PDA

View Full Version : DS Lite, or core PSP?

`Matt
April 26th, 2007, 12:22 AM
I'm sure this has been brought up several times, but I've come to a rather large wall that continues to block my path: Should I purchase a DS Lite, or a Sony PSP?

Evidently, the Pokémon games aren't my first concern when it pertains to choices. I mainly want games that are going to be interesting, and have plot-depth.

So, if anyone can aid me with input on which is the better of the two, feel free to speak up. Thanks.

LawLessChaoz
April 26th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Psp because it is also a media-player.

Legacy
April 26th, 2007, 03:33 AM
DS Lite. It's actually a gaming console. I have them both and I hate the PSP so much that I haven't played it in over a year. I think it's a terrible machine.

And sales figures don't lie. DS >>> PSP

MiSsInG nO
April 26th, 2007, 11:02 AM
-OMG NEVER BUY THE PSP. i had one for about two years and i was super excited when it came out i was sure it would be ten billion time better than the DS. BUT I WAS WRONG. yeah sure the multi media thing is cool and the -web browser is really cool(but ds comes out with that next month).
-the music is unpractical who wants to listen to a thing the size of the PSONE remake so thats not really good just but an ipod(they have more memory than the psp memory sticks anyway,which in America only have 32mg{which doesnt even fit one album on it of music} theres 1gb, 2gb, and 4gb{which is as much as the ds lite price wise}and 8gb in Japan.) so those are spendy.
-the movie thing is cool(not really) who wants to watch a video on a 4inch screen which the movie cost the same as a regular dvd(just buy a portable dvd player with a 10 in screen much better!) you could download movies of the internet and but on memory stick(which again you have to buy a big enough one {man sony really is raking in the big bucks with this ripoff}) but who wants to pay for those and if you download them from like bearshare or limewire or do torrents for free they have horrible resolution.
-there are no good games oh wait there are only four good ones sorry my mistake (they are metal gear portable ops, ratchet and clank size matters, the gta games, and untold legends the warriors code and i am telling you those are the only good ones they're maybe some semi-mediocre ones that are not worth the money {oh yeah psp games cost the same as PS2 games 49.99, 39.99, and 29.99 for the really bad third person games})SO DONT BUY A PSP. DONT DO IT YOU WILL REGRET IT

-REASONS TO BUY A DS
- really good cheap games (the most they are priced at is $39.99)
-backwards compatibility with the GBA (this may or maynot be good)
-amazing possibility's, think if they are making mem. sticks with 8gb of memory on it and the ds game card is essentially a mem. stick they could have 8gb games so that means like 100hrs of game play(so think of legend of zelda twilight princess with only slightly worse graphics it would be amazing!!), better sound, slightly better graphics( the ARM 7 and 9 processors can only handle so much so slightly better graphics and shading), and better and longer CGI Cut scenes.
we should see at least a 2gb game card coming out really soon cause the best they have now is 1gb game cards and those have been out for a while so IDK THEY MIGHT BE MAKING GAMES ON 2GB MEMSTICKS RIGHT NOW!!!.
-CHEAP PRICE
SO DONT BUY THE PSP (WHY DO YOU THINK THEY DROPPED THE PRICE TO 169.99 BECAUSE IT WASNT SELLING{CAUSE IT SUCKS!!!})
BUY A DS YOU WILL BE HAPPIER IN THE LONG RUN TRUST ME I KNOW I AM.
hope this helped

Razer302
April 26th, 2007, 11:14 AM
I have both a PSP and DS Lite. My PSP is now gathering dust somewere. I forget were it is now. The DS has lots of games that are better than it. So what if PSP has a full media system. It isn't all that anyway. The story lines in the games are alot better. Sonic Rush and New Mario are the best games i have ever played on a handheld console. Other than pokemon Ruby.
In General the DS has alot of good games out now and is still getting them coming throught PSP games are just remakes of PS2 games.
Get a DS not a PSP.

Elverum
April 26th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I've owned both a PSP and a DS lite, and I'd definitely recommend the DS. The PSP does have much better graphics, but in my opinion it was difficult to hold and cramped my hands after awhile. That being said, there are some advantages of the PSP. RPGs are a big one, as they don't require that great of control, and the graphics really do improve the experience. First person shooters, oddly enough, also seem to be better on the PSP (probably because DS only has metriod prime hunters, which isn't really that much of a 'classic' FPS anyway).

