PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney / Gyakuten Saiban Series

Esupio
April 9th, 2007, 06:56 AM
I'm sure some people around the forums like these games.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, is a text adventure game released by Capcom in October of 2005 for the Nintendo DS (released a month earlier in Japan under the name "Gyakuten Saiban ~ Yomigaeru Gyakuten). It is a remake and adaptation of the GBA game Gyakuten Saiban (often translated as "Tournabout Court" or "Comeback Court"), which was released only in Japan in 2001. Gyakuten Saiban 2 and 3, also released on the GBA (and again only in Japan), came out in 2002 and 2004 respectively. The series was received with moderate success and has spawned a modest amount of merchandise, including soundtracks, collectable figures, art and fan books, and a short, promotional manga.

The series has grown by a considerable margin since its release to the DS. With a fourth game in the works Capcom has even started putting out an original manga in Bessatsu Young Magazine. Even Capcom employees on their official fansite have remarked on the unusual amount of word-of-mouth advertising that has spurred Ace Attorney to sell out in the USA again and again. What started as a small adventure series is turning into a cult hit with a small, but steadily growing and very passionate fan base.

PW:AA is an adventure game where you play the part of Phoenix Wright, a novice defense attorney on his first case. It consists of investigation and courtroom sections, in which you gather evidence, speak to witnesses, and then take your findings to court where you "battle" opposing council to get an acquittal for your client. The fifth case takes advantage of the DS features by allowing you to view evidence and character profiles on the bottom screen, along with 3D evidence manipulation and voice recognition.

Gameplay is focused almost entirely on investigation and reasoning, and it's lack of traditional "action" and huge amount of text is off-putting to some gamers. It is often described and marketed as an "interactive novel". The game's strengths are almost entirely in its story and characters, which are brilliantly done with in depth cases and colorful, stylized animations. Those that have compared it to the Sega CD cult hit "Snatcher" are not far off. Phoenix Wright is a charming and unique gaming experience and a must have for any fan of the genre.

Taken from the FAQ section of Court Records (www.court-records.net)

I'm a big fan of this series, and I really hope that Gyakuten Saiban 4 gets a localisation, mainly due to the fact that its a totally original DS game, and if it improves upon the DS case of the first game, its bound to be good.

What does everyone else think of this series?

Cherrim
April 9th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Phoenix Wriiiiight~ ♥♥

XD I've recently gotten into this series. I absolutely love it and really hope the localize GS3 and 4. ;_; It's so awesome.

I especially love the characters; they give so much life the game. It's great how the mood can be so serious and then turn around to something so random and silly moments later. And I love Phoenix's dorky commentary on everything. XD

My brother and I named our fish after Edgeworth. :[

Legacy
April 9th, 2007, 01:57 PM
I've only played Ace Attorney but I loved it from start to finish. It's just the type of game I've been wanting to play for years, and then I finally got to.

I can understand how it's not got the same mainstream appeal as most Nintendo games, but there's no doubting that it is a great game for those who are interested in this genre of game.

I look forward to when I actually get to play Justice For All.

Signomi
April 9th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Absolutely loved the first and second games. Not long ago I purchased Justice For All and found it just AS enjoyable as the first. They're both really good games to try, I've already recommended them to quite a few people.

I love the game to bits. =D I've played a translated version of the first case in Gyakuten Saiban 3, and found that quite enjoyable as well.

Can't wait to play the rest of it though...in a language I can understand of course. D:

Kenny_C.002
April 9th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Still waiting for 3 to come out ere. Knowing Capcom, it'll be a while. XD

Esupio
April 10th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Phoenix Wriiiiight~ ♥♥

XD I've recently gotten into this series. I absolutely love it and really hope the localize GS3 and 4. ;_; It's so awesome.

I especially love the characters; they give so much life the game. It's great how the mood can be so serious and then turn around to something so random and silly moments later. And I love Phoenix's dorky commentary on everything. XD

If GS4 had the multi language thing, I'd import it, but it doesn't ¬¬

Yeah, his commentary is pretty funny, although some of the things the judge say rival it though.

Cherrim
April 10th, 2007, 11:36 AM
The Judge is...in his own category though. XDD; He astounds me with his lines sometimes.

;_; I'd import it too if it had the language option. And if it were any other game, I'd probably import it anyway, but I don't know nearly enough Japanese to understand any of the jokes, puns, etc. DX So I hope they localize quickly. I mean, it's got enough of a fanbase here to be brought over for sure, right? o_o

Esupio
April 10th, 2007, 11:38 AM
The Judge is...in his own category though. XDD; He astounds me with his lines sometimes.

;_; I'd import it too if it had the language option. And if it were any other game, I'd probably import it anyway, but I don't know nearly enough Japanese to understand any of the jokes, puns, etc. DX So I hope they localize quickly. I mean, it's got enough of a fanbase here to be brought over for sure, right? o_o

He's just so bad with technology.

I'm pretty sure that they'll localize GS3 first, but thats not a bad thing, eh the fanbase ain't huge, but I'm sure its enough.

Cherrim
April 10th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Well, I'd kinda prefer they localize GS3 first. I kinda want to go in order even if it looks like GS4 has new main characters. (And hobo!Phoenix? XD I still haven't looked into it much since I haven't decided if I wanna spoil myself for any part of it or not. @_@)

Esupio
April 12th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Well, I'd kinda prefer they localize GS3 first. I kinda want to go in order even if it looks like GS4 has new main characters. (And hobo!Phoenix? XD I still haven't looked into it much since I haven't decided if I wanna spoil myself for any part of it or not. @_@)

I think Phoenix ends up as a piano player or something XD

Cherrim
April 13th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Well, looks like it is in fact GS3 that's getting released this fall. :D Traaaailer. (http://www.tubemall.net/undeletube.php?v=W0_yDgwibZs) (And pictures (http://www.flickr.com/photos/capcomlost/458101607/in/set-72157600073845067/).) Links shamelessly stolen from an LJ community. XD;

I'm glad to get some confirmation. =D I can't wait~

TRIFORCE89
April 13th, 2007, 06:51 PM
I need to get into this series. It's like a sin to own a DS and not played it.

Esupio
April 14th, 2007, 02:14 AM
Well, looks like it is in fact GS3 that's getting released this fall. :D Traaaailer. (http://www.tubemall.net/undeletube.php?v=W0_yDgwibZs) (And pictures (http://www.flickr.com/photos/capcomlost/458101607/in/set-72157600073845067/).) Links shamelessly stolen from an LJ community. XD;

I'm glad to get some confirmation. =D I can't wait~

You beat me to it XD, I need to finish Justice for All though, Case 2 made me laugh, The judge doesn't even know what the U.K is XD

Phoenix Wright on the Wii would be awesome 8D