PDA

View Full Version : When did you start to like Pokemon?

Nuke
May 27th, 2006, 01:29 PM
I started liking Pokemon in Late 2000 I was 5.
At times I totally forgot about mostly when I was 8
But since I've been 10 I've liked pokemon more than Ever.

You?

C.Victoria
May 27th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Ever since the very beginning, back when every kid owned a set of Pokémon cards. A boy walked up to me at school one day and gave me three cards- one of Flareon, Kabutops and Eevee. They were the first Pokémon characters I ever saw, and it didn't take long for me to start collecting them myself and become absolutely hooked on it.

I've slowly lost interest as I've gotten older, though. I stopped watching the show and collecting the cards when I was 13, now I only play the Gameboy games.

[Technya]
May 27th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Since the very beginning!
I was at school, I believe I was with some friends and they were looking at this sticker book one of the girls had and I saw, I'll never forget this, a Raichu sticker and I asked what that was and from there and on I've been hooked.

Emma
May 27th, 2006, 02:16 PM
I started liking pokemon 3 years after it began, and I have never got bored of it XD I used to craze over the pokemon cards and games with my friends.

Barboach
May 27th, 2006, 02:16 PM
I got my first look at pokemon from cards. A mankey is the first pokemon i ever saw. From there on in i started to like pokemon gradually.

Jorah
May 27th, 2006, 02:17 PM
A few weeks after the craze started...hmm I can't remember. I remember watching Pokemon on SMTV: Live, and that hasn't been on for ages. I was in Year 4, so that would mean in...about 1998 I think. I first watched the programme, then got Red version. Then in about 2001 I lost interest, but about a month ago I got back into it again.

Drew
May 27th, 2006, 02:19 PM
uuum... 1998.
I remember the first Pokemon thing I ever saw... I was at my friend Yulie's house. Her family is Japanese, so they have alot of things from Japan. We were in her basement, and there was a stack of books near me. I asked if I could look at them, and she said yes.
So I was looking through the stack of books and I saw a Japanese Pokemon coloring book. It had Pikachu on the cover, with all the other 150 behind it... I looked through it, and became really interested in it after that.

...That was three days before Pokemon would air in the US.

Pretty awesome the way that it worked out, I'd say. I probably would've never known much about it if it hadn't been for that coloring book.

x3

EmeraldSky
May 27th, 2006, 02:30 PM
The time: Fall/Winter 98
The place: My house

I'd just gotten my latest Disney Adventures magazine in the mail. As I paged through the stories, comics, and features; one ad in the technology section caught my eye: a bunch of weird creatures about to be caught in a huge net. One of the creatures caught my interest: a tiny yellow mouse with a thunderbolt for a tail. I kept the little guy in mind as I put the now finished magazine on the bookshelf with all my other issues

The next day, at school, I was in art class doodling and talking with one of my best friends. Out of the blue, I asked my friend just WHAT was this "Pokemon" thing that was taking the school (a junior high/middle school, mind you) by storm. My friend calmly reached into his backpack and showed me a figurine of the mouse creature! He tells me its name is "Pikachu". We spent all of art class trying to draw "Pikachu" as he tried to explain about the show to me: "Pikachu" belonged to a boy named "Ash", who traveled with his friends "Misty" and "Brock" in hopes "Ash" would become a "Pokemon Master".

Later that day, I was watching TV and having a snack, and a commercial with "Pikachu" in it came on. That was the last straw--I got Blue the next day.

And the rest--is history!

Metaforte
May 27th, 2006, 02:51 PM
I guess when it came out in 2001. Nothing much else to say....

Persona
May 27th, 2006, 02:56 PM
When I was 7 years old. I liked everything about pokemon at that age. I was driving my parents nuts for all the movies, games, toys, cards, etc.

Right now, I feel sorry for them xD

Nashua
May 27th, 2006, 03:32 PM
I had started to like Pokemon back when I had gotten Red and Blue for Christmas back in 1999. The TV show had also proven to be a factor, as I was hooked on that as well. I even used to play the game when the show was playing.

Linoone
May 27th, 2006, 03:36 PM
I started liking it (and obviously still do)right when it started over here, with toys and games and the show*faints*

Drew
May 27th, 2006, 03:41 PM
I guess when it came out in 2001. Nothing much else to say....

Whoa, 2001? Where do you live?

It came out pretty much worldwide in 1998.... o__o

cody2cool
May 27th, 2006, 03:57 PM
well, on my 5th birthday my brother gave me an old gameboy (the oldest one you can get) and pokemon yellow and gold. ever since then ive been hooked!

Haunter Master
May 27th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Well, since it came out
and i still like all aspects of it

Red1530
May 27th, 2006, 05:07 PM
I think in between 1998 and 1999 (I can't remember exactly when).

