PDA

View Full Version : Are we all secretly evil?

marshmello
April 6th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Think about this, if we all had a day without ANY rules of any kind. What do you think would happen and most important what would your day be like?

I would actually go out and steal loads of things from shops and i think that the whole world would be dead without a doubt, by the end of the day.

Pokedragonfire
April 6th, 2007, 01:04 PM
I would act as I always would, except for the part where I fear for my life. O.o

Bomberman
April 6th, 2007, 01:12 PM
If you think humans are not evil at their core, I challenge you to leave your doors unlocked at all times.

Fox♠
April 6th, 2007, 01:37 PM
I'd personally get myself a Shotgun and shoot anyone stupid enough to try and rob my house.

parallelzero
April 6th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Well, I see it like this: Nobody is pure, despite what they or others think. Someone claiming they don't have a dark side is seen by me as essentially being ignorant. Everyone has dark desires once and a while, its just human nature.

Yoshistar64
April 6th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Perfect time to ask. Whenever I'm alone, I still follow the rules because I feel like it. What else would I do?

Allstories
April 6th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Purity and evil are arbitrary concepts.

Yoshistar64
April 6th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Purity and evil are arbitrary concepts.

That's a bit obvious, but I think she was asking whether you would do something out of the rules if there weren't any for the day.

Always rely on me for philosophical matters!

marshmello
April 6th, 2007, 02:07 PM
but just think about it! you know deep inside you that you will atlease HAVE to break the law - have a little drink or maybe go and steal or maybe kill i might i think..

Legacy
April 6th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Well, if breaking the law makes you evil, then I'm evil. I've broken minor laws in my lifetime, and not so secretly either.

Also, I think the world is capable of surviving more than a day with no laws. We'd just end up eventually being ruled by a Hitler-type person.

Fox♠
April 6th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Breaking laws doesn't make you evil :< Especially minor laws like underage drinking.

In fact now I think about it, I'd probably batter some of the people i really hate with a baseball bat.

Alana
April 6th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Hmm, well I think my day wouldn't be too different. I'm no angel, but I wouldn't go about killing people and stealing everything in sight. It's not a matter of rules, it's a matter of morals.

I would, however, go about and speak my mind and maybe throw a punch at my principal. Don't judge me too harshly, he deserves it. :P

Absolitude
April 6th, 2007, 06:18 PM
I would do horrors unthinkable by the human mind...>.> I steal chocolate from the candy store, and eat it...yeah, no one will die horrible deaths...Stop looking at me that way....<.<

Forever
April 6th, 2007, 06:59 PM
I'd find some way to piss people off...though that isn't really unusual for me.
And then I'd probably hurt this person at school..ugh, she like totally sucks.
Then I'd end off the day by doing something so stupid that I would regret for the next month, I'm not sure of that part yet.
Actually, I'd also go steal a fairy to make the day last forever yeah..If they don't exist, I'll make one exist.

Samurai X
April 6th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Read Lord of the Flies. Most people would be totally evil without rules. I probably wouldn't do horrible things but I wouldn't be very lawful either.

Fallen Angel_Messiah Of Black Roses
April 6th, 2007, 10:20 PM
I'd steal a ton of guns and defend my house! hahahaha,

Next person who trys to break a window will be thefted... of his head ( Kisses .50 Magnum)

Fox♠
April 7th, 2007, 02:06 AM
Read Lord of the Flies. Most people would be totally evil without rules. I probably wouldn't do horrible things but I wouldn't be very lawful either.

Great book. Do you think that we really would turn like that? I mean, we're in the suburbs and they were in a jungle.

Jolty-kun
April 7th, 2007, 02:10 AM
I would probably do anything. I'd go to my local games store and pick up as many consoles as they have in stock, games, bleh.
That's the more obvious one, though, I'm sure anyone would do that. I'd also probably break into some kind of arena to just see what it would be like. I would just generally do everything you can't do when there ARE rules.

marshmello
April 7th, 2007, 02:53 AM
Yep i've read lord of the flies and it really makes us think about the real us. Each of us is secretly evil

Alana
April 7th, 2007, 05:30 AM
That's a rather pessimistic statement, don't you think?

I don't agree with you. The Lord of the Flies, though a very good and realistic story, is fiction, nothing more. What would happen if a group of boys was actually stranded in that situation? Who knows? Perhaps the same thing, perhaps something completely different. However, if we're going by that book then you have to look at the facts and see that it was a small group of people that turned most of the kids into monsters. That's how a lot of evil is started. Most people are, sadly, easily persuaded to do things they would never do ordinarily.

There's also the fact that although most of the boys on the island did join the bad side, there were still a couple who did not. Are they still evil? I wouldn't say so.

Now back to nonfiction. Think about a person who sees a complete stranger in danger and runs in to save them without a second thought. Now this same person stole a candy bar from the store when they were a kid, mouthed off to any teacher they didn't like in school, and got into a few fights, one of which ended with this person breaking another person's arm. Are they evil?

Eon-Rider
April 7th, 2007, 06:02 AM
If I wouldn't get into trouble for doing something wrong then I'd go onto a criminal rampage. :D

So basically, the same answer as the thread creator.

Idiot!
April 7th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Just the perfect chance for pay back time. I'll have a bow, arrows, an axe, a sword and a machine gun with me, and just make those people pay for all the mocks on my small size.

Fox♠
April 7th, 2007, 03:01 PM
There's also the fact that although most of the boys on the island did join the bad side, there were still a couple who did not. Are they still evil? I wouldn't say so.

Two of those boys were killed by the other "tribe" though. It's sorta like saying "if you won;t join us then we'll kill you!"

Can you honestly say that if there was a shop unattended and there were no rules, that you wouldn't take anything from it?

Alana
April 7th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Two of those boys were killed by the other "tribe" though. It's sorta like saying "if you won;t join us then we'll kill you!"

