PDA

View Full Version : Too many Pokemon?

Kraka-chan
September 26th, 2006, 10:04 AM
I don't know if anyone has asked this question before, but I'll ask anyway.

Does anyone feel that there are too many Pokemon to catch?
I felt that they should have stopped at 386 (was it?) because it's really tiring trying to catch all of them, including the ones that you only get in official downloads.

Please be honest.

Squeegee Beckenheim
September 26th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Yes, I have to agree with you. WAY too many Pokemon. But I think the more the merrier, actually. More of a challenge. However, I think this brand new set coming out, might make things unbearable. Especially seeing that you can trade only 10 a day, it might kill us.

Kraka-chan
September 26th, 2006, 10:16 AM
There's not just the trading, there's also breeding to get the baby Pokemon.
They are cute though.

Eureka1
September 26th, 2006, 11:17 AM
i think the first 151 pokemon are classic and it should have stayed that way ^_^

Astinus
September 26th, 2006, 01:05 PM
I'm still having difficulties collecting all the Pokémon from the classic G/S/C era. I felt that back then, 251 were too much to handle. When R/S/E came out, it was beginning to get a little ridiculous. I can only sit here and wonder how many Pokémon we have to try and catch before we finally "catch 'em all."

The download-only Pokés are annoying in their own right. Why, there are fans that can't make it to America or Japan to download a Pokémon. It doesn't seem like brillant planning on Nintendo's part.

melod.ii ous demyx~♪
September 26th, 2006, 01:13 PM
I agree too. There can be too much of a good thing, and even tho they are all way cute, creative, and unique... it just becomes ... too much to handle. it's still alot of fun tho! =3

Jirachi-master
September 26th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Well, if you think 386 is a lot, there are about 500 for you to catch now.

Jeremy
September 26th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Well sweeties, I like the fact that there's so many Pokémon. x3 They're all so kawaii. But it's making the slogan "Gotta catch'em all" seem impossible now, don't ya think? XD Oh well, I don't have a problem with it. =3

Rioku_Zanketa
September 26th, 2006, 02:34 PM
and I'm pretty sure there will be more pokemon in the future...after all...there IS a WORLD of pokemon,right?.....>=O

but yea..I'm tired of it too....I'm still trying to get all 150 on the first series....but that's cuz I need one more,and I'm troo lazy to start over for it(omanyte)and I haven't played it in a while...and I have caught the majority in the other eras....

Astinus
September 26th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Yes, well I understand that there doesn't seem to be an end to catching Pokémon. There will always be new ones coming out every four-ish year or so. Which is why I decided to stop trying to catch 'em all, and just catch the ones that I like. Besides, what do you get when your Pokédex is full? A certificate. Whoopee.

Ai
September 26th, 2006, 05:16 PM
I have to agree that there are too many Pokemon... but then the series can't really continue without releasing new ones.. hmm?

Water Sage
September 26th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Yeah, and then we'd be dead. It'll continue, they wouldn't let us down... Hopefully. Yeah... Pokemon is a HUGE franchise, and they wouldn't let us down. Uh-huh.

Natsuki
September 26th, 2006, 08:09 PM
There's like what...500 Pokemon so far? According to SPP, there's about 114 new Pokemon, so yeah, I think there's getting to be quite a lot. I'm not complaining though, the new games look fun and it's always exciting to see what new combinations they can come up with for Pokemon. X3

~Kelsey

DoubleWide
September 26th, 2006, 08:34 PM
The only problem with the new Pokemon is that each one MUST have its own episode. Its only a minor annoyance, thought.

miyo
September 26th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Actually, I don't mind memorising a few more pokemon names. :P The more the merrier; if there's too little pokemon, then what's the point of carrying on the series till diamond and pearl? hahas. that's my view though, I'm going for the 'more pokemon' stand~

Kraka-chan
September 27th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Well, if you think 386 is a lot, there are about 500 for you to catch now.

That's how many there's going to be in total? Good grief!

I reckon they should change the slogan to "Gotta Catch As Many As You Can!" lol
I agree with those who say that they should've stayed at 151. The originals were classic! ^_^

Arcanine
September 27th, 2006, 08:15 AM
They are getting hard to remember (all the names, numbers, types, attacks and so one). But I don't think it's too many. If they only stuck with the number they got now (not counting D/P Pokemon) then how will the games go on? If you don't bring anything new to the mix then it'll die (it would have died long ago if they just stuck with the R/B/Y set).

Cosmic Tyrant
September 27th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Well, I always thought it should have died during G/S/C. It was fine then, but now it's just getting ridiculous. I mean 386!?!?!? That's a frickin' lot! and as for the specil downloads, I always thought they were pretty cheap. and now there's gonna be 500!!! I hope they stop soon, personally, but I do love the series!

Water Sage
September 27th, 2006, 02:09 PM
No, they shouldn't stop, the franchise is so many people's life, seriously, people would commit suicide...

Dragonfree
September 27th, 2006, 02:35 PM
More is always better.

If you don't feel like catching them all, then don't. It's as simple as that.

And I'll be frank and say that anybody who is too lazy to remember some 500 Pokémon names doesn't deserve to be a Pokémon fan. It's really not that difficult, and it's not a matter of memory - you already know probably tens of thousands of nouns, and 500 more is not too much for you unless you're mentally retarded, okay? It's laziness, pure laziness.

