PDA

View Full Version : [Tutorial] [Repost] Ruby Title Screen Editing

D-Trogh
March 12th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Yeah, so yesterday night I needed a CD for burning an .iso
I found a CD-RW in my back-pack so.. I was thinking of erasing that data on it..
Lucky enough I first checked what was on it ! :P
And yeah, I found this tutorial on it.. togheter with 3 others (Maybe I'll post then too)

It's from Phantom (You know him, right :) Don't know if he's still here)
Ok.. here it is !

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pokémon Ruby Title Screen Hacking
By: The Phantom ([email protected]) » MAYBE HE'LL ANSWER
http://aam.pokemods.mihopa.com/poke4yu » DOESN't WORK » DUH

I. Introduction
The contents of this page are base on what I have learnt from reading other files and messing with a hex editor...
I am not an expert, so don't take this page like ultimate source of knowlegde. This page discusses Pokémon
Ruby Title Screen only. This document may not be modified in any way without prior consent from the author.

II. Things you need
- TileMolester
- PokePic
- unLZ-GBA
- Pokémon Ruby US Rom
- Patience
*NOTE*
No, I won't send you the Rom or give you any links for it..

III. The Fun Starts Here
First of all, you have to find the part you want to change.. You can that with unLZ-GBA. If you don't know how
to use it, read the help file... Or you can use PokePic... In this tutorial, we will use PokePic.
So, open PokePic, load the Rom and go to Advanced. There you will see a simple screen with some commands
like: DumpRAW, InsertRAW etc.
Since I'm so good friend o.O, I will give you the offsets.. Now, type one of the following offsets and use the
DumpRAW command. All the offsets are in decimal..:
Ruby Version 15331280 - View it in 8bpp mode in TileMolester.
Pokémon 15325388 - View it in 8bpp mode in TileMolester.
2003 GameFreak 15324740 - View it in 8bpp mode in TileMolester.
Groudon 3748432 -View it in 4bpp linear, reverse-order in TileMolester.

Some people say that the hardest part is Groudon, but i find it no hard... I replaced Groudon with a guy in
my hack... Open it in TileMolester and set it to 4bpp linear. Here is an example:
http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/689/oldtitlefo2.png --> http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/4554/newtitlecr1.png
Was that hard? You just have to erase the old pic and draw the new one...
Now, for the version name... I find it hard, because I'm not that good artist, but what the hell, atleast
I changed it... So, insert 15331280 and dump raw image. Open it in TileMolester and set it to 8bpp
linear. Now you should see Ruby Version, but the colors are all messed up...So, you will have to deal
with the pallete... Man, I wish I wasn't this good.. Here (http://ds.npgm.nl/index.php?dir=Documents%20%7C%20Tutorials%20%7C%20Resources/&file=%5BRES%5D%20rubypal.zst)is the pallete.. Now load the pallete and the
everything will be ok. So, again, you just have to draw and nothing else... Example:
http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/4610/oldveroe9.png --> http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/6084/myverro3.png
Now, about the Press Start/GameFreak pic.. That's not hard at all, I think Ill just show you and skip
all the writing... Example:
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/9928/gamefreakaf3.png --> http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/5233/poke4yuzo8.png
As for the Pokémon part.. Well, insert 15325388 and dump raw. Open in TileMolester and set it to
8bpp linear. You'll have to load the pallete that I gave you and again draw... Example:
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/3755/pkmnorgbo6.png --> http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/3769/pkmnredryv2.png
And when you insert all those pictures (like all from this tutorial) in your Rom, you get yourself a
Title Screen.. Here is a Title Screen of my hack:
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/1113/friretadvrubyyk2.png

IV. Greets and Thanks
Entei107 - For getting the pallete
Mewthree9000 - For making the Ruby Pallete

V. Contact Info
NAME: The Phantom
EMAIL/MSN: [email protected] » MAYBE HE'LL ANSWER
WEBSITE: http://aam.pokemods.mihopa.com/poke4yu » DOESN't WORK » DUH
© 2000 – 2004 Poké4Yu Inc.

Martin Yiu
March 17th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Nice tut,bro, some parts may be also useful for LG/FR. I like it.

10/10 :D

And can you put also LG offsets for PokePic?

D-Trogh
March 18th, 2007, 03:09 AM
Nice tut,bro, some parts may be also useful for LG/FR. I like it.

10/10 :D

And can you put also LG offsets for PokePic?

