PDA

View Full Version : Newborn baby skeletons found in bag

MegaFuz
February 18th, 2007, 11:40 PM
BHOPAL, India -- Indian police found a plastic bag stuffed with bones of newborn babies. The remains were found in a ditch on the property of the hospital in the town of Ratlam. All 390 bone fragments are thought to be from newly born babies and fetuses from illegal sex-selection abortions, but Director General of Police A.R. Pavar said an investigation will offer more information.

Another sad story in the news. Sometimes it blows my mind how sick some people are...

Full story. (http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/02/18/india.skeletons/index.html)

Goku Goku
February 19th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Woh, so why you always bringing in the sad news MegaFuz? Even the idea of abortions itself is terrbile enough. The poor baby never had a chance! :'(

Ayano Katagiri
February 19th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Blah, this is just so sick and so sad. Why with all this sad evil news....

MegaFuz
February 19th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Woh, so why you always bringing in the sad news MegaFuz? Even the idea of abortions itself is terrbile enough. The poor baby never had a chance! :'(

Heh. Well, I'd rather hear about important issues like this than hear about Britney Spears' shaved head or Anna Nicole Smith dying. We're kind of having a discussion about that whole thing over in the Daily Chit-Chat right now.

I understand the fact that some mothers and fathers would prefer one sex over the other, but seriously. It's worth killing a newborn baby just to try again for the sex you wanted? This has been a big problem in India, China, and other Asian countries. Sex selection is most common in societies where a large dowry must be paid on marriage. In these societies, families will favor males, as they do not have to pay a dowry on marriage. =\

Dawson
February 19th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Heh. Well, I'd rather hear about important issues like this than hear about Britney Spears' shaved head or Anna Nicole Smith dying. We're kind of having a discussion about that whole thing over in the Daily Chit-Chat right now.Good to see someone taking some action. OC needs a good kick in the activity area anyway.

I understand the fact that some mothers and fathers would prefer one sex over the other, but seriously. It's worth killing a newborn baby just to try again for the sex you wanted? This has been a big problem in India, China, and other Asian countries. Sex selection is most common in societies where a large dowry must be paid on marriage. In these societies, families will favor males, as they do not have to pay a dowry on marriage. =\
We did a study about this in Geography one time. The Chinese government has (or had, this is going back four or five years now) a ruling that a couple were only allowed one child each. If a couple wanted another one, they had to "apply" for permission from the government and then pay a large fine. I believe it'd work out to something like $100,000 per child, but I could be way off. *memory sucks*

So, with that in mind, couples will favour a male for personal and financial reasons. And, should they end up with a female, they just get rid of her, either through abortion or just leaving her to die, and try again the next time, hoping for "better" luck.

Of course, the problem with that is, eventually, the gender ratio in those countries is going to be extremely one sided. And it will become extremely difficult for men to find a partner. But I guess that's one way to cull the rapid over-population of the country, make it nigh on impossible for the next generation to breed.

MegaFuz
February 19th, 2007, 11:27 AM
We did a study about this in Geography one time. The Chinese government has (or had, this is going back four or five years now) a ruling that a couple were only allowed one child each. If a couple wanted another one, they had to "apply" for permission from the government and then pay a large fine. I believe it'd work out to something like $100,000 per child, but I could be way off. *memory sucks*

Yeah, I've heard of the Chinese government creating that law. I'm not sure on the amount of the fine either, but I know it was a good bit of dough.

Of course, the problem with that is, eventually, the gender ratio in those countries is going to be extremely one sided. And it will become extremely difficult for men to find a partner. But I guess that's one way to cull the rapid over-population of the country, make it nigh on impossible for the next generation to breed.

Haha. Not sure if that's the best way to solve over-population, but I suppose you have a point.

--

[EDIT] Ok, did a little bit of researching on this. The law is called the Planned Birth Policy in China, whereas the Western society knows the law as the One-Child Policy. Obviously, the law states that families can only have one child on the mainland of China. The law is enforced much more in urban areas, and the actual implementation varies from location to location. In most rural areas, families are allowed to have two children, if the first child is female, or disabled. Second children are subject to birth spacing (usually 3 or 4 years). Additional children may result in fines. The families are required to pay economic penalties, and might be denied bonuses at their workplace. It seems that the fine payed varies on a large scale of circumstances, and isn't just one set price.