PDA

View Full Version : Pronunciations

Ichida
June 28th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Any Pokemon's name pronunciations surprise you? I just destroyed Taylor's Bibarel, and the announcer pronounced it "Bee-barrel." Before then I had always said "Bib'a-rell." Same with Rotom. I was saying "wrote-om," but the announcer said "Row-Tom." Anyone else get surprised like this?

Scyther5
June 28th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Yeah! I was hoping to see how the announcer would say Pachirisu. One of the ones I noticed was Fortress, I said it like Fort-tress and the announcer said Foret-tress. Its happened alot with other pokemon too, thats just the only one I can recall.

Ichida
June 28th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Yeah, I always said "Pa'cheer-E-su," then he calls it "Pah-chi'ree-su." Weird. I never liked Pachirisu that much anyways.

PokemonRox
June 28th, 2007, 06:06 AM
yeah linoone. i said it like lin-oone but the announcer said line-oone

Pkmn Trainer Alex
June 28th, 2007, 08:09 AM
My sister gets annoyed whenever the announcer says "muh-rill", and accent on the "ril", instead of "mair-il", with the long A and accent on the "mair" (sorry, pronunciations are hard for me to explain).

I was hoping this would be a good way to hear the correct pronunciations of the less common or already passed Pokémon, with regards to the anime, but now I don't think it will be as reliable as I would want. -_- Still nice though, so can't complain much.

Caleb290
June 28th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Yeah I dont have the game yet but on the tv show they dont even say it right... err unless I say it wrong.. but I wish the names would be more simple like "Bob" or 'Fred" haha now they come up with hippipodon or something

RSL
June 28th, 2007, 10:46 AM
I pronounce:
Pachirisu PAH-chih-riz
Ekans EE-cans
Misdreavus MISS-dree-vuss
Mismagius MISS-mag-us
Linonne LIE-oon
Grotle GROW-tle

Yet apprantly Gates hasn't gotten the drift.

I know there are multiple pronounciations for the word Pokemon (in my case, Gates is saying it wrong; it's KAH, not KEY or KAY.), and there may be multiple sayings for some Pogeys too. Remember, you can always turn that option off if you're pissed.

OffRoadSP
June 28th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Here's one I noticed yesterday... the announcer says "Pon-NE-ta" instead of "PON-ne-ta". But yeah, minor gripes for an overall cool game.

NocturnLeader
June 28th, 2007, 11:19 AM
The announcer get annoying a times, but ya he does say the names wierd. I was like... um dude you Pronounced it wrong, say it with me now Pony-TA!

I hate when he says "PPPPPPP is slowly losing health..." and he saounds kind of geeky towards the end.

Ichida
June 28th, 2007, 12:05 PM
I know there are multiple pronounciations for the word Pokemon (in my case, Gates is saying it wrong; it's KAH, not KEY or KAY.)

It is supposed to be Poh-kay-mon, since the e is accented, as with the word anime. The only reason anyone thinks otherwise is because the actors read it wrong. I'm guessing their scriptwriters don't bother to insert an accented e into the scripts.

SuperiorHominid
June 28th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Japanese syllables basically always start with consonants. Just remember that
An exception is when words start with vowel sounds

RSL
June 29th, 2007, 07:09 PM
However, the accented e is at the END of anime. If it's in the MIDDLE, it's anyone's guess.

Zyph
June 29th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Kyogre

I pronounce it Kio-grey. He pronounces it Kai-oger

And Ponyta. I prononce it like Pony-ta. He says Ponita.

Forci Stikane
June 30th, 2007, 07:29 AM
I noticed this too. Normally, for pronounciations I just go with the anime, which makes it annoy me when the announcer pronounces Togetic as "Toh-ge-tik" with an emphasis on the "ge", as opposed to the "Toh-guh-tick" in the show.

However, the accented e is at the END of anime. If it's in the MIDDLE, it's anyone's guess.