Hehe, tnx.. but I didn't made it ^^
Err.. FR/LG DON'T work with PokéPic.. so there are no offsets..
For editing the FR/LG title screen you need to use UnLZ-GBA..
Maybe I'll translate a Spanish tutorial on editing the FR/LG Titlescreen ;)

Lyzo
March 18th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Does it work for emerald????

D-Trogh
March 18th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Does it work for emerald????

Djeezz.. Look in the topic title ! It's Ruby Titlse Screen Editing..
The Rayquaza in Emerald is a TileMap btw..

Pearlone
March 18th, 2007, 11:42 AM
I can't make the version of my hack its got crazy signs!

The Phantom
March 23rd, 2007, 02:29 AM
who would've guessed ill come back on pc one day.. :D
D-Trogh thx for posting my tut, long time since i wrote it.. (:
anyhow, it doesnt work with emerald, the offsets are different, and the rayquazza tile iz quite tricky to change q: ..maybe ill write some new tutorials and post them soon, maybe even a new site.. feel free to pm me if you need help (:

pokeplayer
March 24th, 2007, 01:05 AM
thanks man searched 3 different forums for this thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Djengo
March 24th, 2007, 02:36 AM
Terrific might do a ruby hack instead of my intentional fire red one but I really hae to ask with the red background that groudon would usually be on can u change the red part to different colours and like even put more pics there? I also had a slight issue adding a trainer where groudon would be, I got rid of groudon but i cant like open the trainer sprite in that program so uhh any advice?

The Phantom
March 24th, 2007, 07:20 AM
well ofc its possible, you can change the color if you know the color pointer.. you have to make sure the title you draw isnt bigger then the one you dumped.. and make sure you draw correctly, see how the groudon is drawed etc etc....

DracoMalfoy88
March 25th, 2007, 01:23 AM
Hey people I want to create an intro for Pokémon Ruby like this Click (http://shnet.4mak.net/Shnet/Pantallas.php) but i'm not able..someone can help me? I don't know to change the palette and the image if somehone can create an intro with this image http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/1098/moon111qf7.png I would be eternally pleasing

DracoMalfoy88
March 27th, 2007, 08:22 AM
up... hey people someone can help me??????? plssssss

DiamondDust
March 30th, 2007, 12:57 PM
This kinda goes off-topic but is there a tutorial you know that lets me know how to edit the stuff with TileMolester because I dunno how to change anything...?

The Phantom
April 4th, 2007, 04:55 AM
This kinda goes off-topic but is there a tutorial you know that lets me know how to edit the stuff with TileMolester because I dunno how to change anything...?

just open your rom in tm and find the pics that are not compressed.. thats not so hard to do.. and for pokepics and title images, use unlz to uncompress and edit..

DiamondDust
April 6th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Is it supposed to be black & white? (Groudon and the picture you're gonna replace it with.)

The Phantom
April 6th, 2007, 11:05 AM
well, depends on what pallete you choose when you dump the title.. it doesnt really matter what collor is when you dump it, just make sure you use the same pallete etc...

home32
April 9th, 2007, 10:47 AM
whenever i import anything back into pokepic it says the compressed size is ****** and it is too big it does this with everything even if i just exported it and when i load the rom it's just a white screen help plz??

The Phantom
April 9th, 2007, 11:42 AM
whenever i import anything back into pokepic it says the compressed size is ****** and it is too big it does this with everything even if i just exported it and when i load the rom it's just a white screen help plz??

well then, make sure you draw correctly and the file is the same size.. experiment a little (:

home32
April 9th, 2007, 11:57 AM
it was the exact same size if not smaller its doing this with all dumps even the ones i didn't even touch

Skullmonkey_Gaming
April 16th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Hey nice tut but I open up unlz-GBA and find my image and note the offset...but it's in HEX format is there any way to translate that into dec?

The Phantom
April 17th, 2007, 01:22 AM
well, you can use windoz calc in scientific mode.. :D or you can just convert it manually..

Skullmonkey_Gaming
April 17th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Thanks that worked!

Now onto making my screen!

shadowboy166
June 8th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Hi, whenever i edit the "ruby version" my pokemon and "ruby version" get all random colours on them.Am i doing anything wrong?

The Phantom
June 8th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Hi, whenever i edit the "ruby version" my pokemon and "ruby version" get all random colours on them.Am i doing anything wrong?

well, you probably are doing something wrong.. make sure you are using the right pallete and.. dunno, same byte size etc..

jack276
June 19th, 2007, 05:55 AM
thanks for the tutorial, it made things alot easier. now all i need is some drawing skills

gag15
June 22nd, 2007, 12:39 PM
i know this might be alot to ask for but can u get me the codes for sapphire if u can if not that is ok!

