Hey dude, didn't mean to bash you at your thread. Just lost my cool a bit. Here's some tips for you to improve your mapping:
You shouldn't get a mapper. If you were to ask for help from mappers, you'd never learn. Your starting town seems pretty big to me. Let me give you a summary of what a town consists of. Think about a real town, not the ones that gamefreak made back when they were noobs:
1) Houses, a few of them. For bigger starting towns, there are normally up to 4 houses. Try to put them in columns, 2 by 2.
2) Flowers. Flowers are just decoration stuff. You should basically just litter them around the whole map. Don't make patterns so that they are more like nature-grown.
3) Trees. Basically, the whole border of most maps are trees. make them surround the whole map except for town exits. Remember, people like natural-grown trees. Let your imagination run wild! Try combining big trees with small trees, add a variety of different trees of different colors.
4)(Optional) Mart. As you see in Flora Sky, there is a mart in the starting town. What bad effects did it cause? Nothing. Just because other people don't put marts in their starting town, doesn't mean you can't. Just think about it, what harm can it cause?
The only obstacle I see is that you don't have much cash at the start of the game.
5) NPCs. NPCs are important especially for beginner mappers because They cover up the emptier spaces. Try to include some. You can also create two NPCs at two different corners and let them make references about each other. Take a look at this scenario:
There is a guard at the entrance of the town, if you talk to him, he'll say:
''I guard the entrance to BLABLA Town. The other guard guards the entrance of the exit from BLABLA Town. I am a far nicer guy them him ''
And the guard at the exit says ''I guard the exit of BLA BLA Town. The other guard guards the entrance. I am loads more good looking than him.
See what I mean?
6) Signs. Signs are important. There are plenty of Sign types. Trainer Tips signs, town signs, house signs, lab signs, etc etc. Try to include more of them.
7) Lakes. Lakes play quite a big part in good mapping. They take up lots of space and link to the towns before, unless you want the starting town to be like the original R/S/E where the town is on the edge of the island.
8)Last but not least, we have Berries. Almost NO beginning towns that I know have berries. But then again, I see no harm in putting them in starting towns.
Try to be more creative and original! That is what makes a good hack.
Before we release CapuMon:BackGranite XE and CapuMon:WhiteGranite X:Rebirth Edition we are releasing CPMN BGX:FE(CapuMon:BlackGranite X:Fixed Edition).That's essentialy BlackGranite X , but without any bugs.There will be 3 stages on its development:
Stage 1:All music fixed.
Stage 2:All mapping fixed+Stage 1 fixes
Stage 3:All scripting fixed+Stage 1+2 fixes.
Expect a lot to come!
Okay guys, I will (or vort rather) abandon CapuMon: DarkShadow and we'll start working together on CapuMon:BackGranite XE and CapuMon:WhiteGranite X:Rebirth Edition.Expect a lot less bugs and a lot more features(such as RecentUpdate, which works more or less like LaZ's Live Beta system,but better :-) )
Take a look at my Pokémon Red - Gen. II Graphics Patch!
Play through the original Pokémon Red we all know and love with huge improvements such as all new sprites from GSC!
No more pixelated "grainy" back sprites!
It's kind of like a sneak-peak to alot of the features included in my main hack, Pokémon Prototype!
Leave your feedback in the hack's thread!
And while you're at it, tell your friends!
Thanks a bunch!