PDA

View Full Version : [ Ðecember Pixel Art Contest «− Discussion thread

Amachi
December 1st, 2006, 04:14 AM
[ Ðecember Pixel Art Contest «−
Discussion thread
Hosted by [ray.z] and mazilwolf
'Tis the season to be jolly, fala lala la, la la la la

Well since it's December, mazilwolf and I think that it would be suitable to have a Christmas theme for this months contest.

However, there is size restriction - we would like everyone maintain a size of 80x80 pixels for there pixel art submission.

But what would Christmas be without gifts?! That's why, in the spirit of Christmas, we would love to see you all make an item of pixel art as a gift for someone else on the forums. And try to keep it one gift per person please and share the spirit 'round (you're welcome to give one to us ^^).

And if you wish, you may also submit more than one gift/entry for the contest - however, only one will be judged (your choice), just to keep it fair ^^.

So feel free to discuss the contest here! And good luck to everyone!
Linkage to the entry thread (http://www.pkmncommunity.com/showthread.php?p=2301927)

Esupio
December 1st, 2006, 07:51 AM
An 80 X 80 size restriction?
No thank you thats put me off

Amachi
December 1st, 2006, 08:04 AM
How does one simple guideline put you off? Too constricting?

If you're gonna make a statement like that, at least explain what exactly your problem is with it, what would you prefer and why.

That'd be appreciated.

Samson
December 1st, 2006, 08:13 AM
a gift huh? does that mean that we can enter more than one entry?

oh geez im all out of ideas XD

Esupio
December 1st, 2006, 08:13 AM
;2302055']How does one simple guideline put you off? Too constricting?

If you're gonna make a statement like that, at least explain what exactly your problem is with it, what would you prefer and why.

That'd be appreciated.

Its a small size, I prefer to make larger piece of pixel art.
I'd agree more with a 100 or 150 restriction, and mainly because it is a restriction, What happens if I wanted to make a massive 500 by 500 piece for someone and I had to lose 420 pixels of it

Amachi
December 1st, 2006, 08:27 AM
a gift huh? does that mean that we can enter more than one entry?

oh geez im all out of ideas XD
mazil and I like the idea, so you may if you wish. Are you gonna give one to both of us? :P

However, only one entry may be judged, just to keep it fair.

Its a small size, I prefer to make larger piece of pixel art.
I'd agree more with a 100 or 150 restriction, and mainly because it is a restriction, What happens if I wanted to make a massive 500 by 500 piece for someone and I had to lose 420 pixels of it
But the thing is, mazil and I want you to make an 80x80 piece. They are the guidelines we have decided upon (with the assistance of a survey too), and we hope that people will appreciate the little bit of challenge that we place upon them. I'm sure you'd understand that.

Well you'd either have to compromise and make it fit into the restrictions placed upon you, or just not create the item of work for submission. It's your choice.

But I hope you do choose to compromise and participate in the competition to the best of your ability. I'd love to see you (and everyone else) participate.

Samson
December 1st, 2006, 04:41 PM
uzumaki, you could always make something fairly large, resize it, and sprite over it. besides, i don't see what there is to complain about. the contest is all fun.

and umm... sure XD...i may need a hint of what you two would like.

Amachi
December 1st, 2006, 08:19 PM
You're exactly right Samson - this is all about having some fun, hence why we came up with the idea of giving creating a gift.

As for what we'd like XD ... you choose! XD

And in reference to Allstories entry: as mad as it looks, thanks for killing the fun of the contest. You could have easily just not have taken any part of it (no one would have cared), but you had to degrade it with your negative attitude. It's appreciated >.>

However, you'll have to wait till July, cause Mr 80x80 lives in the Southern Hemisphere.

Signomi
December 2nd, 2006, 12:35 AM
I don't see what's really wrong with a 80x80 piece myself, it wouldn't kill you to challenge yourself once in a while with either a restricted palette or size. Just see what you can do folks, and good luck!

I may enter, though. But I'll think about it. :>

EDIT - I had a nice chuckle at Allstories' entry. I like the irony in it as well. :x

Esupio
December 3rd, 2006, 02:45 AM
Oh I love allstories.

I also filled in that survey, and didn't complete it due to the fact I don't have a personal spriting size.

Fox♠
December 5th, 2006, 07:18 AM
80 x 80 is ridiculous, 'nuff said.
I mean, it's going to remove a lot of room for detail, thus making it cramped.

Still, I guess it's a challenge.

Allstories
December 5th, 2006, 12:43 PM
It's not so much that 80x80 is too small. That's all part of the challenge and it's a useful exercise in pixeling. The problem is that we have enough people who enter these contests and restrict themselves to a small size anyway, and still only put in a marginal amount of effort into their work.