The Phantom
June 22nd, 2007, 01:34 PM
Kyogre offset: 3748320 (dec)
try these:
Pokémon 15325388 (dec) - E9D8CC (hex)
2003 GameFreak 15324740 (dec) - E9D644 (hex)
Nintenco Copy. 15320984 (dec) - E9C798 (hex)
Ruby Version 15331280 (dec) - E9EFD0 (hex)
they are for ruby but i guess its the same.. sry, i dont have the rom, this is from my old tuts i wrote few years ago XD
btw.. open kyogre in tile editor (i prefer tilemolester) and put the codec to ..4bpp linear reverse-order..
and others are 8bpp..
thats that i guess :D

sal33092
June 22nd, 2007, 10:46 PM
i edited everything and did everything the tutorial did but after i import i load up the rom and it doesnt show the things i drew it shows the same ruby title .
and im sure i saved my drawings to the dump, then imported.
what do u think i should do ??

gag15
June 23rd, 2007, 08:18 AM
Kyogre offset: 3748320 (dec)
try these:
Pokémon 15325388 (dec) - E9D8CC (hex)
2003 GameFreak 15324740 (dec) - E9D644 (hex)
Nintenco Copy. 15320984 (dec) - E9C798 (hex)
Ruby Version 15331280 (dec) - E9EFD0 (hex)
they are for ruby but i guess its the same.. sry, i dont have the rom, this is from my old tuts i wrote few years ago XD
btw.. open kyogre in tile editor (i prefer tilemolester) and put the codec to ..4bpp linear reverse-order..
and others are 8bpp..
thats that i guess :D

ok thx u very much ill try it out

The Phantom
June 23rd, 2007, 01:20 PM
i edited everything and did everything the tutorial did but after i import i load up the rom and it doesnt show the things i drew it shows the same ruby title .
and im sure i saved my drawings to the dump, then imported.
what do u think i should do ??

maybe you didnt compress it back to the rom.. what progz are you using..? i should work, you probably didnt save the changes good

D-Trogh
June 24th, 2007, 04:26 AM
Er... If you guys are interested.. I made a new tutorial yesterday.
Now you need to use unLZ-GBA and TileMolester.
It's in Dutch, but if you want to see: Click (http://www.pokemongemmine.nl/viewgameinfo.php?i=649)

The Phantom
June 25th, 2007, 03:05 AM
heh.. nice one q: well, there still might be people that need it.. not counting myself there :D

gag15
June 25th, 2007, 10:00 AM
yeah it dont work the pictures werent as clear as urs if u messed with the settings with tilemolester plz share!
plz and thx u

D-Trogh
June 25th, 2007, 01:39 PM
yeah it dont work the pictures werent as clear as urs if u messed with the settings with tilemolester plz share!
plz and thx uSo.. the pic is messed up in TM ?
Then you haven't seen this (http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/3280/codecchangeoc3.png) picture in the Dutch tutorial ;)

The Phantom
June 25th, 2007, 01:41 PM
xaxa.. that is optional.. 8bpp mode... q:

gag15
June 25th, 2007, 04:21 PM
the dutch version rocks cause it is more detial and shows pics! but mo hard fellings phontom just add detial step-by-step insturctions. urs was good but wasnt detialed but good job for them both and they both work with ruby and sapphire.

so credit to me! just kidding! lol! only if u want to!

D-Trogh
June 26th, 2007, 12:05 AM
When more people would like the Dutch version translated, I may do it ;)
Just send a PM

The Phantom
June 27th, 2007, 04:27 AM
xaxa.. right.. well, it was long time ago since i wrote it, and i kind of wrote it for myself (lol) tho there are different methods about it etc etc blabla.. i dont plan to rewrite it anyhow so.. XD

legends
July 7th, 2007, 08:04 AM
uhh,this can he handy for anyone who wants to make a ruby hack really :)
thanks for the document

AussieMau
July 11th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Im having a problem with editing the Ruby Virsion tile.
when i use TileMolester and use the ruby pallet it turns out saying ruby version in black and wight but its very jumbled is that normal or have i done something wrong.
in the tutt it dosent look jumbled.
sory i cant past a pic because i dont have 15 posts yet.

