PDA

View Full Version : No Story?

lemon99
March 31st, 2007, 07:52 PM
People told me that there is no story in Pokemon: BR, is that true?
because i love the story in COllsuem and XD.

wakachamo
April 1st, 2007, 08:22 AM
Nope, no story. Battle Revolution isn't considered to be a Colloseum-like game, but more like a port from the N64 games, Stadium. Remember when you just imported your GB Pokémon over to the N64 and battle? Yeah, that's pretty much it.

Ethan621
April 1st, 2007, 09:49 AM
Cept now its purdier and has online. The online is whats making me salivate.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
April 1st, 2007, 02:10 PM
which makes the game a little less exciting in my opinion, but there is wifi connection which makes it a little better, I wish it still were to be like Colosseum and XD

:t354:~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~

wakachamo
April 1st, 2007, 05:32 PM
which makes the game a little less exciting in my opinion, but there is wifi connection which makes it a little better, I wish it still were to be like Colosseum and XD

Well, Stadium was the same and it didn't stop it from selling like mad crazy delicious hotcakes.

Besides, we shouldn't even consider it game, but more of a 3D version of battling with your D/P creatures online.

Ethan621
April 1st, 2007, 05:48 PM
I'd rather them put their efforts into a really cool-looking, great-working title that has solid online capabilities over a lackluster rehash of a Gamecube game with an equally lackluster story.

One thing at a time folks. We'll get a story mode on the next one.

lemon99
April 3rd, 2007, 09:30 AM
i guess they might have mini game like pokemon statium 1 :/

Blank
April 3rd, 2007, 11:52 AM
D: Oh wow. If it seriously is more like Stadium 1 and 2, I might actually think of getting a Wii. How I loved those games, and was severely disappointed with Colosseum. Those mini-games in Stadium were so awesome. <3
It would be even better I think, if it was like a MMORPG. Hahaha, it would probably devour souls if that were so.

wakachamo
April 3rd, 2007, 12:17 PM
Don't get overly excited though. XD PBR doesn't feature minigames.

Lunux
April 3rd, 2007, 01:47 PM
GGRRR! i loved those mini-games! but i do like the fact that you can transfer from GBA and maybe the ds most likely. pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 were awesome and i too was disappointed by Colloseum. XD was a bit better.

Blank
April 3rd, 2007, 01:48 PM
That's depressing. Guess I'll just mooch off my friend's copy then. Bwaha..

sam@strand
April 13th, 2007, 07:32 AM
I loved the N64 stadium games they were brilliant, and if I remember correctly there was no story to them either. Just because it wont have a story doesn't mean it's going to be rubbish.

Aether
April 13th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Actually, there is a story, it's just 2 words, "Own everybody."

Shiny Umbreon
April 13th, 2007, 05:05 PM
I've said this many times: If you want a story, buy Diamond or Pearl. Pokémon games on home consoles are principally made for better graphics, and they add stuff like the Cups and Leaders Castle.

acrof
April 13th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Pokémon games on home consoles are principally made for better graphics
The problem is that the graphics aren´t so good like that too...

Death Rogers
April 14th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Meh. I wasn't really expecting a story.

But the only reson Collesseum had a story was so that you can obtain the Johto starters and some other Johto Pokemon like Houndoom as well as some really rare Hoenn Pokemon like Absol. The only reason XD was made was because people demanded a sequel.

wakachamo
April 14th, 2007, 08:44 AM

Priceless quote. XD

I've said this many times: If you want a story, buy Diamond or Pearl. Pokémon games on home consoles are principally made for better graphics, and they add stuff like the Cups and Leaders Castle.

Exactly. The GBA and DS games are there for a purpose. The Pokémon games for home consoles are just as, say, an "extension" to the portable frenzy.

The problem is that the graphics aren´t so good like that too...

Can you prove it? Do you really want Pokémon to look realistic as hell? I'm not sure, but doing a huge step like that certainly isn't good for the fanbase, and they had that in mind.

UnHoly
April 14th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Hmm, online Battle Revolution with my D/P Pokemon. Who needs a story line now.

Lihinel
April 14th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Ok so NO Storyline (like Colloseum or XD) and NO Minigames (like Stadium)?

