PDA

View Full Version : How could a Pokémon use a TM/HM IRL ??

Auron
January 5th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Well, I guess this is posted in the right place...

You know, in Pokémon games we can see that TMs and HMs look like CDs, but...In real life, how could they use them ?? I mean...Well....It's like a CD....What could it do ?? Eat it ?? Open its head, put in the TM and use the Autorun feature or running InstallShield ?? It's a PDF manual for trainers for how to teach that attack ??

I don't know if TMs/HMs appear in the anime or the manga, but...If they appear, how they use them ?? I am really interested at this fact...

jasonresno
January 5th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Hm, interesting, I would imagine in the anime (now I am not sure if they have ever been mentioned) that TM/HM's would be non existant. Basically you would just train your Pokemon to learn the techniques that you would need a TM/HM for.

Nuke
January 5th, 2007, 08:23 AM
maybe it shows a video of the techique for the poke to copy off.

J
January 5th, 2007, 08:36 AM
According to FR/LG, you stick the TM ROM (>_>) to the Pokemon's head, and BOOM! FLASHES OF LIGHTS! They learn it.

MrDreavus
January 5th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Maybe they eat it? I eat my CDs all the time.
-silence-
Okay, forget I said that.

Alter Ego
January 5th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Meh, judging by the FR/LG graphics I'd say that you've got this little thingamajig you put the TM/HM in and then the thingamajig transfers the information within that TM/HM into the pokémon's mind, thus rooting in the knowledge of the move. Of course it's pretty much sci-fi stuff, but hey, we're talking about a world where living beings can be sent back and forth as data so I don't think it's too far-fetched. xD

Following this, a TM would be a one-shot because it's a direct transfer of the data whereas a HM creates a copy of it instead (Thus preserving the original date for repeated use). I'd imagine that the majority of the moves would be TMized for purely commercial reasons, either because a system of copying would be more expensive than one of simple transfer or because they want repeat customers. xD

Otter Mii-kun
January 5th, 2007, 02:46 PM
I once thought TMs and HMs were just a set of instructions written on a piece of paper (or an instruction booklet) to lecture out to your Pokemon...

Shadow
January 5th, 2007, 05:32 PM
I once thought TMs and HMs were just a set of instructions written on a piece of paper (or an instruction booklet) to lecture out to your Pokemon...

In recent games, where items have graphics, TMs and HMs are shown as CD-ROMs with different colors, relating to the type of move taught (like a red disc for a fire move).

My guess is some science fiction, using some outside machine (perhaps an unmentioned Pokedex/Pokenav/etc. feature) which sends the data to the Pokemon's brain. The in-game text does say "Booted up a TM." Or maybe just a video/hologram that shows the Pokemon. Still, why TMs can only be used once with these methods are unknown to me (unless they truly are eaten, which wouldn't be doubted with some Pokemon like Gulpin...).

Captain Arcane
January 5th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I though it was pretty dumb how they made them look like CDs. I don't even have a good idea for a new look for TMs and HMs, but I wish they would change that.

What if the disk is scratched when you try to teach it to your Pokemon?
Does your Pokemon start skiping and messing up.

Or what if it isn't a real TM/HM, what if some guy told you to give it to your Pokemon and when you did, your Pokemon got a virus. ;)

I think they just should of made them different, its like your Pokemon a computer.

"WHERE IN THE WORLD IS THE STAR BUTTON!? Oh, there it is. (pushes Pikachu's belly button) CHZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. XD

Legendary Squirtle
January 5th, 2007, 09:54 PM
I think you putting on the pokemon head and a flash of light happeneds. Then after it done learning the move the TM cracks up and becomes unuseable.

Bomberman
January 6th, 2007, 08:26 AM
In the manga, I remember a TM being a box opened around a Pokemon's head...

Kotowari
January 6th, 2007, 09:26 AM
I have no idea, but in the anime Ash teaches his Pikachu how to use Iron Tail.
Since Pikachu doesn't learn the attack at leveling up, I guess that would be a TM, right?
So maybe if the trainer wants his Pokemon to learn a TM, he needs to do everything to make the pokemon prepaired for the attack.

Ichigo Flash
January 6th, 2007, 12:01 PM
I don't think they exist in the anime. If they did it'd be something to do with a slot in the Pokedex or something like that.

Auron
January 24th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Gee, this is really weird. But I'm interested in what happened in the Manga...xD

Red1530
January 24th, 2007, 10:29 AM
I think TM and HM colored cookies that the Pokémon eat to help learn the move.