The Phantom
July 14th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Im having a problem with editing the Ruby Virsion tile.
when i use TileMolester and use the ruby pallet it turns out saying ruby version in black and wight but its very jumbled is that normal or have i done something wrong.
in the tutt it dosent look jumbled.
sory i cant past a pic because i dont have 15 posts yet.

are you sure u got your codec to 8bpp..? because it really shouldn't mess it up.. tho "ruby version" is black and white q:

AussieMau
July 15th, 2007, 08:11 PM
yes it is black and white and i have it on 8bpp linear because for some reson maby its the virsion of TileMolester i have it dosent have just plane 8bpp.

glenmont9413
July 17th, 2007, 08:13 PM
does anyone no where i can get the pokemon sapphire pallete???
i tried searching for it and i cant find it???

glenmont9413
July 17th, 2007, 08:15 PM
ok thx u very much ill try it out
is it 8bpp linear or planar???

Cheater388
July 22nd, 2007, 04:43 AM
I'm getting a visual problem on my Ruby dump when I change the intro.

{see attachment}

That yellow thing in the middle of nowhere is associated with the "Ruby Version" title screen because it drops from behind the missing "Pokémon" Logo.

I have blanked out the Pokémon and ruby version titles; 15331280 and 15325388 are all black.

What the heck is that yellow garbage and how do I remove it? Is it my dump (it has a stupid "Mugs presents" thing in the beginning)?

D-Trogh
July 23rd, 2007, 05:20 AM
Those "Mugs-intros" are really anoying.. I don't think it's due to that, but you should download an other ROM though ^^
Well, sometimes it happens with other sprites too.. that you get glitchy-things at the bottom..
Anyway, that text you see is "Push Start".. Are you sure you deleted that too ?

jimmcass
July 28th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Thanks This helped but now that i have extracted the image and edited it how do I add it back to the game (merge the new pic to the rom) because its just a seperate gba file?

Darkrai64
July 30th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Where do I download tile molester? I downloaded it from somewhere, and there was no program.

Draein
July 30th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Can someone help me ?
I did this up to where I edited the "RUBY VERSION" bit and this happened.

img257.imageshack.us/img257/8976/titledarkmoonerrorwj3.png

Black Lugia
July 30th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Have you ever heard the frase, "TRY MAKING YOUR TUTORIALS FOR PEOPLE WHO ARENT PROFESSINAL HACKERS AND MAKE YOUR TURTOIRALS EASYIER TO UNDERSTAND!!" ya you probly heard that fraze about 1million times cuz ur turtorials stink! Well, they stink for statring hackers, but if your a professinal pokemon hacker nutt aholic its perfect for those kinda guys..

D-Trogh
July 31st, 2007, 06:40 AM
1. Don't double post
2. Mind your language.. n00b - -' *reported*
3. I didn't made that first tutorial
4. Almost every tutorial is made FOR newbs, advanced hackers don't need tutorials, they make them.
5. Get out of my thread..

shadowboy166
July 31st, 2007, 08:36 AM
Have you ever heard the frase, "TRY MAKING YOUR TUTORIALS FOR PEOPLE WHO ARENT PROFESSINAL HACKERS AND MAKE YOUR TURTOIRALS EASYIER TO UNDERSTAND!!" ya you probly heard that fraze about 1million times cuz ur turtorials stink! Well, they stink for statring hackers, but if your a professinal pokemon hacker nutt aholic its perfect for those kinda guys..

This tutorial deosn't stink!
I did it when i first started hacking and it worked perfectly!
Oh and don't double post! Advanced hackers don't use tutorials do they?!? Do you see hackers like Zel going "Oh thanks for this tutorial i didn't know how to do this but now i do" ?
Do you? NO!!!!!!!
I found this easy to understand so next time you post don't double post and think about what you post first!

Naoshi
July 31st, 2007, 08:43 AM

...I'm not professional at hacking but I can atleast understand the tutorial.:\

shadowboy166
July 31st, 2007, 09:49 AM
...I'm not professional at hacking but I can atleast understand the tutorial.:\

Thank you! Just a bit of proof you don't need to know much about hacking to get this tutorial. I didn't when i tried this and it worked fine.

jdogpwnz
July 31st, 2007, 09:23 PM
please somone hlep me because when ever i try to insert my backround, it said somthing like this,
"compress size is: 653. Which is bigger then the space use to be.
Really Insert?" i Didnt know what to do so i pressed "yes" And whenever i try to play that certain rom, it is a blank white screen and nothing happpends Can any1 tell me what to do? If you can plz try to ~~~~PM~~~~~ me and if you cant just leave a comment and i will be truly greatful thanks!

