomura
November 22nd, 2003, 01:56 PM
VMWARE? Isn't that just an emulation though? You won't be able to judge the power of your computer from VMWARE...

Haruka
November 22nd, 2003, 02:22 PM
vmWare is a Emulation software for Windows. It's better than the Windows verson of Microsoft's Virtual PC but it cost a little bit more for the extra freatures..

Well, My VM processor gets downgraded to 1 gHZ, half of 2.0 gHZ

Shining Arcanine
November 24th, 2003, 06:30 AM
Whoa a P4 with HT technology, I hear about that alot but never hear about anyone who has it.

My sister has a normal P4 Dell Dimension 8100, with a 52x CD burner, 16x DVD-burner, 80 GB hard drive, but I abused and lost my privledges to use it, (too many downloads she found out about). I wish my computer had that kind of power....

So exactly what does that make me? Chopped Liver?

My computer's specifications are:

2.4GHz Pentium 4 Processor w/800MHz FSB and HT Technology
1GB Corsair memory @ 2-3-2-5 latencies
Western Digital 200GB Special Edition Cavair HD
ATI AIW 9700 Pro (3rd fastest commercial video card in the world)
Creative Soundblaster Audiology 2 (extremely high end soundcard)

Here are a few facts about my PC. It is fine turned for performance. I have disabled the paging file (don't do that unless you have more than 768MB of RAM) and several unused (and sometimes insecure) windows components to speed up the computer considerably.

If you are wondering why I said 2-3-2-5 latencies, here is a little fact about memory. Memory does not respond as fast as the processor needs it to. Faster responses require lower latencies. However, most memory can not perform at high clock speeds and respond quickly. Corsair memory is among the only memory in the world that can respond that qickly when operating at 400MHz (that is before dual channel, 400MHz*2=800MHz). I guarentee the memory in my PC is faster than whatever Dell puts in their PCs. :D

Hiroshi Sotomura
November 24th, 2003, 10:40 PM
For some reason, my computer's speed never minds me. Even if it is a "behind" 400MHz Power Mac G4. I really like power, but for my own life (at the moment) speed isn't quite the big issue for me.
Unfortunately it is for my father.
Besides, I could get a processor upgrade card. Although I have no intention of doing so.
I'm actually glad to have it, even when the G4 is 67MHz faster than my iMac (which has a G3 Processor).

G4 eMac? I might look into my options for that, but if so I'm afraid my 400MHz G4 would be more expandable... 4 PCI slots, a slot for an Internal Zip drive or Floppy Drive, case openable from the handle, etc. It's just so powerful and easy to use.

Kairi
November 25th, 2003, 06:59 AM
Pentium 4 Processor at 3GHz w/800MHz front side bus/ HT Technology
Windows XP Professional
2GB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 400MHz
128MB DDR ATI RADEON 9800 Pro Graphics Card with TV-Out and DVI
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
120GB Serial ATA Hard Drive,
16x DVD-ROM Drive
8x DVD+R/+RW Drive with CD-RW

I know the Hard Drive is unimpressive, my old computer had a 120 GB Western Digital one. Going from a 1.4? GHz 256 RAM system though, it's plenty fast enough for me now.

The graphics aren't too important to me, don't game much and I have a DVI Flat Panel so...

I was surprised to find Messenger and Indexing turned off when I first looked into services. The XP firewall was on by default too. I loaded up something better of course before going online to get the Windows Updates.

Shining Arcanine
November 25th, 2003, 11:06 AM
Pentium 4 Processor at 3GHz w/800MHz front side bus/ HT Technology
Windows XP Professional
2GB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 400MHz
128MB DDR ATI RADEON 9800 Pro Graphics Card with TV-Out and DVI
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
120GB Serial ATA Hard Drive,
16x DVD-ROM Drive
8x DVD+R/+RW Drive with CD-RW

I know the Hard Drive is unimpressive, my old computer had a 120 GB Western Digital one. Going from a 1.4? GHz 256 RAM system though, it's plenty fast enough for me now.

The graphics aren't too important to me, don't game much and I have a DVI Flat Panel so...

I was surprised to find Messenger and Indexing turned off when I first looked into services. The XP firewall was on by default too. I loaded up something better of course before going online to get the Windows Updates.

Nice specs. The main bottleneck on that system as well as any other system is the hard drive through. Look into two 72GB Raptors in a RAID 0 configuration (144GB) and that computer will fly on boot up as well as anything else that is HD intensive.

By the way, be sure to put it in a room with an air conditioner. Otherwise when summer comes by you won't be able to stand being near your computer.

Not to mention, I couldn't help noticing that you have the same sound card that I have. How do you like it?

Haruka
November 25th, 2003, 01:00 PM
For some reason, my computer's speed never minds me. Even if it is a "behind" 400MHz Power Mac G4. I really like power, but for my own life (at the moment) speed isn't quite the big issue for me.
Unfortunately it is for my father.
Besides, I could get a processor upgrade card. Although I have no intention of doing so.
I'm actually glad to have it, even when the G4 is 67MHz faster than my iMac (which has a G3 Processor).

G4 eMac? I might look into my options for that, but if so I'm afraid my 400MHz G4 would be more expandable... 4 PCI slots, a slot for an Internal Zip drive or Floppy Drive, case openable from the handle, etc. It's just so powerful and easy to use.

My Macintosh isn't that expandable.... o_o.. it's limited..

My Dell computer has poor specs... I have to wait forever to do something (aleast it's not 10x slower... )
128MB of Memory (Probally at 250 gHZ or higher)
Windows XP Professional
30 GB Harddrive (I can live with that, but I can't use it for a dual booting)
12x DVD Drive
32mb Intel Extreme Graphics (A very slow graphics card... >_<....)
SoundMax Intergrated Soundcard..

:-/... I need more memory though. My VM runs too slow because the lack of memory installed the computer. :(

Shining Arcanine
November 25th, 2003, 01:16 PM
My Macintosh isn't that expandable.... o_o.. it's limited..

My Dell computer has poor specs... I have to wait forever to do something (aleast it's not 10x slower... )
128MB of Memory (Probally at 250 gHZ or higher)
Windows XP Professional
30 GB Harddrive (I can live with that, but I can't use it for a dual booting)
12x DVD Drive
32mb Intel Extreme Graphics (A very slow graphics card... >_<....)
SoundMax Intergrated Soundcard..

:-/... I need more memory though. My VM runs too slow because the lack of memory installed the computer. :(

250GHz Processors are not on the market or in existance yet. It would be nice through.

Haruka
November 25th, 2003, 01:24 PM
It must be lower than... o_O... it maybe could be 25 mHZ.. EEK!!!

Well, My computer isn't that good for advanced stuff.

Shining Arcanine
November 25th, 2003, 02:12 PM
Maybe you meant 250MHz... Notice the M. ^_^;;

Kairi
November 25th, 2003, 02:35 PM
I thought her computer was a bit faster than that. Maybe it's her other one..

I plan to swap out the hard drives as the first thing I upgrade. It still seems so much better than my old Gateway... x_x; Gateway makes the worst products, it was os unstable even with XP.

Haruka
November 25th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Get a dell instead of a gateway next time! It's more reliable.

Kairi
November 25th, 2003, 03:41 PM
Haruka, this one is a Dell. I'm glad of that, I'll never buy Gateway again. ^_^;

Haruka
November 25th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Haruka, this one is a Dell. I'm glad of that, I'll never buy Gateway again. ^_^;
I see... I have a Dell also...

DUDE! You are getting a dell comerials... *sighs*

Shining Arcanine
November 25th, 2003, 05:34 PM
Dell PCs are nice. Shining Arcanine PCs are even nicer. lol ^_^

What model was it and what hard drive upgrade are you planning?

Kairi
November 25th, 2003, 06:49 PM
What model is what? Kinda vauge there. ^_^;

I'm not sure what my plans are for the hard drive, I just know it's slow and kinda small. I had to sacrifice somewhere for now, and it sure wasn't going to be on the processor.

Haruka
November 25th, 2003, 08:02 PM
Mine is a Dimension 2350... (I don't like it because of the 128 MB of memory.)

Hiroshi Sotomura
November 25th, 2003, 09:31 PM
I somewhat enjoy staying with a 40 GB hard drive. It's somewhat enough for me.

Shining Arcanine
November 26th, 2003, 06:08 AM
Kairi, the computer's model-number/name should be on the tower...

Kairi
November 26th, 2003, 07:02 AM
Oh, right. Thought you meant model of the hard drive. ^_^;

I know it's a generation 2 Dimension XPS, here's a link to it's picture and such. I upgraded from the basics it says, and no monitor of course.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_xps?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Shining Arcanine
November 26th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Cool! That computer is the best dell has to offer.

Hiroshi Sotomura
November 26th, 2003, 12:40 PM
The Australian Personal Computer magazine customer servey shows:
Dell is the most popular computing brand.
Apple has gotten the largest reliability rating for the PCs and Servers.

My school not to recently got some Optimas. They're faster than the bad old Compucons that run Windows NT 4... The Optimas feature Windows 2000 Professional (they used to have XP).

Haruka
November 26th, 2003, 02:02 PM
Well, I may get a new laptop this year... Well... I tell you more infomation about it, I am sure it's better than my desktop computer that I am currently using.. (it's a cheap one.... I can't do much with it... lol.)

Anyway, I installed Windows 2000 on my vmWare and It was faster instead of the one I installed on Virtual PC 8 months ago... :P..

Kairi
November 26th, 2003, 02:07 PM
Hey, Shining Arcanine. Could you describe your case or post a picture? I'm curious. ^_^; What did you say was the cooling on yours?

Shining Arcanine
November 26th, 2003, 02:51 PM
The cooling and power parts are going to be replaced this Christmas. I didn't have the funds to get anything other than what I had when I build it. ^_^;;

Here is a link to the listing on the site where I brought my PC's case:

http://compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?sid=osn105jm7vq1nka&id=1000057

Edit: Here are the upgrades I am planning for my computer in the order that I plan to do them:

1. Power and Cooling Parts.

2. 2 72GB Raptor Hard Drives in a RAID 0 Config

3. Smart Display LCD Monitor (I orignally wanted a 3D OLED Smart Display but none of those 3 technologies have been combined so I will have to settle, ^_^;; ), new speakers, mouse, keyboard.

