PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy (all)

jammi567
February 20th, 2007, 04:20 AM
The official thread for discussing all the games, from final fantasy I on the SNES to final fantasy XIII on the as of now unknown console.

NewMew
February 20th, 2007, 10:27 AM
I think final fantasy 7 is the best of all time, the storyline between cloud and seph is by fer the best ever dreamed up!

Rioku_Zanketa
February 20th, 2007, 12:39 PM
how come no one talks about ff9?!that was good too...I can't really say much about I-VI because they were borirng to me.....oh,and I don't like X-2,XI,and I'm not sure if XII and XIII exist....(I lost track after X-2)

jammi567
February 20th, 2007, 12:40 PM
I personally find viii the best, because of it's story (not the love side of it though!)

oh,and I don't like X-2,XI,and I'm not sure if XII and XIII exist....(I lost track after X-2)
XII is definatly out (coming out in Europe in a few days time), and XIII is due out in Japan in 2008.

Please use the Edit button next time instead of double posting. Thanks.

NewMew
February 21st, 2007, 10:43 AM
So many final fantasy's have been realsed and only a hand full have been True Mouth openers! ie ("7", "10", "9")

jammi567
February 21st, 2007, 11:16 AM
i would include I one these (as it stared the whole thing off), and VIII (as it's got one of the most confusing stories of all the games.

Razer302
February 21st, 2007, 11:26 AM
I like final fantsy 10 the most. i like all the characters and the storyline is quality. I hate ff 7 i think it is the most over exagerated ff evermade.

Final Fantasy 12 out in 2 days in Europe

NewMew
February 21st, 2007, 11:37 AM
I like final fantsy 10 the most. i like all the characters and the storyline is quality. I hate ff 7 i think it is the most over exagerated ff evermade.

Final fantasy 10 does rock but ff7 has a better villian by far.

Shiny_Latios
February 21st, 2007, 11:40 AM
I think that Game wise so far is FFX as it was my first FF game i was deprived when i was younger :(

Movie wise it has to be FFVI AC: the storyline wasn't the greatest and it was just another how can we bring sephiroth back but the fights were great

FF VII was ok
FF IX i liked quite a bit
FF X-2 was good just to keep you waiting for XII and i have always had a bit of a crush on Yuna :nervous: (Silly i know but i am weird)
and XII i cannot say as i have to wait :( but i looks good apart from you have to buy magic from shops i always hated that idea before and you need a "License" to use weapons but it look sand sounds good

Razer302
February 21st, 2007, 11:44 AM
After watching some videos for XII it looks great but it depends on what the characters are like. I think the new battaling system is a good idea. I like that you get to move the characters this time. And about the whole licensing thing I like the idewa because it adds a slightly hard element into the game the FF 10 was missing.

Rioku_Zanketa
February 21st, 2007, 12:30 PM

......>.>.....they're all over exagerated!that's what makes it final"fantasy"!lol

but I like IX's storyline as well as VII,VIII,and X.

jammi567
February 21st, 2007, 04:18 PM
......>.>.....they're all over exagerated!that's what makes it final"fantasy"!lol
no, seriously, he isn't kidding. On some boards i've been if, if you call (for example) Sephiroth so much as a woss, then that person gets bashed by people who say he's the greatest for crap reasons: he killed Aeries, he carries a long sword, he's been in other games and movies (kingdom hearts I and II, and Advent Children respectivly).

Razer302
February 22nd, 2007, 07:34 AM
Finally someone agrees it is over exagerated.
If anyone needs help they can PM me.

jammi567
February 22nd, 2007, 10:06 AM
It's mainly that game that is over exagerated because of a certain person in it. The rest of the games have a bit more balanced opinion to them.

NewMew
February 22nd, 2007, 10:15 AM
I think that final fantasy 10 has the best music out of the collection what do you lot think?

Razer302
February 22nd, 2007, 11:55 AM
I agree that 10 has the best music. I like the ending song sudeki da ne is my favourite.

NewMew
February 22nd, 2007, 12:03 PM
i like the song when you fight seymore near the end. That song is truly a masterpieace!