Can you honestly say that if there was a shop unattended and there were no rules, that you wouldn't take anything from it?
Yes. Like I said earlier, it's not a matter of rules, it's a matter of morals. What reason would I have to go to someone else's shop and take things that don't belong to me? Where's the sense of pride in that? Working and earning your own money then being happy when you can go out and buy it is much better. If it's odd to not go kill someone who insulted me, then I'm odd. Nuff said.

Dr. SmoothSeks
April 7th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I'm not sure what I'd do. I like to think I'd go on a killing spree, but if I were faced with the situation, I'd probably be too lazy to do it. ;)

DarkDoom3000
April 7th, 2007, 11:56 PM
ill say yes. im amking a game where theres killer bears, killing everyone...blod everywhere, dead scientists, arms and feet all over the place...and the evilest of all!!!!!!!

Im promoting it here!
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3536/promo2miniv002qb8.png (http://www.pkmncommunity.com/showthread.php?t=82130http://)

marshmello
April 8th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Yes the vast marjority of you ARE admitting to your deep evil sides - imagine in a school, noo teacher in the classroom - she has gone somewhere. Would you really sit quiet and would you carry on working? I dont think soo.

Makoto
April 8th, 2007, 10:03 AM
To claim anyone doesn't have a dark side would be ludicrous. You need bad to be good, just as with light and darkness, hate and love, happiness and sadness. Without one, the other cannot exist.

However, most people ae not balanced, because of society's rules. They suppress the bad side, and shrink it, in vain hopes of depleting it entirely. However, that is impossible.

I believe that a day with no rules or laws would indeed be the end of the world, and here's why. While people are naturally balanced, (50:50 good and evil) Society tries to make us more good (about 95:5 good and evil, respectively). With the strain on our evil side gone, it would instantly cause a dramatic reversal, before reaching equilibrium.

To put it simply, think of what would happen if you put a pot of hot water on a counter. The stove top was keeping it hot before, but take away the heat source, and you get rapid cooling. The hotter the water was, the quicker it cools relative to the original temperature.

A day of the world with no rules would certainly bring about society's destruction. However, once we reached that equillibrium of 50:50 good and evil, we would be much happier, more fulfilled people for it.

Imagine a world where greed, anger, and lust were as normal and accepted as happiness, and you never had to feel bad for feeling those feelings. In a world like that, while it may not be as perfect, people would be more free and generally happier.

(By the way, remember that happiness and sadness =/= good and evil. You can be happy and evil, or sad and good, after all.)

Shift
April 8th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Think about this, if we all had a day without ANY rules of any kind. What do you think would happen and most important what would your day be like?[B]

Well uh, wouldn't all the humans be murdered?

22sa
April 8th, 2007, 10:21 AM
It's perfectly interesting to have an evil side, just don't let your evil side decide your life.

I wouldn't turn evil if there were no laws or rules. Not being protected by laws implies the need for more personal resiponsibility. It is not a blank check for evil.

marshmello
April 8th, 2007, 10:22 AM
yes exactly! we would all die and the world would end just like that, some people doubt this - there may be a little life left on earth but it would not last a single week. and what makoto said, yes in scientific ways that is it!
but we dont turn evil we are evil and we unleash it when we have the opportunity

Jim
April 8th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Well without rules then t wouldn't be classed as evil would it? But in my own mind I'm evil, but IRL i'm not. Also without rules, no one would want to break them so we would probably be happier, you never know.

Dawg 2005
April 8th, 2007, 12:17 PM
First off, I'd go off to random stores and take things. It isn't wrong, since it isn't a rule or anything. XD Then I would go around and kick people's shins, and then hideout and throw rotten tomatoes at people.

Fun.

Drummershuff
April 10th, 2007, 08:05 AM
I think I'd probably act the way I normally do. There are certain morals and standards I try to hold so I wouldn't go directly against them because there were suddenly no rules.

However, I also think that the world would be in such a disaster if there was suddenly nothing to go by. I mean, all the criminals wouldn't be in jail because there would be no rule to keep them there. It'd be a disaster. As much as everyone thinks it'd be great to have no rules, everyone else would have the same "no rule" day, too, so...

Dr. SmoothSeks
April 10th, 2007, 12:04 PM
without ANY rules of any kind

I think this covers morals too. They're rules that you set for yourself. It's starting to become annoying with the "I'll be a good little boy/girl because of my morals". Morals are rules. This is a day with NO rules. That means no morals.

marshmello
April 12th, 2007, 03:14 AM
Yh no rules no morals, and yes you can still be good but you wont! No rules doesnt make us EVIL we already are evil

Lt. Surge's Raichu
April 12th, 2007, 04:00 AM
I think everyone has their own limits when it comes to evil.
Everyone has this line for them self, that they don't step over. Some people doesn't have that line, you see them everyday on news

Melody
April 12th, 2007, 06:55 AM
its the people who have no line to cross who are evil... or maybe their line isnt being crossed becayuse they belive they are serving up justice EX:terrorists
They think that americans are evil and they sometimes will go to great lengths to kill or disable us because they think we are evil incarnate. But we are not...

Jubilation
April 12th, 2007, 07:02 AM
I would probaly just keep eating Raw two minute noodles >.>

marshmello
April 12th, 2007, 09:52 AM
i LOVE eating raw noodles! They are soooo crunchy!
Anyway back to the subject...yes you would have to STEAL some noodles to eat them huh?

SkyAttack
April 13th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Lack of rules doesn't really translate to lack of morals. Morals are a personal decision...rules are not. If rules = morals, none of us would have issues with the fact that they exist.

Obviously I'm not perfectly pure...never claimed that I was. BUT...I know that a lack of rules would never drive me to just randomly start killing people. It's not a matter of whether or not I CAN...but rather WHY. I have no desire to take the lives of innocent people, regardless of whether or not I would be punished for it. I don't think this requires a huge amount of morals...just a basic respect for lives other than my own. The farthest I would go would be to steal something if I really felt the need to be "bad". Then again, people frequently steal things in everyday life, so I suppose it's not that shocking.

