PDA

View Full Version : Is being obese okay?

DragonTrainer
June 24th, 2006, 03:05 PM
I saw this at another site, and was curious about what PC thinks.

Discuss.

ArKiVe
June 24th, 2006, 03:24 PM
If you don't care, yeah I guess, but generally the population wants to be skinny for health's sake. No one wants to be a hippo.

Persona
June 24th, 2006, 05:16 PM
I wouldn't think so. You're life might be shortened if you were obese, and it's certainly unhealthy. It's so easy for people to get turn like this, when there's so many junk food. The worst is fast food and everybody knows that. Others who already know that they'll get obese if they eat high cholesterol, fat and greasy food, etc. Will still eat, because they're tempted and craving for it. But hey, you can always lose the weight easily, right? Wrong. Once you've turned obese, it's very difficult to lose weight. You have to be determined enough if you want to, but some people's problems is that they just give up later on. =/

So ... No, being obese is not okay.

oni flygon
June 24th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Obesity leads to many diseases and such like diabetes, heart diseases, increased blood pressure, etc. For me, it's not really okay and it really depends on the person because he or she may either try to shed weight or just consume more fatty foods. Either way, or just the ignorance on how to handle the issue. When I heard that my generation will be the first to have a declining life expectancy because of obesity, it scared me to exercise even more so that I can keep my weight in check.

So obesity isn't really okay because it just cuts your life expectancy and you might be getting diseases in the future because of it...

Kalylia
June 24th, 2006, 06:23 PM
I don't think obesity is okay. America has a terrible problem there. But I don't condone it. I mean, heck, one of my best friends is obese. It's not her fault, it's mostly genetic. Obese people are just fine. The disease itself needs to be worked on as a national problem.

DragonTrainer
June 24th, 2006, 08:16 PM
I don't think obesity is okay. America has a terrible problem there. But I don't condone it. I mean, heck, one of my best friends is obese. It's not her fault, it's mostly genetic. Obese people are just fine. The disease itself needs to be worked on as a national problem.
LOL, I hardly believe that it's genetic, most of the time it's not a diseases, it's disgusting slobs that can't quit stuffing themselves and go outside and get some exercise.

Persona
June 24th, 2006, 08:21 PM
LOL, I hardly believe that it's genetic, most of the time it's not a diseases, it's disgusting slobs that can't quit stuffing themselves and go outside and get some exercise.

Actually, being obese can involve of getting it from the members of your family. That's why sometimes you see a parent and their kid crossing down the street, either obese or thin. Although, of course it's not always involved with a genetic cause.

Chuchino
June 24th, 2006, 08:22 PM
I agree with what the rest of you've said. ^^

If someone's obese, they should try and correct it, since it's dreadful for your health in all sorts of ways. But if someone wants to be obese (and I don't know who'd want to be, really), then.. it's their choice, I guess.

And that's all I can think of to say ^^

DragonTrainer
June 24th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Notice how I said most of the time it's not genetic =/

oni flygon
June 24th, 2006, 08:30 PM
As far as genetics go, it's more on metabolism. And mind you that your metabolism is at its peak at around your teenage years to your twenties. And metabolism is like a fire... if you throw a bunch of wood at it (fatty foods and such in this case) before it can burn at its peak, it'll get smothered. And you get the idea...

Muse
June 24th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Just whatever you want. Eat well, stay in shape, die anyway! Okay, that might've been a little...blunt...

Obesity versus thin versus just right is like...a sword! You've got two really pointy sides and one blunt side in between. Get hit by the former and...well...yeah...Get hit by the latter and you might get a headache, but you'll be fine and dandy in the end.

So, obesity ain't that great. It's okay, sure, but it sure is nice hanging out and playing some sports every once in a while. On the other hand, you can't work too hard at being skinny or else you get all these crazed health problems. Everyone just has to find that happy medium. Not overly fit, but not horribly unfit...I guess...