4. New Scanner to replace the one that failed last summer.

I can't think of any other upgrades to plan for. The parts inside my computer could probably stand an upgrade in 2.5 years but I doubt I will do it considering that I don't need more speed.

Haruka
November 27th, 2003, 09:26 AM
I might get this laptop from Dell for christmas:
Pentium 4 Processor 2.27 gHZ
30 GB Harddrive
8x DVD Drive/4x CD Writer Combo
256 MB Memory
Windows XP Professional SP1
14 inch screen

Shingo`
November 29th, 2003, 02:44 AM
A company's garbage can be your dreams =D
* Found a mp3 player and a 10/100-BaseT NIC in there *

Custom Built
- 10/100 Ethernet (Linksys)
- 56k modem (US Robotics)
- Westell 2200 DSL modem (umm... don't ask.)
- Audigy2 6-speaker/sub setup
- RAID 0 Configuration, Western Digital 120GB HDD, Maxtor 4.3GB HDD
-Iomega NAS 1.4TB (Network storage)
- nVidia GeForceFX 5800 (found that digging through my 'piles' near the bed)
- 3.50GHz Intel P4/HyperThreading
- 3.44GHz Intel P4/HyperThreading (dual cpu)
- Plextor PleXwriter PX-504UF

Haruka
November 29th, 2003, 09:02 AM
Well, My computer got upgraded again..

DELL DIM 2350
INTEL CELERON PRO. AT 2.0 GHZ (1999 mHZ)
384 MB OF MEMORY (128MB AND 256MB DDR DIMMS)
30 GB HARDDRIVE FORMATTED NTFS
12x LITEON DVD DRIVE
56k MODEM
32MB INTEL INTERGRATED GRAPHICS
100mps/10MB INTERGRATED NETWORK CARD.

Shingo`
November 29th, 2003, 01:53 PM
Anyone have dream computers with OC-48 internet connections? *drools*

Shining Arcanine
November 29th, 2003, 02:59 PM
A company's garbage can be your dreams =D
* Found a mp3 player and a 10/100-BaseT NIC in there *

Custom Built
- 10/100 Ethernet (Linksys)
- 56k modem (US Robotics)
- Westell 2200 DSL modem (umm... don't ask.)
- Audigy2 6-speaker/sub setup
- RAID 0 Configuration, Western Digital 120GB HDD, Maxtor 4.3GB HDD
-Iomega NAS 1.4TB (Network storage)
- nVidia GeForceFX 5800 (found that digging through my 'piles' near the bed)
- 3.50GHz Intel P4/HyperThreading
- 3.44GHz Intel P4/HyperThreading (dual cpu)
- Plextor PleXwriter PX-504UF
Shingo, that RAID setup must be pretty small. You are limited to 8.6GB in it due to the way striping works. How do you bare it?

Intel has never made a dual CPU motherboard where both CPUs can have different clockspeeds. How did you pull it off?

Also, you must have a super cooling solution since the heat generated by those CPUs alone should be enough to fry every component in your system. What do you use to cool them?

What are your memory settings in the basic input/output system on your computer?

Also, how loud is your GeForce 5800. I hear it is comparable to a vaccum cleaner or a jet engine but never have been able to find someone with that part to ask about it.

John Denver
November 29th, 2003, 03:06 PM
Bah, don't believe anything Shingo tells you...he's a rotten lyer...

boo ya lyer...

Shining Arcanine
November 30th, 2003, 01:26 PM
So is anyone interesting talking about Longhorn? Here is an FAQ about it:

http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/longhorn.asp

Haruka
November 30th, 2003, 02:50 PM
Cool! I already knew... I wish I had a copy so I can install it on vmWare to try it out..

Shingo`
November 30th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Shingo, that RAID setup must be pretty small. You are limited to 8.6GB in it due to the way striping works. How do you bare it?

ANSWER RAID 0- It makes Windows think that two drives are ONE.

Intel has never made a dual CPU motherboard where both CPUs can have different clockspeeds. How did you pull it off?

ANSWER Who said I used an Intel motherboard?

Also, you must have a super cooling solution since the heat generated by those CPUs alone should be enough to fry every component in your system. What do you use to cool them?

ANSWER Hydro cooling system, and AlienIce (www.alienware.com, k00l case also).

What are your memory settings in the basic input/output system on your computer?

What?

Also, how loud is your GeForce 5800. I hear it is comparable to a vaccum cleaner or a jet engine but never have been able to find someone with that part to ask about it.

ANSWER *Ears bomb* It's not really THAT loud, but it's sort of... *pulls out earplugs* what?

Shining Arcanine
November 30th, 2003, 07:16 PM
Cool! I already knew... I wish I had a copy so I can install it on vmWare to try it out..

The current builds are pre-alpha so you shouldn't install them. Wait until 2005/2006 for Longhorn to come out.

ANSWER RAID 0- It makes Windows think that two drives are ONE.

ANSWER Who said I used an Intel motherboard?

ANSWER Hydro cooling system, and AlienIce (www.alienware.com, k00l case also).

What?

ANSWER *Ears bomb* It's not really THAT loud, but it's sort of... *pulls out earplugs* what?
For one thing, Windows has to have a RAID driver. Another thing is that every other cluster is added to the virtual drive. Since the 4.3GB drive will run out of clusters before the 120GB one will, you will only get 8.6GB out of it. You should know that having done a RAID 0 with them.

Another thing that you should know that I stated in my previous post that your computer's configuration is impossible to obtain simply because... It is not possible to have dual P4 processors clocked higher than any P4 on the market operating at different clocks in a computer even if you overclock them. Therefore you are lying.

Harbinger of Chaos
November 30th, 2003, 11:55 PM
Laptop
Dell Inspiron 8000
Debian GNU/Linux Unstable (Sid)
1000 Mhz Pentium III
256 MB RAM
ATI Mobility M4 (Based on Rage 128) 32MB
32 GB Hard Drive
8x DVD-ROM
Modular Floppy Drive
Modular 12x (I think) CD-RW
Extra Battery
Screen has some problems, and the pointing stick is broken (still have the touchpad, though)

Desktop
Custom
No OS now (unused) Planned: Either Win98 (games) or dual-boot Debian/Win98
416 Mhz Pentium II (Overclocked from 333 Mhz)
320 MB RAM
ATI Radeon 7500 64MB
2x 20 GB Hard Drives
16x DVD-ROM
LS-120 Disk Drive
External Backpack 4x CD-RW
15" Flatpanel Monitor

Handheld
Sharp Zaurus SL-5600
Runs Linux, but nothing on there now, I'm working on a custom ROM.
400 Mhz Intel Xscale
32 MB RAM
32 MB Flash RAM (storage)
32 MB Flash ROM (OS image)
240x320 Touch Screen
Sliding-panel covered keyboard
64 MB SD Card
256 MB Compact Flash Card
Linksys WCF12 Wireless Compact Flash Card

Yep, there you have it. My precioussseses (ok, so I can't spell that word well ;) ).

Shining Arcanine
December 1st, 2003, 12:59 AM
Wow, you have an LS-120 Drive too? Do you know that they are now refered to as SuperDisks. lol I wish Imation didn't discontinue them... Considering my drive doesn't read its own disks anymore and I can't find a replacement at CompUSA (too lazy to search the net ATM).

Look into installing Windows XP on your desktop and laptop. Perhaps Windows Embedded 2003 on your PDA. You shouldn't be disappointed.

Shingo`
December 1st, 2003, 04:37 AM
I took the 4.3 out. Forgot to mention that earlier. I added a new 120GB from Maxtor and a 120 from WD. Also, my motherboard has Firewire-800 support and SATA in its logic (hehe, faster than IDE/EIDE/SCSI!)

DarkNido
December 1st, 2003, 05:45 AM
My PC:

400MHz MAD K6/2 Proccessor
10GB C: Drive
20GB D: Drive
52X CD Rom Drive
96MB Memory
Windows 98SE
10/100MB Network Card
32MB PCI Nvida TNT64Pro
TV Card
Creative SoundBlaster 16Bit Sound Card
100MB Parallel Zip Drive

Planing to built a new system next year.

Shining Arcanine
December 1st, 2003, 06:51 AM
I took the 4.3 out. Forgot to mention that earlier. I added a new 120GB from Maxtor and a 120 from WD. Also, my motherboard has Firewire-800 support and SATA in its logic (hehe, faster than IDE/EIDE/SCSI!)
I would point out all of the flaws in that post and the ones I didn't point out early that indicate to any computer person that you are lying but I will leave you to figure them out yourself.

In other news... The computer world is not big enough for Microsoft. It is expanding to cars:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20031130/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_cars

I can't wait to get a car running MS Windows.

Edit: People are already pirating Longhorn:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=569&ncid=738&e=1&u=/nm/20031201/tc_nm/tech_microsoft_piracy_dc

MS has to put a stop to this. These pirates are making it harder to install Windows (product activation). -_-

Harbinger of Chaos
December 1st, 2003, 11:49 AM
I'd rather avoid it, as Windows does crash. Think about this, even if it is running a stable version, there is still the inevitability that it will crash. Imagine driving your car down the road. All the electronics go out. You crash and have to stay in hospital. I'd rather keep cars the way they are, thank-you-very-much.

MS has to put a stop to this. These pirates are making it harder to install Windows (product activation). -_-
I agree. Piracy is bad. The thing is, Microsoft released a whitepaper on their own security, that says they will probably come under a sucessful attack, that could "could compromise the High Value and/or Highest Value data class." That's stuff like source code, and human resource data. I'd steer clear, what if instead of taking their code, someone puts a virus into the core of it?

Read http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/11/22/2154202 for more.

EDIT: (As to not double post...)
Wow, you have an LS-120 Drive too? Do you know that they are now refered to as SuperDisks. lol I wish Imation didn't discontinue them... Considering my drive doesn't read its own disks anymore and I can't find a replacement at CompUSA (too lazy to search the net ATM).
I have a fe LS-120s lying around, but I rarely use disks anymore anyways.