This sucks...

acrof
April 14th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Can you prove it?
I created a topic about that! XD

Do you really want Pokémon to look realistic as hell? I'm not sure, but doing a huge step like that certainly isn't good for the fanbase, and they had that in mind.
No, but think about it, using Pokemon Stadium 3D models in a Wii game is ridiculous. (it´s similar to put Gold/Silver sprites in Diamond/Pearl games)
And besides Zelda fans don´t wanted Link to be realistic as hell,
but now they love the new realistic Link!

Ok so NO Storyline (like Colloseum or XD) and NO Minigames (like Stadium)?

This sucks...

There´s a lack of many features but looks like a good game, but i bet
you´ll get tired of it fast because of the lack of features.

Drifblim
April 14th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Okay. The Stadium series did have some story credential to them if you consider Gym Leader Castle. I'm of the supposition that Battle Revolution will have a similar format, making it an update of Stadium to Diamond and Pearl standards.

pokejungle
April 15th, 2007, 01:02 AM
Personally, I'm VERY happy we're returning back to no story. It's extremely good to go back to the Stadium roots and focus on multiplayer.

That's always a good sign for console games. That are for Pokemon Battling.

acrof
April 15th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Personally, I'm VERY happy we're returning back to no story. It's extremely good to go back to the Stadium roots and focus on multiplayer.

But what about those who don´t have a wi-fi connection? Or someone near by to play with you?

The same happens to Stadium series, if u don´t have someone to play with you, you´ll get sick and tired of the game really fast.

I´m not against a multiplayer game, I kinda like them, but it´s important to give an second option to players, on-line or off-line? (for those who like to play alone, for those who like to play RPGs and for those who can´t buy a wireless adapter)
Some people will not buy PBR because they don´t have a wi-fi adapter at home.

For me, this game is a failure.
(try harder next time Game Freak...)

XBlaze
April 16th, 2007, 08:59 AM
What's so bad about an all online game?
I take that back since you don't have to play it online.

In my opinion, this game looks awesome.

Always and Never
April 16th, 2007, 06:00 PM
This is where Nintendo really messes up. They should make a flow-blown 3d pokemon game. Not like colleseum which is like battle after battle and not like pokemon stadium which is like just battling. They should have gym leaders, everything that a pokemon game has. That would simply be amazing.

Ixa-chan
April 19th, 2007, 05:32 AM
No story? That's bad news.. Oh, Nintendo is getting lazy..

Drew
April 19th, 2007, 06:23 AM
... >> Which means it won't be as amusing for me because I won't be able to go online, or do the Wifi, unless it automatically comes with the Wii.

Because I can't afford to buy a Wifi connection... x__x

Lunux
April 19th, 2007, 02:14 PM
it would be extremely convinient if the WiFi adapter came with the Wii. i'm sorry it just doesn't happen. when they're selling the wii they are basically saying "Get everything else on your own...literally" it really sucks that i don't have WiFi for that reason.

wakachamo
April 19th, 2007, 03:45 PM
No story? That's bad news.. Oh, Nintendo is getting lazy..

No, they're not being lazy. Did you start whining when they didn't implement a story in Stadium? I think not.

Alakazam rocks
April 20th, 2007, 10:58 AM
I think no story is cool coz theres nothing stopping from doing whatever you want whenever you want

wakachamo
April 20th, 2007, 11:07 AM
I think no story is cool coz theres nothing stopping from doing whatever you want whenever you want
Exactly. IMO PBR is just supposed to be a 3D, and fully online extension to D/P. Nothing else.

Regi DS
April 20th, 2007, 06:18 PM
I see no point in having a story in PBR ;playing through the stories of Colloseum/XD was pointless unless you wanted pokemon with unusual moves.

PBR seems to emphasize more on battling than anything else, and they did a much better job at making it look pretty. So yeah, Wifi looks totally awesome and stuff

beauty. proletariat
April 20th, 2007, 08:10 PM
No story line just means you get to be more of the boss than normal... I really dont like games with story lines... - pokemon games = one exception -

acrof
April 22nd, 2007, 08:31 AM
No, they're not being lazy. Did you start whining when they didn't implement a story in Stadium? I think not.
But that was almost 10 years ago!!!!!!!!!
And in a system with low storage capacity, the nintendo 64,
it´s cartridges can´t handle a story mode, so that´s just an excuse...