Johto Boy
May 27th, 2006, 05:13 PM
I knew about Pokemon right when the show started in the US, but I wasn't very interested in it. However, some time later I played my friend's Pokemon Red and loved it. So I went to a store to buy a Pokemon game, and I bought Pokemon Silver. From then on, I loved Pokemon, mainly the games. I did start watching the show, but never liked it a whole lot. (I quit watching it after the Hoenn season started, it got worse then in my opinion) I've never collected the cards though. (I don't remember the exact date I started liking Pokemon, but I know it was soon after G/S came out in the US)

JX Valentine
May 27th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Sometime in 1998, I overheard a couple of boys in my class talking about a cartoon they watch at six in the morning. Already a fan of anime, I thought they were talking about another anime that was on at around the same time. I asked for a bit more information, and they told me to watch it at around 6:30.

The next morning, I woke up, crept into the living room, and turned on the TV to catch the tail end of "The Ghost of Maiden's Peak." Enthralled by the interesting storyline, the fascinating creatures called Gastly and Pikachu, and the cuteness of Ash Ketchum, I kept on watching and learning as much as I could about the show and the game it stemmed from.

Yoko-Chan
May 28th, 2006, 03:13 AM
loved it since the very beginning^^
ahh..the first years was magical 2 me =O

Demonta
May 28th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Since when I first known it and bought the pokemon crystal game =)

Sammi
May 28th, 2006, 03:32 AM
It was a long time ago... It started about 1998 or 1999, but it came in full about 2000, I think. I can't remember, it was that long ago. @_@

Anyway, my interest started with Christmas. My grandma bought my stepbrother Red and a thing for the SNES to play Game Boy games. I watched him play it, and I wanted to play it. I also saw my first Pokemon episode around this time... Holy Matrimony, I do believe it was. @@ It was all a blur to me~

However, I really didn't get hooked until my 11th birthday. That's when I bought my own Game Boy Color (it was yellow -- I watned a diffrent color, but that was all they had at the time), Yellow and Blue. I played Yellow, and I was hooked. @@

As for the anime, I don't know when I really started watching it. All I remember was I was in Japan at the time (Yes, I lived in Japan, but I didn't wach that many Japanese episodes. I lived on a US Air (force) Base, so they had English channels. That's how I watched Pokemon). Man, was I hooked then...

I lost interest in it once, acutally. I went back to the States on vacation, and when I came back, I just wasn't interested. However, I was soon hooked again. ;D My addiction has died down, yes, but I still like it. I think it's more of the "there's nothing to do!" kind of thing right now, since I've played all of the versions.

I can't wait for the new games to be released. I'm sure that'll get me hooked... again. XD;

Drifblim
May 28th, 2006, 04:18 AM
Late 1999. It started with the cards, strangely; I had gotten several packs for my eleventh birthday and I was hooked thereon. I no longer collect cards; I have just played the games these days.

Dawg 2005
May 28th, 2006, 04:44 AM
I started liking Pokemon a little before the craze.

I saw it on tv and was hooked, but not on the show. XD I saw Red and Blue and HAD to buy them. XD

Himawarii
May 28th, 2006, 06:54 AM
I started to like Pokemon back when it started <3
Than from 2001-2003 I sorta lost interest....
But in 2004 I got back into the games,cards,anime,etc,and I'm still loving it ^o^

Tinkleheimer
May 28th, 2006, 07:08 AM
In 3rd grade when the games first game out. Suddenly every kid at Scope (An After-School Daycare) had the game. I used to play the Final Fantasies on SNES so Pokemon kind of felt at home with me :D.

Rioku_Zanketa
May 28th, 2006, 07:09 AM
back in 1998...I like it because of the cards.....dude,I thught I was the best player in the world because I beat someone with the blastoise healing stragety and only my charizard.....and the girl who had it said that it was the best way to win ever,......but I won.....then the games came out!!!!I became the master at that!!!!me and my friends battled each other(before the rare candy trick...)I always won....then the show came out....I didn't like any but the first episode...it was to goody-goody,and not enough action.....but if all the other episodes were like we the first one I woulda liked it.....

Kalylia
May 28th, 2006, 07:22 AM
I was... I believe... a fifth grader... no... fourth. The year was 1998-1999 about. My sister brought home a couple of cards that a friend had given her. I had no idea what they were, but I fell in love with the cute, friendly faces.

Soon enough, I had a huge portfolio of cards and was showing off my Mew card to the other Pokemon nerds at recess.

HikozaruLover
May 28th, 2006, 08:16 AM
In 2000,I LOVED the Anime,that's how it all got started!

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
May 28th, 2006, 12:36 PM
I started liking Pokemon when it first aired in the United states.