Anything goes! ^^'

Chase Leader
June 24th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Is being obese okay?...interesting question...hmmm I'm not shallow I don't think less of anyone who is. I think its very un-healthy...and the sooner you realize that you are the better. Dakota is a prime example of a sucess story...thanks to DDR, wresteling, and soccer...aerobics and anything active is what I suggest to anyone who is obese.

Orange_Flaaffy
June 24th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I think there are levels of it. I don't see being what the norm thinks of as overweight as a bad thing. In most cases what most people see as 'normal' or 'pretty' is actually underweight alot of the time, which can end in just as many troubles as being overweight.

On the other hand I think being overweight to the point of not being able to get out of bed is a fate worst than death and not okay.

Slash258
June 25th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Live fast, die young and leave a good looking corpse, mofos!

marshmello
June 25th, 2006, 09:40 AM
no, i dont think so, if you wanna die young then carry on being obese otherwise you would have to tell yourself to lose some weight, once you're not obese ( not anorexic or neciserily thin) you can calm yourself down. No need to panic if your obese though, but those who are please think about it, dont live ashort life.

Suki
June 25th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Obese is BAD! It gives you high blood pressure if you have too much sugars and you start to lack exercise. The more fatter you get, the more harder it is to slim down. Obesity can give you many problems. Luckily I'm not obese.

Rioku_Zanketa
June 25th, 2006, 11:20 AM
it's whatever you think is ok for yourself...what you think is ok for yourself is not a fact,an it's not either for other people...although what is safe,period might be a statement...alot of obese people know they are like that,and continue on with their lives.they just like food just as much as people here love poke'mon....so asking that is no diffrent than asking:"is it ok to stay up all night playing poke'mon emerald?"

I feel like I left something out....do you guys get what I'm saying?....

Chikara
June 25th, 2006, 01:14 PM
I guess it would be ok if you would enjoy the feeling of resembling a whale...

*ahem* I dont exactly think that being obese is nesessarily a GREAT thing. But you have to know that if you got it from genetics, that someone did that to you, and its not your fault. BUT sometimes a quick trip to the Mcdonalds down the road isnt a good idea either.

Bomberman
June 25th, 2006, 01:46 PM
In a vain society where being thin & attractive is one of our main priorities, the fact that obesity is such a big problem shows our laziness. Fast food & television are not a good mix - but those are two of the biggest industries in the US.

Soul Eater
June 25th, 2006, 02:03 PM
I think moreless depends on your wieght...I did thing at school and turns out I'm Obsese but if you look at me you would think I'm not, so it depends on whether you feel like you are or not and it depends on your wieght and body mass.

Haruka
June 25th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Like Omigosh, being obese isn't healthy for you. Eating too much fastfood like McDonalds isn't good for you either (evidence, watch Supersize Me!). Obesity like totally cause alot of problems like having excess fat on your body (obviously), higher risk of getting a heart attack, totally high risk of diabetes, and etc.

It's totally important to excersize to burn calories and have a balenced diet. http://www.mypyramid.gov/ is totally useful site to find how much servings of what you should totally eat..

Ryoutarou
June 25th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Of course it's not okay, but what counts as obese these days can be a lot of things really. If I recall correctly, someone can be obese and not look over weight now. There are a lot of medical definitions for them and now it's somehow classified as a disability, so for some, they do it for money. Others don't have any real control over it.

Obesity like totally cause alot of problems like having excess fat on your body (obviously), higher risk of getting a heart attack, totally high risk of diabetes, and etc.A person can be fat and technically still be healthy, depending on what they eat. As long as it's heart healthy, then technically they're in no danger. Also, diabetes can hit anyone, obesity levels, oddly enough, don't increase your chances of diabetes unless it runs in your family.

