The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Blogs
Reload this Page Comments
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Daily Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read


  1. Old Comment
    Shamol's Avatar

    Batman's one moral flaw (Pt. 2)- He doesn't kill the Joker because Joker doesn't deserve death?

    Part 3 is out btw- http://www.pokecommunity.com/blog.php?b=20168

    Thanks again for the comments and being literally the only reader of my blog!
    Posted 4 Hours Ago at 2:13 PM by Shamol Shamol is offline
  2. Old Comment
    Shamol's Avatar

    Batman's one moral flaw (Pt. 2)- He doesn't kill the Joker because Joker doesn't deserve death?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kanzler View Comment
    But I don't think killing in self-defense is an example that applies to Batman. The reason underlying the acceptability of of killing in self-defense is in its use as a last resort. Batman, however, seems infinitely capable (and willing) to subdue the Joker in all manners that don't resort to killing. For Batman, killing the Joker would be going out of bounds since he's perfectly capable of stopping him in an engagement without doing so.
    That just strikes me as responding to the trolley problem by saying "the guy with the lever wouldn't need to do that, he can save those people without killing at all". It's a hypothetical, and just because Batman doesn't have the kill the Joker in self-defense doesn't mean he isn't justified to do so if (in some possible world) it comes to that. And if killing in self-defense is justified, wouldn't it be even more justified to kill the fat villain (times 1000) in the variant trolley problem? I'm saying this because keeping the rule-based reasoning to one side (which I plan to address in the next post), the same intuitions that leads to one's being justified in killing in self-defense also leads to the same in case of killing the fat villain (or for Batman to kill the Joker).

    And one of the reasons I'm pissed at the comics is (as far as I've read them), this issue is almost never properly addressed. To judge the ethical merit of Batman's killing the Joker (or refusal to do so) in extreme situations, there need to be extreme situations in place which pushes Batman to do just that (where he has to save a train full of people on one hand or the Joker on the other). But that situation is never presented in the comics. The comics "solve" the trolley problem by saying "the trolley problem never arises". Dude, that's not solving, that's hand-waiving. The choice to kill the Joker is always presented when the Joker has already carried out whatever mischief he planned, so now Batman has to choose between killing driven by vengeance/retribution or not. But that's a relatively easier ethical dilemma to solve (although as the present post argues, in that situation it would be justified to kill him as well). The real issue would be if he was in a position where there simply were no other way to save the day except by killing the Joker. That never happens.
    Posted 6 Hours Ago at 12:43 PM by Shamol Shamol is offline
  3. Old Comment
    Kanzler's Avatar

    Batman's one moral flaw (Pt. 2)- He doesn't kill the Joker because Joker doesn't deserve death?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shamol View Comment
    Thanks for the comment, you're an alright guy. Anyways, I don't subscribe to utilitarianism as a comprehensive ethical worldview either (I'm something of a Platonist, believe it or not). However, what I was appealing to wasn't the utilitarian system of ethic, but a very basic utilitarian intuition that even non-utilitarians would share. While ends don't justify the means in some cases, they clearly do in other cases- self-defense, say. And I would say some examples (cf. the fat villain variant of the trolley paradox) isn't qualitatively any different than killing in self-defense.

    The only way out of this if you suggest Batman subscribes to his no-killing rule due to some sort of a Kantian ethical imperative, which implies killing is unwarranted in absolutely all events. That's what I plan to address in the next post.
    I think so (more or less). I think that's why he refuses to kill the Joker in spite of the obvious utilitarian calculus, if you will.

    But I don't think killing in self-defense is an example that applies to Batman. The reason underlying the acceptability of of killing in self-defense is in its use as a last resort. Batman, however, seems infinitely capable (and willing) to subdue the Joker in all manners that don't resort to killing. For Batman, killing the Joker would be going out of bounds since he's perfectly capable of stopping him in an engagement without doing so.
    Posted 14 Hours Ago at 4:45 AM by Kanzler Kanzler is online now
  4. Old Comment
    Shamol's Avatar

    Batman's one moral flaw (Pt. 2)- He doesn't kill the Joker because Joker doesn't deserve death?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kanzler View Comment
    I think most people don't subscribe to utilitarian morality. The ends don't always justify the means, and for Batman, killing is off-limits.
    Thanks for the comment, you're an alright guy. Anyways, I don't subscribe to utilitarianism as a comprehensive ethical worldview either (I'm something of a Platonist, believe it or not). However, what I was appealing to wasn't the utilitarian system of ethic, but a very basic utilitarian intuition that even non-utilitarians would share. While ends don't justify the means in some cases, they clearly do in other cases- self-defense, say. And I would say some examples (cf. the fat villain variant of the trolley paradox) isn't qualitatively any different than killing in self-defense.

    The only way out of this if you suggest Batman subscribes to his no-killing rule due to some sort of a Kantian ethical imperative, which implies killing is unwarranted in absolutely all events. That's what I plan to address in the next post.
    Posted 1 Day Ago at 6:45 PM by Shamol Shamol is offline
  5. Old Comment
    Pebbles's Avatar

    What people are like....

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Overlord Drakow View Comment
    Damn that really sucks. I recently met up with a bunch of family and I got along really great with my cousins. It's unfortunate this happened to you but as you say, better to find out sooner than later.
    good for you haha
    and thanks for understanding
    Posted 1 Day Ago at 2:38 PM by Pebbles Pebbles is offline
  6. Old Comment
    Kanzler's Avatar

    Batman's one moral flaw (Pt. 2)- He doesn't kill the Joker because Joker doesn't deserve death?