She-Elf
April 13th, 2007, 02:33 PM
I would be a little nervous I guess, but but my day would be pretty normal.

Blastoise
April 14th, 2007, 07:50 AM
I would get my guitar and hide in the storage room with my family until the rules kicked in again. o_o;;

marshmello
April 14th, 2007, 08:24 AM
id hide aswell after doing some bad stuff...
but after killing someone and not get ANY punishment i would love to go out and do it again!

Blastoise
April 14th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Dude, someone is just as likely to try and kill you if you go out trying to kill someone.

Charizard_Ruler
April 14th, 2007, 12:15 PM
cops are evil but they do there jobs right? :)

Drifblim
April 14th, 2007, 05:07 PM
I don't think we're innately good or evil. If most societies condone theft, rape, or murder, we'd gladly do it. It has turned out, though, that they are not, and with this kind of rearing I personally would be hesitant to go around causing mayhem. In some cases I would, but in others I don't see the benefit.

marshmello
April 15th, 2007, 09:09 AM
yes okay then, everyone thinks they know themselves and i respect that, so rules... NO SCHOOL so would you turn up?

Erimgard
April 15th, 2007, 12:22 PM
hm, interesting scenario...not quite sure what I would do. probably raid radio shack,staples, etc.

Forci Stikane
April 15th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Are people really evil? Arguable. Are people idiots? A resounding YES. After all, one could argue that all crime is simply due to ignorance of some form, whether it be long-lasting or fleeting. If people were smart all of the time, there stands a fair chance that there would be no more crime. Of course, one cannot truly determine who is or isn't "smart" while remaining objective, so this would be hard to prove...

But I digress. What would I do...? ...... ...... ...Heheh. Depends on where and who would be around me...

PiplupRocks
April 17th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Well.. I nevr thought about it the only thing evil alive is probably a threat to man kind! Which the most threat is the following: Nuclear Missle, The Sasqautch ( not yet proven to be alive! ) and an evil chicken is about it 0_o

marshmello
April 17th, 2007, 10:59 AM
nuclear missile! as its the only thing i know is real and i know it is powerful but the powerfullest thing on earth is humans

Suki
April 17th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Yello, is powerfullest even a word.. sister!

I didn't think they were - I thought those bombs were.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
April 17th, 2007, 04:34 PM
cops are evil but they do there jobs right?
Yea I can agree with you on that one. But not all cops do there jobs, I caught one just sitting one time and a person ran the light. Yea I would steal whatever I can

:t354:~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~

marshmello
April 18th, 2007, 10:17 AM
its gdgd that people agree with me like Queen Boo, heres another question...
" A man tells you PRECISELY not to touch the pianos in his shop, he tells you he will be back in 20mins, would you have a mini touch of the piano?" I think so! I would

And...no i just realised its 'the most powerful' oops

AC_Drain
April 18th, 2007, 10:31 AM
nuclear missile! as its the only thing i know is real and i know it is powerful but the powerfullest thing on earth is humans

Powerfullest lol. Humans only have power because they're smart. It's a different type of prowess.

marshmello
April 19th, 2007, 09:20 AM
yh really we are powerful because we are smart! We are more powerful then bombs as we are the ones to control what happens when how. We can decide what to do to other people, we can control the dead its easy

PiplupRocks
April 19th, 2007, 11:19 AM
As a psychic type trainer I see this as the type of ' predicting what happens if we were evil ' type.. I don't think we are ALL evil just that some of us are.. *Cough*My brother*Cough*

marshmello
April 20th, 2007, 11:10 AM
What? So if you're a physic trainer you know about phycism? anyway yh i agree, we can only predict in our era maybe a few more hundred years... our futre will see how this will happen

AC_Drain
April 20th, 2007, 12:52 PM
What? So if you're a physic trainer you know about phycism? anyway yh i agree, we can only predict in our era maybe a few more hundred years... our futre will see how this will happen

XD Whoops, think you just coined a few words there

marshmello
April 22nd, 2007, 07:29 AM
Waht do you mean that i coined a few words there?

Azumao
April 22nd, 2007, 08:01 PM
Ever heard of Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad? Yes, nice book.

We would all go and loot the stores, that's for sure. A portion might become murderers, and the all of the cars in the world will be stolen for sure. Banks robbed, of course. Really, it would be complete and total chaos.

phantom_zangetsu
April 22nd, 2007, 10:48 PM
i guess you could say that...but evil chicken? *looks at neighbor's chickens*

*shivers*

well, we all have our own evil deeds...wethere its physical,mental,spiritual,psycological etc....

marshmello
April 25th, 2007, 09:30 AM
haha evil chickens? No i havn't read the book.
So if a bank is being robbed...you dont have any alrms or anyone to phone and too bad you will end up dead or fired...but without rules you could just hire yourself again!

Erimgard
May 3rd, 2007, 11:39 AM
of course, what would really be the point of robbing a bank if the world were lawless, why not just steal the items you would want? what good is money if you don't need to buy anything. steal it people! :D

marshmello
May 7th, 2007, 09:49 AM
haha i didn't think of that, yh is there are no rules, then..it's hard to explain but there is no need to rob a bank!

Asch_R2
May 7th, 2007, 11:17 AM
oo a day without rules, i set myself up for life and maybe kill a certain 3 people.

marshmello
May 9th, 2007, 10:09 AM
and who may these 3 people be? If i had three people to kill it would be...everyone!

Melody
May 15th, 2007, 08:51 PM
If there were a day where No rules or laws existed for the day i would probably Just lock my door and sit at the computer all day with a shotgun in my lap...all who entered my domain (execept family members) would be shot on sight unless they politely knocked on my door and asked permission to come in...then of they were to turn evil or start trying to take my stuff or damage it or hurt me or my brother or my dad in any way after getting in they would be shot...

Sooo basically i would protect myself and others...Chaos cannot be handled alone...

Utapau
May 19th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Civilization is undisputably the root of all evil. Humans are just trying to ensure their survival.