But now we are talking about the Wii, wich is 3 times more powerful than a GameCube!
And using normal sized DVD discs it can store 3 times more data than a GameCube´s mini DVD. (A Nintendo 64 cartridge could handle 64 megabytes and the normal DVD [wich PBR is using] can handle about 6000 megabytes!:knockedou )

BUT, nintendo is stll using 3D models from Stadium series for the old pokemons (it´s an insult for the veterans who liked the very first pokemons, to see their loved pokemons with Stadium 1 graphics) , didn´t include a story mode, and also didn´t include ANY feature for the Wii-mote, wich is the more important part of the Wii.

Sassafras
April 26th, 2007, 02:21 AM
I dont really mind the lack of story. Thats what D/P is for. I wass just hoping for cell shaded graphics for some reason....
oh well.

Midnight_Dragon249
April 30th, 2007, 04:59 AM
For whoever said they're just using the same graphics~ look here (http://serebii.net/picture-anime.php?battle/pikamunch3.jpg).

It's from serebii.net. It's the same model, but they've redone the skin on the models (the bare wire-frames are the same, but the final product has been upgraded a bit) if you ask me.

I like the storyless games more than the GC ones, simply because I like seeing everything in 3D.

Luminous_Reaver
May 1st, 2007, 07:14 AM
What if they have some sort of secret "Play Diamond and Pearl but with spiffy 3D models on your big TV" mode. Like that Dugtrio Tower or whatever.

thepog
May 6th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Nope No storyline like pkmn stadium

GrieVelorn
May 6th, 2007, 03:16 PM
aww i kindof wished there would be a story line but beggers cant be choosers

Typhlosion King
May 12th, 2007, 09:07 AM
This sucks. I was kinda hoping for a story mode or something.

Frugget
May 17th, 2007, 03:34 AM
I think it would be cool, y'know? catching some fresh, pixellated pokemon on the handheld, plugging them in, and watching them fight in full 3D.

Shiny Umbreon
May 20th, 2007, 05:14 PM
But that was almost 10 years ago!!!!!!!!!
And in a system with low storage capacity, the nintendo 64,
it´s cartridges can´t handle a story mode, so that´s just an excuse...

But now we are talking about the Wii, wich is 3 times more powerful than a GameCube!
And using normal sized DVD discs it can store 3 times more data than a GameCube´s mini DVD. (A Nintendo 64 cartridge could handle 64 megabytes and the normal DVD [wich PBR is using] can handle about 6000 megabytes!:knockedou )

BUT, nintendo is stll using 3D models from Stadium series for the old pokemons (it´s an insult for the veterans who liked the very first pokemons, to see their loved pokemons with Stadium 1 graphics) , didn´t include a story mode, and also didn´t include ANY feature for the Wii-mote, wich is the more important part of the Wii.

Why do everyone starts complaining about BR having no story WHEN D/P HAS JUST BEEN RELEASED!!!! Games with story are for the handheld. No other game for Pokémon should be made except for the Stadium-like ones. And they should NOT include any storyline because they are just made to have better graphics than your handheld and to add more serious trainers (the cups, gym leader castle, whatever)

About the N64 models, that's totally inacceptable. Just because graphics doesn't affect gameplay, it doesn't mean you shouldn't do new ones. However, Pokémon can't look better than in GCN (I mean the R/S/E ones). About the storyline, again, no storyline is better. About the features for the Wii-mote. That's ridiculous! Pokémon is just selecting attacks and waiting. if it's not like that, it's not Pokémon.

ToraSushii
May 20th, 2007, 06:55 PM
I would care much. I mean it's LIKE the Stadiums. THE best of the 3D Pokemon RPGs.
Minus the mini-games and the ability to battle the Sinnoh leaders and to play D/P on the game. :P

AND I HAVE SEEN THE ARCANINE. IT LOOKS DREADFUL.

Swimmer♂
May 21st, 2007, 08:41 AM
I'm skeptic- at the moment. But, i'm sure when BR is released in the UK, i will be praising its awesomeness and asking around for friend codes, of however the wifi thing is going to work. I bet this site will have a massive database for friend codes too, just like diamond and pearl, so i can get some more people to battle and keep me entertained! I also looked on serebii- the trainer customization looks amazing!

Cross
May 21st, 2007, 10:42 AM
There's no story, but does that make it a bad game? Most Sports involved games don't have a story, just a goal. Most snowboarding games don't have a story, you just have to double flip twice down the hill.

It's never been no story that makes a bad game. It's gameplay.

CyberCyndaquil
May 21st, 2007, 08:18 PM
it would have been much better with a story as well....:(

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
May 25th, 2007, 03:21 PM
There's no story, but does that make it a bad game? Most Sports involved games don't have a story, just a goal. Most snowboarding games don't have a story, you just have to double flip twice down the hill.

