PDA

View Full Version : Walkthroughs: Good or Bad?

Kraka-chan
December 28th, 2006, 10:06 AM
And yes, I do mean computer game walkthroughs. Whether a book or online.

Whenever I play a game like Zelda or Final Fantasy, I tend to look through a walkthrough to see past the bits I'm stuck on. However, my sister doesn't like walkthroughs and would rather go through a game without one.

So I'm asking if anyone uses walthroughs for any game, and if anyone has a reason for or against them.

Esupio
December 28th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Depends on the game, if its an RPG type and I just need hints on beating a boss, I'll have a look.
I've use a walkthrough for Zelda: TP once cause I got really annoyed with the water dungeon.

TRIFORCE89
December 28th, 2006, 11:42 AM
For main adventures, no. When I feel like tracking down every little thing (which in itself is a rarity), then sometimes. Depends how long I was stuck on something for. Occasionally if I loose my sense of direction I'll look at a map if one isn't already provided in game.

Mudkip85
December 28th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Walkthroughs, are obviously written by people who have sadly completed the before you and created a step by step guide to complete the game your playing for yourself. Personally i really hate cheating and hardly ever resort to using cheats on a game, as it aids you in completing the game in an easier way. Walkthroughs to me is just another way of cheating for you to complete the game as it provides you with specific information on what exactly to do, to proceed through your game. Sure they are extremley useful but is it worth cheating? Why did you buy the game if someone else is going to complete it for you?

The only time i would happen to use a walkthrough would be when ive completed a game, then later on returned to it but forgotten how to get past a certain part of the game, but thats only if im really desperate.

~Kipper~

.Bastion
December 28th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Walkthroughs, are obviously written by people who have sadly completed the before you and created a step by step guide to complete the game your playing for yourself. Personally i really hate cheating and hardly ever resort to using cheats on a game, as it aids you in completing the game in an easier way. Walkthroughs to me is just another way of cheating for you to complete the game as it provides you with specific information on what exactly to do, to proceed through your game. Sure they are extremley useful but is it worth cheating? Why did you buy the game if someone else is going to complete it for you?

The only time i would happen to use a walkthrough would be when ive completed a game, then later on returned to it but forgotten how to get past a certain part of the game, but thats only if im really desperate.

~Kipper~

But some walkthroughs don't give a step by step run down of the game. The ones that give general tips I find the best because it's not really cheating yet it stell helps.

I do agree with you Mudkip. I don't really like walkthroughs that much because I do think it's a cheap way to make them easier, however I still use them if I ever get stuck on a boss. It can help so I can see what to do next. Actually alot of the times, walkthroughs don't even work for me because when I try it doesn't work. I take some things it says, keep it in mind, and eventually come up with my own way of beating it. This may just be with me, I don't know but I would have to say I do use walkthroughs I just don't like using them every step of the game.

Arcanine
December 28th, 2006, 07:49 PM
I have game guides just to have them. Like KH2 for example. The main reason why I got it wasn't "Where do I go now?" it was just to have and to look up some items.

Poké King
December 28th, 2006, 07:50 PM
I usually only use walkthroughs for big games like Zelda and so on. Mostly I will just play a game and if I get uber stuck I'll check a walkthrough.

Personally i really hate cheating and hardly ever resort to using cheats on a game, as it aids you in completing the game in an easier way. Walkthroughs to me is just another way of cheating for you to complete the game as it provides you with specific information on what exactly to do, to proceed through your game. Sure they are extremley useful but is it worth cheating? Why did you buy the game if someone else is going to complete it for you?

Are walthroughs cheating, technically yes but for the most part there a guide to help you like if you didn't know how to get somewhere you ask directions or go online at Yahoo Maps or something of that nature to get directions. Walkthroughs are meant to help you, ya it might be cheating to some extent but a lot of games need walkthroughs in order to get through them like games that are 50 + hours like Twilight Princess and what not. I mean ya you could play the game without a walkthrough but if you get stuck then you could be trying to get unstuck for hours on end which will just get you peeved and frustrated and games are supposed to not get you that way which is why people started making walthroughs in the first place which was to help fellow gamers so stuff like that doesn't happen. Plus for people who like to complete games 100% they need walkthroughs to know how to do so, an example of this is in Zelda games say you want to collect all the Heart Pieces but sometimes there are Heart Pieces that are super hidden and short of a miracle you wouldn't find them so then you go online get a walkthrough and boom you got the Heart Pieces you couldn't find. Plus even if a Heart Piece is visible you know how long and thorough you have to be while playing a game to notice every little thing. And who could enjoy a game when they have to pay super attention every second, no one that's who.

So ya using walkthroughs are cheating but hey any time you get anyone to help you in life its technically cheating so we are all cheaters either way unless you have never ever gotten help by any one ever in your life which is impossible because at the very least you got help from your Mommy when she pushed you out of her.

Aether
December 28th, 2006, 08:05 PM
i use walkthroughs for but 2 game franchises, pokemon and zelda. Pokemon, to see if there are any rare pokemon i missed, Zelda to beat the really hard puzzles ;)

TRIFORCE89
December 28th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I don't consider using a walkthrough as cheating. Or at least on the kind of game. You may be told how to get the next Power Star in Super Mario 64, but the question remains are you skilled enough to actually walk across that skinny plank of wood to grab it?