...?? Um, Ichida's right...

ThatInsaneKid
June 30th, 2007, 07:41 AM
One Pokemon I hate most is Roserade. I pronounce it "Roser-odd". He pronounces it "Rose-rade". I can't stand it.

That's really the only one I've noticed so far ((seeing as how I don't actually own the game... Or a Wii...)), but there's a few others that bugged me that I can't remember.

Mizer
June 30th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Feraligatr

What does that sound like according to the announcer?

~Misty~
June 30th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Feraligatr

What does that sound like according to the announcer?

Fur-ral-i-gater, I heard it on Youtube!

Ichida
June 30th, 2007, 08:52 AM
One Pokemon I hate most is Roserade. I pronounce it "Roser-odd". He pronounces it "Rose-rade". I can't stand it.

It IS Rose-rade. The name comes from the word masquerade.

RSL
July 1st, 2007, 12:30 PM
I noticed this too. Normally, for pronounciations I just go with the anime, which makes it annoy me when the announcer pronounces Togetic as "Toh-ge-tik" with an emphasis on the "ge", as opposed to the "Toh-guh-tick" in the show.

...?? Um, Ichida's right...

How so? The accented e is in the MIDDLE, not the END. Besides, if I hear anyone say it as KEY or KAY, I will litterally ask them "What year is it?" Answer that question correctly, then I'll say that your pronounciation is still stuck in the '90's, because it changed after the fad died down.

от_Ian
July 1st, 2007, 12:35 PM
it's possible the announcer has a messed up accent.

also, I have not been surprised by the pronounciations that I've read, including the OP.

Pkmn Trainer Alex
July 1st, 2007, 01:33 PM
Pokémon is just Pocket Monsters put together, as that is a common occurrence in Japanese. Pocket Monster would be pronounced "Po-ke-to Mon-sta", with emphasis put on the "ke". So the "kay" pronunciation is what makes sense, though more subtle.

Po-keh-mon. ^^;

Ichida
July 1st, 2007, 02:02 PM
How the bloody hell can the pronunciation of a word change because it's old? It is, was, and always will be Poh-KAY-mon.

от_Ian
July 1st, 2007, 02:54 PM
Well, I suppose with some background on how Japanese pronounce words, it makes it a little clearer how some of them are supposed to be pronounced, but still I think that's semi-invalid because their names change when they come over here anyway.

but it's po'kay'mon
or as I like to say teh pokedemanz.

Pogiforce-14
July 2nd, 2007, 06:04 PM
Any Pokemon's name pronunciations surprise you? I just destroyed Taylor's Bibarel, and the announcer pronounced it "Bee-barrel." Before then I had always said "Bib'a-rell." Same with Rotom. I was saying "wrote-om," but the announcer said "Row-Tom." Anyone else get surprised like this?

I pronounce Bibarel same as you. I pronounce Rotom Rot-um. Togetic, which I pronounce toe-gu-tick, they pronounce toe-get-ick. with emphasis on the first syllable. The pronunciations are wierd, but listening to the cartoon, which is supposedly saying them right, most of the pronunciations greatly differ from what I expected. They're made up words after all, the regular rules for for figuring out a pronunciation go out the window.

Oh, and in the older cartoon, they pronounced it POgumon. it was like they all were struck with sinuses on the second syllable. and that came back for the Master of Mirage POkemon movie too. I personally pronounce it po-kuh-mon, but I know the proper pronunciation is pokaymon.

Endless_Winters
July 3rd, 2007, 10:58 AM
I actually never thought about this, as I've yet to buy PBR, but I'm definitely going to be listening more intently when playing.