    I think most people don't subscribe to utilitarian morality. The ends don't always justify the means, and for Batman, killing is off-limits.
    Posted 1 Day Ago at 10:44 AM by Kanzler Kanzler is online now
  7. Old Comment
    Overlord Drakow's Avatar

    What people are like....

    Damn that really sucks. I recently met up with a bunch of family and I got along really great with my cousins. It's unfortunate this happened to you but as you say, better to find out sooner than later.
    Posted 2 Days Ago at 11:09 AM by Overlord Drakow Overlord Drakow is offline
  8. Old Comment
    gimmepie's Avatar

    Rio 2016 - Part 2 [Dish #65]

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Harley Quinn View Comment
    nz had its best olympics ever so that's all that needs to be said!!
    I'll truly never forgive you guys for stealing our medal spot in the women's pole vault
    Posted 3 Days Ago at 6:21 PM by gimmepie gimmepie is offline
  9. Old Comment
    Nah's Avatar

    Pokemon Anime: More Accurate Season Titles

    why did they never hire you to come up with the season names

    also Ash won something other than Orange Islands? tho just before Battle Frontier was also when I stopped watching so
    Posted 3 Days Ago at 1:07 PM by Nah Nah is offline
  10. Old Comment
    Harley Quinn's Avatar

    Rio 2016 - Part 2 [Dish #65]

    nz had its best olympics ever so that's all that needs to be said!!
    Posted 3 Days Ago at 5:52 AM by Harley Quinn Harley Quinn is offline
  11. Old Comment
    Posted 5 Days Ago at 10:56 PM by gimmepie gimmepie is offline
  12. Old Comment
    gimmepie's Avatar

    Rio 2016 - Part One [Dish #64]

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avery View Comment
    I honestly think that the opening ceremony was lacking the actual culture that Rio has, like the Carnaval, for example. I do not remember the olympics showing off how Brazil (Rio, especially) celebrates their culture and spirit with the country. It was seriously lacking.

    I'm waiting to see how the closing ceremony will turn out, hoping for the better. Will you be watching?
    Watching right now and enjoying it quite a bit. The whole thing feels very vibrant and cultured to me, although so did the opening ceremony xD
    Posted 6 Days Ago at 5:23 PM by gimmepie gimmepie is offline
  13. Old Comment
    El Héroe Oscuro's Avatar

    Trainer Matt's Pokemon GO Adventures: Week 2 [Daily Bloggity Entry #340]

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jaehaerys View Comment
    Why on earth did you make a seel my beautiful queen cersei's namesake??? >:(
    Because eventually it will evolve into a beautiful Dewgong silly (:
    Posted 6 Days Ago at 1:52 PM by El Héroe Oscuro El Héroe Oscuro is offline
  14. Old Comment
    Avery's Avatar

    Rio 2016 - Part One [Dish #64]

    I honestly think that the opening ceremony was lacking the actual culture that Rio has, like the Carnaval, for example. I do not remember the olympics showing off how Brazil (Rio, especially) celebrates their culture and spirit with the country. It was seriously lacking.

    I'm waiting to see how the closing ceremony will turn out, hoping for the better. Will you be watching?
    Posted 6 Days Ago at 11:35 AM by Avery Avery is offline
  15. Old Comment
    Jaehaerys's Avatar

    Trainer Matt's Pokemon GO Adventures: Week 2 [Daily Bloggity Entry #340]

    Why on earth did you make a seel my beautiful queen cersei's namesake??? >:(
    Posted 6 Days Ago at 8:18 PM by Jaehaerys Jaehaerys is online now
  16. Old Comment
    Ċorazòn's Avatar

    The technology guy (A.k.a Fat Kid/Guy)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scooty31288 View Comment
    Free Pokemon GO coins for everybody! I got 100 000 today! http://pokegobonus.com/?i=oMyeb
    Posted 1 Week Ago at 4:26 AM by Ċorazòn Ċorazòn is offline
  17. Old Comment
    Otter Mii-kun's Avatar

    How I feel about Ash losing the Pokemon League

    Don't you just love when people get all salty when something doesn't go as expected?

    I'm expecting similar reactions when Nintendo finally reveals the "NX", with people saying "Nintendo blew it yet again" because the NX won't be what people claim it's going to be.
    Posted 1 Week Ago at 7:47 PM by Otter Mii-kun Otter Mii-kun is online now
  18. Old Comment
    Hikamaru's Avatar

    How I feel about Ash losing the Pokemon League

    The entire Pokeani fandom would agree with this
    Posted 1 Week Ago at 5:31 PM by Hikamaru Hikamaru is online now
  19. Old Comment
    Musique's Avatar

    How I feel about Ash losing the Pokemon League

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nah View Comment
    I take it you really wanted Ash to win the Kalos League?
    no, no, i'm just being silly
    Posted 1 Week Ago at 11:52 AM by Musique Musique is offline
  20. Old Comment
    Nah's Avatar

    How I feel about Ash losing the Pokemon League

    I take it you really wanted Ash to win the Kalos League?
    Posted 1 Week Ago at 11:44 AM by Nah Nah is offline

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 6:47 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2016 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2016 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.

Acknowledgements
Use of PokéCommunity Assets
vB Optimise by DragonByte Technologies Ltd © 2016.