Otter Mii-kun
September 27th, 2006, 02:43 PM
They are getting hard to remember (all the names, numbers, types, attacks and so one). But I don't think it's too many.
There's getting to be more and more almost each year, that it's almost impossible to even know them all anymore!

Dragonfree
September 27th, 2006, 03:08 PM
<_<;;

"And I'll be frank and say that anybody who is too lazy to remember some 500 Pokémon names doesn't deserve to be a Pokémon fan. It's really not that difficult, and it's not a matter of memory - you already know probably tens of thousands of nouns, and 500 more is not too much for you unless you're mentally retarded, okay? It's laziness, pure laziness." - my post just before you

Spencer
September 27th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Nah, I like having a lot of pokemon. It keeps making your team variey.

Aegis
September 27th, 2006, 06:56 PM
I agree with above ^

I like the variety, and actually haven't thought there were to many until now

Volta.
September 27th, 2006, 07:54 PM
I personally think that starting from R/S/E, pokemon is just starting to kick into high gear, as i've mentioned in some other thread.
I wanna see how long it takes em to get to 1000, if they get there :\ .Though, after G/S/C series, I think "Gotta catch 'em all!" wasn't a suitable slogan anymore because Pokemon became less about capturing a species to be held in a pokeball forever and more about becoming friends with them and having fun and stuff with them.

Arcanine
September 27th, 2006, 08:00 PM
More is always better.

And I'll be frank and say that anybody who is too lazy to remember some 500 Pokémon names doesn't deserve to be a Pokémon fan. It's really not that difficult, and it's not a matter of memory - you already know probably tens of thousands of nouns, and 500 more is not too much for you unless you're mentally retarded, okay? It's laziness, pure laziness.
I guess I'm not a real Pokemon fan. And I'm also a mentally retarded person for having a hard time remembering all the Pokemon, their types and numbers and stuff.

Sylphiel
September 27th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Heh, I never bothered with the numbers myself - as long as I can remember names and types, especially of the ones I love, then I'm fine.
Not like I can remember all of the numbers anyways - I've got a good memory, but it just doesn't like to keep numbers within it.

I don't think there's too many yet; but then again, one of the main reasons I love pokemon is because I love video game monsters and the designs that can be made up for them. I'd hate missing out on seeing new, unique ideas just because someone feels there's "too much" already.

Now, if Pokemon were to get to the point where all the new pokemon were just about literally carbon copies of others (and I don't mean having the same basic idea or type, I mean having just about the same exact design), then I might think otherwise - but the games haven't quite gotten there, so I say keep 'em coming for now. :)

Rinji
September 27th, 2006, 09:36 PM
I think having more makes it more interesting ^^ It makes it so you have more otions when building a party, etc.

Krobelus
September 27th, 2006, 09:42 PM
I think having more makes it more interesting ^^ It makes it so you have more otions when building a party, etc.

Yes, I agree. I heard there will be almost 500 Pokemon altogether with the new D/P coming up, with all those pokemon, its kind of hard to have an exact same Pokemon team. And i agree, the more pokemon the better, but have you guys noticed that the newer the pokemon, the more detailed they become? compare a pikachu with a groudon, or something with lots of designs, you can pretty much tell which pokemon is newer then the other one.

Pikachu_Charizard
September 27th, 2006, 10:26 PM
All they have to do is release a catridge for all the Pokemon unavalible on D/P and R/S.

miyo
September 28th, 2006, 12:35 AM
I agree with those who say that they should've stayed at 151. The originals were classic! ^_^

lols. I agree with you, the originals were classic!! =) But the newer ones appealed to me quite well though.. xD
hahas. 151 were the indigenious pokemon~~ there goes the origins of Pokemon history!! :P

Kylie-chan
September 28th, 2006, 12:44 AM

Do you realise how offensive that post is? I'd love to give you an infraction for it. Basically, you're calling everyone who doesn't bother memorising it because it takes up too much mental space retarded. That's offensive to both people who don't have learning difficulties and people who do, because comparing being an ordinary person who can't remember all 500 Pokémon names [I mean, for heaven's sake, those tens of thousands of nouns will come in handy in our lifetime, memorising the Pokédex isn't going to get us a job] to being mentally retarded is disgraceful. =/ Memorising those tens of thousands of nouns... I read the dictionary, I have a huge vocabulary, but I can't just call it all to my head; I don't spend all day remembering all the nouns I know.

It's elitism, pure elitism.

I think they need to stop. =/ They're getting unoriginal. They need to introduce more interesting things to the game, not just churn out a few more lame things. --; Like a baby Mantine? Gah, it's cute, but...

And I'll be frank and say that anybody who is too lazy to remember some 500 Pokémon names doesn't deserve to be a Pokémon fan. It's really not that difficult, and it's not a matter of memory - you already know probably tens of thousands of nouns, and 500 more is not too much for you unless you're mentally retarded, okay? It's laziness, pure laziness." - my post just before you

They probably saw it, doesn't mean they agree with you. >.>

To be fair, I can name all the 386 Pokémon [I haven't seen the new ones yet except for a few like Pochama], their types, and recognise them from their sprites and which generation they are; but that is just my ability to absorb things like a sponge. I certainly can't name them in order. I'm not even sure which Pokémon is #1. >_>; All I know is Pikachu is #25 in the classic numbering. =x [Or is it? Wow.]