TRIFORCE89
February 22nd, 2007, 12:20 PM
I haven't played any of them unfortunately. I have listened to the soundtrack from 1 through IX though. X must really be something if it can top VI.

I want to play VI, VII, and X.

jammi567
February 22nd, 2007, 01:24 PM
I think that final fantasy 10 has the best music out of the collection what do you lot think?
it certainly have the best overall music ('assult' anyone?), but the best song out of all the series has to be 'One Winged Angel', followed closely by 'Otherworld'.

Razer302
February 23rd, 2007, 07:40 AM
Just got ff 12 I cant wait to play it later. I hope it is good.

Ninja Monkey
February 24th, 2007, 09:37 AM
I liked the first Final Fantasy games, up until number 7. It was just so boring... I haven't played any since then, but my friends kept bugging me to play XII because they said it was completely different. I rented it yesterday and so far it's pretty fun. I don't like this Vaan guy much though, especially his outfit.

jammi567
February 24th, 2007, 09:43 AM
That's a first, someone who doesn't like VII (i don't like it much either).

I wish i had enough money to be able to get XII. *sighs*

Razer302
February 24th, 2007, 09:48 AM
XII is quality. I only got it yesterday but played it till 2am last night. and am playing it alot again tonight.Ninaja Monkey how far have you got?

Ninja Monkey
February 24th, 2007, 07:34 PM
XII is quality. I only got it yesterday but played it till 2am last night. and am playing it alot again tonight.Ninaja Monkey how far have you got?
I haven't been playing a lot but I got to the part where...
You get thrown into prison, I fought the big goons(I don't care know what they're called) and now I'm supposed to escape.

Krobelus
February 24th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Hmm.. sounds like an event from FF8.

Anyway, I agree with Uiariamu_Shibu, why doesn't anyone talk about FF9?
Well, I know why. Because, Square never wanted to release a Faq/walkthrough guide for FF9, because of what happened with FF8. They released way too much information in the walkthrough books for FF8, which kinda ruined everything. But, because theres none for FF9, people figured that it wasn't good enough, so they didn't bother with it.

Although, I personally think 8 and 10 are the best, because of the major customization of characters, and the graphics. The story was okay, but, after Final Fantasy 7, most of the stories after, became love stories. Pretty redundant if you ask me, but my favorites are from the lovey-dovey ones, so go figure.

Also, the ending in FF9 always brings a tear to my eye, no matter how many times I watch it..

P.S. Final Fantasy XIII was going to be released for the PS2, but because of the power of the PS3, they decided that they are going to release it on the PS3 because of it's "power".

jammi567
February 25th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Anyway, I agree with Uiariamu_Shibu, why doesn't anyone talk about FF9?
Well, I know why. Because, Square never wanted to release a Faq/walkthrough guide for FF9, because of what happened with FF8. They released way too much information in the walkthrough books for FF8, which kinda ruined everything. But, because theres none for FF9, people figured that it wasn't good enough, so they didn't bother with it.
also, it's because the IX guides suggested that players go to Playonline for everything they need. But players didn't want to do that when they payed $20.00 for a guide book, so they scrapped the idea.

Smarties-chan
February 25th, 2007, 09:39 AM
I've played every Final Fantasy game from 4 to 9 (plus a little of Final Fantasy 1 and 2 and I once tried out FF X-2 at my friend's place.) and I have to say Final Fantasy 9 is my absolute favourite. I started playing it on Tuesday (yay for emulation! ^o^) and I already have around 26 hours of playtime, and that's only because I started a new game after playing 12 hours on my first playthrough. After completing around one quarter of disc 2 I realized I missed Qu's marsh in disc 1 (hey, I got lost on the world map and I didn't pay much attention to my surroundings when I finally found the way to Gizamaluke's cave. And at that point I didn't realize the cave's location had been pointed out on the map. =P) so I started a new game.

Now I'm around halfway through disc 3 and the plot is simply amazing! I also love the music in the game, and even the boss battle music which I used to hate now sounds awesome. The absolutely strongest point of the game is definitely the characters, though. Though I really dislike some characters, (Brahne, Steiner, Amarant and a couple of others) most of them are incarnations of pwn. Zidane, Quina, Vivi and Kuja are the ones I like the most.

