PDA

View Full Version : [Tutorial] Tileset Editing (R/S/E/FR/LG)

Alistair
February 8th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Okay, there are many ways in which you can edit a tileset. I will explain three.

For those looking to edit pallettes, this tutorial does not teach you how. Look somewhere else for a tutorial that teaches you how to do that.
.: 1 - AdvanceMap :.
Note: This way produces a lot more errors than the latter.

~Step One~
Make sure you have everything ready. You will need AdvanceMap, the ROM of your choice, and a paint program.

~Step Two~
Open the ROM in AdvanceMap, go to the map that has the tileset you want to edit, and go to the block editor.

~Step Three~
While in the block editor, choose the pallette of the building you want to insert.

~Step Four~
While still in the block editor, go to Picture (It is in the upper-left corner). While there, go to Save Tileset 1 or 2 (Depending on which one you want to edit).

~Step Five~
Open the tileset you just saved. Insert the building, and use the eyedropper tool to make sure the tile has the correct colors. It is very importanat thet the colors are correct. Now, save the tileset.

~Step Six~
In the AdvanceMap block editor, go to Picture. Go to Load Tileset 1/2 (Depending on which on which one you saved and edited). The new tileset should appear. If not, go to Pictures, then to Reload Blocks.

~Step Seven~
Edit the blocks. Also, if needed, fix the map footer. There! Your done!

.: 2 - TileLayer Pro :.
This is the safest, but hardest way to edit tiles.

~Step One~
Make sure you have everything ready. You will need unLZ-GBA, the ROM of your choice, guide tiles, and TileLayer Pro.

~Step Two~
Open the ROM with unLZ. Open the tileset. (To do this, you may need to run a Deep Scan)

~Step Three~
Go to File, then go to Raw Dump. When it says Save As, click on the down arrow where it says RAW, and select All files. Save it as X.gba, where X is a different name than the ROM (It is important that you save it as a .gba file. That way, TLP recognizes it.)

~Step Four~
Open the new raw dump (X.gba). Also, open Paint with the tile you want to edit, and find a guide tile (Or tiles).

~Step Five~
Edit the tiles, then save as X.raw. Open unLZ, then go to the tileset. Go to Load Raw and choose X.raw. When the check boxes appear, check all of them except Abort If Data Is Bigger. There! Your done!

.: 3 - unLZ and Paint :.

~Step One~
Make sure you have everything ready. You will need unLZ-GBA, the ROM of your choice, guide tiles, and Paint.

~Step Two~
Open the ROM with unLZ. Open the tileset. (To do this, you may need to run a Deep Scan)

~Step Three~
Find the correct pallette (If you cannot find the correct pallette of the tile you want to replace, then find a 16-color pallette. You will need to use a guide tile for this). Click on Save As...

~Step Four~
Open the tileset in Paint. Then insert the tile, making sure it is properly alligned with the other tiles. Then use the eydropper tool to make sure it has the right colors. Then save the tileset.

~Step Five~
In unLZ, go to the tileset. Make sure the pallette is the same as when you saved the tileset. Then click on import. There! Your done!

.: Notes :.

~Due to differences in ROM dumps, I just generalized instead of giving specific Goto numbers and Pallette numbers.

~A guide tile is a tile that shows what the colors of TLP are in-game. For example, if replacing a mountain tile, you would use the pre-existing mountain tile to guide what colors you would need to insert the new tile as.

.houndoomed
February 8th, 2007, 12:51 PM
It works, but when I open the tileset up to edit it, everything's a weird color and mixed up..

I'm using Advance Map by the way.

Alistair
February 8th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Could you upload the picture? Also, did you make sure to save it as a DIB?

.houndoomed
February 8th, 2007, 01:01 PM
http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/8739/tttpj9.png (http://imageshack.us)

Yeah, I did save it as DIB.

Alistair
February 8th, 2007, 01:12 PM
That is normal. The block editor was set to pallette 0, which is the greenery pallette. If you wanted to edit something else in a different pallette, than you will need to change the pallette to the correct one.

.houndoomed
February 8th, 2007, 01:15 PM
That is normal. The block editor was set to pallette 0, which is the greenery pallette. If you wanted to edit something else in a different pallette, than you will need to change the pallette to the correct one.