(evidence, watch Supersize Me!).
People actually believe that trash? O_o

Haruka
June 25th, 2006, 07:19 PM
People actually believe that trash? O_o

It's obvious. If you don't excersize and eat junk food, you totally become fat and obese in matter of months or years. Of course, I heard that people lost weight on a fast food diet with excersize. Fast food isn't the problem, it's the lack of excersize and overeating. It can totally be caused by excessive playing of video games or watching tv while snacking alot.

emerald fan
June 25th, 2006, 07:35 PM
omfg no! being fat is not ok!!!! its freaking ugly!! being fat IS wrong people need to start working out and get some mustle. and not siting in front of the t.v eating mcdonalds!!!

there is a guy who failed a grade 3 times and he is like 400 l.b. every 1 pokes him and calls him "100% obese"! and i dont mean to be mean or anything but fat people disguste me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please if you are obese GO ON A DIET!

Lucy Lu
June 25th, 2006, 07:48 PM
It isn't okay to be obese because when you get older, you can get high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, and others. And you won't feel good or look good. I should know because I been watching this show called "Honey We Are Killing The Kids" on TLC. Like they show kids who don't exercise and just snack all the time. They show like a shock tacit telling parents when they turn 40, that is what they going to be. They use the latest techogloy. I am not kidding. And that blew me away. I am 25 and I am overweight. I don't want to be all fat and have those diseases when I am 40. So I am doing something about it, exercise and eating less. And eating healthy. Because I tend to overeat and on the wrong foods. Every kid need to eat healthy once in their lives. You can eat junk, but it got to be in moderation. And need to exercise.

And that is what I think about that. In the US, there is a major weight problem. But some of it can't be helped because of genetics. And I understand that.

Gary, the Magic Fairy
June 25th, 2006, 10:15 PM
omfg no! being fat is not ok!!!! its freaking ugly!! being fat IS wrong people need to start working out and get some mustle. and not siting in front of the t.v eating mcdonalds!!!

there is a guy who failed a grade 3 times and he is like 400 l.b. every 1 pokes him and calls him "100% obese"! and i dont mean to be mean or anything but fat people disguste me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please if you are obese GO ON A DIET!
Ok, that was just wrong. You are being mean, even if it was unintentional. Maybe he's obese because of people like you, who don't care that he has a problem, and just say he's disgusting, and don't want do anying to help him.

I think that people should try to stop obesity, for health reasons. Its not good for your health to be obese.

Chizzy
June 25th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Fat people should be sho...shoes. Thats it. Shoes. There is no hiding!!!

Ryoutarou
June 25th, 2006, 10:35 PM
It's obvious. If you don't excersize and eat junk food, you totally become fat and obese in matter of months or years. Of course, I heard that people lost weight on a fast food diet with excersize. Fast food isn't the problem, it's the lack of excersize and overeating. It can totally be caused by excessive playing of video games or watching tv while snacking alot. ...and people need a movie to tell them this? Food's never been the problem, it's the lack of exersize that hurts people. As long as someone doesn't go overboard on the junky stuff and eat good food every now and again, they'd be fine if they exersized everyday.

enyce
June 25th, 2006, 10:50 PM

LMAO!!!!!!!! Hilarious. After all the goody goody people on this forum. This is the best post I have ever seen.

Anyway I dont think its okay. I mean you're destorying yourself physicaly and emotionally. Physically you're destorying yourself. Becuase it causes problems to the body. Heart and other internal organs are in danger because of fat.

But what really gets on my nerves is. When obese people complain about being fat. But do nothing about it and make the situation worse and stack calories on themselves. I used to work in a fast food resturant. About 7/10 customers. Would complain about their weight. Then order 25 dollars worth of fat. People like them should really just end their lives already. Because if they dont. The heart attack will.

A fat person complaing. Is like goths who dont slit their wrists. Just complaining about things. Then do nothing to make it better. While they eat their way to a grave. That truly disgusts me. So if you're not going to do anything about your fat. Other than whine about it. Please STFU or go commit suicide. Maybe both. Im not syaing fat people should kill themselves. Especially ones who are trying to do something about it. But really, no one gives a flying fudge you hate yourself because you're fat. You brought it on yourself.