Basically everything about the game owns. The music, story and characters are good and the graphics are a major improvement from Final Fantasy VIII in my opinion. (so far I haven't seen anyone's head cut off, which happened to Rinoa in Final Fantasy VIII once. o.o Plus, the battle graphics look better. =P)
Although, I personally think 8 and 10 are the best, because of the major customization of characters, and the graphics. The story was okay, but, after Final Fantasy 7, most of the stories after, became love stories. Pretty redundant if you ask me, but my favorites are from the lovey-dovey ones, so go figure.
If you by major customization of characters you mean the horrible junction system in FF VIII, I strongly disagree with you. All you need to do is slap Flare on HP, Tornado on Strenght and Ultima on Elemental Defense, and if you're really lame, Pain, Death and Petrify (or whatever it's called) on Status Attack, one for each party member and you can't lose in battle. Not that you need the Strenght junction anywhere else than against Griever when it's in the mode where it kills your GF instantly because you can summon any GF in a couple of seconds, so there's no point in attacking normally.

The junction system makes all your characters overpowered, and thus, fails miserably. And the fact that monsters level up when you do and drop fancier stuff when on higher levels makes the game even easier. If you have patience, you can get a level 99 Squall with Lionheart before going to Dollet, because all materials needed for Lionheart can be obtained by refining cards and then further refining the items you refined from the cards. It's also possible to get 100 Flare junctions right after obtaining Ifrit, so FF VIII had some major balance problems.

Don't get me wrong though, FF VIII is a good game, but way too easy to really be fun. Leveling up never gets hard because for every level you gain, you get more experience from monsters and it's simply ridiculous. I had a level 40 party when fighting Elvoret in Dollet after only a couple of hours of leveling up outside the tower.

Krobelus
February 25th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Well, I agree with you, but it would take quite some time to even get those magics, so you have to work with what you got. But you have your own opinion. But, the level up system is there for a reason. Each level you gain, also applies to all enemies. Say your level 40 before Dollet. Everything is going to be challenging because all monsters and boss monsters are level.40. So, if you want a challenge, then keep leveling up. (which is why they made it easy.)

Forci Stikane
February 25th, 2007, 02:16 PM
WOW...this thread grew FAST.

Basically everything about the game owns. The music, story and characters are good and the graphics are a major improvement from Final Fantasy VIII in my opinion. (so far I haven't seen anyone's head cut off, which happened to Rinoa in Final Fantasy VIII once. o.o Plus, the battle graphics look better. =P)

If you by major customization of characters you mean the horrible junction system in FF VIII, I strongly disagree with you. All you need to do is slap Flare on HP, Tornado on Strenght and Ultima on Elemental Defense, and if you're really lame, Pain, Death and Petrify (or whatever it's called) on Status Attack, one for each party member and you can't lose in battle. Not that you need the Strenght junction anywhere else than against Griever when it's in the mode where it kills your GF instantly because you can summon any GF in a couple of seconds, so there's no point in attacking normally.

...Huh?

The junction system makes all your characters overpowered, and thus, fails miserably. And the fact that monsters level up when you do and drop fancier stuff when on higher levels makes the game even easier. If you have patience, you can get a level 99 Squall with Lionheart before going to Dollet, because all materials needed for Lionheart can be obtained by refining cards and then further refining the items you refined from the cards. It's also possible to get 100 Flare junctions right after obtaining Ifrit, so FF VIII had some major balance problems.

...First off, that kind of graphics glitch only shows up when you're using cheats and/or a damaged disc (I've played all the way through with no cheats and mint discs--no problems whatsoever). Second, you also need to get those magics before you can junction them (and a GF that'll let you do so), which takes a while into the game (again, without cheating). Third, in order to get access to Lionheart in the first place, you need to have the magazine which, last I checked, you can't get any legit way (refining, bought, etc) before Esther & Lunatic Pandora...or, at least, before King Tonberry.

