PDA

View Full Version : Super Smash Bros. Melee

Lionheart
March 7th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Who likes this game, it is really fun, please post here and talk comments, tips, stratigies, characters, Etc.

Sakuya
March 7th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Who doesn't like this game? XD I play it every so often and I'm the best as Pikachu or Link. 8D

Lionheart
March 7th, 2007, 07:57 PM
I do good at Pikachu also :)

Bkue
March 7th, 2007, 08:01 PM
I love this game.. You dont want to fight my Marth =P

Sakuya
March 7th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Ahh, Marth and Roy. <3 Two awesome bishies to fight with as well! 8D

Lionheart
March 7th, 2007, 08:03 PM
My brothers are great with Marth and Roy too! :)

flight
March 8th, 2007, 03:41 AM
Marth and Roy are just pure pwnage. But I'm also really good with Falco. Fox is the same thing but...in my opinion, Falco looks cooler. XD

Esupio
March 8th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Marth and roy are overrated to me.
I use Fox and Link.
but I'm pretty good with most characters

Sakuya
March 8th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Overrated? How do you see that? If Marth and Roy are considered overrated, than Link must be terrible to play with. x_x

Esupio
March 8th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Overrated? How do you see that? If Marth and Roy are considered overrated, than Link must be terrible to play with. x_x

They're good characters yeah, but everyone seems to play as them.

I only use Link because he has a combination of projectiles and strong close range attacks.

Fox due to his speed.

Whenever I play somebody who's Roy, he'll leg it over to the other side of the arena and charge up that b attack as much as possible hoping for a one hit KO.

Sakuya
March 8th, 2007, 11:11 AM
That's not surprising. I think its stupid that people want to do One hit KO's and not actually use strategy to figure out these things. :/ Pretty sad indeed.

Esupio
March 8th, 2007, 11:21 AM
That's not surprising. I think its stupid that people want to do One hit KO's and not actually use strategy to figure out these things. :/ Pretty sad indeed.

But I do love the look on their face when you throw a bomb at them with link when they're in the middle of charging

flight
March 8th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Fox and Falco are the same thing. But I think Falco is faster.

I only use Roy when having to do swordsman battles. D:

Esupio
March 8th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Fox and Falco are the same thing. But I think Falco is faster.

I only use Roy when having to do swordsman battles. D:

Fox is faster, and they're blasters are different.

Meh, I'll use fox against roy, much faster, and I can use my laser on him XD

Sakuya
March 8th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Stopping someone who's using Roy is hilarious. XD Bombs away!

Rioku_Zanketa
March 8th, 2007, 02:51 PM
hey,I'm good at this game too!

Dr.Mario-I've just explored him...he's not too bad...it's mario with more power,and best of all is that his reduced speed is something that doesn't effect me!

Link-same as Esupio.....but if anything,I rely on his up-B special to knock opponents away.

Many others-I'm pretty much awesome with everyone xcept Dk...he just plain sucks...

Marth and roy are ok to me,but I love fighting them!they give me the ULTIMATE adrenaline rush when against the both of them(with me being Link paired up with Ganon.....sometimes he's helpful,and sometimes he's the first to die,leaving me alone...and I still win...lol)

Aether
March 8th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Yay, I love Melee, my best characters are Young Link, Luigi and Pikachu, I still have yet to open the FINAL stage, its the only unlockable i have left besides the sound test and the rest of the trophies =X

flight
March 8th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Fox is faster, and they're blasters are different.

Meh, I'll use fox against roy, much faster, and I can use my laser on him XD

I thought Falco was faster..well he looks faster.

Though Falco's blaster hurts. While Fox's blaster doesn't do anything, sadly.

Plus Falco is more acrobatic. I'll use him against anyone. XD Most preferrably fox.

Rioku_Zanketa
March 8th, 2007, 07:11 PM

Plus Falco is more acrobatic. I'll use him against anyone. XD Most preferrably fox.

nope.Falco was meant to be a fox with more power and jump,less speed....in fact,Falco pretty much is the first ssb Fox,with the high jump,and average power,and all.now they've changed fox up to be....well,a fox...lightning fast,but a little wea.

Vendour
March 8th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I love SSBM. I fight with Pikachu. Hes small, quick, strong, and has the best save move in the game. With his headbutt combined with his Quick Attack, theres almost no doubt that he'll make it back on stage, that is if he doesnt fly out of map range and die when knock off stage.

Link and Marth are way overpowered, especially Link. Samus' charged blaster attack is absolutely ridiculous. And Mewtwo plain sucks, which is a shame.

