PDA

View Full Version : The Note of Youth

Ryoutarou
June 13th, 2006, 08:47 AM
So apparently there's this high-pitched note that only younger people can hear.

Click. (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13274669/?GT1=8211)

The sound. (http://download.npr.org/anon.npr-mp3/atc/atc_teenbuzz.mp3)

Now I'm waiting for someone to develop a teenager version of the dog whistle. That's a high pitched sound, for sure. I heard it though. Yay, I'm still young! But it really hurts the ears after a while.

Sylphiel
June 13th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Huh, so that's what it sounds like. I saw an article on that last night, and thought that the whole idea was rather neat; it's definitely an ingenious way of using such a sound, that's for sure.

Forget "after a while", though - my ears started hurting the moment I played it. Though I think a good deal of that can be attributed to me having my volume up a bit loud.

Sammi
June 13th, 2006, 10:46 AM
That's really interesting! I heard it, so I guess I'm normal. o_o;

That figures though, that all the teens are using it to use cell-phones in class. It's all about using cell phones with them instead of doing their schoolwork, isn't it? XD

That would drive me mad after awhile though. It did hurt. :x

Natsuki
June 13th, 2006, 10:57 AM
That sounds so weird, it's like the sound you hear when you have to go in for hearing tests at school. XD I find it interesting that adults can't hear that though, I think I'll have to test this out on my parents and see if they can hear it. XD

~Kelsey

Lily
June 13th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Interesting! The sound didn't inflict pain, much, but it definitely created a significant reaction. ^_^

A dog whistle for teenagers...=x!

Chiru
June 13th, 2006, 02:55 PM
I've heard of that before. I've heard some business owners who get tired of teenagers loitering around their shops put up little speaker things that make that noise to keep the teenagers away. I could hear it, so whee.

Kura
June 13th, 2006, 03:13 PM
X3 I'm glad I can hear it~ @@ I wouldn't want my hearing to be getting bad ~
X3 That's pretty cool, though~~

Randall Raichu
June 13th, 2006, 03:25 PM
I could hear it as well. I had my mom and dad walk over by me to see of they could hear it. just a test. My dad could hear it, but my mom couldn't. thats nuts!

Arcanine
June 13th, 2006, 03:39 PM
I can't hear it... oh wait the sound is all the way down. XD

I swear I hear that sound when there's a dead silence in the room (most of the time at night in the bed). It's not as loud as that clip up there but it bugs the living daylights out of me when I'm trying to sleep.

Randall Raichu
June 13th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Its wierd because I will be sitting there and start hearing this high pitched noise but no one around me can here it. Its really wierd.

oni flygon
June 13th, 2006, 03:52 PM
It'd be funny if they controlled us with that thing in the end...>>

Lily
June 13th, 2006, 03:53 PM
The high pitched noise one usually hears is Tinnitus. It can basically range from ringing, buzzing, roaring, clicking, humming, etc. Most common cause is nerve type hearing loss [auditory nerves damaged by loud noise exposure] or even certain medications. Sudden intervals regarding the pitch and its loudness might signal serious symptoms, as well. =x.

Dawg 2005
June 13th, 2006, 04:05 PM
I could hear it, hooray for the young! XD

My mom could hear it, but my dad won't come here. XD

Toothache
June 14th, 2006, 06:33 AM
I can hear it, just about. I do remember that the range of hearing goes down as you get older, so that does explain something of this.

Dawson
June 14th, 2006, 07:07 AM
I've heard of that before. I've heard some business owners who get tired of teenagers loitering around their shops put up little speaker things that make that noise to keep the teenagers away. I could hear it, so whee.
Yeah, they did that around the shopping centre where I used to live.

Stupid teenagers >.> If they don't want the teachers to hear when they have text messages why don't they just set their phones to "Silent/Vibrate"? >.>

DarkGreg
June 14th, 2006, 07:40 AM
I can hear it and my brothers can hear it and my mom can hear it

Zelos
June 14th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Wow, this is so cool! Me and my brother could hear it, but my mother couldn't. XD

Lord Mike
June 14th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Cool! That's going on my phone!

CipherDakim12
June 14th, 2006, 11:18 AM
That is so cool! I'm getting that tone on my RAZR!

Lord Mike
June 14th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Cipher's back! Yay! ^_^

We'll text each other during class with out being caught again, then again, when school starts again! ^_^

Kura
June 14th, 2006, 11:53 AM
I can't hear it... oh wait the sound is all the way down. XD

I swear I hear that sound when there's a dead silence in the room (most of the time at night in the bed). It's not as loud as that clip up there but it bugs the living daylights out of me when I'm trying to sleep.

._. Yeah~ Sometimes I hear that sound at random.. and sometimes it's so loud that it drowns everyone else's voices out ._.;; I know it's not a cellphone because I would be able to hear it ever since I was small ._.~

But yeah @@ It freaks me out, too~

Gary, the Magic Fairy
June 14th, 2006, 11:54 AM
That hurt my ears. Will I go deaf if I keep listening to it?

I can use that to get my sister to stay out of my room.

Lord Mike
June 14th, 2006, 02:41 PM
My mom heard it too! So much for "The Note of Youth". :\

Drifblim
June 14th, 2006, 06:27 PM
It was played on the radio this morning, actually. I didn't hear it at first, but when I clicked here and turned the volume up it sounded like a straight hiss. I guess I'm getting old, then.

Aegis
June 14th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Ow. I don't think thats a note of youth, just a electronic thingy-majig. My TV does the same (it drives me insane)

Ai
June 14th, 2006, 08:42 PM
I'M YOUNG! XDD i got to get my family up here. and -shivers- it is defeaning! but its very very very weird....you know when i was watching the video i didnt hear anything XD but when i clicked the suond link i heard it =D maybe im getting old... but im only 13 XD and copycat, my old tv does it too..

Chikara
June 15th, 2006, 11:51 AM
I can hear it! hooray! My mom didnt, so I guess it works..

Lord Mike
June 15th, 2006, 12:06 PM
My mom must still have some youth if she can hear it. :\

Red530
June 15th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Ouch, that hurts. But that's hilarious that they can use it as a ringtone. XD

Krafty Quill
June 17th, 2006, 05:00 PM
I can hear it too... >_>

Creepy.. O_o

But I've heard it plenty of times before so it isn't anything new to me. Funny thing is, I don't remember where I heard it. Could be a Television... :\ In any case, I'm going to save it and play it again a couple of years from now. It'll be interesting to see if it really is about age difference. Wonderful, now I don't have to wait for those grey hairs to start sprouting before I know I'm getting old. ^^'

Cherrim
June 17th, 2006, 06:36 PM
...sdlfjksfs

Gah. Jorfe. That's the THIRD time I've clicked that stupid link from you. It hurts my ears every time. XD;;

Anyway, just showed it to my parents and my dad heard it but my mom didn't. But I dunno if they just got it mixed up with the buzzing of my laptop since that's what my mom thought she was being shown at first. o_O;