Kitty112294
May 19th, 2007, 08:59 PM
well if what my friends say is true then i'm all evil!

Turismo2029
May 20th, 2007, 03:09 AM
I'd fill my car up for free since there's no rules, then I'd cruise on down to Brisbane and meet up with some people and just have some fun.

I wouldn't endanger anyones life in anyway though, nor my own.

I also wouldn't do anything which might come back to get me sometime in the future (i.e, smashing a shop etc..)

Erimgard
May 20th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Civilization is undisputably the root of all evil. Humans are just trying to ensure their survival.

interesting, but would you care to elaborate?
how is trying to ensure survival evil?

Utapau
May 21st, 2007, 11:14 AM
interesting, but would you care to elaborate?
how is trying to ensure survival evil?

About civilization being the root of all evil, I don't think that needs any explanation. It is utterly undisputable that civilization disables the subsistent way of life, which is the only non-evil one that does not have a dehumanizing influence. (Although it may be much harder to survive).

Your second question is in some deeper territory. In my view, ambitions of any sort lead to evil or harm. Some people say that renunciation of the will to live is the way to go - that death should not be feared, because this fear is the bane of love. What they are saying is, accept that suffering and death are natural and inevitable parts of life.

Erimgard
May 21st, 2007, 11:20 AM
well I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say that I don't believe civilization is the root of all evil, but the evil and selfish intent's of men's own hearts.
as for fear of death and it's connection with evil...the will to survive does not imply fear. and I don't find a will to survive to be evil, unless you live by a survival of the fittest type scenario in which you do whatever you can to ensure YOUR survival regardless of the consequences others will face because of it...which once again goes back to the point of evil coming from the selfishness of men's hearts.
that's my opinion anyway

Melody
May 21st, 2007, 02:06 PM
I agree...The urge to survive is what causes evil...Ambition and Selfishness mixed together magifies that instinct into the evil within...some of us can control that urge...And in a way it's ok to be a tiny bit selfish and ambitious...It's what makes us dream...IMO Man doesnt start out evil...He is made evil by his environment,Influences EX:other people, and his general nature which is determined by his/her life experience...

Erimgard
May 21st, 2007, 02:35 PM
I definitely agree that the environment into which a human is born can effect his life severely, but it's no excuse. it's not impossible to lead a good life just because you were born into a bad one.
and to clarify, I didn't mean to say we are born evil, per se, just that we all are born with evil desires. it's basic human nature to want what is best for ME.

Utapau
May 21st, 2007, 03:13 PM
I actually would not consider the selfishness evil, because it is purely natural. Of course wild animals, who can ALSO distinguish between right and wrong (I believe) fight to survive -- I would not consider this evil.

Humans not only seem to have the will to survive, but the will to survive lavishly, clouded from the authentic by the artificial. The metaphoric "cloud" here would be civilization; it provides convenience for nearly everyone, keeping those in it from authentic life.

This, however, is not so bad at all. I would barely consider it evil. There is something however that is at the root of alot of evil...

Are ya ready for this?

It's Peace. The desire for peace creates alot of destruction and evil. I would not buy into the "Renunciation of the will" literally, but take it on a bigger scale: the will to have peace is what causes dehumanization and artificial destruction. What can we do? Accept that there is never complete peace -- I think, the day that there is, is the day that the universe ends.

It is civilization that is truly evil and artificial - it is meant to be the facilitator of peace and the ensurer of order.

Erimgard
May 21st, 2007, 03:46 PM
so at what point is it no longer acceptable or authentic? must we all live primitively, and if so, how primitively? at what point does it shift from survival to overly lavish?
I'm sorry but I really can't follow the logic that lavish living is the root of evil (if I'm understanding you correctly)
I don't believe you can classify one type of evil as the root of it all. it has to be a mental or pyschological thing. yes, overly-lavish civilization is often a bad thing, but I don't see how it is the root of evil.
you and I have different thought processes, I can see that. I doubt either one of us will be able to convince the other of our stance. I respect your opinion, but I cannot agree with you.
I DO however agree that true peace on earth cannot be reached by mortal means

Utapau
May 21st, 2007, 06:12 PM
The lavish living thing was just an extension of selfishness, which I do not consider to be the most evil of all evils.

The quest for physical peace, however, IMO, is. However, because there will always be "evil", there will always be those who try to realize peace...

But in nature, as you said, there is no true peace. It's unnatural -- things are born and they are destroyed by something. Something always threatens existence -- the not accepting of that IS what I personally feel is evil...

Anyway, I thought it was a cool discussion we had here, I enjoyed hearing your viewpoints -- Erimgard and Poketrainer2004.

Erimgard
May 21st, 2007, 06:55 PM
and I enjoyed talking to you as well
It's always nice to have a civilized debate where everyone is respectful and no one leaves angry despite their differences. perhaps we can debate another time :)

Melody
May 21st, 2007, 07:40 PM
I definitely agree that the environment into which a human is born can effect his life severely, but it's no excuse. it's not impossible to lead a good life just because you were born into a bad one.
and to clarify, I didn't mean to say we are born evil, per se, just that we all are born with evil desires. it's basic human nature to want what is best for ME.
I wasnt Implying that...I was simply metioning that the way we are raised influences wherther or not we come out evil when we grow up...

Kota
May 21st, 2007, 08:47 PM
I think the role we grow up as regards what happens to our life style. I mean, sure there are people who had a rough life and are doing great now. Like Oprah?

Well in most cases there are people who had mean parents, been bullied at a young age. It's not their fault though. Their parents were either really sick or something of that nature. In every heart there is light. No matter what. With every light a shadow lurks behind. You have to learn to control your emotians and feelings.
That's what seperates people that are good, and people that are bad.

Kota--

Erimgard
May 22nd, 2007, 07:36 AM
I wasnt Implying that...I was simply metioning that the way we are raised influences wherther or not we come out evil when we grow up...

exactly
I think we share the same view on this

Richard Lynch
May 22nd, 2007, 08:04 AM
There has been some genetic research on the idea that "evil" in the sense of a serial killer-like evil is actually hereditary/genetic. But that hasn't been proven quite yet!