It's never been no story that makes a bad game. It's gameplay.

well that is true though, and sometimes the story can be really crappy though

wmoor0826
May 28th, 2007, 08:09 PM
I created a topic about that! XD

No, but think about it, using Pokemon Stadium 3D models in a Wii game is ridiculous. (it´s similar to put Gold/Silver sprites in Diamond/Pearl games)
And besides Zelda fans don´t wanted Link to be realistic as hell,
but now they love the new realistic Link!

There´s a lack of many features but looks like a good game, but i bet
you´ll get tired of it fast because of the lack of features.

Actuallly, zelda fans have loved the realistic link since it was shown. And every1 still likes it

acrof
May 30th, 2007, 05:03 AM
About the features for the Wii-mote. That's ridiculous! Pokémon is just selecting attacks and waiting. if it's not like that, it's not Pokémon.
Wouldn´t you like to trow your pokeball the way you wanted, using the wii-mote?:badsmile: I would!;)

CloneD_Darkrai
May 30th, 2007, 05:37 AM
Story dosn't really matter to me...
But I would like those lost stadium features...
They should have a game where after you send out your pokemon, you play as it durring the battle. And a 3D walk around, but no stupid air bike throught the desert.
Oh well, it would cost to much and be outa stock too quick...

Frugget
June 9th, 2007, 07:20 PM
it's just your decison, really, whether you want an alternate battle system with 3d pokemons for the same price as the actual game, which includes story, wi-fi, and portability. i'm going to get it, though. i got wii for the new super smash bros. game, this is just a bonus.:rambo:

Brinn
June 15th, 2007, 05:06 AM
you do not need a story in this game. all you need is a play to hold world tornies.

SBaby
June 15th, 2007, 02:37 PM
As I've said many times, fans of RPGs expect there to be a story in a game. And if there's no story, they aren't gonna buy it.

I am NOT gonna spend 50 bucks on a role-playing game that has no story in it.

Diamond and Pearl are great games that actually HAVE a story (albeit the same one as all the other Pokemon games). And since this game is on a next-gen system, there is just no excuse.

kohei
June 15th, 2007, 06:11 PM
It's like Quake 3. Despite being a game made for MULTIKIlL! HEADSHOT! GODLIKE! BEYOND GODLIKE SOMEONE KILL HIM!-ing your friends, it sold quite well.

Basically, my point is: PBR=Q3A, thus online fun. Who needs a story when you can fight random people?

SBaby
June 15th, 2007, 09:19 PM
It's like Quake 3. Despite being a game made for MULTIKIlL! HEADSHOT! GODLIKE! BEYOND GODLIKE SOMEONE KILL HIM!-ing your friends, it sold quite well.

Basically, my point is: PBR=Q3A, thus online fun. Who needs a story when you can fight random people?

It's sort of a moot point relating a Shooter to a Role Playing Game though. And relating Pokemon to an 'M' rated game is even moreso. Plus, people who buy shooters expect the gameplay to be like that. If I wanted a game solely for multiplayer, I'd play Yuri's Revenge. Does that make it the same as Battle Revolution? No. And to be fair, I'll retract this statement the second I see someone's head get blown off in Pokemon.

Now, onto the other thing. This is the Wii, a next-gen system. There is still no excuse for not having a story in the game. They could've done like the Colosseum games and had a story mode. It wouldn't have had to be that great, but just something. No, there's no excuse for that.

GIVEMEDARKRAI
June 15th, 2007, 09:37 PM
All I Want To Do Is Kick Some 3d But, Also Most Of The Stories Such As Diamonds And Pearls Are Very Easy Plus If There Is A Story For Pkmn Br Then It Will Take Longer To Get The Diamond And Pearl Pkmn Up There

Ichida
June 15th, 2007, 09:44 PM
As I've said many times, fans of RPGs expect there to be a story in a game. And if there's no story, they aren't gonna buy it.

I am NOT gonna spend 50 bucks on a role-playing game that has no story in it.

Diamond and Pearl are great games that actually HAVE a story (albeit the same one as all the other Pokemon games). And since this game is on a next-gen system, there is just no excuse.