......Now, I've played & beat all the games from V-X (XI isn't a Final Fantasy game as far as I'm concerned), and I have to say, they were on a roll with VII-IX. But then they got to X...which did NOT feel like Final Fantasy to me. Maybe it's because I came in at VI back when it was called III in the US but didn't really get into it until VII, maybe it was the leveling system, I dunno. All I do know is that it didn't feel right. It's also the only Final Fantasy I sold after beating...and has set me off from the series (well, that, and my new dislike of Sony).

I also hated the next-to-next-to-last fight against Seymour, with his Zombie & Full-Life combo... without any equipment to protect myself, and getting killed by his all-party attacks, it took me forever to get past him. ARGH!!

Mario The World Champion
February 25th, 2007, 08:50 PM
I've been a big fan of the entire Final Fantasy series and I've nearly played then all and owned them all, even the SNES versions of IV and VI. There are a few FF games that I haven't gotten my hands on yet, but that will chance in the near future. I really want to get my mitts on III for the DS, VI Advance and FF XII for the PS2.

I haven't played any of them unfortunately. I have listened to the soundtrack from 1 through IX though. X must really be something if it can top VI.

I want to play VI, VII, and X.

You haven't played VI yet? VI is one of the best FF games so far. Final Fantasy VI Advance is out now and it's a must get. You won't regret it. I've been trying to get it myself with no luck.

jammi567
February 26th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Third, in order to get access to Lionheart in the first place, you need to have the magazine which, last I checked, you can't get any legit way (refining, bought, etc) before Esther & Lunatic Pandora...or, at least, before King Tomberry.
you don't need any of the magazines. all you need are the materials and the weapon will appear n the junk shop screen

Rioku_Zanketa
February 26th, 2007, 02:38 PM
well you guys know alot...can you guys tell me about part one?.....why do you just start off,with four big crystals?all I understand is that the main characters need them to stop someone,and that's it...can someone give info on this game?....and part two...and three..and four...and five......and....six?...lol jk,but just I?..

Frostweaver
February 26th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Well, I agree with you, but it would take quite some time to even get those magics, so you have to work with what you got. But you have your own opinion. But, the level up system is there for a reason. Each level you gain, also applies to all enemies. Say your level 40 before Dollet. Everything is going to be challenging because all monsters and boss monsters are level.40. So, if you want a challenge, then keep leveling up. (which is why they made it easy.)

Actually, I got Tornado by lvl7- 8, and Holy on to HP to make my life somewhere in the 6000 (or higher) for my still lvl 7-8 by the end of disc 1. The more you level, true that they level as well but at the same time their rate of growth is far lower than yours for HP. Plus, level hardly matters in this game of FF8 because it's all about Triple Triad Junction.

<><><>

With that aside, my heart for FFVI and FFIX the most~ I actually like them because they got the least customization for characters o.O; It actually makes them unique other than the sprite, you know? Plus, I think that FFVI is so nifty that almost everyone got a pretty strong back story of its own (those who don't are the inhumans and the no-gender anyway.) Part of the game is linear, yet the other part is open-travelling, which I also liked. FFIX is simply cute.

Did I mention how those are the only 2 Final Fantasy with the least amount of plot loopholes?

Alter Ego
February 27th, 2007, 12:58 AM
WOW...this thread grew FAST.

...First off, that kind of graphics glitch only shows up when you're using cheats and/or a damaged disc (I've played all the way through with no cheats and mint discs--no problems whatsoever). Second, you also need to get those magics before you can junction them (and a GF that'll let you do so), which takes a while into the game (again, without cheating). Third, in order to get access to Lionheart in the first place, you need to have the magazine which, last I checked, you can't get any legit way (refining, bought, etc) before Esther & Lunatic Pandora...or, at least, before King Tomberry.

You are off on quite a few things.

First, that kind of glitch does occur quite a bit on our computer version (Legit CD) and did so in part without any noticeable damage on the disc. Dunno' if this is just an issue of the PC version, though.