Death Rogers
January 24th, 2007, 02:18 PM
I have some theories to this.

Theory #1
The CD is placed on the Pokemon's head and senses brainwaves to activate it. It sends information into the Pokemon's brain so the Pokemon could learn the move.

Theory #2
The CD is an instuction manual to be put in some kind of device that has instructions to teach your Pokemon the move.

Theory #3
The CD is put in a device that sends beams of light into the Pokemon's eyes. The beams contain subliminal messages that teach your Pokemon the move.

Theory #4
The CD is put in a device that emits soundwaves only Pokemon can hear. The soundwaves contain subliminal messages that teahc your Pokemon the move.

I think theory #1 is most likely to be true.

Drifblim
January 24th, 2007, 07:53 PM
I personally believe the TM isn't an orthodox CD, but a component of a brain capacitor that you can attach to the Pokémon's head. You pop the disc into its respective berth and turn on the capacitor, and the capacitor converts the tracks on the disc into shock waves that are picked up by the brain, stimulating neural activity. Shortly the thought process will be modified and such a move will become capable as if it had learnt it by nature.

Of course, the FCC would have to have a say in this. Part 15 would kill.

Auron
January 31st, 2007, 09:44 AM
Yeah! Those theories about shockwaves and brainwaves are really interesting. Thanks ^^

*~Hazel~*
February 4th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Well, in the Manga, an Eevee is taught Mimic by using a TM. =] Ash simply opens the box and places both sides over the Eevee's head. There are little sparkles and then, Eevee knows mimic! =D

In the game, the CD is simply placed on the Pokemon's head and the Pokemon absorbs it somehow. I still believe in the Manga version, only that the CD is stuck in a device similar to the box in the Manga, then opened above the Pokemon's head, the TM is learned, then the CD is discarded, the box is put back together and is reusable. =)

omarfr
February 4th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Before FR and LG I always thought they were pills :)

I suppose the pokedex can be strapped around a pokemons head and then your insert the disc. It feeds them the knowlege to use the attack. The reason you can only use them once is the disc burns out or something.

KKN
February 4th, 2007, 12:12 PM
I don't know for sure about this myself, but I do know that TMs are boxes in the TCG.
Darkness Cube 01 (TM) (http://pokemon.tcgplayer.com/tcg/scans/aquapolis/119darkness_cube_01.jpg)

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
February 11th, 2007, 06:44 AM
I think its some type of chip and the Pokemon eat it

:t354:~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~

Virtual Headache
February 12th, 2007, 08:13 AM
I have no idea, but in the anime Ash teaches his Pikachu how to use Iron Tail.
Since Pikachu doesn't learn the attack at leveling up, I guess that would be a TM, right?
So maybe if the trainer wants his Pokemon to learn a TM, he needs to do everything to make the pokemon prepaired for the attack.
Yeah, it was a TM.
So I think they'd learn TMs the same way they learn it in the animé, by focusing on training to learn the TM move, not by a disc without any traning which would look quite illogical to me.
I think the CDs in the games are just there, since there is a pic of every item when you look into your bag in newer games, so TMs needed one too.

Shiny Umbreon
February 13th, 2007, 09:41 PM
I once saw a comic where a robot-like thing came out of the TM and did the attack so the Pokémon would learn.

I think it somehow sends signals to the Pokémon's brains, and then...they break? Maybe, but then how would HMs work? Are they more resistant CDs?

Frostweaver
February 14th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Pretty sure that TM is only a gaming mechanics, and not something to be treated seriously if it's in real life situations. Since you can't "train" a Pokemon except by battling like a real trainer ideally will, the game resorts to using items to teach a move. In reality, it's probably like what's mentioned with Ash and Pikachu's Iron Tail. You'll have to train for the move through practice until it's mastered. If a move is not in a movepool, then no matter how you try to teach it, the Pokemon will fail to learn it.

This is also supported by Misty's (failed) attempt at teaching Togepi Headbutt (old GSC TM), by doing a demo of smashing her head to a little wooden block in hopes that Togepi will mimic her and practice that motion enough to call it a headbutt.

Auron
February 14th, 2007, 11:00 AM
What a strange Trading Card...That TM looks like a weird TV...

Chibi Pika
February 15th, 2007, 06:32 AM
TMs come in a case. You push a button and the TM spins in the case. Hold it near the desired Pokémon, and it gives off an energy signal, causing a reaction in the Pokémon that allows it to use the new move.

~Chibi~