Other than a few standout games however, the PSP is very difficult for a handheld. With the DS, you can close it any time, no matter where you are in a game, and it will automatically sleep at that point (effectively pausing your game until you're ready to play again). This makes it great for playing for five minutes while waiting for the bus, or other times when handhelds really shine. The PSP however, takes some time to sleep when you're done playing.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a jack of all trades machine (and you don't already own an mp3 player), the PSP can be rigged to play some great emulator games, and if you have the money you can buy a very large memory card, to load all the emulated games you want. You can play a few mp3s from it, but in my opinion a normal mp3 player is better. And finally, the movies look great on a PSP. But personally, I would rather watch them on a computer or TV.

So remember, if you just want games, DS is the way to go, if you want something that can do everything pretty well (not exceptionally, but just pretty well), you'd be happy with a PSP.

Hero of Time Link³
April 26th, 2007, 09:52 PM
PSP has a homebrew and emulators and DS had good games 'nuff' said

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
April 28th, 2007, 05:23 AM
I like the DS lite because I'm a Nintendo fan

:t354:~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~

MiSsInG nO
April 28th, 2007, 07:17 AM
hey dont buy a psp cause they have emulators cause that can potentially destroy your hardware and then you would be out a psp..
look this is what you do if you want a little of everything.
-buy a ds (its cheap and has really good games)
-then buy a multi media device like an ipod or zune then your set for life okay
JUST DONT BUY A PSP YOU WILL BE WASTING YOUR MONEY
they have no good games DONT DO IT. REPEAT. DONT DO IT.

Alistair
April 28th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Even though the PSP has homebrew, so does the DS.

I highly recommend the DS over the PSP. I, like many others here, have both. PSP games just aren't that good, or they are just ports. Besides the DS and its games being less expensive, there are many more people to play online with, if that's your thing. There is also a wider variety of games out there, and plenty of different control styles.

So, just avoid a hassle of finding good games, and get a DS.
I also recommend disregarding fanboy posts, such as "PSP has homebrew" and "I like DS." They are provdiding you no information.

Ichiro Miyamoto
April 28th, 2007, 11:10 AM
DS Lite

The battery lasts longer, it has more decent games and is durable.

Soujiro
May 3rd, 2007, 08:18 AM
All depends on what you're into. DS is pretty much a kiddie system (like every nintendo system except for maybe gamecube. That one actually had some cool Mature games. PSP has more mature action games and stuff.

TRIFORCE89
May 3rd, 2007, 06:36 PM
Soujiro, it was incredibly difficult for Nintendo to shake the GCN's "kiddie" image. I think you have it backwards. Nintendo increased the whole cutesy thing in their franchises during the GCN era.

Soujiro
May 5th, 2007, 07:06 PM
I dont think housing a bunch of mature games count as being cutesy. And having the mature games be big hits rises the mature Nintendo level.

This is horrible...This whole post goes against my first post XD

Mario The World Champion
May 5th, 2007, 07:39 PM
A DS or PSP? I got both systems.

The DS is the more superior of the handhelds and having a ton of good games with it, plus the dual screens with the touch feature is a major selling point. I still can't believe how small the DS games are. I did have a problem trying to find one when I tried to get mine.

The PSP can do everything except hack into computer systems. I use my PSP all the time to listen to music, look at photos, play its games and I'm still trying to learn how to go online with it. The game selection for the PSP is weak at best, plus your hands ache a bit after long sessions of playing. However, this is Sony's first real foray into the handheld war, so the system will be a bit iffy at first.

Overall, get a DS. I'm saying this because the DS can't play music like the PSP.

Hero of Time Link³
May 5th, 2007, 10:02 PM
i use the PSP for N64 emulators.emulators don't crash psp Flashing(editing how the psp looks) does but ds rules more!

Archer
May 6th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Get a ds and a flashcart for homebrew and music you still spend less than you would for a psp. DS closes the screen won't scratch in your pocket.

the DS is not for "kiddies" have you acctually played Castlevania, Resident Evil or Metroid?
Don't try and tell me that the psp is for older people. Loco Roco? WTF!

Also the DS has been remade compleytely, but the psp just changed colour. what do you think this means sony thinks about their product?

DS pwns PSP

Shiny Umbreon
May 6th, 2007, 08:20 AM
The PSP has a lot of features to play movies, music, etc. But if you want that, buy an iPod or something like that.

On the other hand,the DS is really a gaming console. With two screens, touch screen, microphone (kinda strange but useful) it is really focused in how the games are played and offers thousands of new ways to play. That's what I find impressive.

Esupio
May 7th, 2007, 02:00 AM
I dont think housing a bunch of mature games count as being cutesy. And having the mature games be big hits rises the mature Nintendo level.