I understand now, thanks :D

D-Trogh
February 9th, 2007, 11:52 AM
A pallete editing tutorial would be nice.. I know how to change palletes..
Well.. I used to, I forgot (Damn.. I really need to start hacking again)
But editing the Tileset palletes just looks more complicated :-\

foofatron
February 11th, 2007, 02:10 PM
When I try to load this in advanced map it says palatete not found what does that mean?

Alistair
February 11th, 2007, 03:06 PM
You are trying to add more colors than there are in the pallette, which is not possible.

foofatron
February 11th, 2007, 04:09 PM
I made a new one with the eye droper and still says mising pallette.Look

zak
February 11th, 2007, 05:15 PM
a quik question

see the main tileset for ruby , wen you edit it and change the size you cant re-insert it bcoz its bigger, is there anyway you can insert it wen it is bigger? or you gota keep it the same size?

Alistair
February 11th, 2007, 05:18 PM
No, it is the correct size. I have no clue what is wrong.

$_$
February 15th, 2007, 08:39 PM
But how do you edit the pleate. (I spelled that wrong.)

ash2000
February 15th, 2007, 08:57 PM
how come for some other games the tilesets are diferent.

Alistair
February 16th, 2007, 05:02 PM
@ $_$: This is a tileset editing tutorial, not a pallette editing tutorial.

@ Ash2000: There are many different dumps and each dump has the raq data arranged differently.

Hedgehogger
February 21st, 2007, 05:10 PM
Nice tutorial here; I just edited the grass tiles to my own customs, but, how do you edit the frames of a moving tile (Like when you step through grass, flowers, etc.) because the old grass appears when stepped through.

Swimmer♂
March 1st, 2007, 11:06 AM
I am completely lost :S i wanted to edit the sootopolis tileset so i went to picture and the save tileset 2 but it only saved a tiny section of the tileset! plz help cos i really dunno wots going on!!
Thanks in advance!

Alistair
March 1st, 2007, 12:08 PM
@ Hedghogger: I do not know how to do that, but I imagine you find it in unLZ.gba. (If you do, follow thw steps for the TLP Tileset editing tutorial)

@Speedonh: Did you try enlarging the tileset, and/or did you try to insert tiles with the wrong pallette?

marz
March 2nd, 2007, 07:19 AM
So, there's no way to do this without needing to re-color the tiles you want to insert to match the palette, right? If so, that's gonna be hard.

EDIT: Don, how come when I put in the tile, it just looks like this on AdvanceMap's Tile Editor: http://img02.picoodle.com/img/img02/7/3/2/f_TileSetEditm_ba5e747.png

Swimmer♂
March 2nd, 2007, 08:32 AM
@Speedonh: Did you try enlarging the tileset, and/or did you try to insert tiles with the wrong pallette?
How do you enlarge the tileset and btw i was trying to export the tileset for editing not import it. also i have the same problem for the 2nd tilesets on any map, so, can you help me plz?
Thankyou

Christos
March 2nd, 2007, 08:59 AM
So, there's no way to do this without needing to re-color the tiles you want to insert to match the palette, right? If so, that's gonna be hard.

EDIT: Don, how come when I put in the tile, it just looks like this on AdvanceMap's Tile Editor: http://img02.picoodle.com/img/img02/7/3/2/f_TileSetEditm_ba5e747.png

The tile's colors don't match with the palette's.

Alistair
March 2nd, 2007, 12:03 PM
@Speedonh: Hmmm... If you just put tiles on the sheet (Tiled properly, I might add), it should turn up (And make sure to make them the proper pallette).

@Marz: Christos answered it for me. (I still sent you a PM, though)

Swimmer♂
March 2nd, 2007, 12:56 PM
@Speedonh: Hmmm... If you just put tiles on the sheet (Tiled properly, I might add), it should turn up how do i put the tiles on a sheet an tile them properly? sorry if i'm being a pain but i really want to learn how to "tile" btw thanks for your help so far!
Thankyou

Alistair
March 2nd, 2007, 02:59 PM
What I mean by that is place the tiles on the sheet so they properly appear in AM. The tiles are 8x8 pixels. So, in oreder to tile properly, you need to figure out where the tiles need to go so they appear correctly in AM.