Here's the way I pronounce the following names:
Rotom as "Row-Tom"
Ponyta as "Poh-nee-tah"
Bibarel as "Bih-bar-el"
Togetic as "Toh-geh-tick"
Gardevoir as "Gar-de-voir"
Porygon as "Poor-ee-gone"
and Roserade "Rose-er-ade"

It seems when there's a consonant paired with an i, the announcer pronounces the i as a long "e" sound. (Hence Bibarel being pronounced "Bee-Barel"). Along with using different sounds, it seems to me that the announcer places emphasis on different syllables than what the majority of us are used to. I suppose that could really throw you off. o_O

Oh, on random note: I can't stand when Pokémon is pronounced poh-key-mon. It drives me absolutely nuts. Dunno why, really.

Ichikool
July 3rd, 2007, 11:06 AM
I got the game just yesterday, so I didn;t hear everything yet. But I heard Maril, and the way the announcer said it. It was like Muh-rill instead of Mair-ill.

RSL
July 4th, 2007, 08:51 AM
There's something out there called, what was it now?...

COEXIST.

Multiple pronounciations (even if one says it's wrong) can still live by one another.

I just play PBR w/ the announcer off anyway.

vizforte
August 6th, 2007, 06:50 PM
How so? The accented e is in the MIDDLE, not the END. Besides, if I hear anyone say it as KEY or KAY, I will litterally ask them "What year is it?" Answer that question correctly, then I'll say that your pronounciation is still stuck in the '90's, because it changed after the fad died down.

Ichida is indeed correct. Technically most of us have been reading Pokemon wrongly for years, it even shows us in the title. Its actually a slang off of Pocket Monsters. Satoshi Tajiri named it Poke Mon. But took out the space between the ending e and the starting M. So the e is technically then end of the word Poke. IE it isnt in the middle.

As for pronounciations of pokemon, my kid and I have been going over this for awhile. As I myself had studied many languaged Japanese included, that make up for some interesting ways to say different pokemon names. Like Pachirisu, I personally think it looks like a Latin name too me. So I personally pronounce it this way. Pah-chee-riss- oo, my kid like most say Pa-tchee-rEE-soo. Now in the japanese it shouldnt have any pronounciation on the ending u, as u's are almost always silent in the japanese tongue, in such names like Yusuke, NOT pronounces Yuu-soo-kee, actually is Yoos-kay. So in japanese would probably be Pah-chah-rees~ leaving the S rolling at the end of the word. Hence the tilde.

Pronounciations are a fun thing to guess and hear correctly wrongly or way the hell off, when it comes to games from Japan, then translation to English, heck even Portugese, which it has more relation to becomes funny. Checkout Wiki for some interesting name translations of your favorite pokemon, and by wiki I mean Bulbapedia. The Pokemon Wikipedia. ^^

RSL
August 7th, 2007, 08:26 AM
True, but "Pokemon" is still one word.

Faceless*
August 7th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Hmm I think its strange how there pronounce Palkia

I always said something like Pol-ki-a, the announcer says Pal-ki-a

Pkmn Trainer Alex
August 7th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Eh, multiple pronunciations to a word can exist, but this only really applies to words that have been around long enough for people to develop other accepted pronunciations to a word, and I don't think 10 years is enough yet. Especially when you consider "Pokémon" is a made up word that Nintendo has full reign on how it should be said. It still makes me cringe a bit when I hear people say kamikaze "ka-meh-ka-zee" instead of "ka-mi-ka-zeh". But the former pronunciation is accepted in America, simply because the term was used so much to describe those pilots, even if that isn't the actual meaning, or original usage, of the term.

Not to mention the fact that the way you say "Pokémon" gives you a label and an image of just where you are coming from: whether you're someone who follows Pokémon from the American media, or someone who acknowledges Japan and their original creation. How you choose to say it won't stop the fact, however, that the original and widely-accepted (by "Pokémon enthusiasts") pronunciation is still Poh-keh-mohn. Let's just all go with "Poketto Monsta" now. That would be awesome. XD

Btw, this thread is passed its expiration date, as it is over a month old. x_x

Hmm I think its strange how there pronounce Palkia

I always said something like Pol-ki-a, the announcer says Pal-ki-a

I think Pal-ki-a should be right, as the original name is Parukia and remained basically unchanged when it went English.

