PDA

View Full Version : Price Cut on PS3 in Japan

Gunn
September 25th, 2006, 04:53 PM
The Sony Corporation decides to cut the price of the PlayStation® 3 in Japan by 20 percent, costing the consumers there 47,600 yen (410 USD). According to our lovely Sony Computer Entertainment President Ken Kutaragi at the Tokyo Game Show in Makuhari, the reason for the price cut was because of consumers complaining of the price being incredible high. This price cut is only affecting the 20 gigabyte hard drive, not the 60. Prices seems to remain the same in the United States and elsewhere.
(Full story here ... (http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/fun.games/09/22/sony.playstation3.ap/index.html))

Any opinions on this? Or just least to ask, would you like to see this happen where you live? (if you find it pretty pricey yourself).

oni flygon
September 25th, 2006, 06:07 PM
I kind of expected this, but I thought that Sony will be cutting the price internationally. Well, if Sony isn't going to be cutting prices elsewhere, people won't be buying the PS3.

SBaby
September 25th, 2006, 07:21 PM
I'm pretty sure they'll cut the prices here (though it might be after the first month). Even Microsoft took a $150 shot from each 360 they sold.

Arcanine
September 25th, 2006, 08:12 PM
This has to be a first. Having a big price cut like that before a system is launched.
But I don't blame them, that $500 price tag is stupid (the $600 is worse). It might help them pick up some sells.

Amachi
September 25th, 2006, 11:26 PM
It's a stupid cut anyway.

It's only off the core model (the cheaper one with abrely anything in it).

I doubt it'll happen anywhere else really. America has preference for the "deluxe" PS3, so it wouldn't really matter to them anyway, and PS3 is gonna be released everywhere else around the world in March '07.

ANd chances are, they wouldn't even make the release price less then cause they need to recover their losses.

But to me, it now seems that Sony is seriously sucking up for support.

Pretty Boy Sean
September 30th, 2006, 03:37 AM
I wish they'd cut the price in the U.S.! :(

Gunn
September 30th, 2006, 12:24 PM
I wish they'd cut the price in the U.S.! :(

Well, I haven't heard of any confirmation on that, but I was told that this have effect on the US in December, probably after a month since it's release date.

Organization#13
October 9th, 2006, 10:52 AM
They need to cut the price for both the 20 gig and 60 gig PS3's in the US. I have $600 saved exactly. Which is still not enough, with tax and warranty.

But then again, It doesnt really matter to me because I'm gonna buy the PS3 in the fall of next year, when all the good games come out (mainly Metal Gear Solid 4)I should have way more than enough, because by then they would cut the price by at least $100, since it wouldve already been a year since it's release.

Intuition
October 10th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Lol, first wise move Sony has made in a long time. Still not buying it though ;x Going to save for the Wii.

Forci Stikane
October 10th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Pathetic. It won't help them. Considering everyone else's prices, they have already lost this war: REVOLUTION FOREVER!!

$250 superior gaming system > $600 (or even $400) gaming system with no truly good games

...at release

SBaby
October 24th, 2006, 09:57 PM
no truly good games

...at release

Except for Oblivion. And possibly FFXIII. And maybe MGS 4.

Anyway, since I'm not gonna get one until it's been out for at least three months (to weed out possible defective systems), the launch titles aren't really that important to me anyway. Even if those weren't available upon release, it wouldn't affect me any. I go where FF goes, and that means I'm going with the PS3. Course, that doesn't mean I won't get the other systems.

As for the prices, all I can really say is just make sure you all know what the Data Continuum is.

DarkDoom3000
November 18th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Pathetic. It won't help them. Considering everyone else's prices, they have already lost this war: REVOLUTION FOREVER!!

$250 superior gaming system > $600 (or even $400) gaming system with no truly good games

...at release

WTF no good games!?!?!?!!?
EG-exclusive

metal gear solid 4 EX
Devil may cry 4 EX
socom 4 EX
killzone 3 EX
ratchet and clank 5 EX
jak 4(or is it 5) EX
gran trismo 5 EX
gran theft auto 4(or 7)
resident evil 5
Final Fantasy 13 EX(well the main one is exclusive)
Tekken 6 EX
Resistance: Fall of Man EX
Half Life
Heavenly sword EX

PS3 4 life!!

Forci Stikane
November 19th, 2006, 09:05 AM
WTF no good games!?!?!?!!?

AT RELEASE. How many of those games are available at the get-go? I don't think very many.

Cloud_boy
November 19th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Well, I'll hace you people know that Sony is actually losing money for each PS3 sold, so that drop in price might mean it has little hope against the 360 and the Wii.