I believe all humans are instinctively evil. If you check out ANY developmental charts in psychology, the beginning two or three stages (mainly when we're kids) show sign of being evil: not being able to share, egocentrism, lack of a conscience... it's only after we're raised and we are conditioned with the social "norms" of society (and especially the idea of "consequence") that we become able to save-face and "act" good in front of others.

I feel that religion and law are two primary examples of what keep people in line. The only thing that makes people act good is the FEAR of either going to Hell, or going to Jail. If it weren't for this fear of consequence, I feel that all humans would act equally evil, perhaps not to the extent of a serial killer, though. Different kind of evil.

People don't do good for the sake of doing good... people do good because they don't want to face the consequences, and because "good" is simply not "bad", because we have to remember that "good" and "bad" are relative morals to either the individual or the collective.

Erimgard
May 22nd, 2007, 08:17 AM
There has been some genetic research on the idea that "evil" in the sense of a serial killer-like evil is actually hereditary/genetic. But that hasn't been proven quite yet!

I believe all humans are instinctively evil. If you check out ANY developmental charts in psychology, the beginning two or three stages (mainly when we're kids) show sign of being evil: not being able to share, egocentrism, lack of a conscience... it's only after we're raised and we are conditioned with the social "norms" of society (and especially the idea of "consequence") that we become able to save-face and "act" good in front of others.

I feel that religion and law are two primary examples of what keep people in line. The only thing that makes people act good is the FEAR of either going to Hell, or going to Jail. If it weren't for this fear of consequence, I feel that all humans would act equally evil, perhaps not to the extent of a serial killer, though. Different kind of evil.

People don't do good for the sake of doing good... people do good because they don't want to face the consequences, and because "good" is simply not "bad", because we have to remember that "good" and "bad" are relative morals to either the individual or the collective.
to an extent, I agree with the first two paragraphs
however, I disagree with the second too.
for one thing, acting 'good' because of your religion entails far more than just fear of Hell. In fact some religions and denominations do not believe in the concept of hell, yet they still maintain a moral lifestyle. it's not always fear that motivates one to do good.
also, in the absence of religion, who's right is it to define what is 'good' or 'evil'? who's right is it to determine the moral or immoral? if one has no belief in a higher power, then how can morality be determined? does might make right in such a setting? curious on your views

Richard Lynch
May 22nd, 2007, 11:22 AM
to an extent, I agree with the first two paragraphs
however, I disagree with the second too.
for one thing, acting 'good' because of your religion entails far more than just fear of Hell. In fact some religions and denominations do not believe in the concept of hell, yet they still maintain a moral lifestyle. it's not always fear that motivates one to do good.
also, in the absence of religion, who's right is it to define what is 'good' or 'evil'? who's right is it to determine the moral or immoral? if one has no belief in a higher power, then how can morality be determined? does might make right in such a setting? curious on your views
Well, in the absence of religion, the law usually takes care of people's "lack of morals". However, as I said, morals are relative to what a society deems. Our morals as Americans (in a broad sense) are different from the morals of people in a 3rd World Country, same way as Catholic's morals are different from, say, Muslim morals. It all depends on who's looking, and it's people's misunderstanding of moral relativism that causes terrorism, hate crimes, and just plain racism. Those people believe in Absolutes, that their way is the correct way, and all others are the wrong way. And yes, to a degree, might does make right. It's similar to when you're a kid, and you argue with your mother:

"Can I get this?" - you
"No." - Mum
"Why not?" - you
"Because I said so." - Mum

This is very similar to morals within religion, but no so much within law. Many things are deemed "immoral", not for any concrete reason, just because "God says so" (or "The Bible says so”, whichever you prefer).

I think the only moral that is even close to being considered "absolute" is the idea of not murdering someone. But if you look at the Crusades, the Inquisition, Sodom and Gomorrah, and even 9/11 (which was indeed a faith-based act), you see that religion has never had a problem with killing people; to many of them it's negotiable; it all depends on who's doing the killing and who's getting killed. This is the fantastic contradiction of religion's take on "morals".

Legal morals are slightly different, but these days with the continuing racism (ie, the idea that African Americans do more crimes than Caucasians), it's becoming increasingly difficult to hold the legal system in high regard when it comes to a "fair trial".

These are some of the best examples that support my theory of "moral relativism".

Erimgard
May 22nd, 2007, 12:02 PM
Well, in the absence of religion, the law usually takes care of people's "lack of morals". However, as I said, morals are relative to what a society deems. Our morals as Americans (in a broad sense) are different from the morals of people in a 3rd World Country, same way as Catholic's morals are different from, say, Muslim morals. It all depends on who's looking, and it's people's misunderstanding of moral relativism that causes terrorism, hate crimes, and just plain racism. Those people believe in Absolutes, that their way is the correct way, and all others are the wrong way. And yes, to a degree, might does make right. It's similar to when you're a kid, and you argue with your mother:

"Can I get this?" - you
"No." - Mum
"Why not?" - you
"Because I said so." - Mum

This is very similar to morals within religion, but no so much within law. Many things are deemed "immoral", not for any concrete reason, just because "God says so" (or "The Bible says so”, whichever you prefer).

I think the only moral that is even close to being considered "absolute" is the idea of not murdering someone. But if you look at the Crusades, the Inquisition, Sodom and Gomorrah, and even 9/11 (which was indeed a faith-based act), you see that religion has never had a problem with killing people; to many of them it's negotiable; it all depends on who's doing the killing and who's getting killed. This is the fantastic contradiction of religion's take on "morals".

Legal morals are slightly different, but these days with the continuing racism (ie, the idea that African Americans do more crimes than Caucasians), it's becoming increasingly difficult to hold the legal system in high regard when it comes to a "fair trial".

