PDA

View Full Version : Movie Chronology..

TeaDog
May 22nd, 2007, 05:05 PM
Hi

I recently started watching the first season of Pokemon again, and I have a question regarding the movies. Where do they fit in? I remember watching three different movies; one with Mew/Mewtwo, one with Lugia, and one with Unown. Can somebody tell me where these fit in with the anime? As of now I'm up to episode 45. I think the first movie starts after episode 50 (52?), the second after ~100, and the third after ~150. Is that right? I want to make sure I watch the movies at the right place in the anime, and before I continue past them.

Thanks

Forci Stikane
May 23rd, 2007, 06:24 AM
Don't worry too much about it. The placement of the movies is so vague that you could get away with watching them just before the league of their matching season and it would fit. The second movie might be the exception to that, though...

TeaDog
May 23rd, 2007, 06:58 PM
Well, then I'll watch the first movie sometime soon after episode 50.

About the second movie, when in the anime is it? You said it's an exception, and I know there's Lugia, but I don't want to watch it too early in case of spoilers, for example seeing Brock's Vulpix in the first movie's trailer before seeing him get it in the show.

Forci Stikane
May 24th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Well, then I'll watch the first movie sometime soon after episode 50.

About the second movie, when in the anime is it? You said it's an exception, and I know there's Lugia, but I don't want to watch it too early in case of spoilers, for example seeing Brock's Vulpix in the first movie's trailer before seeing him get it in the show.

Watch the first movie between when Ash gets his 7th badge and his 8th and you should be alright.

I say that the 2nd movie might be an exception because of the nature of the season. Since it doesn't have 8 badges or a "training" period to deal with, there's less leeway. It would probably best work just after Ash gets the 2nd Orange Island badge. Of course, don't take that as a definite, since some of the important details fail me right now. Like whether or not Charizard was out of its "rebellious phase".

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
May 24th, 2007, 12:41 PM
What I do is watch the episodes and movies and determine what Pokemon the crew has in the movies and fit them right in the anime series

:t354:~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~

Sunflorazumarill
May 25th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Actuallt, the first movie can't happen around Epidose 50 or 52 due to the fact of a few episodes that happen way after it involving events leading to the first movie. Here's the correct placement of the first movie:

In the episode where Ash gets his eigth and final badge, Giovanni took Mewtwo to his headquarters. Sometime in between Ash getting his final badge and heading toward the Indigo Plateau, Mewtwo escapes from the base, meaning that the first movie has to happen sometime after that.

Forci Stikane
May 25th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Actuallt, the first movie can't happen around Epidose 50 or 52 due to the fact of a few episodes that happen way after it involving events leading to the first movie. Here's the correct placement of the first movie:

In the episode where Ash gets his eigth and final badge, Giovanni took Mewtwo to his headquarters. Sometime in between Ash getting his final badge and heading toward the Indigo Plateau, Mewtwo escapes from the base, meaning that the first movie has to happen sometime after that.

That's right...so the movie was actually taking place throughout the entire second half of the first season (since Gary's battle was included, as well as several others...and Mewtwo made other cameos in his suit of armor).

I think that the 8th Gym battle happened just before Mewtwo escaped, since Team Rocket apologized for it or something...so...let's be lenient and say that it took a few weeks for Mewtwo to get everything up and running, so that would place the movie's main event about a third of the way through Ash's "training episodes".

Charaxes
May 25th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Lemme me try.

I would place it after Indigo but right before OI as it would make for good transition in the down time. After all, Indigo was the foremost concern in every episode or if not that, the badges. Besides, I think Mewtwo's base looked for too elaborate for just a month or two of construction. But that's just me.

I haven't seen the movie in years, so I forget if he had his Pidgeotto on hand. I don't think he did.

Viz's artbook on the movie art could help illuminate. I'll have to dig for my copy.

Forci Stikane
May 26th, 2007, 04:33 AM
Lemme me try.

I would place it after Indigo but right before OI as it would make for good transition in the down time. After all, Indigo was the foremost concern in every episode or if not that, the badges. Besides, I think Mewtwo's base looked for too elaborate for just a month or two of construction. But that's just me.

I haven't seen the movie in years, so I forget if he had his Pidgeotto on hand. I don't think he did.

Viz's artbook on the movie art could help illuminate. I'll have to dig for my copy.

Problem:

In the beginning of the movie Ash is battling another trainer for training, but in between those two events he would have had no reason to train. I think they even mention that he's training for the Pokemon League. And let us not forget that Mewtwo's base was essentially the rebuilding of the lab where he was made.

And one of the other trainers had a Pidgeot, so there was no reason to include Pidgeotto regardless of whether he had it or not.

TeaDog
May 26th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Well I watched the movie, and finished the Indigo league season.

Episode 67 is when Mewtwo breaks out from Giovanni's lab. Since this same exact scene is also in the beginning of the first movie, I think its safe to say the movie takes place during and after ep 67, maybe just before Ash enters the league.

It would also make sense to watch the movie after the Indigo League, but BEFORE episode 81 or 82, where Ash releases Pigeot, since in the movie he has Pidgeotto.

Thanks for the help in determining where it goes. Now I just need to figure out the same thing for movies 2 and 3.. right now I'm on episode 94, in the Orange island season.

TeaDog
May 30th, 2007, 05:41 PM
I think I just figured it out.

I am coming to the end of season 3, somewhere in the middle of Johto Journeys. So far there has been one movie for each season; The First Movie might go after episode 51, which is the end of season 1. Pokemon: 2000 would go after season 2, which is in the middle of the Orange Islands saga. And the third movie, Spell of the Unown, could go after the third season, somewhere in the middle of Johto Journeys.

This means each movie is meant to be seen after their corresponding season, which makes sense to me. With the first two movies, the trio's pokémon match up from the end of one season, to its movie, to the start of the next season, which is the next episode in the show.

(indigo league)
Season One 1-51
Movie 1
Season Two 52-83
(orange islands)
Season Two 84-101
Movie 2
Season Three 102-118
(johto journeys)
Season Three 119-153
Movie 3
etc.