PDA

View Full Version : Did You Know...?

Shaydeh
August 1st, 2006, 11:29 PM
Did you know that tap water is actually recycled toilet water???

Being the cruelly informative piece of ham that I am, I felt a thread where members could share some of their bizarre facts and findings would be beneficial. So, if anybody got any facts or heard anything they thought was strange or plain scary they can post it here!

With regard to my question, I am not in the least bit remorseful in your distaste for water after reading this, but it is true. The water that gets flushed down the toilet is filtered and cleansed and piped back into our water system. And in the case of dysfunctional filters, water will still appear clean as it pours down our kitchen sinks due to the masking that has been performed on it. You would freak if you knew what the water that comes out of your tap really looks like and where it originated from.

What goes around comes around, and so the prophecy is fulfilled. The human body consists of a large portion of water, which would mean when my friend told me I was full of it, he was speaking literally.

Shorty
August 2nd, 2006, 09:27 PM
Are you serious?

If it is true then I'd be disgusted and probably never drink tap water again! =O

Arcanine
August 2nd, 2006, 09:35 PM
If I remember right they take the water (after it's cleaned) and pump it back into the ground. But since I'm not on city/county water it doesn't effect me. That's right people, no nasty toilet water for me, because I'm on a well.

Ryoutarou
August 2nd, 2006, 09:55 PM
And in the case of dysfunctional filters, water will still appear clean as it pours down our kitchen sinks due to the masking that has been performed on it.Only very rarely does this ever happen. When it does, it's usually taken care of fast enough.

I felt a thread where members could share some of their bizarre facts and findings would be beneficial. So, if anybody got any facts or heard anything they thought was strange or plain scary they can post it here!Hurrah for useless information! I made a post on this at another place so time to copy and paste.

Mr. T made a motivational video.

Linkin Park was originally a Willie Nelson tribute band.

The United States has the oldest current government in the world. (Yes, even though there are countries much older, such as the U.K. and China, their current governments are not as old as the current U.S. government is; for example, Great Britain merged with Ireland to become the U.K. in 1801, and China's current Communist government has been in power since 1949. The current U.S. government has been running since 1789.)

Many scientists, historians, and anthropologists believe that our current technology could have been 300 years ahead of where it is now if the Library of Alexandria in Egypt hadn't burned to the ground in ancient times, or if the Dark Ages had never occured in Europe. As a result, many concepts already known to ancient peoples had to be "rediscovered" during the Renaissance and Enlightenment.

All US Presidents have worn glasses. Some just didn't like being seen wearing them in public.

Walt Disney was afraid of mice.

"One thousand" contains the letter A, but none of the words from one to nine hundred ninety-nine has an A.

Hydrogen Peroxide burns like hell.

Silver Nitrate can heal a canker sore instantly by cauterizing it.

10 percent of all human beings ever born are alive at this very moment.

Applying tobacco to a bee sting will greatly reduce the pain because the stings are highly acidic and tobacco is a strong base.

8235a874f924e907234y7t9st is considered the be the world's hardest word and number problem, yet it is also the most commonly solved one.

And my favorite...

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- is the fear of long words

Barboach
August 2nd, 2006, 10:02 PM
Well, not stating that I'm a couch potato and I watch the televison twenty-four seven, I saw this commercial similar to the thread starters statement. It says that tap water comes from the same source as toilet water does.

This may or may not be true as most commercials are trying to get you to buy there worthless junk.

Kylie-chan
August 2nd, 2006, 10:11 PM
I knew about the tap water AND the phobia :3 -- we have a filter, but if it was dysfunctional I wouldn't care too much; I'm not going to stop drinking water to avoid contamination~ ^-^

&& panda-chan [>D even though that's not correct, as you're older and male...~]: those were really interesting ^^ Especially the one about one thousand and the letter a! *impressed*

Whispering Winds
August 3rd, 2006, 04:28 PM
I knew about that already, but it's really not such a big deal. They can clean all of those nasty things out, and I have one of those tap water purifiers in my house anyway.

may torchic
August 3rd, 2006, 04:33 PM
ewww that nasty and gross

Gunn
August 3rd, 2006, 08:35 PM
Toilet water? Tch. That'll never stop me from drinking tap water. =)

Here are some facts that I came across by word of mouth and on the web:

The Bible is the most shoplifted book in the world.

The Mayan calender, the most accurate in the world, ends in the year 2012.

If you pet a cat 70 million times, you will have developed enough static electricity to light a 60-watt light bulb for one minute.

It was once a law to say "God bless you" after someone sneezed.

Entering a phone number into Google's search engine will result in a home address and a map leading to that address.

If you yelled for over eight and a half years, you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.