These are some of the best examples that support my theory of "moral relativism".
to be honest with you, I can't think of any rules set forth by the God of Judaism/Christianity that do not have a reason behind them. I cannot say for other religions, as I have not studied any other religion extensively.
my question to you, is not what our society or other society's deem as immoral, but whether or not a society not influenced by religion should even believe in morals. as you've said, different cultures determine different things as moral or immoral, therefore who's right? are there any morals? should we practice any form of 'morality'?
just as you said, most deem murder as unnaceptable...but the there are the gray lines. What about in 'holy war' ? what constitutes murder? (abortion and such debates)
so the answer I was looking for was not so much, what do cultures deem as immoral, but what should they?

Suki
May 24th, 2007, 11:16 AM
If there was a day without rules then I would shoot myself dead to save myself from getting tortured to death XD

Kimicatdemon
May 24th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Play video games and not go to work..that's all...(I wouldn't go to work because it'd be like saying "I'm easy to shoplift now!" ) DX

Suki
May 25th, 2007, 11:50 AM
I was thinking, because there would be no rules and someone made up new rules for the rules to be back...what would happen because there are no rules?

Razer302
May 25th, 2007, 11:58 AM
If there were no rules the whole word would fall apart. There would be mass looting, killings and anybad thing you can think of. The world needs rule to survive.
But it would be quite funny to see what would happen if there were no rules.

marshmello
May 28th, 2007, 04:58 AM
Yh, but hopefully it will never happen and if it does then goodness knows what i'd do. Goodness knows what everyone is going to do!!

Utapau
May 30th, 2007, 05:10 AM
to be honest with you, I can't think of any rules set forth by the God of Judaism/Christianity that do not have a reason behind them. I cannot say for other religions, as I have not studied any other religion extensively.
my question to you, is not what our society or other society's deem as immoral, but whether or not a society not influenced by religion should even believe in morals. as you've said, different cultures determine different things as moral or immoral, therefore who's right? are there any morals? should we practice any form of 'morality'?
just as you said, most deem murder as unnaceptable...but the there are the gray lines. What about in 'holy war' ? what constitutes murder? (abortion and such debates)
so the answer I was looking for was not so much, what do cultures deem as immoral, but what should they?

His theory of moral relativism is right -- no one can say what cultures should deem moral. It is true, that there exists opposite forces -- some call it good and evil, yin and yang, "the dark side" and the "light side" of the force - but different people are different magnifications of each fragment of the universe - confining them to one part of it that is not their innate belief(which is subject to change) is certain to lead to conflict - some people think yin is the way to go, and others are on the yang side of things.

It should be mentioned, that conflict between dark and light is a natural part of the universe, and trying to stifle the conflict is in fact adding to it by default -- I am not saying this conflict is bad, but I am just saying it exists.

The strive for peace is a common goal of all sides -- thus it is usually the creator of alot of conflict. I, however, realize that complete peace, very fortunately does not exist: The Universe IS the struggle between light and dark, never will one completely overtake the other. I love this.

Cassino
May 30th, 2007, 05:26 AM
I'd drive around in my dad's Land Rover killing people and blowing things up with an SA-80 (standard British assault rifle) and box of grenades stolen from the nearby army barracks. Also I'll steal a kevlar vest and helmet so don't think you can kill me. xD

Erimgard
May 30th, 2007, 10:20 AM
His theory of moral relativism is right -- no one can say what cultures should deem moral. It is true, that there exists opposite forces -- some call it good and evil, yin and yang, "the dark side" and the "light side" of the force - but different people are different magnifications of each fragment of the universe - confining them to one part of it that is not their innate belief(which is subject to change) is certain to lead to conflict - some people think yin is the way to go, and others are on the yang side of things.

It should be mentioned, that conflict between dark and light is a natural part of the universe, and trying to stifle the conflict is in fact adding to it by default -- I am not saying this conflict is bad, but I am just saying it exists.

The strive for peace is a common goal of all sides -- thus it is usually the creator of alot of conflict. I, however, realize that complete peace, very fortunately does not exist: The Universe IS the struggle between light and dark, never will one completely overtake the other. I love this.

moral relativism is basically just a nice way to say that there are no morals. which is the answer I was expecting. without a higher power, there can be no absolutes, and thus, why SHOULDN'T we do whatever we want?
I do not believe the strive for peace is the common goal of all sides, but instead, the strive for self contentment. we all strive for good things. and in the absence of morality, it does not matter if our contentment means the suffering of others

UchihaSasuke
May 30th, 2007, 10:51 AM
hmm, im good all the time but i have a little fun sometimes ^^

i would steal from malls, take someones car, and skip school everyday!!!!!

Utapau
May 30th, 2007, 12:57 PM
moral relativism is basically just a nice way to say that there are no morals. which is the answer I was expecting. without a higher power, there can be no absolutes, and thus, why SHOULDN'T we do whatever we want?
I do not believe the strive for peace is the common goal of all sides, but instead, the strive for self contentment. we all strive for good things. and in the absence of morality, it does not matter if our contentment means the suffering of others

Sort of; it is saying everyone has morals, just everyone's are different.

As for contentment leading to the suffering of others, that is a natural part of every sophisticated civilization, other than communes.

Erimgard
May 31st, 2007, 11:00 AM
and even in communes, as a socialist style of living is idealy perfect, but humanly flawed. since we've already discovered that humans want what's best for THEM a large scale commune will not function properly because the system will be abused.
though a commune system works great in small settings

Utapau
May 31st, 2007, 02:05 PM
and even in communes, as a socialist style of living is idealy perfect, but humanly flawed. since we've already discovered that humans want what's best for THEM a large scale commune will not function properly because the system will be abused.
though a commune system works great in small settings

Heh, I wasn't suggesting it.

Suki
June 1st, 2007, 04:12 AM
Life is life and there are some evil, kind, rebels and ' stick to the rules' people. Everyone can be catagorized into groups and sadly this cannot be changed. We are who we are born and destined to be.

Juliette♥
June 1st, 2007, 09:56 AM
I'd try and get order and get respect and become a great leader that people will look up to for protection. 8D

I would never do anything evil, I don't think. I'm too proud for that...