Esupio
March 9th, 2007, 07:54 AM

Fox's blaster doesn't knock people back, just does 1 percent damage to them.
Falco's fires much slower, just knocks people back.

Well if Brawl is online, I'll take on anybody.

flight
March 9th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Fox's blaster doesn't knock people back, just does 1 percent damage to them.
Falco's fires much slower, just knocks people back.

Well if Brawl is online, I'll take on anybody.

It's slower, but at least it knocks people back. D:

Jari
March 9th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Kirby <3

I like to use YL lately, because it annoys people. I like Marth and Roy too, because they're from FE. I love FE.
I like to use Fox/Falco too. It's deflector still surprises people. It's fun to use for attacking too.

Lionheart
March 9th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Shiek is fun, against Ganondorf, Sheik Handicap 1, Ganondorf Handicap 9, on damage ratio 2.0

Esupio
March 10th, 2007, 09:54 AM
It's slower, but at least it knocks people back. D:

Slower = Easier to dodge.

If I face falco, and I'm link, I just crouch and the blaster bolts will hit his shield XD

Yoshistar64
March 10th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Are you kidding? Super Smash Bros. Melee is the BEST GAME EVER!! I can school anyone who gets in my way! I unlocked all the courses and just about all the trophies! I had it since I was 7 or 8! My best charactes are Dr. Mario, Yoshi, and Jigglypuff! If you really think you can beat me, then I feel bad for you!

typeZERO
March 10th, 2007, 11:30 PM
I'm great with the following numbered from 1-10:

#1.Roy
#2.Marth
#3.Link
#4.pikachu
#5.Samus
#6.Fox
#7.Dr.Mario
#8.Mewtwo
#9.Falco
#10.Shiek

These I'm considered by my school the best player with. I specifically like Roy because he's great when you're facing a high jumper or a Roy/Marth player. High jumpers like Mewtwo would get beaten by my Roy because he takes so long to land , giving me time to charge up. Double the chance for a powerful hit if they double jump! I only like Marth for his shield breaker though and his ability to fight long ranged , even though I could fight long ranged and close ranged with Roy and Mewtwo , Fox , etc.

Esupio
March 11th, 2007, 02:16 AM
I'm great with the following numbered from 1-10:

#1.Roy
#2.Marth
#3.Link
#4.pikachu
#5.Samus
#6.Fox
#7.Dr.Mario
#8.Mewtwo
#9.Falco
#10.Shiek

These I'm considered by my school the best player with. I specifically like Roy because he's great when you're facing a high jumper or a Roy/Marth player. High jumpers like Mewtwo would get beaten by my Roy because he takes so long to land , giving me time to charge up. Double the chance for a powerful hit if they double jump! I only like Marth for his shield breaker though and his ability to fight long ranged , even though I could fight long ranged and close ranged with Roy and Mewtwo , Fox , etc.

Perfect example of roy and marth being overrated.
The charging isn't even displaying skill, maybe the whole plan required a bit of thinking.
Its just waiting for them to come down, then hoping you'll get a quick KO, and its not likely to hit, due to the fact slow fallers can manouver in the air.

Personally, with Fox, I'd get up there in the air and land some hits, much quicker and harder to dodge, yes I'm vunerable, but if its a 3-4 player game, your vunerable when your charging up that attack.

Yoshistar64
March 11th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Perfect example of roy and marth being overrated.

Whoa, hold on a second!

Who said anything about Marth and Roy being overrated? Only beginners say that!

Destiny Hero - Dogma
March 11th, 2007, 09:44 AM
I played it!, but i wonder what brawl will be like?:\

Yoshistar64
March 11th, 2007, 09:56 AM
I played it1, but i wonder what brawl will be like?:\

*gasp* You're saying that you don't like SSBM?

I know Brawl is better, but Melee is awesome!

Destiny Hero - Dogma
March 11th, 2007, 10:27 AM
*gasp* You're saying that you don't like SSBM?

I know Brawl is better, but Melee is awesome!

I never said that, I'm just Wondering what it will be like

Rioku_Zanketa
March 11th, 2007, 05:14 PM
the best way to put roy's charge move to use,is to keep hitting the enemy with it,charging a little more each time you notice they go further....every move is an awesome move,you just gotta know how to use it right.....look at me..I'm sounding like my sensei....lol

Kenny_C.002
March 11th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Falco's laser is almost as fast as Fox's laser. The only difference is how fast one taps the B button when they're firing from air. Good Fox players can double shoot off a hop, whereas Falco players are stuck with a single laser (which technically means Foxes have about double the laser shots). Though, I've seen Falco's double laser off a hop...it's just too difficult to do. Generally the match up tends to favour Falco, unless it's Final Destination, where Fox has a slight edge. Then again, Fox is pretty much the undisputed best character in the game anyway.