Fox♠
December 5th, 2006, 12:54 PM
It's not so much that 80x80 is too small. That's all part of the challenge and it's a useful exercise in pixeling. The problem is that we have enough people who enter these contests and restrict themselves to a small size anyway, and still only put in a marginal amount of effort into their work.

80x80 is still very restricting, even if it is a fun challenge, some will view it as a hindrance.

Webus
December 5th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Well,i have a little question,Can i post some sprites to participate in the contest?Sorry for my n00b acts,i am new in sprtes,so....

Amachi
December 5th, 2006, 08:47 PM
So you're saying that a larger size would present a greater challenge to many who enter (as they all usually work small anyway), prompting a greater amount of effort being put into their work?

Well,i have a little question,Can i post some sprites to participate in the contest?Sorry for my n00b acts,i am new in sprtes,so....
Yah huh. Just remember to keep to the Christmas theme.

SephirothX
December 6th, 2006, 12:12 PM
I don't really mind the 80x80 restriction. I prefer sprites over large pixelarts, anyway. Merry Christmas to all, and to all participants, good luck!

beauty. proletariat
December 7th, 2006, 09:41 PM
anyone like my christmas venasaur for alexmad?

http://dylangallagher.googlepages.com/plzdieinafire.gif

OHMYGOD!!! How sick! Die santa!!! die santa!!!!! Hmm... thnx, i'll leave my electric heater (yeh.. harrypotter & chamber of secrets xD! Mr. Weasly) on..

Dragonfree
December 18th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Would a snowman count as Christmasy, or just wintery?

Because I randomly started making a pixel art of a snowman earlier, and thought "Hmm, maybe it's eligible to be entered in the December contest..."

Amachi
December 18th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Well it's great to see more entries.

As for your enquiry Dragonfree: I think it is more of a wintery theme than one of Christmas, so unfortunately it won't be eligible for entry. Sorry.

But you could probably change the design so it does has a Christmas theme.

♥RanaRocket!☆
December 18th, 2006, 11:24 PM
i think a snowman is fine to be honest, remeber this theme lasts until december ends!
as long as its a present to someone, and meets all requirements, i dont see why it should be a problem personally Ray.....

Amachi
December 18th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Having not grown up in an area where it snows at Christmas, To me snowmen don't equate to Christmas. However, since Mazil doesn't have a problem with it, then neither do I ^^

Dragonfree (and anyone else who is considering entering this contest), Snowmen and any related imagery are fine for the contest.

Dragonfree
December 19th, 2006, 03:55 AM
Thanks! I made it more Christmasy anyhow, though...

Also, does it have to be a present for someone on here or can it be someone else?

Amachi
December 19th, 2006, 04:20 AM
It can be a present for anyone ... or no one if you are some sort of Scrooge XP

We included the giving of gifts just so that people will get a little more into the contest, so yeah, givving a gift to anyone is good.

.... or no one if you are some sort of Scrooge XP

Uchiha 1337
December 19th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Um
Can I give a holiday present because I dont do chirstmass
Well I dont know anyone so I'll choose some one random ^^

Amachi
December 19th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Well yeah of course you can, since it is still in the spirit of the contest, which is giving a gift.

Just make sure that you're somehow keeping to a Christmas theme, which can include related themes of winter.

Thanks for the gift Uchiha 1337.

It's nice that you submitted two gifts, but only one can be judged (as stated in the rules), and you failed to specify which one.

So unless you do specify which entry you would like judged by the 31st of December 2006, then both of your entries will be disqualified.

Well, after much thought and some discussion, I've decided that Allstories' entry (http://www.pkmncommunity.com/showpost.php?p=2302530&postcount=2) is disqualified from the contest for the following two reasons:

Not having a Christmas theme
Antagonising myself and mazilwolf as hosts of the contest

Signomi, may you please delete his entry. Thank you.

Signomi
December 20th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Deleted on your request, [ray.z].

Allstories
December 20th, 2006, 04:08 PM
;2320911']
Well, after much thought and some discussion, I've decided that Allstories' entry (http://www.pkmncommunity.com/showpost.php?p=2302530&postcount=2) is disqualified from the contest for the following two reasons:
Not having a Christmas theme
Antagonising myself and mazilwolf as hosts of the contestYou are unbelievable.

For the record, my entry HAS A CHRISTMAS TREE IN IT. You're disqualifying me solely out of spite, not because I broke some petty little rule that you never even put forward to begin with. You never even specifically said how utterly representative of Christmas our entries even had to be. Or that you are from a country whose perception of Christmas is the complete opposite to that of most of the world. Or that you have nerves of glass.