Te-em
August 7th, 2007, 09:18 AM
I have mp3 files of all the first 151 pokemon, how their names are pronounced. And Pachirisu is pronounced: pa-chi-ri-su. Yes the u may not be heard here, remmeber that all the vowels are short it this name.

wolfie1177
August 7th, 2007, 10:08 AM
I always thought Lucario was pronounced "Lou-Sar-Ee-O", with a s sound for the c, but the announcer said it "Lou-Car-Ee-O"

Ichida
August 7th, 2007, 05:54 PM
The Lucario movie calls him "Lu-car-ee-oh" as well. Prior to watching it, I had called him "Lu-care-ee-oh."

Palkia? Pahl-kee-uh.

~Mithos~
August 7th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I always thought it was Swee-cuun and kie-oh-ger...

i'm really bad at these although i'll always call them that.

Ichida
August 7th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Suicune and Kyogre? I call them Soo-ee-coon and kyo-gurr. *shrug*

RileyVace
August 7th, 2007, 07:15 PM
I pronounce stuff wrong apparently, like I always used to pronounce Groudoon as GREW-DON, but then i realized he's named after the word 'ground', so i pronounce it GRAIL-DON.
I always pronounced Kyogre right - KAI-OH-GER.
I also pronounce:
PA-CHI-REE-SU - Pachirisu
ROSE-EL-EE-AA -Roselia
ROSE-EH-RAH_DAY - Roserade
LEW-CAR-RIO - Lucario
FUR-ALILLGATOR - Feraligatr
GROVE-ALL - Grovyle
GROW-TALL -Grotle
SUE-EE-SOON-EH - Suicune
EN-TAY - Entei
PRADHJ-YSHTEG-AHDYY - Pikachu (cos I hate that little ****)
I hate saying Regice, cos it always sounds like I'm saying 'Rejoice'

Always and Never
August 7th, 2007, 07:17 PM
I used to call Suicune, "Soo-ih-soon" [I think it sounds much cooler]

I call it, "Kai-ogre"

I saw on Youtube he pronounces it "Ar-see-oose". I always that that it was "Ar-soose" sense it is the god of all pokemon, and Zeus is the god of all greek gods.

lucario1957
August 7th, 2007, 07:23 PM
i heard the announcer say them but i still say them how i think they are pronounced

~Mithos~
August 7th, 2007, 07:28 PM
i thought ar-see-us, this is fun =]

RayquazaWrath
August 7th, 2007, 07:32 PM
My cuz is soo funny. He calls Bibarel Bee-bar-rel. and he calls torterra tort-er-a

Ichida
August 7th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I pronounce stuff wrong apparently, like I always used to pronounce Groudoon as GREW-DON, but then i realized he's named after the word 'ground', so i pronounce it GRAIL-DON.

...where the hell did you get "grail-don?" It's "Gra'ow-don."

I hate saying Regice, cos it always sounds like I'm saying 'Rejoice'

I used to think it was "reg-ice," but apparently it's "reg'ee-ice."

He calls Bibarel Bee-bar-rel

So does PBR.

RSL
August 8th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Doesn't Regice have only 1 I?

Meanwhile, I've composed the BIG list of all "mispronounced" Pokemon in PBR. With 44 and counting, I sure hope Ken Gates does not voice the next PBR-esque game, he's terrible. And if this reaches 50 or more, I'm e-mailing Nintendo about this.

Notice that OVER HALF of all these names come from either Hoenn or Sinnoh.
Sinnoh alone makes up half this list.