Although I like to see new Pokémon when they're original... they're getting veryyyyyyy lame now.

Te-em
September 28th, 2006, 01:58 AM
It's hard to train them all to Lv.100.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
September 28th, 2006, 04:52 AM
I really think its too many Pokemon. I really don't even know how many there are actually, probably around 500. It took me 3 years to learn all of the Pokemon and its going to take me even a longer time

:t093:~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~

Water Sage
September 28th, 2006, 04:08 PM
It took you 3 years? It took me 3 days per generation...

And to complete your Dex, you just have to find them...

Volta.
September 28th, 2006, 04:17 PM
They probably need more attacks and more ways of teaching attacks. And no more bland sprites! The days were good in yellow when you could like talk to pikachu and see his mood and stuff, I want more personality!

Water Sage
September 28th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Yeah, I agree. I want Pocchama to follow me... But there's not too many Pokes if you simply have to find them all...

Astinus
September 28th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Yeah, I agree. I want Pocchama to follow me... But there's not too many Pokes if you simply have to find them all...
And get to those fun Nintendo events that were only in America and Japan. It's so easy to get to those all the time anyhow, especially for those who don't live near one of those big cities of the grand ol' USA.

I know all the Pokémon released so far. I am able to recognize them and remember what types they are. I just find it more to my benefit to spend my time on, you know, something that will actually get me a job...like school. Which also explains why I don't want to spend the oodles of time trying to find and raise 500 creatures of pixels.

Eureka1
September 28th, 2006, 05:11 PM

lol in the original pokemon diamond you could do that ^_^

Drew
September 28th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Honestly, I've never tried to 'Catch em all' ...I've just gotten the ones I wanted, or at least most of them on one game, and beaten all the gyms.
After that I raise all my Pokemon to high levels, and keep training them... but thats it.

I've never tried to catch all of them...

Anyhoo, Yeah I think there are too many of them.... but honestly at the same time 'There can never be too many Pokemon! x___x NEVER!! *dies*'

I'm looking forward to all the D/P Pokemon, actually.

Water Sage
September 28th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Well, this generation will be harder to memorize for me, considering that, after being absent from Pokemon for 5 months, I lost my ability to remember the name of something so simple as Shiftry. Oh... And I don't think anyone's retarded for not memorizing the names. It's tough for some...

Pikachu_Charizard
September 28th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Would you buy a new Pokemon game if there were no new Pokemon?
For the fifth generation they should only make thirty new Pokemon.

Volta.
September 28th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Well I mean , peeps still play the heck out of ROMs and remakes...

Pikachu_Charizard
September 29th, 2006, 12:11 AM
But GameFreak can`t always make remakes.

miyo
September 29th, 2006, 07:05 AM
actually, a good way to learn the names would be to play the various versions on gameboy.. I mean, that's how I did it.. and it worked pretty well for me~ oh, and it's best if you've a game guidebook by your side.. really comes in handy =)

Professor Pine
September 29th, 2006, 08:29 AM
I think the more the better, who cares if you can't catch em all?

"The Empire will take all!"

CHaRiSMa
September 29th, 2006, 08:45 AM
I agree with Dragonfree and GigaSlash - the more various pokemon the better and it's not so hard to remember their names I mean if people can remember difficult and dull math and physics nouns I think it's 100x times easier and more fun to remeber pokemon :)

I think Nintendo should change the slogan from ˝catch'em all˝ to ˝catch as many as you want˝ and the problem is solved.

Toadsworth
September 29th, 2006, 09:32 AM
I don't think that there are TOO many pokemon. There are much pokemon, but I like it! More pokemon, more choice! Now you will never see the same partys! I like it. Nintendo must make another thousand of them :D

SephirothX
September 29th, 2006, 10:01 AM
It was hard enough getting 151 in R/B/Y/G. The way I see it, they should have, at most, stopped with 251. 386 was too many already, and now there's another 100 or so coming... Waaaaaaaaaaaay too many.

Water Sage
September 29th, 2006, 02:22 PM
No, we need variety. Nobody's team should be the same. And it's not too hard to remember the names, like miyo said, if you have a guide at your side (YAY! I RHYMED).

Yoko-Chan
September 29th, 2006, 03:33 PM
yeah I kinda do really. I think 151 poke's was more than enough.
but on the other side It's cool that they keep on making new poke's too!
pokemon keep on livin, and for that I'm happy^^
besides you can create new teams and stuff =D
sooo..I guess I'm okay with It hehe xD

Pikachu_Charizard
September 29th, 2006, 05:00 PM
People would`nt buy a new Pokemon game with a new region without new Pokemon unless the game had really good graphics.

BROOKE_&_LUGIA
September 29th, 2006, 10:04 PM
no way!!!!!! there is no such thing as 2 many pokemon!!!!!! =D

Water Sage
September 30th, 2006, 06:46 AM
People would`nt buy a new Pokemon game with a new region without new Pokemon unless the game had really good graphics.