Lionheart
March 11th, 2007, 09:10 PM
I do good at Mewtwo, with help from my brother.

Kenny_C.002
March 11th, 2007, 09:13 PM
I do good at Mewtwo, with help from my brother.
I actually liked Mewtwo for quite a while, even though I had no idea on how to use him at all. :3

Lionheart
March 11th, 2007, 10:03 PM
He is really fun to use, his attacks are cool :)

Eon-Rider
March 12th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Jigglypuff rocks my socks. :)

There was a moment when I got so obsessed with Jigglypuff. I started practising by owning Bowser and Donkey Kong and eventually started to beat the harder characters though Marth is quite hard to beat. Other characters I use are Samus, Mario, Marth and Shiek.

I'm not sure if this is worth mentioning but I have the PAL version which has some minor differences..

Jeremy
March 12th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Super Smash Bros. Melee is one of my favorite games. ^^ I usually play as Mario, Pikachu, or Samus, but lately...I've been pwning with Link. =D

mamudi
March 12th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Has every1 forgotten kirby he/she is the is best charachter in the game his down+b attack is really good and he jumps good
but he was much better on super smash bros on the n64

TRIFORCE89
March 12th, 2007, 07:48 AM
I'm always Young Link. He may not be as powerful as his adult counterpart, but he's speed makes up for it.

Esupio
March 12th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Has every1 forgotten kirby he/she is the is best charachter in the game his down+b attack is really good and he jumps good

Kirby is for new players who can't master triple jumping using Up and B.
Same with Jigglypuff.

Jeremy
March 12th, 2007, 08:48 AM

Kirby is a he, sweetie. Also he's still a pretty good fighter, compared to his N64 Smash Bros counter part. =3

mamudi
March 12th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Same with Jigglypuff.

what u say is so not true there r alot of PRO's that play with kirby never saw underground ssbmc

Rainfall
March 12th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Yes, this game is a very very good game. I'm mostly Pikachu, Pichu, Link, Young Link, or Shiek. I'll also be various other characters, but those are my favorites.

Esupio
March 12th, 2007, 10:54 AM
what u say is so not true there r alot of PRO's that play with kirby never saw underground ssbmc

Yeah, but they'll still just use his float jumps to get back onto the stage.

mamudi
March 12th, 2007, 11:11 AM
so kirby isint for new players who can't master triple jumping using Up and B.

Kenny_C.002
March 12th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Jigglypuff rocks my socks. :)

There was a moment when I got so obsessed with Jigglypuff. I started practising by owning Bowser and Donkey Kong and eventually started to beat the harder characters though Marth is quite hard to beat. Other characters I use are Samus, Mario, Marth and Shiek.

I'm not sure if this is worth mentioning but I have the PAL version which has some minor differences..

I don't like puff vs. Marth matches. The matchup's like 10% jiggs, 90% Marth. It's all because of that stupid disjuncted hitbox. XD

I'm always Young Link. He may not be as powerful as his adult counterpart, but he's speed makes up for it.

YL? I personally think that his lesser range is what did him in, really.

He's much better on the N64 one, yes. Down + B is pretty bad though. Dodge --> grab. :-/

Same with Jigglypuff.

Counter examples: Wall of Pain with Jigglypuff. Rising pound with Jigglypuff.

Yeah, but they'll still just use his float jumps to get back onto the stage.

It's an advanatge for kirby players. That's like saying all up + b attacks shouldn't be used because they are recovery moves.

I'm unaware of "pros" playing with a low tier character like kirby, when there are many choices that are much better (like say Peach).

Rioku_Zanketa
March 12th, 2007, 04:46 PM
wow.....you know,you guys have alot of info,and rely on it,I'm sure....but do you guys have any Skill?.....anyone can go anywhere with any character if they learn all about the characters....but I don't take the time to learn,just fight.this may sound like I don't know anything,but it's kinda hard to explain....think of it this way:when you guys first got the game,were you guys able to just select a char,and go against lvl.9 coputers and win?....I could....alot of people I play come up with facts before we fight saying stuff like:"oh,you choose him?well I'll choose this guy,cuz he can jump higher,and his speed beats yours"..........and then I end up winning.....

jeez.....if there's anyone who's TRULY good at this game,....can you understand what I'm saying?...