Erimgard
June 1st, 2007, 10:10 AM
Heh, I wasn't suggesting it.

haha yeah, I know. I was just saying :P

Suki
June 9th, 2007, 05:16 AM
May be if there wasn't any rules for a day i'd find a secret hide. But if the 'no rules' carried on for ever i would get fed up of hiding i'd have to get out there and fight others to get food and drink

Krafty Quill
June 14th, 2007, 10:16 AM
May be if there wasn't any rules for a day i'd find a secret hide. But if the 'no rules' carried on for ever i would get fed up of hiding i'd have to get out there and fight others to get food and drink

Huh? o.o

Well, I'd probably make different decisions when it comes to certain things if rules didn't apply any more.

41victory
June 14th, 2007, 10:49 AM
IM not sure what i would do
id might punch someones teeth out if they make me angry enough. it takes alot to get me that angry...
But my friend would take revenge upon people who have done racist/making fun of him/just being annoying around him.

Suki
June 18th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Well yh, we will have to stick uo for ourselves and then oneday we will have to fight and fight for food and drink. So sad...

MyFirstLvl100
June 18th, 2007, 10:42 AM
let's face it: life is not life without rules. eventually you will want rules again in the world if they disappeared. no human can live without rules. it's just....nature. you may think life would be great without any boundaries, but it's just nature to want order in the world. this is why evil and good were separtated in the beggining - order. actually, you cant really say what you will do in a evil situation until it happens to you, meaning you cant say if your evil or good until you get chances,oppurtonities,and advanatages to do something.

Ullion
June 18th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Well.. I stopped reading near the bottom of the first page, and I read most of this here page.. so I'll just add my two cents:
-In Lord Of The Flies... the kids ONLY turned evil because of the fear inside of them from the beast... as that was one of the largest parts to the book... and I feel ashamed that no one here brought it up so soon (as for em to have read it) for that reason.
-Also in LOTF, they were a bunch of kids.... in this case... we're talking about the whole world... I doubt many of us would manage to live past one day.. and then there would be the most dangerous person in the world become the leader and HE will end up creating rules..

however

- If rules never came abck and lasted forever (in the scenario in which Suki spoke of), I would kill myself. In my life.. my morals are around justice... having things done the right way. I put it far above other things except basketball, which by far is #1. But thats for a different discussion. SInce there are no rules and everyone would go berserk.. I would just kill myself and laugh at the others living through a hell. :3

-And one last thing.. most of you would say "I would go hit him/her, I will go steal from him/her!" WRONG. You probably wouldn't be able to. The store owners would have gunas with them, the Principle would fight you back etc etc. And for one post I read... by Fallen Angel, he said he'd get lots of guns... well if you were able to get lots of guns.. why would you get so much? They would be useless. You only need about 4 guns max, a Sniper, Pistol, Machine gun and Sub machine gun. Then after those bring lots and lots of ammo. But firstly... try and get them first.. as you won't be the only person around without no rules affecting you. X=

Scales
June 18th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Technicly evil is how other people view you. Meaning Darth Vader doesn't think he is evil. It is just that everyone else does. Luke skywalker doesn't think he is like Jesus and is overall good. Only other people think he is.

Evil and good are how people view you. If you had one day were people sinned a lot then people would view you as evil as they themselves are

Magnius
June 18th, 2007, 03:29 PM
If there was a day with no rules? I'd probably steal stuff, go GTA on people, stealing their cars and stuff, beat up people I don't like, do a bunch of risky stunts... and if I lived through that, I would take over the world.

Scales
June 18th, 2007, 03:31 PM
If there was a day with no rules? I'd probably steal stuff, beat up on people I don't like, break a bunch of rules... then take over the world.

Without rules there can't be civilisation. Without civilisation then there cannot be any rulers. Thats the problem with chaos. It rarely goes away

RYOUKI
June 18th, 2007, 11:54 PM
I think a day w/o rules will never happen, but if it DID then...I'll go steal some DS,DS games,or kill somebody XD

Waffle-San
June 22nd, 2007, 12:35 PM
i'd get killed cause I can't bring myself to touch a gun and it takes ALOT for me to get mad enough to hurt anyone on purpose. I might try and steal some stuff though.
on the upside, With no rules, no-one could stop me from running to New York(i live on the other side of the continent.)

shinx^2
June 23rd, 2007, 04:29 PM
Yes. If I did, I'd have to beat myself up.
I'd probably just sit around and... yeah. Sit around.

marshmello
July 6th, 2007, 09:25 AM
well yes!! we all can be a little bit free sometimes

G-Klav
July 6th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Most people are able to control themselves, so I wouldn't be too scared of ordinary people. There is the occasional 'wacko', though, so I wouldn't feel totally safe.

And one question: Is the only thing that prevents you from killing someone the fact that it would be against the law?

Weatherman, Kiyoshi
July 6th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Actually, If I wouldn't go to jail for stuff, I would let my intelligence and dark side out.

I've really thought of ways to bypass many things, Public or otherwise. If I wasn't such a..

eh...

Lazy B*****d, I would be a criminal mastermind when I grow up.

Pikalove
July 9th, 2007, 01:23 PM
" I guess I am....sorta...if you call tripping your little sister untill she swallows her front loose teeth...."

Deathtolight
July 12th, 2007, 11:01 AM
id do what i normally do, except have something like a shotgun on me, just in case ;)

Eureka1
July 12th, 2007, 11:03 AM
frankly, we are not all evil

also, we are not all good

good and evil are meaningless words

marshmello
August 11th, 2007, 11:59 AM
i would say this is a good explaination - good and evil can be defined as different things

frankly, we are not all evil

also, we are not all good

good and evil are meaningless words

Azonic
August 11th, 2007, 12:18 PM
We are all evil, everyone except me(I'm handsome)

Shinji_
August 11th, 2007, 12:31 PM
I don't think im secretly evil..Actually I'm not becuase I was made from Sugar Spice and Everything nice..Wait no thats girls :(

Vavavoom ♣
August 11th, 2007, 02:22 PM
I am actually... ||| If the world stop for a second, I would do many things...~

Grovyle42(Griff8416)
August 11th, 2007, 02:40 PM
I am not evil, I had the choice to shoot a squirell with a gun and I didn't let myself do it, not because I'm an animal love but because of my conscience. But I am very defensive, come close to my territory and prepare to be tackled with lightning speed. I think people like to think that they're evil because...I don't know why, but when it comes down to it...I don't think they could do it.