Yet people bought FR/LG... And those were remakes.

Astinus
September 30th, 2006, 07:12 AM
And those games were just remakes...without a new region...without new Pokémon...and really good graphics...

Like I said before, yes, you can remember all the Pokémon names. I did. It's just that sitting in college, that's not needed information to get the good grades. The dull and annoying Pythagorean theorem is something that I have to remember for Algebra. We're not whining about not being able to remember all the names. It's just that Dragonfree said that you are "mentally retarded and lazy" if you can't remember them all. I can indeed remember all the names, and memorised the order of the Pokédexes...

But I guess if I can't prattle off the attacks Chansey uses and what level she learns them, and what types they are...then I guess I don't deserve to be a Pokémon fan.

I'm not against having the new Pokémon come out - Some are getting a little rediculous...Mr. PotatoPass... It does keep the games interesting, and the franchise alive. But still, it has to stop sometime. Not because there will be too many, but because some day, ideas will stop...

miyo
September 30th, 2006, 08:15 AM
And those games were just remakes...without a new region...without new Pokémon...and really good graphics...

Like I said before, yes, you can remember all the Pokémon names. I did. It's just that sitting in college, that's not needed information to get the good grades. The dull and annoying Pythagorean theorem is something that I have to remember for Algebra. We're not whining about not being able to remember all the names. It's just that Dragonfree said that you are "mentally retarded and lazy" if you can't remember them all. I can indeed remember all the names, and memorised the order of the Pokédexes...

But I guess if I can't prattle off the attacks Chansey uses and what level she learns them, and what types they are...then I guess I don't deserve to be a Pokémon fan.

I'm not against having the new Pokémon come out - Some are getting a little rediculous...Mr. PotatoPass... It does keep the games interesting, and the franchise alive. But still, it has to stop sometime. Not because there will be too many, but because some day, ideas will stop...

WOW. you actually memorised the ORDER of the Pokedex!! *claps claps* I can't memorise them, espcially since they keep changing the numbers/orders in the new generations of pokedex.. I am sooo amazed!!

hmmm. and I gotta agree with you, the graphics were ALOT better than the first versions..

Feraligatr19
October 5th, 2006, 04:46 AM
I personally think that there are too many pokemon. I've been waiting to say this ever snce the 4th generation came out. the first 151 were the classics they were the good ones. the 2nd generation was also acceptable, people felt like a change. when it got to the 3rd generation there were just too many. now, with the 4th generation there are just way too many

pokemaster7
October 5th, 2006, 02:51 PM
The more the merrier. more pokemon=more variety in battles.

Volta.
October 5th, 2006, 02:53 PM
The thing is, I dont memorize their order, but I know them when I see them.

Iced Coffee
October 6th, 2006, 01:21 AM
Even though I personally enjoy seeing new pokemon, like people above said, it's getting a bit of a hastle, how many times have you guys tried to form a party (without looking at the pokedex, because that takes away all the fun). And in battles it gets even more anoying since you don't know what the type match up is, (or, as I like to learn, the special defence and the defence points, so I know which attack to use) Also they are getting a bit repeditive (Butterfree - Beautifly ect.) and, they are looking more and more like actual animals (I personally dislike that) But yes... that is my point of veiw!

Charon
October 6th, 2006, 01:27 AM
No. I LOVE discovering new pokemon. Wandering around Hoenn and going 'wtf is that?' was brilliant. I can't wait.

EDIT: I agree with Iced Coffee though. The designs are lack-lustre

Pikachu_Charizard
October 6th, 2006, 05:11 PM
All they need to do is shrink the amount of new Pokemon every genenration to 40 to 60. That way all new Pokemon will have quality.

rekt
October 6th, 2006, 05:15 PM
They should only add a handful more in my opinion, but also make it so that you can catch them all in one game.

Volta.
October 6th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Possibly, after all, I do prefer quality over quantity (this coming from an artist ^_^)
I wonder what it would be like then

~MemmoX~
October 6th, 2006, 07:57 PM
151 was more then enough..

Astinus
October 7th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Might I just say that I didn't completely memorize the Pokédex order? I only got up to Wigglytuff before deciding that there are better things to do with my life.

I do agree that the designs of them are getting pretty weak, in a sense. Before, they were simple. Even I, with my lack of artistic talent, could draw a Lugia once in a while. Now, I look at Diaruga and shake my head. What happen to Pokémon being a collection of simple magical creatures?

Shame as well that we do have repeats. Such as Butterfree and Beautifly, as Iced Coffee said. As soon as I saw Beautifly, I wondered why we needed yet another butterfly-esque Pokémon. Sure, Rattata and Pikachu are both mouse-type, but they look different. Butterfree and Beautifly are near twins in a sense.

But, coming out with new ones keeps the franchise fresh. As others have said, it would be boring if the first 151 were all that we had for the past ten years. I'm sure that I would have moved on elsewhere, if there were no more new ones to discover. Learning the most that I can about the new creatures keeps me in the franchise. Seeing them in the games, meeting them on the show...it just keeps Pokémon interesting.

Pikachu_Charizard
October 8th, 2006, 09:51 PM
You don`t need to know everything about every single Pokemon to have fun playing a Pokemon game. You just need to remember about 20.