Kenny_C.002
March 12th, 2007, 07:21 PM
wow.....you know,you guys have alot of info,and rely on it,I'm sure....but do you guys have any Skill?.....anyone can go anywhere with any character if they learn all about the characters....but I don't take the time to learn,just fight.this may sound like I don't know anything,but it's kinda hard to explain....think of it this way:when you guys first got the game,were you guys able to just select a char,and go against lvl.9 coputers and win?....I could....alot of people I play come up with facts before we fight saying stuff like:"oh,you choose him?well I'll choose this guy,cuz he can jump higher,and his speed beats yours"..........and then I end up winning.....

jeez.....if there's anyone who's TRULY good at this game,....can you understand what I'm saying?...
...it's not you. Skill consists of, and not including, WDing, shield hopping, SHuFFLing, etc. Seriously, to say that you have "skill" by being able to beat level 9 computers is unimpressive at best. To know the game and being able to apply that knowledge into converting the game into something that you exploit is how you go pro.

I don't have to say much, but obviously I'm not a good player (never once did I say I'm good, I get trashed by pros all the time). But knowing the game means that you can stand a better chance against whoever you're facing against.

Destiny Hero - Dogma
March 12th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I'm samus almost all the time, her and mewtwo do great together with a little trick

Arcanine
March 12th, 2007, 11:05 PM
What I find funny is all the posts in here saying "OMG I'm the best out there. | If any of you could battle me you'd lose. | Battle me and I'll ace you with [Put Character here]" and so on. Just because you beat a few friends you end up the best SSBM player out there? I foresee a few shocked people when they get to play SSBB online.

Anyway. My best character is Fox. I like the speed of Fox over Falco's power. In most games I take speed over power, and SSBM is no different. Most of the time I sit back shooting my blaster or doing my super special light speed attack over and over. To me, it's a good way to clean up a battle, I change my tactics but I use the blaster most of the time.

Eon-Rider
March 13th, 2007, 02:57 AM

I hope you realise if you miss with that move you'll be vulnerable to being grabbed if you don't react quickly.

Pikabloo
March 13th, 2007, 03:21 AM
I've only played the game several times with my cousins. It was pretty fun. My best character has to be Fox, but I guess I'm okay with Falco as well, seeing as they're pretty similar. But like Arcanine, I prefer speed over power, so I like Fox more. Other characters that I play as are Kirby, Pikachu and Samus. But overall, I really suck at the game xD I die like 30 seconds into a match. I still find it fun, though.

ss5vegeta
March 13th, 2007, 04:50 AM
Pikachu is my best character, but Mewtwos throws are amazing!

im getting DBZBT2 22nd March, 1 day b4 release. (Tommorows world)

with the new characters King Piccolo!!! once im done ill go into hybernation until this comes out in the UK.

Warheart
March 13th, 2007, 08:42 AM
I haven't played this game in like...forever...

But back in the day, I was a God with Link, and Kirby...

Kenny_C.002
March 13th, 2007, 08:49 AM
What I find funny is all the posts in here saying "OMG I'm the best out there. | If any of you could battle me you'd lose. | Battle me and I'll ace you with [Put Character here]" and so on. Just because you beat a few friends you end up the best SSBM player out there? I foresee a few shocked people when they get to play SSBB online.

I wouldn't be surprised that I can trash a good number of players here just simply because I know more.

Anyway. My best character is Fox. I like the speed of Fox over Falco's power. In most games I take speed over power, and SSBM is no different. Most of the time I sit back shooting my blaster or doing my super special light speed attack over and over. To me, it's a good way to clean up a battle, I change my tactics but I use the blaster most of the time.

Fox and Falco are fundamentally different characters. Falco is straightforward with their offense, while Fox is a waiter. Falco is good AGAINST Fox simply because Fox can't wait. Falco has a better laser (with just as much speed for most people, might I add). Fox can't pillar, Falco can. Fox's shine hits down, allowing for SDing. Falco's SD is practically useless after the first or second. Fox's 2 kill moves hit up, and are generally easy to pull off. One of Falco's two major kill moves is a tilt, meaning it's harder to do in a match when your adrenaline is pumping. The list goes on and on. It's NOT as simple as speed vs. power, since they are both very fast anyway.

I hope you realise if you miss with that move you'll be vulnerable to being grabbed if you don't react quickly.

Actually, if they dodge --> grab, kirby can't get out of it no matter how good their reaction time is. I think that's the main problem with the ability.