Just my 0.02

Chikara
June 26th, 2006, 06:42 AM
Fat people should be sho...shoes. Thats it. Shoes. There is no hiding!!!

And the stupid people that say obise people should get shot, or the poeple who try to cover it up should be shot as well. Dont say things like that cause there are people on PC that are obise. I wouldnt be surprised if you hurt soneones felings by saying that.

Natsuki
June 26th, 2006, 11:02 AM
I really don't think being obese is a good thing healthwise. But if the question implied to this thread is whether or not being obese is okay in society, well that's a different story.

In America, our society is messed up. We have the media pouring all these ideas into people's heads that you have to look like Tyra Banks in order to be considered perfectly fit and healthy. You won't believe the things I've read in magazines or seen on TV that show people losing up to half their body weight on some crazed diet and I think to myself "Uhh...they looked fine before they started the diet anyway. o_O"

That could very well just be me, but what I'm saying is because of the vast influencial power media has over our society, people's views on what is considered "fit and healthy" varies as much as from person to person. Someone who I think is fit could seem a little chubby to someone else. IMO, as long as you yourself feel good about your body composition, then who cares what anyone else thinks of you? Just feel good and be happy with the body you've got, you only live once..

Now in terms of health, if someone is dangerously overweight, then I would like to caution them to try and exercise and eat more healthy foods that your body needs. One problem with this, however, is a lot of supposedly healthy foods are packed with preservatives and crap that our bodies can't digest and don't know what to do with. By eating real foods with real nutrients and real ingredients in them, your body just naturally knows what to do with them and can digest them properly, causing your body to work better (and as it's supposed to) in the end.

So to end my post, I think that looking obese and whatever should be acceptable in society, though healthwise you may want to look more deeply into it - it could be the difference between you living a longer and ultimately healthier life.

~Kelsey

Chizzy
June 26th, 2006, 11:08 AM
and Emeralds Post was perfectly reasonable? OK... I was harsh, but obesity is a large problem due to the availability of Fatty, 'Killer' Foods. They are cheap on on the road side and easy to get.

Im sorry for my comment. It was meant to be a light Hearted Joke that went the wrong way...

emerald fan
June 26th, 2006, 11:55 AM
.... i was not trying to be mean but just saying what i think about it =\. the only reason i hate that kid is that he wears a shirt saying "no fat chicks". i mean come on if u are 400 l.b it is not ok to wear a shirt saying "no fat chicks".

Chizzy
June 26th, 2006, 12:03 PM
lol True. Sorry Guys, I have just got very strong opinions on obesity...

emerald fan
June 26th, 2006, 12:08 PM
lol True. Sorry Guys, I have just got very strong opinions on obesity...

same here maneachicken. =\

Allstories
June 26th, 2006, 12:55 PM
.... i was not trying to be mean but just saying what i think about it =\. the only reason i hate that kid is that he wears a shirt saying "no fat chicks". i mean come on if u are 400 l.b it is not ok to wear a shirt saying "no fat chicks".

Stop watching Comedy Central.

^^NICK^^ v.3.0
June 26th, 2006, 04:37 PM
I don't think it's about being skinny or fat, because that all depends on how comfortable you are with how you look, self-esteem, all that good stuff. But it's not only about how you feel about yourself, you also have to take health into consideration, because obesity can cause many diseases and health disorders.

Like on that show Celebrity Fit Club. A lot of the overweight celebs had no problems with being heavy, because they had high self-esteem, and still felt atractive, and some were. But then, they considered the health aspects, like diabetes and hear disease, and that was their motivation to lose weight.

Who are we to judge what's okay? All I can say is whatever you do, be healthy.

Thomas
June 26th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Obese? No, but just a small bit overweight, that is fine. I am overweight, but nowhere near being obese. Once you cross the line into obese your chances for high health risks increase tremendously.