Second, the magics you mentioned can be obtained from cards. Tornado, for instance, comes in multiple copies from Windmill which can be refined from the Abbyss Worm card with Quezacotl's Refine Card ability and can be junctioned with Magic-J, Flare can be gained from Flare Stones (Refined from Behemoth cards) which can be refined with Ifrit's ability. Between Ifrit, Quezacotl, Siren, and Shiva you already have all junctions except accuracy, eva, and luck (two of which can only be obtained from teaching items or Cactuar and one of which comes with Diablos, obtainable before Timber WOOT). Pain can be obtained from Curse Spike (refined from the Tri-Face card) by using Status Mag refine, Death comes with Diablos' refine ability (Can't recall the name xP) from Chef's Knife (Refined from the Tonberry and Tonberry King cards) and these are just from the top of my head. There's a lot more. xP

Also, what's with the huh comment? Once you've gained full compability with a GF you can summon it in a blink of an eye and boost-hax its damage so high that all magic and physical attacks become pointless (Except if you want to abuse status attack), thus why I agree that the GF system is horribly disbalanced. Also, although 100 Flares take forever to scrounge up, 100 Curagas (A decent substitute) come easily from drawing high level Caterchippilars.

Third, you don't need a magazine to remodel. When you obtain all of the required materials in the right amounts the correct recipe or whatever you want to call it appears in the junk shop. I first discovered this with Rinoa's Rising Sun, and I tested it in practice by obtaining Punishment (Squall's second-best weapon) before going to Timber. Shorties is mistaken on Lionheart, though, you have to wait 'til you get Minotaur's card to get the required Adamantites for it.

Well, now that I've got that off my chest...I've played through FF VII (and nearl VIII as well, I just got bored in Ultimecia's castle and never finished. xP) and I've also played through FF IV and V as well as a large chunk of VI and a tiny bit of IX. Personally, my preference is on VII and VI, with VII having a slight advantage because it came first and thus kind of defined what I think of as a good Final Fantasy game. IX has potential for that spot too, but I haven't played enough of it to justify making it my favourite. VII I liked because...well, it was my first love darn it, that should account for something, right? Plus, I enjoyed a lot of the characters. xD VI I liked much for the same reasons as Frostweaver, the sheer vastness of the world after its reformed is awesome, as are the backstories. Plus, the characters' little expressions are just so gosh-darn adorable. :3

I found VIII to be a letdown, personally. Sure, the graphics are great but it's just so disbalanced. Not only because of the GFs, but because certain characters are also horribly overpowered. That's right, Squall of the always hit always crit (If you keep it on trigger and get good at button pressin you do get a critical hit every time) weapon and 16 x 9999 damage limit break (preceeded by a weaker 10-hit combo, just in case it wasn't overkill enough), I'm looking at you...<.< Seriously, the early battles were no challenge at all and the lat-game ones became a tedious game of attacking and using Recover and Revive over and over. Plus, the story was too much wrapped around the writers' pet pairing and left a lot of characters largely ignored (Selphie, Quistis, Zell, and Irvine, anyone? xP). So yeah.

Billiken
February 27th, 2007, 01:09 AM
i love 7, 8, 9, 10 all them are awesome for different reasons. 7 is my fave for the simple reason that it was my first rpg i fell in love with. not only that the battle system, story, characters, and side quests are awesome. 8 was great too. it was futuristic and cool with the gf system. nine had some of my favorite characters and i loved the fact that it was high fantasy. 9 was one of the most enjoyable games beginning to end i have ever played. 10 was unbelievable in the graphics and spoken dialouge, and was also a lot of fun. I am playing through 12 now and it is fun also but i don't know how i feel about the battle system...I guess i have to finih before i comment.

Frostweaver
February 27th, 2007, 02:29 AM
Screw Caterchipillars, just refine tents for easy 20 Curagas per tent (and they're darn cheap too, even just right after the Dollet mission.)

Actually, it's *much* better to just normal attack than use GF, and leave GF compatibility to crap rate, except for maybe Doomtrain. The reason is that a GF animation is long, and you want to end normal battle as soon as possible. It takes far less work to boost str than GF compatibility. You can mindlessly boost damage with Junction rather than using GF button mashing skills.