Dingbat
October 9th, 2006, 01:41 AM
More is always better.

This may just be the stupidest post I've ever read on any forum anywhere.

Pikachu_Charizard
October 9th, 2006, 02:00 AM
No need to complain somebody else had already done that for you. But seriously Pokemon Gold/Silver would be boring if you had the same starter same for R/S and D/P.

Astinus
October 9th, 2006, 11:33 AM
No need to complain somebody else had already done that for you. But seriously Pokemon Gold/Silver would be boring if you had the same starter same for R/S and D/P.
Yeah, the new Pokémon keeps the franchise fresh. Without the new ones, the idea would have lost popularity after the first 151, especially if they were around for the past ten years.

No, I don't know everything about a Pokémon. I don't know at what level Pidgeotto learns Wing Attack. I do know the typings of a Pokémon so that I can build a good team that doesn't have many weaknesses. As for the other information, well, that's what I drop fifteen dollars on a strategy guide for.

Still, like I said before, some Pokémon feel like repeats. The Butterfree/Beautifly example floats to the top of my mind again. But without the new ones, the franchise would have died out. So let's just be happy that there are new ones coming out.

It's the meeting of these new creatures that keeps me a fan of Pokémon. I like to learn as much as I can about these new ones, and keep learning about the old ones.

Forever
October 10th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Well if they deleted teh pokemon from before or only had teh pokemon from that generation there, and you didn't have to recatch all teh old ones. Yeah that would be teh only reason I'd think there wernt too many pokemon, So in that case, yeah there is too many for me.

<3 Nica--Wants only teh pokemon from that generation in that game

Kraka-chan
October 10th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Another thing that bothers me is that there's too many Water-type Pokemon and not enough Ghost or Dragon types.

I really think that they should cut down on them.

Diamond Phoenix
October 10th, 2006, 12:46 AM
I don't mind the new Pokemon...some of them are a little boring, and I'm getting annoyed with these evos and prevos of already existing Pokemon, but I suppose the more Pokemon there are, the longer the game will last, and Pokemon is one of the few games in which you could still be playing the same file for longer than a month!

Ascendancy
October 10th, 2006, 10:12 AM
I also don't mind new pokemon, I love seeing new designs and move sets. However, once Pokemon reaches numbers of above the 1000 mark, I might have to just give up on the series.

Plateface
October 13th, 2006, 07:19 PM
It'll take anouther 15 years before the Pokemon numbers go upto 1000.

The more the better, because I mean there are millions of species of animals in our world whereas in Pokemon just takes place in 4 regions of maybe thousands more.

$H-GAGE$
October 14th, 2006, 01:10 AM
man, i totally agree!
its like so confusing and evry day a new PKMN is released and WTH
!!!
like new daiaruga...and...ummm...i dont evn kno the names danm it!!!

Ausaudriel
October 14th, 2006, 02:45 AM
..I really don't understand this "Too much pokemon!" nonsense. Come on, honestly, what's wrong with a large variety? O_o;

I fully support the addition of more. In terms of the games, new pokemon every generation is part of the fun. I mean, without new pokemon, what do we have? A new region. Joy.

People just look for something to complain about. "Too many!" They're becoming unoriginal!" Cry cry, whine whine. -_-;

miyo
October 14th, 2006, 03:37 AM
..I really don't understand this "Too much pokemon!" nonsense. Come on, honestly, what's wrong with a large variety? O_o;

I fully support the addition of more. In terms of the games, new pokemon every generation is part of the fun. I mean, without new pokemon, what do we have? A new region. Joy.

People just look for something to complain about. "Too many!" They're becoming unoriginal!" Cry cry, whine whine. -_-;

I totally agree with you!! yeah!! The more the merrier!! We wouldn't want Pokemon to just stop here and then, they'd be no more fun.. New regions = new hope.. it only makes me more hyped up for a new generation of pokemon!! =D

Celebi-
October 14th, 2006, 04:21 AM
I think it's great that they make more pokemon, it would be too boring with 151 over hundreds of anime episodes and the games, just my veiws :p

Celebi-

$H-GAGE$
October 14th, 2006, 07:24 PM
man just think of it like 389 or sumthin pokemon and still counting!!!

like if sumone is very happy that "omg omg i just got a new pokemon card with sum new pokemon" and the next day its on TV that there is a newer pokemon released! ? lke WTH@!!!!

Emperor ServingSpoon
October 15th, 2006, 01:16 AM
It's not that people just look for something to complain about... I personally look forward to this new gen more and more... But then I see some new Pokemon and look at it, and it really isn't what I'd hoped for in a new Pokemon. Either it looks like it belongs better in some other series, looks generic and thrown together, or just plain doesn't look good.

For me, the Pokemon are the key point to the franchise. As such, they should be as polished as possible. But then I see a new Pokemon like Bippa, and I just think it looks like rubbish... Same with the spiral-tailed cat... It's not that we're looking for something to complain about... It's that we're looking for something to get excited about, and then something that's nowhere near what we were wanting to be excited about is shown.