Wish
August 11th, 2007, 04:34 PM
I'm sure everyone has there own dark side much like I have one. Everyone has done something bad. Were not perfect. So my answer is Yes.

Manaphy1128
August 11th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Killing would be an automatic no onw my part since i wouldn't have the guts to kill...

But yeah, I probably would steal things I wanted and didn't have money for. Barnes & Nobles, here I come.

Vavavoom ♣
August 11th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Killing would be an automatic no onw my part since i wouldn't have the guts to kill...

XXD.

Eh?... You don't need guts to kill. ^^ My evil side would kill anybody... ~

Captain Jack Sparrow
August 12th, 2007, 04:43 AM
Ooooh, tough. Let's see.

I'd go to the Caribbean and swim around in the reefs. If that wasn't possible I'd go swim in the reefs here, where I live currently.

I'm not really that evil. But of course, if I could, I would probably whipe out the entire human race. >;D

flight
August 12th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Humans. Practical race. Quite predictable at some times, too. Every now and then, yeah. The human race is evil in many ways. Did you not notice? Or did it pass you? It passes all of us. We do not know of such a thing. We do not know of the crimes we commit without knowing it. We do not know evil from good because we constantly still to the evil side.

Using automobiles is one examble. Of course, it's the modern way of traveling through roads. But one thing: it also pollutes the air. If Mother Nature had a say, I bet she would make this a crime. Little by little are we suffocating her with gasoline-powered automobiles. Electricity and water are another concern. Whether we like it or not, we use too much electricity, or too much water.

And when we use too less, we start to have a craving for more. So basically both ways have their cons. However, the latter is what we can control. It's called Human Instincs. "Craving" is just a feeling or desire for something.I think it's emphasized. However, we can control what we do or do not crave. If it's best for us, we must save the world by preserving much needed energy that could possibly be a lifesaver in the future.

My answer is: We are all evil on the inside. And on the outside, too. No matter what we do, there's always going to be an effect. There's always going to be the cons of the pros.

Yeah sure. Crime rate is very rare in certain places. But it does happen, does it? Another example of the misleading humanity. We are related to the criminals to the fact that we are human just like them. We can control what we do. In the future, will we be like them? Or not? That's for us to decide. Whatever road we take will have a pros and cons no matter what.

The end of my say for now. But you know my answer.

But that's just the factual thing about "evil humans"

If I were to do something evil..I dunno :\

Shiraishi
August 12th, 2007, 05:16 AM
I'd be a rapist and I would steal a Wii. Yay for evil side. >_>

Vavavoom ♣
August 12th, 2007, 05:22 AM
I'd be a rapist and I would steal a Wii. Yay for evil side. >_>

=O -mouth falls- Isn't that a bit exagerated?

Shiraishi
August 12th, 2007, 05:43 AM
No not really, I'm sure lots of ppl would do the same in the new non-order.

mew2three567
August 13th, 2007, 03:38 PM
See, the only thing is, every day has no rules for me.

Jordan
August 13th, 2007, 04:24 PM
After spending some time in church, I am not sure if I have the will to kill/steal/abuse/stuff like those anymore. Not saying I don't sin though, 'cause god knows I do. (This may not apply to you if you are atheist 0_o.)

Jordan.

The Real AAA
August 13th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I'm not evil!!!!

Does stealing candy from a baby counts?

marshmello
August 18th, 2007, 09:40 AM
:D yes, stealing candy from a baby is evil haha.
You will make them cry because you caused them to be upset, if you leave a baby alone while she/he eats candy you are a good person!

Razer302
August 18th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Stealing candy isn't that bad. They can just get another one.
I class evil as being a murder or rapist. Something along those lines.

BlueSonic
August 18th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Nah, I'm not evil, just a 15 year old guy :)

marshmello
August 18th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Being evil is a very stretched subject and if you were to steal candy from a baby, i'd get you to pay for another one.
Yh murder is evil but that is a very serious crime.

Razer302
August 18th, 2007, 09:59 AM
I wouldn't steal anything. So wouldn't have to pay. XD
Most crimes make you evil. But some are worse than others. I wouldn't say doing a burglary is anywhere near as bad as killing someone.

marshmello
August 19th, 2007, 03:44 AM
obviously, but from calling someone a name to torturing someone and killing them is evil.

Razer302
August 19th, 2007, 03:52 AM
Calling someone a name can be done in different ways. You can be talking to friends and call them something as a joke. Which isn't evil at all. Or you could call anyone a name because of how they look or something like that. That is what I would class as evil.

cardfreak
August 20th, 2007, 09:59 AM
I would do without rules for a day is fight people I despise by earning the name of Megatron.

Rinji
August 20th, 2007, 01:53 PM
To answer this question, we first have to define evil. Not as easy a task as it seems.
Morals and standards of behavior come with the society you live in, as well as your own lifestyle and ideas. Some people would call something like pornography evil, whereas others would call such self-indulgence a good thing. Stealing is considered evil by many, but it also varies depending on the viewpoint of the people.
Some even consider murder to not be evil, even though they don't like the idea. But as hard as it is to answer, what is truly evil? Is it, like time, simply a standard we set to suit our human craving for control?

And can we really call pure human nature, which is of course natural, evil? What about animals? Do their instincts drive them to commit evil deeds such as killing for food and dominance?
Perhaps humans have this thing called 'evil' because unlike most species, we have the ability to resist our natural drives.

I love these philosophical conversations! xD