Swimmer♂
March 3rd, 2007, 12:09 AM
What I mean by that is place the tiles on the sheet so they properly appear in AM. The tiles are 8x8 pixels. So, in oreder to tile properly, you need to figure out where the tiles need to go so they appear correctly in AM.
but how do i put the tiles on a sheet if i can't save the tileset that i want to edit? i think what may also be another problem is that i downloaded a tileset (not to use but to look at) and now every time i go into block editor that tileset appears on the right along with the messed up sootopolis set i posted earlier. also every time i try to save tileset 0 (the standard one) i get a DIB of the tileset that i downloaded instead. plz help and i'm really sorry if i'm getting annoying. thanks for all your help so far and beyond!
Thanks
-Speedo_nh-

Alistair
March 3rd, 2007, 03:23 AM
See, the DIB file is the file you are supposed to edit. Have you just been inserting the tileset the way you downloaded it?

Swimmer♂
March 3rd, 2007, 04:01 AM
See, the DIB file is the file you are supposed to edit. Have you just been inserting the tileset the way you downloaded it?
No, i don't want to use the tileset i downloaded, i just wanted to look at it, but now every time i go into block editor it appears on the right. so everytime i try to save the the first tileset i get the tileset i downloaded (which i don't want) and every time i try to save the second tileset, i only get a part of it (like the sootopolis tileset), can u help me out plz, i appreciate greatly your help so far.
Thanks

*EDIT*
Hoorah i figured out the problem, the tilest on the right was the right tileset after all (which is kind of embarrassing) bcos i found the same one in unLZ! but i wud still like to know how to export the compltete sootopolis tileset and not just a tiny section (if i haven't been enough trouble already) thanks for everything and the tut is great!
Thanks!
-Speedo_nh-

*EDIT #2*
I now know that the sootopolis tileset was the entire tileset, as i get the same thing for every other tileset. also after eons of searching i have managed to edit the grass animation. now i am faced with a new problem, i have changed the pallete of the water (from the usual water to pallete 0) changed the tiles so the colours are good and reinserted it with no problems. it appears fine in advancemap with the tiles just how i want them, however, when i test in VBA the colour of the water has changed to a darker colour instead of lighter one and some other water colours are messed up. i went into tile viewer on vba and sure enough all the colours were strange, but the tileset wasn't exactly the same as the one in advance map. so, i would like to know: have i inserted the tileset wrong or is it something to do with the water animation (which i have not changed and do not know the offset for)? Plz help because i'm sooooo close now to finishing off my tileset!
thankyou kindly!

These are the water tiles i made

This is what shows up in VBA

mamudi
March 15th, 2007, 12:05 PM
i read all the posts and i followed your insrtructions but still failed.
how do i change the regular pokemon center to this one

ShadowScizor
March 18th, 2007, 12:25 PM
But how do you add another tileset within it? for example, you were hacking sapphire and was going to add fr/lg/e tiles.

Hedgehogger
March 18th, 2007, 03:09 PM
I don't think that's possible. The most you can do is only replace existing tiles.

Swimmer♂
March 19th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Okay, i've got my water sorted and all my tiles are looking nice (if i do say so myself XD) but i was just wondering, is it possible to insert a new tileset without replacing old ones, bcos i believe i read it somewhere, but have completely forgotten......
thnx

Alistair
March 19th, 2007, 11:35 AM
No, you can not just insert a new tileset. The new one has to replace old ones.

ShadowScizor
March 19th, 2007, 12:43 PM
When I inserted the Emerald tiles into my hack, some different colored lines were in the tiles.

Alistair
March 19th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Are you sure you used the exact colors of the pallette?

ShadowScizor
March 25th, 2007, 08:44 AM
I believe so.. But even the some of the water is not the right color..

foofatron
March 25th, 2007, 09:14 AM
you have expand your rom and tiles.You should get a clean rom now.Or fix it but it will lily go over 16mb.

Christos
March 25th, 2007, 10:07 AM
I believe so.. But even the some of the water is not the right color..

Don't import the tileset with palette 0, any palette than that will work.