I've only played the game several times with my cousins. It was pretty fun. My best character has to be Fox, but I guess I'm okay with Falco as well, seeing as they're pretty similar. But like Arcanine, I prefer speed over power, so I like Fox more. Other characters that I play as are Kirby, Pikachu and Samus. But overall, I really suck at the game xD I die like 30 seconds into a match. I still find it fun, though.

I made a rant on the difference between Falco and Fox. You can ignore me. :3

Esupio
March 13th, 2007, 11:03 AM
I acknoledge the fact that I'm not the best at SSB:M But I'm think I'm alright at the game, but I haven't played it for ages, and seem to have lost most of my skill.

And remember Brawl could have a totally different control scheme

Rioku_Zanketa
March 13th, 2007, 11:08 AM

hey,I didn't say I was the best.I've been to a couple of tournies,and I always stop and withdraw the minute I go against a guy who's main focus is throwing.whether I win or lose(and i can beat them pretty easily)I withdraw.back then,when I didn't withdraw,after a win/loss,I was angry,and I pointed in their face and shouted "you suck!YOU SUCK!!!!!".I never showed it during gameplay,but I was always pissed off when the opponent wanted to grab and throw me. (people like the infamous "ken" marth)I always kept a straight face,and kept going.the majority of "pros" I fought want to throw,so if that's what it takes to be a "pro",then count me out.those are the losers to me....(and don't try to counter me about the majority of people who throw,because I have traveled throughout America in tournaments,and I've seen enough...now I don't even take the game seriously anymore.)

Vendour
March 13th, 2007, 01:05 PM
What I find funny is all the posts in here saying "OMG I'm the best out there. | If any of you could battle me you'd lose. | Battle me and I'll ace you with [Put Character here]" and so on. Just because you beat a few friends you end up the best SSBM player out there?Oh Lord, whenever and wherever SSB is brought up, theres always loads of people claiming their and best and that they could beat anyone. It truly annoys me to no end. >.< The majority of them tend to be 12-14 who've only played (and perhaps beaten) their friends of similar age. Now he thinks hes the best and wants to let everyone know it! Little does he know an older player with more playing experience could beat thim with his eyes closed.

Kenny_C.002
March 13th, 2007, 09:49 PM
hey,I didn't say I was the best.I've been to a couple of tournies,and I always stop and withdraw the minute I go against a guy who's main focus is throwing.whether I win or lose(and i can beat them pretty easily)I withdraw.back then,when I didn't withdraw,after a win/loss,I was angry,and I pointed in their face and shouted "you suck!YOU SUCK!!!!!".I never showed it during gameplay,but I was always pissed off when the opponent wanted to grab and throw me. (people like the infamous "ken" marth)I always kept a straight face,and kept going.the majority of "pros" I fought want to throw,so if that's what it takes to be a "pro",then count me out.those are the losers to me....(and don't try to counter me about the majority of people who throw,because I have traveled throughout America in tournaments,and I've seen enough...now I don't even take the game seriously anymore.)
You're right, you were facing "pros", but they are not pros. They may know of how the game works, but have no clue in its execution. Chain throw is a useful ability to have with Marth, since it punishes well, but it's not made to be offensive. Those who didn't see that aren't pros, they are simply wannabes. And Smash Ken may spam chain grabs, but at least he knows how chain grabbing works, and spams it accordingly. Seriously, thinking one-sided like that makes me doubt you are mature enough to even play the pro's games sensibly anyway.

Esupio
March 14th, 2007, 12:41 PM
I just play the game for fun, not to string together complex combos

Rioku_Zanketa
March 14th, 2007, 06:14 PM
You're right, you were facing "pros", but they are not pros. They may know of how the game works, but have no clue in its execution. Chain throw is a useful ability to have with Marth, since it punishes well, but it's not made to be offensive. Those who didn't see that aren't pros, they are simply wannabes. And Smash Ken may spam chain grabs, but at least he knows how chain grabbing works, and spams it accordingly. Seriously, thinking one-sided like that makes me doubt you are mature enough to even play the pro's games sensibly anyway.
1.wow...that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life...lol.....how in the world can you supposed to be mature to entertain yourself?...you,...you must be one of those guys who get mad and throw the controller upon losing...lmao...and I'm gonna ignore that last part.I don't care what you think,no one asked for an opinion like that,and you knew there was a good chance of me replying with a vengence....control yourself...lol
2.everyone knows it's protection!because they use it so the don't lose!but what I'm saying is that I dislike it because it can be either 100% easy,or 65% easy to dodge,depending on how fast the opponent is....if he's fast,it's 100& easy.just press down+L1,and do the same thing back(because he'll do it again,causing him to miss,and you have a small chance to attack)....that is,if you're skilled enough...if the opponent is slower,then 65%...he most likely won't do t again,but you could still smack him around...

