The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Blogs > Rivvon
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

  1. Old Comment
    Rivvon's Avatar

    The Mysterious GS Ball

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jellicent♀ View Comment
    My mind could not process. It has the dumb.

    But I really never cared about it. I guess their desire to make it be forgotten even extended into the games, because instead of a GS Ball in Ilex Forest, we have to bring a random, funky Pichu into the Forest and then go back in time.
    Ha ha, that's alright! We all have those moments ^u^
    That's a very good point, though! The Spiky-Eared Pichu working as its replacement definitely plays a huge factor in the GS Ball's original meaning.
    Posted January 18th, 2013 at 08:17 PM by Rivvon Rivvon is offline
  2. Old Comment
    Jellicent♀'s Avatar

    The Mysterious GS Ball

    My mind could not process. It has the dumb.

    But I really never cared about it. I guess their desire to make it be forgotten even extended into the games, because instead of a GS Ball in Ilex Forest, we have to bring a random, funky Pichu into the Forest and then go back in time.
    Posted January 11th, 2013 at 10:47 AM by Jellicent♀ Jellicent♀ is online now
  3. Old Comment
    Rivvon's Avatar

    The Mysterious GS Ball

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jellicent♀ View Comment
    "In an interview with Masamitsu Hidaka in 2008, it was explained that the GS Ball was originally going to contain a Celebi that was to be the star of a large arc of the Johto saga. However, it was decided that Celebi would be the star of the fourth movie, so the story arc was viewed as redundant and shelved. The ball was left with Kurt with the hopes that viewers would eventually forget about it."
    Gotten from Bulbapedia.
    Yeah, I mentioned that in the second paragraph x3 That only applies to the anime, however. I'm primarily focused on the games c:
    Posted January 11th, 2013 at 04:52 AM by Rivvon Rivvon is offline
  4. Old Comment
    Jellicent♀'s Avatar

    The Mysterious GS Ball

    "In an interview with Masamitsu Hidaka in 2008, it was explained that the GS Ball was originally going to contain a Celebi that was to be the star of a large arc of the Johto saga. However, it was decided that Celebi would be the star of the fourth movie, so the story arc was viewed as redundant and shelved. The ball was left with Kurt with the hopes that viewers would eventually forget about it."
    Gotten from Bulbapedia.
    Posted January 11th, 2013 at 04:26 AM by Jellicent♀ Jellicent♀ is online now
  5. Old Comment
    Aphrodite's Avatar

    So. Much. HYPE!!

    please god let jigglypuff become a legendary
    Posted January 8th, 2013 at 01:07 AM by Aphrodite Aphrodite is online now
  6. Old Comment
    Rivvon's Avatar

    The Pokémon Government

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PEDRO12 View Comment
    If it wasn't for Ash and Co., Officer Jenny would be dead right now
    Thank God she isn't in real life, kids do a better job at protecting the world than she does I like to tell myself that she was only there originally for Brock to crush on, and it became a habit which went on to Best Wishes. :/ (I know that is not the case but I just tell that to myself to get over the fact that she even exists u_u).

    2cents~
    I think the whole idea of "kids doing a better job than the police force" just sort of trickled down from the games into the anime, lol! xD
    Posted November 14th, 2012 at 08:26 AM by Rivvon Rivvon is offline
  7. Old Comment
    Rivvon's Avatar

    The Pokémon Government

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toujours View Comment
    What about Officer Jenny?
    My blog post is pertaining to the games only; Jenny appears only in the anime, and it seems they have a different take on the police force when compared to the games.
    Posted November 14th, 2012 at 08:24 AM by Rivvon Rivvon is offline
  8. Old Comment
    Echidna's Avatar

    The Pokémon Government

    If it wasn't for Ash and Co., Officer Jenny would be dead right now ;-;
    Thank God she isn't in real life, kids do a better job at protecting the world than she does >_> I like to tell myself that she was only there originally for Brock to crush on, and it became a habit which went on to Best Wishes. :/ (I know that is not the case but I just tell that to myself to get over the fact that she even exists u_u).

    2cents~
    Posted November 9th, 2012 at 08:55 PM by Echidna Echidna is offline
  9. Old Comment
    Oryx's Avatar

    The Pokémon Government

    What about Officer Jenny?
    Posted November 9th, 2012 at 06:13 PM by Oryx Oryx is offline
  10. Old Comment
    Rivvon's Avatar

    Gen1ers

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hikari10 View Comment
    Nice blog entry Rivvon, Gen1ers get on my nerves given I am someone who started with the later generations.
    Thank you :D Even people like myself and my friends who started with gens 1 and 2 are irritated by gen1ers. It's okay for gen 1 to be your favorite, but gen1ers take it way too far.
    Posted October 29th, 2012 at 10:46 PM by Rivvon Rivvon is offline
  11. Old Comment
    Hikamaru's Avatar

    Gen1ers

    Nice blog entry Rivvon, Gen1ers get on my nerves given I am someone who started with the later generations.
    Posted October 29th, 2012 at 08:37 PM by Hikamaru Hikamaru is online now
  12. Old Comment
    Rivvon's Avatar

    Gen1ers

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sydian View Comment
    Gen1ers are the exact reason I hate when certain topics pop up in PGC. I'm always afraid some super ultra omega gen1er will pop in and just completely derail the topic for everyone, and it ends up getting locked. Because of obsessive people like that, those types of threads are on automatic warning when they show up. I just don't have time to tolerate "gen everything but I sucks" attitudes. Or anything similar, really. Though I don't know a lot of people that are as hot for other gens as some are for gen I. It's always people that are too into gen I that cause those threads to go sour, lol.

