The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Blogs > Pachirisu Power
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Pachirisu Power | Blog Notes. (Read me) | Internetz
パチリス電源
Just another average, self-centered PC blog. What else did you expect?

Images from here By almosthereicons on LJ.


Rate this Entry

On Username Decor...

Posted July 2nd, 2013 at 06:40 PM by Melody

I actually kind of liked the cute little badges that, was likely Audy's idea, were dreamed up. :D

I was quite disappointed that the backlash was so great last night that I wake up to find the change reverted. I had noticed the change myself but I had seen it on someone's blog and thought that maybe they had some special CSS access that I didn't, or something like that and was going to ask them about it later. If things had taken a natural relaxed course I would have come on today and found it was a global change, and quite frankly one I think we needed. Mostly because to be quite honest, theming and styling your profile and blog around the username colors is a pain...there's always ONE usergroup you can't read because of the colors, so you generally end up being forced to pick and choose which group's usernames you'll neglect this time, which is totally not nice.

That being said, I did have an idea concerning those and making them more readable based on the few legitimate critiques on the style that I found in the feedback thread about it, now closed because of what was unfortunately a massive overreaction by the more change resistant of our community. From what I can tell; the OP of the thread seemed more worried that there was some sort of error instead.

Anyways here's my idea:
Use the tags as usual, but stick to the old Bold/Italic scheme of things like so. People can then use the bold/italic status of the name in Who's Online to find the username the tag is associated with.

Username Username Username

Of course that's not my only idea. Prefixing a colorful symbol to their name might be useful, and these symbols are in the unicode namespace. This still gets the point across while retaining the colors that people seem to care for. This method also retains Bold/Italic for the username itself. Looks a bit like this:

Admin
Staff Admin
SMod
Mod
Supporter

Another idea is just come up with smaller badges. Perhaps something that takes up no more space than the unicode symbols do. Even solid color bars/blocks about as big as a reputation pip was might be neat, which would be prefixed to the name directly and stand out pretty well.

Maybe even something extremely simple like this using bullet point type symbols like so to denote rank.
⚫⚫⚫⚫Admin
⚫⚫⚫Staff Admin
⚫⚫Super Mod
⚫Mod
⚪Supporter

Of course these are all just ideas. My point is simply that our usernames don't need loud ornamentation to designate our status. I'm kind of surprised that a lot of people here at PC don't really get that. While I admit that springing a change like this on us was kind of sudden and probably could have gone better with a little notice asking for cooperation for the experiment, I don't think that it was a bad idea at all. Personally I kind of hope all of us members could just sit down and work with our fellow members, who just happen to be staff, and work together to find a good way to compromise or devise a better system, since it's clear that the current one is in need of a little bit of polish.
Posted inUncategorized
Views 1636 Comments 19
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 19

Comments

  1. Old Comment
    I was more than disappointed at the reaction people had. I just sat there in disbelief repeating "Who the **** cares that much?" Who the **** cares that much? Why does it matter? Of all the things here to make a big deal about, that is something that needs to be discussed and argued about? And at the first moment the change took place? Honestly, people.
    Posted July 2nd, 2013 at 06:44 PM by
  2. Old Comment
    Melody's Avatar
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patchisou Yutohru View Comment
    I was more than disappointed at the reaction people had. I just sat there in disbelief repeating "Who the **** cares that much?" Who the **** cares that much? Why does it matter? Of all the things here to make a big deal about, that is something that needs to be discussed and argued about? And at the first moment the change took place? Honestly, people.
    That was a part of my reaction as well. I thought it was a bit ridiculous how extremely they reacted to the whole affair.

    While I could understand the reasons behind one or two of the many objections that were there, I didn't think those were anything negative enough to warrant feeling the same way.
    Posted July 2nd, 2013 at 06:49 PM by Melody Melody is offline
  3. Old Comment
    Livewire's Avatar
    We should just change the mod badges in the postbit to those imo
    Posted July 2nd, 2013 at 06:53 PM by Livewire Livewire is offline
  4. Old Comment
    awolfsquared's Avatar
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patchisou Yutohru View Comment
    I was more than disappointed at the reaction people had. I just sat there in disbelief repeating "Who the **** cares that much?" Who the **** cares that much? Why does it matter? Of all the things here to make a big deal about, that is something that needs to be discussed and argued about? And at the first moment the change took place? Honestly, people.
    I think people got so drastic and did care about it because as members of the forum, we should have a say in changes even ones so small as a usertag change. I think if a majority of the members aren't fine with a change ,it should be changed or an option should be given for it to be changed

    Though I do feel I myself was being a bit too dramatic last night and I'm sorry for that. I feel bad for over reacting to an experiment. If you guys feel it's necessary to change the usergroups that's fine but i feel it would be better if you at least keep the color cause too me none of the staff stand out as much with just plain letters at the symbol

    So I think if it's like this
    Username Username Username and then the same for supporter with the new badges and username that would be simple, yet stand out without being too "loud". I think the colors make it more obvious that whose staff and who isn't and it's more identifiable that way.

