PDA

View Full Version : One-Shot, Yea or Nay?

Alana
January 3rd, 2007, 11:00 PM
Ok, I have done something I've never done before. I've written something and now I don't know whether to let it stay as is and make it into a one-shot or continue it into a story. Although it could easily be longer, it's also perfectly fine as a one-shot. (In my opinion at least, sort of.) Due the fact that posting it would seem kind of silly, I'll just PM it to anyone who wants to lend me some advice. It's a sequel to Mystery Dungeon that's been bothering me for a while and when an idea like that starts nagging me I know it'll eventually be typed up. If I don't type it up it bothers me for ages before eventually fading away and then I regret not typing it up because I really want to. It's how most of my fics end up getting started. ^^;

So...yeah, got a bit off topic there I think. My request, someone please look over it and tell me if making it a one-shot would be ok or if it needs to be continued.

Alter Ego
January 4th, 2007, 01:41 AM
Eh, an essential part of style is avoiding redundant length. If you think you've got it compressed nicely enough to make a one-shot then by all means do so. =D If you change your mind later on and want to continue you can always make a chaptered fanfic that refers to (and briefly recounts the key points of) the one-shot and it will work just as well. I don't know what could be silly about posting it (The silly thing would be not to, really) but by all means, PM the fic to me and I'll see what I can do. That is, if my advice is good enough for ya'. ^^

SBaby
January 16th, 2007, 12:59 AM
It's really up to you, but as the old saying goes, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Don't artificially inflate your Fic if it works better as a one-shot.

BUT... Using that one-shot as a single idea for an even larger Fic sometimes works.