Is 500 Pokemon too many? Not at all... But they took 4 years between games this time, and there's less Pokemon, and yet, I don't even feel that all of these Pokemon meet the level of the RS Pokemon(and many people already thought they were rubbish). They definitely need to add more Pokemon each generation... But it's most important that they pay attention to getting their designs looking as good as possible. Everything else about D/P looks like I'll love it(aside from only 151 Pokemon available before beating the game, again), but I'd say there's been at least 1/4 of the new Pokemon that I've seen that I don't like. And that ranges from dislike to loathe.

New Pokemon are definitely needed... But keep their quality up. Zigzagoon, Sentret and Rattata are all cool. Bippa SO isn't.

Plateface
October 15th, 2006, 02:16 AM
The reason why people may not be satisfied with 3rd and 4th gen is because other designers apart from Ken Sugimori were designing the Pokemon.. He's stated that he would like to create the next batch himself tho.

C Sherbii S
October 15th, 2006, 06:32 AM
I believe that there are too many now. When a new set of Pokemon comes out I always feel very over whelmed and am a bit reluctant to play the new games because I feel I haven't even completed the last game. 500 is too many, but I will still get the game because it is something I have been looking forward to for a long time.

~Night
October 15th, 2006, 07:19 AM
:laugh: After a wile you get kinda board with 386 pokemon pretty fast, I meen, if they stopped with 151 then I probly wouln't have cared for the games after a few years unless they got better grafics. Anyways, Havn't you noticed that animals are discoverd every ones and a while!I see what you meen though, maybie pokemon should be "discoverd" every ones and a while, like in real life, but I'm ok with them making 100 pokemon all at ones.:laugh:

Celebi-
October 15th, 2006, 06:44 PM
The Red and Green versions were initially released in Japan on February 27, 1995.

The Blue version was released in Japan on October 27, 1996.

On September 12, 1998, Pokémon Yellow was released in Japan.

On November 21, 1999, Pokémon Gold and Silver were released in Japan.

Pokémon Crystal, the equivalent Yellow version of Gold and Silver, was released in Japan on December 14, 2000.

Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire were released in Japan on November 21, 2002.

On January 29, 2004, Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen were released in Japan.

Pokémon Emerald was released in Japan on September 16, 2004, and was released in North America on May 1, 2005.

It's been 2 years since the last game was released, plenty of time to finish it :p

500 pokemon over 10 years. It's not that much.

Bomberman
October 15th, 2006, 06:53 PM
I hope that with WiFi and all, they can extend the time between the 4th and 5th generation.

Gokey Shuckle
October 15th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Now that pretty much every non-legenday, non-starter Pokemon can be catchable in D/P, getting a huge variety of Pokemon is no big deal at all. As long as my precious Shuckle makes it to D/P, I'll be happy.

Collecting is fun, but no one should stress over huge amounts of Pokemon. Just be happy that there is a variety. I like variety. I just wish there were more Fire Pokemon.

Shooting_star*
October 16th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Kinda yes kinda no, i liked the original ones, and i think they SHOULD have new ones, but im not sure how many more they are gunna add.. so :)

Bomberman
October 16th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Now that pretty much every non-legenday, non-starter Pokemon can be catchable in D/P, getting a huge variety of Pokemon is no big deal at all. As long as my precious Shuckle makes it to D/P, I'll be happy.

Collecting is fun, but no one should stress over huge amounts of Pokemon. Just be happy that there is a variety. I like variety. I just wish there were more Fire Pokemon.

Well said. As far as variety, I'd like them to even out the types. Am I the only one to notice how there are more water types than anything else?

Dizzy-D
October 16th, 2006, 02:06 PM
There's way too meny pokemon, I hope they don't go any further and bring another 200 in.

Volta.
October 16th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Well said. As far as variety, I'd like them to even out the types. Am I the only one to notice how there are more water types than anything else?

YES, THERE ARE WAY TOO MANY

We need more fire types and steel types. Dragons too. If they dont make more pokemon, then all the possibilities wont be revealed and, obviously, the series will die.

Plateface
October 16th, 2006, 09:03 PM
I can wait for the next unveiling of the new 5th generation Pokemon which should begin possibly this time next year.

Volta.
October 16th, 2006, 09:09 PM
...Usually it takes 2-4 years between Generations (e.g. R/B/Y= 1997-1998ish, G/S/C= 2000, R/S/E= 2003, D/P= 2007)

FullmetalxFangirl
October 16th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Do you realise how offensive that post is? I'd love to give you an infraction for it. Basically, you're calling everyone who doesn't bother memorising it because it takes up too much mental space retarded. That's offensive to both people who don't have learning difficulties and people who do, because comparing being an ordinary person who can't remember all 500 Pokémon names [I mean, for heaven's sake, those tens of thousands of nouns will come in handy in our lifetime, memorising the Pokédex isn't going to get us a job] to being mentally retarded is disgraceful. =/ Memorising those tens of thousands of nouns... I read the dictionary, I have a huge vocabulary, but I can't just call it all to my head; I don't spend all day remembering all the nouns I know.
Teehee, I have to correct you there. While I agree with you in the fact that it is an offensive post to those who can't remember the names of the pokémon, memorising the pokédex might boost your chances of getting a job with Nintendo. >w<;;

Actually, I noticed this the other day as well. O.o My box for water-types in Ruby is now full to overflowing, as I recently sent over a bunch of 'monners from my FireRed game. I'm having to move most of the hybrids to fit in the pure ones. Now I'm going to lose my lotad. D: It was the first pokémon I officially caught on Sapphire. <3

CHaRiSMa
October 18th, 2006, 07:09 AM

It's elitism, pure elitism.