This is horrible...This whole post goes against my first post XD

Chibi Robo.

you can't say thats mature.

I really should get a DS lite cause I need more battery life, but I don't wanna spend money on something I've basically already got.

PSP, I don't see a reason why I would need one, I have a DS for games and my creative zen for media (its an mp4)

yaminokaitou
May 8th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Chibi Robo.

you can't say thats mature.

Meh. Chibi-Robo's awesome (at least the gamecube one was).
Who cares if it's mature or not as long as you're having fun?

code zerro the deluge
May 19th, 2007, 02:51 PM
depends on what you want. psp is a ps2 controller with a screen. nice graphics, alright games, play music and movies cool.
ds, great games, alright/decent graphics. you cant really compare a cartridge to disc. ds games are more fun to me. plus tv shows, music etc

Jim
May 28th, 2007, 05:43 AM
I have a PSP and I'd prefer to own a DS, but from what I can see there's not many good games for the DS yet (Not completley sure). But the PSP has barely any. All Racing or Football/Soccer games. Plus as for PSPs' Media player, what's the point of having it as an MP3 player. You'd need huge pockets to fit it in. PSP get's dirty and scratched easily. I'm going to get a DS Lite with my birthday money this Thursday.

(White or Black?... Nah Pink! xD Also it's called Coral Pink like the Corsola in my signiture xD) Sorry for the off topicness.

Arcanine
May 28th, 2007, 09:07 AM
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v87/Arcanine_88/th_4856947964.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/Arcanine_88/4856947964.jpg)
Pretty isn't it? XD

I own both, and both do have their ups and downs. (chances are you already made up your mind long ago XD)

~ PSP ~
Pros:
Screen - It has a nice large wide screen. Nice for gaming, you'll be able to see more on it.

Memory - Memory Sticks does sound like a bad thing for the PSP, you have to go buy cards when it runs out. But the thing is, it's not half bad. Around here a 1 Gig card is only $30 (that's at EBGames/GameStop). And with that you can save movies or songs to it.

MP3 Player - This is likely the most use I get out of my PSP. Get a large enough card and you got yourself a portable MP3 Player.

Web Browser - It has a built in Web Browser where you're able to surf the web.

Picture Viewer - You want to show off some pics from your last trip, or show off your new pet, just upload the pics to the PSP and you're set.

UMDs - UMDs hold more data then a DS Card. So they're able to put more stuff on a PSP game then what they have on a DS.

Graphics - There isn't much to say about the graphics, other then it being better then what you can find on the DS (the graphics of the PSP is somewhat in the middle of the PS1 and the PS2. It's not PS2 graphics, but it's close enough. If you want an example, look at pics from Tekken 5 for the PS2, and Tekken: Dark Resurrection for the PSP).

Cons:
Web Browser - I don't know if it's just my memory stick, or my internet or what. But for me, the web browser on the PSP is total crap. The loading times sucks, it doesn't support everything, it's hard to type (putting in a simple URL takes forever) and the screen isn't large enough to see anything. It's not worth wasting your time with.

Battery Life - I'll just put it this way, if you plan on getting a PSP I do hope you stay home with it or like bringing the AC Adapter with you and looking for an outlet, because the battery life of the PSP sucks.

Games - IMO the PSP just doesn't have the good games I would like. There are maybe 3 games I want ATM (and I only own one game). I just can't find any good games for the PSP.

Computer - Just about anything you can do on the PSP you can do on a normal computer or a laptop (MP3 Player, Picture Viewer, Web Browser, Video Player. On top of that, a computer has a way larger screen for all of that).

~ DS ~
Pros:
Dual Screen - The two screens on the DS works well on many games. You got games like Mario Kart where the bottom screen is a nice large map. Or in Diamond you use it for attacks and your PokeTech. Or in Metroid Pinball both screens act as one. And so on. Both work really well and adds something new to games.

Touch Screen - Try making a new emblem on MKDS using the D-Pad and A button. It'd take ages. Or get to the bottom of a long list of items for Pearl. The touch screen works really really well on the DS.

Games - There are a good many DS I want and I also got a good many. To me the DS is the better of the two when it comes to games. It pretty much has something everyone can play.

GBA Games - If you got GBA games and don't feel like pulling out your GBA/SP/Micro everytime you want to play them just play them on the DS.

Number of Systems - Lets say you want to play MKDS online. You got a better chance to find someone to race on the DS then what you would with a racing game for the PSP. The DS has outsold the PSP 2 to 1 so there are more DS owners out there and you'll likely have a better chance to play someone online.