........:).......wow...I 100% agree with this guy...three cheers for SSBM!!

Kenny_C.002
March 15th, 2007, 02:35 PM
1.wow...that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life...lol.....how in the world can you supposed to be mature to entertain yourself?...you,...you must be one of those guys who get mad and throw the controller upon losing...lmao...and I'm gonna ignore that last part.I don't care what you think,no one asked for an opinion like that,and you knew there was a good chance of me replying with a vengence....control yourself...lol

The word pro is derived from "professional", meaning that they don't play the game for fun. Take a look at say mtg pros. They spend most of their time either tuning decks, drafting, or analyzing the metagame. As professionals, they do this for a living, and can't afford to "entertain themselves" through playing most of the time. Sure the games are fun for them (well not when they're on stage and playing against other top players), but they have already realized that being a professional means that they are making money out of winning. You seem to have your facts and ideas mixed up in that regard.

However, it is very funny that the worse you can come up with is "my throwing the controller when I lose", which is fairly ironic considering that I'm a rather patient person to begin with, and is further reinforced by this post, which is rather neutral.

2.everyone knows it's protection!because they use it so the don't lose!but what I'm saying is that I dislike it because it can be either 100% easy,or 65% easy to dodge,depending on how fast the opponent is....if he's fast,it's 100& easy.just press down+L1,and do the same thing back(because he'll do it again,causing him to miss,and you have a small chance to attack)....that is,if you're skilled enough...if the opponent is slower,then 65%...he most likely won't do t again,but you could still smack him around...

What's interesting is that the throwing mechanism is too slow to be used as protection. The defining ability of throwing is literally to be an ability that is used almost solely to control the game after either a lag in their opponent's attacks (as all attacks have a few frames of lag before the character can attack again, with exception of some moves such as autocancel on Peach, where in this case, it is determined by the timing of the offensive player). Grabbing, therefore, is more a chance-based ability that does let players do something off the other player's offense. This is why you see grabbing relatively often in some matches. Tell me, how can you dodge with down + L when you are coming out of an attack's lag and you can't do anything?

And most people don't either. That's perfectly normal too. It is just that there are professionals who don't necessarily play this game for fun, as well.

Bkue
March 15th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Marth and roy are overrated to me.
I use Fox and Link.
but I'm pretty good with most characters

I know Im a little late to quote you, But I havent checked this thread in forever XD

Yes I have to agree with you, Most people use Marth and/or Roy. But they are very good, I can get a lot of combos off of there moves, And then when you get the chance you can do a half moon (Pressing down +A in midair) To smash them down to their death, Just watching them even TRY to survive is funny XD.

And yes, I use Link and Fox too, Very good characters.

Jari
March 15th, 2007, 04:39 PM

Heh, I guess most of them don't know what wavedashing or who MrSilver is.
But to be honest, I only play against friends too. My mother doesn't let me go to tourneys. I'm not gonna win anyway. I'm good, but not pro.

Lionheart
March 16th, 2007, 11:28 AM
I wish mine would work, i will probably have to get a new one, i got a picture that has a Mewtwo affected by a Shadow Ball and another that is normal, they have there hands pointing towards each other.

Yoshistar64
March 25th, 2007, 08:01 AM
I played mostly against friends and unlocked Mewtwo with them. We put the time to 60 hours and either dodged Bullet Bills or survived in Infinite Glacier (I think that's what its called). We played 20 hours each day. Good times... Good times.....

The other day I was at Nintendo World in Manhattan, I saw an empty controller spot and took it. Then these 15-25 year olds who were playing said, "Get lost, kid, we don't need a 12 year old here." I said,"What, you're scared that a kid is going to beat you?" I ended up schooling them and I left saying,"And that's...... how it's done." Then they called other people to help them and called me back. I schooled them again, and they were speechless. They kept doing this, kept losing to me, and said, "Kid, you are a pro." It was hilarious.

Not bragging, just recalling a few of my favorite moments in Super Smash Brothers Melee.

Lunux
March 25th, 2007, 08:15 AM
I wish i went into a tournament of some kind to prove that i'm actually good at this game, because i am. all of my friends can try and try and even team up and not be able to win it. my absolute best character is Fox. Fox rack up damage fast on foes because of his small knock-back and while the enemy is still recovering he can swoop in and land another blow.

