PDA

View Full Version : A Couple DS Questions

Hippo
April 23rd, 2007, 05:47 AM
Yeah...
Well, I'm not sure where this should go, but most people here have a DS, so you guys can probably help me =P
I don't have a DS, but i'll probably get for D/P, but i have a few questions.

If i use my fingers to hit the touch screen buttons, does it hurt my DS? Lol, but like does it smudge really bad or mess it up over time? I don't really want to use a pen thing...

How long does the battery last?

DSes can still link together, right? (We don't have Wireless internet at my house, so could my brother and I link our DSes to trade? Do we need a special cable (different from the GBA one)?

How is the wireless connection? Does it work well or is it sometimes choppy?

Does the Wireless internet USB thingy work well? (You plug it into your computer's USB port, then it will make some wireless internets... I guess its for the DS)

Are you sick of questions? :)

I think thats it, thanks a bunch.
Sorry again if its in the wrong place.

Thanks for the help!

LawLessChaoz
April 23rd, 2007, 06:44 AM
6 hours? I think

If i use my fingers to hit the touch screen buttons, does it hurt my DS? Lol, but like does it smudge really bad or mess it up over time? I don't really want to use a pen thing...
Not really and you don't use a pen you use a stylus

Does the Wireless internet USB thingy work well? (You plug it into your computer's USB port, then it will make some wireless internets... I guess its for the DS
Yes....????

Would people buy it if it was choppy???

DSes can still link together, right? (We don't have Wireless internet at my house, so could my brother and I link our DSes to trade? Do we need a special cable (different from the GBA one)?
You don't need Wifi at your house.

Sammi
April 23rd, 2007, 07:26 AM
Yeah...
Well, I'm not sure where this should go, but most people here have a DS, so you guys can probably help me =P
I don't have a DS, but i'll probably get for D/P, but i have a few questions.

DS questions that don't involve D/P are better in Other Games. I moved it.

I'll try answering, just because I'm here. I'm sure others will answer them better, but meh... it's the thought that counts, right? *shot*

I imagine it's not the best for it, but if I use my thumbs, it doesn't seem to harm the screen. But I do note I rarely use my fingers.
And it'll smudge. Screens are like that. :/

The stylus for the DS Lite isn't bad at all. (Can't say the same for the DS, as it's tiny.) You should at least give it a try before resorting to fingers all the time.

Depends on if you have the DS or DS Lite and what strength of light you have on. The original DS has a weaker battery; I can't tell you how long it lasts as I never owned one. The DS Lite lasts ages if you have it on the lowest setting. According to the manual, it's supposed to last 15-19 hours on the lowest setting, which seems right to me. I rarely charge my DS Lite. If you're curious, it'll last 5-8 on the highest setting.

They link together using it's own internal wireless technology. It's kind of like the wireless adapters used in FR, LG, and Emerald, except internal. You need no extra items to use that wireless feature. So yes, you'll be able to trade without your internet, assuming the two DS's are close enough to use the local wireless.

You only need wireless internet for the Wi-Fi option.

It works well for me, as long as you're in a decent range. I imagine it gets very choppy if you're barely in range.

Downloading can take a while though with some multiplayer games (don't know about D/P yet, but New Super Mario Brothers takes ages), so you'll have to be patient.

Does the Wireless internet USB thingy work well? (You plug it into your computer's USB port, then it will make some wireless internets... I guess its for the DS)

Personally, I don't know, but it does work. I'll leave that one for people who actually know that. XD

Are you sick of questions? :)

Nah. I like answering them.

I think thats it, thanks a bunch.
Sorry again if its in the wrong place.

Thanks for the help!

That's okay, but next time, look around PC if you're not sure if you have a thread in the right place.

You're welcome, even if I'm not the most useful person. XD;

TRIFORCE89
April 23rd, 2007, 12:26 PM
No, it doesn't harm it. It may be a less accurate way of control though. And if you're using your finger nails then you may create scratches. You should use the stylus or the thumbstrap.