Bomberman
June 26th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Stop watching Comedy Central.

smartest thing i've heard in a long time. if you add "and mtv" to that sentence, it would be perfect.

*~Ashley~*
June 26th, 2006, 07:04 PM
same here maneachicken. =\
Okay first, remember that we do have a four word per post rule. Smilies don't count as words either; neither do quotes. And second, you guys should never, EVER, say anyone deserves to be shot or needs to commit suicide. That's way out of line and highly disrespectful. It could cause a flame war, or worse yet, seriously hurt someone's feelings, so cut it out.

Anyway, being obese isn't okay. But I won't condemn anyone for being obese, especially if it isn't their fault. Everyone's metabolism is different, and because of that people have different body types. Each person needs to figure out for themselves how their metabolism works, and from there find a diet that's right for them.

The amount of easily accessed fast and junk food is not to blame. It's the people that eat it. If you know you have a slow metabolism, you should know better than to indulge on fatty and unhealthy foods. For most people, eating fast foods is not going to kill you. I've never seen Supersize Me, and don't plan on it either. After people saw it they all decided that fast food is disgusting and whatnot. I, personally, eat fast food at least once a week. But I also dance and get exercise on a fairly regular basis. At this point in my life, I know I have a fast metabolism and eating junk won't cause me to gain weight quickly. But I also realize that metabolisms change and that at some point, these foods won't be the best for me unless I get enough exercise to burn it off. Meh, this post all made sense in my head... <<;

In short, everyone's body is different and each person needs to decide for themself how to keep themselves healthy. It's not right for someone else to judge anyone else based on how they look.

Drifblim
June 26th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I hardly think obesity is any okay. I know that there is a psychological boon to not having a food restriction sometimes, as I've met people that have been moody and depressed because of a diet, but the disadvantages of being overweight are far more than any advantages. For one thing, cancer treatment is harder and cardiac arrest chances are far higher. For another, CPR is more difficult.

Personally, I believe that the media, irrespective of the discretion of the individual, is not the only one to blame here. Yes, Kelsey, our society is screwed up. Whilst we have the media emphasising the aesthetic importance of a slim body (well, except Nicole Richie), however, we have business. It basically began in the 1950s, when the Interstate system was begun. Around that time Ray Kroc bought a fast food stop in San Bernardino, California, run by Samuel and Macmillan MacDonald. When Massachusetts Highway 128 was built, McDonald's, Howard Johnson, and other businesses jumped at the sight of it, immediately making contracts with land developers and the highways agency to erect restaurants by interchanges so that drivers would be lured by going in, getting food, and going out. It worked.

DragonTrainer
June 26th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Maybe he's obese because of people like you, who don't care that he has a problem, and just say he's disgusting, and don't want do anying to help him.
So how do I help him out? Tell him it's okay? It isn't. Tell him I'll work out with him? I won't. Tell him people will eventually think it's okay? They won't. Poke him with a stick while he runs? Maybe.

Yay successful threads d^_^b

Chikara
June 27th, 2006, 04:41 AM
and Emeralds Post was perfectly reasonable? OK... I was harsh, but obesity is a large problem due to the availability of Fatty, 'Killer' Foods. They are cheap on on the road side and easy to get.

Im sorry for my comment. It was meant to be a light Hearted Joke that went the wrong way...

Saying that obise people should get shot is NOT a lighthearted joke. Thats a straight up offence. And just to let you know? It isnt the price of fatty foods, its the obise people who decide that they want to BUY the fatty foods. Dont blame the god dang food.

Kalylia
June 27th, 2006, 11:27 AM
LMAO!!!!!!!! Hilarious. After all the goody goody people on this forum. This is the best post I have ever seen.

Anyway I dont think its okay. I mean you're destorying yourself physicaly and emotionally. Physically you're destorying yourself. Becuase it causes problems to the body. Heart and other internal organs are in danger because of fat.