    But yes, well said.
    Thank you C: But yes, it's always a shame when a perfectly good thread gets ruined by these kinds of attitudes :c On the one hand, those kinds of posts can always be left alone, but in such a discussion-based place users will naturally want to defend the franchise they love so much. It's disappointing that there has to be so much conflict :\
    Posted October 29th, 2012 at 07:32 AM by Rivvon Rivvon is offline
  13. Old Comment
    Sydian's Avatar

    Gen1ers

    Gen1ers are the exact reason I hate when certain topics pop up in PGC. I'm always afraid some super ultra omega gen1er will pop in and just completely derail the topic for everyone, and it ends up getting locked. Because of obsessive people like that, those types of threads are on automatic warning when they show up. I just don't have time to tolerate "gen everything but I sucks" attitudes. Or anything similar, really. Though I don't know a lot of people that are as hot for other gens as some are for gen I. It's always people that are too into gen I that cause those threads to go sour, lol.

    But yes, well said. :)
    Posted October 28th, 2012 at 02:31 PM by Sydian Sydian is offline
  14. Old Comment
    Rivvon's Avatar

    Why N is a Successful Character: He is not a Rival

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobandbill View Comment
    My issue with that is that it is shown too late in the game, or hardly touched upon. He admits that yes, he had Pokemon show they are happy with people... but this happens in the castle part of the game, not before. His confliction was not shown steadily, and so when it was revealed it was a bit hard to 'believe', as everything before it not not show this fact very well.

    What are these most other characters that are liked/disliked just due to design? Hardly anyone comments on Blue/Bary's looks for instance. People like/hate Silver because he is a douche. And so forth. Can't say this is a common problem that doesn't generally just effect any character anyway more than others as well (bar Lyra, she's the most polarising of that issue imo), and I've seen people like N just because he looks cool/pretty too. *shrug*

    Not that some of the characterisation and attempt at plot isn't a step in the right direction, but imo there's work to be done yet on Game Freak's part if they intend to improve that. Even from what I've played of b2w2 there's still areas to improve in. Guess nothing's perfect though, eh?
    Thankfully we see enough of rivals to get a general feel of their personality; I was thinking more along the lines of the Gym Leaders, who weren't really active in the story until gen 5.

    The way Game Freak went about characterizing N could definitely use some refinement, but it's a step in the right direction, which is mainly what makes me happy about it. Noting his success in the fandom and merchandise, there's no reason for Game Freak to go back to bland characters; they can only move forward from here.
    Posted October 23rd, 2012 at 07:18 PM by Rivvon Rivvon is offline
  15. Old Comment
    bobandbill's Avatar

    Why N is a Successful Character: He is not a Rival

    Quote:
    For me, the fact that he is so conflicted (believing that he should separate people and Pokemon, but then sees the protagonist and starts to be hypocritical and feels bad about it) makes him even more successful. He has an interesting psychological thing going on where he knows that Pokemon shouldn't be separated from people, but he doesn't want to change his actions so he simply changes his words.
    My issue with that is that it is shown too late in the game, or hardly touched upon. He admits that yes, he had Pokemon show they are happy with people... but this happens in the castle part of the game, not before. His confliction was not shown steadily, and so when it was revealed it was a bit hard to 'believe', as everything before it not not show this fact very well.

    What are these most other characters that are liked/disliked just due to design? Hardly anyone comments on Blue/Bary's looks for instance. People like/hate Silver because he is a douche. And so forth. Can't say this is a common problem that doesn't generally just effect any character anyway more than others as well (bar Lyra, she's the most polarising of that issue imo), and I've seen people like N just because he looks cool/pretty too. *shrug*

    Not that some of the characterisation and attempt at plot isn't a step in the right direction, but imo there's work to be done yet on Game Freak's part if they intend to improve that. Even from what I've played of b2w2 there's still areas to improve in. Guess nothing's perfect though, eh?
    Posted October 19th, 2012 at 07:01 PM by bobandbill bobandbill is offline
  16. Old Comment
    Rivvon's Avatar

    Why N is a Successful Character: He is not a Rival

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobandbill View Comment
    I suppose whether he is successful is subjective. I did not feel he was successful because of what you said for instance:
    Said creepiness and social awkwardness felt more defining to me rather than what he was fighting for and all. He admits that every Pokemon he talked to was happy, and yet he continued to try to convince people he was right. That doesn't sit well with me, especially as he went and says stuff like 'I don't care what you say or that you beat me in a battle to show how much your Pokemon believe in you, becaise I'm going to get a giant legendary dragon and make people listen to me!' (outside the second gym, iirc).