:t092:~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~

The Fallen
May 28th, 2006, 03:37 PM
I remember seeing the episode where Charmander evolved into Charmeleon. After that my friends brought out the cards and that sealed the deal. I stopped liking pokemon about a year and a half ago though.

Ciervo Volante
May 28th, 2006, 04:13 PM
I remember it perfectly;
Sometime around summer 2000, I was watching tv in my parents room, I was looking for something good to watch, and pokemon caught my eye, and thats it, folks. XD

Chesters_love
May 29th, 2006, 11:22 AM
I started liking Pokemon in Late 2000 I was 5.
At times I totally forgot about mostly when I was 8
But since I've been 10 I've liked pokemon more than Ever.

You?
same with me,2000.i got my gameboy and crystal version and have a level 90
typhlosion.

hamir
May 29th, 2006, 12:00 PM
lets see wot got me started on pokemon. ah it was in 1998 i think when they stated showing pokemon on tv, first i wasn't interested, when all my friends started watching it at school so did i, i couldn't stop watching it, it was so good. Then there were the pokemon cards, i only collocted pokemon card for a few years then stop. The games, my cousin had pokemon red and blue , i can remember i wanted them too, so i brought myself a gameboy colour and brough pokemon yellow, i played it for years. after that i lost my interest in pokemon for 3-4 years. untill last year i started getting interested again and brought myself pokemon firered version, i have played 500 hours on my firered version because the game was so good. i don't like the pokemon tv shows no more but the games are the one which are making me stay into pokemon. i can't wait for pokemon diamond and pear version for the nds.

Rayquaaza
May 29th, 2006, 12:31 PM
I began creed at 7 years. Like all the children, I loved the Pokemon. I was collecting also the cards of the Pokemons! I knew everything: evolutions, strategies, names. When I arrived at 10 years, I do not know because, I lost every interest. Started doing new collectable cards, as Magic and soon the cards of the Pokemons finished in the rubbish and with them my interest of the Pokemons well. To be sincere, is all deserve of May if I like them again the Pokemon! Looking at my sister who was seeing the cartoon of the Pokemons, I saw May and fell in love with her. Slowly I looked again at the Pokemon and I was interested again to them. Even though between my the Pokemons both a thing friends from children.I still like them and have felt much raised looking at that in this forum you are very a lot of and all with my same age. I am slowly recovering my old knowledge, even if I have seen that I remind myself of everything of the Pokemons of the first edition. So attention, you are near a great Pokemons lecturer!!!!

Gentleman J
May 29th, 2006, 12:40 PM
I've always watched the show on tv when I was in middle school, around half a decade ago I think, but I didn't like it that much. I became interested in the game when I uh, accidentally downloaded Ruby and Sapphire.

Skitty101
May 29th, 2006, 06:43 PM
I don't really remember when I first started to like pokemon.
I think it was around 2000. :\

enyce
May 29th, 2006, 06:58 PM
I been with pokemon since the games were released. Ever since I got hooked. After G/S/C I lost intrest. But like November 2005 I started to pick it up again. I dont think im going to drop it anytime soon.

Sylphiel
May 29th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Sometime in 1998 is when it first started for me. I actually first become interested in the series sometime early that year, whenever I saw an article in Nintendo Power about the then-upcoming Pokemon games. I thought it looked rather interesting, as I've always had a liking for video game monsters, and this "Pokemon" was no exception; but since all that was known about it was the info given in that article, and the promise of it being released eventually, I didn't think too much more about it after some time.

However, September 1998 is when I really first got hooked; first with the anime (of course, as that was the first thing to come out), then with the games - I remember being so glad when I finally got my hands on a copy of the blue version - and then with some of the other things that eventually came out, such as the card game. My liking for the series has more or less died down by now, though I still find myself liking the actual pokemon themselves.

Houndour2004
May 30th, 2006, 03:10 AM
Back in 1999 where the Danish TV began to show the first episodes.

Neosplash
May 30th, 2006, 10:33 AM
I started liking it when everyone strated getting the games.
We would sit around and play pokemon on the gameboy with Link cables.
I would Alway get the bad deals. People would trade me my Started for a caterpie of somthing (They did it, because they knew I would not do anything).

enyce
May 30th, 2006, 10:55 AM
I started liking it when everyone strated getting the games.
We would sit around and play pokemon on the gameboy with Link cables.
I would Alway get the bad deals. People would trade me my Started for a caterpie of somthing (They did it, because they knew I would not do anything).

Thats getting punked big time

sdp
May 31st, 2006, 02:47 PM
first read about how it was a phenomenom in Japan, so as soon as the games were localized I bought it and fell in love with it, the rest like they say, is history.