Look into installing Windows XP on your desktop and laptop. Perhaps Windows Embedded 2003 on your PDA. You shouldn't be disappointed.
No way, I dislike Windows. Closed source, and security flaws. The only thing I use it for is games, and XP can't support all of the games I have, so 98 is the best for that.
Embedded? No. Never. First, this device is MEANT to run Linux, it came with it. I'm just building a custom version. Second, I love how Linux works, and again, closed source, security flaws, etc.

Shingo`
December 1st, 2003, 12:13 PM
MAD? I think you mean AMD.

Plan right. Can you afford a nVidia GeForce4, and a better processor?

Haruka
December 1st, 2003, 12:53 PM
Linux= Opensource
Opensource= Bad

If a operating system is open source, you are even at a higher risk of getting hacked. o_O

I use Windows XP before and I was satified(I have a firewall so no hacker can get in).

Shingo`
December 1st, 2003, 01:08 PM
Does anyone have a spare LS-120? I have five of those disks and my files are unreadable -_-

Kairi
December 1st, 2003, 02:51 PM
I would point out all of the flaws in that post and the ones I didn't point out early that indicate to any computer person that you are lying but I will leave you to figure them out yourself.

In other news... The computer world is not big enough for Microsoft. It is expanding to cars:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20031130/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_cars

Edit: People are already pirating Longhorn:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=569&ncid=738&e=1&u=/nm/20031201/tc_nm/tech_microsoft_piracy_dc

Product activation is becoming more and more common, and it is a pain. From it screwing up to not being able to use it on things that aren't hooked to the internet, although rare, make it a hassle. There are alpha builds of Longhorn on KaZaA I believe. This is mostly a leaking issue as opposed to when it's released and pirated.

Haruka
December 1st, 2003, 02:58 PM
Why use the pre-alpha releases? They have alot of bugs and it can ruin your computer.. EEK! this must stop.

Shining Arcanine
December 1st, 2003, 06:22 PM
I'd rather avoid it, as Windows does crash. Think about this, even if it is running a stable version, there is still the inevitability that it will crash. Imagine driving your car down the road. All the electronics go out. You crash and have to stay in hospital. I'd rather keep cars the way they are, thank-you-very-much.

Cars already have digitalized parts and they already crash. They have been for decades.

I agree. Piracy is bad. The thing is, Microsoft released a whitepaper on their own security, that says they will probably come under a sucessful attack, that could "could compromise the High Value and/or Highest Value data class." That's stuff like source code, and human resource data. I'd steer clear, what if instead of taking their code, someone puts a virus into the core of it?

MS was refering to DDOS and DRDOS attacks. Hacking is not one of the things MS has to worry about.

Not to mention the only way a virus is getting into Windows is that if it is an internal job and MS has records of every modification made to the Windows build. Not to mention it takes 30 days of running it with no problems on every computer in MS before they release a new version of windows to manufactering.

If you have some time, here are some resources for information on them:

http://www.grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm
http://www.grc.com/dos/drdos.htm

They are good reading.

No way, I dislike Windows. Closed source, and security flaws. The only thing I use it for is games, and XP can't support all of the games I have, so 98 is the best for that.
Embedded? No. Never. First, this device is MEANT to run Linux, it came with it. I'm just building a custom version. Second, I love how Linux works, and again, closed source, security flaws, etc.

Closed source is good. It is much more secure than open source. By the way, if Linux had 95% of the market, I guarentee there will immediately be super virus that infects every version of Linux. Any idea how long this went unpatched and how easier it was for a virus writer to find it to find it:

http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/03/12/01/2133249.shtml?tid=106&tid=185&tid=90

With Windows security holes are normally found by either MS or a researcher since virus writers have no clue where to start looking and researchers have nothing better to do than constantly security audit files.

Product activation is becoming more and more common, and it is a pain. From it screwing up to not being able to use it on things that aren't hooked to the internet, although rare, make it a hassle. There are alpha builds of Longhorn on KaZaA I believe. This is mostly a leaking issue as opposed to when it's released and pirated.

It is still illegal and this build was meant for MSDN subscribers and the media only. Also, product activation may be a pain but it is only once.

Why use the pre-alpha releases? They have alot of bugs and it can ruin your computer.. EEK! this must stop.

They are meant for developers so they can develop programs that will work on Longhorn without application compatibility now rather than later.

Haruka
December 1st, 2003, 06:28 PM
So, It's not good for people that aren't developers then. Well, it takes programs to make your XP desktop as a longhorn the legal way... But the taskbar and the freatures are too different compared to Longhorn. :-/... It's very simple to find a fake imatation of longhorn. :P

Hiroshi Sotomura
December 1st, 2003, 09:29 PM
Product activation... every time you reinstall the system it becomes a pain.

Plus, I've seen Mac OS X Panther Developer Preview being streamed over the internet. Nothing else.

I also love to mention that with the Longhorn Builds being streamed and the one being pirated, there's no technical support. So your computer would stay buggy.

Of course, if I was a developer (MSDN subscriber) I'd run it on my PC emulation program (Virtual PC).

Harbinger of Chaos
December 1st, 2003, 10:29 PM
Closed source is good. It is much more secure than open source. By the way, if Linux had 95% of the market, I guarentee there will immediately be super virus that infects every version of Linux. Any idea how long this went unpatched and how easier it was for a virus writer to find it to find it:

http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/03/12/01/2133249.shtml?tid=106&tid=185&tid=90

Linux and other Unix based OSes are inherintely more secure. The root account is used to install software, and other stuff, but not to check e-mail, where most viruses are transmitted. In Windows, most people use the Admin account to do everyday work. In Linux/Unix-based OSes, most people (excluding Lindows users, BTW, never use Lindows) use a normal user account. Only root has access to the main part of the filesystem, and normal users only can access their home directories, which can easily be wiped clean. And, no, viruses cannot "escape" unless someone stupid changes the owner of the file to someone with power. Also, when a file is transmitted, it is not executable. In Windows, give a file .exe or .scr and it can be executed, but in Unix-based, you must change the file permissions to allow it to be executed in the first place, so nothing is automatically executed. Also, most *nix mail clients don't display HTML mail be default, but they display the code, or cut off most of the formatting, and display plain text, so no images, or applet, or whatever.
The exploit was only used once, to crash a couple machines before it was found and fixed. Most Windows exploits crash many more machines than that, before patched. And in Linux, if something isn't getting patched soon enough for your liking, patch it yourself, and then submit the patch for review, before it will be put into the kernel source tree.

Hiroshi Sotomura
December 2nd, 2003, 02:42 AM
Linux and other Unix based OSes are inherintely more secure. The root account is used to install software, and other stuff, but not to check e-mail, where most viruses are transmitted. In Windows, most people use the Admin account to do everyday work. In Linux/Unix-based OSes, most people (excluding Lindows users, BTW, never use Lindows) use a normal user account. Only root has access to the main part of the filesystem, and normal users only can access their home directories, which can easily be wiped clean. And, no, viruses cannot "escape" unless someone stupid changes the owner of the file to someone with power. Also, when a file is transmitted, it is not executable. In Windows, give a file .exe or .scr and it can be executed, but in Unix-based, you must change the file permissions to allow it to be executed in the first place, so nothing is automatically executed. Also, most *nix mail clients don't display HTML mail be default, but they display the code, or cut off most of the formatting, and display plain text, so no images, or applet, or whatever.
The exploit was only used once, to crash a couple machines before it was found and fixed. Most Windows exploits crash many more machines than that, before patched. And in Linux, if something isn't getting patched soon enough for your liking, patch it yourself, and then submit the patch for review, before it will be put into the kernel source tree. In response to this: Do you think Mac OS X can be included in "secure"?

:) I really want a Tablet PC when I get older. Too bad Apple hasn't got into Mac OS X for Tablets, nor did they actually enter the market... Ink (Graphics Tablet text conversion-on-screen) would do well. Just make the pen draw on the screen, and watch the excellent conversion go...

Shining Arcanine
December 2nd, 2003, 07:56 AM
The exploit was only used once, to crash a couple machines before it was found and fixed. Most Windows exploits crash many more machines than that, before patched. And in Linux, if something isn't getting patched soon enough for your liking, patch it yourself, and then submit the patch for review, before it will be put into the kernel source tree.

The admin account being used as a user is not inherently. Not to mention in Linux and Unix 9/10 times you know what the admin account is. Get a program on the PC and start cracking via the shell. Or just use that Linux exploit I mentioned. Inherently Windows (NT 5.1) is more secure, since you don't know what the darn admin account is. Did I mention Sun is following MS's lead with Solaris 10?

Try Outlook 2003 on a Windows PC and you will see that Outlook 2003 doesn't either.

Most Windows exploits are patched within 24 hours by MS and aren't installed because the user doesn't know how to install a patch. The Linux people who don't know how to install a patch don't patch either.

By the way, Lindows is great. It is all about user experience, just like Windows XP. Infact, it is Windows only competition in the home. Especially since Redhat says that home users should install Windows XP (NT 5.1).

By the way, you seem to be comparing what home users do with their computers to what enterprises do with their computers. Considering Linux is on many more computers in professional environments than it is in home environments (Linux: 1% Mac: 2% Windows 97%), we should be comparing server operating systems. Windows 2003 Server (NT 5.2) is superior to Linux. Many of the exploits in Windows (NT) affect versions prior to it. Not to mention it is easier to use, has lower TCO as a result, performs 2x higher, etc. Infact, my school uses it to run a domain (dual 2.4GHz Xeon w/1GB RAM) and it is super fast.

In response to this: Do you think Mac OS X can be included in "secure"?

:) I really want a Tablet PC when I get older. Too bad Apple hasn't got into Mac OS X for Tablets, nor did they actually enter the market... Ink (Graphics Tablet text conversion-on-screen) would do well. Just make the pen draw on the screen, and watch the excellent conversion go...

Get a Windows Tablet. You can't bash it until you have tried it. The only reason they haven't took off well is because not enough people have tried them.

Kairi
December 2nd, 2003, 10:43 AM
I personally would buy one of those laptops that can flip over into a tablet. It's not as portable, but it's a lot more powerful, and can have a keyboard when needed. Do those normal tablets have CD-ROM drives? I can't imagine, but a laptop would.