*is an RPG fan*

*knows PBR has no story*

*has pre-ordered PBR*

*Pities you for being so shallow*

People, there's one thing you have to realize. PBR is NOT an RPG. It's a battling game. All you do is battle to earn more chances to battle. And yet, we're still buying it. Why? Well, for me, it's a chance for my team to kick random trainer ass in beautiful three-dimensional environments with excellent visual effects, and WITHOUT having to actually talk to random n00bsp33king kids on forums like this or getting their friend codes only to clutter up your list. 32 isn't enough for someone active like me.

GIVEMEDARKRAI
June 15th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Exactly Ichida This Is What Pbr Is Supposed To Do I Just Hope No One Uses Hacked Stats Pokemon

SBaby
June 15th, 2007, 09:49 PM
*is an RPG fan*
People, there's one thing you have to realize. PBR is NOT an RPG. It's a battling game. All you do is battle to earn more chances to battle. And yet, we're still buying it. Why? Well, for me, it's a chance for my team to kick random trainer ass in beautiful three-dimensional environments with excellent visual effects, and WITHOUT having to actually talk to random n00bsp33king kids on forums like this or getting their friend codes only to clutter up your list. 32 isn't enough for someone active like me.

Well, I can't really argue with the Friend Codes thing that the DS uses. It's just ---. Plus, it's the biggest gimmick ever seen in a video game or system since needing a Genesis, a Sega CD, and a 32X (three systems) to play Sega CDX games. I won't argue with you there.

But the point still remains, with a next-gen system, it shouldn't be that hard to incorporate a story. I mean, I could do it.

GIVEMEDARKRAI
June 15th, 2007, 09:52 PM
I Still Say A Story Would Mess Up The Game With One People Would Take Days Just To Actually Beat Thew Storyline Unless Your Like Me

Ichida
June 15th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Before I reply, I'd like to reaffirm that I am an avid RPG gamer and I do enjoy good game storylines. However, Pokemon is a different situation entirely.

Hardcore Pokemon players like me aren't concerned with the story. Pokemon games' stories have never been that interesting. That's why it's marketed as a children's game; most kids are easily amused. They beat Dialga/Palkia and think they're a great hero who saved all of time and space. As if the very next trainer that kid fought couldn't have done the same thing. I got to the Elite Four three days after the game came out. The whole story to me was just a formality so I could start Pal Parking, building my collector's empire, and start breeding battle teams. For me, it's all about victory. (y)

GIVEMEDARKRAI
June 15th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Ichida You And Me Are Very Much Alike I Agree With You 100%

Superkid11
June 16th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Well, I can't really argue with the Friend Codes thing that the DS uses. It's just ---. Plus, it's the biggest gimmick ever seen in a video game or system since needing a Genesis, a Sega CD, and a 32X (three systems) to play Sega CDX games. I won't argue with you there.

But the point still remains, with a next-gen system, it shouldn't be that hard to incorporate a story. I mean, I could do it.
It's not that they thought they COULDN'T it's that they chose not to, just to emphasize on the battling.

The only Pokemon game for the Wii I'd like with a story is a sequal to Hey You Pikachu... except you actually get to play as Pikachu instead of being a trainer walking around petting it or speaking to it.
They created an interesting world in HYP and Pokemon Channel and it'd be fun to walk through it unrestrained as Pikachu; zapping enimies and collecting things, playing games, and just having a lot of fun along the way. Kind of a Mario/DK64-esque kind of thing but that's what I'd like.

kohei
June 16th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Exactly Ichida This Is What Pbr Is Supposed To Do I Just Hope No One Uses Hacked Stats Pokemon
The good news is, hacked Pokemon with stupidly high/impossible stats get bounced when you try to transfer them.
The bad news is, any hacked Pokemon that seems legit (ahem 31 IV to all stats) will not.

SBaby
June 16th, 2007, 10:04 AM
It's not that they thought they COULDN'T it's that they chose not to, just to emphasize on the battling.

That's all well and good, but let me put it into perspective for you.

Ever since the Wii came out, I've been waiting for a Pokemon game to come out for it (as I'm sure many of you have too). I figured that since it was taking so long, they were just taking their time on it, so I was like, 'Since they're taking so much time, it must mean the game's gonna be awesomely epic.'.

I remember having dreams of Pokemon games for the Wii, then waking up and being pissed because it wasn't real. The wait was killing me. And I'm sure that lots of you have been through that at one point or another.

So the game comes out, and it's categorized as an RPG. And it has NO STORY! How does an RPG have no story, let ALONE one on a next-gen system?! There is no excuse for it. None. They simply half-***ed it.