The Price - The PSP Core is like $170 (I guess that's the price now). For that price you can buy a DSLite and a game. The DSLite is $130 so when it comes to the price you're getting a better deal.

Cons:
Graphics - The DS graphics aren't up to par with the PSP's. Sure the DS can pull off some lovely and great looking FMVs (look at Final Fantasy III), but it isn't the PSP when it comes to graphics.

Older Games - If you're looking for more mature games you'll find more on the PSP. The DS is more of a mini-game/quick play system.

Online - IMO the online play of the DS isn't as good as I'd like it to be. Little things like me wanting 2 on 2 battles (with 4 trainers) on D/P, more then 4 racers on MKDS. And I wish the searching and FC stuff was made better.

DS Cards - They can't hold as much as the UMDs can. So if you had a UMD sized game you'll be having a good many DS Cards.

Over all, I play my DS far far more then my PSP. I only pull it out maybe 4 times a year and then it's only to have a song play or something. If I had to pick one to go with it'd be the DS.

Drahc
May 28th, 2007, 09:10 AM
^^^ long post.

DS is kinda better, i'd go with that o.o;

Inu
May 28th, 2007, 03:02 PM
PSP = more unique.
Good graphics and has better games.
^_^

Ninja Monkey
May 29th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Well the PSP doesn't have a lot of really good games, and if you want to use it as an MP3 player then it gets really expensive. The DS has more good games and has the entire GBA library as well, so that's a bonus. I'd say buy the DS if you want to game, and the PSP if you want to spend a lot of money on a multimedia player.

Piplup_WazUp
June 10th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I have a DS Lite and I would prefer it over PSP. They're coming out with internet soon. =]

Hero of Time Link³
June 10th, 2007, 10:15 PM
I have a DS Lite and I would prefer it over PSP. They're coming out with internet soon. =]the internet is already released and it is basicly the same as the Nintendo Wiis

Billwaa
June 20th, 2007, 01:39 PM
I will say PSP, it is very good for media entertainment. I use it along side with my Sony Ericsson phone. The memory card is interswap able. So I could download movies into the memory card with PSP to the phone and watch it there. Same with MP3... while I could also take picture with the phone and view them in the PSP for better view.

PurityForest
June 23rd, 2007, 04:43 AM
I would say, A DS Lite. Since it has Pokemon Games in it. :D

And is smaller. And can change the light Settings.

Shika
June 23rd, 2007, 05:29 AM
DS Lite.
PSP is good idea.
But I have R4 and can play mp3,4.

Chikara
June 23rd, 2007, 06:53 AM
I'm outdated! ;___;

I have to say DS lite. I recently replaced my DS bulky edition with the lite, and I LOVE it. Even though I don't have a PSP, my friends complain to me hoe is keeps on breaking all the time, so I know that part. The whole 'it plays movies and music' is fine and dandy if you want a thing with about 2 hours of battery time, and most of the time you can't even see the screen.

That's just what I've heard about it, I'm not sure if it's true, but I would still choose the DS because I like the games better.

Esupio
June 23rd, 2007, 07:09 AM
the internet is already released and it is basicly the same as the Nintendo Wiis

Nothing like it
The loading is slow especially with pictures
no flash support
some buttons don't load (hotmail sign in one in particular)

The Real AAA
June 23rd, 2007, 10:16 AM
I would prefer an XBP(Xbox Portable)

csx
June 27th, 2007, 06:50 AM
deffo psp but i like the ds but the psp beats it

psp has better graphix better screen is has homebrew and the person who said a emulator brakes the psp is wrong flashing the psp carries a small chance of a brick but useally only stupid ppl brkae there psp.
you can get the games for free aswell as ps1 games gba games sega games nes and snes games evry thing so choose the psp unless you want a ds game.

face it the psp kills the ds and every one on here is a nintendo fan boy so what change dose it have of getting a decent comment, but dont get me wrong i still like the ds

Ariolander
July 3rd, 2007, 01:10 PM
Nah the PSP just doesn't have the quality titles. Of all the games coming out this year I found 3 worth adding to my GameSpot tracked list. I have already bought 3 DS games and I got a couple more tracked as well.

I am primarily a gamer and while graphics and media features are cool and all what I want is a consistant output of titles.

The PS/PS2 -> PSP ports don't count as titles either... I am looking at you Disgaea PSP... Ohhh how I wanna buy you.

Shinji_
July 6th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Get a DS lite Why? Becuase its more fun :P Hahaha PSP I never really liked and its kinda weird to use.