But what really gets on my nerves is. When obese people complain about being fat. But do nothing about it and make the situation worse and stack calories on themselves. I used to work in a fast food resturant. About 7/10 customers. Would complain about their weight. Then order 25 dollars worth of fat. People like them should really just end their lives already. Because if they dont. The heart attack will.

A fat person complaing. Is like goths who dont slit their wrists. Just complaining about things. Then do nothing to make it better. While they eat their way to a grave. That truly disgusts me. So if you're not going to do anything about your fat. Other than whine about it. Please STFU or go commit suicide. Maybe both. Im not syaing fat people should kill themselves. Especially ones who are trying to do something about it. But really, no one gives a flying fudge you hate yourself because you're fat. You brought it on yourself.

Just my 0.02

I think this post needs to be adressed. Yes, I realize that I'm probably a little late, but I haven't been on in quite awhile, and I just came across this. And, having two friends who are obese, a mother and father who are overweight, a cousin who is borderline obsese, and a few classmates that I am not close to who push the barrier as well, I feel compelled to make the other side of this story known.

Not everyone has an option in the matter. Again, as I stated earlier, with my best friend, it's hereditary. Her mother is obese as well. With my other friend, she gets it from her father. Niether one of these girls eats terribly unhealthy and both aviod fast food chains as much as possible, but they do complain some. And they have a right to. Diets and Exercise are not giving them the results they crave.

And personally, I think they are the best people in the world. They are comfortable in their own skin. I'm a little underweight for my age and body type, but am I comfortable in MY skin?

Heck no.

And neither are a lot of teenage girls these days.

And saying that ANYONE needs to kill themselves it heartless, cold, cruel, and goes WAY beyond anything a joke possibly could. It hurts the feelings of people that ARE obese and people that have actually BEEN suicidle.

Plus, killing yourself is ALSO destroying yourself physically. Those feelings of NEEDING to also destroy you emotionally. Trust me here.

The last point I feel inclined to make is the bit about goths. That really bugged me. Goths don't all slit their wrists, and not everyone who cuts is a goth. Stereotyping people is harsh, horrible, and wrong.

Just my $.02...

Red530
June 28th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Of course being obese is bad. It's not healthy.

Many people die of obesity...especially Americans. America is the fattest country...Sad.

Forever
June 30th, 2006, 09:18 PM
*·-:¦:-·:*'''''*:·-:¦*·-:¦:-·:*'''''*:·-: ¦
I think it sux, my school had a program where they got up every morning to change there lives and excersize..it was called the treat yourself decently program. It even was on tv and they got to train with the people from the biggest loser.. So the ones at my school think it's not good and they are trying to save their lives with support from their peers!
hh simpsonqueen

mewthree w/armor
July 1st, 2006, 05:39 AM
I have the overweight factor in the family, and folks, it isn’t no picnic. I personally am laughing at most of your comments, and I love the people who say just go out and exercise. Right now, in my immediate family, there’s one person who has the time to exercise, and that’s my brother becuase he has nothing better to do. I think the American working environment has allot to do with the overweight issue, I work by choice, both my parents work, and by the end of the day I’m tired, but I like having money. No money vs. exercising…

Miyu-chan
July 1st, 2006, 06:45 PM
There are alot of things that are not okay.

Such as drinking, smoking, and doing drugs. Obesity isn't 'okay' either.

From my personal viewpoint, obesity isn't something good... it shortens your life span, puts you at risk of many, many diseases.

But I believe that people should have the right to be obese. After all, who's to stop them? For some, it's their own choice. For others, it may be inherited.

Exercising is not easy. It's easy to talk the walk, but once you start walking - you trip.

jasonresno
July 3rd, 2006, 03:17 PM
No. Obesity is not ok. In fact: I lose respect for people who allow themselves to get obese to begin with.

Ichiro Miyamoto
July 4th, 2006, 06:38 PM
It's not okay, but there always is a solution.