That'd be like Square-Enix making a Final Fantasy game, but then only letting you fight against the same twenty people over and over again until you're strong enough to beat the last boss, with no rhyme or reason or explanation for why you're there.

How would you like it if Final Fantasy XIII came out, but there was no plot, and all you could do is fight the same twenty or so people over and over again until your level was high enough to beat the last boss? Then when it's over, all you see is the credits. It would be boring as hell. I've seen Flash games on Newgrounds that have more interesting plots than that.

Wow, that really sounds like it's worth 50 dollars... Which is likely what you're gonna be paying for this. And you know, until people wake up and realize this, it'll keep happening too. So, I'll be saving my money this time and renting the game first. Because this definitely doesn't sound like a buy, but a rental. Plus, I can rent it for free after 21 days, so...

And yes, I am a big Pokemon fan. Otherwise, I wouldn't be complaining about this here.

Ichida
June 16th, 2007, 02:46 PM
I'm sure they'll work on something like Colosseum or XD (hopefully without the utter bull**** that is Shadow Pokemon) but PBR came first because they wanted something simple and efficient that got right down to the whole point of Pokemon itself - battle. It's also Nintendo's way of field testing online play with the Wii, being the first actual online Wii game. You gotta remember, from most of what games are out, the Wii is a console meant for things like parties and gaming groups. They haven't quite adapted to storyline-driven single player games yet, although there have been a few, like Super Paper Mario and such. No worries, I have faith a story-driven Pokemon RPG will be made for the Wii sometime in the next few years.

Superkid11
June 16th, 2007, 02:53 PM
That's all well and good, but let me put it into perspective for you.

Ever since the Wii came out, I've been waiting for a Pokemon game to come out for it (as I'm sure many of you have too). I figured that since it was taking so, they were just taking their time on it, so I was like, 'Since they're taking so much time, it must mean the game's gonna be awesomely epic.'.

I remember having dreams of Pokemon games for the Wii, then waking up and being pissed because it wasn't real. The wait was killing me. And I'm sure that lots of you have been through that at one point or another.

So the game comes out, and it's categorized as an RPG. And it has NO STORY! How does an RPG have no story, let ALONE one on a next-gen system?! There is no excuse for it. None. They simply half-***ed it.

That'd be like Square-Enix making a Final Fantasy game, but then only letting you fight against the same twenty people over and over again until you're strong enough to beat the last boss, with no rhyme or reason or explanation for why you're there.

How would you like it if Final Fantasy XIII came out, but there was no plot, and all you could do is fight the same twenty or so people over and over again until your level was high enough to beat the last boss? Then when it's over, all you see is the credits. It would be boring as hell. I've seen Flash games on Newgrounds that have more interesting plots than that.

Wow, that really sounds like it's worth 50 dollars... Which is likely what you're gonna be paying for this. And you know, until people wake up and realize this, it'll keep happening too. So, I'll be saving my money this time and renting the game first. Because this definitely doesn't sound like a buy, but a rental. Plus, I can rent it for free after 21 days, so...

And yes, I am a big Pokemon fan. Otherwise, I wouldn't be complaining about this here.
Erm, yes, an RPG without a story would suck but PBR isn't an RPG. O_o
But I think I understand what you're saying. A Pokemon game isn't right to you without a story. Still, couldn't hurt renting it, it may change your perspective. ;)

I'm really only upset at the loss of minigames.

SBaby
June 16th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Erm, yes, an RPG without a story would suck but PBR isn't an RPG. O_o
But I think I understand what you're saying. A Pokemon game isn't right to you without a story. Still, couldn't hurt renting it, it may change your perspective. ;)

I'm really only upset at the loss of minigames.

Not an RPG?
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/pokemon/pokemonwii/pokemonwii.html

I will be renting it though, just to be fair. I'm gonna give it the benefit of the doubt, but I still have a bad feeling about this one...

The Real AAA
June 16th, 2007, 09:00 PM
thats good theres no storyline, and the gamecube pokemon games are so boring cause of the story

SBaby
June 17th, 2007, 08:00 PM
thats good theres no storyline, and the gamecube pokemon games are so boring cause of the story

That's partially bacause the people at Nintendo can't write a plot to save their lives (I suspect that this is also the reason they omitted a story mode in Battle Revolution). If you want an example, look at the Zelda games.