Destiny Hero - Dogma
March 25th, 2007, 04:59 PM

you can play SSBB on your Computer?:\

Forci Stikane
March 25th, 2007, 06:20 PM
you can play SSBB on your Computer?:\

*GASP* You have Super Smash Bros. Brawl!??

Heheh...

Yeah, it's called "Wi-Fi".

Kenny_C.002
March 25th, 2007, 07:16 PM
I wish i went into a tournament of some kind to prove that i'm actually good at this game, because i am. all of my friends can try and try and even team up and not be able to win it. my absolute best character is Fox. Fox rack up damage fast on foes because of his small knock-back and while the enemy is still recovering he can swoop in and land another blow.
Fox gets some of the most spectacular plays of all time, even though Falco tends to be more flashy under normal circumstances. Fox is the only guy who can WD --> DD --> WD --> WD --> Shine. Like seriously the other guy didn't know wtf's going on. He just saw a blur of Foxes everywhere. XD

Shiny Umbreon
March 28th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I play good (but I'm not the best) with Pikachu, Mario and Samus. I prefer Falco rather than Fox, but I'm not so good with either. I don't like slow characters (Bowser, Ganondorf) I can't control them, especially having gotten used to Pikachu.

Yoshistar64
April 5th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I read somewhere that speed characters are the best characters because they can dodge attacks well. In my opinion, Defensive ( aka all-around ) characters are the best because they can do damage fast, jump pretty well, and strike combos easily. Power characters can take a little getting used to, but they're fine for me.

Anyone know how to run backwards?

Lt. Surge's Raichu
April 5th, 2007, 11:34 AM
I usually play with Roy, Marth, Link or Pikachu

Masterpoke
April 6th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Love this game me and my friends play for hours on two player. I would have liked it better though if they had made Dark Link and Giga Bowser playable instead of just enemys.

Kenny_C.002
April 7th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Anyone know how to run backwards?

If by that you mean "moving quickly in a backwards direction for a short period of time while still be facing your enemy", then yes. If by literally running backwards, then no.

Yoshistar64
April 7th, 2007, 01:42 PM
If by that you mean "moving quickly in a backwards direction for a short period of time while still be facing your enemy", then yes. If by literally running backwards, then no.

Teach me how, please. I've seen videos of it, and I thought it was a bluff.

Kenny_C.002
April 7th, 2007, 07:32 PM
The simplest way of saying it is to hold diagonally down in the direction you want to move, then press jump and L (or R) right after. Timing for the L (or R) is different for each character, since their jumping responses and what not are different, and you have to get your timing right so you never leave the ground. You will know if you've done it if you see your character "slide". This technique is more obvious with Luigi, and is recommended that you start with him when you practice.

Welcome to the world of advance techniques. This move is called "wavedashing", shortened to "WD" (that I refer to all the time).

No, we don't joke when we say that most people here don't know any of this, and therefore aren't competitive. :3

Shift
April 7th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Shift loves SSBM. Shift defeats everybody in his neighborhood.

I love this game.. You dont want to fight my Marth =P

Shift would like to fight Bkue's Marth with Shift's Falco. Shift thinks Shift will own Bkue.

Yoshistar64
April 8th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Don't get too confident, Shift. You're the best in the neighborhood, so what? I have to back up what Arcanine said...

Anyway, thanks, Kenny. It worked something good. Now I'm gonna make my friend who wanted to do that jealous.

Kenny_C.002
April 8th, 2007, 07:19 PM
The hardest part of WDing is not knowing how it works, but how to incorporate it into your game. More importantly, learning how to unlearn previous knowledge of rolling, etc. is the hardest part of it all.

Esupio
April 9th, 2007, 01:42 AM
I know how to wavedash, but I don't do it much, mainly because like Kenny said, I just can't figure out a way to incorporate it into my game

Lt. Surge's Raichu
April 9th, 2007, 02:50 AM
Shift loves SSBM. Shift defeats everybody in his neighborhood.

Shift would like to fight Bkue's Marth with Shift's Falco. Shift thinks Shift will own Bkue.

Shift shouldn't be to sure about owning everyone in SSBM.
You haven't met Lt's Roy

Esupio
April 9th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Shift shouldn't be to sure about owning everyone in SSBM.
You haven't met Lt's Roy

You should be so sure about owning shift in SSBM

I have nothing more to say.

Kenny_C.002
April 9th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Well if Lt. knows his L-canceling suite and stuff, he would probably beat Shift. Certainly Roy players get more respect from me than Marth players anyway. XD

Yoshistar64
April 9th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Hey, don't judge him right away! And why do Roy's get more respect from you? That's not right! Saying "I can beat you all" make you flared up, which is funny.