ShadowScizor
March 26th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Okay. but now when i try to insert fr/lg tiles into it, it looks all scratched up..

jonicito
April 11th, 2007, 02:26 PM
In r\s\e, Use the pallete 1, 2, and 3. I'm not sure about 5. 0, 4 and sometimes other palettes messes up because it has a same color. If you want to know, look at pallette section in VBA. frlg haven't been discovered yet. When I put tileset in unlz gba, the pallete changed 0, and 1. (I check it on advance map).

foullump
April 28th, 2007, 04:03 PM
I have the same problem as ShadowScizor:
When I try to insert FR\LG tiles, they're all scratched and ugly.
How do I fix that?

Mr. Chess
April 28th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Same problem here.

Also, and this is probably a stupid question, but method two says to go to File, then Raw Dump, right? Well, there's no Raw Dump option in there. Is it just my copy of unLZ-GBA , or did Don just make a mistake?

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out.

shadowboy166
May 23rd, 2007, 12:03 PM
Hi how can you get grass or any other floor tile behind a building? do you have to draw it or something?

foullump
May 29th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Hi how can you get grass or any other floor tile behind a building? do you have to draw it or something?

use the advance map block editor.

shadowboy166
June 9th, 2007, 01:49 PM
use the advance map block editor.

I dont meen like that i meen how do i get green grass behind a pokecenter with a red roof or something! There completly differnt pallets!
Thanks in advance whoever gives me the best explanation

Edit: NVM i found out now =P i can't believe I was so dumb not to know

the3rdhardyboy
June 15th, 2007, 02:54 AM
how do i run a deep scan?

spbot
June 16th, 2007, 02:28 PM
can someone tell me the unlz gba tileset number on fire red

Shadow-Soul
July 1st, 2007, 09:58 AM
i want to add new tilesets and replace old one how do i do that it says palatte is missing? please help

Zanacross
July 15th, 2007, 01:02 AM
ive got a video tut but i cant post it its on youtube search
for leeosn13
you should find it

Singe
August 3rd, 2007, 11:39 AM
I want to change the NES to the wii, in fire red. it goes well until I have to load it. It won't let me do it. There is no link on the picture thing.

notsocoolxp
August 22nd, 2007, 06:23 AM
When i put in my building it turns into a green silhouette of the original.

Deokishisu
August 22nd, 2007, 07:21 AM
When i put in my building it turns into a green silhouette of the original.

Make sure your building shares the same pallete as the rest of the tileset. If your building's red, you'll have to change the red in your tile, to the red on the game's pallete. If part of your building's blue, you'll have to change the tile's blue into the game's blue. It's basically just recoloring your tile with the colors of an ingame pallete.

Dr.Razor
August 24th, 2007, 10:31 AM
HOw change the pallette of a tileset?
Because when i insert my custom tiles there is strange green and i want to change the pallette.
Thank you.

SilverPlatinum
August 26th, 2007, 01:47 PM
thank for this tutorial its good

Milanor
September 12th, 2007, 07:20 AM
@Дон Пач:
nice Tut

@Headgehogger:
Nice tutorial here; I just edited the grass tiles to my own customs, but, how do you edit the frames of a moving tile (Like when you step through grass, flowers, etc.) because the old grass appears when stepped through.
I dont know if you already found it, but de animation frames are uncomprezd in the rom, that means that you can find it with TileMolester or TLP or a other Tile Viewer.

MHERO
September 16th, 2007, 03:43 AM
Nice tutorial.

My problem:

I wanted to replace the tilesets of ruby with firered ones. So I opened Firered with unLZ GBA and opened the tileset (by the way is 3494). I made RawDump and then opened ruby in unLZ GBA and its tileset and imported the raw of firered and saved like is said in this tutorial. Then, I opened Firered with A-map, and exported the tileset 1 Blocks. Then opened ruby and imported the tileset 1 blocks of firered. I have the right blocks and tileset, but the right pallet. So, I tried to use A-pallet editor. I opened Firered with unLZ GBA and opened the tileset again and noted the pallet number. Then opened fired in A-pallet editor and loaded the number I noted before. I exported the pallet and then opened ruby in unLZ GBA and noted the pallet number. Next, I opened ruby in a-pallet editor, load the ruby tileset pallet number and import and replace the pallet i exported from firered. It didn't work. What am I doing wrong?

i know this isn't a pallet editing tutorial, but I hope somebody could help me. Thank you.