Gunn
July 5th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Being obsese is okay only if it hits a certain point in your life. Obesity has more of a major impact when you become more older. It leads to many forms of cancer thats for one and it also causes stress and possibly depression.

What really pisses me off about obesity is parents and their children. How the hell can you not realize that your kid is a fat slob that would rather watch TV eating all the time? Even if it is genetic, it can still be helped just by taking extra care of your body. Just exercise and focus on a good diet. Sleeping is good too, because during this phase, the muscle tissue repairs itself. Not eating will only have your body hold that fat.

The Songbird
July 5th, 2006, 11:29 PM
I believe that obese people should be accepted more socially. But my main concern is the health issues.

For all of you who are flaming others because of their weight (or any bit of their appearance, for that matter), what help are you giving them? If you have something to say about the situation, at least try to be helpful in doing so. And I do NOT mean helpful by amusing others with your crude remarks. How would you like it if someone did the same to you?

I don't judge people by what they look like, especially when it comes to weight. I might tell someone he's handsome, or something like that, but that wouldn't make anyone a better or worse person. I have known many people that are extremely attractive, and they had horrible personalities. I've also known many people that are considered "less attractive," and many of them are among the kindest people I've ever met.

I personally don't control my weight so that I'm thin; I do so to keep myself as healthy and energetic as I am.

Raichu_tamer
July 6th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Ooo this should be fun to post to. Why? Because I used to be overweight.

At the age of 13, I was 232 lbs... Yeah, horrible. I finally talked to my family doctor, and he hooked me up with a dietitian. My mom's side of the family has a history of obesity and diabetes, my dad's side of the family has a history of high cholesterol. My mom is diabetic. My dad is borderline diabetic. I DEFINATELY needed help. I had no confidence, I was horrible unhealthy.

Last January, I was 219 lbs. As-of last week, I'm now 5'11", and 177 lbs. I'm going to weigh myself tomorrow, actually. I weigh myself every week now. I watch what I eat. I play sports. Back-in-the-day, I HATED sports. Now every sport is like a dream. I'm too impatient to wait for the bus now, and I jog instead of walk to get me to places faster. I lift weights regularely, and cycle for an hour a day, at least 6 days a week. And please don't tell me I don't have a life, exercising takes up maybe takes up 1.5 hours out of the 24 hours a day you're alive. I'm part of the student-government at my school, part of the IB program, and have a very healthy social life, a great relationship with my family (immediate, and distant), and I still manage to balance health and religion, as well.

So what caused the problem? I could blame it on genetics... My mom is obese. But weight is one of those things where there are OTHER factors, not like the shape of your nose. It may be harder for some families to stay an average weight, but don't ever say someone's overweight because of their genetics, it's discouraging.

Being overweight isn't even necassarily unhealthy. It's the obesity problem that's unhealthy. Having a bit of extra padding is fine, and that's what I'd expect from a family with bad genes but is living a healthy lifestyle. When you start to pack on the pounds is when you start to put your health at risk.

Is it Okay? Like another person has said, everyone has the right to their own choices. I know people that smoke, I know people that drink. Does this make them bad people? No. I respect them for who they are, not what they do. Some people don't take advantage of the education the world offers them. It irritates me. But those people aren't necassarily horrible people. It's their own decision. Just like it's our own decision to choose whether or not we're religious, or which religion we choose to follow.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-6/1033887/1.jpg

That was... Bleh. I wasn't very happy with myself.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-6/1033887/before1.jpg

Sort of in-between...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-6/1033887/between.jpg

Somewhat recent...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-6/1033887/now4.jpg

And nowww the good stuff!

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-6/1033887/now1copy.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-6/1033887/now2.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-6/1033887/now3.jpg

Sooo... what was the CAUSE for me? Honestly, I'd have to say it was the way I grew up. My family in general isn't very healthy, so I grew up eating the same way. Can I blame my family? Nope. After a certain age, I could have easily made choices to change but I decided not to. I always thought that would be the way I was meant to be, forever.