The major concern with GF compatbility is that you want them to be *as rubbish* as possible against Omega Weapon. Longer it takes for GF to summon, the more likely you block Omega's overlimit damage moves that will destroy you even if you are at 9999 hp. Better for GF to die than you.

I do believe that Lionheart is accessible in Disc 1, but it's too crazy to get like 80 forgot-boss-name cards to get the needed pieces... Getting Krysta Cards for Holy in HP was the limit of gaming geekiness for me.

Don't even get me started on how FF8 is easily the worse of all FFs ever in existance... Limit Break system is so seriously flawed that it's not funny. Selphie's slots can get The End which destroys *everything* (not sure Omega Weapon is immune or not, but I do know that Ultimecia can get OTK by it). Really, is there any contest to your team members in terms of Squall, Quistis and Zell? Zell can even dish out more damage than Squall's Lionheart if you got 13 seconds of time, and just spam the 2 most basic techniques in 0.2 seconds for couple thousand damage each (65 x around 4000 >>>> Lionheart). 0.2 second is impossible? not really... just pressing 3 buttons that are darn conveninet as they're right next to each other.

It's completely unreasonable how a much needed item, the Whisper on the Adamantines, disappear if you got yourself higher than lvl 30 by the time you fight one of those stuff... on my first walkthrough, I completely missed it. -_-; Aren't rewards suppose to be given to the keeners, not the other way around?

Oh, and I disagree with Alter Ego on one thing: all battles in FF8 excluding Omega Weapon, is darn easy. Never used item or any spells at all, not even Curaga/Full Life except for once. Using spell is just screwing your own stats over, and that's... very, very bad. Any normal monster is instantly killed by Degenerator (ridiculously easy to get as long as Quistis is low hp to use Blue Magic nonstop, so low hp Quistis = pwnage? If that's the case, why heal?) The only time I did use Full Life spell is Ultima Weapon, who went first and uses Light Pillar for 9999 dmg as first attack ><; so, had to Full Life, wince a bit, then beat the crap out of it before it gets its 2nd turn.

Omega Weapon is a sudden huge jump in learning curve that it suddenly is invincible unless you got max stats on everything (that's a 200 hour task to do, basically), and even then you need major strategic planning. Sounds tough? However, for non-perfectionist who doesn't mind morphing a one-only card, hey just make a few Holy War to make your characters literally invulnerable for too many rounds, and just beat Omega Weapon that way.

So really, what's not screwed up about this game except for Eyes on Me?

It's surprising how fun FFVI is on the other hand, althought it is by far, the most buggy glitched up, rushed Final Fantasy in existance. Over 100 *fatal* bugs and still loved? Miracle.

(FF7 got a good story? Er, unless your definition of a good story is a convoluted mess of chaotic confusion... not to mention far-fetched.)

Sylphiel
February 27th, 2007, 06:59 AM
I find myself liking the Nintendo-era FF games (VI and before) far more often that not. With the exception of FFIX and FFVII (which I do think is overrated, but I did enjoy it when I played it), none of the games after then seem to have the same kind of charm to me that the older games had.

Though FFXII seems to be okay, from what I've played of it. Nothing that thrills me greatly, but it's fairly decent.

FFVI is absolute love. <3 Even more than ten years after originally playing it, it still contains some of my favorite characters and scenes in any FF game ever. Had I more money to spare at the moment, I'd definitely see about buying FFVI Advance.

Forci Stikane
February 27th, 2007, 07:18 AM
You are off on quite a few things.

First, that kind of glitch does occur quite a bit on our computer version (Legit CD) and did so in part without any noticeable damage on the disc. Dunno' if this is just an issue of the PC version, though.

It is, and I was talking specifically about the PSX version.