.Bastion
April 9th, 2007, 07:37 PM
I could play this game for hours.

My best characters are probably Roy and Pikachu. I'm still learning the ups and downs of Roy, but I've got Pikachu down for the most part. Roy > Marth for me. I know he's not as fast but I like his strength and fire added attacks. =P

Kenny_C.002
April 10th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Hey, don't judge him right away! And why do Roy's get more respect from you? That's not right! Saying "I can beat you all" make you flared up, which is funny.

Judge who? Statistically speaking, a player who can L-cancel is better than a player who can't, few exceptions apply here.

And yeah because Roy players HAVE to L-cancel to be good. They can't rely on the potency of Marth to combo. They HAVE to know how to shuffle to play well, period. Marth players don't need these skills until they're at really high levels, in which Fox players would just pwn them if they don't know how do shuffle. In short, if you see a Roy player and a Marth player evenly matched, the Roy player is a better player than the Marth player most of the time.

And I got flared up?

Lt. Surge's Raichu
April 10th, 2007, 12:50 PM
You should be so sure about owning shift in SSBM

I have nothing more to say.

Is it really so wrong?

I'm just showing confidence such as shift does

Yoshistar64
April 10th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Judge who? Statistically speaking, a player who can L-cancel is better than a player who can't, few exceptions apply here.

And yeah because Roy players HAVE to L-cancel to be good. They can't rely on the potency of Marth to combo. They HAVE to know how to shuffle to play well, period. Marth players don't need these skills until they're at really high levels, in which Fox players would just pwn them if they don't know how do shuffle. In short, if you see a Roy player and a Marth player evenly matched, the Roy player is a better player than the Marth player most of the time.

And I got flared up?

What's L-canceling? Anyway, since I don't know what it is and I'm good. You can't "statistically speaking" say that L-cancelling people can school the rest. Don't get too cocky. No, you can't judge the player by the character. I'm a Mario. What do you say about that? Most people who are Fox can beat people easily.... where'd you learn that? I can easily school them! Finally, Roy=Marth, it just depends on the actual person's skill level. You're not the only pro here......

Kenny_C.002
April 13th, 2007, 07:51 AM
What's L-canceling? Anyway, since I don't know what it is and I'm good. You can't "statistically speaking" say that L-cancelling people can school the rest. Don't get too cocky. No, you can't judge the player by the character. I'm a Mario. What do you say about that? Most people who are Fox can beat people easily.... where'd you learn that? I can easily school them! Finally, Roy=Marth, it just depends on the actual person's skill level. You're not the only pro here......

L-cancelling is pressing L when you land after an aerial attack. Halves recovery time. The corrolary to that is float canceling from Peach.

"Good" is a relative term here. In my case, I don't consider myself "good" at all. It is, however, statistically speaking that those who know how to L-cancel spend a heck of a lot of time trying to get it down right. They are literally forced to practice for long periods of time so it comes out naturally. So statistically speaking, those that can L-cancel obviously have a lot more time practicing and training than those who can't, and simply the advantage given to players who can L-cancel vs. those who can't is just amplified when you take into account the training they have to go through.

And no, I can't judge the player accurately by who they play, but as long as you know which character they are using, and the skills required for using these characters effectively, you will know their relative skill level after knowing how they fare against certain matchups.

Foxes are arguably the best characters because they can pull off the sickest moves ever. It doesn't hurt that he's ultra fast, that he has THE move known as shine (highest priority in the game ftw), etc. Seriously, look at any good fox player and you can see why Fox is so darn good. The reason why you can beat many Fox players is because none of them can use Fox to his/her maximum potential (nor can pros, btw). Foxes are known to have the highest difficulty curves in the game, because everything has to be very precise with Fox. Normal players can only really take advantage of the fact that Foxes are fast...

And Roy<<<<<<<Marth. There's a reason why Marth is top tier and Roy isn't. Marth is much faster. Comboing with Marth is effortless (you don't really have to shuffle), whereas Roy players run on a tight schedule when trying to combo (they HAVE to shuffle). Heck, even chain throwing is more effortless with Marth...

Destiny Hero - Dogma
April 13th, 2007, 07:42 PM
*GASP* You have Super Smash Bros. Brawl!??

Heheh...

Yeah, it's called "Wi-Fi".

I wish I had it, but i don't have a wii yet. and yes i know what Wi-Fi is i find it funny.