Amachi
December 20th, 2006, 04:23 PM
You are unbelievable.

For the record, my entry HAS A CHRISTMAS TREE IN IT. You're disqualifying me solely out of spite, not because I broke some petty little rule that you never even put forward to begin with. You never even specifically said how utterly representative of Christmas our entries even had to be. Or that you are from a country whose perception of Christmas is the complete opposite to that of most of the world. Or that you have nerves of glass.
1. It's a Fir, Spruce or Pine Tree. A Christmas tree has decorations. Think about it.
2. I never said it wasn't out of spite. But what do you expect. Turnabout is fair play right? You antagonised me, I antagonise you.

The Southern Hemisphere encompasses half of the globe. Moreover, many places in the Northern Hemisphere do not receive snowfall at Christmas.

I don't think most of the world experiences a "White Christmas", so your point is flawed, and moreover irrelevant to my decision.

Now, as I said in my post, I had given it much thought and discussion and was actually considering judging your entry in the contest. But, as I said, you antagonised me.

But you're free to re submit your entry - just make sure the appropriate corrections are made.

If you choose not to re-enter, then I hope you have a Merry Christmas.

beauty. proletariat
December 20th, 2006, 04:45 PM
uuh, and allstories one had refrence to santaclaus dying in the fire/chimeny... it was pretty gud.. shudnt hav been deleted.

Allstories
December 20th, 2006, 05:19 PM
;2321807']1. It's a Fir, Spruce or Pine Tree. A Christmas tree has decorations. Think about it.

Yeah, I sure do see a lot of random pine trees just sitting in people's houses.

']2. I never said it wasn't out of spite. But what do you expect. Turnabout is fair play right? You antagonised me, I antagonise you.

My entry was a begrudging acceptance of your rules that I disagree with. It wasn't because I thought you were being a nazi or something, although I certainly do NOW.

']The Southern Hemisphere encompasses half of the globe. Moreover, many places in the Northern Hemisphere do not receive snowfall at Christmas. I don't think most of the world experiences a "White Christmas", so your point is flawed, and moreover irrelevant to my decision.

Half of the globe does not necessitate half of the world's population. The southern hemisphere is more like 10% of the global population, and I'm betting this contest is relevant to an even smaller portion of that. My point is that quite a few people WOULD associate snowmen with Christmas, and that it seems kind of arrogant not to specify the amount of lenience and ethnocentrism you're bringing to the table.

Amachi
December 20th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Allstories. You are arrogant in all aspects of your argument and have failed to appeal. Enter a new entry in accordance with the rules, because your current entry will not get anywhere. That is my final say on the matter.

Allstories
December 20th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Oh, is that so? Elaborate, by all means, I implore you, but the point I'm trying to illustrate is that I didn't break any rules. My entry was bitter and sarcastic but I followed your guidelines. I wanted you to roll your eyes and chuckle at my entry, not turn into a hostile fruitcake and carry out some petty grudge against me.

beauty. proletariat
December 20th, 2006, 07:21 PM
allstories, just add christmas lights as the salamander says so, it will be much easier for both of u's... just stop argueing..

Allstories
December 20th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Would you tell Michelangelo to 'just' give David some underpants? There are PRINCIPLES at stake here!

Dragonfree
December 20th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Honestly, I don't see what's wrong with Allstories' entry. :/ I guess it wasn't particularly Christmas-themed, yeah, but I have a lot more respect for those who can laugh at themselves than those who can't. Whining that he's "antagonizing" you is just lame; it's a joke, addressing the rule itself more than it addresses you personally.

True, making snide jokes like that may not be the Christmas spirit you were looking for, but I don't think he deserved to be disqualified. You could have downgraded him on it if you felt really strongly about it, but it does have some association with Christmas whether you like it or not, and containing a joke that happens to be somewhat at your expense shouldn't make it less of a valid entry than any other.

Signomi
December 20th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Sorry [ray.z] but I quite agree with them for the most part. I personally don't believe Allstories deserved to be disqualified, those whom posted above practically stated my views. So I've nothing more to say here. I'd recommend reconsidering your decision though; mind you that this is not the moderator recommending that, the moderator wouldn't care what you would do, it's your friend, and I surely wouldn't want an even bigger argument to erupt at any time for you to deal with. Allstories' entry looked quite nicely done as well, it's a shame that it's to be put a side just because you dislike his attitude about it. No matter what, it still counts as an entry, which doesn't technically mean he's done anything wrong. :/

Samson
December 20th, 2006, 11:03 PM
that burning tree is hot stuff.