Crystal Clair
August 4th, 2006, 10:44 PM
I was reading about Japanese lifestyles when I stumbled upon something just unbelievable.
Despite how populated and small Japan is, there is a school where only one student goes to. That's right, ONE. I'd be glad to link to the article if anyone doesn't believe me. The student has to take constant trips to the nearest school where the population is four so she can socialize
btw, soon the school's population will grow a little, but that's only cuz the students' siblings will be there.
I bet you never expected something like that from Japan
And yes, the easy-to-read facts
popular pizza toppings in Japan are corn, mayonaisse, seafood and seaweed. (not sure about the later)

Clans of long ago that wanted to get rid of their unwanted people without killing them use to burn their houses down - hence the expression "to get fired."

Canada is an Indian word meaning "Big Village".

The term, "It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" is from Ancient Rome. The only rule during wrestling matches was, "No eye gouging." Everything else was allowed, but the only way to be disqualified was to poke someone's eye out.

Hershey's Kisses are called that because the machine that makes them looks like it's kissing the conveyor belt.

If you fart consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.

The human heart creates enough pressure when it pumps out to the body to squirt blood 30 feet.

Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour. (so what are you waiting for?)

Some of these I thought were very interesting.

I found the facts here. Beware, the page is EXTREMELY long.
(http://www.uselessfacts.ca/)

latios1993
August 4th, 2006, 11:29 PM
man you might as well drink out of your toilet!!!!(when it's clean, duh not when it's dirty that's just nastey!)

Gary, the Magic Fairy
August 8th, 2006, 09:25 PM
I got some:

Did you know that:
-Cat's purring can make bones heal faster
-Frequencies of 7 hertz can cause osteoporosis
-Sharks and rays are the only animals known to man that don't get cancer
-Human birth control pills work on gorillas(XD)
-Giraffes can't cough
-All shrimp are born male, but slowly grow into females as they mature
-Humans have three color receptors in their eyes, while goldfish have four, and mantis shrimp have ten
-The mako shark and great white shark are warm blooded
-Snakes don’t bite in rivers or swamps because they would drown if they did
-The giant crab of Japan can be as large as 12 feet across
-A cat's jaw cannot move sideways
-In 1992 five cows were killed in drive by shootings
-In Vermont, the ratio of cows to people is 10:1
-Chickens lay the most eggs when pop music is being played
-If you feed a seagull Alka-Seltzer, its stomach will explode
-Pigs can become alcoholics
-A blue whale's tongue weighs more than an elephant
-Minnows have teeth in their throat
-Penguins can jump as high as 6 feet in the air
-Armadillos are the only animal besides humans that can get leprosy
-To escape the grip of a crocodile's jaws, push your thumbs into its eyeballs-it will let you go instantly
-Many hamsters only blink one eye at a time
-The leg bones of a bat are so thin that no bat can walk
-During WWII, Americans tried to train bats to drop bombs
-Most tropical marine fish could survive in a tank filled with human blood(XD)
-Rabbits never walk
-Frogs never drink
-The only continent without reptiles is Antarctica
-In Wales, there are more sheep than people
-Polar bears are left handed

Ok, I'm done...

dy14n.cr4v3r
August 9th, 2006, 07:27 PM
-During WWII, Americans tried to train bats to drop bombs
O_O I wonder how that turned out... <_<

Gary, the Magic Fairy
August 9th, 2006, 08:52 PM
O_O I wonder how that turned out... <_<
-During WWII, Americans tried to train bats to drop bombsThat pretty much answers that question...

Kylie-chan
August 10th, 2006, 03:45 AM
Got any evidence for the American/bat thing? :D I don't believe anyone would be that stupid. xD

dy14n.cr4v3r
August 10th, 2006, 12:40 PM
That pretty much answers that question...

I know that. <_<
I was being sarcastic.

Aether
August 10th, 2006, 03:56 PM
response to almost every fact:O.o (where did you find this stuff?!?!)

Allstories
August 10th, 2006, 04:09 PM
DID YOU KNOW...?

A lot of the 'facts' in this thread are fake/severly misleading.

Smarties-chan
August 13th, 2006, 05:08 AM
Got any evidence for the American/bat thing? :D I don't believe anyone would be that stupid. xD
Well, technicaly it would be possible to train bats to drop bombs. The thought isn't nearly as ridiculous as you think. Do you even know how many animals are being trained for military purposes? Training animals for finding mines, explosives etc seems to be hip and happening right now, so why wouldn't it be possible to train them to drop bombs instead of finding them?

DID YOU KNOW...?