What made me change? I knew it was bad for my health. I did it for no one else except for me. I have three cousins that were also obese. Now, you wouldn't even be able to tell. They look like they've been skinny all their lives! They're pretty good-looking now, if I do say so myself... Haha

Just because I made a change does NOT mean I expect others to do so, too. It's not healthy, but that doesn't deny that these people are probably great people. If they're having issues with losing the weight but they want to, then support them, don't put them down. If they're happy with themselves, and they don't want to change, then I'd say they're pretty lucky. Being overweight and not having a confidence issue? I've seen it happen, and I think it's great that they're not going to let something like that get in the way of their happiness. I don't know where I'd be without my friends. The hardest part is getting started... The rest is easy. :)

Happy Dude
July 8th, 2006, 03:04 AM
Yes being obese is fine.

I see nothing wrong with it

Krafty Quill
July 9th, 2006, 04:10 AM
Well, I always thought that there was a difference between being obese and being fat. Obesity is a disease that the sufferer has little to no control over while being fat is a reflection of a person's lifestyle and eating habits. So, to my eyes, being obese is just like being ill and that wouldn't be okay. Being fat on the other hand can be helped to some extent and if these people are not confortable with their bodies then they should do something about it.

DragonTrainer
July 9th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Yes being obese is fine.

I see nothing wrong with it
Except of course the heart problems and inabilities to do athletic things, like, walking.

Demon_Slayer
July 9th, 2006, 11:58 PM
I wouldn't know...I'm not to fat, but some teenagers my age are fat...but I eat healthy...I don't eat chocolate or any type of candy, and I stay away from fast food joints, if I must eat from a fast food place, I get a salad... I'm not one for Nugget or anything that is on A mcdonald's menu other than a grilled chicken salad (the breaded, skin type is fattening) and I try to get the low fat dressing whenever they haave it...so if you are obese, I suggest eating healthy and doing at least 15 min of excersizes a day until you can get to 30 min a day. I sometimes do 50 crunches a day.

Flame Demon
July 10th, 2006, 06:29 AM
You can't forget about the chance of diabetes.

Shining Arcanine
July 15th, 2006, 08:09 PM
All of the adipose tissue that people have when their bodies are larger, requires oxygen, reducing the oxygen supply to the rest of the body and the weight of the adipose tissue requires more energy to move. This results in a lower power to weight ratio in a person and reduces the amount of energy that can be oxidized, which works against their ability to perform physical activity such as self defense or military service. On top of this, one's own existance brings a risk of cancer, and when more of one exists, the risk increases, as there is more of one that could randomly contract it. There is also the fact that one's heart stays the same size, while the amount of one that blood must be pumped through increases, which increases pressure on the heart and increases the risk of heart failure.

*~Ashley~*
July 24th, 2006, 08:51 PM
XD XD XD XD XD

I agree.
That post was pretty much just spam... keep in mind we do have a four word and 25 character limit... XD's don't count as words either.

And if you aren't going to contribute anything at all to the topic, don't post at all.

*deletes post*

SilkyEspeon
July 25th, 2006, 12:46 AM
I, personally, don't think being obese is okay. I'm not saying the person isn't nice, just it is a bad health risk. No offence to anyone who is obese.

Charon
July 26th, 2006, 04:47 AM
Raichu_Tamer, you look good in a suit!

Um... Well, two of my closest friends are 'obese', so I don't have a problem with it paticularily. I mean, I feel very guilty, because one time we were breaking into a house (lol, a friend's house, not to steal anything, just to surprise him) and my other friends and I managed to wriggle through a hole in the fence, but they couldn't get through, and I felt awfull. But, I mean, it's their choice. If they wanted to do something about it they could diet or excercise. I'm not saying it's easy to loose weight, but with a effort you can do it.

However, if I became obese, I would have a huge issue with it. I've been slim my entire life, and even now, at 15, I weigh 113 lbs. Just the thought of me being any bigger than I am now makes me shudder.