Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > DaleH771

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.



Conversation Between DaleH771 and miksy91
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 7 of 7
  1. miksy91
    October 4th, 2012 09:44 PM
    miksy91
    Heck, that's not the right attitude at all
    Look, join Skeetendo Inc. and check out "Global FAQ and Resource Thread" by kkj1116 there. You'll find lots of neat stuff there and I've no doubt you wouldn't understand how hacking works by reading some tutorials in there. You've got nothing to lose, expect for time...
  2. DaleH771
    October 4th, 2012 10:15 AM
    DaleH771
    Haha I guess, thats probably where the passion wore off, overcame all my troubles and learned how to make a decent hack still though, I'll probably stop hacking Pokemon games not long from now. I keep having less and less time... one day maybe, one day I'll get back into it
  3. DaleH771
    October 4th, 2012 10:07 AM
    DaleH771
    Haha I guess, thats probably where the passion wore off, overcame all my troubles and learned how to make a decent hack still though, I'll probably stop hacking Pokemon games not long from now. I keep having less and less time... one day maybe, one day I'll get back into it
  4. miksy91
    October 4th, 2012 09:57 AM
    miksy91
    Isn't that what rom hacking is all about ?
    Rom hacking is not mapping, not inserting tiles with a game-specific tile inserter, not adding more events to a map with A-map either by using some editor's command for "add new event here".

    If you're not interested in what you're calling "hacking", why not learn how to do the stuff in a proper way then? You might have seen my earlier modifications on pokemon crystal which I made with zero-knowledge on hacking so far. Yet little by little, I started studying rom hacking in general, how bytes work, what bits are, what is "ram", how Gameboy processor handles data, ..., and I'm still on that path learning more and more all the time.

    I for myself have quite a lot of free time to spend on rom hacking although I do have plenty of other interests as well. And even of this rom hacking part, let's say, 70% of it is really working on Dark Future. The remaining 30% goes for advising others, learning by doing so, asking questions, studying more etc.

    Not sure why I really wanted to say all this but related to what I pointed out earlier, rom hacking is a lot more fun when you actually have to use your brain to do something. I also used to like doing stuff your way but it's really not that fun without having sort of a problem solving behind it. http://www.wordiq.com/definition/ROM_hacking
  5. DaleH771
    October 4th, 2012 09:44 AM
    DaleH771
    Hmmm, I see what you mean.
    I just have very little time for hacking anymore. My passion for it wore off after a while, I really want to make a beautiful hack but I don't have the incentive to sit down and spend hours scripting etc. Mapping I'll do, because it's what I do best, but general scripting, it's not for me. I know how to script, and script well too, it just gets tedious...
  6. miksy91
    October 1st, 2012 10:14 AM
    miksy91
    Why's that? I can tell you that hacking turns out a lot more fun when you actually know what you're doing, experimenting and finding out more and more. Doing simple changes with a hex editor isn't really any more difficult than doing the exactly same things with a game-specific editor. For example in Silver, if you wanted to make a trainer have a lv 10 Magikarp you'd simply write his pokemon data as:
    0A 81 FF in which 0A is the hexadecimal form of "10", 81 "129" (Magikarp's number in pokedex) and FF for ending the pokemon data. It's really not that complicated...

    And once you understand the basics you can move on into doing more difficult things. And I can say for myself that I would have never gotten this far if it wasn't for my curiousity in learning how to hack G/S/C (instead of FireRed for instance).

    I'd say, if you are even a bit interested in learning how to hack Silver, go for it! You can even apply most of the stuff you know about hacking GB/C games into GBA ones as well. I could go and create an excellent GBA pokemon rom hack if I wanted to even though I haven't been messing around with tools such as XSE and A-Map at all (because I already know what they "do" without actually having to use them).
  7. DaleH771
    October 1st, 2012 09:51 AM
    DaleH771
    Hey, cheers for your response on the questions thread. Tbh, as map as mapping with a Silver ROM is, I don't think I'd have the time or patience for Hex Editing and dealing with the multiple issues it will bring... Besides, I have a pretty neat looking hack in progress anyway, a Firered hack. I'll just stick to that, especially as I've been hackjing Firered for years now Thanks for your response!

All times are UTC -8. The time now is 10:55 PM.