A lot of the 'facts' in this thread are fake/severly misleading.
^
I'll have to agree with Allstories on that one.

viridian doubletongue
August 13th, 2006, 05:10 AM
What kind of size bombs would they give to the bats!?

Smarties-chan
August 13th, 2006, 05:17 AM
What kind of size bombs would they give to the bats!?
It depends on the bat. Of course the bombs wouldn't be that big, but a large bat swarm with each bat holding a small explosive thingandwhat'sit could do some significant damage. And I'm not saying Americans would actually have tried training bats for dropping bombs, but it would be possible.

parallelzero
August 13th, 2006, 05:40 AM
Most bottled water companies that claim to use spring water just use normal tap water... That's all I got. XD

Krafty Quill
August 20th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Did you know that peices of ham can press buttons? O_O

True Story:

Being the cruelly informative piece of ham that I am

All I got sorry ^^"

Klippy
August 21st, 2006, 12:02 AM
Did you know that peices of ham can press buttons? O_O

True Story:
Being the cruelly informative piece of ham that I am

All I got sorry ^^"

Best...Fact...EVAR!!

Oh...did you know:

Chuck Norris does not age. Every birthday, it's just another year added to his existence, which sucks for you.
Chuck Norris beat the Sun in a staring contest.
Chuck Norris can have his cake AND eat it too.
Some people get lucky and kill two birds with one stone. Chuck Norris once killed four birds with half a stone. What's that? You say there's no such thing as half a stone? The four dead birds didn't think so either.
Chuck Norris CAN lick his elbow.
P is for Chuck Norris, as is every other letter of the alphabet.
Chuck Norris is allowed to talk about Fight Club.
Chuck Norris lost both his legs in a car accident....and still managed to walk it off.
When Chuck Norris picks his nose, he REALLY does find Gold.
Time waits for no man. Unless that man is Chuck Norris.
Wilt Chamberlain claims to have slept with more than 20,000 women in his lifetime. Chuck Norris calls this "a slow Tuesday."
Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.
Chuck Norris doesn't bowl strikes, he just knocks down one pin and the other nine faint.
There are no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, Chuck Norris lives in Oklahoma.
Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.
Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.
Fear is not the only emotion Chuck Norris can smell. He can also detect hope, as in "I hope I don't get a roundhouse kick from Chuck Norris."
Chuck Norris smells what the Rock is cooking... because the Rock is Chuck Norris' personal chef.
Chuck Norris kills anyone that asks, "You want fries with that" because by now everyone should know that Chuck doesn't ever want fries with anything. Ever.
Everybody loves Raymond. Except Chuck Norris.
There are two types of people in the world... people that suck, and Chuck Norris.
When you say "no one's perfect", Chuck Norris takes this as a personal insult.
In the X-Men movies, none of the X-Men super-powers are done with special effects. Chuck Norris is the stuntman for every character.

Gunn
August 21st, 2006, 12:40 AM
Ahahaha. I love the four dead birds one.

I have a few to add to that:

Guns don't kill people, Chuck Norris kills people.
Some people ask for a Kleenex when they sneeze, Chuck Norris asks for a body bag.
Every time Chuck Norris smiles, someone dies. Unless he smiles while he’s roundhouse kicking someone in the face. Then two people die.

Ryoutarou
August 21st, 2006, 03:58 AM
Those have got to be the most annoying and overused quotes anyone has ever come up with.

Drifblim
August 21st, 2006, 04:14 AM
Yeast, which is used to make bread, is a fungus.

Klippy
August 21st, 2006, 01:38 PM
Those have got to be the most annoying and overused quotes anyone has ever come up with.

Sorry. But, those weren't quotes, they were facts about Sir Norris.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
August 21st, 2006, 06:13 PM
Did you know that snake bited actually makes you stringer.

:t093:~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~

CHaRiSMa
August 31st, 2006, 08:29 AM
God I loved the posts with Chuck Norris... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I almoust fell down of the chair while laughing.. but seriuosly this are the funniets jokes about Chuck I've ever read..

I also hardly believe that Americans wanted to use bats in WWII.. I mean how could somebody be that stupid?? But on the other hand if someone would train really well.. ah who knows I know I agree with Allstories--> I mean some of the fact are really weird..

I just can't believe how you've all managed to find so much information.. I only got one but hey I might as well post it: Did you know that a dog's saliva contains less bacteria than ours (I mean if the dog is healthy of course) I mean there's a far higher risk that our blood will get poisoned if dog bites ous rather than a human. So when you'll be thinking about going on a date with somebody consider going with a dog (at least when it comes to frenching :D)
BTW: a teacher at school told me that:D

Oh and as far as tap water is concerned the fact that it's just filtered toilet water isn't going to stop me from drinking it!