Haruka
December 2nd, 2003, 12:15 PM
If you can't afford the tablet, get a Pocket PC. It has functions like a tablet PC but you cannot use Desktop Programs.... sadly..

Hiroshi Sotomura
December 5th, 2003, 05:41 PM
Toshiba ain't supporting the PDA platform anymore...
I want a tablet... and a Pocket PC.

Haruka
December 5th, 2003, 06:31 PM
Well, I wounder why... :-/

I am getting a Dell one for christmas.

Hiroshi Sotomura
December 5th, 2003, 07:13 PM
Longhorn Builds being streamed and the one being pirated have no technical support. So your computer would stay buggy.

Haruka
December 5th, 2003, 07:16 PM
Well, people shouldn't try it anyway.. it's buggy... only developers..

Shining Arcanine
December 6th, 2003, 06:11 AM
Well, I wounder why... :-/

I am getting a Dell one for christmas.
I would love to get a Dell Axim for christmas but I need to upgrade my desktop's power and cooling parts. You won't be disappointed with a Dell Axim.

Hiroshi Sotomura
December 7th, 2003, 09:07 PM
I just recieved my Apple Developer Newsletter.

Fortune Names Power Mac G5 One of 25 Best Products of Year

Fortune magazine names the Power Mac G5 as one of "The 25 Best
Products of the Year," writing, "The G5's anodized aluminum
enclosure isn't just an aesthetic home run: Its perforations keep
the computer from overheating. Two sleek handles make the machine
easy to move. And the G5's 64-bit processor is one of the fastest
around."
http://www.fortune.com/fortune/photoessay/0,18467,546679-10,00.html
http://www.apple.com/hotnews/
Any comment? Any "hate-Apple" comments?

Shining Arcanine
December 8th, 2003, 08:16 AM
If it is a newsletter about Apple, do you think that they would have anything negitive to say?

Benchmarks have already proved that Apple:

1. Lied when it published its benchmarks.

2. Uses one of the lowest performing processors on the market.

I don't have an Apple case so I haven't been able to see if Apple's eye candy case helps with heat. If I did, I would put my computer's MotherBoard, Processor, etc in it (if it doesn't fit, the cases are incomparable) and see if it helps with the heat situation. If it makes a difference, I doubt it will help much any more than a those specially designed ATX cases that cope with heat much better than the standard ones.

Hiroshi Sotomura
December 8th, 2003, 11:36 AM
Apple tried to attract attention when doing this.
It's not to say it's the slowest around.
It's just that their plans backfired when they made some fancy ads for it when they obviously weren't true.

But I still like the G4 I have. NO plans for a metal G5. I marveled over a PowerBook G4 running Panther... Titanium... Unique I say.

It was actually an Apple Developer Connection newsletter.

Shining Arcanine
December 8th, 2003, 05:28 PM
Personally, I like the standard ATX case design. However Apple is welcome to innovate. It won't affect my decision when I purchase a computer through.

Btw, Apple went way too far with those advertisements. They provided forged information to back it up.

Hiroshi Sotomura
December 8th, 2003, 10:07 PM
I like Macs because of the way they are. The speed doesn't quite matter to me, it's the usability.

Apple had bloated their ads too much. A different slogan would have done them some good. The G5 Processor was done by IBM. Motorola was quite slow at their speed doings.
The G5 is very powerful though, powerful enough to become really hot. But I prefer my G4 over the G5, as it's more expandable.
Revisions of the G5 may get the speed very high, since this is like the first G4, that again backfired.

Motorola (I heard) quit the group, so it was up to Apple and IBM.

The G5's OS has cooling features that uses the computer and Mac OS X 10.2.7 to turn on fans when needed. However it will get really hot depending on where you are. But it's quiet.

I never thought the G5 would become really fast, and I haven't changed my opinion. If I said it was the fastest and people then did actual tests, my "fact" would dry into an opinion.

Shining Arcanine
December 9th, 2003, 04:48 AM
Macintosh computers have had the same classic user interface for years and have never done anything to increase ease of use. Each release was the same boring user interface while MS made Windows easier and easier and easier to use with each release.

Laptops have had the ability to slow down or even turn off their fans for years, it is nothing new:

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/precisioncooling.htm

That is a feature on my desktop. It doesn't make much of a difference other than slightly cut down on noise. A new PC Fan, Heatsink and PSU I will be installing later this month will cut down on noise more than software will.

Hiroshi Sotomura
December 9th, 2003, 12:06 PM
Apple started making other hardware for the Macintosh (and then eventually for the PC). Steve Jobs returned in 1998, and bumped one project to be Mac OS X. THey thought the Mac OS was old. The interface hadn't changed, until 1996, when Mac OS 8 made an appearance with a nice platinum interface. Mac OS 8.5 (1998) introduced a really nice noisy feature called Theme Sounds. When you click an object, drag something, click a button, or anything else, it would make a cool little sound. There are dozens of Soundsets all over the internet, and still are for Mac OS 8.5 - Mac OS 9.2.2.

Mac OS 9 was introduced in late 1999, and featured many new enhancements, including File Security, Multiple users, Internet Searches with Sherlock 2 and more.
The Multiple Users function was always much more powerful than it was on a Windows Computer, and still currently supercedes it.

Mac OS X (2000) was a big shocker to many Mac users. Because it had a major overhaul. In fact, it was not based off the old Mac OS by one but, but UNIX.

A feature that came in Panther now, called Expos, is a very good feature in the OS. It saves time. Using F9, F10 and F11 keys, you can hide the windows on your desktop, move all windows covering your desktop, and show another application's windows. Then there was home folder security. Your "home" folder is encrypted with AES-128. And then there's secure delete. You can empty the Trash with 7 passes of random data. People argue that Panther's Fast User Switching was copied from Windows. While that may be correct, it is indeed fast. Mac OS X Panther also reintroduces some old features in Mac OS 9, including Scheduled Startup Time and Shutdown Time. Let's say Longhorn has a long road to catch up on, because there is going to be something after Panther in 2004. That will supercede Windows yet again. Panther requires a Mac that has a G3 processor or later, and costs $129 US.

-Vito Winstrate

Shining Arcanine
December 9th, 2003, 06:28 PM
Pretty much all of the features you mentioned are in windows. Many features are copied from Windows. Windows copies a few too but far less than Macintosh does. Macintosh still boasts the classic document centric interface that it has had for years. Version 10.3 still boasts it (although it did copy the category view) while Windows has become more and more task centric since with Windows 95. Longhorn won't be doing catching up, it will be giving Apple more work to do in order to catch up.

Haruka
December 9th, 2003, 06:36 PM
Well, I don't think a Apple comes with a Web Server, eh? -_-... I can't get it working though... *.*

Well, Apple has way too much eye candy... Should we looking at proformance, not eye candy?

Shining Arcanine
December 9th, 2003, 06:41 PM
Windows XP Professional comes with a server. I am running it on my home network. ^_^

Haruka
December 9th, 2003, 06:45 PM
D'oh! It's hard to configure though... 0.0.. I cant get ftp working, but who cares... It's local..

^^;

Shining Arcanine
December 9th, 2003, 06:48 PM
I got it running, I didn't bother with FTP but I am sure that is easy too. Did you install FTP?

Haruka
December 9th, 2003, 07:11 PM
I installed FTP but I can't upload anything... though... -_-..

Why I waste that diskspace.

Hiroshi Sotomura
December 9th, 2003, 11:26 PM
Apple's XServe was in the market, and it got a high scorer in the customer review.

Mac OS X 10.3 won Operating System of the year. They swapped the Eye Candy on it for performance.

Shining Arcanine
December 10th, 2003, 09:43 AM
Haruka, did you install the IIS Snap-in and go to computer Management? ^_^;;

Vito Winstrate, exactly which site/magazine awarded Macintosh the OS of the year award? Macintosh fan magazine?

Hiroshi Sotomura
December 10th, 2003, 11:21 AM
Nope. Quite frankly, it was Australian Personal Computer Magazine.

Haruka
December 10th, 2003, 02:50 PM
Haruka, did you install the IIS Snap-in and go to computer Management? ^_^;;

Vito Winstrate, exactly which site/magazine awarded Macintosh the OS of the year award? Macintosh fan magazine?
Yep... It's already installed on the computer.

punkie90
December 10th, 2003, 03:07 PM
I've got a computer question. What speed of internetis faster? 1.2 mb or 258k!???

Shining Arcanine
December 10th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Nope. Quite frankly, it was Australian Personal Computer Magazine.

Then they are biased. Btw, we can talk about ratings all we want. For example, PCMagizine rated Windows XP Home the best operating system.

Haruka, then you misconfigured something. I have never played with IIS + FTP so I wouldn't know what that would be.

punkie90, a 1.2Mbit/sec connection is faster than a 256KBit/sec connection.

Haruka
December 10th, 2003, 08:21 PM
Haruka, then you misconfigured something. I have never played with IIS + FTP so I wouldn't know what that would be.

I have to fix that problem later when I have time.

Hiroshi Sotomura
December 11th, 2003, 12:13 AM
Then they are biased. Btw, we can talk about ratings all we want. For example, PCMagizine rated Windows XP Home the best operating system.

punkie90, a 1.2Mbit/sec connection is faster than a 256KBit/sec connection. Actually they aren't biased on the Mac OS. They mainly use PCs, mind you. And Panther got Editor's Choice and if you want to know why they said that Panther got their OS of the year?

They said Windows XP, which was supposed to be stable, had a lot of viruses and hacking holes that Mac OS X would otherwise be unaffected by. It is based on UNIX, after all.

Does Windows have Spring loaded windows? No.
Is Windows based off the UNIX core which makes it very stable? No.
Switching users with a menu? No.
Expos? No.

They've been freely adding compatibility features to Mac OS X, and did Microsoft pay them back? Not without turning on Windows File Sharing.

Anyway, off that topic.

I want an iPod. Kairi, what model have you got?

Shingo`
December 11th, 2003, 06:26 AM
20GB iPod I got. -_- Its buttons are quite annoying to use without some kind of case or cover on it.

Kairi
December 11th, 2003, 09:15 AM
Actually they aren't biased on the Mac OS. They mainly use PCs, mind you. And Panther got Editor's Choice and if you want to know why they said that Panther got their OS of the year?