It really was offensive.. I mean people have their own opinions and if they chose not to spend all their days just memorising different types of pokemon and rather spend their time doing something which benefits them more; like school then there is nothing the matter with it.

I think they need to stop. =/ They're getting unoriginal. They need to introduce more interesting things to the game, not just churn out a few more lame things. --; Like a baby Mantine? Gah, it's cute, but...

New pokemon maybe unoriginal.. I give you credit on that.. but it just depends on the way how you look at it. I mean there billions of animal spicies on Earth, many of whom look very very much alike but people (at leats many people) like them and appreciate them. You can't just come up to a dobermann and a rotweiler (I'm not sure if I spelled it right) and say one is a copy of another just because they're both dogs and look alike. New animal evolve every day. Of course many of them look alike but still they are all very different nontheless, and we should try to look at every pokemon like an individual. Yeah, sure Beautifly is similar to Butterfree but I'm certain that it must also have it's unique qualaties which Butterfree doesn't and the same goes for Butterfree too. It is perhaps just the flaw of the game or the anime that they didn't depict the unique characteristics of certain pokemon.

I think this is the way we should look on pokemon too. Sure it is difficult to catch all those pokemon in the game, I don't have the games at home but I did played them a few times so I know how it works. But still I think that the whole point of cathing pokemon is that it is supposed to be hard. If caught a pokemon for which I was trying to catch for a long long time, I would feel most pleased that I have finally achieved my goal. Let's not forget the harder is the path to success the more sweet is the taste of victory (it is not really a saying.. I just made it up.. lol)

P.S. Does anyone know if Satoshi Tajiri drew all those pokemon.. I mean he is the creator of pokemon but there so many new different pokemon that I think that there's a different author behind them. And do you think there's a possibility for a pokemon fan to contact Nintendo or whichever company designes new pokemon and send them his own scetches of a new pokemon and then they would decide wheter they will use for the game and the anime or not?

Plateface
October 18th, 2006, 06:15 PM
...Usually it takes 2-4 years between Generations (e.g. R/B/Y= 1997-1998ish, G/S/C= 2000, R/S/E= 2003, D/P= 2007)

...I was referrin to the unveiling of the next Pokemon from Gen 5. Should happen in the 10th or 11th movie.

miyo
October 20th, 2006, 06:47 PM
The more the merrier people.. Pokemon fans should welcome new Pokemon with open arms!! We wouldn't want Pokemon to stop at wherever it is, would we.. Let's just continue the Pokemon trend

Captain Arcane
October 21st, 2006, 09:58 PM
I dissagree .
I love the challenge, and for me, I make my PC in numerical oder so I have to catch all the Pokemon. And I have in all games. Even the Unknown, All in alphibetical order.
And be honest, who in the world hassn't cheated in catching the "special event pokemon".
But I think Pokemon has lost its touch a little bit. The first 151 where uniek, and more realistic.

CHaRiSMa
October 22nd, 2006, 03:14 AM
How can a Charmender be more realistic than a Bippa? They both have supernatural abillities :/

Sumshine 904
October 22nd, 2006, 10:55 AM
Yup, I agree, WAY to many Pokemon. And they're starting to run out of species ideas.

Take Butterfree for example. That Pokemon was awesome, and now they copied it to make Beautifly/Dustox.

Now, Spoink. Kinda cute, but admit it, it's a pig with a squiggly tail.

Anyone get my point?

Captain Arcane
October 22nd, 2006, 02:46 PM
Yup, I agree, WAY to many Pokemon. And they're starting to run out of species ideas.

Take Butterfree for example. That Pokemon was awesome, and now they copied it to make Beautifly/Dustox.

Now, Spoink. Kinda cute, but admit it, it's a pig with a squiggly tail.

Anyone get my point?

Yes, i think by now the pokemon public has noticed the similarities between pokemon and other pokemon.
ex.butterfree/beautifly

But than again those are obviesly parts of species.
Its not that there runnning out of species, there making more families.
ex. in real life theres butterflies, but theres different butterflies. Monarc and common white.

See pokemon is becoming more real but more fantasy at the same time.

See so lests think for a minute. butterfree is a bug/flying type, along with beautifly.

So they fall into the category of bug and flying. The species is butterfly, but they are still differet and unique.

So butterfree is related to beautifly as Dustox is related to Venomoth
and vileplume is related to roselia, and sunflora. All different ex.

Pikachu_Charizard
October 23rd, 2006, 02:01 PM
Well at least they don`t have new weird types of Pokemon.

miyo
October 24th, 2006, 05:41 AM
It's better to see something slightly familiar so we can relate to a real animal specie, than to see something totally alien.. something alien would be scary..

well, that's my own take though.

Pikachu_Charizard
October 24th, 2006, 09:54 PM
It would be cool if there were variations of Pokemon, like a Red Pikachu etc...

miyo
October 24th, 2006, 10:18 PM
It would be cool if there were variations of Pokemon, like a Red Pikachu etc...