Each one is similar to the last (with most of the same exact items each time too), but with new dungeons, new puzzles, and some new gimmick, such as the Ocarina, the Wind Waker boat, and even transformations. I mean, how many times has Link killed Ganon now? And for that matter, how many girls named Zelda ARE there in Hyrule? I've only ever met ONE in my entire life, and I've lived in more states than most people will ever see in their lifetime. And don't give me this story about alternate timelines and time-travel paradoxes. In the words of a famous character in entertainment history, 'Man, I HATE time travel!'. And why was A Link To The Past CALLED A Link To The Past when it didn't even HAVE any time travel in it?

But that's just an example. As much as I'd love to rant about Zelda, I don't want to stray too far off topic.

With Pokemon, we've got a contrived and twisted world with a history that contradicts itself on a regular basis (Pokemon used to be from another planet, and now suddenly they were created by this Poke-God? What's next, a nuclear war creating them?). But at LEAST they have a somewhat ongoing plot.

Now, to be fair, I know it's supposed to be geared toward children. So I've overlooked alot of the inconsistencies in the story (even though they're driving me up the wall with a little project I'm working on...). Still, it would be nice to get a bit of continuity going in Pokemon...

So yes, I agree that the storylines aren't that great. But having NO storyline is worse.

halfling2
June 17th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I'm personally happy that there is no story.
It seems nowadays Pokemon storylines are stupid, take over the world with a legendary, evil intention crap.
Team Galactic was trying to recreate the world, compared to Team Rocket, which was just a huge group of sleezy thugs. I like the sleezy thugs better.
Battle Revolution should be more focused on interesting ways to battle anyways. Let's just stray away from Cryus-like corny emo lines and stick with getting flogged by other players over Wi-Fi.

Forci Stikane
June 18th, 2007, 08:59 AM
That's partially bacause the people at Nintendo can't write a plot to save their lives (I suspect that this is also the reason they omitted a story mode in Battle Revolution). If you want an example, look at the Zelda games.

I'd just like to point out that it was another company that made up the GCN Pokemon games (Genius Sorority (sp?)).

Faceless*
June 18th, 2007, 09:07 AM
oh my god the story in Colosseum was a complete NIGHTMARE to me! all the ultra balls wasted on trying to get that dang metagross, and tyranitar(just to get a Ho-oh), i think PBR will be fine w/out a story mode

Shiraishi
June 18th, 2007, 12:05 PM
It doesnt have a gym leader castle..just random colluseums with horrible rules...Apparently there is colluseum leaders but thats all there is to it in the game. (I just looked at serebii)

SBaby
June 18th, 2007, 12:52 PM
The rules are fine. I think it adds more challenge to the game only being able to use the same amount of Pokemon as the Gym Leader and not always being able to use items in battle.

It's the other stuff that makes me skeptical.

The Real AAA
June 18th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Well as long if the whole game is fun wich really counts so I don't really care if there's a story or not no more as long if it's good

halfling2
June 18th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Well, I DO regret the abssence of minigames, which made Stadium 2 really fun. I just hope it's more challenging than Emerald's Battle Frontier.
Still sounds like a rental, but a story mode would make me more relluctant to look at it at all. Unless it had the different Colosseum's readily accessible along with the everything else (transfer, character creator and Wi-Fi), then that would be awesome.

Ryo
June 18th, 2007, 11:53 PM

QFT.

With the lack of story just leaves you all the rest of the room to pimp out your Character's gear, and see your Pokemon from D/P look all sexy and what not.

Though, I do hope they actually do get around to making a full-fledged Pokemon RPG (Colosseum/XD weren't good enough to be considered an RPG, IMO) for a console system. If for the Wii- Jesus, that'd be one sexy looking game.

Chosen_of_Manaphy
June 21st, 2007, 12:32 PM
Although i'm not completely sure how it works yet, isn't beating the colloseums and unlocking new ones basically some form of a story?

Ichida
June 22nd, 2007, 12:46 AM
I never liked minigames. I can never sit through a full game of Mario Party, and Chocobo Tales was quite irritating to get through. >.< I'm glad there aren't minigames. No nonsense you'd need to play to unlock anything.

Rad_Riardos
June 22nd, 2007, 05:48 AM
I've craved for a Pokemon game where you could free battle besides the stadium games. It's better than going through a storyline, not able to battle when you want too.

PurityForest
June 23rd, 2007, 03:36 AM
Aw.. No Story Mode? But even without a Story Mode, Hope PBR is a really good game. :D