They said Windows XP, which was supposed to be stable, had a lot of viruses and hacking holes that Mac OS X would otherwise be unaffected by. It is based on UNIX, after all.

Expos? No.

They've been freely adding compatibility features to Mac OS X, and did Microsoft pay them back? Not without turning on Windows File Sharing.

Anyway, off that topic.

The latest one with the dock, 10 GB. I don't have 10+ GB of music by far. o_o; It certainly is nice though. I keep it plugged into the firewire port in the back of my PC. First Firewire device I've ever used actually.

Hiroshi Sotomura
December 11th, 2003, 12:13 PM
As soon as I actually get one it might be the first device I use with the FireWire port on the G4.

punkie90
December 11th, 2003, 01:44 PM
Should i get.. Adelphia dssl, or bellsouth fats accaes, or belll south fast access lite?

Haruka
December 11th, 2003, 01:54 PM
Actually they aren't biased on the Mac OS. They mainly use PCs, mind you. And Panther got Editor's Choice and if you want to know why they said that Panther got their OS of the year?

Expos? No.

Anyway, off that topic.

Well, ether way, you can get viruses without a virus scan..

I don't have a iPod and I am not planing to get one. It's a price as a Pocket PC and... you can only play music?

Shining Arcanine
December 12th, 2003, 07:40 PM

Expos? No.

Anyway, off that topic.

Stability and Security are two different things. The reason there are viruses on Windows XP are for 2 reasons. Users are ignorant and virus writers specifically target it since they consider it worth their time. People's ignorance is not a reason to use a different platform that does that same thing just slower. Why? Because it makes it worth the effort virus writers put into writing viruses for that platform. Do you know that it took 6 years for virus writers to target Windows NT? Why? Because after 6 years they considered it worth their time. If virus writers considered it worth their time, Apple would be under fire for security all of the time. Btw, since you can't tell the difference between stability and security, I will spell it out for you. When a computer is stable, it does not crash often. When a comptuer is secure, it doesn't get hacked often.

Do you know that Unix is a dead operating system? Unix was written in the 80s. It did not have a GUI, all it did was have commandline that you typed extremely complex strings into. Companies that are still running Unix are replacing them either Linux or Windows computers. With Mac OS X Apple brought a license from SCO (if it didn't they would be bring sued around now), slapped on a GUI, and then made a ton of modifications to add features. Nothing revolutionary there.

By the way, since Mac OS X is based on Unix I figure it has the same security holes. E.g. Unix Raw Sockets that allow people to send packets from a computer that look like another computer sent them.

punkie90
December 13th, 2003, 06:16 AM
WOW^ . Well ALl I have to say, Is that I might be getting a computer in my room, And I might get a betwork, so both ca be online. How much a month that costss extra!?

Shining Arcanine
December 13th, 2003, 07:44 AM
You just buy the router, cables, and lan cards if you need to. You don't pay extra a month...

punkie90
December 13th, 2003, 07:50 AM
Oh really, Hoiw much would the router cables etc costs?

Shining Arcanine
December 13th, 2003, 07:53 AM
It depends on the model. Here is one:

http://linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=29&prid=561

Do a Froogle search on it.

punkie90
December 13th, 2003, 08:00 AM
I have only dail up though!

Shining Arcanine
December 13th, 2003, 10:58 AM
Get Broadband... Even through there are certain methods to share dial up, it is not worth it.

punkie90
December 13th, 2003, 11:09 AM
It's not! Well, What is the cheapest broad band out there? What is beter dsl or broadband?

Shining Arcanine
December 13th, 2003, 11:32 AM
DSL is broadband... Get cable. It is probably the best broadband access out there.

punkie90
December 13th, 2003, 11:51 AM
I know. But I have to go cheap. What is the cheapest broadband out there?

Shining Arcanine
December 14th, 2003, 10:03 AM
http://www.dslreports.com/

Go there, type in your zip code and find out.

punkie90
December 14th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Wow! they have some sheap broadband.. Umm, is the $7 dollar a month good? Is seems really cheap!

Arwen
December 14th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Cheap is not always better though... Common Sense!

Hiroshi Sotomura
December 15th, 2003, 12:21 PM
I'm stuck with Dial-up. But it is fast enough for me at most times.

Arwen
December 15th, 2003, 12:26 PM
I am stuck with it also, but a faster processor and memory will always make your page viewing faster, though.

Edit: I made a typo... o.o

punkie90
December 15th, 2003, 01:25 PM
I know.I hate dial up! Maybe in a few months my mom will buy dsl MAYBE! It was one of those things with parents!

Arwen
December 15th, 2003, 05:52 PM
Well, Yets get off that topic, okay? ^^;

Shining Arcanine
December 16th, 2003, 09:40 AM
I know.I hate dial up! Maybe in a few months my mom will buy dsl MAYBE! It was one of those things with parents!
Get them to start viewing music and video that websites have and see how fast they think dialup is too slow.

Hiroshi Sotomura
December 16th, 2003, 11:22 AM
The thing is, once you've made the switch you'll never want to go back.

Shining Arcanine
December 16th, 2003, 11:42 AM
And that is a bad thing because... ?

Hey, what memory do you put into your computers? Now this is the only memory I put in my computer:

http://www.corsairmemory.com/

Kairi
December 16th, 2003, 12:12 PM
Bah, pdfs. I don't have Adobe on here at all to read them. How much are their 1 GB sticks?

Arwen
December 16th, 2003, 12:12 PM
I have a Generic 128MB non-pairity that was preinstalled and a PNY 256MB Non-pairity.

Atleast I have more memory now. ^_^

Hiroshi Sotomura
December 16th, 2003, 12:45 PM
I don't know where my RAM is from, considering it's secondhand. But I know it's PC100.
EDIT: I'll need to recheck next time I open the G4.

Shining Arcanine
December 16th, 2003, 02:15 PM
Bah, pdfs. I don't have Adobe on here at all to read them. How much are their 1 GB sticks?
Kairi, they don't have 1Gb modules yet since the retail value is over $600. New computers now a days have 4 slots so you can put in 4x512MB Modules for a total of 2GB of RAM.

Arwen, generic memory is generally more trouble than its worth since it can cause system crashes (yes, many of the crashes you blame on Windows are the memory's fault), underperform, etc. However, it is your choice and the low price is tempting. You should really consider name brand memory in future memory upgrades.

Kairi
December 16th, 2003, 02:18 PM
I know that, this computer has four 512s in it. Of what brand, Im sad to say unsure. Ill open her up later. I just figured someone wouldve pumped one out by now for the obscenely wealthy people. Anyways, off to check the RAM manufacturer.

Shining Arcanine
December 16th, 2003, 05:25 PM
It is probably Dell ram which is solid. Out of curiousity, why do you need more than 2GB of RAM? ^_^;;

Kairi
December 16th, 2003, 05:36 PM
Oh, I dont. Im just curious about it. 2 GB is plenty even with my page file off, which I might add I havent had a problem having it off.

Arwen
December 16th, 2003, 05:38 PM
Darn! You guys have more memory than me!!!! I only have 386MB!!!! :-|

punkie90
December 17th, 2003, 02:09 PM
I'm nopt shure.. I think i have like 600....

Kairi
December 17th, 2003, 03:22 PM
One thing that bugs me when kids take snapshots of their computers desktops is the sheer amount of things in their taskbar eating memory. I imagine most kids download so many things over time and have so much running all at startup, which is the reason they complain their computers slow. http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm (http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm) is a great way to find which services in Windows XP to turn off. Not exactly for the amateur, but its not rocket science. This can really help speed you up. Get Ad-Aware and run it once a week or so, clear up that PC of all the junk. I clear my prefetch and temp folders once in a while too.
http://www.acelogix.com/
Ace Utilities has some nice tools for reg cleaning, tweaking, and cleaning. Its shareware so its a thirty day free trial, but at least use it for that long.

punkie90
December 17th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Well. For me I don't really care about this computer * kicks it * it a xp, but i don't like it. If i get my aunts compaq i will be haoppy! I will keep it good also.

Shining Arcanine
December 19th, 2003, 09:56 AM
Oh, I dont. Im just curious about it. 2 GB is plenty even with my page file off, which I might add I havent had a problem having it off.

I haven't had a problem with 1GB of RAM. I have no need for 2GB even if I run the most memory intensive applications simultaneously (if I start programming C# I will probably need 4GB). ^_^

Darn! You guys have more memory than me!!!! I only have 386MB!!!! :-|

Don't you mean 384MB?

I'm nopt shure.. I think i have like 600....

It probably is 640MB.

One thing that bugs me when kids take snapshots of their computers desktops is the sheer amount of things in their taskbar eating memory. I imagine most kids download so many things over time and have so much running all at startup, which is the reason they complain their computers slow. http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm (http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm) is a great way to find which services in Windows XP to turn off. Not exactly for the amateur, but its not rocket science. This can really help speed you up. Get Ad-Aware and run it once a week or so, clear up that PC of all the junk. I clear my prefetch and temp folders once in a while too.
http://www.acelogix.com/
Ace Utilities has some nice tools for reg cleaning, tweaking, and cleaning. Its shareware so its a thirty day free trial, but at least use it for that long.

When I started with computers I had a million and 1 things running under Win98. A utility for the time (the systray clock wasn't good enough for me), 2 virus scans, a firewall, AIM, MSN, Yahoo, etc running. The computer was painfully slow at 350MHz. To make things slower, when I first got it, it had 64MB of RAM which made the computer constantly swap to the 5400RPM 8.4GB HD. I put up with it but the blue screens occured 2-3 times a day for me. Probably since I installed an LS-120, Network card, and HD while Dell put in their computers the lowest Watt PSUs to save money. Low Wattage PSU + More components = Not enough power = System crashes. I didn't know any of this back then either. The computer was so unstable that looking at it the wrong way would make it crash. Everytime my mom walked into the room it crashed. ^_^;;

However, the upgrade to Win2k + NTFS helped speed things up 3 fold and by then I was starting to learn I didn't need a million and one things to start so that also helped. I still got BSoDs due to the fact that the PSU couldn't supply the computer with enough power but they were less frequent. Much less frequent. :D

Anyway, I've learned my lesson and my new computer is as solid as a rock. :D

Arwen
December 19th, 2003, 02:54 PM
Well, theres 1 lesson I learned. Never use Windows 98! ^_^

punkie90
December 19th, 2003, 05:09 PM
Well. I have a windows xp, 1.1 something...

