PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Theory

m
June 29th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Ok. Like the title says.

I have just recently been learning guitar theory. Basically, the science behind guitar playing.

If anybody who plays guitar, and/or knows this theory, help me answer my question.

Im actually starting to understand it. As complicated as it is...
But theirs sorta a problem. I can understand this Guitar Theory but I dont understand how it helps you wright better songs and solos.

If you can help me, I would be most grateful. Thanks!

marz
June 30th, 2007, 04:48 PM
K, well I play Guitar... I don't know much about Guitar Theory since my Guitar teacher was really laid back and let me choose a song I wanted to play, then he taught it to me.
But... I do fiddle around on the guitar A LOT. And I make up some tunes all the time. So, from experience, I can tell you this:
Guitar Theory lets you know exactly what notes put together can make something sound good. If you've got no idea what you're doing; where you place your fingers, strumming patterns, palm muting, etc., you'll go nowhere. You'll play something and tell yourself "wow, that sounds like crap."

If you know Guitar Theory, you'd know how to exactly plan stuff out for your tune. Know that an E chord sounds great if followed by a G chord, for example. Know what kind of strumming pattern you should use if you're song's a happy, sad, mad, etc type of song. You need to know these things to be actually able to play a good enough song.

Anyways, that's what I think it's about. I've never actually read this Guitar Theory stuff, but at least I play guitar. xD

m
June 30th, 2007, 05:46 PM
K, well I play Guitar... I don't know much about Guitar Theory since my Guitar teacher was really laid back and let me choose a song I wanted to play, then he taught it to me.
But... I do fiddle around on the guitar A LOT. And I make up some tunes all the time. So, from experience, I can tell you this:
Guitar Theory lets you know exactly what notes put together can make something sound good. If you've got no idea what you're doing; where you place your fingers, strumming patterns, palm muting, etc., you'll go nowhere. You'll play something and tell yourself "wow, that sounds like crap."

If you know Guitar Theory, you'd know how to exactly plan stuff out for your tune. Know that an E chord sounds great if followed by a G chord, for example. Know what kind of strumming pattern you should use if you're song's a happy, sad, mad, etc type of song. You need to know these things to be actually able to play a good enough song.

Anyways, that's what I think it's about. I've never actually read this Guitar Theory stuff, but at least I play guitar. xD

Thanks Marz, I think I know a lot more about guitar now. If anyone knows anything else, please post!

Careful With That Axe, Pichu!
June 30th, 2007, 05:52 PM
I'd recommend studying music notation along with guitar technical theory. You know those punks that call themselves musicians, ignoring what that is. Knowing music notation at a certain depth can certainly help you building solid song structures and solos, if that's what you want.

That said, part of what you're learning and what you want to learn would then involve studying music theory as a whole. Merging guitar techincality with that is the key. You'll be able to understand scales as musical progressions and not 'little stairs on the fretboard'. You'll be able to combine, like Marz implied, different chords and arpeggios. It's up to you.

umbreon67696
June 30th, 2007, 06:01 PM
I play some guitar...I love to play. I play everyday...I really don't know much about the guitar theory. Where can you learn about it at?

m
July 1st, 2007, 03:18 PM
Thanks to marz, and "careful with that axe pichu" lol, for the help. And umbreon, you can learn about it from a teacher but I just looked it up on the internet.

umbreon67696
July 2nd, 2007, 05:15 PM
Kewl. I'll deffinitely have to check that out some time soon. :) Is it really difficult to understand?

marz
July 2nd, 2007, 08:11 PM
Kewl. I'll deffinitely have to check that out some time soon. :) Is it really difficult to understand?

I'm sure if what you stated earlier (that you love to play guitar) is true, you'll surely want to, and be enthusiastic about learning Guitar Theory. It shouldn't be too hard if you like to fiddle around and find out things like chord progression on your own, and to know that Guitar Theory will help you even further, you should find Guitar Theory interesting enough to not find it hard, and to look at it as something very positive, even if it were to be hard.
And, I'm not sure if 'understanding' is the correct term, here. Understanding guitar theory should be easy, provided that your teacher or the provider makes it clear. Other than that, you have to experiment with what you learned, that way you'll get the hang of it much quicker, and faster, and it will be much easier to understand.
Of course, you may come across some weird terms that you might not understand, for example a Tie Note or Heavy Accent Note, in that case just Google it, and it should tell you all about it.

*A Tie Note is a note written after a note, but instead of actually playing that note, you're "tying" it with the other one, thus not playing it.
**A Heavy Accent Note is just as it sounds, you just give that note a heavy accent.

m
July 5th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Thanks everyone for the help. Im finally back from my family vacation, and im going to play guitar a lot more.