    Any pity factor like how Ghetisis contributed to him being like that came too late in the game to be a significant factor too imo; by the time that was revealed I already disliked N too much.


    So I would argue he wasn't successful in the viewpoint that the theme of the games - should Pokemon be caught/trained/etc - was not given a decent portrayal given how N acted and various other factors. But that's another rant.

    As for 'is ___ a rival' stuff, I imagine part of it is down to the fact people know about these characters typically before the games come out. N was one of the first things revealed in BW for instance, many months before it game out in Japan, which was a half-year before it came out in English! And as the 'pattern' of Pokemon is fairly known (the general gist remains 'get starter catch pokeymans beat gym leaders become gym leader meanwhile beat Team ___ from *some plot*'), it's easy for people to assume 'I guess that guy is the/a rival!'.

    Case in point, the new scientist guy in B2W2? When he was first revealed people assumed he was 'the professor', as every gen game has had some new professor.
    For me, the fact that he is so conflicted (believing that he should separate people and Pokemon, but then sees the protagonist and starts to be hypocritical and feels bad about it) makes him even more successful. He has an interesting psychological thing going on where he knows that Pokemon shouldn't be separated from people, but he doesn't want to change his actions so he simply changes his words. Still, I can definitely understand how that would make him not the most likable character for everyone. But wouldn't that in a way also signify to his success? And by success I don't mean that he's the "greatest character," heavens no. But most other characters are liked or disliked because of their designs--N is liked or disliked because of his actions, which are the main factors that contribute to character.
    Posted October 19th, 2012 at 06:35 PM by Rivvon Rivvon is offline
    Updated October 19th, 2012 at 06:51 PM by Rivvon
  17. Old Comment
    bobandbill's Avatar

    Why N is a Successful Character: He is not a Rival

    I suppose whether he is successful is subjective. I did not feel he was successful because of what you said for instance:
    Quote:
    This is why N is a successful character.

    He makes us uncomfortable.

    And not just because he is creepy, socially awkward, and likes ferris wheels. No, he makes us uncomfortable by challenging the rules Game Freak has already established. No longer can we easily identify who is our rival and who is the king of Team Plasma. Things are not so clear-cut anymore; we need to think for ourselves who we believe to be our friends, foes, and rivals.
    Said creepiness and social awkwardness felt more defining to me rather than what he was fighting for and all. He admits that every Pokemon he talked to was happy, and yet he continued to try to convince people he was right. That doesn't sit well with me, especially as he went and says stuff like 'I don't care what you say or that you beat me in a battle to show how much your Pokemon believe in you, becaise I'm going to get a giant legendary dragon and make people listen to me!' (outside the second gym, iirc).

    Any pity factor like how Ghetisis contributed to him being like that came too late in the game to be a significant factor too imo; by the time that was revealed I already disliked N too much.


    So I would argue he wasn't successful in the viewpoint that the theme of the games - should Pokemon be caught/trained/etc - was not given a decent portrayal given how N acted and various other factors. But that's another rant.

    As for 'is ___ a rival' stuff, I imagine part of it is down to the fact people know about these characters typically before the games come out. N was one of the first things revealed in BW for instance, many months before it game out in Japan, which was a half-year before it came out in English! And as the 'pattern' of Pokemon is fairly known (the general gist remains 'get starter catch pokeymans beat gym leaders become gym leader meanwhile beat Team ___ from *some plot*'), it's easy for people to assume 'I guess that guy is the/a rival!'.

    Case in point, the new scientist guy in B2W2? When he was first revealed people assumed he was 'the professor', as every gen game has had some new professor.
    Posted October 19th, 2012 at 05:37 PM by bobandbill bobandbill is offline
  18. Old Comment
    Lornami's Avatar

    Why N is a Successful Character: He is not a Rival

    A rival is a kid around your age who is also starting a journey, who you battle. :p
    Posted October 19th, 2012 at 07:03 AM by Lornami Lornami is offline
  19. Old Comment
    Hikamaru's Avatar

    Why N is a Successful Character: He is not a Rival

    Yeah, I love the blogs. So much fun!
    Posted October 18th, 2012 at 10:04 PM by Hikamaru Hikamaru is online now
  20. Old Comment
    Rivvon's Avatar

    Why N is a Successful Character: He is not a Rival

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hikari10 View Comment
    Nice opening blog post Rivvon, and welcome to the supporters club!
    Yay, thank you! :D I'm very happy to be able to blog here!
    Posted October 18th, 2012 at 10:03 PM by Rivvon Rivvon is offline

All times are UTC -8. The time now is 11:24 AM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.