Pidgeotto (no "e")
Pidgeot (no "e")
Ekans (EEE-kans not ECK-ans)
Magneton (TON not TUN)
Doduo (no accent)
Dodrio (no accent)
Meganium (MEH, not MUH)
Ledyba (LAY-dee-bah, not LED-ee-bah)
Ledian (LAY-dee-anne, not LED-ee-anne)
Togepi (no accent)
Togetic (no accent)
Misdreavus (VUS not VIS, there's no I in the name)
Unown (no "k"
Piloswine (PIE-low-swine, not PILLOW-swine)
Mightyena (no "t")
Linoone (Lie-OONE, not LINE-noon)
Hariyama (HAIR not HAR)
Manectric (MAN not MANE)
Roselia (ROZ-ay-lia, not ROZ-ell-ia)
Illumise (ILL-u-mize, not Ill-u-MYS-E)
Milotic (Mill-o-TIC not MY-law-TIC)
Banette (BAN not BAY)
Gorebyss (no "e")
Bagon (no accent)
Regice (no accent, only one I)
Turtwig (TURT-wig not TUR-twig)
Grotle (GROW-tle not GRAW-tle)
Empoleon (EAN not EON)
Roserade (Roz-err-rade, not Roz-rade)
Vespiquen (VESS-pee-queen, not VESS-ih-quen)
Cherrim (no accent)
Pachirisu (PAH-cha-riz, not PAH-chi-REE-sue)
Bonsly (Bons-LEE not Bons-LIE)
Chatot (TUT not TOT)
Mismagius (no "i")
Glameow (GLAY not GLAW)
Purugly (no accent)
Garchomp (no accent)
Hippopotas (no accent)
Lumineon (no "i")
Magmortar (TAR not TER)
Togekiss (no accent)
Uxie (OOO-xie not YOU-xie)
Dialga (DIE-al-gah not DEE-al-gah)
Phione (FEE-own not FEE-own-e)
Arceus (ARR-sus not ARR-see-OOSE)

Kayke™
August 8th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Thank goodness we have the option to make him shut up. :P

But I'm sure we can all agree, the original announcer in Stadium was by far better than this guy. I think the original PS had one error..."EEKANS!"

RSL
August 8th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Thank goodness we have the option to make him shut up. :P

But I'm sure we can all agree, the original announcer in Stadium was by far better than this guy. I think the original PS had one error..."EEKANS!"

His name was Eric Stuert, the "old" voice of James.

Ichida
August 8th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Doesn't Regice have only 1 I?

Watch the Lucario movie. "Reg'ee-ice."

Zyph
August 8th, 2007, 08:39 PM
I don't care what people say, I'm still pronouncing Kyogre like "kee-YOH-grey."

Te-em
August 8th, 2007, 11:37 PM
It's Reji-Ice. I think reji or regi is latin for king or something.
Kaiogre/Kaiouga is the japanese word kai (ocean) pronounced kye. And the ouga/ogre (probably supposed to sound like orca, a kind of whale, but japanese sometimes replace c/k with g in names like this). So it would be spelled Kaiorga. But many pkmn are spelled wrong already :(.

Jolt
August 9th, 2007, 11:28 AM
The one they screwed up a lot on was Latias.
Even in the movie, it's pronounced "Lah - tee - ahs" while the announcer says, "Lah - tee - ehs", which annoys me a lot.. not that I use Ubers anyways.

~Mithos~
August 9th, 2007, 11:58 AM
wow la-teeh-ehs just sounds dumb I mean imagine somebody calling me mee-thes, mixing up the last vowel that would tick me off =D

anyways another one I can't seem to figure out is torkoal, is it torr-kul, or torr-kal?

RSL
August 9th, 2007, 12:09 PM
If you still look at the word, there is only 1 I, not 2. (the anime makes similar mistakes)
Also:

Ampharos (AMM-far-aws not AMM-far-ous)
Latias (AS not ES)

Te-em
August 16th, 2007, 05:45 AM
In the 5th movie they say latiasu, which should be latias without the japanese accent. I hate when people say la-tee-as, because that's wrong.