I also use guides for bestiaries (Zelda figurine lists, Pokedex, etc)

Cherrim
December 28th, 2006, 09:22 PM
I only use walkthroughs for perfection. For example, I'll RARELY check one for mandatory plot events, since I hate being spoilt for what to do next, but if I'm doing sidequests or trying to get 100% completion in something, or just want a reference for items, techniques, etc. I'll check a guide.

More often than not, I'll beat a game merely for completion, and then I'll go back and play it again using a guide to get everything 100%. o.o

Forci Stikane
December 29th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Depends on the situation. I use walkthroughs for the really specific side-quests that I can't remember (like the numbers to open the safe in FFVII), but as for where to go next in the main story, I tend to stay away from them. I say "tend to" because I've used them once or twice on games with no clues that I can find whatsoever, so that I was completely lost (ZELDA), but nothing where I could figure it out myself.

So, what I'm saying is, walkthroughs are okay as a crutch if you really need it, but not okay to play the whole game by.

Morkula
December 29th, 2006, 07:13 AM
I have walkthroughs/strategy guides, but I only use them when I'm either REALLY stuck on part of a game, or if there's an item or something that I need to know where I can get. A lot of times I have guides just for the character databases and item lists and stuff.

Sammi
December 29th, 2006, 07:41 AM
I use walkthroughs sometimes these days... It depends on the game and how stuck I get. (I only use electronic though, because I'm cheap like that XD;; )

For instance, I have Tales of the Abyss and FFX. For Abyss, I don't use a walkthough; there was only one time I my brother had to go on the Internet for something, and that was for finding a town. Everything else has been easy enough for me to go though without any outside aid. FFX, however... I can't remember exactly, but I'd probably gotten stuck *somewhere* (most likely a boss) and bookmarked a walkthough for it.
Admittedly, if I have one, I do look ahead to see what's going to happen, mainly for bosses. But meh... for some reason, the ones I find are mainly spoiler-free; the only real spoilers are the names of bosses.

As for good or bad? I don't see the problem with them. Some people are going to need help, and a basic one will help them without getting them frustrated.
And if a person wants to play the whole game with one, let them. It's their choice, and they might actually enjoy their game more that way.

Nuke
December 29th, 2006, 07:43 AM
not really.

as I get further through TP I might need it though. (Although it actually seems unlikely I'll get further in the next few days I am terrible at it)

Pazuzu
December 29th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Walkthroughs are a goodness. XD
I only use them if I really have no clue how to get further in a game, and only if I have tried several things on my own already.

Though they can spoil a good bit of the game, so reading further than the bit you need might not be a good idea. :x

Gunn
December 29th, 2006, 07:55 PM
The way I see it, walkthroughs are bad and I feel a little ashamed of myself if I use one. It spoils the game for me and I know that once I use it, I'll end up going back for more "help." But I know, if I do ever get stuck, I will always eventually find my way.

Abby
December 29th, 2006, 09:06 PM
For main adventures, no. When I feel like tracking down every little thing (which in itself is a rarity), then sometimes. Depends how long I was stuck on something for. Occasionally if I loose my sense of direction I'll look at a map if one isn't already provided in game.

Someday, you'll have a 20-shelled heart game in OoT. Someday. :x

As for me, I feel pretty much the same way as everyone else. I only use them for optional stuff which is so esoteric or complex that it almost requires a guide. I have used one on FFXII a number of times, just because I didn't want to waste a bunch of time figuring out that I had to walk through Chocobo tracks or equip a certain item to proceed, for instance. >_>

TRIFORCE89
December 29th, 2006, 10:57 PM
During one of my playthroughs of OoT I did get everything but one Golden Skulltula Token. I do it (or attempt to) at least once. Although playthroughs are for story and speed.

Abby
December 29th, 2006, 11:12 PM
During one of my playthroughs of OoT I did get everything but one Golden Skulltula Token. I do it (or attempt to) at least once. Although playthroughs are for story and speed.

Well, if there was ever a sidequest that need a walkthrough, it'd be getting all of the heart pieces in TWW. o_o That was ridiculous; no one could be expected to do that without a guide. I couldn't even do it with one ;;

TRIFORCE89
December 30th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Okay...I tried it most games. Definitely not TWW. Too tedious and annoying. OoT - yes. MM - yes. TP - going to (my brother did, so now so shall I. He hasn't beaten the actual game yet though)

Mario The World Champion
December 30th, 2006, 09:29 PM
I tend to use walkthroughs for a few reasons. The one big reason is to help me get back on the right track in certain points of the game mainly because I'm stuck on a chokepoint, I wandered off while trying to kill an enemy, I need that item or a boss beat the living hell out of me in less than 5 seconds.

Or in other words, I use then whenever I am 100% stuck and need a pointer or two to help me get out of there.

Garouga! Bare Your Fangs!
December 31st, 2006, 01:50 AM
I have used walkthroughs on very few occasions, such as after I took a 4 year break from OoT when I was stuck inside Lord Jabu-Jabu. I took a small peek at how to progress, but didn't rely on the guide for the game. The way I see it, they ruin the surprise if you use them all the time.

Kraka-chan
December 31st, 2006, 05:28 AM
Has anyone considered that a walkthrough might spoil the ending and any other important parts in a game? (Example:You get to fight Ganon at the end! Wow!)

But there are a few game guides (like FFX-2) that keep the suspence by not revealing the boss or the character.