    Though whatever you guys decide to go with, I'm gonna try to be more accepting of, though i hope no one minds feedback because as a member of a forum, we should be allowed to give feedback.
    Posted July 2nd, 2013 at 07:16 PM by awolfsquared awolfsquared is offline
    Updated July 2nd, 2013 at 07:26 PM by awolfsquared
  5. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AWsquared View Comment
    I think people got so drastic and did care about it because as members of the forum, we should have a say in changes even ones so small as a usertag change. I think if a majority of the members aren't fine with a change ,it should be changed or an option should be given for it to be changed
    No. That isn't how it works. Being members of the forum doesn't entitle you to input on decisions just as being customers of a particular company doesn't entitle you to decisions on their products. I'm sorry if that comes across as rude, but that's how it is. That's how it is for moderators as well, unless it directly relates to their forum. Community decisions are made by the higher staff, not by the community as a whole. You're entitled to put feedback into whatever is done, but that feedback is simply feedback and may or may not dictate what the outcome of a particular experiment is.

    I hate how the solution to every problem these days has become a toggle to switch something on or off. People don't like rank images have an option to toggle those off for text. People who don't like these new experimental ranks now want a toggle for that. These days, the quick solution to appease for everyone and everything is a toggle option in the User CP and I think that's a shame just as I think its a shame people can't learn to adapt to change that doesn't even make that much of a difference. The color is still there, and an immediate title is shown to people who don't know what the color means.
    Posted July 2nd, 2013 at 07:28 PM by
  6. Old Comment
    Team Fail's Avatar
    I'd actually prefer these to the text or large badges that are currently put in place. Not gonna lie.
    Posted July 2nd, 2013 at 07:29 PM by Team Fail Team Fail is online now
  7. Old Comment
    Sydian's Avatar
    Quote:
    I was more than disappointed at the reaction people had. I just sat there in disbelief repeating "Who the **** cares that much?" Who the **** cares that much? Why does it matter? Of all the things here to make a big deal about, that is something that needs to be discussed and argued about? And at the first moment the change took place? Honestly, people.
    Apparently it's hard to understand that some people, myself included, don't like change, especially forced change and out of the blue change. I get that people like change. That's fine. But what bothers me is how people say these things and don't get that some people don't like change. There are opposite sides to situations and such. What seems like a minor deal to you is a major deal to someone else.

    I didn't like it cause I thought it was ugly, it was being forced, and people were less identifiable, especially for new people. If you liked it, you go right on ahead and like it. Hopefully it comes back as an option and both sides can have what they want. Overall, it's a trivial thing, but that won't change that I didn't like it.

    tl;dr Some people don't like their **** tampered with.

    Quote:
    I hate how the solution to every problem these days has become a toggle to switch something on or off. People don't like rank images have an option to toggle those off for text. People who don't like these new experimental ranks now want a toggle for that. These days, the quick solution to appease for everyone and everything is a toggle option in the User CP and I think that's a shame just as I think its a shame people can't learn to adapt to change that doesn't even make that much of a difference. The color is still there, and an immediate title is shown to people who don't know what the color means.
    I believe compromise is better than half the forum having to put up with something they think is hideous.
    Posted July 2nd, 2013 at 07:32 PM by Sydian Sydian is offline
  8. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sydian View Comment
    Apparently it's hard to understand that some people, myself included, don't like change, especially forced change and out of the blue change. I get that people like change. That's fine. But what bothers me is how people say these things and don't get that some people don't like change. There are opposite sides to situations and such. What seems like a minor deal to you is a major deal to someone else.

    I didn't like it cause I thought it was ugly, it was being forced, and people were less identifiable, especially for new people. If you liked it, you go right on ahead and like it. Hopefully it comes back as an option and both sides can have what they want. Overall, it's a trivial thing, but that won't change that I didn't like it.

    tl;dr Some people don't like their **** tampered with.



    I believe compromise is better than half the forum having to put up with something they think is hideous.
    Which is also a huge shame because people who are resistant to change are also people who I think are holding a lot of things from progressing.
    Posted July 2nd, 2013 at 07:35 PM by
  9. Old Comment
    awolfsquared's Avatar
    But shouldn't users get some inputs on things that happen around here? That's what Questions & Feedback is for right? And that's what I don't like about businesses, the smaller people get no say on changes to the place. Customer satisfaction should be the main priority right so why should we get kicked no input at all, that's unfair.

    And even though there is some color, I don't think it's enough, all the members look the same and the colors on staff too isn't too much. Having the color for staff/supporters just make them easier to identify than that small badge.
    Posted July 2nd, 2013 at 07:38 PM by awolfsquared awolfsquared is offline
  10. Old Comment
    droomph's Avatar
    I wasn't here for that :((((

    and it's probably a good thing too but :(((
    Posted July 2nd, 2013 at 07:40 PM by droomph droomph is offline
  11. Old Comment
    Antemortem's Avatar
    I'm fine with people not being accustomed to change, but not until they've given the new stuff a chance. If you just let things such as this, which was simply an example of a fleeting experiment, bother you, then how can you ever hope to see things that must change actually change in the future? That's my only issue with what happened.
    Posted July 2nd, 2013 at 07:55 PM by Antemortem Antemortem is online now
  12. Old Comment
    Drew's Avatar
    As an experiment, it was fine.