D-Trogh
August 1st, 2007, 12:33 AM
When your edited image is bigger then the original, UnLZ-GBA Auto-aborts if that function is checked.
This is for your own good.. when you want to insert your (bigger) image you need to repoint it.
To do so, look for some free space in your ROM (FFs, 00s) and write down the offset.
In UnLZ-GBA, when you push "Write to ROM" make sure you use these (http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/59/saveni2.png) settings. (Only mind the red things..)
[00800000 = an example = the free-space offset]

Test your ROM after you did this and it should work normally..

bobbob
August 1st, 2007, 12:48 AM
excellent thanks for the tut

Hiroshi Sotomura
August 1st, 2007, 03:07 AM
For the record, Black Lugia, any unnecessary comments like that and you can be warned on flaming/SPAM offences. If you have trouble understanding the tutorial, why don't you ask step by step rather than make such a post?

jdogpwnz
August 1st, 2007, 04:43 PM
thanks you really helepd alot!

Konekodemon
August 4th, 2007, 03:12 PM
where am i supposed to go to get those things i need to do this

johnnysasaki
August 6th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Is emerald the same as ruby? I thinking about starting a new project with emerald.

Konekodemon
August 6th, 2007, 12:24 PM
uh, am i being ingored here

boon
August 10th, 2007, 04:05 AM
Well, can somebody help me out?
I tried to change the version name and it didnt work.
instead of "pokemon --- version" it showed somthing unknown.
--thank you very much if you'll help.

Epsilon
August 11th, 2007, 02:03 AM
The link is not working,
kan je het alssjeblieft op megaupload uploaden?

Quilava's Master
August 14th, 2007, 08:15 AM
can anyone direct me to a pokemon sapphire pallet

Konekodemon
August 15th, 2007, 05:38 PM
I can't get TileMolester to open up, it keeps on trying to open it up as a document, my computer won't let me open it as a file

KoolGamesX
August 18th, 2007, 01:31 PM
how do you add the pictures to your rom?

You need to download JAVA....Go to the website!

J00N45
August 19th, 2007, 05:18 AM
Thanks! This help me alot! Thanks!

O.G. Duke
August 20th, 2007, 05:49 PM
I cant use the TileMolester..I downloaded it and nothing that can open it...It just have a winrar file and others things...How to open?
And is there any program that can replace the Tilemolester?

D-Trogh
August 21st, 2007, 01:22 AM
I cant use the TileMolester..I downloaded it and nothing that can open it...It just have a winrar file and others things...How to open?
And is there any program that can replace the Tilemolester?Open WinRAR, and fo the following:
"Options-Preferences-Integration" and UNCHECK the following in "Associate WinRAR with":
- "JAR"
- "ISO" (Probably this is checked too.. so now you're here, uncheck it.
Now save the changes (OK) and close WinRAR..
Try to open TileMolester again. and see what happens.

If you have more problems, ask your question HERE (http://pkmncommunity.com/showthread.php?t=79614).
This is to ALL people that ask not-tutorial-related questions here..

PS: My WinRAR description may be wrong translated, I use the Dutch WinRAR.

SilverPlatinum
August 21st, 2007, 07:50 AM
nice tutorial but ive seen better

the3rdhardyboy
August 26th, 2007, 10:16 PM
when i load my raw dump itstead of black and whit elike yours mine has alot off diffrent corlours like yellow blue light red light brown brown etc but i can still see the picture but i want blac and white

when i load my raw dump itstead of black and whit elike yours mine has alot off diffrent corlours like yellow blue light red light brown brown etc but i can still see the picture but i want blac and white

(edit: id thought i start with somthing easy i edite dsomething off the raw dump now i loa drom nothing wa dchanged then i noticed insertraw i tried inserting my rawdump and still nothing happend but a stupid sharing violation why does all the luck happen to he good hackers

NTA
March 22nd, 2008, 01:04 AM
something is wrong with the link

D-Trogh
March 22nd, 2008, 03:17 AM
something is wrong with the linkIf you mean the palette-link.. FIXED

Hardy Har Har
April 13th, 2008, 11:22 PM
can this work on pokemon sapphire?

Toorchic
April 15th, 2008, 08:23 AM
thank you, this is very helpful

Hardy Har Har
April 18th, 2008, 03:45 AM
is there any other way aside from this to edit the title screen of ruby?