It shouldn't have anything to do with the DS. If you have a wireless connection that is prone to dropping, then it will be like that on the DS too. Have a strong connection, then it'll be strong for the DS too.

Cherrim
April 23rd, 2007, 12:31 PM
It will smudge, but it shouldn't make much of a difference. Thing is, fingers are much bigger than the stylus and in most DS games, you use the stylus for exact button-pushing and such. So your thumb/finger would probably be too big to be very useful. :\ However, for D/P, there are very few things (if any) that you actually NEED to use the stylus for. That's what I've found, anyway. Almost everything can be done with the touchpad if you don't want to take out the stylus.
I've had my battery last 10 hours with my old DS. I can't really vouch for the DS Lite (which is what you'd get new, now) since I just got it the other day. With sound off, or low, you do get a lot of battery hours. :x

DSes link wirelessly between each other. You don't need internet to link up with a nearby DS, so you'll be able to trade between each other easily, no extra parts needed. As for the connection itself, it works best if you're between 10ft of each other, but I've played it from a bit farther and with a wall between the DSes and it still works fine.

That's all I can answer, though. Hope it helps. =D

Hippo
April 23rd, 2007, 01:21 PM
Ok, thanks a ton guys.

I'm a lefty, so I'll probably have problems using the stylus, as i might need the control pad at the same time... and its built for rightys most likely.

Thanks for the wireless internet answers, i don't have it, so i'm not sure how it works.

Its great that two DS can link, that helps a ton.

Has anyone tried the Wifi USB thing? I'd really like some information on that.

TRIFORCE89
April 23rd, 2007, 05:43 PM
The DS is a thing of beauty. It is ambidextrous. XD

Look at the position of the letter buttons. A +, just like the Control Pad. Some games ask if you're right handed or left handed.

Hippo
April 23rd, 2007, 06:31 PM
The DS is a thing of beauty. It is ambidextrous. XD

Look at the position of the letter buttons. A +, just like the Control Pad. Some games ask if you're right handed or left handed.

I officially love Nintendo.
I tried "Southpaw" (lefty) for Halo on Xbox, but you can't run and jump at the same time with it. Dang, that is too sweet.

I'll still probably use my thumbs though.
Whats that thumb protector someone mentioned?

Absolitude
April 24th, 2007, 02:56 PM
No thumb protector just a thumb stylus, or the little string thingy. Or a screen protector which i highly recommend due to it's helpfulness. I have the wifi usb thing but it doesn't work for me because my connection is too slow (dial-up) but if you have it faster it'll work.

TRIFORCE89
April 25th, 2007, 11:10 AM
The thumbstrap. Basically, if you'd rather use your thumb instead of the stylus. This gives your thumb a nice hard point to tap with. Prevents smudginess too.

Cherrim
April 25th, 2007, 12:14 PM
The thumbstrap isn't included with the DS Lite, which is probably what you'll be getting if you get a new DS. It...does seem to have a spot for one, though. Not sure if a standard DS strap would fit though.

Hippo
April 25th, 2007, 03:23 PM
About how much are thumbstraps?

Hm, Absolitude, do you know if it works well? It just seems kinda wierd. How long is the range on it? (Do you have a friend with one that works?)

Thanks for all the help, i'll probably look into a thumbstrap and screen protector. ToysRUs had a special where if you bought D/P you got free screen protectors, stylus, and bag thing or something.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
April 28th, 2007, 05:25 AM
then edit your post, you can also find some in Target, Walmart. Kmart etc

:t354:~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~

TRIFORCE89
April 28th, 2007, 05:39 AM
I guess they couldn't find a way to make the thumbstrap look sexy like the rest of the DS when they designed the lite. XD

The original should fit. ... I even have my old Wii Remote wriststrap attached to my DS. Lol So, if you want the wriststrap I'm sure you can find them at Nintendo's online store. I can't picture playing Metroid: Prime Hunters or Super Mario 64 DS any other way. :\