Rai
May 31st, 2006, 02:49 PM
I started like Pokemon a million years ago...When I was in 1st grade! And now I am in 8th grade...So yeah...About 9 years ago O_O;

Netto-kun
May 31st, 2006, 03:14 PM
When I was at about 5, in 1998-1999-2000, when it was been broadcasted in Brazil. I was at my doctor in the Waiting Room and Pokémon was in TV, I liked and started been a big series' fan. Later in some monts, I earned a french Game Boy Color and a french Pokémon Yellow, and lated it was robbed, some time I lost interest, but I get back to Pokémon in 2002-2003-2004. Actually I got a Pokémon Ruby in Children's Day and before(some months) a Game Boy Advanced. Then in next Children's Day(2004) I got Pokémon Leaf Green and Sapphire and last christmas(2005) I got Pokémon Emerald.

Pokémaniac
June 2nd, 2006, 06:44 PM
Actually, I think it was the summer of 1998 when I got a video in the mail from Toys 'R Us with weird little creatures on the box. I thought the fat one looked really stupid when I looked at the video (Snorlax heh). It was a weird introductory tape to Pokemon, before it became a phenomenon in the U.S.. Some bad actors were explaining what Pokemon were, what things were coming out in the near future, and they even claimed to know Ash and Misty (really corny stuff :laugh:).

A few months later, my dad went out and bought Blue Version for me, and the rest is history.

miyo
June 19th, 2006, 12:54 AM
I fell in love with pokemon the moment I saw one episode of it on tv.. it was on the episode where Ash and co got into lavendar town and met the playful ghost pokemon.. ^^

I was only ten back then, so I've been chasing the show for about 6 years now :P

[Fear_Itself]
June 19th, 2006, 04:44 AM
I remember back in 1998, I used to be totally obsessed with the card game.
I watched the dub when it came out in the US, and followed that up until the Orange Islands.
Then, I made up my mind: "Ah, the heck with it. I'll just play the cards."
xDD
I still have all of 'em too, even the ones I got back in 1998.
That was.. Woah.. eight years ago. O.O
My dad bought me the Blue version, bought my brother the Red version, and bought my two little sisters the Yellow version.
After that, he bought me the Silver version and my brother the Gold version (We don't have Crystal.).
I bought myself the rest of the games up until getting Emerald.
-Waits for Diamond and Pearl-

x33

ArKiVe
June 19th, 2006, 05:24 AM
I think it was in 1997-1998 where I started to like it. One of my classmates introduced a book to everyone, no one had heard of Pokemon before that and he told us about it. About a week later, EVERYONE was into it and collected the cards and everything. I ended up getting a gameboy pocket along with blue version. I ended up spending tons of money and time into watching/collecting/playing Pokemon stuff. I've got most of the versions and I have pretty much conquered them. I've barely ever had any competition with pokemon battles. Like on my Saphire version I faced a lot of different people. 32 wins 4 losses. I've always liked pokemon, but from start of High School it's been on and off that I've been concerned with playing it.

Tapioca
June 19th, 2006, 06:11 AM
I think when I was 5 maybe...I dunno, I lost track years ago!

PikaRom
June 19th, 2006, 06:58 PM
I began to like it in grade 1, about '98, when the US craze was at it's beginning. I remember it's giant peak and now a teenager, I still love it! When I was visiting my great-grandma's house in Kentucky, The First Movie was showing in a theater nearby. I begged my dad to take me to see it, and so he did. It was great!

Black Ice
June 23rd, 2006, 05:54 PM
I started liking it in the summer of 2001, when I went on my first out-of-country vacation...

Aether
July 1st, 2006, 08:49 PM
You might not believe this but I actually saw the first english aired first episode of pokemon when everything began. I loved the show and watched it as often as possible. Then i got my first gameboy and first game. Three guesses what the game was. yup pokemon red. I've been absolutely hooked ever scince i got my first pokemon from prof. Oak. I liked the cards a little, but that interest did not last long at all. and here i am, still goin strong. I get a little bored from the games pereodically, but always come back, i have even been catching every single new episode to come out every week!^_^

Allstories
July 1st, 2006, 08:52 PM
I got a promotional video in the mail about Pokemon a few months before the show aired. It had a bunch of retarded live actors acting as Ash Ketchum's aunts and teachers talking about the games, the anime, the card game, and that pocket pikachu thing.

kitsune_boy389
July 2nd, 2006, 02:52 AM
I started in year 2. I think that was 1999 (i think) I'm now in year nine.

johnlai007
July 2nd, 2006, 04:14 AM
1998, when I was 5 or something. That's when it all began. I still like it no matter what anyone says.

Bomberman
July 2nd, 2006, 12:16 PM
i got blue when it first came out. right before it was huge :)