Hiroshi Sotomura
December 19th, 2003, 05:27 PM
What about using Windows 2000 Professional? Windows XP is after all based on it... ME keeps forgetting settings. I went to Windows XP again.

Alyssa, I insist you go and buy Microsoft Virtual PC 2004. It's cheaper than VMWare, and features USB Support (don't they all?), up to 4 GB of RAM allowed on each Guest OS, has become stable and fast, four network adaptors for each PC and more.

punkie90
December 19th, 2003, 05:30 PM
Wow! How can I buy more ram?

Arwen
December 19th, 2003, 05:41 PM
What about using Windows 2000 Professional? Windows XP is after all based on it... ME keeps forgetting settings. I went to Windows XP again.

Alyssa, I insist you go and buy Microsoft Virtual PC 2004. It's cheaper than VMWare, and features USB Support (don't they all?), up to 4 GB of RAM allowed on each Guest OS, has become stable and fast, four network adaptors for each PC and more.
I already spend enough money on Virtual Machine Software and..... I don't want to buy anymore microsoft products except OS and Office.

BTW: vmWare supports more than 4 adapters and I think it supports up to 4 GB... but probally the new verson won't have that freature for windows. Also, more than 4 harddrives... and supports scsi...

punkie90
December 20th, 2003, 09:39 AM
I don't understand why you all spend so much money o your computer.DOn't you do other stuff than just sit on your computer all day. No ofense...

Arwen
December 20th, 2003, 09:58 AM
Well, I have to upgrade my computer... I need to get things faster and stuff... well basicly, a computer is a tool... not a toy after all.

Anyways... forgot to mention..

Techology is very powerful, very subductive, and very addictive... (just like ciggerettes but you are physically addicted to it.) People in the world that uses techology becomes very dependent to it and when a problem comes up, it becomes worse!

:P

Shining Arcanine
December 20th, 2003, 02:33 PM

Windows XP is superior to it. Thats why. Windows XP has a software firewall (step in the right direction), software restriction policies, prefetching, a much more advanced inductive user interface, video editing capabilites, more stable code (MS recoded several parts of it for stability, performance, and security), etc.

Why the sudden interest in Microsoft Virtual PC 2004? What do you like about it?

Wow! How can I buy more ram?

Go out and buy it. ;)

Well, I have to upgrade my computer... I need to get things faster and stuff... well basicly, a computer is a tool... not a toy after all.

Anyways... forgot to mention..

Techology is very powerful, very subductive, and very addictive... (just like ciggerettes but you are physically addicted to it.) People in the world that uses techology becomes very dependent to it and when a problem comes up, it becomes worse!

:P

Don't you mean inductive? Anyway, I am really enjoying my DVDs, pokemon video recording/editing capabilities, and online radio stations. Not to mention my ability to buy songs 88 cents a piece. :)

Arwen
December 20th, 2003, 02:41 PM
88 cents a peice... Do you use iTunes?

Shining Arcanine
December 20th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Nope. I go to Walmart. ^_^

Arwen
December 20th, 2003, 05:09 PM
Oh... I see! ^_^...

I don't have a walmart where I live.

punkie90
December 21st, 2003, 08:15 AM
Well. How much does more ram costs?

Kairi
December 21st, 2003, 08:48 AM
I haven't had a problem with 1GB of RAM. I have no need for 2GB even if I run the most memory intensive applications simultaneously (if I start programming C# I will probably need 4GB). ^_^
I cant imagine needing that much for anything, unless youre just doing everything possible to tax your system. o_o;
Don't you mean 384MB?
She probably does. 256+128=384 Unless she somehow obtained a stick of 130? o_o;;;;
Anyway, I've learned my lesson and my new computer is as solid as a rock. :D
I learned, but that Gateway was a cesspool of problems. Looking back though, I learned a lot about computers from having to fix it so often. Before I got it, I thought everything was the hard drive. Like, the size of it was the speed and graphics capability of the computer too. ^_^;;

Shining Arcanine
December 21st, 2003, 09:21 AM
Well. How much does more ram costs?
That depends on what you need, get, how much of it you need, and where you go.

unless youre just doing everything possible to tax your system.

I am (I set processor affinity so video editing only uses 1 CPU) but still can't manage to get a performance hit. lol

Btw, it is possible to have 256+128+2. I don't think they make 2MB sticks anymore through.

Arwen
December 21st, 2003, 01:09 PM
Well, is it possible if you overclock your processor and it can go on fire? I will be terrorified if it happens.

punkie90
December 21st, 2003, 01:13 PM
Well, Where is the best place to buy ram.. How much would 1 gb costs? or 300 mb?

Arwen
December 21st, 2003, 01:14 PM
Well, Where is the best place to buy ram.. How much would 1 gb costs? or 300 mb?
1GB costs alot and your computer may not support it. I would go for a 256MB, if you need more, buy a 516MB stick of memory.

^_^

punkie90
December 21st, 2003, 01:21 PM
How much might that 256mb cost? And umm. Why wouldn't my computer be able to take the 1 gb? Would i need to buy something so that it would be able to take it?

Arwen
December 21st, 2003, 01:39 PM
No, Each computer has a max of memory that it can take... add too much will make your computer refuse to start up.

A stick of 256MB is around 60-80 dollars

Kairi
December 21st, 2003, 02:09 PM
Well, is it possible if you overclock your processor and it can go on fire? I will be terrorified if it happens.Actually, if you have a computer from Dell Gateway HP etc, you cant overclock. Youd have to swap out the motherboard. The ones in major manufactures computers are built with Intel. It basically means they are stable, but can never be overclocked.

Arwen
December 21st, 2003, 06:21 PM
Well, hopefully... it doesn't happen on my IBM... because it's 5 years old. o.o

Shining Arcanine
December 21st, 2003, 08:08 PM
Well, is it possible if you overclock your processor and it can go on fire? I will be terrorified if it happens.

They don't go on fire, they explode.

I only buy corsair memory (corsairmemory.com) but Crucial's lookup feature is good for finding out how much RAM your computer can address.

No, Each computer has a max of memory that it can take... add too much will make your computer refuse to start up.

A stick of 256MB is around 60-80 dollars

The price depends on the manufacter, memory type, etc. I paid $200-300 (can't recall the exact price, I think it was $294 but I am not sure) for my two 512MB sticks.

Well, hopefully... it doesn't happen on my IBM... because it's 5 years old. o.o

You didn't overclock it and you can't overclock it if you wanted to so don't worry.

Hiroshi Sotomura
December 21st, 2003, 08:17 PM
Longhorn looks promising. WinFS is not a file system replacement, and has features like the XML taskbar...

punkie90
December 21st, 2003, 09:02 PM
Where can I get Crucials?

Hiroshi Sotomura
December 22nd, 2003, 01:33 AM
So have any of you been to the iTunes Music Store?
I should give you all iTunes Certificates and Allowances... $5.00 for Kairi, $2 for Arwen, 99c for Shining Arcanine... just joking. But if I was in America I would...

Shining Arcanine
December 22nd, 2003, 03:57 AM
Where can I get Crucials?

Crucial.com

Btw, I didn't recommend Crucial's memory, I recommended using thier lookup tool to find out how much RAM your PC can support.

So have any of you been to the iTunes Music Store?
I should give you all iTunes Certificates and Allowances... $5.00 for Kairi, $2 for Arwen, 99c for Shining Arcanine... just joking. But if I was in America I would...

No, I go to Walmart and only buy a couple of songs. 88 cents a song. :D Seeing 88 cent charges on my mastercard were a first. lol

Kairi
December 22nd, 2003, 07:35 AM
How is Wal*Marts selection anyways? Im just curious. Seeing how everyone has to have a music service, next Bisquik? @_@;

Shining Arcanine
December 22nd, 2003, 09:40 AM
It has hundreds of thousands of songs... Only one from the pokemon cds through. ^_^;;

Hiroshi Sotomura
December 22nd, 2003, 01:16 PM
It has hundreds of thousands of songs... Only one from the pokemon cds through. ^_^;; It's only 11c more...
Attached is a screenshot of the only thing that turned up when I searched for "Pokmon" in the iTunes Music Store. I can actually preview the songs before I buy them.
http://pmtn.aqua-network.com/content/itunesthumb.jpg (http://pmtn.aqua-network.com/content/itunesmusicstoresearch.jpg)
Click to enlarge.

punkie90
December 22nd, 2003, 01:23 PM
I don't have any music downloaders... Don't want them....
and here .. is that good or bad? http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=HP%2BPavilion+300+Series&mfr=HP&cat=RAM&model=Pavilion+310n&submit=Go

Dizzy
December 22nd, 2003, 01:24 PM
Kazaa is bad news so dont go near it. I have my school's File-Sharer which is perfectly legal lol ^_^, Im so Special .....

Kairi
December 22nd, 2003, 01:28 PM
We were talking about legal ones where you pay money for each track you receive. ^_^

Dizzy
December 22nd, 2003, 01:30 PM
Oh LOL, my school's is legal you dont have to pay though, its more like a briefcase than a file-sharer, Because each student gets 10mb worth of space for there Online Portfolio but you can still access your friends file on it.

Shining Arcanine
December 22nd, 2003, 02:03 PM
It's only 11c more...
Attached is a screenshot of the only thing that turned up when I searched for "Pokmon" in the iTunes Music Store. I can actually preview the songs before I buy them.
http://pmtn.aqua-network.com/content/itunesthumb.jpg (http://pmtn.aqua-network.com/content/itunesmusicstoresearch.jpg)
Click to enlarge.

Walmart gives 30 second previews of the music in its store. I just had to get the pokemon song from the chipmunk album because of that. lol

Arwen
December 22nd, 2003, 03:20 PM
I buy the actual CD instead of downloading it for free. I don't have the suffificent connections to buy and download any music...