    Permanently, it actually makes them stand out more, because you have that chunky button going "STAFF MEMBER". xD; That's how they popped out to me, anyhoo. They're going to stand out either way. A rank is a rank, no matter what it looks like.
    Posted July 2nd, 2013 at 08:05 PM by Drew Drew is offline
  13. Old Comment
    I prefer the colored usernames more than the tags beside them, just me. I think the badges on the postbit are fine as is as well, this is all just my opnion, I don't see what's so bad about liking the current username styles, nothing wrong with prefering the way things are. I just didn't like the look of the tags :/ I know and am aware that I am just a user but that is my input. I hope the usernames will stay colored instead of having the tags beside them.
    Posted July 2nd, 2013 at 09:14 PM by Shiny Celebi Shiny Celebi is offline
    Updated July 3rd, 2013 at 09:07 AM by Shiny Celebi (adding stuff.)
  14. Old Comment
    Zorua's Avatar
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AWsquared View Comment
    But shouldn't users get some inputs on things that happen around here? That's what Questions & Feedback is for right? And that's what I don't like about businesses, the smaller people get no say on changes to the place. Customer satisfaction should be the main priority right so why should we get kicked no input at all, that's unfair.
    I honestly believe that you're thinking of PC too much as some sort of democracy, in which, as mentioned before by Nick in a thread that I absolutely do not remember, that it isn't. Pretty much almost everything (or rather, pretty much everything) you see on PC is a result of being decided by PC's administration. You can make suggestions as a member as to what you would like to see implemented in PC, but in the end, it goes through a vote by the higher staff because PC is their jurisdiction and they have the final say on whether or not any particular idea is going to go through.

    That's just about as far as member "say" goes, iirc. Call it unfair, but as far as I know, that is how an oligarchy works.
    Posted July 2nd, 2013 at 09:45 PM by Zorua Zorua is offline
  15. Old Comment
    awolfsquared's Avatar
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Comment
    I honestly believe that you're thinking of PC too much as some sort of democracy, in which, as mentioned before by Nick in a thread that I absolutely do not remember, that it isn't. Pretty much almost everything (or rather, pretty much everything) you see on PC is a result of being decided by PC's administration. You can make suggestions as a member as to what you would like to see implemented in PC, but in the end, it goes through a vote by the higher staff because PC is their jurisdiction and they have the final say on whether or not any particular idea is going to go through.

    That's just about as far as member "say" goes, iirc. Call it unfair, but as far as I know, that is how an oligarchy works.
    I really didn't think I was and I guess it's not. It seems most forums follow that same format, and that seems to work best I guess unfortunately. And as unfair as that may seem, i guess that's how it goes.
    Posted July 2nd, 2013 at 10:35 PM by awolfsquared awolfsquared is offline
  16. Old Comment
    Went's Avatar
    I LOVE the asterisk scheme. Really. It looks so simplistic.
    Posted July 3rd, 2013 at 01:34 AM by Went Went is offline
  17. Old Comment
    Kura's Avatar
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AWsquared View Comment
    So I think if it's like this
    Username Username Username and then the same for supporter with the new badges and username that would be simple, yet stand out without being too "loud". I think the colors make it more obvious that whose staff and who isn't and it's more identifiable that way.

    Though whatever you guys decide to go with, I'm gonna try to be more accepting of, though i hope no one minds feedback because as a member of a forum, we should be allowed to give feedback.
    That would've been cool, yeah!
    Posted July 3rd, 2013 at 04:01 AM by Kura Kura is offline
    Updated July 3rd, 2013 at 11:31 AM by Kura
  18. Old Comment
    Cherrim's Avatar
    I didn't mind the badges, I just thought they were impossible to read in the who's online list. Seriously, they were so distracting and at a glance you couldn't tell whether the badge belonged to the person it was in front of or behind of, which completely goes against the whole point of having them in the first place. (I assume they're there to differentiate members but if it's unclear unless you're squinting which member the badge is for...? Yeah, what's the point?)

    I think your symbols/colours idea is cute too but I fear it would have the same can't-tell-at-a-glance-who-it's-for problem that I had with the badges. They're less obnoxious though, so if username colours become a thing of the past I'd prefer those over anything else. :x

    Also the badges weren't centred right on posts which was driving me crazy to look at. For staff/supporters who had no descenders in their username, the badge looked so misplaced on the line. ><;
    Posted July 3rd, 2013 at 12:11 PM by Cherrim Cherrim is offline
  19. Old Comment
    Aphrodite's Avatar
    gee
    how dare members of a forum be resistant to the Change For The Sake Of Change mentality
    Posted July 5th, 2013 at 01:37 AM by Aphrodite Aphrodite is offline
 

All times are UTC -8. The time now is 07:42 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.