PDA

View Full Version : Kutaragi steps down from PlayStation

Gunn
June 19th, 2007, 05:41 PM
CNN.com - Tokyo, Japan (http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/biztech/06/19/japan.sony.ap/index.html) ... - "The chief architect of Sony's PlayStation game console stepped down on Tuesday as the Japanese company struggles to defend its dominance in the video game industry and revive its reputation as an electronics pioneer.

Ken Kutaragi, 56, stepped down as Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.'s chairman and group chief executive, the gaming unit said Tuesday. The unit is now headed by Kazuo Hirai, SCE's former president and chief operating officer.

Kutaragi had already been relieved of day-to-day responsibilities as president last year but stayed on as its chief executive and chairman.

Though no longer a board member, Kutaragi will hold an advisory post at the gaming unit, according to SCE official Sayoka Henmi.

The departure of Kutaragi, an icon among gamers, marks the end of an era at Sony Corp. that saw the company long dominate the video game industry with its flagship PlayStation consoles."

Oh, I don't think this is really something to weep about ...

... ... wait yes it is. It just made me think, what if Miyamoto stepped down from Nintendo? Though, I don't see a reason for him leaving.

Your thoughts?

Yoshistar64
June 20th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Wow, I can't say that I almost cried, but it was almost that way. I felt like a rival of Kutaragi, even if I barely knew him. I mean, he's worked with SCE for I honestly don't know how long. How must PlayStation fans feel? Man, sometimes I hate being philosophical.

Mario The World Champion
June 23rd, 2007, 09:28 PM
I've never read much about him to hold an opinion about him. Hopefully, the new guy will fix some of the problems the PS3 has right now.

Chikara
June 23rd, 2007, 09:31 PM
Hmmm! Interesting, indeed!

Kuturagi-kun must have had his fill of yen spewing from all his work v.v

Captain Arcane
June 23rd, 2007, 09:39 PM
I feel bad for the poor guy, just look at PS3, now I'm not bagging on it, but sierously, c'mon, that thing is way to expensive, and is filled with so much stuff, that a normal gamer will never use.

Its sad really -_-

TRIFORCE89
June 24th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Miyamoto's not the president of Nintendo though. ;x It'd be a loss, but he's a creative force. Nintendo's past head has left and the company went outside the family. :o

Its just business. Something Sony doesn't have a firm grasp on. The point is to make a new product and sell it. And when you sell it you don't want to lose money one each purchase. @@

Punishment
June 24th, 2007, 08:23 PM
And when you sell it you don't want to lose money one each purchase. @@

Actually alot of companies do that as a business strategy. It worked with the Playstation 2. In fact Microsoft is doing that same thing with the 360. I also think the Wii is in the same thing. But it doesnt have all those gadgets and functions so Nintendo isnt losing much.

Eventually they will use cheaper technology to make their consoles.

Captain Arcane
June 24th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Yes, all companies loose money from the systems they create and sell, they get the money from the games, thats were the dough rolls in from.

TRIFORCE89
June 29th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Actually alot of companies do that as a business strategy. It worked with the Playstation 2. In fact Microsoft is doing that same thing with the 360. I also think the Wii is in the same thing. But it doesnt have all those gadgets and functions so Nintendo isnt losing much.

Eventually they will use cheaper technology to make their consoles.

Yes, but the PS2 wasn't so expensive as to prevent sales of the console. Where Sony makes money is from the software on its console. If they don't sell enough PS3s to make a profit in return of their software then its even worse that they're losing money on each console sold.