Yup.. but too much of it would be kidna scary for me.. lols.
I mean, we've seen Red Gyarados.. but imagine a purple Pikachu.. or even a turqoise Raichu.. it'll be freaky.. I don't think at that time I'd be able to classify them as 'cute' anymore.. lols.

But ahh well, it's all really up to the designers.. if they are really that skilled, a purple Pikachu might be cute too :P

Pikachu_Charizard
October 25th, 2006, 02:03 PM
When GameFreak creates a 3d Pokemon Game (like D/P, R/S etc.) with Kanto,Johto etc. they can stop making New Pokemon.

Captain Arcane
October 25th, 2006, 03:14 PM
When GameFreak creates a 3d Pokemon Game (like D/P, R/S etc.) with Kanto,Johto etc. they can stop making New Pokemon.

Yes, they could stop, and only make new regions, but admet it.
When you get a new pokemon game, your excited about the new attacks, and pokemon. Not to say that they couldn't create new attacks, if they stopped making pokemon.

But its really up to the designers. So we're gonna have to take the back seat and enjoy the ride.

Volta.
October 25th, 2006, 04:39 PM
I still think the more pokemon the better. If only they made them all useful in battle in some way, since most of them are plain bad; theyre just for novelty purposes. If this were so, there would be more variation in online play especially, and therefore more strategy. Its basically the solution to the whole 'create your own character' thing; just make a heck of a lot of pokemon to choose from :) since even now, with 386 pokemon, there are probaby only around 40-70 that people actually use in battle

miyo
October 25th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Yes, they could stop, and only make new regions, but admet it.
When you get a new pokemon game, your excited about the new attacks, and pokemon. Not to say that they couldn't create new attacks, if they stopped making pokemon.

But its really up to the designers. So we're gonna have to take the back seat and enjoy the ride.

yes.. I have to agree with that.. When LeafGreen/FireRed first came out, I was thrilled.. but when I bought it, I was not very interested in playing the game because I"ve seen all these Pokemon in R/B/Y.. Instead, I was more interested in the new POkemon in Ruby/Sapphire.. (I bought Sapphire and Leaf Green at the same time)..

So yeah.. new pokemon, new regions.. it only makes fans more curious and excited xD

Pikachu_Charizard
October 25th, 2006, 09:52 PM
They should add an create your own Pokemon thing in the next generation.

Gama85
October 25th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Honestly, I've never tried to 'Catch em all' ...I've just gotten the ones I wanted, or at least most of them on one game, and beaten all the gyms.
After that I raise all my Pokemon to high levels, and keep training them... but thats it.

I've never tried to catch all of them...

Me also!!

For each generation, I probably catch about 50 pokemon that i put in storage, with a team of 4-5 pokemon (i hate using 6 pokemon at a time) travellin with me

Captain Arcane
October 27th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Me also!!

For each generation, I probably catch about 50 pokemon that i put in storage, with a team of 4-5 pokemon (i hate using 6 pokemon at a time) travellin with me

Not for me! In each pokemon game and I mean every pokemon game, I have caught every single pokemon there is to catch. And I set up my PC so that its in numerical oder. So the first pokemon I see when I open up my PC is Bulbasuar, and the last is deoxys, but I think there was two boxes left so I named one "eggs" and the other something. But yeah, the first box was named "1-30", then the second was "31-60" and so on. You should all try it, it really makes you want to catch them all, and its very addicting, but alot of breeding is involved, but its all worth it. Just seeing every single pokemon in oder in you PC makes you feel so orginized and powerfull.

miyo
October 27th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Me also!!

Me too! Hi-5!! I'd usually catch the ones that I really want first.. then, if there's time and that the Pokemon isn't too hard to find, I'd attempt to capture it complete the collection.. I'm more of catching the ones I want, and only completing the cycle when I feel like it.. :P

Volta.
October 27th, 2006, 06:04 PM
I caught almost 200 in my Sapphire (I had national dex pokemon too)
I actually arrange my boxes by type. Except for Legendaries and Misc.
way...too...many...water...pokemon... X_X

miyo
October 27th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Hahas.. I tried arranging my Pokemon in the pc according to type.. but then, it was too troublesome for me so I gave up arranging it. Instead, I ended up placing POkemon I would commonly use in a box, and those that I intend to train when I'm free in another box etc etc..
I'm a rather disorganised trainer, ain't I? xD

Captain Arcane
October 27th, 2006, 06:16 PM
You guys should try the numerical oder way, its really fun.

Rezeed
October 27th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Honestly, i only have a few things about all your b####ing:

1. Dont you see a good reason why make new Pokemon?
This game series is ment for everyone, so espect pokemon for all types of people and fighting styles.

2. Since there's a new region of course they're gonna have new pokemon that are indiginous to thiat land.

3. If you cant remeber some pokemon and there powers, then big woop.
You'll get the friggin' jist of after a day or two, even less. Mentally disabled or not this a game anyone can play; beside I happen to know some trainers with these kinds of disabilities that are much more better than these cry babies.

Rezeed
October 27th, 2006, 07:28 PM
1 last thing regarding the 1st thing

dont you all remember the comercial for the Hoenn league pokemon