Q Man
December 22nd, 2003, 04:32 PM
I rarely, if ever, download music. Its everybody else in my family (especially my 3-years-older brother and my stepdad that do most of the downloading)... I just grab what interests me from them...

punkie90
December 22nd, 2003, 04:34 PM
Hmm, if I ver listen to music on the internet, its on msn music...

Hiroshi Sotomura
December 22nd, 2003, 05:07 PM
My Apple Developer Connection Newsletter came in again.
Here's a link to an article on Apple.com's Press Release Section about the music store's popularity.
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/dec/15itunes.html
If you want your site to follow web standards, try this tip page.
http://developer.apple.com/internet/bestwebdev.html

Q Man
December 22nd, 2003, 05:10 PM
I would never endorse Apple by doing that... Granted, I would never (wittingly) endorse Apple at all, so... :P

Shining Arcanine
December 22nd, 2003, 06:14 PM
I buy the actual CD instead of downloading it for free. I don't have the suffificent connections to buy and download any music...

I pay for the things that I download.

My Apple Developer Connection Newsletter came in again.
Here's a link to an article on Apple.com's Press Release Section about the music store's popularity.
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/dec/15itunes.html
If you want your site to follow web standards, try this tip page.
http://developer.apple.com/internet/bestwebdev.html

Of course Apple would say that it is popular. It is their store.

punkie90
December 23rd, 2003, 07:33 AM
Hmm. Hi guys/girls. I decided to just get new speakers. I sound card.And I new muicrophone after christmas! For my somputer. Of course!

Shining Arcanine
December 23rd, 2003, 07:35 AM
What types? The 5.1 Altec speakers that Dell carries I have my eye on. ^_^

punkie90
December 23rd, 2003, 05:04 PM
hmm. Just regular speakers. I don't want to get 5.1 .. too expensive! I owuld only get the ones that i could plug into my xbox also!

Arwen
December 23rd, 2003, 05:14 PM
I have speakers from Dell, but I am not sure if they are 5.1

Kairi
December 23rd, 2003, 05:20 PM
I have Altec Lansing speakers, but no where to put the back channels. ^_^;

ironman
December 23rd, 2003, 05:29 PM
my computer is old like 4 years but its cool my dad is a manager were he works at so he gots hookups

Windows 98
ethernet
Pentium 3
CD Burner 24x
DVD Player
Intel Camera
20'' inch monitor

Hiroshi Sotomura
December 24th, 2003, 01:35 AM
New topic!

"What computers do your school use, what operating system, and what are their specifications?"
State brand, speed, etc.

Brand: Optima
OS: Windows 2000 Professional (set to work with a Novell Network)
Speed Unknown
Surface type (not a mini-tower)
Applications: Microsoft Office 2000, Quake II, Quake III Arena, WinLogo, Publisher, Others...
128 MB RAM
Brand new, came with Windows XP, although downgraded to Windows 2000 (NT 5.0). Has USB ports and Digital Audio ports.

Older ones
Brand: Compucon
OS: Windows NT 4.0 (uses Novell Networking for Windows NT)
Speed Unknown, but slow.
MINI TOWER
Applications: Office 2000, Quake II, Winlogo, Publisher, Others...
24 MB RAM?
Old, have USB posts though.

Kairi
December 24th, 2003, 06:54 AM
Since Im homeschooled lets see

Dell

3.0 GHz Pentium 4 with HT

2047 MB of RAM

120 GB Hardrive 7200 RPM

Windows XP

8 USB 2.0 Ports

2 Firewire ports

128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Ver. 6.14

etc etc. ;p

Kyosuke
December 24th, 2003, 07:09 AM
I really need a new graphic card, the one I found out I have is a 32MB Nvidia Geforce2 Mx200 with tv-out. But graphic cards are so expensive these days, oh well I'll just have to keep looking until I find one thats the right price for me.

Shining Arcanine
December 24th, 2003, 04:11 PM
I have speakers from Dell, but I am not sure if they are 5.1

5.1 means that there are 5 small speakers (satelites) and one huge box (subwoofer).

New topic!

"What computers do your school use, what operating system, and what are their specifications?"
State brand, speed, etc.

Brand: Optima
OS: Windows 2000 Professional (set to work with a Novell Network)
Speed Unknown
Surface type (not a mini-tower)
Applications: Microsoft Office 2000, Quake II, Quake III Arena, WinLogo, Publisher, Others...
128 MB RAM
Brand new, came with Windows XP, although downgraded to Windows 2000 (NT 5.0). Has USB ports and Digital Audio ports.

Older ones
Brand: Compucon
OS: Windows NT 4.0 (uses Novell Networking for Windows NT)
Speed Unknown, but slow.
MINI TOWER
Applications: Office 2000, Quake II, Winlogo, Publisher, Others...
24 MB RAM?
Old, have USB posts though.

My school has a domain server running Windows 2003 Server. It has dual 2.4GHz Xeons and 2GB of RAM. I don't know what kind of storage system it uses. It has a Cat5 network accross the school that is primarily composed of computers and clients. These computers run Windows 98. They are used to login to the domain and do not serve any purpose besides that. The other computers are staff only. They run Windows XP. I have no clue what their specifications are. The ethernet network is primarily used for teaching how to type and use simple applications. It has been recently outfitted with internet access soon after, corporate level filtering was installed and it is configured to the point where you can't access AIM or any internet proxies to access AIM through. ^_^;;

Since Im homeschooled lets see

Dell

3.0 GHz Pentium 4 with HT

2047 MB of RAM

120 GB Hardrive 7200 RPM

Windows XP

8 USB 2.0 Ports

2 Firewire ports

128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Ver. 6.14

etc etc. ;p

2 Firewire ports? You're lucky, I only have 1. ^_^;;

I really need a new graphic card, the one I found out I have is a 32MB Nvidia Geforce2 Mx200 with tv-out. But graphic cards are so expensive these days, oh well I'll just have to keep looking until I find one thats the right price for me.

Ugh... When upgrading, be sure that all of traces of the Nvidia drivers and software have been wiped from the system. Remove everything from Nvidia via the Add/Remove, use registry cleaners to remove all remaining Nvidia registry entries and delete all nvidia folders still on the computer.

Anyway, I recommend the ATI Radeon 9000. If you could pay a little more, go for the AIW version.

Kairi
December 24th, 2003, 06:31 PM
Funny thing is the old Gateway had three. @_@;;

Im sure there are things like Trillian that let AIM packets go over a different port though. =/

Hiroshi Sotomura
December 24th, 2003, 08:21 PM
Kairi did it have a Firewire PCI card?
My G4 has two Firewire ports. I've never tested it's speed though... (I might get a Firewire 800 PCI card to complement with it... or should I use USB 2.0?)

Is Firewire 800 faster than USB 2.0?

Kairi
December 24th, 2003, 08:22 PM
It had one frontal, and a firewire card on the back with two ports.

Hiroshi Sotomura
December 24th, 2003, 08:25 PM
Why didn't you transfer the existing card then?

Arwen
December 24th, 2003, 09:53 PM
I have no firewire ports, but the HP Desktop has 2 Firewire ports...

Well, I just got my PPC and it's great.

Shining Arcanine
December 26th, 2003, 05:59 PM
Kairi did it have a Firewire PCI card?
My G4 has two Firewire ports. I've never tested it's speed though... (I might get a Firewire 800 PCI card to complement with it... or should I use USB 2.0?)

Is Firewire 800 faster than USB 2.0?

Yeah it is unless it is on a 32bit PCI bus. The 32bit PCI bus is only 136Mbit/sec wide. The USB 2.0 bus is 480Mbit/sec wide. The firewire either has to be intergraded into the motherboard or on a 64bit PCI bus.

Hiroshi Sotomura
December 26th, 2003, 06:12 PM
I'd be glad my Firewire 400 is on my motherboard. I can replace the motherboard (and probably insert an Athlon Processor and motherboard) and simply look for the PCI slot. I have 3 unused ones.

If only I got a faster newer G4... with an AGP graphics card.

Shining Arcanine
December 26th, 2003, 06:56 PM
If you replace the motherboard, it wouldn't really be a G4 anymore. Especially since Macintosh is a PowerPC operating system while Athon requires an 86x. You won't be able to install Macintosh on it.

Btw, USB 2.0 is faster than Firewire 400. Also if you put a firewire card into a PCI slot, you won't be able to get the full 400MBit/sec. You will only get 136MBit/sec.

Hiroshi Sotomura
December 26th, 2003, 09:32 PM
I'm quite aware of the PCI thing. And anyway, I know that it wouldn't be a Mac G4 anymore, and I am aware that the PC uses different OSes. So I'd do so, and change the Hard Drive with one with Windows XP. ^^"

Shining Arcanine
December 30th, 2003, 06:23 PM
There is a preview of Windows XP Service Pack 2:

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/windowsxp_sp2_preview.asp

I like the New Features. I hope IE's CSS Level 2 support has been improved.

Arwen
December 30th, 2003, 08:33 PM
I like the new features... I can't wait to get it for myself.

Hiroshi Sotomura
December 31st, 2003, 02:05 PM
I knew about the XP service pack. Expect it Mid-2004. Plus, IE finally has a download manager... and caught up with other browsers (the Mac version always had it @.@).

Shining Arcanine
December 31st, 2003, 02:57 PM
I've been doing some reading and it seems that IE6 had a ton of improvements that I didn't notice:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnie60/html/whatsnewpublicpreview.asp?frame=true.asp

Ironically, almost all of those features I didn't notice. I can't wait for the features in IE 6.05, these I will notice. ^_^

Kairi
December 31st, 2003, 03:23 PM
Still no tabs, I'll stick with MYIE2 for IE for now.

Hiroshi Sotomura
December 31st, 2003, 03:41 PM
MyIE2 will be likely to also intergrate the features like IE's own download manager when Service Pack 2 is released. The shell should be installed with SP2 so expect that MyIE2 takes advantage of that shell.

Shining Arcanine
December 31st, 2003, 03:42 PM
That will of course be in a new version of MyIE2. The current one isn't designed for SP2. If it is, they must have gotten their hands on a beta.