Second, the magics you mentioned can be obtained from cards. Tornado, for instance, comes in multiple copies from Windmill which can be refined from the Abbyss Worm card with Quezacotl's Refine Card ability and can be junctioned with Magic-J, Flare can be gained from Flare Stones (Refined from Behemoth cards) which can be refined with Ifrit's ability. Between Ifrit, Quezacotl, Siren, and Shiva you already have all junctions except accuracy, eva, and luck (two of which can only be obtained from teaching items or Cactuar and one of which comes with Diablos, obtainable before Timber WOOT). Pain can be obtained from Curse Spike (refined from the Tri-Face card) by using Status Mag refine, Death comes with Diablos' refine ability (Can't recall the name xP) from Chef's Knife (Refined from the Tonberry and Tonberry King cards) and these are just from the top of my head. There's a lot more. xP

Blame my lack of wanting to refine cards like that.

Also, what's with the huh comment? Once you've gained full compability with a GF you can summon it in a blink of an eye and boost-hax its damage so high that all magic and physical attacks become pointless (Except if you want to abuse status attack), thus why I agree that the GF system is horribly disbalanced. Also, although 100 Flares take forever to scrounge up, 100 Curagas (A decent substitute) come easily from drawing high level Caterchippilars.

Not that you need the Strenght junction anywhere else than against Griever when it's in the mode where it kills your GF instantly

THAT is what I was talking about.

Third, you don't need a magazine to remodel. When you obtain all of the required materials in the right amounts the correct recipe or whatever you want to call it appears in the junk shop. I first discovered this with Rinoa's Rising Sun, and I tested it in practice by obtaining Punishment (Squall's second-best weapon) before going to Timber. Shorties is mistaken on Lionheart, though, you have to wait 'til you get Minotaur's card to get the required Adamantites for it.

I guess that's for the PC version, because it never did that for me in the PSX version.

Alter Ego
February 27th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Blame my lack of wanting to refine cards like that.

No need to blame anyone, but don't go spreading falsehoods just because you don't want to bother with refining yourself. The point remains that most of the best junctions can be gained really early.

THAT is what I was talking about.

Nyu, well it does happen in the PC version. Can't remember what the attack is called, but it's unleashed the moment you try to summon a GF and insta-kills it. Very tedious. :\

I guess that's for the PC version, because it never did that for me in the PSX version.

Could be. *Shrug*

Frostweaver
February 27th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Why you'll summon GFs against anyone but the first initial few battles before you get Card or against Omega Weapon is beyond me. I didn't face Griever using GF so I didn't know taht it has an OTK against GFs, but losing the ability to junction will hurt severely especially in the middle of battle ;_;

Well, I see Triple Triad as the power-play equilvalent of FF8 in comparison to all the other FFs. You can train the crap out of yourself in the other FFs to gain considerable power early on if you put the time for it. Likewise, play the card game to no end, and you will be handsomely awarded in FF8 likewise. However, the extent of time needed to reach Near-Invulnerbility in FF8 through Junction is wayyyyy less than the amount of time to train the crap out of your levels in the other FFs. Also, FF6 and FF9 punishes high level (sorta) by giving you the much loved high hp but also minimized stat gain. You can't get good stats without playing a low-level game until near the end when you can finally power-play yourself. However, FF8 you can power-play even if you "train" with Triple Triad, which is making things easy again.

(everyone will remember the immense pain of the IAF in FF6 if anyone plays a low level game there... it's *at least* 10 tries since it's so freakin' luck based. Atma Weapon simply unleashs Hell even if you runic. What about FF8? Casually unleash Lionheart/other limits and walk over the body of even Ultima Weapon without a care in the world~)

Oh, I think FF7 is a great RPG as well, but I think that it's great, but not "ultimate godly mother of all RPGs that everyone should worship as the World's greatest creation of all time"-type of thing like what some other people say.

Looking forward to playing FF6-advance as well! But I heard that now you can beat Kefra in World of Ruins infinite amount of times, which means infinite Atma Weapon and Ragnarok... which means infinite Illuminas for everyone who can use it (wonder if Merit Award is still here? lol). Sorta takes away the pain of choosing Ragnarok Esper and the Ragnarok sword trade in the original... I liked how you must sacrifice one for the other, too.

(and they probably fixed the magic evasion/evasion bug by now? geez... without it, low level game will be *even* tougher =/ )