Milanor
September 16th, 2007, 05:34 AM
@MHERO:Easy Problem, in Ruby you have about 20 Matches searching the Palette from the Main Tileset, that means you have to find the right one.

MHERO
September 17th, 2007, 01:23 PM
@MHERO:Easy Problem, in Ruby you have about 20 Matches searching the Palette from the Main Tileset, that means you have to find the right one.

I have done what you have said with the following pallet (attachments).

But still the problem continuous. I'm doing something wrong?

Alistair
September 19th, 2007, 11:01 AM
The pallette is probably off by just a little. If I were you, I would just import it the A-Map way (but first use APE to modify the the pallette so all you have to do is import it).

Rizzo
December 8th, 2007, 07:58 AM
When I go to fallabour town, wild pokemon view, I clicked on "create new pokemon", did everything there. But when I picked the the pokemon, it came up with a few ?s. How do I insert pokemon into that?

Posted by Rizzo

0m3ga_S1nn3r
January 16th, 2008, 04:36 PM
HELP! O.K well when i add the grass tile it looks like this -

But in game its just a green square..... How do i fix this?

/Circa
January 16th, 2008, 04:47 PM
When I go to fallabour town, wild pokemon view, I clicked on "create new pokemon", did everything there. But when I picked the the pokemon, it came up with a few ?s. How do I insert pokemon into that?

Posted by Rizzo

You go to the drop down menu and click a Pokemon to find, but I don't think you need grass in towns ...

HELP! O.K well when i add the grass tile it looks like this -

But in game its just a green square..... How do i fix this?

First of all, it's saved as a jpg and second, you probably didn't use the eyedropper for the colours because I can tell it's a bit too bright..

0m3ga_S1nn3r
January 16th, 2008, 04:49 PM
You go to the drop down menu and click a Pokemon to find, but I don't think you need grass in towns ...

First of all, it's saved as a jpg and second, you probably didn't use the eyedropper for the colours because I can tell it's a bit too bright..

I did save it as a DIB but i couldnt upload it so i changed it but i changed it back.

Hellsing
January 23rd, 2008, 06:13 PM
I changed the grass tile, and then edited a building tile in a different palette, so that it's background is the same colour of the grass tile I'm using, but instead the background of the building tile (the grass colour) is grey, instead of green. How do I fix this?If this is confusing, I'm sorry.

Tyrantrum
January 31st, 2008, 07:34 PM
Where can i get guide tiles and tilelayerpro

Alistair
February 1st, 2008, 04:40 AM
Okay, TLP can be obtained at Zophar's Domain and it can also be obtained in the EliteMap kit. Guide tiles are made by you. Take a tree tile, for instance, the way it would a appear in the game, and have a tree tile the way it would apper in TileLayer Pro and use the two tiles to figure out which color in TLP is which color on the palette.

Neti
March 24th, 2008, 08:43 AM
but how do i find the tiles in tlp or tilemolester? all i see is are hundreds of weird looking squares with mixed up pixels

silverpokemon
May 31st, 2008, 07:49 PM
well when i do this i get tiles that are all smashed apart...
Somone please help?

BakingBluePotatoe
June 25th, 2008, 07:45 PM
gah! I went to insert a house (like the custum onde in C3lebii's but improved) and it freaked out on me! (the tileset for mapp was just.... O___O dunno 'bout the acctual thingies though)

EDIT: yeah, basically what silverpokemon said.

alexk1995
July 30th, 2008, 09:17 AM
damn this is hard to follow but i finnally got it

Axdudexx
January 12th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Hi, i was looking on the search and searched up Tileset hacking and then clicked on a link called im ppretty sure it was ''My tilesets'' or ''Tilesets from me'' And theres a couple of houses that i wanted to put in my hack and it said you can use certain ones but..When i copy the house into paint and put it over the thing i want it to take place of i5 just goes like a random color.. Any ideas why? maybe because i have to chose a certain pallete?

Thrace
January 12th, 2009, 07:00 PM
You need to make sure that you have only used a maximum of 16 colours and each colour has RGB values which are multiples of 8. Next time ask questions in the Simple Questions thread. Don't revive threads older than a month.

Closed