Shining Arcanine
January 5th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Guys, want to hear what is in store for the future of Personal Computers? Here is a list of what should happen to 2004:

Motherboard designs are going to be replaced with the BTX form factor which better handles airflow and power. From what I'm hearing, BTX will probably require new cases and power supplies since the current ones are ATX. Here is a press release regarding it:

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20030916corp_b.htm

The P4 will get a new socket (LGA 775) and core. Intel will probably roll out the LGA 775 socket with the BTX form factor.

DDR-2 Memory will replace DDR Memory (vendors can't keep cranking MHz out of DDR forever).

PCI Express will replace PCI and AGP.

The SATA spec will (is starting to already) replace the PATA spec.

Those are pretty much all of the big changes for 2004 that I have heard/read about. Here are a few that are going to happen but I'm not exactly sure when:

The SATA 2 spec will be finshed and replace the SATA spec. Probably will be in 2005 but may be in 2006.

The BIOS will die. Intel is planning to replace it with Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI). A firmware interface (obviously) which is more efficent, boots faster, is more ready for new technologies, etc. Here is an article on it from Intel's site:

http://www.intel.com/technology/efi/

Some other things that are planned for the future are better graphics cards (obviously), Windows Longhorn (can't wait), etc. I have been hearing that ATI is developing a graphics card 2x faster than the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. I also have been hearing that they are developing a digital TV chip. I hope this will mean a future AIW card will be much faster than my current AIW 9700 Pro and will be able to receive HDTV signals. If so, I can't wait to start recording pokemon episodes and movies (I already have them on DVD but recording them is fun). ^_^

John Denver
January 5th, 2004, 06:37 PM
I heard that they are going to use a new carbon based system that will make computer hundreds of times faster...although, I can't really think of ANY programs that would need that kind of speed...yep

am I wrong or just not right?

BOO ya!

Hiroshi Sotomura
January 5th, 2004, 09:13 PM
>.>; Macs have long dumped the BIOS. All hail the system that was on a Mac for decades? I think not.

Shining Arcanine
January 6th, 2004, 05:19 PM
I heard that they are going to use a new carbon based system that will make computer hundreds of times faster...although, I can't really think of ANY programs that would need that kind of speed...yep

am I wrong or just not right?

BOO ya!
They aren't going to be using it anytime soon and they don't have plans to use it as it is research only at the moment.

Vito Winstrate, Macintosh holds 1-2% of the market. It wasn't revoluntionary to the industry because it only affected a small portion of the market.

Arwen
January 6th, 2004, 05:36 PM
Guys, want to hear what is in store for the future of Personal Computers? Here is a list of what should happen to 2004:

Motherboard designs are going to be replaced with the BTX form factor which better handles airflow and power. From what I'm hearing, BTX will probably require new cases and power supplies since the current ones are ATX. Here is a press release regarding it:

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20030916corp_b.htm

The P4 will get a new socket (LGA 775) and core. Intel will probably roll out the LGA 775 socket with the BTX form factor.

DDR-2 Memory will replace DDR Memory (vendors can't keep cranking MHz out of DDR forever).

PCI Express will replace PCI and AGP.

The SATA spec will (is starting to already) replace the PATA spec.

Those are pretty much all of the big changes for 2004 that I have heard/read about. Here are a few that are going to happen but I'm not exactly sure when:

The SATA 2 spec will be finshed and replace the SATA spec. Probably will be in 2005 but may be in 2006.

The BIOS will die. Intel is planning to replace it with Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI). A firmware interface (obviously) which is more efficent, boots faster, is more ready for new technologies, etc. Here is an article on it from Intel's site:

http://www.intel.com/technology/efi/

Some other things that are planned for the future are better graphics cards (obviously), Windows Longhorn (can't wait), etc. I have been hearing that ATI is developing a graphics card 2x faster than the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. I also have been hearing that they are developing a digital TV chip. I hope this will mean a future AIW card will be much faster than my current AIW 9700 Pro and will be able to receive HDTV signals. If so, I can't wait to start recording pokemon episodes and movies (I already have them on DVD but recording them is fun). ^_^
But, wouldn't new techology will raise prices on computers?

Hiroshi Sotomura
January 7th, 2004, 12:36 PM
That depends on what's being used.

I guess this means Apple has revolutionized the music market again. I want the iPod Mini. You'll be seeing in Target, and other stores soon enough (never were iPods contrained to a piece of the market, they're getting popular).

Tech Specs
[/size] Configurations (Mac & Windows)

Order no.[/size] http://a772.g.akamai.net/7/772/51/ef865529940b9e/www.apple.com/main/elements/spacer.gif
M9160LL/A (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?family=iPodmini)
M9437LL/A (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?family=iPodmini)
M9436LL/A (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?family=iPodmini)
M9435LL/A (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?family=iPodmini)
M9434LL/A (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?family=iPodmini) (silver) (blue) (green) (gold) (pink) http://a772.g.akamai.net/7/772/51/ef865529940b9e/www.apple.com/main/elements/spacer.gif
M9460LL/A (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?family=iPod) http://a772.g.akamai.net/7/772/51/ef865529940b9e/www.apple.com/main/elements/spacer.gif
M9244LL/A (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?family=iPod) http://a772.g.akamai.net/7/772/51/ef865529940b9e/www.apple.com/main/elements/spacer.gif
M9245LL/A (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?family=iPod) Storage 4GB(1) 15GB(1) 20GB(1) 40GB(1) Battery life 8 hours(4) Skip protection Up to 25 minutes Display 1.67-inch (diagonal) grayscale LCD with LED backlight 2-inch (diagonal) grayscale LCD with LED backlight Ports Dock connector, remote connector, stereo minijack Connectivity FireWire 400 and USB 2.0(3) through dock connector Charge time 3 hours (1-hour fast charge to 80% capacity) Audio support AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 (32 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible, AIFF (Mac only) and WAV Size 3.6 by 2.0 by 0.5 inches 4.1 by 2.4 by 0.62 inches 4.1 by 2.4 by 0.73 inches Weight 3.6 ounces 5.6 ounces 6.2 ounces Included software iTunes for Mac, iTunes for Windows(5) Included accessories Earbud headphones, belt clip, AC adapter, FireWire cable, USB 2.0 cable Earbud headphones, AC adapter, FireWire cable, 4-pin-to-6-pin FireWire adapter Earbud headphones, dock, remote, carrying case, AC adapter, FireWire cable and 4-pin-to-6-pin FireWire adapter Optional accessories Dock; armband (iPod mini only); in-ear headphones; earbud headphones and remote; carrying case; AC adapter; USB 2.0 cable; FireWire cable; USB 2.0 + FireWire cable; world travel adapter kit Mac requirements Macintosh computer with FireWire port; Mac OS X v10.1.5 or later (Mac OS X 10.3 or later recommended) Windows requirements PC with FireWire or USB 2.0 port, or FireWire or USB 2.0 card (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?family=Accessories&subCategory=Music); Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 or Windows XP Home or Professional Documentation and support Electronic documentation, getting started guide and one-year limited warranty

Technical Specifications

Capacity

4GB, 15GB, 20GB or 40GB hard disk drive(1)

Holds 1,000, 3,700, 5,000 or 10,000 songs in 128-Kbps AAC format(2)
Stores data via FireWire or USB 2.0(3) hard drive

Customizable settings

Customize main menu
Create On-The-Go playlists
Rate songs
Shuffle songs or albums
Repeat one or all
Sound Check on or off
20 Equalizer settings
Backlight timer
Display contrast
Alarms on, off or silent
Sleep timer
Date and time
Display time in menu bar
Contacts sort and display by first or last names
Clicker on or off
Languages: English, French, German, Japanese, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Danish, Norwegian, Finnish, Swedish, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese
Display (4GB model)

1.67 inch (diagonal) liquid crystal display with blue-white LED backlight
138-by-110-pixel resolution, 0.22-mm dot pitch
Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously
Display (15-, 20-, 40GB model)

2-inch (diagonal) liquid crystal display with blue-white LED backlight
160-by-128-pixel resolution, 0.24-mm dot pitch
Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously
http://a772.g.akamai.net/7/772/51/ef865529940b9e/www.apple.com/main/elements/spacer.gif Size and weight (4GB model)

Height: 3.6 in
Width: 2.0 in
Depth: 0.5 in
Weight: 3.6 oz (104 g)
Size and weight (15GB model)

Height: 4.1 in
Width: 2.4 in
Depth: 0.62 in
Weight: 5.6 oz (158 g)
Size and weight (20GB model)

Depth: 0.62 in
Weight: 5.6 oz (158 g)
Size and weight (40GB model)

Depth: 0.73 in
Weight: 6.2 oz (176 g)
Audio

Up to 25 minutes of skip protection
Frequency response: 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz
Audio formats supported: AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 (32 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible, AIFF (Mac only) and WAV
Upgradable firmware enables support for future audio formats
Headphones

Earbud-style headphones with 18-mm drivers using Neodymium transducer magnets
Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
Impedance: 32 ohms
http://a772.g.akamai.net/7/772/51/ef865529940b9e/www.apple.com/main/elements/spacer.gif Input and output

Dock connector
3.5-mm stereo headphone jack
Wired remote connector
Environmental requirements

Operating temperature: 32 to 95 F (0 to 35 C)
Non operating temperature: -4 to 113 F (-20 to 45 C)
Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)
Power and battery

Built-in rechargeable lithium ion battery
Playtime: 8 hours when fully charged
Standby time: 1 month when fully charged
Charging via FireWire to computer system or power adapter

Fast-charge time: 1 hour (charges up to 80% of battery capacity)
Full-charge time: 3 hours

Charging via USB 2.0 to computer system or power adapter (iPod mini only)

Fast-charge time: 1 hour (charges up to 80% of battery capacity)
Full-charge time: 3 hours

Power adapter

6-pin FireWire connector
AC input: 100V to 240V at 0.4 amp maximum
Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz
DC output: 12V at 1 amp maximum
(1) 1GB = 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less.
(2) Capacity based on 4 minutes per song and 128-Kbps AAC encoding.
(3) USB 2.0 connection is for Windows PCs only; USB 2.0 cable is included with iPod mini and sold separately for iPod.
(4) Battery life varies by use.
(5) iPod and iTunes are for legal or rightholder-authorized copying only. Dont steal music.