PDA

View Full Version : Discussion about NoE, NoA, and NoJ

flight
January 10th, 2007, 02:37 AM
As we all know, the purpose of this thread is to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of Nintendo of Europe. No offense to those of you who live in England, since the Nintendo there are freaking lazy and you have to wait a VERY long time for your games to come. D;

As for NoJ(Nintendo of Japan), I hear the people in Australia get the games exactly how they wanted it. This is the only advantage they have over NoA(Nintendo of America) or so I hear.

NoA's disadvantage is the crappy translation teams and the delays. Of course, the handheld translation division is the worst, by far. Other than that, NoA is quite decent.

Hiroshi Sotomura
January 10th, 2007, 02:39 AM
Moved >>> | This is Other Games material, Derk. :<

flight
January 10th, 2007, 02:40 AM
Moved >>> | This is Other Games material, Derk. :<

Well..again, I got sorta confused. XD

Anyway, let the discussion begin!

wakachamo
January 10th, 2007, 05:04 AM
And don't forget waka who is also being affected by NoE's retardedness. D:

TRIFORCE89
January 10th, 2007, 12:05 PM
In the olden days NoA's translations were horrendous. Things picked up during the N64 era, particularly with OoT. NoA has done a mighty fine job since the GBA/GCN era. Some may not appreciate the cultural changes, but I think it's better that way. Why use a saying that we are not familiar with? I see nothing wrong with adapting the script and humour for western audiences (Mario & Luigi RPG is a perfect example of how this can work to a game's advantage), just as long as the translation is accurate and the script's meaning or the point of the plot is not altered.

NoA is also great at working along side NoJ. For instance, the text for TP was translated to English as the Japanese script was being written. Both groups work keep in touch with each other. Whenever NoJ changed something, NoA was informed immediately. This allowed for a timely release. Companies like Square should take note.

Some games from NoE such as Animal Crossing take forever due to the large amount of text. They have to translate for all the different languages, not just European English. If every European country had their own Nintendo division instead of just NoE, there may not be this problem.

Hiroshi Sotomura
January 10th, 2007, 03:21 PM
In the olden days NoA's translations were horrendous. Things picked up during the N64 era, particularly with OoT. NoA has done a mighty fine job since the GBA/GCN era. Some may not appreciate the cultural changes, but I think it's better that way. Why use a saying that we are not familiar with? I see nothing wrong with adapting the script and humour for western audiences (Mario & Luigi RPG is a perfect example of how this can work to a game's advantage), just as long as the translation is accurate and the script's meaning or the point of the plot is not altered.

NoA is also great at working along side NoJ. For instance, the text for TP was translated to English as the Japanese script was being written. Both groups work keep in touch with each other. Whenever NoJ changed something, NoA was informed immediately. This allowed for a timely release. Companies like Square should take note.

Some games from NoE such as Animal Crossing take forever due to the large amount of text. They have to translate for all the different languages, not just European English. If every European country had their own Nintendo division instead of just NoE, there may not be this problem.
It does not address how Game Boy Advance games came out though, Triffy. Unless they sported a language selection dialog box when the game was booted up, I'm led to believe the games would be untouched (with some code removed or redone) when they ship in Europe. Or any English countries within that.

That said, Nintendo of America's translation teams are pretty much okay. (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, for instance, retained a lot of the remarks from the characters.)